Magnolia Pictures | Release Date: December 3, 2010
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 93 Ratings
Watch Now
TonyDec 11, 2010
A giant mess of a film. Ryan Gosling and (a surprisingly tolerable) Kirsten Dunst do the best they can with a story that can't decide what genre it belongs in. This simply just doesn't work. Andrew Jarecki, whose "Capturing the Friedmans" wasA giant mess of a film. Ryan Gosling and (a surprisingly tolerable) Kirsten Dunst do the best they can with a story that can't decide what genre it belongs in. This simply just doesn't work. Andrew Jarecki, whose "Capturing the Friedmans" was fascinating, can do better than this. Expand
QRITQDec 24, 2010
From the opening strains of Steely Dan's "Daddy don't live in that New York City no more," I had a bad feeling about "All Good Things."

Released in 1975, the album Katy Lied was Steely Dan's 4th studio album, and it is difficult to understand how it could have been playing on anyone's radio in 1971, when our movie opens...

A fine cast, and apparently proficient crew managed to create a movie in which no one is like-able, and not one person, let alone the music supervisor, could get it together to have a contemporary song playing in the opening scene.

Missing wife, hapless "disco people" brother, best friends, U.S. Senators; you name them, there's a pretty good reason no to like any of them. We are encouraged to hate the rich, the poor, the powerful and the powerless equally.

Okay, I liked the dog.

As you are probably already aware, the film is a thinly veiled fictionalization of a tabloid story from the 80's, and then 2000's, that follows, through voice-overs, the unfortunate, often tragic (for others) life of a NYC real estate heir.

There's goofy love story stuff, Oedipus-sy angles, requisite disco-era drug use... all perfectly fine components for a good story except - we don't care about one person we meet in the movie.

Kirsten Dunst's portrayal of Katie McCarthy brings us as close as we get to someone we like, but for whatever reason, her inability to remove herself from the circumstances that eventually, (obviously), lead to her disappearance makes it tough to care for even her.

Ryan Gosling is fine as the tortured, hapless son, Frank Langella is as always, a unique presence in a film, and Philip Baker Hall almost wins us over as Malvern - but sadly, we care what happens to absolutely no one in the film-- and face it, if we're not rooting for somebody we're really just rooting that this pondering mess of a film just finally come to a merciful end.
NoahCowardJan 30, 2014
This looks like it should be an entertaining movie, but isn't. Strong cast, Ryan Gosling, Kirsten Dunst, Frank Langella, and Philip Baker Hall are all among my favorites. But good actors cannot always overcome a lousy script and that's theThis looks like it should be an entertaining movie, but isn't. Strong cast, Ryan Gosling, Kirsten Dunst, Frank Langella, and Philip Baker Hall are all among my favorites. But good actors cannot always overcome a lousy script and that's the problem here.

There's lots of mood but no real surprises. You can see what's coming a mile away. When it was over I was left thinking, that's it?

Obviously many critics disagree with me. The movie garnered generally positive reviews. I think sometimes critics go easy on certain types of movies that may seem kind of interesting and have a particular style. My problem is that this movie never really delivers on its promise and ultimately is quite disappointing.
moonman1994Jan 27, 2013
On a level of 1 to **** this is pretty damn ****. Unrealistic, poorly "based on a true story" and seriously Ryan Gosling dressed up as a woman? Yeah that was sooooo convincing.
BroyaxJan 26, 2017
Ryan Gosling est un acteur que j'apprécie, pas un très bon acteur loin de là mais bien dirigé et dans certains rôles sombres ou atypiques, il fait le boulot comme ici dans cette incarnation d'u gars un peu dérangé du ciboulot. Kirsten DunstRyan Gosling est un acteur que j'apprécie, pas un très bon acteur loin de là mais bien dirigé et dans certains rôles sombres ou atypiques, il fait le boulot comme ici dans cette incarnation d'u gars un peu dérangé du ciboulot. Kirsten Dunst par contre est mauvaise en tout, partout et supporte mal le poids des ans, ce qui lui enlève le rare intérêt qu'on aurait pu lui trouver. Son joli minois est marqué par ailleurs par l'abus d'alcool et autres substances psychotropes plus ou moins licites. La voir se traîner comme une limace pendant tout le film est très démoralisant.

Il n'y a pas qu'elle qui fait la limace : le film également, incroyablement mou du genou ne nous arrache que grimaces de mécontentement et soupirs d'ennui. On respire fort et on souffle bruyamment pour s'oxygéner le cerveau gagné par une apathie désagréable. L'excellent Frank Langella qui joue le père intransigeant nous réveille parfois mais trop rarement. Las, nous éteignons le poste de télévision bien avant la fin de ce sous-produit cinématographique.