6.3

1. Jan 16, 2014
    In his late seventies Redford reminds us that despite his plethoric and undeniably lustrous acting career he can still shine brighter than ever, in a movie where not only he is the only actor but he has hardly any lines. The director J.C. Chandor on the other hand proves that his noteworthy first feature film ‘Margin Call’ was no fluke and has deservedly gained a place in my list of directors whose next project I will definitely watch. Expand
  2. Jan 28, 2014
    This is an extraordinary and riveting film and deserves much more than nominations --and it has had far fewer than it should have --it deserves a win. For the screenplay, for the performance, for the sheer beauty of it. It felt like a book that you cannot put down, that you urgently want to know how it ends, that you don't want to end. I hope this film and Robert Redford's performance in it win at the Spirits. It has such spirit. Expand
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    The movie gets no points for originality as we have all seen survival films before, including "Kon-Tiki" from this past year, which was also set on a ship. However, Redford is so good and the filmmaking is superb so I was riveted to the screen the entire time. I think everyone can relate to the snowball effect of one bad thing happening after another and you can't catch a break. The Redford character is relentless in his persistence to survive, and you can't help but root for him because he never gives up. He keeps one step ahead of death due to his survivor skills. Kudos to the filmmaking crew with all the close ups, underwater photography, and great ship/ocean noises making you feel like you're on the boat with him. Expand
  4. Nov 12, 2013
    I had just listened to the TED Radio Hour and the tale of Roz Savage rowing across the Atlantic before going to see All Is Lost. It was a very interesting juxtaposition of the real and fiction. All is Lost was riveting and Redford's performance, with almost no spoken words, was a triumph of acting with eyes and body. You may quibble with details, but I never let them get in the way of my absorption into the movie and Redford's performance. Expand
  5. Feb 26, 2014
    Redford should have been nominated for an Oscar, and in any other year would have been (2013 was so strong for film and especially male leads!) I found it gripping despite the ambiguity and lack of dialogue because you can't help wondering about the steps he takes for survival and would you have done the same thing, etc. Wished for a clearer ending but I guess they wanted us to discuss it. Beautiful photography and music, great acting, great truth. Expand
  6. Feb 20, 2014
    This is a truly amazing film and I'm shocked it gets such a bad user score. The user scores on Metacritic are usually very reliable. The mood, the acting, the alternating sense you get of hope and hopelessness, just make the film riveting for me. It's a pure action spectacle so I fail to see how anyone could have found it dull. Some of the shots are simply breathtaking too. Robert Redford is now a new hero of mine. Expand
  7. Feb 7, 2014
    When I saw 'The Company You Keep' I said why would he take risks at this age. He took even riskier job in this movie. I heard that he also lost his hearing during filmmaking for this. Robert Redford, the hardworking man at 77. Don't think he's the only one but Bruce Willis, Stallone and Schwarzenegger doing the same. They are capable but this man put lots of effort to give his best.

Just a year ago we saw 'Life of Pi' about a young Indian boy who was lost in the great Pacific. This time an old man who lost in the Indian ocean finds hard to survive during his drift on the current of the ocean. Performance was undoubtedly great along with fine direction and good visuals. The movie had only one character so the talkings were insufficient but in a right and convicing way.

I am not doubting, it was a great movie but the timing was bad. I just enjoyed 'Life of Pi' and 'Gravity' and I still feel it fresh in my mind. So to see a movie like this in a short span I was not much excited. The end was good and did not appeal strongly, but kept simple as that. Many people had displeasure on that portion, that could be a reason to vastly dislike it.

In a way the movie had its own strength, especially in the story. When you think the container is what's gonna spoil and damage expedition, actually it won't but storm. Like that there are many others makes you think one and takes you into another. One of the good movie from 2013 according to performance sadly he was not nominated for academy awards. It got only one nomination, in the sound editing category. It is a tough competition in that list so it can be anybody's game.
  8. Mar 31, 2014
    Not a film for lovers of fast paced action yarns, "All is Lost" is a reflective survival story in which a single man (Redford) awakes on his boat to find himself alone and sinking. With virtually no dialogue, this is a film of thought and the simple need to rely upon the human instinct for survival.
    Beautifully shot and directed, the film at its heart has a career best performance from
    Redford and must rank as one of the films of the year. Expand
  9. Dec 16, 2013
    Another film about the human spirit’s ability to persevere we do not need, yet here we are again.

In the straights on Sumatra off the coast of Indonesia a lone sailor (Robert Redford) awakens to find his sailboat's cabin filling fast with ocean. A massive whole has been torn through the side after a freak, overnight collision with a rogue shipping container. In the vastness of the
    Indian Ocean the spectacular odds of this collision’s happening seem staggering, and yet this is only the beginning of the misadventure.

After patching up the side of the boat, even despite the total loss of all modern navigation equipment, the danger seems to cease. For a moment it seems like all that’s left is for the lone sailor to venture into the nearest port and seek repairs, but of course we know this is not the story.

It is as if the hulking metal mass has delivered upon the lone sailor a divine wrath from which there is no escape. When we see the container, a faceless representation of some mega conglomerate, smashed through the side of the delicate sailboat, sweatshop-produced shoes spilling out into the ocean, the irony is overwhelming. The very world the lone sailor has set out to get away from has tracked him down.

Before we start the film, just from the title alone, we know what the outcome will be, yet despite the unoriginal plot and standard shipwreck story conventions, the film succeeds. Fantastically succeeds.

Almost completely devoid of dialogue, Robert Redford exudes a stolid, matter-of-fact persona in the face of catastrophe. He toils steadily, remaining steadfast in his manner. It is exhausting just watching him labor endlessly and even though he is performing, this performance cannot really be considered acting. Simply going through the motions of this role is enough to exude awe, especially when he is being thrown around wildly by the untamed, open ocean; the work that it must have taken to play this role is obvious and seems to strip away acting practices; what we really see is a man just trying not to die.
  10. Dec 2, 2013
    A similar picture by Aleksandr Sokurov, Mother and Son, is an example of another brilliant film that uses action instead of dialogue, as well as time to tell its story. But to give this film an unusually low score would be the result of a lack of film literacy. I'd caution those who hated All Is Lost to avoid films by Andrei Tarkovsky and Satyajit Ray, too.
  11. Nov 11, 2013
    "All is Lost" will likely come across in different ways to different individuals. The movie-going public has a detached concept of the situation that Robert Redford's protagonist faces think TV hit "Survivor", where a tough day involves performing stunts brainstormed by the show's staff who are camped on the other side of the island and the big downside is getting blackballed by backbiting co-contestants.
    I am a student of actual survival stories such as the Uruguayan rugby team's 1972 crash in the Andes, or Steven Callahan's story of surviving 76 days in a life raft in the Atlantic in his book "Adrift".
    This is the basis for the "All is Lost" script, watching another human actually fighting for his life. Even though the film plays a little fast and loose with the technical aspects I think the movie succeeds masterfully in creating a powerful existential action movie without dialogue and limited special effects. It has the ascetic feel and pathos of Hemingway's "Old Man and the Sea" but eschews dialogue, depending instead on Redford's superb acting to communicate the determination, fear, doubt and defeat of a man facing his mortality. This film is a rare gem in a pile of trinkets.
  12. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the year's most exciting movies barely has a word of dialogue, and is a completely absorbing lost at sea adventure. It's easy to take Redford for granted here, and in hindsight, it's hard to imagine another actor pulling this off quite as well.
  13. May 3, 2014
    There are no other actors, no other locations, no other dialogue. All we get is just one guy, one sea, one story. This is the kind of film that needs to be made more often. Everything about it is powerful.

1. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Dec 23, 2013
    With no 3D, no friends and no hope, Redford and Chandor show how survivalist instincts can stoke thrilling, thoughtful cinema. If Gravity grabbed you, hop aboard and hold tight.
  2. Reviewed by: Chris Hewitt (1)
    Dec 23, 2013
    A triumph of pure cinema and wonderful visual storytelling from Chandor, who must now be considered the real deal, while Redford is sublime in what could well be the performance of his career.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Nov 7, 2013
    The presence of Robert Redford gives the character weight, if not depth, because we bring to the film everything we know about the actor from other movies. Redford’s characters have seemed unflappable for more than 40 years: sometimes cool, sometimes cocky, but almost always master of a situation. To see him beginning to flounder is to see a new Redford, one who catches us off guard.