All the Pretty Horses

6.8

1. HenkO.
    May 24, 2002
    If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the movie.... boring!!
  2. MaryZ.
    Feb 9, 2001
    Beautifully filmed with attention paid to detail as Billy Bob Thornton does so well. Although Damon and Cruz are two handsome people, their relationship seemed a bit weak.
  3. MaloryO.
    Mar 19, 2003
    All the Pretty horses was extremely moving, with a very well written script. I cry every time i watch it. I thought it was definately Matt Damon's best role ever and Billy Bob Thorton is a genius. And the Movie's score made it even better!
  4. YoonC.
    Sep 13, 2003
    The first 15 minutes has great momentum like the best of Peckinpah. But, as story progresses, Damon proves a limited actor and the story keeps lurching forward without examining any of the situations or emotions we encounter along the way. When it's over, we kinda feel "Huh"? The film forgets to accentuate the several climaxes. Still, handsome filmmaking in the classical sense with The first 15 minutes has great momentum like the best of Peckinpah. But, as story progresses, Damon proves a limited actor and the story keeps lurching forward without examining any of the situations or emotions we encounter along the way. When it's over, we kinda feel "Huh"? The film forgets to accentuate the several climaxes. Still, handsome filmmaking in the classical sense with many vivid details and compelling moments. Expand
  5. moniqueg.
    Sep 10, 2006
    I read a lot of bad reviews but rented it anyway. I was VERY PLEASED!! It was a great example of story telling. My husband even loved it and he hates sappy girl stuff. I enjoyed it and am glad I didn't listen to all of the negative comments. I found it very refreshing. Billy Bob did a great JOB!
  6. Mar 19, 2015
    Just a tad long, but overall a great story, and the scenery is way over the top. Well acted by Matt Damon and Henry Thomas, but felt like Lucas Black stole the movie. Felt like a throwback to the old westerns even though the set took place in the 40's, and a well written script to go with it. Billy Bob Thornton does a great job of directing and piecing it all together. Well worthJust a tad long, but overall a great story, and the scenery is way over the top. Well acted by Matt Damon and Henry Thomas, but felt like Lucas Black stole the movie. Felt like a throwback to the old westerns even though the set took place in the 40's, and a well written script to go with it. Billy Bob Thornton does a great job of directing and piecing it all together. Well worth watching and taking the time as the scenery itself is well worth the journey!! Expand

1. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Larry Terenzi
    A botched effort. Not necessarily bad, but hardly compelling either.
    You can see how this movie could have been jacked up into a one-level action picture, but what makes it special is how Thornton modulates the material.
  3. Thornton, directing his first film since the minimalist "Sling Blade" (1996), has a much better grip on the material when he's focused on the scruffy desert landscape and the adventures of the two Texans.