All the Real Girls

7.8

1. DHickman
    Oct 5, 2003
    Paul Scheider is a fantastic actor.
  2. MarcD.
    Oct 26, 2003
    A beautiful film which expresses complex and genuine emotions in such an elegant way. What an excellent recommendation, Carrie. Thank you!
  3. DavidS.
    Apr 8, 2003
    It is rare that a movie comes out that I want to see again and again, but when this one ended I turned to my friend and said "This one I am getting when it comes out on DVD." What a really great film, the acting, the setting, the story. Really well done.
  4. BrianF.
    Sep 28, 2003
    This was a cinematically beautiful and emotionally potent film. At least as good as George Washington. The ending was wondeful. The reviewer below obviously suffers from a stale and not very open mind.
  5. WilliamM
    May 13, 2008
    This film is REAL! And Zooey Deschanel is one of the reasons it is real. She is someone who cannot be other than real. Look at some of her interiews on YouTube and you'll see the same, honest, unabashedly genuine young woman. It is refreshing to see an actor who really is who they appear to be--not just a "poser." By "poser" I'm not referring to "character acting"--acting in This film is REAL! And Zooey Deschanel is one of the reasons it is real. She is someone who cannot be other than real. Look at some of her interiews on YouTube and you'll see the same, honest, unabashedly genuine young woman. It is refreshing to see an actor who really is who they appear to be--not just a "poser." By "poser" I'm not referring to "character acting"--acting in which the actor's personality is completely abandoned and they assume an entirely different psyche. For me, contrary to the commonly accepted definition, inherent in character acting IS a residual element of the actor's personality, but only if that residual element is a reflection of an, open, honest, REAL personality--one the actor is both comfortable with and confident in. Zooey Deschanel, if you will, is destined to be recognized as one of the rare actors who successfully combines the accepted definitions of personality and character acting. What makes this film really great, however, is all of its elements-- the small town, North Carolina setting, the rest of the acting, the screenplay and the cinematography--being just as unpretentious as Ms. Deschanel is in playing one of the leading roles. Expand
  6. MeganB.
    Nov 14, 2003
    I'm sure it wasn't perfect, but I believe it was the imperfections that made it beautiful. The dialogue was so realistic, it was painful at times.
  7. StuartQ.
    Mar 21, 2003
    Some of the most natural performances I have seen in several years. Green's script and direction allow the actors to just be, and the dialogue shows how real people talk, where every sentence is not thought-provoking, yet it shows the feelings one character has for another.
  8. Sara
    Sep 16, 2003
    By the way, in spite of other reviews, I loved the ending. It was perfect. This is a beautiful, touching, film.
  9. TonyP.
    Feb 19, 2003
    it has been a while since i have felt anything for characters in films or what happens to them, here is one that i felt every nuance of fight and fraility in a sinking ship called romance.
  10. ChadS.
    Mar 31, 2003
    It's hard for me to gauge if it's Paul Schneider, the actor; or Paul Schneider as Paul, that prevents "All the Real Girls" from truly soaring. It could be that Zooey Deschanel, the actress; and Zooey Deschanel as Noel, are no match for a merely competent actor, or an ordinary guy. Deschanel got my attention when she says, "One day you'll be cool," to Patrick Fugit in It's hard for me to gauge if it's Paul Schneider, the actor; or Paul Schneider as Paul, that prevents "All the Real Girls" from truly soaring. It could be that Zooey Deschanel, the actress; and Zooey Deschanel as Noel, are no match for a merely competent actor, or an ordinary guy. Deschanel got my attention when she says, "One day you'll be cool," to Patrick Fugit in "Almost Famous". I understand Paul's devastation at Noel's news, but I didn't care about his feelings. I took it personally somehow. Deschanel is better than all the current actresses in her age group. What breaks the deadlock, of course, is David Gordon Green, who likes to show where his rural people live with many evocative shots of their physical surroundings. His films feel so immediate because we get a good look at where they live. The dialogue here is a little more artful than his striking debut "George Washington" and every bit as believable. Green just might be the leading light in independent film. Expand
  11. Elliott
    Aug 29, 2003
    One of the best, truest films I have ever seen. The dialogue was so gorgeous and heartfelt that on many, many occasions I was almost moved to tears. Deschenel's performance is probably the best of the year.
  12. Sep 28, 2010
    All The Real Girls has a horrible script with many instances of awkward dialogue, but that does not keep it from being a great film. What makes this film work is that it feels unbelievably real and it does not follow in the steps of an average romance film. It has a simple plot, but it actually feels like you are watching a true relationship and not the ideal "true love" story seen in aAll The Real Girls has a horrible script with many instances of awkward dialogue, but that does not keep it from being a great film. What makes this film work is that it feels unbelievably real and it does not follow in the steps of an average romance film. It has a simple plot, but it actually feels like you are watching a true relationship and not the ideal "true love" story seen in a Nicholas Sparks movie. There are some truly emotional moments that just gave me goosebumps as I solely watched two individuals talking. Superb acting and immense emotion make this raw film great and a hidden gem in Independent film. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    The best movie of the last 20 years about young people in love is 1989’s.
    Deschanel and Schneider--who both give rich, funny performances--and everyone around them have inner lives that don't always translate into words. When they speak, it's usually in dialogue halfway between poetry and inarticulate fumbling.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Green shoots his groping lovers in the art-film style -- long takes, static frame -- but his tone isn't at all minimalist; it's achingly, breathtakingly romantic, like the old Hollywood love stories his kids have never seen.