1.7

Overwhelming dislike- based on 246 Ratings

1. FordN.
    Jan 20, 2008
    People sometimes talk about Boll's film as "so bad it's good", but actually they're not that good. I've seen two of his films - Alone in the Dark, and one starring that guy who was in Starship Troopers - and I have to conclude that Boll has no sense of empathy, no understanding of human relationships, and a childish sense of drama. His movies look like they were made People sometimes talk about Boll's film as "so bad it's good", but actually they're not that good. I've seen two of his films - Alone in the Dark, and one starring that guy who was in Starship Troopers - and I have to conclude that Boll has no sense of empathy, no understanding of human relationships, and a childish sense of drama. His movies look like they were made by someone with the mentality of a sociopathic teenage boy - your typical internet troll, in fact! Funny how the trolls hate him... Jealousy? Expand
  2. Jan 3, 2014
    Completo absurdo, um dos piores filmes que vi em toda minha e com certeza um dos piores já feitos. Um vergonha que filmes como esse sejam produzidos...
  3. keithw.
    Jan 30, 2005
    An epic waste of time and money.
  4. NickW.
    Oct 20, 2005
    Alone in the Dark; it strikes fear in me the fact that every night I live with this complete crap in my DVD collection. I can't believe I bought this waste of film. I swear it's haunted too because I can't sell it for more than 50 cents.
  5. LaurenceH
    Horrible! Disgusting! Stinks!
  6. LarryF
    Worst of 2005 yet!
  7. RanyP.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Worth crap! No... not even. It was a total waste of time.
  8. ElijahS.
    Feb 1, 2005
    How? How in God's name does Uwe Boll have a career? There's a movie called American Movie, about a guy who wants to make a movie really badly. He doesn't sound like the next Kubrick, but Jesus, no matter how bad he is he can't possible compete with Uwe Boll. Mr. Boll, if you're reading this, please, please, I beg you, one filmmaker to another, stop it. Stop it How? How in God's name does Uwe Boll have a career? There's a movie called American Movie, about a guy who wants to make a movie really badly. He doesn't sound like the next Kubrick, but Jesus, no matter how bad he is he can't possible compete with Uwe Boll. Mr. Boll, if you're reading this, please, please, I beg you, one filmmaker to another, stop it. Stop it right the hell now. You are not talented. Not in the slightest. Just quit it, you're starting to be sad. My main question is how the person who made the Salton Sea can be struggling to make their next picture, whereas Uwe has a nice career going squeezing out cinematic excrement. What's really astonishing is the fact that his movies has continually lost money. How? I just want to know. Is he rich or something? Independently wealthy like Steve Bing so he can force himself into the movies? Or have the studio execs in Hollywood developed some amazing chronic? Expand
  9. AB
    Feb 2, 2005
    The only thing even related to this movie that is scary is the fact that Uwe Boll might try to direct another movie. "Alone in the Dark" is every bit diserving to be a top contender for worst movie ever. It's even as astoundingly horrid as Boll's abominable "House of the Dead (another video game adaption that serves only as a terrible insult to the game)." But, I must admit that The only thing even related to this movie that is scary is the fact that Uwe Boll might try to direct another movie. "Alone in the Dark" is every bit diserving to be a top contender for worst movie ever. It's even as astoundingly horrid as Boll's abominable "House of the Dead (another video game adaption that serves only as a terrible insult to the game)." But, I must admit that I am having nightmares. Who wouldn't after watching such an atrocious movie? Expand
    Feb 4, 2005
    Just as bad as the critics say it is. Good thing I didn't spend any money on it. For an interesting read, check out what the original screenwriters had to go through in dealing with Uwe Boll: http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2649
  11. JayJ.
    Feb 7, 2005
    Uve Boll is a hack who takes halfway decent or entirely bad video games and makes them into even worse movies. The man is singlehandedly destroying any chance that any video game has to ever possibly become a good movie. He must be stopped, by force if necessary.
  12. TheFrog
    Apr 8, 2005
    This movie sux. And I mean SUX. One of the worst movis I have ever seen. Dawsons' Creak is a superb one, compared with this bunch of cheap efects, and copied stuf. If you have seen starship troopers, if you have seen alien or if you even like sci-fi a bit, better spend money on a hamburger and coke. Not worth the film rolles it was filmed on.
  13. JesseM.
    Jun 30, 2005
    What the hell was this? How in the SWEET GOD does Uwe Boll get work? He's a complete MORON. I was watching the Making of the movie when he said "The creator of the game contacted me because he said he liked my work on "House of the dead" " I think I damn near cried because I was laughing so hard. And what's even more pathetic is he was PROUD of it. Uwe Boll should never come in What the hell was this? How in the SWEET GOD does Uwe Boll get work? He's a complete MORON. I was watching the Making of the movie when he said "The creator of the game contacted me because he said he liked my work on "House of the dead" " I think I damn near cried because I was laughing so hard. And what's even more pathetic is he was PROUD of it. Uwe Boll should never come in contact within a HUNDRED Yards of another movie, ever again. Or even be associated with it. I hope he reads all of these reviews, and Uwe if you are. YOU'RE A MORON. Expand
  14. cathyh
    Jul 1, 2005
    This movie will rule the razzies. Worst movie, worst script, worst director, worst, worst, worst, far and away the worst of 2005. Tear your eyes out terrible.
  15. ShawnO.
    Aug 3, 2005
    Alone In The Dark is a film starring Christian Slater, Tara Reid and Stephen Dorff apparently based on a Atari video game that I've never heard of. I watched this last night and I'm still scratching my head over it. Where to begin with all of the problems with this movie. In the beginning, God created titles and text, however, he never intended them to be scrolled on a screen Alone In The Dark is a film starring Christian Slater, Tara Reid and Stephen Dorff apparently based on a Atari video game that I've never heard of. I watched this last night and I'm still scratching my head over it. Where to begin with all of the problems with this movie. In the beginning, God created titles and text, however, he never intended them to be scrolled on a screen and voiced over at the same time...If I wanted to read a book I wouldn't have used my Blockbuster free movie pass. I though this garbage in the beginning of the movie was confusing because of the text and voice-over done at the same time then I viewed it with the sound off, and then I tried to listen without looking at the screen...you know what? It didn't matter. That garbage in the beginning was confusing as hell. Note to Uwe Boll: Never confuse your audience in the opening moments of an action movie... it pisses them off. After we get through all of that nonsense, this film becomes a hodgpodge of poorly edited, incongruous scenes. The film is so bad that it seems out of order. Did anyone who made this realize that there were no big surprises or reveals anywhere in the movie and that there was no mystery because everything that was revealed (the big twists) was explained in the first 20 minutes of the film. The surprises in this movie were about as surprising as finding out that Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader in SW:III. The funny thing about his movie is that I thought it reminded me of a video game and I didn't even know that it was based on one until the end of the movie! Aside from the horrible story, plot, interaction between characters, etc., there are two bright points. One, Christian Slater can act and apparently is the only person in this film who can. He does a very servicable job with very poorly written dialogue and frankly, should be ashamed of this career choice. Second, I must say that the special effects are fantastic and the cg 'monsters' are very believable. But these battle scenes are pointless and they just go on fo ever. I didn't realize that Uwe Boll worked on 'House of the Dead' (...turned that garbage off 20 minutes into it) as well, but I wasn't surprised considering that I was reminded of that abortion while watching this. One thing I can say is that 'Alone' was definitely better than 'House', but that's really not saying much considering I've seen driver's ed. films that were better than 'House'. Expand
  16. StefanB.
    Mar 2, 2006
    I was really looking forward to renting this on Netflix, since I heard it was the horror film equivalent of 'Showgirls' but alas, it was not. It was just bad...not the 'so bad it is good' variety..just really really bad.
  17. BThomas
    Jan 28, 2005
    It is SO obvious that a lot of these old critics have not ever even touched a video game. This isn't 1983 guys. Oh, and this movie was terrible. Uwe Boll needs to quit.
  18. MikeA.
    Jan 31, 2005
    I am astounded. This movie makes Gigli look like The Godfather. Uwe Boll is obviously an untalented hack, but what surprises me is that SOMEONE in the funding of this film didn't stop and say "uh...are we sure that putting money into this script is a good diea?" The revelation in this movie is Tara Reid -- here is a film funded by Canadian money, and she can't even learn to I am astounded. This movie makes Gigli look like The Godfather. Uwe Boll is obviously an untalented hack, but what surprises me is that SOMEONE in the funding of this film didn't stop and say "uh...are we sure that putting money into this script is a good diea?" The revelation in this movie is Tara Reid -- here is a film funded by Canadian money, and she can't even learn to pronounce "Newfoundland" correctly when the cameras are rolling. I think there was a time when I thought Tara Reid was attractive. I just can't say that anymore. She is a truly lousy actress and is widely known throughout Hollywood as being dumb as a rock, but she doesn't have the looks any more, either. She is not growing old gracefully, and my guess is that she doesn't have much of a career left, even in films that require little more than a blonde bimbo to fill the screen. In the end, I have to say that I'm glad I saw this really awful film. Whatever mistakes I make in life, however low I sink, however hard I fall...I will at least be able to say to myself "at least I was not involved in the production of Alone In The Dark". Expand
  19. JohnP.
    Jan 30, 2005
    The worst movie I've ever seen.
  20. BonesM.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Uwe Boll is proof that the Nazis were simply one in a long line of German afronts to humanity. Tara Reid's acting is faker than her breasts and the special effects in this movie are so awful they make her boob job look it was done by the Hand of God in comparison. Christian Slater's career is officially over. Pack it up and buy a house in the Midwest, Mr. Slater; there's no Uwe Boll is proof that the Nazis were simply one in a long line of German afronts to humanity. Tara Reid's acting is faker than her breasts and the special effects in this movie are so awful they make her boob job look it was done by the Hand of God in comparison. Christian Slater's career is officially over. Pack it up and buy a house in the Midwest, Mr. Slater; there's no possible way to rebound from this. You'll have to find other places to impersonate Jack Nicholson. Same thing goes for you, Mr. Dorff. You'll have to find some other audience to appreciate the fact that the best thing that can ever be said about your acting is that you come off as an older, uglier, cheaper Christian Slater. This isn't a movie. It's one of those video game music videos. Hopefully this movie accomplishes for numetal as a genre what it will accomplish for the careers of everyone involved: swift and brutal death. Expand
  21. DwightV.
    Jan 30, 2005
    I still can't believe it was that bad......is this a joke?......no seriously is it?
  22. TimL.
    Jan 30, 2005
    This movie must have been produced by the same geniuses out there who voted for Bush.
  23. SangHeeJ.
    Feb 26, 2005
    This was totally and utterly stupid.
  24. Jeff
    Feb 27, 2005
    Thank you, makers of the film, for stealing my $5.50.
  25. AndrewR.
    Feb 2, 2005
    Not worth the effort to comment. So bad it makes Plan 9 from Outer Space look like a Shakespearean triumph!
  26. GrahamM.
    Oct 26, 2005
    This "Uwe Boll" is making games look bad to critics that do not know about games. If Uwe Boll gets its hands on a game that could actually make a great movie, it would be like a .50 caliber shot in the face of the gaming world!
  27. Mar 19, 2012
    I think I could make a better movie with a 240p camera. Terrible in every way. I would never make anyone watch this movie...............................
  28. Apr 13, 2012
    Uwe Boll will always be remembered as one of the most horrific, stupid and pathetic directors of the decade, seriously, try this as an experiment, rent Alone in the Dark, then rent something like Meet the Spartans, or Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, watch Alone in the Dark first, and the others will be much less painful to watch...
  29. Apr 3, 2013
    Absolute garbage. NOTHING in this movie is any good! The only reason I give it a 1 is because Christian Slater in it, and I like him. A shame he wasted his time on this filth!

Overall:
    I would say, if you see a copy of this anywhere, it is your duty as a film lover to destroy it. This is the anti-movie. It must be purged from the Earth!!!!!!
  30. Jun 7, 2014
    This movie is really dumb...

This movie is really dumb...

Is not even the good kind of dumb, is just moronic dumb; like one of does movies you see and feel like you are just getting dumber by just watching it... I mean, you have to be really uncreative to ripoff the design of the synomorphs from the alien franchise, why are all the action scenes shoot in the dark? whats the point of recording an action scene if your audience is not going to be able to watch it? Is like showing your dad a drawing you made in the dark, how is he going to see it?

To have in title the word "Alone" the main character is always in company... It's so dumb I eventually ended up laughing at it. If you are looking to laugh out with your friends while having pizza and beer, then this movie is for you...

Overwhelming dislike - based on 25 Critics

Here is the horror-action genre at its silliest and most uninspired.
  2. That this bit of pustulence is based on a video game of the same name is no surprise. It explains the thin plot, characters and abundant gunplay.
  3. Slater narrates as if reading a restaurant menu. Reid seems to have learned each long sentence in segments, so she wouldn't be overtaxed.