6.1

1. Sep 25, 2011
    The movie's cast is seriously spoiled. But despite these obstacles, "Alpha Dog" does a pretty good job maneuvering itself chronologically till the end.
  2. PnArdyPnArdy
    May 13, 2007
    Boring, dull, tragic and artificial. Don't recommend.
  3. Sep 17, 2010
    Based on actual events that took place in 1999, drug dealers fall out, kid brother gets kidnapped, shenanigans happen.
    I have never seen a film where I wanted all the characters to die within the first five minutes of them being on screen. Tries to be slick, witty & wit da kidz but just comes across as brash, brainless & plain annoying.
  4. ChristopherW.
    May 6, 2007
    Anton Yelchin and Justin Timberlake provide the way inside this film. Virtually every character in 'Alpha Dog' is despicable and unsympathetic, but there is something emotionally honest and somewhat purposeful that develops out of the most unlikely of friendships between Yelchin and Timberlake. I really think Timberlake played his cards right in this one. If not for this Anton Yelchin and Justin Timberlake provide the way inside this film. Virtually every character in 'Alpha Dog' is despicable and unsympathetic, but there is something emotionally honest and somewhat purposeful that develops out of the most unlikely of friendships between Yelchin and Timberlake. I really think Timberlake played his cards right in this one. If not for this pairing, the film would have remained utterly bereft of focus and empathy. Despite its many artistic flaws, the tragic ending does indeed seem, well, tragic...and emerges as the heart piece in this cold depressing film. Expand
  5. GregH.
    Jan 12, 2007
    Justin Timberlake single-handedly brought this movie down. Sounds like a pre-pubescent little boy acting like a gangsta.
  6. KathiS.
    Jan 8, 2008
    As a 47-year-old woman with a 53-year-old husband we did not expect to love this movie. We did, though. Timberlake was great but I thought the rest of the cast was, too. I don't kn ow why it received all the bad reviews. Was it really just the cursing. Big deal. I know it was disturbing but real life often is. We loved the movie and plan on buying the DVD.
  7. JamesC.
    Jan 14, 2007
    We have our first nominee for "Worst Movie of the Year." Yes, we have bad acting, horrendous dialogue, choppy editing, and really bad make-up. Mr. Timberlake stick to singing, you have done 3 clunker films in a row. Mariah Carey does one bad film and gets crucified. Madonna , ditto. Where is the outrage!!! ??? The only decent actor in this turd of a movie is Ben Foster. John Cassavetes We have our first nominee for "Worst Movie of the Year." Yes, we have bad acting, horrendous dialogue, choppy editing, and really bad make-up. Mr. Timberlake stick to singing, you have done 3 clunker films in a row. Mariah Carey does one bad film and gets crucified. Madonna , ditto. Where is the outrage!!! ??? The only decent actor in this turd of a movie is Ben Foster. John Cassavetes must be rolling in his grave!!!! A complete and utter failure of a film. Expand
  8. Grit
    Mar 20, 2007
    Justin is as good an actor as a singer. What a surprise! And to the haters, stop.
  9. JohnP.
    May 21, 2007
    And I thought Kids & Bully were already disturbingly bad. Enough already, stop it with the teenage nilhism and move on the something new. I don't need to be sworn at 30 times a second to get the point. Their was no point. It is to bad that Nick Cassavetes couldn't have picked up on some of his dad's movie making talent. Hard hitting reality checks but all done with terrific And I thought Kids & Bully were already disturbingly bad. Enough already, stop it with the teenage nilhism and move on the something new. I don't need to be sworn at 30 times a second to get the point. Their was no point. It is to bad that Nick Cassavetes couldn't have picked up on some of his dad's movie making talent. Hard hitting reality checks but all done with terrific acting and not 24/7 shockarama B.S. Highly recommed you watch this movie while you are asleep because you won't get one single iota of edification or pleasure and at least you'll get some rest. Good night. Expand
  10. DeclanM
    Jun 21, 2007
    complete and utter rubbish
  11. time
    Sep 4, 2007
    I nearly wet myself when I found out Justin Timberlake was playing a street thug. What next Stevie Wonder in Driving Ms. Daisy 2? The only good role for Justin may be a castrated choir boy.
  12. JanB.
    Jan 5, 2008
    The worst movie of 2007 i've seen. Had doubts about Timberlake's acting skills, but he was the only one making the movie a little bit interesting. Very very boring movie.
    Jan 10, 2007
    If nothing else, Alpha Dog's worth a look for the performance of Justin Timberlake, the moral center of a movie sorely in need of some conscience. Already a gifted comic actor--his Saturday Night Live appearances are now anticipated events--he proves himself able to go to a pitch-black place.
  14. PatrickH.
    Jan 21, 2007
    Surprisingly effective after the fact - with a clean visual style and some strong acting moments.
  15. CodyM.
    Feb 14, 2007
    I've gotta agree with James C; Mariah & Madonna get blacklisted in Hollywood for doing a bad movie yet Timberlake keeps on getting roles even though he acts like he's still in the mickey mouse club doing a disney special or something. He should really stick to singing (or whatever you call that nasal whining thing he does!).
  16. GerronK.
    Mar 8, 2007
    First of all, Justin Timberlake's performance is the most poignant one in the entire film. The way he behaves (as some of you all put it: as the nasal whining person) is required of his character. He is supposed to be the human in the entire fiasco and he portrays it finely. The movie as a whole was a bit of a mess, but the film came together in the last 30 minutes, and with its First of all, Justin Timberlake's performance is the most poignant one in the entire film. The way he behaves (as some of you all put it: as the nasal whining person) is required of his character. He is supposed to be the human in the entire fiasco and he portrays it finely. The movie as a whole was a bit of a mess, but the film came together in the last 30 minutes, and with its tragic ending, is a smart film for such an early year release. Expand
  17. RichardH.
    May 11, 2007
    This film was laugh out loud bad. I'd put it up there with classics such as Showgirls as a terrible films so bad they're entertaining. Has some nice titties in it too, that's about it. Justin Timberlake surprisingly isn't a terrible actor, if er, he did any acting, considering there was practically no plot or anything coherant or good to work with. Blah, just a total This film was laugh out loud bad. I'd put it up there with classics such as Showgirls as a terrible films so bad they're entertaining. Has some nice titties in it too, that's about it. Justin Timberlake surprisingly isn't a terrible actor, if er, he did any acting, considering there was practically no plot or anything coherant or good to work with. Blah, just a total crappy film overall, wants to be Scarface, but is just totally camp and poop. Thank you. Expand
  18. SaraG.
    May 8, 2007
    I couldn't decide if I should laugh or cry, the whole thing was really confusing...They really should've picked a genre and stuck with it, also it was shocking to find that it was based on actual events. Not very believable.
  19. ConorK
    Jun 7, 2007
    good movie, captivating scenes, true story so it had to be good
  20. AndrewC.
    Jan 12, 2007
    Although the characters are a bunch of idiots I really liked Nick Cassavetes style and thought that he really captured their whole scene very well.
  21. olivers.
    Nov 3, 2007
    I usually am more a fan of the classics than new films, however i found this film enjoyable and to have a very good story. I thought it depicted the characters perfectly and gave shock and horror. I am not at all a Justin fan but acted exceptionally well in this film. All in all the acting was great, the script was great and the plot was great.
  22. Stpehanie
    Jan 13, 2007
    I thought this movie was very good. I liked everything about it, to the actors, to the drama, everything. This movie was very mind catching, and really hit me at the end. It was a very sad story and I'm glad someone smart made the movie.
  23. PaulR.
    Oct 17, 2007
    I can't believe all the negative reviews. I thought the movie was very good! The acting was great, even from Timberlake. Sad ending, but I read the MSNBC story, so I knew it was coming.
  24. GaborA.
    Dec 28, 2007
    This movie is indeed bad, but bad isn't the most apt description. Absurd is. Everything about this movie is absurd from the story to the directing to the editing. The acting is the most ridiculous. JT takes this as an opportunity to show us how black he is, not at all. Foster, who is usually reliable, is an over the top joke. Emile Hirsch does a Leonardo DiCaprio impersonation the This movie is indeed bad, but bad isn't the most apt description. Absurd is. Everything about this movie is absurd from the story to the directing to the editing. The acting is the most ridiculous. JT takes this as an opportunity to show us how black he is, not at all. Foster, who is usually reliable, is an over the top joke. Emile Hirsch does a Leonardo DiCaprio impersonation the whole movie. And everyone else just acts stoned even if they're not. Expand
  25. Kevin
    Jan 27, 2007
    Everyone involved in this movie should be deeply embarrassed - plot is weak, acting is worse, and the script is disastrous.
  26. SeanF.
    May 13, 2007
    This film really surprised me with how well it depicted the strange world of a group of LA wigger, wannabe gangsters. These small time thug's world spirals out of control, as they try to 'keep it real' and be OG's... I thought this movie was a good commentary on the senselessness of gangsta rap, and the attempts of suburban white youth to imitate gangster culture. This This film really surprised me with how well it depicted the strange world of a group of LA wigger, wannabe gangsters. These small time thug's world spirals out of control, as they try to 'keep it real' and be OG's... I thought this movie was a good commentary on the senselessness of gangsta rap, and the attempts of suburban white youth to imitate gangster culture. This film reminded me a little bit of Todd Solondz or Harmony Korine's movies, I even picked up a bit of a Tarantino (for a younger generation) feel to the movie. Somewhat original, fairly thought-provoking film. Expand
  27. XtianC
    Jan 19, 2008
    Enjoyable, and well acted. A startling insight into true events, it shows how kids are becoming more and more desensitized ad anti-social. Excellent social comment.
  28. RobinR
    Feb 26, 2008
    It saddens me that this movie has been put aside by viewers because of the words "Justin's in it so why watch?" This film was vulgar, I believe it was on a top 100 list of some sort for how many times it says the "f word." However, Alpha Dog is one of my favorite movies because of the reality vibe it gives. I laughed and I cried. Alpha Dog should definitely be considered one of the It saddens me that this movie has been put aside by viewers because of the words "Justin's in it so why watch?" This film was vulgar, I believe it was on a top 100 list of some sort for how many times it says the "f word." However, Alpha Dog is one of my favorite movies because of the reality vibe it gives. I laughed and I cried. Alpha Dog should definitely be considered one of the best films of 2007. The buildup to the climax of the plot line is just wonderfully portrayed by Yelchin and yes, even Timberlake. His acting was very good and this. I really wish people could see him as an actor off the street and not view him as an image of his past. He has evolved quite well, and Alpha Dog is a big step in the rise of his success. Overall, I thought this film was beautifully acted and carried out. Expand
  29. FilipeM.
    Oct 13, 2009
    A glossy yet unflinching portrait of violent, hedonistic teenagers. Bruce Willis and Sharon Stone chew the scenery, while Justin Timberlake gives a noteworthy performance. Anton Yelchin is able to bring all of the conflicting emotions of Zach and conveying all of it beautifully.
  30. Oct 28, 2010
    I'm absolutely against violence, but the rage of Ben Fosters character spoke to me. I found a sincerity in the acting that I wont forget. This is one of my favorite movies; primarily due to the base emotions it elicited in me. It's not for everyone, but if you feel this movie is for you I highly recommend it.
  31. Jun 13, 2011
    The issues with the movie were the beginning was very convoluted. Then once the movie got going it became a very good movie. However at the end it left a few hole that should have been answered. Over all it was an enjoyable movie but could have been better.
  32. Mar 6, 2012
    This movie deserves more credit from everyone. The development of the relationship between the kid and timberlake's character is easily the biggest thing this movie has going for it. The story is absurd and I don't know how much of this is "true" but what I do know is that by the end I felt for the characters, so it obviously did something right.
  33. Mar 12, 2013
    This movie shows the real face of the most American people. I liked it, because it has a unpredictable story. It's great to watch with friends. So i recommend it with my final score 7/10
  34. May 4, 2015
    n save for a few solid laughs. I laughed, a LOT - far more than I expected to. With all of the cookie cutter schlock that has "something for everyone" box office appeal these days, my standards have become ridiculously low for comedies. This raised them right back up there, kinda like the original Hangover did. Cameron Diaz's Teacher is as fun as Billy Bob's Santa was. Hollywood should embrace the

1. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Writer-director Nick Cassavetes' sprawling dramatization recklessly blurs the line between reconstruction and reality in ways that are admittedly interesting, if more than a little artistically suspect.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Wilonsky
    Timberlake walks off with the movie. Too bad it's not worth stealing.