• Release Date: Oct 30, 1998
8.8

1. Jan 31, 2015
    One of the greatest movies I have seen in a while. Edward Norton played his controversial role so well he could have been arrested for being so racist. The actor who played his brother (John Connor in Terminator 2) was very good as well. The plot was great -- well everything about it was fantastic really.
  2. Jan 7, 2015
    This movie is a must watch! Yes it's tough,rude and brutal at momments (no spoilers), but i can't deny this movie's amazing story and message to all people!
  3. Dec 23, 2014
    "American History X" is immensely relevant to modern audiences, perhaps now more than ever. A gritty and provocative drama that puts in graphic terms the dangers of racism and hatred, propelled to greatness by Edward Norton's mesmerising and powerful performance and his interplay with Edward Furlong is one of the most affecting pairings in film. And the ending is shattering no matter how"American History X" is immensely relevant to modern audiences, perhaps now more than ever. A gritty and provocative drama that puts in graphic terms the dangers of racism and hatred, propelled to greatness by Edward Norton's mesmerising and powerful performance and his interplay with Edward Furlong is one of the most affecting pairings in film. And the ending is shattering no matter how many times it's watched. Expand
  4. Dec 21, 2014
    American History X is purely brilliant. It dispels and breaks down racism and prejudice without bashing it. Finally, a film that can convey a willingness to open oneself to new ideas, without writing off certain beliefs as taboo or evil. I can't say it doesn't take any side, but it certainly doesn't force any side on the viewer, and instead forces us to assert the situation as a whole.American History X is purely brilliant. It dispels and breaks down racism and prejudice without bashing it. Finally, a film that can convey a willingness to open oneself to new ideas, without writing off certain beliefs as taboo or evil. I can't say it doesn't take any side, but it certainly doesn't force any side on the viewer, and instead forces us to assert the situation as a whole. It's just an excellently directed and acted film in every way, and I think everyone should get the chance to witness what it has to offer. Expand
  5. Nov 19, 2014
    American History X is one of the most shocking, brutal, disturbing and evil spirited films I've ever seen. Edward Norton gives an absolute masterclass and the two performances he gives either side of his characters transition are both incredibly captivating. There's no doubting how manipulative and pretentious this film can be. And at times the propaganda can even feel persuasivelyAmerican History X is one of the most shocking, brutal, disturbing and evil spirited films I've ever seen. Edward Norton gives an absolute masterclass and the two performances he gives either side of his characters transition are both incredibly captivating. There's no doubting how manipulative and pretentious this film can be. And at times the propaganda can even feel persuasively targeted at the audience. But to the films credit that's what makes it so compelling. And ultimately you cannot believe such evil, destructive & irrational people like this actually exist. Tony Kaye's overall direction is impressive and the black and white sequences in particular look stunning. American History X is certainly a tough film to enjoy but personally I think it's essential viewing and an incredibly bold piece of filmmaking. Expand
  6. Nov 8, 2014
    Pese la interpretación de Norton y alguna escena interesante, la película dista de ser una obra maestra en mi opinión. Se sigue sin demasiado interés y acaba en un tramo final demasiado llano. Lo mejor es su fotografía y Norton, el resto es mejorable en mi opinión.
  7. Oct 24, 2014
    Just a masterpiece! A new point of view to racism with a worldwide message.Great acting by Norton.Fabulous ending. Really an underrated movie.With a worldwide message.A must see.
  8. May 28, 2014
    Now this is a great film. Yes, it is dark, violent, and quite disturbing at times, but it is also powerful, moving, and important. Edward Norton is absolutely phenomenal. He takes this deeply troubled character who comes to realize what is truly going on his life and he knocks it out of the park. He was terrific and put the film on his shoulders and absolutely killed it. The director, TonyNow this is a great film. Yes, it is dark, violent, and quite disturbing at times, but it is also powerful, moving, and important. Edward Norton is absolutely phenomenal. He takes this deeply troubled character who comes to realize what is truly going on his life and he knocks it out of the park. He was terrific and put the film on his shoulders and absolutely killed it. The director, Tony Kaye, while he wishes to distance himself from the final product, he did a great job as well. There was some beautiful imagery here and while it may not be the version he intended as the final cut, his vision absolutely is here and the messages it provokes is still powerful. Really, after watching this film, I felt like I had been hit by a ton of bricks. The entire film is so moving and affecting that it really leaves you in a trance once it ends and the credits start rolling. On top of that, there are many powerful scenes, but none as powerful as the final one. It really leaves you on the brink of tears as you try to deal with what you just watched.

A truly mesmerizing character study with a heart and soul, American History X should absolutely be considered a "must watch" for all.
  9. May 24, 2014
    A fantastic movie. This movie is tough to get through in the sense that there were many brutal violent or rape scenes that were really disturbing, but they were really well shot. The acting by Norton was phenomenal and the best performance of his career. I didn't think I was going to like this movie as much as I did but it was great. I love the style of the movie on how it was shot withA fantastic movie. This movie is tough to get through in the sense that there were many brutal violent or rape scenes that were really disturbing, but they were really well shot. The acting by Norton was phenomenal and the best performance of his career. I didn't think I was going to like this movie as much as I did but it was great. I love the style of the movie on how it was shot with some scenes being black and white and the rest in colour a great job. Expand
  10. May 1, 2014
    Great movie that brings a lot of reflection over racism and prejudice. Give it a shot, it's totally worth it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I can't see how it got a overall score under 8.
  11. Apr 22, 2014
    White supremacist Derek Vinyard lands himself in prison having savagely murdered a black gang member caught trying to steal his truck. Whilst in prison he has time to reflect on his beliefs and realises that he must change his ways. Upon his release however he finds that his younger brother, Danny, is following a similar path and vows to stop him.

As an audience it can often be

As an audience it can often be difficult to understand why a person may hold racist viewers. Unlike the majority of movies dealing with race however American History X paints a picture of why its characters feel and act the way they do giving it far more relevance to real life as well as making for a far more interesting movie.

Fantastic performances from the cast, particularly Edward Norton in arguably his finest ever performance, also help to maintain the authentic feel of the movie. By the time it reaches its finale it is easy to have become invested in the characters in what is an engrossing look at racial tension within Los Angeles.
  12. Jan 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this movie. This has to be one of the best films created to date. Edward Norton does an excellent job playing his role as a white supremacist, when placed in prison, learns how all races truly are. It is an eye opening film, that keeps the watcher entertained the whole way through. I enjoyed how it transitioned from color to black and white, to show the difference between past and present. Highly recommended film for anyone. Expand
  13. Oct 23, 2013
    I watched this for Edward Norton and he did not disappoint me. The movie alternates between his character's past and the present. He is a haunted man who just wants to be left alone, and to set his family affairs in order. But the movie failed to inspire me. Its attempts to evoke feelings of racial equality were mediocre at best. I feel that if they had done away with all pretence andI watched this for Edward Norton and he did not disappoint me. The movie alternates between his character's past and the present. He is a haunted man who just wants to be left alone, and to set his family affairs in order. But the movie failed to inspire me. Its attempts to evoke feelings of racial equality were mediocre at best. I feel that if they had done away with all pretence and concentrated solely on the transformation of Norton's character, this could have been something special. Expand
  14. Sep 26, 2013
    I really enjoyed this film. I loved the acting and powerfull message this movie had. I think this movie kinda helped me with some stuff I was going through as well.
  15. Sep 15, 2013
    One of the most powerful films I've ever seen. Extremely dark,disturbing,sad and enlightening. Edward Norton gives one of the most underrated screen performances ever, as he plays a Neo-Nazi who tries to stop his younger brother from heading down the same awful path he chose. Very visceral movie.Highly recommended.
  16. Aug 16, 2013
    Una historia que es difícil de contar, es dura y muy emocional sobre aquella época. Da una enseñanza sobre los nuevos comienzos y de adaptarse a las características del tiempo en que uno vive. Gran actuación y guión.
  17. Aug 16, 2013
    One of the greatest movies of all time. This film is able to look true, real-life evil in the face and humanize it. There are people that actually live their lives like the neo-nazis in this film, and American History X absolutely does not sugarcoat it. It shows the true colors of some of those people in our world, yet it doesn't bash them. It shows their intentions, shows us why they doOne of the greatest movies of all time. This film is able to look true, real-life evil in the face and humanize it. There are people that actually live their lives like the neo-nazis in this film, and American History X absolutely does not sugarcoat it. It shows the true colors of some of those people in our world, yet it doesn't bash them. It shows their intentions, shows us why they do what they do, and while we don't agree at all with it, we understand. Edward Norton gives the performance of a lifetime in what is a film that everyone should watch before they die. Expand
  18. May 29, 2013
    I think that this movie MUST take 10/10, because of it's thoughts about racism and Nazism. The end is curt, but still amazing... If you haven't seen it, you should. It's changed my feelings about Nazism positively and that's wonderful. Finally don't see it half. You'll dislike it.
  19. Apr 7, 2013
    One of the greatest films I've ever seen. Edward Norton is such a fantastic actor and Edward Furlong is such a underrated actor. It's a definite must watch.
  20. Mar 16, 2013
    Edward Norton puts in a career-defining performance as Derek Vinyard, a smart yet troubled individual who is part of the Neo-Nazi movement after tragedy befalls his family.
    Told in a non-linear fashion, the story tells of Derek's rise in the ranks of the movement, and an eventual vicious crime which leads to him being locked up. he soon sees a different side to his own life and attempts to alter it, one person not on board with his leaf turning is his fellow cult member brother, Daniel (Edward Furlong).
    We see the typical everyday lives of the two brothers, who have to deal with a very sick mother and an over-bearing leader in their Neo-Nazi movement, and as the film goes on, we see beautifully rendered black and white flashbacks of Derek in prison, and he doesn't exactly have an easy time of it. He soon strikes up an unlikely friendship with a black inmate (Guy Torry), Derek, initially quite reluctant, starts to come out of his shell a little and begins to re-examine his hatred for different ethnicity.
    American History X tells a strikingly painful yet optimistic tale, putting across a message of not to judge a book by its cover, but also to examine said cover in great detail, Norton's character is adorned in hate tattoos yet he is an extremely smart and well-educated individual, and the film also shows the boundaries that are pushed to send a message.
    Edward Furlong is worlds away from his heroic turn in Terminator, swapping that for a person we don't quite understand, he clearly has hatred for those outside of his white supremacy, yet we know this is largely due to the influence of his older brother, thus maintaining strong family ties. The heavy race theme of the film will of course spread controversial themes, but its all about looking at the bigger picture, the value of family and the measures of belief.
    Norton of course puts in an Oscar worthy performance, and although he didn't win, this was a clear stepping stone to bigger things, Fight Club being one of them.
    There is a lot to take in tin this tale of trial and retribution, when a man who seeks revenge decides that this is not perhaps the best way to approach such a delicate matter, but a brother who simply wants the approval of his elder.
    Powerful and engrossing, American History X will not be to everyones liking, but it will certainly send a clear and simple message of love and hate combined in a wonderfully crafted piece of cinema.
  21. Jan 14, 2013
    This movie is a rough gritty film that deals with modern day Nazi's and how it affects people. It is a very real movie that shows truth and is powerful. It is no the best ever but a very good movie.
  22. Dec 3, 2012
    If I had to describe this movie with a word limit this is what I would say:"A must watch classic".Unexpected turn of events more than once & Edward Norton makes it even better as he shows his true talent from the beginning.Mixed feelings and a variety of thoughts are brought up by the performances.Definitely 9/10.
  23. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    Recorded this one a while ago while it was on as it's always been one of those films I've wanted to watch, purely based on its controversy, but somehow never got around to.
    What's it all about? Norton beefed up for the role A story of two LA neo-nazi brothers, American History X stars Edward Norton and Edward Furlong as Derek and Danny Vinyard. Angry with
    Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?

Norton beefed up for the role A story of two LA neo-nazi brothers, American History X stars Edward Norton and Edward Furlong as Derek and Danny Vinyard. Angry with perceived injustices against the white population of Venice Beach and the nation as a whole on top of the murder of their father by a black drug dealer, the pair embrace the teachings of a local supremeist. The film alternates between the present day and flashbacks chronicling the relationship of the pair as the older brother, Derek (Norton), gets drawn into trouble with the gang and later tries to prevent his younger brother from making the same mistakes as him.

Should you watch it?
    Violent, powerful and controversial, American History X is a hard-hitting drama dealing with a difficult but realistic subject and at times can be hard to watch. Obviously bearing in mind the subject matter, the script is unpleasant at times but the decision to give both characters a high degree of intelligence was a smart one as it at least allows them to put forward their argument in a reasonably articulate manner.
    Edward Norton is absolutely excellent as the older brother before and after his run in with the law and totally deserved his Oscar nomination. Furlong also deserves credit for his performance and it's disappointing that he didn't go on to better things from this. The black and white older footage, when Norton is at his angriest, adds to the powerful nature of the film and was a masterstroke. Norton's angry, shaven-headed, white and Nazi-tattoo clad torso in black and white is, from a cinematic perspective, a pretty powerful and controversial image.
  24. Oct 20, 2012
    I had very high expectations going into American History X, but I found the whole to be less then the sum of it's parts. The film is full of situations but it never turns into a whole. This is not to say that it's parts are not extremely well made and powerful.
  25. Sep 4, 2012
    Amazing movie. Someone please tell me that the critics are playing one big joke on the audience by not universally acclaiming this movie. But then again, who cares what they think, anyone who watched this knows it's a classic.
  26. Aug 27, 2012
    Very rough and intense but fantastically acted and written! Music is also awesome and so is the whole movie. Absolutely great with a tragical story but so is life. A masterpiece!
  27. Feb 14, 2012
    I think one of the most powerful movies i've ever seen. There isn't one dull moment and it draws you in from the first minute. It's insane how buff Edword Norton got for this.
  28. Nov 26, 2011
    Its an amazing film. Solid acting by the cast and Edward Norton is amazing in it. The only downside of the film is that its rather graphic and can be off putting a bit.
  29. Oct 3, 2011
    I was introduced to this film in a philosophy class. Undoubtedly one of the best films I've seen in moral issues. I recommend this movie to anyone who has not already seen, in fact, I recommend this movie to human and personal instruction. The film is already being shown in schools, which I think is a fantastic instructional level, but even an adult who still have not seen it haveI was introduced to this film in a philosophy class. Undoubtedly one of the best films I've seen in moral issues. I recommend this movie to anyone who has not already seen, in fact, I recommend this movie to human and personal instruction. The film is already being shown in schools, which I think is a fantastic instructional level, but even an adult who still have not seen it have something to learn. In my class there were some tough guys, and even after seeing the film they reflected on the evil they had done until that day. Expand
  30. Oct 3, 2011
    62??? really???? This is one of the greatest movies ever made. Edward Norton hit a home run on this film, his acting was amazing. The story was great also. I am still trying to figure out who the heck these 'experts' are.
  31. Aug 25, 2011
    What we have here is a message picture determined to undo itself, with simple ideas (see: I think racism is a tad more complicated than Norton and his black friend) needlessly histrionic dialogue (see: interactions with family), and manipulating moments of over-drama with the force of a chainsaw rising out of a volcano (see: every scene in which racial atrocities are committed, which areWhat we have here is a message picture determined to undo itself, with simple ideas (see: I think racism is a tad more complicated than Norton and his black friend) needlessly histrionic dialogue (see: interactions with family), and manipulating moments of over-drama with the force of a chainsaw rising out of a volcano (see: every scene in which racial atrocities are committed, which are all in black and white, slow-motion and have a choir singing the music of hell in the foreground). Expand
  32. Aug 22, 2011
    A good movie that had been better if not the forced, yet sometimes confusing message. Maybe if I watched it back in 1998 , I would appreciate it more, but its position in any kind of film rankings is misleading. The only thing I couldn`t forget was Edward Norton`s exceptional performance, and not only because others played roughly average roles. The story tries hard to establish theA good movie that had been better if not the forced, yet sometimes confusing message. Maybe if I watched it back in 1998 , I would appreciate it more, but its position in any kind of film rankings is misleading. The only thing I couldn`t forget was Edward Norton`s exceptional performance, and not only because others played roughly average roles. The story tries hard to establish the characters and the origin of racism but succeeds only in part. The viewer doesn`t get a full explanation, only bits of information that want him to think clearly : this is good, this is bad. We see a bunch of people changing their ways but we do not get the reasoning behind it. The main conclusion is not very clear and doesn`t find a strong material to it in the movie. The result is : you get the message this movie wants you to get, but mostly because it is literally given to you at the very end of it. You do not really understand why this particular message, because the story suggests something different. An excellent idea executed poorly with a bit of a genius play. Expand
  33. Aug 12, 2011
    A truly powerful film, with a message that will stay with you long after the screen goes off, American History X is a force to be reckoned with. Edward Norton's performance stands out. It is a very believable and gripping performance. I love any movie that touches on 'touchy' subjects. In this case, it's racism. The thing with this topics in films is that they are very easy to messA truly powerful film, with a message that will stay with you long after the screen goes off, American History X is a force to be reckoned with. Edward Norton's performance stands out. It is a very believable and gripping performance. I love any movie that touches on 'touchy' subjects. In this case, it's racism. The thing with this topics in films is that they are very easy to mess up, or become cliche. Luckily, this movie wonderfully, and shockingly tells the story of a man that escapes the life of a Skinhead, and further tries to prevent his younger brother from falling down the same path. A classic film, and a must-see for any movie-buff. 9/10 Expand
  34. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the most powerful films anyone should and must watch. Edward Norton excels all boundaries of acting In American History X. For a moment it just feels too real and you forget he's acting. He lands a remarkable, touching, and true character, struggling to fight for the errors committed in the past.
  35. Jan 11, 2011
    I've lost track of how many times I've seen this, but it still makes me tear up in the end, Norton really proves himself to be a powerhouse actor, his passion and raw emotion could scare anyone. One of better movies of 98
  36. Jan 7, 2011
    It's not an impressing movie. It is nothing great or big in it. It is not any light or teaching as the movie is expecting to give. The Norton is a good actor. The american life style and habit is not something to great to see. And this movie is pretty much about it.
  37. Nov 23, 2010
    One of the greatest movies I've ever seen, with an amazing, captivating performance by Edward Norton. This film sheds light on issues that many people in society are afraid to discuss or take seriously. A beautifully composed film, a must see.
  38. Oct 31, 2010
    A shocking portrayal of the effects of hate and racism, this film is an absolute must-see. Not only is it a monolith of its genre, the message it conveys should be heard by all. Edward Norton never ceases to amaze when it come to sheer talent.
  39. caporegime
    Jun 10, 2009
    A film well done. A must seen!
  40. adaml
    May 30, 2009
    Unbelievable film. great acting performance by ed norton and genius directing by tony kaye, although he didn't feel he was able to make it exactly how he wanted it in the final editing. The movie gives a great message, and shows how some perfectly valid right wing ideas can go completely misconstrued.
  41. DavidB.
    Oct 14, 2008
    Some of the best acting I have ever seen.
  42. C.K.
    Jul 10, 2008
    One of the greatest movies ever made. Norton's performance was inspiring.
  43. KattyG.
    May 9, 2008
    The most powerful movie I have ever seen. Its truly is a wonderful film. And the outstanding acting by Edward Norton! Loved it!
  44. TJ
    Apr 25, 2008
    One of the most brilliant films of a generation.
  45. MikeC.
    Mar 31, 2008
    Stunningly moving flim with an immense performance from edward norton, a crushing, moving ending after a movie ridden with thought provoking and captivating story lines and scenes.
  46. JoshM.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Powerful stuff.....great performance by the lead character. Should have won Oscar.
  47. TylerG.
    May 24, 2007
    I came in not knowing what to expect, but I left knowing that I just watched one of the best movies ever, bound to be a classic this movie is a MUST SEE, Edward Norton's performance is so strong and believable it's hard to not call him one of todays best actors, bottom line, easy 10.
  48. MattC.
    May 6, 2007
    The basketball scene was horrible. Were we expected to stand up and cheer "Go white racists, go!"? I think this movie really failed to address what lies beneath these subgroups. Not every one of those hundreds of kids had a fireman-dad-get-shot-by-crackguy story - how did they get caught up in this B.S.? The movie doesn't say. There are a lot of strong performances but a lot of stuff The basketball scene was horrible. Were we expected to stand up and cheer "Go white racists, go!"? I think this movie really failed to address what lies beneath these subgroups. Not every one of those hundreds of kids had a fireman-dad-get-shot-by-crackguy story - how did they get caught up in this B.S.? The movie doesn't say. There are a lot of strong performances but a lot of stuff that just doesn't add up. Expand
  49. BlakeJ.
    Mar 11, 2007
    The most powerful movie I have ever seen. Bar none. Norton solidifies himself as a movie god.
  50. RodG.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Way too good of a movie for the critics to come up with a 62 rating. Well acted. I think it gave a realistic insight to why some people believe what they believe. I don't think anybody would argue that racism is ugly and terrible. I compare this movie to "Crash" as far as attempting to show small unseen factors that effect people.
  51. ScottM
    Oct 12, 2006
    Single greatest movie of all time, in my eyes.
  52. zk
    Aug 31, 2006
    Superb film, very thought-provoking, Norton should have won an oscar.
  53. FelixQ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    I could say a lot more about this movei than I'm going to, simply because my fingers are all typed out;) I'm shocked at the low rating this film got- It's one of my favorites. Norton is a master, and Furlong just clinches it for me. Well written, well acted and well directed- this one speaks to all my longings as an avid movie-buff and cinema freak.
  54. J
    May 15, 2006
    i thought this movie was very good,then ending of the movie had my heart racing it's an amazing movie with a good message and this movie just shows what happens to people all around the world every day that this stuff is really real and we should try to do more to become a better society and world.
  55. NunoC.
    May 14, 2006
    Superb.
  56. reecer.
    Apr 28, 2006
    Great movie mate.
  57. KaylaL.
    Apr 26, 2006
    This is one of the best movies around. It actually shows the real relationship between different races; it shows not only that white people are racist but other races are too. This movie is very informational, and expresses a good, true moral!
  58. Mr.Hankey
    Apr 23, 2006
    I enjoyed American History X because it dealt with racism well, maybe not as well as To Kill A Mockingbird but it does a fine job anyways. I saw American History X after watching many classics the previous week before. It stood out to me for some reason I feel that it was misunderstood by some critics. It is an underrated film. But as I watched it for the first time I realized that this I enjoyed American History X because it dealt with racism well, maybe not as well as To Kill A Mockingbird but it does a fine job anyways. I saw American History X after watching many classics the previous week before. It stood out to me for some reason I feel that it was misunderstood by some critics. It is an underrated film. But as I watched it for the first time I realized that this film was a monument in movies. [***SPOILERS***] As the final seen rolled and you see Edward Norton crying over Edward Furlong, I thought it was the best movie I had ever seen. But as I moved on in the history of movies my knowledge grew and I realized that this film was superb but good never be the best film I have ever seen because i was young and had no knowledge of Kurosawa yet. As I watched it for the second time I felt it was old and not as gripping as the first time around. So was a great film? Yes, But is it a movie that should be considered the best ever? I do not think so. Expand
  59. LouisH.
    Jan 15, 2006
    one of the best movies ever. has great storytelling, and a powerful ending.
  60. KerrieC.
    Jan 10, 2006
    This movie shows everyhitng that people need to know about skinheads...Sttuff you think is not out there.
  61. JamesM
    Dec 20, 2005
    A mess of a film that attempts some kind of message but fails dismally. Just like "The Green Mile" and "Once Were Warriors" before it, the film tries so hard to get a reaction from the audience that it ends up feeling forced and exhausting.
  62. matta.
    Oct 20, 2005
    Movie was great but the tragec ending took away alittle.
  63. MelissaT.
    Oct 3, 2005
    This movie pisses you off, makes you cry, and think about "What you have done to make your life better."
  64. MattS.
    Sep 17, 2005
    Superb directing and acting. Tony Kaye takes us on a dramatic journey that leaves us on the edge of our seat.
  65. MattW
    Aug 17, 2005
    A great movie. I am from the New York City area, and this is just reality, I loved it. Great acting by Edward Norton as well.
  66. KatieF.
    Aug 4, 2005
    I just recently saw this film after hearing all the raves about it from freinds at school....it was awesome...i love it...i bought it before i saw it and it was a risk to do so...but now i am glad i did....if you haven't seen it you need to...good to watch and a lesson to be learned!!!
  67. MovieCritic
    Jun 21, 2005
    Very good film excellent acting, top marks.
  68. Kent
    Jun 13, 2005
    This movie should be seen by everyone of all ages to understand how society works.
  69. dougelasm.
    May 6, 2005
    I like it loud and good.
  70. KaryP.
    Apr 25, 2005
    Awesome display of the skinhead activity...harsh, but good reality.
  71. NielsG.
    Apr 18, 2005
    Great movie like it.
  72. brade.
    Apr 14, 2005
    This movie is the best movie ever put out i watched it 64 times now.
  73. GuillermoZ.
    Mar 8, 2005
    Great racial movie teaches you about society and life how portrays society.
  74. LukeK.
    Feb 4, 2005
    Edwar Nortons shocking and underated preformance is one of the best of the nineties.
  75. CoryF.
    Jan 28, 2005
    This has to be the best movie I have ever seen. I've never been so emotional over a movie before.
  76. B.J.S.
    Aug 12, 2004
    This film was well done and had great acting in it. The main purpose of this film, as any one could tell, was to show some of societies problems and make a point about them. The movie had good thought provoking dialogue in it that was very intiguing to listen to. the use of black and white film contrasted against the color film was ok but all it did was show what scene was a story being This film was well done and had great acting in it. The main purpose of this film, as any one could tell, was to show some of societies problems and make a point about them. The movie had good thought provoking dialogue in it that was very intiguing to listen to. the use of black and white film contrasted against the color film was ok but all it did was show what scene was a story being told or waht was happening in the present. There was not any new editing or filming style that the used and it really seemed like it could have been anyone that made it. The movie was very good and tantilizing but the director did not do anything that really left an impression as far as the filming was concerned. Expand
  77. EvanN.
    Apr 26, 2004
    Brilliant. Edward Norton's role is one for the ages. A shame he was shafted at the Oscars.
  78. Jrbraveagain02
    Dec 8, 2003
    Very good. and informative.
  79. FernandoG.
    Nov 23, 2003
    A 10 says it all.
  80. TheGilbertMulroneycakesShowWithTonyRandall
    Oct 25, 2003
    It's almost brilliant. Almost. Certainly it's a stunning evocationcondemnation of this right-wing everyone-hating mindset. And the acting is superb: Ed Norton, Stacy Keach, John Connor, Avery Brooks and so on are all incredibly impressive. Oh, and the direction is pretty damn good, as you would sort-of expect from Kaye having seen his previous work - any British people It's almost brilliant. Almost. Certainly it's a stunning evocationcondemnation of this right-wing everyone-hating mindset. And the acting is superb: Ed Norton, Stacy Keach, John Connor, Avery Brooks and so on are all incredibly impressive. Oh, and the direction is pretty damn good, as you would sort-of expect from Kaye having seen his previous work - any British people who've seen any of advert-nostalgia programmes: the chap who did the Intercity "Relax" adverts in '89, and the Dunlop S&M "Tested For The Unexpected" one in '95, the bald-headed tit with about ten billion facial piercings: that was Tony Kaye, that was. So why is it only "almost" brilliant? Well, it doesn't quite hold up as a piece of drama is the thing. A few too many convieniences. The plot is second to the social commentary, but it could have gone hand in hand. Still, though, if it's not brilliant, it is at least pretty damn great. Can't say fairer than that. Expand
  81. Jeremy
    Oct 16, 2003
    Hopefully one day Tony Kaye will realize that he's made one of the most powerful films ever made dealing with racism, and one of the few that has the courage to follow through with it's points.
  82. RichB.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Personally, i cant decide whether capitalism and the thinking of norton is a bad thing. It worked for hitler and sadam but look where it got them. There isnt any proper racism, just random violence against people apparently ruining society.
  83. YoonC.
    Sep 13, 2003
    Moving between iconography and iconoclasm, this cautionary and frightening tale of Neo-Nazi skinheads also functions as a critique of failure of American society as a whole. The film shows us a world where people are antogonized into hostile groups, where hopes of friendship and rapproachment can only be effected on individual level; where even that hard earned peace is always under threatMoving between iconography and iconoclasm, this cautionary and frightening tale of Neo-Nazi skinheads also functions as a critique of failure of American society as a whole. The film shows us a world where people are antogonized into hostile groups, where hopes of friendship and rapproachment can only be effected on individual level; where even that hard earned peace is always under threat by tribalism and endless crossfire of violence. Edward Norton's performance is remarkable for going beyond the stereotype, for drawing out the agonized and embittered individual beneath the mask of ideology. Great performances throughout. Directing is magnficent and brilliantly ironic in use of images that at are once powerful/liberating and diabolical/imprisoning. Expand
  84. DaveC.
    Sep 8, 2003
    One dumbass film saved by it's brilliant ending.
  85. BobM.
    Aug 22, 2003
    You know what i like about this movie is how much sense it makes. How honest it is. No apologies in the whole thing. Just honesty. the characters are believable and true to life. The ed's work together masterfully. Think they could have done better on the school principal though. I do own this movie and recommend you run out and buy it too.
  86. TomS.
    Jun 25, 2003
    A flawed but engrossing film.
  87. AllanS.
    May 14, 2003
    A must view for troubled teens.
  88. PeterT.
    May 5, 2003
    Powerful.
  89. CoreyR.
    Apr 4, 2003
    10+, stupid professional critics.
  90. JadH.
    Mar 5, 2003
    This movie is very powerful and shows what really goes on in some places of this cruel world we live in that is full of hate and disgrace. Norton is an amazing actor, as always, in this film and makes you believe and feel sympathy for his racist, but found and reassured character.
  91. PeterV.
    Feb 21, 2003
    Its a good movie, and tells of the real stories of racism. and how people deal with it in real life.
  92. DianaTrinhH.
    Oct 30, 2002
    I have seen this Movie and I live it, I have writte a essay about this Movie, for my English Lesson!
  93. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    Incredible. Like all great films with violent natures, the silent segments are just as chilling as the violence. It's also just as chilling to find yourself almost cheering for Norton during the basketball scene.
  94. BillyW.
    Aug 20, 2002
    Awesome movie, brutally true portal of what racism can do to a person and how it affects those around. Edward norton is the man, he makes great movies and this being one of his earlier movies is a MUST SEE!! I bought the movie before seeing it and am glad I did, watched it twice in a row and will watch it again and again. GREAT MOVIE!! This movie does have some pretty brutal attacks, but Awesome movie, brutally true portal of what racism can do to a person and how it affects those around. Edward norton is the man, he makes great movies and this being one of his earlier movies is a MUST SEE!! I bought the movie before seeing it and am glad I did, watched it twice in a row and will watch it again and again. GREAT MOVIE!! This movie does have some pretty brutal attacks, but then thats life. Expand
  95. Vash
    Jul 14, 2002
    A great film, the only movie I've cried during in...forever i think. The acting is amazing in it, very very emotional stuff. It is a pretty harsh film though, it doesn't sugar coat things, but that makes it that much more effective. If you find yourself feeling disgusted by it during the first hour stick with it the overall message is very informative and educational to all of A great film, the only movie I've cried during in...forever i think. The acting is amazing in it, very very emotional stuff. It is a pretty harsh film though, it doesn't sugar coat things, but that makes it that much more effective. If you find yourself feeling disgusted by it during the first hour stick with it the overall message is very informative and educational to all of us in the end. One of my favorite films. Expand
  96. JoseS.
    Apr 22, 2002
    Edward Norton is so fine.
  97. RickyVanN.
    Dec 17, 2001
    The movie was almost perfect. The acting was some of the best I've ever seen, and made the point so clear you could see it even if you are deaf, blind, and dumb. The only real problem was the transformation scene. It didn't detail enough of his change in character.
    Dec 12, 2001
    It?s an excellent movie about racial problem and reality which makes you think about the society we live in. The racism subject is well developed. It really makes you think twice before discriminating against others for reasons such as race and religion? I think all of us need to see this movie for the reflexion at the end. The acting is absolutely amazing.
  99. JeffB.
    Nov 26, 2001
    Damn good movie.

1. The movie can't explain as much as it wants to about what makes (and unmakes) a skinhead, but it carries us a fair distance.
  2. For all its surface verisimilitude and for all its focus on a problem that couldn't be more current, this film can't manage to feel more than sporadically real.
    Feels as true as a documentary, as painful as a blow to the heart.