7.5

1. Jan 29, 2014
    Buyer beware. This is more of a rom com than a hustle flick.

Not what it says on the tin, and for that I feel utterly scammed. If Romance isn't your thing, don't touch this with a 6 foot pole.

A few points for the 70s costumes, Christian's Bale unrecognizable character, and the thrashy wife, superbly played by Jennifer Lawrence.
  2. Dec 29, 2013
    “Some of this actually happened.”

From this first inter-title, David O. Russell’s new crime comedy-drama American Hustle(2013) promised two and a half hours of the twisted, the practically anarchic, but most especially, the absolutely absurd and in the best way possible. Despite its late arrival to the Oscar scene (along with Scorsese’s Wolf of Wall Street) and its being overshadowed
    by Steve McQueen’s long-awaited 12 Years a Slave, American Hustleproves worthy of every nomination and accolade to date and lives up to its enormous hype. It is one of the best films to hit cinemas in years

If the subject matter doesn’t scream Scorsese’s Goodfellas (1990) (or even Mean Streets (1973), if you squint), the style most definitely does. American Hustle’s narrative trajectory is almost reminiscent of Casino (1995) in its first person narrative, given from the perspectives of both Bale’s Irving Rosenfeld and Adams’ Sydney Prosser. Yet, it’s no Scorsese in regards to cinematography and definitely no Guillermo del Toro. From a first viewing, the camera placement and movement remains incredibly simplistic and unremarkable. The cinematography, therefore, simply acts as an enabler for the film’s greatest aspects namely the performances by the A-list cast, and its fantastic script and plot.

The screenplay is simply sensational, creating a remarkable dynamic between both comedy and drama that is so rarely accomplished with films of this nature. Dramatic moments including a screaming match between Irving and and his unstable wife, Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence) are immediately followed by hilarious quips and creative dialogue that left me gasping for air. Everything about the script is interconnected fluidly and cleverly and moments expressed in the film’s infancy reappear later on with greater prominence and importance, all working together to create a story that comes full circle and completely encapsulates its overall themes of reinvention and survival. The story is fantastic, the writing superb and the plot completely driven by its characters.

Christian Bale, renowned for his dedication when it comes to a character’s physicality, immediately astounds with a comb-over and beer belly in his interpretation of lead, Irving Rosenfeld. However, it’s his rendition of Irving that truly startles. Bale cleverly crafts a man who, despite his conning nature, is honourable at heart and is uncomfortable with potentially destroying a good man with good intentions (Jeremy Renner’s Carmine Polito). Bale could have gone over the top with Irving he is, after all, a conman from the Bronx but, instead, he opted for a more realistic, grounded character. It was a fantastic choice, and one that definitely adds to the story’s growing tension and drama. This may perhaps be one of Bale’s best films.

Opposite Bale is Amy Adams, in arguably one of her best showings to date, as well. Her performance as cleverly deceptive Sydney Prosser (or Lady Edith Greensly, if you’re on the wrong side of the desk) is punctuated by moments of severe sincerity and emotional turmoil. Adams’ prowess as an actress is in top form, and she proves absolutely deserving of her nomination for Best Leading Actress at this year’s Golden Globe awards.

In almost a throwback to another Russell film, Silver Linings Playbook, Bradley Cooper plays uncontrollable FBI agent Richie DiMaso (slightly familiar to Paul Solitano in regards to his wild desperation), who is determined to prove himself as a worthy player to not only his department, but his mother and especially himself. Though not Cooper’s best performance to date, American Hustle definitely shows off his stuff and solidifies his position as a powerful, talented actor in Hollywood.

Jennifer Lawrence once again proves herself to be one of the most daring and talented young actresses in the business as Rosalyn Rosenfeld, Irving’s unstable and uncontrollable wife. In a world of reinvention and masks, Rosenfeld is the only character who tries not to change (“I hate change. I think I’d die before I ever changed”) and it shows through her erratic and sometimes violent behavior perfectly executed by Lawrence. Simply put, after watching American Hustle, I threw my hands up in the air and exclaimed to a startled audience of moviegoers, “Just give her the Oscar now!”

If the acting and pristine characterisation isn’t any indication of what an incredible film American Hustle is, just take a look at the Golden Globe nods its received (7 in total). And American Hustle proves incredibly deserving of every scrap of recognition that it’s been getting.

If you haven’t heard about or seen American Hustle, please get yourself out from underneath whatever rock you’ve been under for the last six or seven months and stomp on over to your local cinema immediately. Also, tune into the Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 12, 2014, where it’s sure to give 12 Years a Slave a run for its money!
  3. Jan 6, 2014
    Wait this isn't a game

...................................................................................................................................................
  4. May 8, 2014
    There wasn't much of a storyline, and that's the film's fatal flaw, but "American Hustle" was an undeniable extravaganza of a film. Director David O. Russell deserves credit for his exuberant, striking evocation of the glitz and glamour '70s. The acting was superb all round: I particularly enjoyed Bradley Cooper, who made for an excellent sleazebag FBI agent. It may have been a massive exercise in style over substance, but it was an entertaining one. Expand
  5. Dec 30, 2013
    Excellent movie. Unusual to see actual character development in films out of Hollywood these days, but this one accomplishes that in spades. Bale and Adams are excellent, and Lawrence (while I wanted a more fitting end to her character) does much with her screen time. I had few expectations going in, but I have to consider this Russell's best film to date.
  6. Feb 22, 2014
    Not perfect, but very worthy. Excellent performances. Amy Adams was pretty darn hot. A very enjoyable, entertaining movie. Yes, there were a few moments where you expended a tad too much energy suspending disbelief, but it is taken in stride and actually adds to the experience. Did I say that Amy Adams was really darn hot?
  7. Dec 31, 2013
    Like Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle blends comedy and drama perfectly, and has amazing performances. Boy, does David O. Russell know how to direct actors, his movies are always the best with that. The story in American Hustle is also great, and very unpredictable, as are the characters. Its moments of comedy seem to come in at almost too perfect of times, and it doesn't feel like a comic relief, but it just feels natural. Great film, great acting.

American Hustle gets 9.1/10
  8. Jan 1, 2014
    Enjoyable fun movie with great cast of characters. Very much enjoyed the 70's flashback and creative filming that kept us entertained all the way to the end!
  9. Feb 21, 2014
    2 words: JENNIFER LAWRENCE. Honestly, when it comes to a David O. Russell universal acclaimed movie, I couldn't think of anyone besides Jennifer Lawrence. For me, she was definitely the scene stealer in that movie. However, she's not the only one who did an exceptional acting. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper really committed to their roles as Irving Rosenfeld and Richie DiMaso, respectively, and delivered an award-worthy performance. I don't know why Amy Adams received such good praises for her role as Sydney Prosser, because, in my opinion, she only gave 75% of her acting ability. Such a shame though. Expand
  10. Jan 2, 2014
    "American Hustle" fires on all cylinders. A great script, believable performances from an excellent ensemble cast, a fun soundtrack and those wild hairstyles from the late 70s all work well together. All the players do a fine job, but Bale's turn as a sympathetic con artist was the standout. I wasn't familiar with the ABSCAM operation so I was entertained and educated at the same time.
  11. Jan 3, 2014
    A brillant classic American film with intense, terrific ensemble acting not seen since "Pulp Fiction". Oscar acting noms for everybody especially Christian Bale, Amy Adams, JLaw, and Jeremy Renner.
  12. Jan 5, 2014
    I found the movie to be well directed and the actors portrayed their roles excellently Jennifer Lawrence and Christian Bale particularly stood out, and would argue that J Laws role could be in the running for Best Supporting Actress in upcoming awards. The movie was filled with many plot twists, cliff-hangers, humorous moments and suspense. I would definitely recommend this film to anyone interested in the 1950's-80's Mafia genre, and anyone in between. Overall, I give the film 9 out of 10. Expand
  13. Jan 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was fine. The characters weren't likable enough for me to care too deeply about their plight. I found the story a bit cumbersome, and the big con at the end would have been more interesting had we seen it being put together. Some great acting. Way over-hyped. Expand
  14. Jan 12, 2014
    The movie is all over the place, and drags on towards the end. Besides a few good laughs and a great performance from Christian Bale, not much else to get excited about.
  15. Jan 12, 2014
    Goodfellas meets Boogie Nights. Ok, so American Hustle was a bit bloated and sometimes contrived or overly cute in a Cameron Crowe way, but it was reminscent of the gritty mood of Goodfellas, and at times the Grifters, Closer, and at most farcical, Noises Off, but mostly it brought back the excitement of the first viewing of Boogie Nights, in that it, too, was a nostalgic, sexy, music-driven, layered epic with a stellar, well-costumed ensemble. Expand
  16. Feb 3, 2014
    This movie is great, the acting is great, the writing is great, it is near perfect, but why isn't perfect, well the story is kind of just there, and the movie is just a slide show for the cast, and director David O'Russell's talents, but it is a really good one.
  17. Jan 15, 2014
    Bradly Cooper has to be one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood; Few flaws in this movie. The role of the "good" politicians just trying to "help" their communities was foolishly unrealistic
  18. Jan 17, 2014
    Mind simply blown !!!
    American Hustle
    What a brilliant film I have just seen ....
    Everything is just ... just awesome... This is actor's movie and you will be amazed by every performances. Jennifer Lawrence and Christian Bale steal the show.... Best thing about Christian Bale is... when he is preparing for new role.. he inspires you... and his characters simply mark your brain... for
    many days... till his next performance... and this time we have Bradley Cooper to fight with him... the fight is so thrilling... fearless Amy Adams, classic Jeremy Runner and Robert Di Nero in guest appearance .... you cant demand for more... And captain of the ship is Great Director David O Russel !!!
    It is soft love story having thriller, comedy, emotions, twists in it !!!

This film is going to rock at the Oscars.. surely !!! Am so confused now... am going to stick with Gravity or changing my party now... but I m loving this confusion....
    Don't think again... leave your place and rush to the nearest theaters... You stop that torrent right now as you should watch such art in the theaters to experience the EXPERIENCE...
  19. Sep 17, 2014
    David O. Russell has really grown on me as a director. I have only seen four of his films now--Three Kings, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook and now this--but they have been four of the most intriguing American films of the past fifteen years. If he is patient, keeps up his writing and directing prowess and continues to develop the fine talent pool that obviously enjoys working for him, it's only a matter of time before he's making acceptance speeches in the Kodak Theatre some Sunday evening in February in the not-too-distant future. Expand
  20. Jan 18, 2014
    The all-star ensemble cast delivers but the gloss can't cover the weak script. Lawrence and Renner are superb in supporting roles as is male lead Christian Bale. The music, the costume and set design are, like the cast, all first rate.

Is this the best picture of the year? No. Top 10? Perhaps, but ultimately I left with expectations unfulfilled.
  21. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disappointing film. The depiction of the dawn of the Eighties seemed contrived and inauthentic. De Niro and JLaw are the only performances that feel like they belong in the story. Christian Bale portrays an ultimately sympathetic character with a measure of understatement. The always engaging Jeremy Renner stretches to play a good family man perhaps too eager to help his NJ constituents, but is sabotaged by an Elvis wig the size of Graceland. Indeed, it seemed like the toupées and up-dos should be nominated instead of the actors wearing them. Bradley Cooper goes over the top to the point where your not sure if he's sure what film he's in anymore. I agree with other reviewers: I don't feel that the FBI chain of command would just let Bradley Cooper's character have the run of the house so to speak. In fact, it has been suggested that Abscam was the FBI's response to the some of the Washington inquisitions of the Seventies, like the Church Committee.

A poor man's re-interpretation of Goodfellas, which is perhaps the definitive depiction of dangerous loyalties and survival in the emerging age of greed as a lifestyle. I guess I felt conned, but maybe that was the goal. Russell has directed two of my favorite films (Three Kings, The Fighter) but recently seems to be enthralled with Oscar award bait after making this piece and the slim Silver Linings Playbook.
  22. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amy Adams is reliably excellent, and David O. Russell's direction certainly has flair. However, the rest of the performances are a mixed bag- Jennifer Lawrence and Christian Bale are entertaining if a bit over-the-top; Bradley Cooper shows no range or depth; and Jeremy Renner, as the only morally upright character, is completely flat. The film is sporadically amusing but is completely lacking in intrigue or tension, and everything wraps up far too neatly at the end. "American Hustle" is this year's "Argo" - a Best Picture favorite that's long on style but short on substance and emotional weight. Without Adams, this movie would completely lack a soul. Expand
  23. Jan 19, 2014
    This was a good movie with a good concept and a cast of amazing actors. Perhaps that set the bar too high in my mind, but I just expected more. For the most part it kept my attention, but the only character I ever found myself really caring about was the mayor, and two days later I can't even remember his name. If you need something to pass the time, or you manage to catch this on television later on, definitely give it a watch. There are a lot of great moments and you'll probably walk away thinking about the actors, but these moment just don't come together in a way that will leave you caring about the actual film. Expand
  24. Jan 23, 2014
    Yawning confusion of uninterested boredom performed to think otherwise, typical O. Russel's synthetic effect spelling non-specific genre themes and styles. O. Russel's a mixer always lookin in the cupboards for new spices, sweeteners, and sauces. Takes time time to surrender and accept in his films, once he does has your taste buds excited, licking for more. It's raw though. Like a batch of cookies yet to heavenly cook in the oven. You just wanna garble the bowl down. But he only gives you small doses on a spoon. Then there's the writing. I say the best ones have the best lines, and the best memories and connection with personable life. Rich like JLaw's, "I'm not good with change. Sometimes I think I'll die before I change." Or Bale's monologue, "An artist's story is a story that never ends." Added with tablespoons of funny lines that I will not spoil. It nudges Wolf by a teaspoon 'cause of it's depth in academy award worthy performances. JLaw perfumes free will in this. Those with defined palettes are in for a treat. Expand
  25. Jan 29, 2014
    This was one of those films where the parts were greater than the sum of the parts. Mathematics may not be my strong suit, so let me explain. There were some excellent performances, Jennifer Lawrence in particular I thought really warmed up as the film went on, but in the end it didn’t work for me. The weakness lay in the character of the New Jersey mayor ... not Renner's acting, just the way it was conceived. While the rest of the baddies were stereotypes, and the good guys comic, here we had someone with a bit of complexity, who became the real victim. Overall the film just seemed a bit too far-fetched, and didn't quite hit the mark. But it has 10 Oscar nominations … I must be wrong! Expand
  26. Jan 24, 2014
    Explosively Entertaining. The actors are winning! Amy Adams owns everything she puts on the film. Jennifer Lawrence is fierce- A total Blast. surely one of the Best Films of 2013, probably of the new decade.
  27. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw American Hustle after reading the positive reviews of the Media after all the nominations received for the Oscar Awards but I was very disappointed for the following reasons:
    - the movie tries unsuccessfully to move between comedy and a serious story
    - they said that it was based on a true story Arabscam (or s similar name) but most of the facts seem totally unrealistic and difficult to happen, such as advancing money to receive a loan from UK in the '70 ties or Arabs investing in US in gambling in the same historical period
    - in the movie there are many inconsistencies. For example De Niro discovers that the Arab doesn't understand the arab language and there is no consequence?
    If it is based on a true story I would like to know exactly what happened to see if the erratic behavior of many characters really took place.
    The acting is OK, except for the poor appearence of De Niro but this doesn't seem enough to me to rehabilitate the story and the movie overall
    Roberto Bellei
    Rome Italy
  28. Feb 21, 2014
    A pretty good movie that is a fun ride. The best part of the film is easily the acting by the amazing cast. After seeing it though I would have chosen a couple other movies for the best picture nomination well over this one. I also really think that if the roles were in lesser actors hands I would like the movie a lot less, the cast are a very big part of what made it enjoyable to watch for me.
  29. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. David O. Russel weighs in once more with a piece built entirely for actors, but one that almost demonizes the concept of writers. The characters actions are no longer built in a world of design or any possible association with reality there sole goal is to create situations that make no sense but allow said actors to create star moments as it were, such as Richie's assault on his superior and his weird scream when Sydney drops her accent. Thus leaving us with a piece that is as shiny and glossy as a con-man's veneer but with as little substance and result as that very same individual.
    The Poe Scale
    Acting: 2/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 2/2
    Effects and Design 1.5/2
    Writing: 0.5/2
  30. May 9, 2014
    Beautifully striking movie that David O. Russel manages to pull off but he's not the only one you should be giving credit to. The acting that Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Bale use to reinforce such strong acting and writing make this movie a thrill to watch.
  31. Feb 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most overrated films of the year. Two low-rent con artists are convinced to run a sting on New Jersey politicians by a misguided FBI man. Most of the characters are exaggerated to the point of caricature, and the most sympathetic person in the film is a politician caught in their net. It's somewhat unbelievable that anybody could be caught in their scam (i.e. the Latino posing as an Arab). The music and clothes of the 1970's are fun, and I might have found the film amusing if my expectations had not been heightened by all the critics' praise. Expand
  32. Feb 22, 2014
    David O. Russell makes a great fun loving movie with characters that drive the story lin with their acting as well as a charming and sometimes humoring script that makes you leave the theatre with a smile on your face. It is a must see.
  33. Mar 2, 2014
    from the guy who brought you silver lingings playbook which i love brings american hustle i did not that mush but it find it too much drama but i love david o rusell his ideas in movies are 99% useful and brilliant
  34. Mar 13, 2014
    Great acting but very poor story line, difficult to follow and left you feeling empty at the end. It got high critic reviews but honestly, I think the NY Post review was spot on.
  35. Jul 25, 2014
    American Hustle es, sin dudas, otro gran éxito del buen director David O. Russel, ya que el el film no solo cuenta con buenas actuaciones, buena dirección, buen montaje, buen vestuario, entre otros., si no que también ofrece una historia interesante y muy bien hecha.
  36. Mar 16, 2014
    It's overrated. Not the movie, but the judgment.

Here's why. I know the plot within the first 5 minutes. It's not because I am a movie genius, but I saw similar style in a lot of Vegas (I know it's about Atlantic city) and 70-80's inspired movies.

Acting? Well, apart from Jeremy Renner tiny part in this film, I don't think the other actors should be regarded that high. I am not
    saying they did bad acting, they are good, but just good. Why? Once again, there are benchmarks out there which you can use to measure how good Cooper, Bale, Adams, and Lawrence can possibly be.

Bale in The Flowers of War.
    Cooper and Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook.
    Adams in Doubt and Julie and Julia.

A good real-story based movie?
    How do you compare this with Goodfellas?

User score reflects fairer assessment than the big media & pro critics score, some of which gave inexplicably perfect 10. I read some of the critic reviews, I just don't see their points.

I myself found this movie predictable.
  37. Mar 20, 2014
    I was looking forward to seeing this film for a while but was left very disappointed. I struggled to get through it with boredom. The story seemed forced to me and while the level of acting was good I never got into at all. Expected more from an Oscar nominee.
  38. Ozy
    Jul 11, 2014
    A long and somewhat boring movie with snippets of "fun". Very talky talky and one very hot toilet sex scene - which is about as exciting as the movie got. Great acting by all means. If i got anything from this movie it was that bale can actually act. I didn't know that - good for him.
  39. qev
    Apr 10, 2014
    every aspect of this film is a delight, from concept to execution (via some tremendous characterizations by a truly talented cast (Bale's best perf, perchance?), thru a proper on-it plot, by way of excellent settings and bang-on, shameless costumes (and hair!), right up to the "did you guess the end beforehand? NO!" activity). spot on
  40. Jul 19, 2014
    Uno de los mejores trabajos de David O. Rusell, si no, hasta el mejor, artisticamente una maravilla para vista, y con interpretaciones magnificas por parte de todo el elenco.
  41. May 24, 2014
    Good acting but I just could not get into this movie, I felt bored for most of the first half. I didn't really know why they were doing what they were doing. Story felt pretty bland even though it was based on a true story I just couldn't get into this movie. I didn't hate this movie by any means but I don't know why it got all the praise it did. I'm glad it did not win any Oscars as it was not deserving of any. Expand
  42. Apr 28, 2014
    This film left me confused, for lack of a better word. David O. Russell again put the actor’s need at the forefront, giving them almost complete freedom with their characters, and that’s great. Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and especially Amy Adams knock the ball out of the park. Unfortunately this was detrimental to the overall plot, which seemed muddled and sloppy. I feel like in the moment this film is great, full of life and energy, but a week or so after, you don’t remember it as fondly. And the hair is too much. Expand
  43. Jun 7, 2014
    David O. Russel is back and this time its for American Hustle. With famous stars such as Bale, Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Renner this movie is deemed for greatness. With a jazzy powerful script and actors that transformed themselves into their roles this truly makes for a great movie. You are left speechless at the amazing script and plot and when the end of this movie happens you will be struck with awe at how well of an overall movie this is. I truly think this movie deserved Best Picture at The Oscars 2013... 10/10 Expand
  44. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I went to see the film because of the many good reviews. Snucked in a Dominos Pizza and felt lethargic half way through film. Got food poisoning that night.
    Review:
    Pros: General good acting, particularly Lawrence's.
    Cons: This is a rather slow and miserable film with terrible hair for all the main actors. Cooper's character was a d**k, Bale's was inept,
    Lawrence's was naive and I've never liked Adams's acting ever.
    2/5 - Don't bother.
  45. Aug 8, 2014
    David O. Russell has once again proves himself of how to direct a good film. It is the brilliant movie ever since Silver Linings Playbook with Cooper and Lawrence. With Bale and Adams, the movie brings stimulating performances and interlectuall dialogue by the actors and the filmmakers to bring this movie into real life.
  46. Jul 4, 2014
    "American Hustle" is a very talky film - I think that's why many audiences have disliked it. However, that is exactly why I liked it, because it gave all the characters more developed personalities than we usually see in the movies. The use of the 70s music was also excellent. The ending wasn't really that good; from a movie that is about a HUSTLE, I expect more HUSTLING. Still, the movie is super-solid, though. An award-show bait, but still solid. Expand
  47. Jul 25, 2014
    Unoriginal, unfunny,unengaging , uninteresting, unentertaining, self obsessed, super pretentious and absolutely boring. The oscar wining the sting meets goodfellas/casino and cast Robert DeNiro to insult the injury.

We see Christian Blair doing his hair in the opening scene and this is the point where the film loses the connection with its audience and proves that " the look" is so
    important. This is why we see the 70s hair do, fashion and music all the way through film but hey Who cares the plot?

Some of the audience might have loved the film's charm.However ,it is a 20 minute too long and empty film in the end.
  48. Sep 20, 2014
    A con artist and his con artist mistress, being blackmailed, after being caught conning, to con an unsuspecting politician in the hopes of catching the big time cons – this is the plot of American Hustle.

Richie DiMaso is the FBI agent, hungry to make a name for himself, not happy with catching two small time crooks, Sydney Prosser (Lady Edith Greensley) and Irving Rosenfeld. Instead he
    uses these con artists to help him catch more in exchange for immunity from their crimes, continually upping the stakes. Not satisfied until he has several politicians and the mob within his reach.

David O. Russell reminds me of the directors of the past that had a reliable inner circle of actors he recycled over and over in movies – clearly favoring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Both talented actors who seem miscast in their roles as neither are able to fully become their characters. You, as the viewer, can’t help shake that it is Bradley Cooper being the hungry FBI agent Richie DiMaso and Jennifer Lawrence pretending to be the unstable wife Rosalyn Rosenfeld, the latter being far worse than the former.

Amy Adams’ multilayered portrayal of the master con artist manipulator Sydney Prosser (aka Edith) steals the show in the role. Unfortunately, this is not particularly difficult given her costars’ performances. The character development is there for all roles, but just not brought to life. Better equipped, though lesser known, actors would have elevated this movie to a point where it was a runaway for the Oscars.

I was absolutely charmed by the costume design by Michael Wilkinson and believe that his innate ability in capturing the late 1970’s helps captivate the audience, drawing them into this comedic drama. I am sure true fashionistas knowledgeable in style trends will point out flaws but the polyester clad bodies, exposed chests and prevalent curlers will be awesome fun for the ignorant viewer.

All in all, it is a fun movie filled with good music and an entertaining story line as you root for unlikely con artist protagonists. Hoping they get out unscathed for their ‘happily ever after’.

More reviews of recent releases at our website!

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2013
    Like everyone else in Russell's cast, Lawrence appears to be having a blast in the role. It's downright contagious.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 21, 2013
    A work of tremendous confidence and dazzling showmanship that may just be a delirious movie-as-drug-high or may, if you choose to read it this way, contain a level of commentary about the nature of America and the illusioneering of Hollywood.
    The movie is a slot machine that never stops spitting quarters.