7.5

1. Mar 25, 2014
    Fantastic film! Enjoyed this movie throughly from start to finish! Christian Bale gives a brilliant performance that easily rivals that of his work in Out of the Furnace! He is joined by an incredible supporting cast that includes Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Rehner, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Robert De Niro! All of whom do phenomenal work! Last but definitely not least,Fantastic film! Enjoyed this movie throughly from start to finish! Christian Bale gives a brilliant performance that easily rivals that of his work in Out of the Furnace! He is joined by an incredible supporting cast that includes Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Rehner, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Robert De Niro! All of whom do phenomenal work! Last but definitely not least, the story is incredible! It has an excellent twist at the end that was completely perfect and end up being exactly how you wanted it all to end! Don't listen to the people who tell you this movie is boring, it is truly one of the best films of the year and if you don't give it a chance you will really be doing yourself a disservice! Expand
  2. Sep 29, 2014
    It is something out of the common. 'American Hustle' turns out to be my top favorite of the year-maybe of ALL time. It is great! Uncommonly hilarious and contagious. The best picture of 2013!
  3. Nov 17, 2014
    American Hustle is one of the funnest films I've seen in a long time and it's my favourite David O. Russell film to date. This film reminded me very much of Quentin Tarantino's 'Jackie Brown'. As crime drama's go neither of them are particularly groundbreaking. But as stylish and vibrant pieces of filmmaking they are both thoroughly enjoyable experiences. David O. Russell's overallAmerican Hustle is one of the funnest films I've seen in a long time and it's my favourite David O. Russell film to date. This film reminded me very much of Quentin Tarantino's 'Jackie Brown'. As crime drama's go neither of them are particularly groundbreaking. But as stylish and vibrant pieces of filmmaking they are both thoroughly enjoyable experiences. David O. Russell's overall direction is solid and visually he captures the 70's with style and elegance. The whole cast is superb but Christian Bale is the standout and he reinvents himself once more. Jennifer Lawrence hilariously steals every single scene and Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper & Jeremy Renner are all great too. And Louis C.K is a worthy mention also. The styling and soundtrack play a major part in bringing the 70's to life and there's some great tracks from the likes of ELO, Donna Summer, Elton John, The Bee Gee's & Wings. There's certainly a lot of fun to be had and revisit with American Hustle. Expand
  4. Jan 26, 2014
    Unfortunately, I was so excited to see the new movie of David O.Russel, but I did not enjoyed it at all! I did not like the story and the acting(only Amy Adams worth it and always Christian Bale). Jeniffer Lawrence was pretty good, but is that all she can act? A crazy, depressed woman? I think not. Bradly's Cooper was really extravagance, almost annoying. Anyway, i got bored really soon.Unfortunately, I was so excited to see the new movie of David O.Russel, but I did not enjoyed it at all! I did not like the story and the acting(only Amy Adams worth it and always Christian Bale). Jeniffer Lawrence was pretty good, but is that all she can act? A crazy, depressed woman? I think not. Bradly's Cooper was really extravagance, almost annoying. Anyway, i got bored really soon. The directing and the mood/atmosphere of the 70s was amazing,but that was all. There was not any deeper point in this film. O. Russel is a very talented director, but i think he made a mistake! Next time! Definitely not a movie for an Oscar, maybe in Costume Design! Expand
  5. May 25, 2014
    From David O. Russell the director of The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook brings us a "some what true stroy" of A FBI operation that took place in the late 1970's to early 80s. Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Adams) are two con artist that end up being forced to work for the FBI (Cooper) to help them set up a operation to take down all the corrupt politicians and mayor ofFrom David O. Russell the director of The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook brings us a "some what true stroy" of A FBI operation that took place in the late 1970's to early 80s. Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Adams) are two con artist that end up being forced to work for the FBI (Cooper) to help them set up a operation to take down all the corrupt politicians and mayor of New Jersey. The cast is amazing of course with all these stars it would be hard for a movie not be great. The Dialog was fantastic it felt real and that's when you know there is good chemistry between all the actors.

Overall though the movie was too bloated for me it felt like the whole time it was one step forward two steps back. A lot of scenes that you can tell have nothing to do with the story other then just to have more character drama. The ending was great though maybe if the movie was about 10-15 minutes shorter then it could have been something great. I give it a 7.3 I don't see how the film is being loved so much people need to get past the eye candy look through all the BS filler and see what the movie really is.
  6. May 6, 2014
    Critics are wrong sometimes but why do they thought this film terrific, this film is bad, tge unic thing that saves this film are the actings and im not talking about the not so good at this film jennifer lawrence.
  7. Jan 22, 2014
    What makes this movie unique is the concentration on the characters which reveals to us their complexity by providing general but deep qualities on each character that allows us to go deeper and conclude more characteristics on these tremendous characters which makes them even more real. Everyone stuck in his own bubble which is holding him/her from moving on and enjoying life. Both mainWhat makes this movie unique is the concentration on the characters which reveals to us their complexity by providing general but deep qualities on each character that allows us to go deeper and conclude more characteristics on these tremendous characters which makes them even more real. Everyone stuck in his own bubble which is holding him/her from moving on and enjoying life. Both main characters in search for something that will help them get over they're problems which is love. One enjoying what he does, meeting another who's running away from his past and saving her life only to get into more trouble. Throughout this movie, various stories are taking place at once, with various characters who are dying to make a change in their life. American Hustle is mainly about the characters (and that's why the four actors are nominated for the Oscars) also showing us various layers of that society at that time...One of the best movies this year. Expand
  8. Jan 18, 2014
    Can I just start with - how the hell are people giving this film bad reviews? People saying it was boring, no thrills? Completely wrong. If you are planning to watch this movie, do it. Do not listen to people who have given negative feedback towards it, because it deserves nothing but positive feedback. It is a brilliant film.

The four main characters - Irving (Bale), Sydney (Adams),

The four main characters - Irving (Bale), Sydney (Adams), Richie (Cooper) and Rosalyn (Lawrence), and you could argue the Mayor is a main character as well, are all brilliant. Great acting. There's something you should like about each one of them, as well as something you won't like. And I especially liked Jennifer Lawrence, we probably all know her best from 'The Hunger Games', and her change of character is amazing, she was one of my favourite actresses already, now my opinion of her is even better, she's just brilliant!

What I love about this film the most though, is how it is very thrilling at times, then occasionally O. Russell drops in little scenes which are actually really funny, similar to one of his previous films - Silver Linings Playbook. If you have a good sense of humour, you should get a few laughs from this, which is great since it's not even a comedy film.

I could go on and on with why the film is so great, but that would spoil the plot, so overall, the story is brilliant, watch it.

I couldn't give the film a 10 though, just because of a few very minor problems I had with it. This probably isn't something you should complain about really, but it did run on a little longer than it should have. Its only a little over 2 hours, but it felt much longer than that, and they could have easily shortened it down a bit and the film would have been just as good. Also, no matter what age you have or how intelligent you are, it can be quite hard to follow at times, you really need to pay attention or you'll be lost. Maybe this isn't a disadvantage for some, as maybe some people like to think about the film whilst watching, but I prefer to be able to sit down, relax and enjoy it. But, don't let this put you off from watching it, as you'll still be able to pick up a lot of things, and you'll understand the overall story.
  9. Jan 21, 2014
    Woah, this is a mixed bag for me. Let me begin by saying this: I did enjoy American Hustle. There we go, now that that is off my chest, let me say: It is the most didactic movie I've seen in theaters this year.
    If nothing else, it serves as a fine example of what great acting can do to elevate very average material.
    American Hustle suffers from an identity crisis - it doesn't know

American Hustle suffers from an identity crisis - it doesn't know whether it wants to be an energetic crime farce or a tense conspiracy thriller. Right from the get go, it positions itself to be a Goodfellas style crime film, with unnecessary voiceovers helpfully explaining things that will get explained in dialogue later on (hello, exposition redundancy), then drops that pretension (just before Scorsese can call his lawyer, I suppose) in order to affect a strangely hit or miss series of scenes cobbled together with awkward musical transitions, before reverting back to the Goodfellas style once the third act kicks in. There are terrific scenes in this film, but they mostly get lost in the shuffle. Where this film looses steam is between scenes.

Don't get me wrong here, this is not a bad movie - it is an annoyingly messy one. It has terrific acting & characters, but the production around that seems confused about what sort of film it wants to be. The writing and editing skew the tone all over the place - it didn't seem to know whether it was more comfortable empathizing with its characters or laughing at them - and the pace felt very uneven throughout, most frequently when it moves between scenes. Sometimes it felt so sloppy I found myself wondering how much improvising they did both on the set and in post-production.

This is a film full of great characters and solid moments of compelling drama & comedy. It's huge problem lies in its identity crisis. It's easily the weakest David O. Russell film I have seen, simply because it lacks the focus of its peers. What a mess. An enjoyable mess, but a mess nonetheless.
  10. Jan 30, 2014
    I went into this movie with a 50/50 perception. After watching this, I came to love it. The acting was very strong; especially Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams. But I did feel Like I wanted more of the story than was given.
  11. Apr 29, 2014
    American Hustle is energetic, funny and perfectly cast. It features smart twists & turns from a very smart script and is directed stylishly by David O. Russell.
  12. Mar 12, 2014
    Great Movie, amazing direction and production. Great performances, most notably from Jennifer Lawrence and Christian Bale. Sometimes it gets slow and boring but at last it leads to an incredible plot and an unexpected end. Highly recommended.
  13. Aug 26, 2014
    This was another good movie. Christian Bale delivered another solid performance. Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper were good as well but Jennifer Lawrence's performance was outstanding. My favourite part was Bradley Cooper's face coming to the end.
  14. Jan 29, 2014
    Buyer beware. This is more of a rom com than a hustle flick.

Not what it says on the tin, and for that I feel utterly scammed. If Romance isn't your thing, don't touch this with a 6 foot pole.

A few points for the 70s costumes, Christian's Bale unrecognizable character, and the thrashy wife, superbly played by Jennifer Lawrence.
  15. Jan 6, 2014
    Wait this isn't a game

...................................................................................................................................................
  16. May 8, 2014
    There wasn't much of a storyline, and that's the film's fatal flaw, but "American Hustle" was an undeniable extravaganza of a film. Director David O. Russell deserves credit for his exuberant, striking evocation of the glitz and glamour '70s. The acting was superb all round: I particularly enjoyed Bradley Cooper, who made for an excellent sleazebag FBI agent. It may have been a massiveThere wasn't much of a storyline, and that's the film's fatal flaw, but "American Hustle" was an undeniable extravaganza of a film. Director David O. Russell deserves credit for his exuberant, striking evocation of the glitz and glamour '70s. The acting was superb all round: I particularly enjoyed Bradley Cooper, who made for an excellent sleazebag FBI agent. It may have been a massive exercise in style over substance, but it was an entertaining one. Expand
  17. Dec 30, 2013
    Excellent movie. Unusual to see actual character development in films out of Hollywood these days, but this one accomplishes that in spades. Bale and Adams are excellent, and Lawrence (while I wanted a more fitting end to her character) does much with her screen time. I had few expectations going in, but I have to consider this Russell's best film to date.
  18. Feb 22, 2014
    Not perfect, but very worthy. Excellent performances. Amy Adams was pretty darn hot. A very enjoyable, entertaining movie. Yes, there were a few moments where you expended a tad too much energy suspending disbelief, but it is taken in stride and actually adds to the experience. Did I say that Amy Adams was really darn hot?
  19. Dec 31, 2013
    Like Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle blends comedy and drama perfectly, and has amazing performances. Boy, does David O. Russell know how to direct actors, his movies are always the best with that. The story in American Hustle is also great, and very unpredictable, as are the characters. Its moments of comedy seem to come in at almost too perfect of times, and it doesn't feel likeLike Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle blends comedy and drama perfectly, and has amazing performances. Boy, does David O. Russell know how to direct actors, his movies are always the best with that. The story in American Hustle is also great, and very unpredictable, as are the characters. Its moments of comedy seem to come in at almost too perfect of times, and it doesn't feel like a comic relief, but it just feels natural. Great film, great acting.

American Hustle gets 9.1/10
  20. Jan 1, 2014
    Enjoyable fun movie with great cast of characters. Very much enjoyed the 70's flashback and creative filming that kept us entertained all the way to the end!
  21. Feb 21, 2014
    2 words: JENNIFER LAWRENCE. Honestly, when it comes to a David O. Russell universal acclaimed movie, I couldn't think of anyone besides Jennifer Lawrence. For me, she was definitely the scene stealer in that movie. However, she's not the only one who did an exceptional acting. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper really committed to their roles as Irving Rosenfeld and Richie DiMaso,2 words: JENNIFER LAWRENCE. Honestly, when it comes to a David O. Russell universal acclaimed movie, I couldn't think of anyone besides Jennifer Lawrence. For me, she was definitely the scene stealer in that movie. However, she's not the only one who did an exceptional acting. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper really committed to their roles as Irving Rosenfeld and Richie DiMaso, respectively, and delivered an award-worthy performance. I don't know why Amy Adams received such good praises for her role as Sydney Prosser, because, in my opinion, she only gave 75% of her acting ability. Such a shame though. Expand
  22. Jan 2, 2014
    "American Hustle" fires on all cylinders. A great script, believable performances from an excellent ensemble cast, a fun soundtrack and those wild hairstyles from the late 70s all work well together. All the players do a fine job, but Bale's turn as a sympathetic con artist was the standout. I wasn't familiar with the ABSCAM operation so I was entertained and educated at the same time.
  23. Jan 3, 2014
    A brillant classic American film with intense, terrific ensemble acting not seen since "Pulp Fiction". Oscar acting noms for everybody especially Christian Bale, Amy Adams, JLaw, and Jeremy Renner.
  24. Jan 5, 2014
    I found the movie to be well directed and the actors portrayed their roles excellently Jennifer Lawrence and Christian Bale particularly stood out, and would argue that J Laws role could be in the running for Best Supporting Actress in upcoming awards. The movie was filled with many plot twists, cliff-hangers, humorous moments and suspense. I would definitely recommend this film to anyoneI found the movie to be well directed and the actors portrayed their roles excellently Jennifer Lawrence and Christian Bale particularly stood out, and would argue that J Laws role could be in the running for Best Supporting Actress in upcoming awards. The movie was filled with many plot twists, cliff-hangers, humorous moments and suspense. I would definitely recommend this film to anyone interested in the 1950's-80's Mafia genre, and anyone in between. Overall, I give the film 9 out of 10. Expand
  25. Jan 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was fine. The characters weren't likable enough for me to care too deeply about their plight. I found the story a bit cumbersome, and the big con at the end would have been more interesting had we seen it being put together. Some great acting. Way over-hyped. Expand
  26. Jan 12, 2014
    The movie is all over the place, and drags on towards the end. Besides a few good laughs and a great performance from Christian Bale, not much else to get excited about.
  27. Jan 12, 2014
    Goodfellas meets Boogie Nights. Ok, so American Hustle was a bit bloated and sometimes contrived or overly cute in a Cameron Crowe way, but it was reminscent of the gritty mood of Goodfellas, and at times the Grifters, Closer, and at most farcical, Noises Off, but mostly it brought back the excitement of the first viewing of Boogie Nights, in that it, too, was a nostalgic, sexy,Goodfellas meets Boogie Nights. Ok, so American Hustle was a bit bloated and sometimes contrived or overly cute in a Cameron Crowe way, but it was reminscent of the gritty mood of Goodfellas, and at times the Grifters, Closer, and at most farcical, Noises Off, but mostly it brought back the excitement of the first viewing of Boogie Nights, in that it, too, was a nostalgic, sexy, music-driven, layered epic with a stellar, well-costumed ensemble. Expand
  28. Feb 3, 2014
    This movie is great, the acting is great, the writing is great, it is near perfect, but why isn't perfect, well the story is kind of just there, and the movie is just a slide show for the cast, and director David O'Russell's talents, but it is a really good one.
  29. Sep 17, 2014
    David O. Russell has really grown on me as a director. I have only seen four of his films now--Three Kings, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook and now this--but they have been four of the most intriguing American films of the past fifteen years. If he is patient, keeps up his writing and directing prowess and continues to develop the fine talent pool that obviously enjoys working forDavid O. Russell has really grown on me as a director. I have only seen four of his films now--Three Kings, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook and now this--but they have been four of the most intriguing American films of the past fifteen years. If he is patient, keeps up his writing and directing prowess and continues to develop the fine talent pool that obviously enjoys working for him, it's only a matter of time before he's making acceptance speeches in the Kodak Theatre some Sunday evening in February in the not-too-distant future. Expand
  30. Jan 18, 2014
    The all-star ensemble cast delivers but the gloss can't cover the weak script. Lawrence and Renner are superb in supporting roles as is male lead Christian Bale. The music, the costume and set design are, like the cast, all first rate.

Is this the best picture of the year? No. Top 10? Perhaps, but ultimately I left with expectations unfulfilled.
  31. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disappointing film. The depiction of the dawn of the Eighties seemed contrived and inauthentic. De Niro and JLaw are the only performances that feel like they belong in the story. Christian Bale portrays an ultimately sympathetic character with a measure of understatement. The always engaging Jeremy Renner stretches to play a good family man perhaps too eager to help his NJ constituents, but is sabotaged by an Elvis wig the size of Graceland. Indeed, it seemed like the toupées and up-dos should be nominated instead of the actors wearing them. Bradley Cooper goes over the top to the point where your not sure if he's sure what film he's in anymore. I agree with other reviewers: I don't feel that the FBI chain of command would just let Bradley Cooper's character have the run of the house so to speak. In fact, it has been suggested that Abscam was the FBI's response to the some of the Washington inquisitions of the Seventies, like the Church Committee.

A poor man's re-interpretation of Goodfellas, which is perhaps the definitive depiction of dangerous loyalties and survival in the emerging age of greed as a lifestyle. I guess I felt conned, but maybe that was the goal. Russell has directed two of my favorite films (Three Kings, The Fighter) but recently seems to be enthralled with Oscar award bait after making this piece and the slim Silver Linings Playbook.
  32. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amy Adams is reliably excellent, and David O. Russell's direction certainly has flair. However, the rest of the performances are a mixed bag- Jennifer Lawrence and Christian Bale are entertaining if a bit over-the-top; Bradley Cooper shows no range or depth; and Jeremy Renner, as the only morally upright character, is completely flat. The film is sporadically amusing but is completely lacking in intrigue or tension, and everything wraps up far too neatly at the end. "American Hustle" is this year's "Argo" - a Best Picture favorite that's long on style but short on substance and emotional weight. Without Adams, this movie would completely lack a soul. Expand
  33. Jan 19, 2014
    This was a good movie with a good concept and a cast of amazing actors. Perhaps that set the bar too high in my mind, but I just expected more. For the most part it kept my attention, but the only character I ever found myself really caring about was the mayor, and two days later I can't even remember his name. If you need something to pass the time, or you manage to catch this onThis was a good movie with a good concept and a cast of amazing actors. Perhaps that set the bar too high in my mind, but I just expected more. For the most part it kept my attention, but the only character I ever found myself really caring about was the mayor, and two days later I can't even remember his name. If you need something to pass the time, or you manage to catch this on television later on, definitely give it a watch. There are a lot of great moments and you'll probably walk away thinking about the actors, but these moment just don't come together in a way that will leave you caring about the actual film. Expand
  34. Jan 23, 2014
    Yawning confusion of uninterested boredom performed to think otherwise, typical O. Russel's synthetic effect spelling non-specific genre themes and styles. O. Russel's a mixer always lookin in the cupboards for new spices, sweeteners, and sauces. Takes time time to surrender and accept in his films, once he does has your taste buds excited, licking for more. It's raw though. Like a batchYawning confusion of uninterested boredom performed to think otherwise, typical O. Russel's synthetic effect spelling non-specific genre themes and styles. O. Russel's a mixer always lookin in the cupboards for new spices, sweeteners, and sauces. Takes time time to surrender and accept in his films, once he does has your taste buds excited, licking for more. It's raw though. Like a batch of cookies yet to heavenly cook in the oven. You just wanna garble the bowl down. But he only gives you small doses on a spoon. Then there's the writing. I say the best ones have the best lines, and the best memories and connection with personable life. Rich like JLaw's, "I'm not good with change. Sometimes I think I'll die before I change." Or Bale's monologue, "An artist's story is a story that never ends." Added with tablespoons of funny lines that I will not spoil. It nudges Wolf by a teaspoon 'cause of it's depth in academy award worthy performances. JLaw perfumes free will in this. Those with defined palettes are in for a treat. Expand
  35. Jan 29, 2014
    This was one of those films where the parts were greater than the sum of the parts. Mathematics may not be my strong suit, so let me explain. There were some excellent performances, Jennifer Lawrence in particular I thought really warmed up as the film went on, but in the end it didn’t work for me. The weakness lay in the character of the New Jersey mayor ... not Renner's acting, just theThis was one of those films where the parts were greater than the sum of the parts. Mathematics may not be my strong suit, so let me explain. There were some excellent performances, Jennifer Lawrence in particular I thought really warmed up as the film went on, but in the end it didn’t work for me. The weakness lay in the character of the New Jersey mayor ... not Renner's acting, just the way it was conceived. While the rest of the baddies were stereotypes, and the good guys comic, here we had someone with a bit of complexity, who became the real victim. Overall the film just seemed a bit too far-fetched, and didn't quite hit the mark. But it has 10 Oscar nominations … I must be wrong! Expand
  36. Jan 24, 2014
    Explosively Entertaining. The actors are winning! Amy Adams owns everything she puts on the film. Jennifer Lawrence is fierce- A total Blast. surely one of the Best Films of 2013, probably of the new decade.
  37. Feb 21, 2014
    A pretty good movie that is a fun ride. The best part of the film is easily the acting by the amazing cast. After seeing it though I would have chosen a couple other movies for the best picture nomination well over this one. I also really think that if the roles were in lesser actors hands I would like the movie a lot less, the cast are a very big part of what made it enjoyable to watch for me.
  38. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. David O. Russel weighs in once more with a piece built entirely for actors, but one that almost demonizes the concept of writers. The characters actions are no longer built in a world of design or any possible association with reality there sole goal is to create situations that make no sense but allow said actors to create star moments as it were, such as Richie's assault on his superior and his weird scream when Sydney drops her accent. Thus leaving us with a piece that is as shiny and glossy as a con-man's veneer but with as little substance and result as that very same individual.
    The Poe Scale
    Acting: 2/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 2/2
    Effects and Design 1.5/2
    Writing: 0.5/2
  39. May 9, 2014
    Beautifully striking movie that David O. Russel manages to pull off but he's not the only one you should be giving credit to. The acting that Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Bale use to reinforce such strong acting and writing make this movie a thrill to watch.
  40. Feb 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most overrated films of the year. Two low-rent con artists are convinced to run a sting on New Jersey politicians by a misguided FBI man. Most of the characters are exaggerated to the point of caricature, and the most sympathetic person in the film is a politician caught in their net. It's somewhat unbelievable that anybody could be caught in their scam (i.e. the Latino posing as an Arab). The music and clothes of the 1970's are fun, and I might have found the film amusing if my expectations had not been heightened by all the critics' praise. Expand
  41. Feb 22, 2014
    David O. Russell makes a great fun loving movie with characters that drive the story lin with their acting as well as a charming and sometimes humoring script that makes you leave the theatre with a smile on your face. It is a must see.
  42. Nov 23, 2014
    American Hustle es otra buena película del director David O. Russell, que va avanzando en una historia casual, hábil y compleja que te deja con una impresión bastante interesante y fresca.
  43. Mar 16, 2014
    It's overrated. Not the movie, but the judgment.

Here's why. I know the plot within the first 5 minutes. It's not because I am a movie genius, but I saw similar style in a lot of Vegas (I know it's about Atlantic city) and 70-80's inspired movies. Acting? Well, apart from Jeremy Renner tiny part in this film, I don't think the other actors should be regarded that high. I am not
    It's overrated. Not the movie, but the judgment.

Acting? Well, apart from Jeremy Renner tiny part in this film, I don't think the other actors should be regarded that high. I am not saying they did bad acting, they are good, but just good. Why? Once again, there are benchmarks out there which you can use to measure how good Cooper, Bale, Adams, and Lawrence can possibly be.

Bale in The Flowers of War.
    Cooper and Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook.
    Adams in Doubt and Julie and Julia.

A good real-story based movie?
    How do you compare this with Goodfellas?

User score reflects fairer assessment than the big media & pro critics score, some of which gave inexplicably perfect 10. I read some of the critic reviews, I just don't see their points.

I myself found this movie predictable.
  44. Oct 18, 2014
    To be 100% honest i watched this film with family members on the off chance that it may be ok. I had avoided watching it since its release because i wouldnt be assed with another "wolf of wall street" copy.

When i actually watched the film it was both original and entertaining. Its really not what i expected and it really captured my imagination. The soundtrack alone spoke to me (pretentious some may say) but i really fell in love with this film because of the latter. The story isnt the most original in the world but they make the best of it and it kept me hooked. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys seeing the bad guy win and can relate to sin ;)
  45. qev
    Apr 10, 2014
    every aspect of this film is a delight, from concept to execution (via some tremendous characterizations by a truly talented cast (Bale's best perf, perchance?), thru a proper on-it plot, by way of excellent settings and bang-on, shameless costumes (and hair!), right up to the "did you guess the end beforehand? NO!" activity). spot on
  46. Jul 19, 2014
    Uno de los mejores trabajos de David O. Rusell, si no, hasta el mejor, artisticamente una maravilla para vista, y con interpretaciones magnificas por parte de todo el elenco.
  47. May 24, 2014
    Good acting but I just could not get into this movie, I felt bored for most of the first half. I didn't really know why they were doing what they were doing. Story felt pretty bland even though it was based on a true story I just couldn't get into this movie. I didn't hate this movie by any means but I don't know why it got all the praise it did. I'm glad it did not win any Oscars as itGood acting but I just could not get into this movie, I felt bored for most of the first half. I didn't really know why they were doing what they were doing. Story felt pretty bland even though it was based on a true story I just couldn't get into this movie. I didn't hate this movie by any means but I don't know why it got all the praise it did. I'm glad it did not win any Oscars as it was not deserving of any. Expand
  48. Apr 28, 2014
    This film left me confused, for lack of a better word. David O. Russell again put the actor’s need at the forefront, giving them almost complete freedom with their characters, and that’s great. Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and especially Amy Adams knock the ball out of the park. Unfortunately this was detrimental to the overall plot, which seemed muddled and sloppy. IThis film left me confused, for lack of a better word. David O. Russell again put the actor’s need at the forefront, giving them almost complete freedom with their characters, and that’s great. Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and especially Amy Adams knock the ball out of the park. Unfortunately this was detrimental to the overall plot, which seemed muddled and sloppy. I feel like in the moment this film is great, full of life and energy, but a week or so after, you don’t remember it as fondly. And the hair is too much. Expand
  49. Jun 7, 2014
    David O. Russel is back and this time its for American Hustle. With famous stars such as Bale, Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Renner this movie is deemed for greatness. With a jazzy powerful script and actors that transformed themselves into their roles this truly makes for a great movie. You are left speechless at the amazing script and plot and when the end of this movie happens you willDavid O. Russel is back and this time its for American Hustle. With famous stars such as Bale, Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Renner this movie is deemed for greatness. With a jazzy powerful script and actors that transformed themselves into their roles this truly makes for a great movie. You are left speechless at the amazing script and plot and when the end of this movie happens you will be struck with awe at how well of an overall movie this is. I truly think this movie deserved Best Picture at The Oscars 2013... 10/10 Expand
  50. Aug 8, 2014
    David O. Russell has once again proves himself of how to direct a good film. It is the brilliant movie ever since Silver Linings Playbook with Cooper and Lawrence. With Bale and Adams, the movie brings stimulating performances and interlectuall dialogue by the actors and the filmmakers to bring this movie into real life.
  51. Jul 4, 2014
    "American Hustle" is a very talky film - I think that's why many audiences have disliked it. However, that is exactly why I liked it, because it gave all the characters more developed personalities than we usually see in the movies. The use of the 70s music was also excellent. The ending wasn't really that good; from a movie that is about a HUSTLE, I expect more HUSTLING. Still, the movie"American Hustle" is a very talky film - I think that's why many audiences have disliked it. However, that is exactly why I liked it, because it gave all the characters more developed personalities than we usually see in the movies. The use of the 70s music was also excellent. The ending wasn't really that good; from a movie that is about a HUSTLE, I expect more HUSTLING. Still, the movie is super-solid, though. An award-show bait, but still solid. Expand
  52. Mar 26, 2015
    8.8/10................................................................................................................................................
  53. Nov 8, 2014
    Una buena película, mas lenta de lo que pensaba, pero con unas interpretaciones sólidas. La trama es algo complicada de seguir, me perdí en el tramo final pero en general creo que es interesante. Los actores bordan sus papeles, maquillados de una forma inusual.
  54. Nov 10, 2014
  55. Feb 6, 2015
    O elenco inteiro estava perfeito. A história é perfeita e tem diversas cenas engraçadas. Jennifer Lawrence, como sempre, foi o ponto alto de tudo. Mesmo sendo a coadjuvante.
  56. Sep 20, 2014
    A con artist and his con artist mistress, being blackmailed, after being caught conning, to con an unsuspecting politician in the hopes of catching the big time cons – this is the plot of American Hustle.

Richie DiMaso is the FBI agent, hungry to make a name for himself, not happy with catching two small time crooks, Sydney Prosser (Lady Edith Greensley) and Irving Rosenfeld. Instead he uses these con artists to help him catch more in exchange for immunity from their crimes, continually upping the stakes. Not satisfied until he has several politicians and the mob within his reach.

David O. Russell reminds me of the directors of the past that had a reliable inner circle of actors he recycled over and over in movies – clearly favoring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Both talented actors who seem miscast in their roles as neither are able to fully become their characters. You, as the viewer, can’t help shake that it is Bradley Cooper being the hungry FBI agent Richie DiMaso and Jennifer Lawrence pretending to be the unstable wife Rosalyn Rosenfeld, the latter being far worse than the former.

Amy Adams’ multilayered portrayal of the master con artist manipulator Sydney Prosser (aka Edith) steals the show in the role. Unfortunately, this is not particularly difficult given her costars’ performances. The character development is there for all roles, but just not brought to life. Better equipped, though lesser known, actors would have elevated this movie to a point where it was a runaway for the Oscars.

I was absolutely charmed by the costume design by Michael Wilkinson and believe that his innate ability in capturing the late 1970’s helps captivate the audience, drawing them into this comedic drama. I am sure true fashionistas knowledgeable in style trends will point out flaws but the polyester clad bodies, exposed chests and prevalent curlers will be awesome fun for the ignorant viewer.

All in all, it is a fun movie filled with good music and an entertaining story line as you root for unlikely con artist protagonists. Hoping they get out unscathed for their ‘happily ever after’.

More reviews of recent releases at our website!
  57. Jan 16, 2015
    I don't understand this movie at all,this is the most boring movie that i have ever saw,cut it in such a complicate way....I just wanna ask,who gave this movie such a high points?I still can't believe i spent 2 hours watching this movie.It's horrible
  58. Dec 29, 2014
    Even though the film has a highly confusing plot, along with lots of scenes that get incredibly boring, it still has solid direction from David O. Russell, great production design, dialogue and a solid cast with Christian Bale as the standout.
  59. Feb 20, 2015
    While the characters are well played , the logical coherence is more and more doubtful. Neither does my cat understand the plot nor does my rabbit. Maybe Jennifer Lawrence is hot , but this movie is not.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2013
    Like everyone else in Russell's cast, Lawrence appears to be having a blast in the role. It's downright contagious.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 21, 2013
    A work of tremendous confidence and dazzling showmanship that may just be a delirious movie-as-drug-high or may, if you choose to read it this way, contain a level of commentary about the nature of America and the illusioneering of Hollywood.
    The movie is a slot machine that never stops spitting quarters.