7.5

1. Nov 23, 2014
    American Hustle es otra buena película del director David O. Russell, que va avanzando en una historia casual, hábil y compleja que te deja con una impresión bastante interesante y fresca.
  2. Nov 17, 2014
    American Hustle is one of the funnest films I've seen in a long time and it's my favourite David O. Russell film to date. This film reminded me very much of Quentin Tarantino's 'Jackie Brown'. As crime drama's go neither of them are particularly groundbreaking. But as stylish and vibrant pieces of filmmaking they are both thoroughly enjoyable experiences. David O. Russell's overall direction is solid and visually he captures the 70's with style and elegance. The whole cast is superb but Christian Bale is the standout and he reinvents himself once more. Jennifer Lawrence hilariously steals every single scene and Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper & Jeremy Renner are all great too. And Louis C.K is a worthy mention also. The styling and soundtrack play a major part in bringing the 70's to life and there's some great tracks from the likes of ELO, Donna Summer, Elton John, The Bee Gee's & Wings. There's certainly a lot of fun to be had and revisit with American Hustle. Expand
  3. Nov 10, 2014
    American Hustle is energetic, funny and perfectly cast. It features smart twists & turns from a very smart script and is directed stylishly by David O. Russell.
  4. Nov 8, 2014
    Una buena película, mas lenta de lo que pensaba, pero con unas interpretaciones sólidas. La trama es algo complicada de seguir, me perdí en el tramo final pero en general creo que es interesante. Los actores bordan sus papeles, maquillados de una forma inusual.
  5. Oct 18, 2014
    To be 100% honest i watched this film with family members on the off chance that it may be ok. I had avoided watching it since its release because i wouldnt be assed with another "wolf of wall street" copy.

When i actually watched the film it was both original and entertaining. Its really not what i expected and it really captured my imagination. The soundtrack alone spoke to me
    (pretentious some may say) but i really fell in love with this film because of the latter. The story isnt the most original in the world but they make the best of it and it kept me hooked. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys seeing the bad guy win and can relate to sin ;) Expand
  6. Sep 29, 2014
    It is something out of the common. 'American Hustle' turns out to be my top favorite of the year-maybe of ALL time. It is great! Uncommonly hilarious and contagious. The best picture of 2013!
  7. Sep 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film convinced me to register here. I just couldn't believe the high average review score. I/10 is harsh but there is no way this is a 7.5, which makes the critic score just ridiculous.

I like the four main characters in their previous work, but my god this was turgid. Cooper, Adams, Lawrence and Bale is pretty much a dream-team cast, but I found myself losing interest well before the end, and generally not caring about what was going to happen.

Where was the danger? The slick voiceovers, quick wit and bizarre costumes created a more comical setting, but apart from the five minutes where De Niro rocks up I never felt that any of the characters were in any danger. Cooper bless him might get his heart broken. Oh well. It's not exactly Joe Pesci's menacing presence.

A bunch of generally unlikeable characters all trying to get one up on each other. Rather than Goodfellas,, this was more like Ocean's Eleven without the charm and twists.
  8. Sep 20, 2014
    A con artist and his con artist mistress, being blackmailed, after being caught conning, to con an unsuspecting politician in the hopes of catching the big time cons – this is the plot of American Hustle.

Richie DiMaso is the FBI agent, hungry to make a name for himself, not happy with catching two small time crooks, Sydney Prosser (Lady Edith Greensley) and Irving Rosenfeld. Instead he
    uses these con artists to help him catch more in exchange for immunity from their crimes, continually upping the stakes. Not satisfied until he has several politicians and the mob within his reach.

David O. Russell reminds me of the directors of the past that had a reliable inner circle of actors he recycled over and over in movies – clearly favoring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Both talented actors who seem miscast in their roles as neither are able to fully become their characters. You, as the viewer, can’t help shake that it is Bradley Cooper being the hungry FBI agent Richie DiMaso and Jennifer Lawrence pretending to be the unstable wife Rosalyn Rosenfeld, the latter being far worse than the former.

Amy Adams’ multilayered portrayal of the master con artist manipulator Sydney Prosser (aka Edith) steals the show in the role. Unfortunately, this is not particularly difficult given her costars’ performances. The character development is there for all roles, but just not brought to life. Better equipped, though lesser known, actors would have elevated this movie to a point where it was a runaway for the Oscars.

I was absolutely charmed by the costume design by Michael Wilkinson and believe that his innate ability in capturing the late 1970’s helps captivate the audience, drawing them into this comedic drama. I am sure true fashionistas knowledgeable in style trends will point out flaws but the polyester clad bodies, exposed chests and prevalent curlers will be awesome fun for the ignorant viewer.

All in all, it is a fun movie filled with good music and an entertaining story line as you root for unlikely con artist protagonists. Hoping they get out unscathed for their ‘happily ever after’.

More reviews of recent releases at our website!
  9. Sep 17, 2014
    David O. Russell has really grown on me as a director. I have only seen four of his films now--Three Kings, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook and now this--but they have been four of the most intriguing American films of the past fifteen years. If he is patient, keeps up his writing and directing prowess and continues to develop the fine talent pool that obviously enjoys working for him, it's only a matter of time before he's making acceptance speeches in the Kodak Theatre some Sunday evening in February in the not-too-distant future. Expand
  10. Sep 2, 2014
    Another incredible ensemble from David O. Russell. He's once again taken a dark theme and somehow made it comedic. I applaud David O. Russell and his wonderful cast of bandits. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence once again prove their worthiness.
  11. Aug 26, 2014
    This was another good movie. Christian Bale delivered another solid performance. Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper were good as well but Jennifer Lawrence's performance was outstanding. My favourite part was Bradley Cooper's face coming to the end.
  12. Aug 8, 2014
    David O. Russell has once again proves himself of how to direct a good film. It is the brilliant movie ever since Silver Linings Playbook with Cooper and Lawrence. With Bale and Adams, the movie brings stimulating performances and interlectuall dialogue by the actors and the filmmakers to bring this movie into real life.
  13. Jul 25, 2014
    Unoriginal, unfunny,unengaging , uninteresting, unentertaining, self obsessed, super pretentious and absolutely boring. The oscar wining the sting meets goodfellas/casino and cast Robert DeNiro to insult the injury.

We see Christian Blair doing his hair in the opening scene and this is the point where the film loses the connection with its audience and proves that " the look" is so
    important. This is why we see the 70s hair do, fashion and music all the way through film but hey Who cares the plot?

Some of the audience might have loved the film's charm.However ,it is a 20 minute too long and empty film in the end.
  14. Jul 19, 2014
    Uno de los mejores trabajos de David O. Rusell, si no, hasta el mejor, artisticamente una maravilla para vista, y con interpretaciones magnificas por parte de todo el elenco.
  15. Jul 13, 2014
    I'm just scratching my head looking at these comments complaining how silly and over the top everything was.
    Um, you people are aware this is a comedy, right? In the words of the Joker: "Why so serious?"
  16. Ozy
    Jul 11, 2014
    A long and somewhat boring movie with snippets of "fun". Very talky talky and one very hot toilet sex scene - which is about as exciting as the movie got. Great acting by all means. If i got anything from this movie it was that bale can actually act. I didn't know that - good for him.
  17. Jul 4, 2014
    "American Hustle" is a very talky film - I think that's why many audiences have disliked it. However, that is exactly why I liked it, because it gave all the characters more developed personalities than we usually see in the movies. The use of the 70s music was also excellent. The ending wasn't really that good; from a movie that is about a HUSTLE, I expect more HUSTLING. Still, the movie is super-solid, though. An award-show bait, but still solid. Expand
  18. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I went to see the film because of the many good reviews. Snucked in a Dominos Pizza and felt lethargic half way through film. Got food poisoning that night.
    Review:
    Pros: General good acting, particularly Lawrence's.
    Cons: This is a rather slow and miserable film with terrible hair for all the main actors. Cooper's character was a d**k, Bale's was inept,
    Lawrence's was naive and I've never liked Adams's acting ever.
    2/5 - Don't bother.
  19. Jun 7, 2014
    David O. Russel is back and this time its for American Hustle. With famous stars such as Bale, Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Renner this movie is deemed for greatness. With a jazzy powerful script and actors that transformed themselves into their roles this truly makes for a great movie. You are left speechless at the amazing script and plot and when the end of this movie happens you will be struck with awe at how well of an overall movie this is. I truly think this movie deserved Best Picture at The Oscars 2013... 10/10 Expand
  20. Jun 4, 2014
    Great actors, not a bad story. But the movie just didn't flow for me, about 3/4 of the way. I totally lost interest. That's not a good sign! the movie overall is a 5 out of 10. I already forgot about it
  21. Jun 1, 2014
    A whole bunch of good actors playing interesting characters with clear motivation. I've read that the director cared about the characters more than about the story, so he let them improvise, and that's really great! The story is pretty slow though and some interesting events start to happen only in the second half of the movie.
  22. May 25, 2014
    From David O. Russell the director of The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook brings us a "some what true stroy" of A FBI operation that took place in the late 1970's to early 80s. Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Adams) are two con artist that end up being forced to work for the FBI (Cooper) to help them set up a operation to take down all the corrupt politicians and mayor of New Jersey. The cast is amazing of course with all these stars it would be hard for a movie not be great. The Dialog was fantastic it felt real and that's when you know there is good chemistry between all the actors.

Overall though the movie was too bloated for me it felt like the whole time it was one step forward two steps back. A lot of scenes that you can tell have nothing to do with the story other then just to have more character drama. The ending was great though maybe if the movie was about 10-15 minutes shorter then it could have been something great. I give it a 7.3 I don't see how the film is being loved so much people need to get past the eye candy look through all the BS filler and see what the movie really is.
  23. May 24, 2014
    Good acting but I just could not get into this movie, I felt bored for most of the first half. I didn't really know why they were doing what they were doing. Story felt pretty bland even though it was based on a true story I just couldn't get into this movie. I didn't hate this movie by any means but I don't know why it got all the praise it did. I'm glad it did not win any Oscars as it was not deserving of any. Expand
  24. May 16, 2014
    I had high hopes for this film, I decided not to bother reading the reviews, what a mistake that was!!! While its not one of the worst films I've ever watched it was close! Over two hours of my life I'll never get back. The pacing was terrible, after about 30 minutes I found myself wanting the film to end, I would have turned it off if I didn't have company. Even Amy Adams obvious talents did nothing to improve my opinion of this film, and Christian Bale was about as far away from the Batman trilogy as is humanly possible!!

Do yourself a favour and don't buy this, wait until its on TV. I wish I had read the reviews before buying this film.
  25. May 9, 2014
    Beautifully striking movie that David O. Russel manages to pull off but he's not the only one you should be giving credit to. The acting that Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Bale use to reinforce such strong acting and writing make this movie a thrill to watch.
  26. May 8, 2014
    There wasn't much of a storyline, and that's the film's fatal flaw, but "American Hustle" was an undeniable extravaganza of a film. Director David O. Russell deserves credit for his exuberant, striking evocation of the glitz and glamour '70s. The acting was superb all round: I particularly enjoyed Bradley Cooper, who made for an excellent sleazebag FBI agent. It may have been a massive exercise in style over substance, but it was an entertaining one. Expand
  27. May 6, 2014
    Critics are wrong sometimes but why do they thought this film terrific, this film is bad, tge unic thing that saves this film are the actings and im not talking about the not so good at this film jennifer lawrence.
  28. May 3, 2014
    Once again the movie critics prove how little they know about what goes into making a great movie. Yes, the movie had incredible acting and the setting was founded upon detail after detail. However, does entertainment value mean nothing? I'm sorry but I was to enjoy my moviegoing experience, not be bored out of my mind while I acknowledge that Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress. Honestly, the only things redeemable about this movie were Lawrence and Bradley Cooper's insane yet fantastic performances and Amy Adams relentless cleavage and side-boob. None of the characters are likable in any way and the plot drags and is annoying. The acting and the well detailed setting are worthwhile but the rest of the film is not. Expand
  29. Apr 29, 2014
  30. Apr 28, 2014
    This film left me confused, for lack of a better word. David O. Russell again put the actor’s need at the forefront, giving them almost complete freedom with their characters, and that’s great. Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and especially Amy Adams knock the ball out of the park. Unfortunately this was detrimental to the overall plot, which seemed muddled and sloppy. I feel like in the moment this film is great, full of life and energy, but a week or so after, you don’t remember it as fondly. And the hair is too much. Expand
  31. Apr 23, 2014
    I finally watched this movie on Blu-Ray today. No need to recap the many, many comments already made. Suffice to say, in my opinion, that the performances, by an excellent cast, were more over-the-top than seemed necessary. I grew weary of all of the shouting. In summary, "American Hustle" was about 30 minutes too long.
  32. Apr 19, 2014
    Trying to rip off Karen from Goodfellas.....badly! I can't for the life of me understand how this film got such good reviews. Bad. Just BAD.

The plot of this film started as one thing and ended in another but tried to make out a kind of Usual Suspects twist at the end. Rubbish pure rubbish.
  33. Apr 12, 2014
    American Hustle tells the story of con man Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and partner Sydney Prosser (Adams) as they are forced to use their tricks in order to help ambitious FBI agent Richie DiMaso (Cooper).

Featuring a fantastic cast and a darkly humorous script this is certainly one of the best movies of 2013, even if it doesn’t quite deliver fully on it initial set up.
  34. qev
    Apr 10, 2014
    every aspect of this film is a delight, from concept to execution (via some tremendous characterizations by a truly talented cast (Bale's best perf, perchance?), thru a proper on-it plot, by way of excellent settings and bang-on, shameless costumes (and hair!), right up to the "did you guess the end beforehand? NO!" activity). spot on
  35. Apr 7, 2014
    I liked this film a lot (at least compared to the other crap in 2013-14). The acting was great. Amy Adams and Christian Bale were very good....you cared about the characters in this movie, which is more than I can say about others (Gravity, Grand Budapest, even Wolf of Wall st). The ending was great too. There was humor interspersed, but not overly done for a drama. I went into this with low expectations, thinking it was over-hyped, but I enjoyed it. Better than Wolf of Wall St, which I also enjoyed. Expand
  36. Apr 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is cynical, vacuous and depressing. The critics are really wrong about this one! The main character is so unlovable. Which is why the ending really irked me. Con-artists don't become good people all of a sudden, and ride off into the sunset enjoying a conventional and moral existence. Yes, perhaps he had some redeeming qualities, but no leopard changes their spots like that. Oh, did I mention that this movie is cynical, vacuous and depressing? Except for the ending, which is just silly. Expand
  37. Apr 2, 2014
    I came in to this movie thinking I was going to see a real badass gangster movie about hustlers. can't give more then 0 because I couldn't finish it. This is the story of a pathetic man that robs people of 5000 dollars, in my eyes this isn't a hustler. Bad title, bad story and just overall bad, can't seem to find the reason this movie gets a score that high from critics, together with frozen probably the most misleading scores of critics this year, can't finish either movie and they have more then 7? everyone has a right to an opinion but this 10? What, you people have not seen any movie the past 10 years? Just watch silver linings playbook, a lot of the same actors, 10x better story (and I don't like romantic movies!!), IN WHAT WORLD WOULD THIS MOVIE BE WORTHY OF AN OSCAR? Even 47 ronin was more entertaining and man that movie sucked, but at least I could finish it Expand
  38. Mar 30, 2014
    This is the problem that I had with this film, it was utterly boring. The acting was beyond great don't get me wrong, but the movie itself was a total snooze fest! No real memorable scenes in it, except for the ending credits... Look, I don't mean to be so harsh but come on! Some people can agree it wasn't that great of a movie.
  39. Mar 30, 2014
    AMERICAN HUSTLE has an impeachable cast, a 70s zeitgeist ambience (sterling soundtrack, hairstyling and wardrobe selections), a not-so-bulletproof script, but the film is nonetheless a hail of David O’Russell’s consistency in his endeavour of characters-centred dramedy, he relentlessly supplies improvisations for his actors to illicit their spontaneous interactions with maximum dynamism, meanwhile his slick camera mobility complements the narrative steadily with intentional oomph to woo the audience, a strategy functions unexpectedly well after the one-two punch THE FIGHTER (2010, 8/10) and SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (2012, 7/10), now AMERICAN HUSTLE repeats the mojo, altogether ricochet him to the rarefied echelon of a three-times BEST DIRECTOR nominees, and an auteur status rosily awaits.

read the rest of my review at my blog "cinema omnivore", google it.
  40. Mar 26, 2014
    Oh my god!! What a BORING movie!!! I don´t understand what´s the Oscars fuzz about!! Some of the characters are OK, and some even suck. The plot is more of the same, nothing original here. The good things about this are the makeup, clothes, style, and of course Christian Bale´s great performance. The rest of the cast got nothing compared to him. But apart from this, this movie really sucks...
  41. Mar 25, 2014
    Fantastic film! Enjoyed this movie throughly from start to finish! Christian Bale gives a brilliant performance that easily rivals that of his work in Out of the Furnace! He is joined by an incredible supporting cast that includes Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Rehner, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Robert De Niro! All of whom do phenomenal work! Last but definitely not least, the story is incredible! It has an excellent twist at the end that was completely perfect and end up being exactly how you wanted it all to end! Don't listen to the people who tell you this movie is boring, it is truly one of the best films of the year and if you don't give it a chance you will really be doing yourself a disservice! Expand
  42. Mar 25, 2014
    Solid movie, a lil long and disjointed, but VERY little. This is a GREAT movie, it'll really get cha 'rooting' and saying verbals like "oh yeah!", "that's right", "OMG OMG!". The only complaint is the ending, the end twist is what disjoints the movie, its an EXTREMELY small twist, that doesn't start developing till LONG after the plot has run its course. The main complaint with the end twist, is how predictable and boring it is, it also gets right down corny at the VERY end. The ending brings a top notch 9/10 or even 10/10 movie, down to a 8/10. GREAT movie though, a must see, for movie lovers. Expand
  43. Mar 24, 2014
    Another excellent film under the directorship of David O. Russell. American Hustle is a modern day classic. Just genius. It tells the story of conman Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and his seductive mistress and partner Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams) who are forced to work with the F.B.I by Agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper) to set up an elaborate sting operation to uncover corrupt politicians including the Mayor of camden (Jeremy Renner) however it's the unpredictability of Rosenfelds's wife (Jennifer Lawrence) that puts the plan in danger. It's filled with fantastic performances from all the leads. Christian Bale proves his class with a stellar showing accompanied by his partner in crime Amy Adams who herself, impresses with a varying performance. Bradley Cooper also comes up with the goods in yet another star turn. Yet again, it's Jennifer Lawrence who steals the show. The girl isn't just amazingly stunning but she's an extraordinarily gifted actress as she continues to wow audiences in each film she appears in. She is sensational in her supporting role. The film is thoroughly entertaining. Infact, it's contagious!! Definitely a feel good film that you would foolish to miss out on especially when you have the star studded line up on show. Expand
  44. Mar 22, 2014
    American Hustle is a vigorously accomplished, and impressively stylized film. It's funny, it's full of twists, and it's undeniably alive. David O. Russell has absolutely perfected his directing style, and has cemented a spot among the top talents in the business. The screenplay is just incredibly well written. The actors are all either at the top of, or over the top of their game. Nearly every performance is shockingly good, even by the standards of this ensemble. The one I was most impressed with had to be Bale. His character was so far removed from his usual roles that at times I just had to laugh in astonished disbelief for how strange it was to see him like this. If I have any complaints about the movie they are few and far between. In the first act some lines are hard to hear, and some scenes can get pretty skanky. Other than that, it's great. In 2013, which was one of the best film years ever, American Hustle just might have been the best movie of the year. Expand
  45. Mar 22, 2014
    First things first....Christian Bale deserves the Oscar. He was Fantastic! All the characters are wonderful in this movie. Everybody is rally really good. Well acted and Directed. The story is good but not great. I wrote the opposite for Wold of Wall Street. The story could have been better and thats what help it back from perfection.
  46. Mar 21, 2014
    Sorry, we've been conned, hoodwinked which of course is the film's conceit. A bunch of b-list actors doing a 70s period piece featuring your dad's big-band music and your big brother's pop hits. This looks and feels like a made-for-tv movie from the 70s. I do not know how people sat through this in a theater. Seriously.
  47. Mar 20, 2014
    I was looking forward to seeing this film for a while but was left very disappointed. I struggled to get through it with boredom. The story seemed forced to me and while the level of acting was good I never got into at all. Expected more from an Oscar nominee.
  48. Mar 16, 2014
    It's overrated. Not the movie, but the judgment.

Here's why. I know the plot within the first 5 minutes. It's not because I am a movie genius, but I saw similar style in a lot of Vegas (I know it's about Atlantic city) and 70-80's inspired movies.

Acting? Well, apart from Jeremy Renner tiny part in this film, I don't think the other actors should be regarded that high. I am not
    saying they did bad acting, they are good, but just good. Why? Once again, there are benchmarks out there which you can use to measure how good Cooper, Bale, Adams, and Lawrence can possibly be.

Bale in The Flowers of War.
    Cooper and Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook.
    Adams in Doubt and Julie and Julia.

A good real-story based movie?
    How do you compare this with Goodfellas?

User score reflects fairer assessment than the big media & pro critics score, some of which gave inexplicably perfect 10. I read some of the critic reviews, I just don't see their points.

I myself found this movie predictable.
  49. Mar 15, 2014
    What the? Really? I'll make it short.. Overrated beyond belief.. The acting isn't all that and deservedly never won anything at the Oscars. I really don't know what kind of back room deal was going on with the Hollywood clique.. But this is in no way a good film. Waste of time.
  50. Mar 13, 2014
    Great acting but very poor story line, difficult to follow and left you feeling empty at the end. It got high critic reviews but honestly, I think the NY Post review was spot on.
  51. Mar 12, 2014
    Great Movie, amazing direction and production. Great performances, most notably from Jennifer Lawrence and Christian Bale. Sometimes it gets slow and boring but at last it leads to an incredible plot and an unexpected end. Highly recommended.
  52. Mar 11, 2014
    American Hustle is a very entertaining movie. It has the best ensemble one can have for a movie. Christian Bale gives a flawless performance. It is the best movie of David O. Russel.
  53. Mar 10, 2014
    Good actors, poor story, extremely boring movie. They could make the ending brilliant by saying something like "And then he found a five dollar bill!"
  54. Mar 7, 2014
    Going into this movie, I thought with David O. Russell at the helm and the cast he put in place that this was going to be one of the year's best. While a good movie and well acted, this movie had trouble focusing for me and seemed to employ a lot of improv that hurt the overall product.
  55. Mar 5, 2014
    A great cast and an interesting story that keeps you entertained through out. It's one of few films with a 2 hour + run time that I actually did not mind sitting through.
  56. Mar 4, 2014
    American Hustle has a slow, dragging style, which explains why I gave up the first time I watched it before it reached the half hour mark. It felt like the film was trying too hard to create a story, and all the characters felt archetype. But the movie does pick up and become somewhat interesting after that. Though the character motivations are never explored, we get to see the different sides of them which make them all human.

The plot is simple yet complex, but what it never is intriguing enough. Some con-men are coerced by the FBI into setting up members of the Congress and the Mafia. They must find a way to do the job without being targeted by them afterwards and yet not get incarcerated.

Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) is an ageing swindler who has a nice steady income through his various clandestine operations. Things get messy for him when he comes across Edith Greensly (Amy Adams), for he has a wife Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence) who can create a lot of trouble for him if she isn't kept happy. Richard (Bradley Cooper) is the agent who deals directly with him. He is clever and ambitious and selfish, but mostly is a liability who more often than not gets in their way and creates complications as they try to complete their job assigned to them by the agency. Carmine Polito (Jeremy Renner) is the mayor who is fooled into joining the team in helping the FBI bring down the politicians and the mobsters.

I felt like the nominations in the categories of acting were undeserved. On the contrary I'm of the opinion that Renner should have been recognized instead of the underwhelming performance given by Cooper. Sure Bale did a good enough job, and he felt like he worked for the role, with his hair and body fat. Adams, in addition to showing a lot of skin, showed another side of her which I believe I had not seen before. She certainly felt like a better actress.

The art department did a commendable job. The hairstyles, costumes, cars, and room interiors were convincing enough. What was lacking was a plot which would have matched the effort put into bringing the 70s era onto the screen. I was amused by some of the characterization, yet was waiting for over the top humour or insight into the business or a plot twist or something. Sadly there was little if not nothing that blew my mind. Other movies have done the job required of a period piece equally well and fallen to pieces without the support of a strong story but this film was spared that fate because of the names of the cast and director. Rush would have been a better consideration for the category of Best Picture. At least it succeeded in entertaining the hell out of me as well as showing the 1970s.

It wasn't especially a bad movie, just not something I would have liked nominated for the top prize. It was way over-hyped, and left a bad taste in my mouth when within ten minutes of starting copied Goodfellas in dual voice-over.
  57. Mar 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Didn't have much of a good time with this movie. Its story is not interesting at all. I'm only giving 7 to it because of the actors, music and some of the dialogs. The ending is good, but the characters and the development of the trama are kind of boring. Expand
  58. Mar 4, 2014
    Yet another crime movie based on real events like recent ‘Pain & Gain’. It was the star's collision, everyone competed with each others. Giants like Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner fought to show their masculine strength. In another stream Amy Adams and new sensation Jennifer Lawrence had war to rule feminine parts. Overall, it is the celebration time for movie buffs to see multi stars in one screen.

As usual Bale’s appearance did not surprise me. He’s one of the actors from Hollywood who do a variety of experimental roles in his movies especially in physical appearances. Bradley Cooper had a good time recently with many blockbusters, so in a movie to share screenspace with Bale will boost his professional growth in his career graph.

Amy Adams is a good actress, but she’s not attracted to me though she was great in this film. No doubt Jennifer Lawrence was thrown an incredible performance with her small role. Yet both are very enjoyable to watch, especially expected that particular cat fight moment.

Let me tell why you should not miss this movie. The cast was the great strength the movie had. Robert De Niro’s guest appearance made it more fuzz and the puzzling story created lots of guess games among viewers. I must say it was well scripted by the writers and crafted beautifully by the director of 'Three Kings'.
  59. Mar 3, 2014
    Jesus did someone actually compare this to Good Fellas now that's the best joke iv heard all year. Is this what is seen as a great movie, it reminds me of bad improve acting classes where actors we all have seen in a million other movies talking crap. Its too long as well. Avoid
  60. Mar 2, 2014
    I can't give an opinion on this movie without talking about David O. Russell's previous film first.

I didn't enjoy Silver Linings Playbook when i first saw it. I thought the characters were too crazy and the story was just over-the-top. As the months went by, i started realizing that, maybe, we all are really crazy; each in his/her own subtle way. David O. Russell just denotes this
    idea, without the subtle so as to make it clear to us. That's when i watched the movie again and really loved it. And then i watched American Hustle, and loved it as well.

The characters are really screwed up. Thanks to very stellar performances, especially by Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence, the characters really exemplify the craziness inherent in many people. Amy Adams is brilliant, while Bradley Cooper should have taken the craziness down a notch. The directing is superb, and so is the script. And it has one of the best soundtracks of the year.

I'm so glad to have seen this film. David O. Russell is one of my favorite director's right now.
  61. Mar 2, 2014
    from the guy who brought you silver lingings playbook which i love brings american hustle i did not that mush but it find it too much drama but i love david o rusell his ideas in movies are 99% useful and brilliant
  62. Mar 2, 2014
    The vast majority of critics and (thus?) moviegoers reacted differently, but I actually consider American Hustle to be an effective argument against improvisation in films. Because, whereas I’m a great fan of it when it’s executed amusingly by talented stand-up comedians, unscripted babble can thoroughly blacken a film’s quality – and that’s exactly what happened with this one. Granted, it does have good-looking costumes and set design as well as fine cinematography and editing, and if you find joy in the over the top of over the top portrayal of characters– well, go ahead, watch it. I just think that most of the people claiming to like the film are being overtly pretentious and following critics’ opinions, since American Hustle is a surprisingly boring, annoyingly ridiculous, and not anywhere close to funny film. Expand
  63. Feb 23, 2014
    One of the worst films I've seen in theaters. The characters were completely unlikeable, I wasn't sure if I should root for the cop or the crooks, the story was boring and I didn't see a point to Louie CK and Jennifer Lawrence even being there. It seemed like they were there just because they were big names and not because they fit the role.

If it wasn't for Bale and Amy Adams the movie
    would have been a complete wash. I almost left the theater twice during the movie and I only stayed to find out how it ended for Bale and Adams. Expand
  64. Feb 23, 2014
    After making great fighter and The Silver Linnings Playbook that helped in the total image transformation director, David O.Russel reaches the apex of his career doing his hilarious, daring, and ambitious film about the reinvention of the human being and the necessity of such a cheat to live with the minimum of dignity, and he tells it through fine performances ranging from soft-spoken characters we all know that one hour will explode, the ones who are always on ecxtase and his screen presence is striking, in a reverent, slow but very fun and compensatory what makes you think without guilt contrary to another strong oscar nominated 12 years a slave history. Expand
  65. Feb 22, 2014
    An impossibly well-performed, skillfully written, and nimbly shot comedic drama, "American Hustle" is yet another quirky success for David O. Russell.
  66. Feb 22, 2014
    David O. Russell makes a great fun loving movie with characters that drive the story lin with their acting as well as a charming and sometimes humoring script that makes you leave the theatre with a smile on your face. It is a must see.
  67. Feb 22, 2014
    Not perfect, but very worthy. Excellent performances. Amy Adams was pretty darn hot. A very enjoyable, entertaining movie. Yes, there were a few moments where you expended a tad too much energy suspending disbelief, but it is taken in stride and actually adds to the experience. Did I say that Amy Adams was really darn hot?
  68. Feb 21, 2014
    A pretty good movie that is a fun ride. The best part of the film is easily the acting by the amazing cast. After seeing it though I would have chosen a couple other movies for the best picture nomination well over this one. I also really think that if the roles were in lesser actors hands I would like the movie a lot less, the cast are a very big part of what made it enjoyable to watch for me.
  69. Feb 21, 2014
    2 words: JENNIFER LAWRENCE. Honestly, when it comes to a David O. Russell universal acclaimed movie, I couldn't think of anyone besides Jennifer Lawrence. For me, she was definitely the scene stealer in that movie. However, she's not the only one who did an exceptional acting. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper really committed to their roles as Irving Rosenfeld and Richie DiMaso, respectively, and delivered an award-worthy performance. I don't know why Amy Adams received such good praises for her role as Sydney Prosser, because, in my opinion, she only gave 75% of her acting ability. Such a shame though. Expand
  70. Feb 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most overrated films of the year. Two low-rent con artists are convinced to run a sting on New Jersey politicians by a misguided FBI man. Most of the characters are exaggerated to the point of caricature, and the most sympathetic person in the film is a politician caught in their net. It's somewhat unbelievable that anybody could be caught in their scam (i.e. the Latino posing as an Arab). The music and clothes of the 1970's are fun, and I might have found the film amusing if my expectations had not been heightened by all the critics' praise. Expand
  71. Feb 19, 2014
    I agree, it can sound like any mafia movie made​​, but the subtle and solid direction from David can make Hustle, a film with personality, people can say O. Russell is not a good director, but as the movie goes, you forget that someone is driving everything, and that's one of the greatest assets for a director. There are people there, they are affected, and you feel it, not to mention the fact that it is incredibly fun. Expand
  72. Feb 17, 2014
    I absolutely love this movie. From start to finish, I could not take my eyes off the screen. The soundtrack is awesome and the characters are believable and likable. Just a great, fun movie to watch. I am adding this one to my personal collection.
  73. Feb 16, 2014
    The very messy plot should be about a convoluted scam played by a couple of swindlers, “forced” to work for the FBI. The swindlers happen to be Irving (Bale) and Sydney (Adams), also involved in a torrid extramarital affair. Irving is married to Rosalyn (Lawrence) a single mum, whose son he adopted. Like most married men, he stalling divorce because the “child would suffer”.

Irving and
    Sydney get busted by Richie (Cooper) an ambitious FBI agent who forces them to get bigger fish into the agency net. Or, at least this should be the plot, because it gets derailed in all directions, none of which even remotely interesting.

It feels like the whole movie is a scam played on the audience, starting with Lawrence. I understand that she is the present ”Hollywood-IT-hot” girl, but her part is bloated out of proportion, when her character was at best a marginal one.

She is constantly on screen, shouting all her lines and going on endlessly about her relationship with Irving. Who cares? I wanted to see a movie about a hustle, not a dysfunctional couple in action, especially when their dysfunctions are not the core of the plot. We also get plenty of the Sydney-Richie relationship (and again, who cares?)

Everybody is exceedingly verbose, and situations that would require at most 30 seconds of screen time drag on for several minutes. Even considered as a “character study”, the movie still does not work.

Besides, the “moral” of the story is a murky one and an additional joke played on the audience: whoever makes more money (regardless of their methods) is smarter than anybody holding an honest job.
    Corrupted politicians are portrayed as minor offenders, dealing dirty deeds for the good of the community. Richie is played as a fool, while mediocre Irving and Sydney are glorified as first-class tricksters. Even dumb and insufferable Rosalyn gets a happy ending of her own

The best thing about American Hustle is the 70’s atmosphere, with some amazingly tacky clothes and a good soundtrack, but it is definitely not enough to save the movie. Unbelievable to think this mess got 10 Oscars nominations….
  74. Feb 11, 2014
    David. O Russell thinks he is a better director than he really is, and this movie is the biggest evidence of this. The only notable is Amy Adam's performance, but American Hustle is in my opinion a boring, superficial and totally overrated film.
  75. Feb 10, 2014
    "American Hustle" offers us mixed sensations. I can't stop to think how would be this film if Scorsese had directed it. I think David O. Russell is overrated. Although cast ensemble is amazing. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence are wonderful.
  76. Feb 10, 2014
    We went to see this movie because the hype was so big but I was very disappointed. While the acting was very good, especially Jennifer Lawrence, I found the plot left me cold ... and confused. I really couldn't figure out what it was all about or why. Why was this an interesting subject for a movie? The idea of the con has been pretty solid movie material in the past but this con-man story felt like it couldn't figure out what to focus on: love, friendship, making money, trying to survive, what? Was it about the art of the con, con men being in turn conned, or con men conning those who thought they were conning the con fen? It felt unfocused. I was not that impressed, and frankly Christian Bale's comb-over was not sexy at all, so I spent a lot of time thinking "yuck". And finally, the 70s fashions have a lot to answer for - the decade that fashion forgot. Expand
  77. Feb 9, 2014
    The movie was great but not outstanding. It is definitely not academy award winning picture of the year, or even nomination level. Seeing it once was enough.
  78. Feb 8, 2014
    I can't help but see this as the most overrated film of 2013. The acting, cinematography, and soundtrack is good...but the script is not even half as clever as it thinks it is, the plot is so scattered it feels like a schizophrenic leprechaun on LSD wrote it, and director David O. Russel just seems so lost in his own recent success that he feels like he can push all of the boundaries he wants and get applauded for it. Sadly that last part seems basically true. I'm all for movies that break traditional molds and delve deep into the bizarre and contradictory rawness of human thoughts and emotions, but this just made me feel sick and confused. There is no structure at all, while this is clearly intentional, it doesn't work for me. Plus the movie isn't funny enough to be a comedy, it isn't engaging enough to be a romance, and it isn't interesting enough to be a drama, leaving it stuck in some sort of genre-limbo. That isn't even touching on the extreme overuse of narration to explain the characters feelings, the fact that the actual problem of the movie is completely ambiguous until the end of the second act, and the absence any real protagonist to care about or find fascinating. Expand
  79. Feb 8, 2014
    It's truly a rare occasion to have such prominent cast in one movie, each capable of a leading role on their own, the amalgamation of these talents, coupled with extraordinary directing, make American Hustle a deceptively dark yet charming comedy. In a commentary on how far people are willing to use others for own selfish purpose, these illustrious characters seduce, lie and cheat in an orgy of deceit. It's ludicrous, self-deprecating while still able to be funnily relatable and thoroughly enjoyable.

American Hustle is a story of two con artists, Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and Sydney Prosse (Amy Adams), who make a living by setting up small fraud businesses. Unfortunately for them, they are caught red-handed by an FBI agent Richard DiMaso (Bradley Cooper). Now faced with heavy charges, both have no choice but to aid the agent in capturing more high profile targets. The operation soon becomes out of control as they try to manipulate increasing amount of victims and also outmaneuver each other, while dangerous and powerful men caught whiff of the sting operation.

Every time a scene plays out, the actors passionately perform at excellent caliber. Christian Bale transforms himself into almost a completely different person. He looks plumper, wears hair piece and struts with somewhat slouched posture, it's realistically impressive. He shows complacent cautious behavior to mask his sly ambitious side. I admittedly didn't recognize him at some points as he almost merges in the character. Bradley Cooper plays the suave agent, who is Irving's counterpart, brimming with confident and unbridled ambition. The way he portrays his character is explosively brazen, almost obsessively erratic in his endeavor.

Amy Adams as the role of sensual mistress, trademarked by how unwilling she is on wearing bra, has another persona as Edith, the supposed British lady. She shifts between the roles so convincingly, weaving layers of lies with great British accent; she may very well elude the audience. Jennifer Lawrence plays Irving's overly defensive, disturbed and near **** insane wife. She seems so broken with habitual reliance on dubious men, both using and being used by them. There is one scene where Adams and Lawrence loath each other with such malicious intensity, it's almost creepy to witness.

I like the addition of Louis C.K. as the reluctant cop and DiMaso's supervisor; he brings organic humor to the table, mostly on his own character’s expense. Jeremey Renner rocks a flamboyant haircut as the seemingly philanthropic mayor Carmine Polito. Sometimes Renner looks genuinely motivated to do good for his city, also rather too innocent to mingle with the rest of suspicious characters. Robert DeNiro, however, portrays an old mob boss, calculatingly dangerous in short time he's on-screen.

Every minute of the movie practically boasts high level of talent, they are simply captivating, even as they desperately claw their ways by forging fictional version of themselves. Director David O. Russell succeeds in presenting these talents in near over-the-top scenes, which are fairly ridiculous but will make audience can't help but feeling there's a glitter of glamor on them. The movie is clever of its use of twist, although characters' personal struggles are still the essence.

There lie few movies that can rival American Hustle in the quantity and quality of its actors. It weaves a fantastic gripping tale of fraudulence with colorful characters, dancing with the tune of greed.
  80. Feb 7, 2014
    El director David O. Russell está en su estado más puro, primero The Fighter, luego Silver Linings Playbook, ahora es el turno de premiar a American Hustle, por ser valiente y original. La película ofrece una trama completamente original e interesante, y de momentos, muy entretenida diversión con tintes de comedia. La puesta en época es excelente, el vestuario es magistral y merece un Oscar, pero lo mejor de esta película fueron las actuaciones, todas y cada una es perfecta (destaco más sobre Christian Bale y Jennifer Lawrence). Si disfrutas del buen cine o el cine ganador, debes ir corriendo a ver esta película, no los decepcionará. Expand
  81. Feb 6, 2014
    This is truly a great film. David O. Russel takes a film that easily could have gone into pulp, era film, but his direction and screenplay (with Eric Singer) manages to make a film that is very entertaining, and great. Bradley Cooper is amazing, as is Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, and Jeremy Renner turns in one of his most memorable performances since "the Town." Whilst I feel that this film is not as good as Silver Linings Playbook, it is still a great film, and David O. Russel goes 3 for 3, with 3 of the best films in recent years under his direction. I can't wait for his next film. Expand
  82. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. David O. Russel weighs in once more with a piece built entirely for actors, but one that almost demonizes the concept of writers. The characters actions are no longer built in a world of design or any possible association with reality there sole goal is to create situations that make no sense but allow said actors to create star moments as it were, such as Richie's assault on his superior and his weird scream when Sydney drops her accent. Thus leaving us with a piece that is as shiny and glossy as a con-man's veneer but with as little substance and result as that very same individual.
    The Poe Scale
    Acting: 2/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 2/2
    Effects and Design 1.5/2
    Writing: 0.5/2
  83. Feb 4, 2014
    Despite its head-straching moments in this otherwise interesting plot, American Hustle is nostalgia with its brillant acting from the ensemble cast...
  84. Feb 3, 2014
    This movie is great, the acting is great, the writing is great, it is near perfect, but why isn't perfect, well the story is kind of just there, and the movie is just a slide show for the cast, and director David O'Russell's talents, but it is a really good one.
  85. Feb 2, 2014
    American Hustle is a somewhat uneven movie with disappointing and entertaining parts. The movie sagged in the middle with a tangled plot. Performances were generally good, although some seemed like a rehash from last year's Silver Linings Playbook. Overall, American Hustle is not a particularly memorable movie.
  86. Feb 2, 2014
    Having now seen this film I can certainly say this is very overrated. Know that it won a Golden Globe and has many BAFTA and Oscar nominations is surprising. It is unnecessarily long, not as interesting as it tries to be, more stylish than it needs to be, has one character which is inconsistent and has a underwhelming ending. It reminds me that Citizen Kane never won best picture but Driving Miss Daisy did; award ceremonies don't reward great films but rather popular and newly released films. We need to treat these ceremonies as entertainment and not as a measure of cinema hallmarks.

Make no mistake this is a good movie. Ignore the press and hype so you can realise this is just a decent con artist film, one that spends more time giving it's 4 cast members time to shine and entertaining us, than having a compelling and memorable story.
  87. Feb 1, 2014
    A colorful wrap, great music, original narrative ... It is not enough to save us from "the nothingness" that this film develops. And besides, it's unforgivable to make such an almost-boring film with such condiments.

This and Gravity favorites for the Oscars. No surprises: Vacuity, nothingness, empty space.
  88. Feb 1, 2014
    This movie overwhelms with great roles being performed fantastically. Good plot. It's just that the first half of the movie is so slow paced that it almost bored me to death. And then the second half is a nice comeback. Why couldn't it have been a bit more stable? In the end I had fun but I was fearing for the worst when it was half time...
    Please people, this is not a 10 movie...
    however, the actors were great! Expand
  89. Jan 30, 2014
    I went into this movie with a 50/50 perception. After watching this, I came to love it. The acting was very strong; especially Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams. But I did feel Like I wanted more of the story than was given.
  90. Jan 30, 2014
    Yeah, this film really derives most of its interest from exposing people to the fashions and foolishness of the seventies and the distorted appearance of Christian Bale. It's mostly made up of insipid characters in a rather far-fetched love triangle and the con plays a secondary role. If it had concentrated more on that, it could have some intrigue. As a comedic Seventies' romp, it would have possibilities. To take a fine cast, dress them up stupidly and have them dance around in the middle of these two possibilities ends up being a trifle, nothing more. Expand
  91. Jan 29, 2014
    Buyer beware. This is more of a rom com than a hustle flick.

Not what it says on the tin, and for that I feel utterly scammed. If Romance isn't your thing, don't touch this with a 6 foot pole.

A few points for the 70s costumes, Christian's Bale unrecognizable character, and the thrashy wife, superbly played by Jennifer Lawrence.
  92. Jan 29, 2014
    This was one of those films where the parts were greater than the sum of the parts. Mathematics may not be my strong suit, so let me explain. There were some excellent performances, Jennifer Lawrence in particular I thought really warmed up as the film went on, but in the end it didn’t work for me. The weakness lay in the character of the New Jersey mayor ... not Renner's acting, just the way it was conceived. While the rest of the baddies were stereotypes, and the good guys comic, here we had someone with a bit of complexity, who became the real victim. Overall the film just seemed a bit too far-fetched, and didn't quite hit the mark. But it has 10 Oscar nominations … I must be wrong! Expand
  93. Jan 28, 2014
    [8.8] This film might prove a bit tedious or underwhelming to those who can't appreciate the nostalgia, but even beyond its impeccable depiction of the late 70's, it's a smart, funny con story, with a solidly entertaining plot, and tremendous characters. Jennifer Lawrence also has a career best performance, and Christian Bale is almost unidentifiable. Louis C.K. also does incredibly well in a dramatic role, and even Amy Adams delivers an unusually great performance (not to say she isn't good in other roles). Despite its few flaws and slight tedium, it's all around a pretty great movie. Expand
  94. Jan 27, 2014
    Again, it's David O'Russel that saves this clumsy fairy tale. The cast was OK although i find Bradley Cooper and Jenifer Lawrence very annoying and not interesting in general. I even felt real chemistry between Bale and Adams (and Adams was sooooo beautiful in this film).
  95. Jan 27, 2014
    Well i love the cast and have to admit i'm a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence, but can't give this a high score. On the pros; it had an excellent sounds track (especially for baby boomers) and yes much of the cast blended together very well. But on the negative side, i just felt the plot line was a bit tedious and the movie overall felt like it was about 30 min too long.
  96. Jan 26, 2014
    This movie was a mess. It tried to set up a plot that never ended up happening. The pacing was very slow which would be fine if there was any reward for the two hours of pointlessness required to endure.It wasn't even particularly stylish. On top of that Jennifer Lawrence's accent was absolutely brutal and most of the time non-existent. Metacritic is usually fairly accurate with their scores but this one is miles off. Expand
  97. Jan 26, 2014
    Unfortunately, I was so excited to see the new movie of David O.Russel, but I did not enjoyed it at all! I did not like the story and the acting(only Amy Adams worth it and always Christian Bale). Jeniffer Lawrence was pretty good, but is that all she can act? A crazy, depressed woman? I think not. Bradly's Cooper was really extravagance, almost annoying. Anyway, i got bored really soon. The directing and the mood/atmosphere of the 70s was amazing,but that was all. There was not any deeper point in this film. O. Russel is a very talented director, but i think he made a mistake! Next time! Definitely not a movie for an Oscar, maybe in Costume Design! Expand
  98. Cik
    Jan 26, 2014
    Linear, predictable and mundane move. Maybe, maybe a decent rental, but not a rewarding movie at all, and certainly any comparisons to Pulp Fiction are grossly exaggerated.
  99. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw American Hustle after reading the positive reviews of the Media after all the nominations received for the Oscar Awards but I was very disappointed for the following reasons:
    - the movie tries unsuccessfully to move between comedy and a serious story
    - they said that it was based on a true story Arabscam (or s similar name) but most of the facts seem totally unrealistic and difficult to happen, such as advancing money to receive a loan from UK in the '70 ties or Arabs investing in US in gambling in the same historical period
    - in the movie there are many inconsistencies. For example De Niro discovers that the Arab doesn't understand the arab language and there is no consequence?
    If it is based on a true story I would like to know exactly what happened to see if the erratic behavior of many characters really took place.
    The acting is OK, except for the poor appearence of De Niro but this doesn't seem enough to me to rehabilitate the story and the movie overall
    Roberto Bellei
    Rome Italy
  100. Jan 26, 2014
    Fun to watch with a great director David O. Russell, phenomenal cast Jennifer Lawrence, Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Louis C.K. and Jeremy Renner, very successful production design, hair styles and costumes.Script may be a little bit weak but they did a great job, especially Jennifer Lawrence as Irving's manic but sexy wife Rosalyn.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2013
    Like everyone else in Russell's cast, Lawrence appears to be having a blast in the role. It's downright contagious.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 21, 2013
    A work of tremendous confidence and dazzling showmanship that may just be a delirious movie-as-drug-high or may, if you choose to read it this way, contain a level of commentary about the nature of America and the illusioneering of Hollywood.
    The movie is a slot machine that never stops spitting quarters.