7.5

1. Mar 5, 2014
    A great cast and an interesting story that keeps you entertained through out. It's one of few films with a 2 hour + run time that I actually did not mind sitting through.
  2. Jan 5, 2014
    American Hustle has a continuous flow of energy that keeps you captivated and wanting more. All the performances are good, especially Ms. Lawrence's; her character has such self-pride and a way of putting the blame on everyone else that she becomes the comic relief to almost every scene she's in.
  3. Sep 2, 2014
    Another incredible ensemble from David O. Russell. He's once again taken a dark theme and somehow made it comedic. I applaud David O. Russell and his wonderful cast of bandits. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence once again prove their worthiness.
  4. Dec 21, 2013
    It's the late 70s: every man in this movie has ridiculous hair, while the women are glamorous and hot. A con man (Christian Bale) teams with his soul mate (Amy Adams) and they end up forced into a scam with a hothead FBI agent (Bradley Cooper). The transactions are complicated by a mouthy wife (Jennifer Lawrence) and an earnest politician (Jeremy Renner). Despite how complicated it sounds,It's the late 70s: every man in this movie has ridiculous hair, while the women are glamorous and hot. A con man (Christian Bale) teams with his soul mate (Amy Adams) and they end up forced into a scam with a hothead FBI agent (Bradley Cooper). The transactions are complicated by a mouthy wife (Jennifer Lawrence) and an earnest politician (Jeremy Renner). Despite how complicated it sounds, this film is really about the characters and the brilliant actors who made the bold choices. Every actor has created memorable, enjoyable individuals and their performances are potent (Lawrence is once again a revelation). Co-writer/director David O. Russell has crafted a richly observed, compellingly complex and sometimes funny vehicle for them to hustle. Expand
  5. Dec 13, 2013
    “American Hustle” may have an awkward start, especially as it takes a moment to get used to Russell’s style and tone, but once “Hustle” finds its footing it really takes off and is one of the most intelligent and enjoyable films of the year.
  6. Dec 30, 2013
    American Hustle has an energy that makes the movie come alive and injects the story with comedy, tension, surprise and sympathy for the characters. The entire cast gives outstanding performances in David O. Russell's best film.
  7. Feb 22, 2014
    An impossibly well-performed, skillfully written, and nimbly shot comedic drama, "American Hustle" is yet another quirky success for David O. Russell.
  8. Jan 7, 2014
    Great acting, great cinematography, the story however feels a little empty in the end. So much potential but the climax didn't justify the build up. It all gets wrapped up a bit too quickly after 2 hours of careful build up. Decent but over rated.
  9. Dec 30, 2013
    David O. Russell continues his fantastic film making. Though not as good as Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle works mainly because of top notch acting. A
  10. Jan 5, 2014
    David O' Russell has another winner. A great movie with great hair. With a stellar cast it is easy to enjoy and watch these pros do what they do best. None of the actors really get a standout moment though, except for Jennifer Lawrence. The story moves at a slow pace, but the movie makes up for it with a perfect soundtrack that breathes the very essence of the 70's.
  11. Jan 9, 2014
    Awesome film. David O. Russell kills it as director and Bale, Adams, Cooper, Lawrence, Renner, Louis CK, De Niro, etc, kill it in this one. The characterization of everyone is fantastic and it's awesome that we got to see so many back stories of different characters, which helped you to understand why they did the things they did. Honestly, this is my favorite film of 2013 that I've seen thus far.
  12. Mar 2, 2014
    from the guy who brought you silver lingings playbook which i love brings american hustle i did not that mush but it find it too much drama but i love david o rusell his ideas in movies are 99% useful and brilliant
  13. Mar 30, 2014
    AMERICAN HUSTLE has an impeachable cast, a 70s zeitgeist ambience (sterling soundtrack, hairstyling and wardrobe selections), a not-so-bulletproof script, but the film is nonetheless a hail of David O’Russell’s consistency in his endeavour of characters-centred dramedy, he relentlessly supplies improvisations for his actors to illicit their spontaneous interactions with maximum dynamism,AMERICAN HUSTLE has an impeachable cast, a 70s zeitgeist ambience (sterling soundtrack, hairstyling and wardrobe selections), a not-so-bulletproof script, but the film is nonetheless a hail of David O’Russell’s consistency in his endeavour of characters-centred dramedy, he relentlessly supplies improvisations for his actors to illicit their spontaneous interactions with maximum dynamism, meanwhile his slick camera mobility complements the narrative steadily with intentional oomph to woo the audience, a strategy functions unexpectedly well after the one-two punch THE FIGHTER (2010, 8/10) and SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (2012, 7/10), now AMERICAN HUSTLE repeats the mojo, altogether ricochet him to the rarefied echelon of a three-times BEST DIRECTOR nominees, and an auteur status rosily awaits.

read the rest of my review at my blog "cinema omnivore", google it.
  14. Jan 7, 2014
    Though the acting is strong and eclectic to where it adds rather sophisticated comedy, the style and feel of the movie is strikingly similar to 'Goodfellas', a classic of cinema. 'American Hustle' is an entertaining and well written film that, unfortunately, takes too many essences of past films, thought I won't go into the list. I don't see Jennifer Lawrence as anything in here. BradleyThough the acting is strong and eclectic to where it adds rather sophisticated comedy, the style and feel of the movie is strikingly similar to 'Goodfellas', a classic of cinema. 'American Hustle' is an entertaining and well written film that, unfortunately, takes too many essences of past films, thought I won't go into the list. I don't see Jennifer Lawrence as anything in here. Bradley Copper was annoying. Christian Bale and Amy Adams were the standalone characters in this film, Bale especially with his dedication to the role. David O. Russell's previous two films were his most talented, not 'American Hustle'. Expand
  15. Jan 5, 2014
    Anticipating American Hustle I was convinced that it would be one of my top films of the year. After all it has a great cast, a talented director and a trailer that makes it look exciting and complex. Unfortunately, its complexity is a major flaw. The story is so convoluted that maximum attention is demanded. However, excessive lengh and a tendancy towards the pedantic encourages theAnticipating American Hustle I was convinced that it would be one of my top films of the year. After all it has a great cast, a talented director and a trailer that makes it look exciting and complex. Unfortunately, its complexity is a major flaw. The story is so convoluted that maximum attention is demanded. However, excessive lengh and a tendancy towards the pedantic encourages the attention to wander. The cast give it their all. Christian Bale continues to create zany out there characters; Jennifer Lawrence is fun, but obvious; Bradley Cooper is way over the top, and Jeremy Renner flies under the radar.The real news here is Amy Adams who all but steals the film. Excitingly cast against her usual 'good girl' type, she gives a power house performance that is her best to date. She and Bale are the film's strongest asset and it benefits from their chemistry together. Production values are spot on in depicting the 70's fashion, with hair and costumes creating a great diversion. It also contains a wonderful pop soundtrack of the era which encourages one to reminisce. In the final analysis American Hustle, sadly, lacks something. This leaves one feeling that the whole does not add up to the sum of its,quite excellent, parts. Expand
  16. May 3, 2014
    Once again the movie critics prove how little they know about what goes into making a great movie. Yes, the movie had incredible acting and the setting was founded upon detail after detail. However, does entertainment value mean nothing? I'm sorry but I was to enjoy my moviegoing experience, not be bored out of my mind while I acknowledge that Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress.Once again the movie critics prove how little they know about what goes into making a great movie. Yes, the movie had incredible acting and the setting was founded upon detail after detail. However, does entertainment value mean nothing? I'm sorry but I was to enjoy my moviegoing experience, not be bored out of my mind while I acknowledge that Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress. Honestly, the only things redeemable about this movie were Lawrence and Bradley Cooper's insane yet fantastic performances and Amy Adams relentless cleavage and side-boob. None of the characters are likable in any way and the plot drags and is annoying. The acting and the well detailed setting are worthwhile but the rest of the film is not. Expand
  17. Mar 2, 2014
    The vast majority of critics and (thus?) moviegoers reacted differently, but I actually consider American Hustle to be an effective argument against improvisation in films. Because, whereas I’m a great fan of it when it’s executed amusingly by talented stand-up comedians, unscripted babble can thoroughly blacken a film’s quality – and that’s exactly what happened with this one. Granted, itThe vast majority of critics and (thus?) moviegoers reacted differently, but I actually consider American Hustle to be an effective argument against improvisation in films. Because, whereas I’m a great fan of it when it’s executed amusingly by talented stand-up comedians, unscripted babble can thoroughly blacken a film’s quality – and that’s exactly what happened with this one. Granted, it does have good-looking costumes and set design as well as fine cinematography and editing, and if you find joy in the over the top of over the top portrayal of characters– well, go ahead, watch it. I just think that most of the people claiming to like the film are being overtly pretentious and following critics’ opinions, since American Hustle is a surprisingly boring, annoyingly ridiculous, and not anywhere close to funny film. Expand
  18. Dec 29, 2013
    I'm surprised at all the love given to this film. The acting? Superb throughout. The story, however, was a little boring at times, and there really is no character you can root for. Also, many critics are saying it is a comedy, and I chuckled a few times but neither I or the packed theater I saw it with laughed all that much. In the end, the great acting throughout made it a passableI'm surprised at all the love given to this film. The acting? Superb throughout. The story, however, was a little boring at times, and there really is no character you can root for. Also, many critics are saying it is a comedy, and I chuckled a few times but neither I or the packed theater I saw it with laughed all that much. In the end, the great acting throughout made it a passable film, but it does not have the repeatability factor for me. I have no desire to see it again. As a footnote, Jennifer Lawrence may be the best actress in Hollywood. The movie came to life every time she was on the screen. Expand
  19. Dec 20, 2013
    There are so many funny movies this year that are getting so much praise this award season, and "American Hustle" is one of them. It's a fun, funny and entertaining good time. It's filled with crap loads of great performances (which you come to expect from a David O. Russell film), an interesting enough story and great humor. While at times it may feel like its way more ridiculous than itThere are so many funny movies this year that are getting so much praise this award season, and "American Hustle" is one of them. It's a fun, funny and entertaining good time. It's filled with crap loads of great performances (which you come to expect from a David O. Russell film), an interesting enough story and great humor. While at times it may feel like its way more ridiculous than it already feels, it's still a great time and one that shouldn't be missed. I give it an A-! Expand
  20. Dec 20, 2013
    After all the 4 star reviews, critic’s raves, plus the 7 Golden Globe nominations, including Best picture, for “American Hustle” this will definitely be a minority review.

Along with cementing her versatility as an actress, Jenifer Lawrence is the main, if only a few, reasons to see this film. Her role as Rosalyn Rosenfeld is as far from her performances as Ree Dolly in “Winter’s Bone”, Katniss Everdeen in “The Hunger Games” series or her Oscar winning Tiffany Maxwell in “Silver Linings Playbook”. Here she recalls the ditzy, dumb blonds through all of Hollywood film history and would be right at home in a 1930s, 1940s, screwball comedy. She is the shining light in “American Hustle”.

The soundtrack offers a variety of music from Duke Ellington’s “Jeep Blues” to Amy Adams and Christian Bale dancing to “I’ve Got Your Number” and then her and Bradley Cooper dancing in a disco to, who else?, the Bee Gees and Jennifer Lawrence lip synching to “Live and Let Die” all definitely a plus for the movie.

One surprise, to me, was the role played by Patsy Levine and I will leave it at that.

Bradley Cooper, as an FBI man setting up a sting using con artists Adams and Bale, is, as Bale is, in love with Adams and with her low cut down to there dresses that is understandable, brings a lot of his charm to his role. The cast as a whole do the best they can though many times Christian Bale mumbles, like Marlon Brando did at his worst, making his speech indecipherable.

The 1970s and New York at the time is duplicated by the production crew and the hair styles are standouts, especially for Copper and Bale in two scenes.

While most critics praised the direction by David O. Russell, and the screenplay by Eric Warren Singer along with Russell, I just didn’t get into the film or characters and looked forward to every appearance by Lawrence.
  21. Jan 12, 2014
    Good story and plot, with a fairly unpredictable ending unless you know a great deal about the ABSCAM senario. Bale was very good with his role and even Cooper was good as he finally got out of his type-casting roles and into something that resembles acting. As a b0onus, since the flick is based in the 70s the sound track is well done as well.
  22. Nov 10, 2014
    American Hustle is energetic, funny and perfectly cast. It features smart twists & turns from a very smart script and is directed stylishly by David O. Russell.
  23. Mar 4, 2014
    Yet another crime movie based on real events like recent ‘Pain & Gain’. It was the star's collision, everyone competed with each others. Giants like Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner fought to show their masculine strength. In another stream Amy Adams and new sensation Jennifer Lawrence had war to rule feminine parts. Overall, it is the celebration time for movie buffs toYet another crime movie based on real events like recent ‘Pain & Gain’. It was the star's collision, everyone competed with each others. Giants like Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner fought to show their masculine strength. In another stream Amy Adams and new sensation Jennifer Lawrence had war to rule feminine parts. Overall, it is the celebration time for movie buffs to see multi stars in one screen.

As usual Bale’s appearance did not surprise me. He’s one of the actors from Hollywood who do a variety of experimental roles in his movies especially in physical appearances. Bradley Cooper had a good time recently with many blockbusters, so in a movie to share screenspace with Bale will boost his professional growth in his career graph.

Amy Adams is a good actress, but she’s not attracted to me though she was great in this film. No doubt Jennifer Lawrence was thrown an incredible performance with her small role. Yet both are very enjoyable to watch, especially expected that particular cat fight moment.

Let me tell why you should not miss this movie. The cast was the great strength the movie had. Robert De Niro’s guest appearance made it more fuzz and the puzzling story created lots of guess games among viewers. I must say it was well scripted by the writers and crafted beautifully by the director of 'Three Kings'.
  24. Apr 12, 2014
    American Hustle tells the story of con man Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and partner Sydney Prosser (Adams) as they are forced to use their tricks in order to help ambitious FBI agent Richie DiMaso (Cooper).

Featuring a fantastic cast and a darkly humorous script this is certainly one of the best movies of 2013, even if it doesn’t quite deliver fully on it initial set up.
  25. May 25, 2014
    From David O. Russell the director of The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook brings us a "some what true stroy" of A FBI operation that took place in the late 1970's to early 80s. Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Adams) are two con artist that end up being forced to work for the FBI (Cooper) to help them set up a operation to take down all the corrupt politicians and mayor ofFrom David O. Russell the director of The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook brings us a "some what true stroy" of A FBI operation that took place in the late 1970's to early 80s. Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Adams) are two con artist that end up being forced to work for the FBI (Cooper) to help them set up a operation to take down all the corrupt politicians and mayor of New Jersey. The cast is amazing of course with all these stars it would be hard for a movie not be great. The Dialog was fantastic it felt real and that's when you know there is good chemistry between all the actors.

Overall though the movie was too bloated for me it felt like the whole time it was one step forward two steps back. A lot of scenes that you can tell have nothing to do with the story other then just to have more character drama. The ending was great though maybe if the movie was about 10-15 minutes shorter then it could have been something great. I give it a 7.3 I don't see how the film is being loved so much people need to get past the eye candy look through all the BS filler and see what the movie really is.
  26. Lyn
    Jan 2, 2014
    This story was a lot of fun, the acting excellent and the soundtrack a baby boomer's dream. Have to say I think Jennifer Lawrence's status as entertainment media "it girl" led to her (absolutely fine) performance being overrated somewhat. But Christian Bale and Amy Adams are spectacular.
  27. Mar 4, 2014
    American Hustle has a slow, dragging style, which explains why I gave up the first time I watched it before it reached the half hour mark. It felt like the film was trying too hard to create a story, and all the characters felt archetype. But the movie does pick up and become somewhat interesting after that. Though the character motivations are never explored, we get to see the differentAmerican Hustle has a slow, dragging style, which explains why I gave up the first time I watched it before it reached the half hour mark. It felt like the film was trying too hard to create a story, and all the characters felt archetype. But the movie does pick up and become somewhat interesting after that. Though the character motivations are never explored, we get to see the different sides of them which make them all human.

The plot is simple yet complex, but what it never is intriguing enough. Some con-men are coerced by the FBI into setting up members of the Congress and the Mafia. They must find a way to do the job without being targeted by them afterwards and yet not get incarcerated.

Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) is an ageing swindler who has a nice steady income through his various clandestine operations. Things get messy for him when he comes across Edith Greensly (Amy Adams), for he has a wife Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence) who can create a lot of trouble for him if she isn't kept happy. Richard (Bradley Cooper) is the agent who deals directly with him. He is clever and ambitious and selfish, but mostly is a liability who more often than not gets in their way and creates complications as they try to complete their job assigned to them by the agency. Carmine Polito (Jeremy Renner) is the mayor who is fooled into joining the team in helping the FBI bring down the politicians and the mobsters.

I felt like the nominations in the categories of acting were undeserved. On the contrary I'm of the opinion that Renner should have been recognized instead of the underwhelming performance given by Cooper. Sure Bale did a good enough job, and he felt like he worked for the role, with his hair and body fat. Adams, in addition to showing a lot of skin, showed another side of her which I believe I had not seen before. She certainly felt like a better actress.

The art department did a commendable job. The hairstyles, costumes, cars, and room interiors were convincing enough. What was lacking was a plot which would have matched the effort put into bringing the 70s era onto the screen. I was amused by some of the characterization, yet was waiting for over the top humour or insight into the business or a plot twist or something. Sadly there was little if not nothing that blew my mind. Other movies have done the job required of a period piece equally well and fallen to pieces without the support of a strong story but this film was spared that fate because of the names of the cast and director. Rush would have been a better consideration for the category of Best Picture. At least it succeeded in entertaining the hell out of me as well as showing the 1970s.

It wasn't especially a bad movie, just not something I would have liked nominated for the top prize. It was way over-hyped, and left a bad taste in my mouth when within ten minutes of starting copied Goodfellas in dual voice-over.
  28. Mar 22, 2014
    American Hustle is a vigorously accomplished, and impressively stylized film. It's funny, it's full of twists, and it's undeniably alive. David O. Russell has absolutely perfected his directing style, and has cemented a spot among the top talents in the business. The screenplay is just incredibly well written. The actors are all either at the top of, or over the top of their game.American Hustle is a vigorously accomplished, and impressively stylized film. It's funny, it's full of twists, and it's undeniably alive. David O. Russell has absolutely perfected his directing style, and has cemented a spot among the top talents in the business. The screenplay is just incredibly well written. The actors are all either at the top of, or over the top of their game. Nearly every performance is shockingly good, even by the standards of this ensemble. The one I was most impressed with had to be Bale. His character was so far removed from his usual roles that at times I just had to laugh in astonished disbelief for how strange it was to see him like this. If I have any complaints about the movie they are few and far between. In the first act some lines are hard to hear, and some scenes can get pretty skanky. Other than that, it's great. In 2013, which was one of the best film years ever, American Hustle just might have been the best movie of the year. Expand
  29. Feb 8, 2014
    It's truly a rare occasion to have such prominent cast in one movie, each capable of a leading role on their own, the amalgamation of these talents, coupled with extraordinary directing, make American Hustle a deceptively dark yet charming comedy. In a commentary on how far people are willing to use others for own selfish purpose, these illustrious characters seduce, lie and cheat in anIt's truly a rare occasion to have such prominent cast in one movie, each capable of a leading role on their own, the amalgamation of these talents, coupled with extraordinary directing, make American Hustle a deceptively dark yet charming comedy. In a commentary on how far people are willing to use others for own selfish purpose, these illustrious characters seduce, lie and cheat in an orgy of deceit. It's ludicrous, self-deprecating while still able to be funnily relatable and thoroughly enjoyable.

American Hustle is a story of two con artists, Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and Sydney Prosse (Amy Adams), who make a living by setting up small fraud businesses. Unfortunately for them, they are caught red-handed by an FBI agent Richard DiMaso (Bradley Cooper). Now faced with heavy charges, both have no choice but to aid the agent in capturing more high profile targets. The operation soon becomes out of control as they try to manipulate increasing amount of victims and also outmaneuver each other, while dangerous and powerful men caught whiff of the sting operation.

Every time a scene plays out, the actors passionately perform at excellent caliber. Christian Bale transforms himself into almost a completely different person. He looks plumper, wears hair piece and struts with somewhat slouched posture, it's realistically impressive. He shows complacent cautious behavior to mask his sly ambitious side. I admittedly didn't recognize him at some points as he almost merges in the character. Bradley Cooper plays the suave agent, who is Irving's counterpart, brimming with confident and unbridled ambition. The way he portrays his character is explosively brazen, almost obsessively erratic in his endeavor.

Amy Adams as the role of sensual mistress, trademarked by how unwilling she is on wearing bra, has another persona as Edith, the supposed British lady. She shifts between the roles so convincingly, weaving layers of lies with great British accent; she may very well elude the audience. Jennifer Lawrence plays Irving's overly defensive, disturbed and near **** insane wife. She seems so broken with habitual reliance on dubious men, both using and being used by them. There is one scene where Adams and Lawrence loath each other with such malicious intensity, it's almost creepy to witness.

I like the addition of Louis C.K. as the reluctant cop and DiMaso's supervisor; he brings organic humor to the table, mostly on his own character’s expense. Jeremey Renner rocks a flamboyant haircut as the seemingly philanthropic mayor Carmine Polito. Sometimes Renner looks genuinely motivated to do good for his city, also rather too innocent to mingle with the rest of suspicious characters. Robert DeNiro, however, portrays an old mob boss, calculatingly dangerous in short time he's on-screen.

Every minute of the movie practically boasts high level of talent, they are simply captivating, even as they desperately claw their ways by forging fictional version of themselves. Director David O. Russell succeeds in presenting these talents in near over-the-top scenes, which are fairly ridiculous but will make audience can't help but feeling there's a glitter of glamor on them. The movie is clever of its use of twist, although characters' personal struggles are still the essence.

There lie few movies that can rival American Hustle in the quantity and quality of its actors. It weaves a fantastic gripping tale of fraudulence with colorful characters, dancing with the tune of greed.
  30. Jun 1, 2014
    A whole bunch of good actors playing interesting characters with clear motivation. I've read that the director cared about the characters more than about the story, so he let them improvise, and that's really great! The story is pretty slow though and some interesting events start to happen only in the second half of the movie.
  31. Dec 22, 2013
    AMERICAN HUSTLE explores the uniquely American need for self-reinvention and our obsession with success and finding a better life. Unlike most filmmakers, David O. Russell is able to use the great American con as a metaphor for our larger personal ills. Unfortunately, Russell does not seem like the right director for this tale. Scenes are lethargic and go on for far too long. A reallyAMERICAN HUSTLE explores the uniquely American need for self-reinvention and our obsession with success and finding a better life. Unlike most filmmakers, David O. Russell is able to use the great American con as a metaphor for our larger personal ills. Unfortunately, Russell does not seem like the right director for this tale. Scenes are lethargic and go on for far too long. A really super music score is laid down in the most perfunctory fashion. His cast is totally game and look amazing in their 70s garb but they too often come across as lifeless. Except for Jennifer Lawrence who totally steals the show! She delivers an astoundingly insightful performance that is both over the top and subtle. She's funny, whacked, sad and lonely--all at the same time. A miraculous performance. If only AMERICAN HUSTLE reached the same dizzying somber heights. Expand
  32. Apr 29, 2014
  33. BKM
    Jan 9, 2014
    I've never been a huge fan of David O. Russel's films, but this one was a complete mess in spite of the top shelf talent involved. The narrative felt clunky and unfocused and the performances seemed hammy and over the top. Only Louis C.K., in a small role as one of the few sane characters in this overstuffed pinata, generated any laughs. One of the most overrated awards season filmsI've never been a huge fan of David O. Russel's films, but this one was a complete mess in spite of the top shelf talent involved. The narrative felt clunky and unfocused and the performances seemed hammy and over the top. Only Louis C.K., in a small role as one of the few sane characters in this overstuffed pinata, generated any laughs. One of the most overrated awards season films I've seen in a long time. Expand
  34. Dec 15, 2013
    “American Hustle” stars Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Christian Bale in this 2 hour film directed by David O. Russel who co-wrote it with Eric Singer. This is a fast moving and intelligently writtten story of con men (and women) seeking to outsmart each other. This film is a viewer’s delight as we watch the intricacies of the plot unfold. Although Mr. Cooper, Ms. Adams“American Hustle” stars Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Christian Bale in this 2 hour film directed by David O. Russel who co-wrote it with Eric Singer. This is a fast moving and intelligently writtten story of con men (and women) seeking to outsmart each other. This film is a viewer’s delight as we watch the intricacies of the plot unfold. Although Mr. Cooper, Ms. Adams and Ms. Lawrence give stellar performances, the kudos really must go to Mr. Bale who plays his part with credibility and passion. Acknowledgments must also got to Director Russell who, despite the obvious length of the film keeps it well paced and easy to watch. I give the film a 9 rating with more of the film sure to be talked about at Oscar time in February 2014 Expand
  35. Dec 21, 2013
    A mesmerizing ensemble production. Amy Adams shows her acting chops again (following "The Fighter"), and she is so delectable to look at. Joining her are Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence doing wonders with a great script. As it states in the beginning "some of this stuff actually happened," and it's a nod that the writers are going to mess with the plot for arts sake. The pace neverA mesmerizing ensemble production. Amy Adams shows her acting chops again (following "The Fighter"), and she is so delectable to look at. Joining her are Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence doing wonders with a great script. As it states in the beginning "some of this stuff actually happened," and it's a nod that the writers are going to mess with the plot for arts sake. The pace never slackens and when the first stringers are off camera the subs are almost as good. I found the movie reminiscent of "Goodfellas" but with a heart instead of a fist. Bale deserves chameleon of the year award, Amy has put the saccharin behind her for good and Jennifer does her best work since "Winter's Bone." Worthy of an Oscar nomination and maybe a statue, in a tough year to pick. Expand
  36. Nov 23, 2014
    American Hustle es otra buena película del director David O. Russell, que va avanzando en una historia casual, hábil y compleja que te deja con una impresión bastante interesante y fresca.
  37. Jan 17, 2014
    Truly stunning how the worst movies of the year get Oscar nominations. This movie is a joke, there is not a single redeeming feature in all of it, except for maybe Amy Adams' looks, she is cute, but that has nothing to do with the movie. It really is hard not to fall asleep. The characters are all unlikable, they look weird, they dress weird, the are weird. This movie, together withTruly stunning how the worst movies of the year get Oscar nominations. This movie is a joke, there is not a single redeeming feature in all of it, except for maybe Amy Adams' looks, she is cute, but that has nothing to do with the movie. It really is hard not to fall asleep. The characters are all unlikable, they look weird, they dress weird, the are weird. This movie, together with 'Gravity', should have never been released to the public. Simply awful. Expand
  38. Dec 4, 2013
    If you're a lover the Silver Linings Playbook cast, they're pretty much all back in this film. I'd heard a ton about the ABSCAM scandal through out my youth, so I'm happy that Russell decided to bring the story to life in such a hilarious fasion. Cooper isn't as amazing as you'd like him to be here (he needed to tone down the mania just a bit), but Christian Bale, Jennifer Lawrence, and,If you're a lover the Silver Linings Playbook cast, they're pretty much all back in this film. I'd heard a ton about the ABSCAM scandal through out my youth, so I'm happy that Russell decided to bring the story to life in such a hilarious fasion. Cooper isn't as amazing as you'd like him to be here (he needed to tone down the mania just a bit), but Christian Bale, Jennifer Lawrence, and, especially, Amy Adams carry the weight of this film. And yes, lest I forget, Renner is brilliant. I'd also like to specifically call out the music as dead-on perfect. The film feels a touch long, but you really can't go wrong with this movie. Expand
  39. Jan 25, 2014
    I confess that I slept through the fatigue for 10 minutes as I watched, but that does not detract from the merit of the film covered all possible parameters in order to become what it is today, the tape with more nominations for Academy Awards (Gravity like).
    With effervescent dialogues, spectacular performances, for me the best was that of Amy Adams certainly.
    Excellent sound,
    Excellent sound, soundtrack, photography, art, costumes, everything. Undoubtedly one of the 10 best films of 2013.
  40. Jan 11, 2014
    This years Argo with the most Golden Globe nominations of any movie. American Hustle seems to be preferred by critics than the public, just take a look at the discussion forum, however I found it to be one of the years best films.

Despite a slow and disappointing start, in which I was already planning my review containing many uses of the word overrated, American Hustle improves hugely in the last 100 minutes. Mainly because of the brilliant ensemble cast with names such as Christian Bale, in yet another body transformation for a role. His two wives Amy Adams as Sydney Prosser and Jennifer Lawrence giving the best performance in the movie for Rosalyn Rosenfeld. Oscar nominee, for Silver Linings Playbook, Bradley Cooper is mesmerising along side Louis C.K. as the 2 FBI agents. But the most surprising performance is definitely by the most unknown members of The Avengers himself Jeremy Renner who was obviously out of his comfort zone playing the corrupt politician Carmine Polito. A very unusual role for him to play because he didn't blow anything up within the first 5 minutes. How much they develop over the 130 minutes is probably the most unpredictable and surprising thing about the whole picture. Everything is filmed with a unique style obviously paying homage to the decade it is set in, the 70's. Retro costumes and most noticeably retro hair give American Hustle a very likable and entertaining visual style which I hope will appear in more of David O. Russell's movies in future. Much to my surprise American Hustle also has a very witty and effective sense of humor, which easily made me laugh on many occasions, mainly due to the convincing chemistry between Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence. However what surprises the most is without a doubt is the almost unbelievable fact that American Hustle is based on a true story, it obviously has exaggerated elements put in the script for dramatic or comedic effect, but still it's pretty mind blowing that someone would even attempt the events that happen in this movie.

Perfectly cast and full of unique interesting characters who never fail to entertain you, America Hustle is one of the best scripted and directed movies of 2013. I enjoyed near to every second of it and think it deserves it's title as this years Argo.
  41. Jan 1, 2014
    Whaaat, you guys are loving this one? I saw both this film and The Wolf of Wall Street. They both have really the same story but the other film does it much better.
  42. Dec 21, 2013
    More hype than hustle and a major disappointment. This film has too much stagnant film time where nothing of consequence occurs. Every time it gathers some momentum, it diverts to the snails pace love triangle hustle that is frankly not very interesting. Amy Adams revealing cleavage isn't enough to make up for the fact the hustle is does not constitute enough of the film to keep yourMore hype than hustle and a major disappointment. This film has too much stagnant film time where nothing of consequence occurs. Every time it gathers some momentum, it diverts to the snails pace love triangle hustle that is frankly not very interesting. Amy Adams revealing cleavage isn't enough to make up for the fact the hustle is does not constitute enough of the film to keep your attention. There are about three scenes of interest and the rest of the film is a bore. Expand
  43. Apr 23, 2014
    I finally watched this movie on Blu-Ray today. No need to recap the many, many comments already made. Suffice to say, in my opinion, that the performances, by an excellent cast, were more over-the-top than seemed necessary. I grew weary of all of the shouting. In summary, "American Hustle" was about 30 minutes too long.
  44. Jun 4, 2014
    Great actors, not a bad story. But the movie just didn't flow for me, about 3/4 of the way. I totally lost interest. That's not a good sign! the movie overall is a 5 out of 10. I already forgot about it
  45. Dec 30, 2013
    Not a bad film, not a great one either. I would definitely not call it one of the best of the year as many critics do.
    How would I describe it?
    You take a good recipe, all proper ingredients, follow the procedure. But the result is quite mediocre.
    I saw the movie just a few days ago and I do not remember what it was about. My Alzheimer is only part of the reason
  46. Jan 12, 2014
    Ehh. It's good but it does not come close to knocking it out of the park as critics would have you believe. It was entirely watchable and I enjoyed it, but it was a step down from silver linings playbook. It's worth going to see, but I didn't find it particularly special.
  47. Dec 25, 2013
    "American Hustle" is a pretty darn good, entertaining, and fun film. While I don't think it's director David O' Russell's best film, I still think it is his best directed. It is directed with a flashy style that really fits with the era of the movie. There are many over the top moments and exaggerated camera sweeps that really brings a lot of excitement on screen. The script is layered"American Hustle" is a pretty darn good, entertaining, and fun film. While I don't think it's director David O' Russell's best film, I still think it is his best directed. It is directed with a flashy style that really fits with the era of the movie. There are many over the top moments and exaggerated camera sweeps that really brings a lot of excitement on screen. The script is layered with hilarious dialogue and deeper meaning of living the "American Dream" than what is actually being presented on screen. However, I wish it did have more focus and a tighter story as it did feel like it was all over the place. The journey is also more satisfying than the actual conclusion.

The cast is great and the director really gets some amazing performances from the cast. Christian Bale, Amy Adams, and Bradley Cooper are great in their roles and play very dimensional characters. They make them come alive and their on-screen chemistry is great. However, the real stand-out in this star studded cast is Jennifer Lawrence, who doesn't have as much depth or screen time, but commands total attention on-screen. She embodies everything that the movie is going for by being over the top, zany, and full on entertaining. Everytime she was off-screen, I kept on begging for more.

Overall, "American Hustle" is a really good movie that is equal parts entertaining and thought provoking. It never reaches any emotional highs and needs some focus, but David O' Russell's stylish direction, use of high energy music, and committed cast makes this movie something special. I give it 4.5/5
  48. May 24, 2014
    Good acting but I just could not get into this movie, I felt bored for most of the first half. I didn't really know why they were doing what they were doing. Story felt pretty bland even though it was based on a true story I just couldn't get into this movie. I didn't hate this movie by any means but I don't know why it got all the praise it did. I'm glad it did not win any Oscars as itGood acting but I just could not get into this movie, I felt bored for most of the first half. I didn't really know why they were doing what they were doing. Story felt pretty bland even though it was based on a true story I just couldn't get into this movie. I didn't hate this movie by any means but I don't know why it got all the praise it did. I'm glad it did not win any Oscars as it was not deserving of any. Expand
  49. Jan 15, 2014
    American Hustle is the new movie of David O. Russell, and like Silver Linings Playbook and The Fighter, it has a parade of great actors, giving wonderful performances. Christian Bale really transmits the conflict that lives the protagonist between stop working for the FBI and the loyalty that has with people of his world. Amy Adams captures so well the double personality that a woman canAmerican Hustle is the new movie of David O. Russell, and like Silver Linings Playbook and The Fighter, it has a parade of great actors, giving wonderful performances. Christian Bale really transmits the conflict that lives the protagonist between stop working for the FBI and the loyalty that has with people of his world. Amy Adams captures so well the double personality that a woman can act. Jennifer Lawrence is convincing as a manipulator mother with psychological projection. Even Jeremy Renner plays very well the mayor that will do whatever it takes to help his citizen. Bradley Cooper is the one that falls in the performances, I mean it is unexpected for a simple comedy actor, but since he demonstrate his potential on Silver Linings Playbook, I think he could do it a lot better here. Above all, David O. Russell has real talent to choose and direct actors. Because of all these is possible to transmit the topics of the film, like the idea of what people do in order to survive (change name and look, make up stories of childhood, create fake business, deny family and even betray the people you know); and the power that have friends and family over ones choices. The only problem of the story is that the script is not well develop so it becomes very difficult to connect the dots and decrypt the movie, but it is very dynamic and catches you from the beginning. Expand
  50. Dec 29, 2013
    Overall a very good movie with some top notch acting performances and a really good story and twist near the end. The film really hit the 70s atmosphere. The lead actors were all amazing; however, I personally didn't find Jennifer Lawrence all that convincing. She just doesn't seem to fit in overall and I feel like she over-acted her role. Just too flamboyant and over the top in all herOverall a very good movie with some top notch acting performances and a really good story and twist near the end. The film really hit the 70s atmosphere. The lead actors were all amazing; however, I personally didn't find Jennifer Lawrence all that convincing. She just doesn't seem to fit in overall and I feel like she over-acted her role. Just too flamboyant and over the top in all her scenes. The other actors were simply awesome. Expand
  51. Mar 21, 2014
    Sorry, we've been conned, hoodwinked which of course is the film's conceit. A bunch of b-list actors doing a 70s period piece featuring your dad's big-band music and your big brother's pop hits. This looks and feels like a made-for-tv movie from the 70s. I do not know how people sat through this in a theater. Seriously.
  52. Mar 26, 2015
    8.8/10................................................................................................................................................
  53. May 6, 2014
    Critics are wrong sometimes but why do they thought this film terrific, this film is bad, tge unic thing that saves this film are the actings and im not talking about the not so good at this film jennifer lawrence.
  54. Dec 21, 2013
    Not perfect, like many critics have been claiming it to be. However, it is most certainly yet another great addition to director David O. Russell's line of films. The story and pacing felt a little stuck at times. But really, it's the acting and the intriguing cast that makes this movie great! Christian Bale puts on a few pounds as the unpredictable con man, Irving. Bradley Cooper'sNot perfect, like many critics have been claiming it to be. However, it is most certainly yet another great addition to director David O. Russell's line of films. The story and pacing felt a little stuck at times. But really, it's the acting and the intriguing cast that makes this movie great! Christian Bale puts on a few pounds as the unpredictable con man, Irving. Bradley Cooper's performance as a crooked FBI agent served as one of the more memorable male performances in the film. Amy Adams is daring as Bale's love interest. Jeremy Renner gives a worthwhile goody two-shoes performance as the mayor. And last, but absolutely not least, Jennifer Lawrence gives it her all in what may well be her fiercest performance yet. The plot was also intelligent and well done for the most part, but like I said, it's really the characters that make this movie. David O. Russell even said it himself that he likes to focus on and prioritize characters more than plot. In this film's case, it fortunately worked. So overall, if you're a fan of David O. Russell's previous films (or films with interesting characters,) there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy this, because this may be one of his best films yet. Expand
  55. Feb 16, 2014
    The very messy plot should be about a convoluted scam played by a couple of swindlers, “forced” to work for the FBI. The swindlers happen to be Irving (Bale) and Sydney (Adams), also involved in a torrid extramarital affair. Irving is married to Rosalyn (Lawrence) a single mum, whose son he adopted. Like most married men, he stalling divorce because the “child would suffer”.

Irving and

Irving and Sydney get busted by Richie (Cooper) an ambitious FBI agent who forces them to get bigger fish into the agency net. Or, at least this should be the plot, because it gets derailed in all directions, none of which even remotely interesting.

It feels like the whole movie is a scam played on the audience, starting with Lawrence. I understand that she is the present ”Hollywood-IT-hot” girl, but her part is bloated out of proportion, when her character was at best a marginal one.

She is constantly on screen, shouting all her lines and going on endlessly about her relationship with Irving. Who cares? I wanted to see a movie about a hustle, not a dysfunctional couple in action, especially when their dysfunctions are not the core of the plot. We also get plenty of the Sydney-Richie relationship (and again, who cares?)

Everybody is exceedingly verbose, and situations that would require at most 30 seconds of screen time drag on for several minutes. Even considered as a “character study”, the movie still does not work.

Besides, the “moral” of the story is a murky one and an additional joke played on the audience: whoever makes more money (regardless of their methods) is smarter than anybody holding an honest job.
    Corrupted politicians are portrayed as minor offenders, dealing dirty deeds for the good of the community. Richie is played as a fool, while mediocre Irving and Sydney are glorified as first-class tricksters. Even dumb and insufferable Rosalyn gets a happy ending of her own

The best thing about American Hustle is the 70’s atmosphere, with some amazingly tacky clothes and a good soundtrack, but it is definitely not enough to save the movie. Unbelievable to think this mess got 10 Oscars nominations….
  56. Jan 16, 2014
    Whether you try to unravel the titular hustle's plot yourself or you just wait for it to be revealed, it's altogether very entertaining and fast-paced. The all star cast lives up to expectations, with, in my opinion, Bale, Renner , and Amy Adams giving out the best performances. Bradley Cooper blurbs as if he's still acting in Silver Linings, all fast and repeating the same sentence overWhether you try to unravel the titular hustle's plot yourself or you just wait for it to be revealed, it's altogether very entertaining and fast-paced. The all star cast lives up to expectations, with, in my opinion, Bale, Renner , and Amy Adams giving out the best performances. Bradley Cooper blurbs as if he's still acting in Silver Linings, all fast and repeating the same sentence over and over, but that's okay. It also has a spectacular soundtrack (though not so much adherent to the time setting: we are in 1978 and the soundtrack sounds more like '72) and there's nothing pretentious about the film, as some have suggested.

All in all, it's fun to watch, it's well acted, it's well scored, it's well written. What else is there?
  57. Dec 24, 2013
    Filled with phenomenal performances, an expertly written screenplay with both clever twists and likable characters, and a perfect blend of comedy and drama, American Hustle is another incredible achievement from one of my favorite film directors of the past few years. American Hustle is easily my favorite movie of the year.
  58. Jan 2, 2014
    The heist film genre is one of the most exciting film genres in recent memory, thanks to the likes of elaborate minds and stylistically driven directors. From Soderbergh’s Ocean trilogy which began the trend of mainstream, modern-day cops-and-robbers films, to other very meticulously crafted caper films, the heist genre is one which is both exciting and compelling to crack before theThe heist film genre is one of the most exciting film genres in recent memory, thanks to the likes of elaborate minds and stylistically driven directors. From Soderbergh’s Ocean trilogy which began the trend of mainstream, modern-day cops-and-robbers films, to other very meticulously crafted caper films, the heist genre is one which is both exciting and compelling to crack before the climactic final act. American Hustle is a modern day, somewhat self-indulgent, patriotic heist film with outstanding performances, many good times and very few bad times. The beauty of Hustle lies in its amazing ability to fake it; whether it be faking an overly complicated narrative for no apparent reason or a meaningful story that never gets old, Hustle is a solid film that will con your heart, through and through.

American Hustle is a testament to a very powerful, respected and hard-working director. David O. Russell is a director who focuses more on his characters than he does on his story, and it is easily noticed in Hustle. Each and every one of the performances in his newest writing/directing credit is every bit as evolved and appreciated as his last. O. Russell has proven, time and time again, that his ability to get the best performances out of his actors is one of his many featured signatures. From Melissa Leo, Amy Adams, Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Jacki Weaver, Robert Di Nero, and Jennifer Lawrence, O. Russell brings a furious velocity to his characters in the form of his actors that have ended in Oscar glory, if not recognition, at the very least.

American Hustle is a con film showing the real con-artists as small time players against the biggest con artists of the world; the American government and the American judicial system. Hustle is a loose re-telling of the events following the investigation of the operation named “Abscam”.

Like any good story being told, it begins, and will always begin with a girl. That girl, in this case, is Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams), or Lady Edith Greensly, either way, it starts with a girl, as do most American narratives. When low-level con artist and small-time businessman Irving Rosenfeld meets stripper Sydney at a party in 1978, the two begin a love-affair that involves low-level stakes at fraud and scamming, unbeknownst to Irving’s unstable wife at the time, Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence). As Irving and Sydney meet investors and embezzle their money, they attract the attention of undercover FBI agent Richie Di Maso (Bradley Cooper). Desperate to make a name for himself, Di Maso entraps the two con-artists in a scam that includes the mayor of Camden, New Jersey Carmine Polito (Jeremy Renner), various members of Congress, and the mafia.

While Irving’s life spins completely out of control between spiralling cons, a love triangle between him, Sydney, and Richie, as well as his manipulating and out of control wife, Irving must master the fine art of deception so that he and Sydney can still come out with their lives.

Much like the marketing of the film, and true to the style of the director, the performances are at the forefront of Hustle. Turning in two of the best performances of his career (the other being the slow burning thriller Out of the Furnace) Bale solidifies his confidence as a serious method actor. Bale’s dedication to the craft, whether it be his outrageous weight-gain or loss, heightens his performances.

Other stand-out performances include Amy Adams, whose confused and beguiling depiction of a desperate woman in search of love, happiness, and the American dream, is met wholeheartedly when she delivers lines like “you’re nothing to me until you’re everything”. Adams sheds her good-girl image as she did for O. Russell previously in The Fighter, by playing the sexy pillar to her love interests. Much like Julia Roberts did in Erin Brockovich, I’m not sure if Adams deserves the supporting Oscar nomination or if her constantly revealing side-boob does. Either way, Adams seduces her leading men in high fashion, and ironically enough, low fabric.

Lawrence, who won the Oscar for Lead Actress with O. Russell’s highly over-rated Silver Linings Playbook last year as another unstable, slutty persona, really gives a sense of her characters unwillingness to change. Lawrence’s Rosalyn is a crazy, contorting character who shows that her character is way out of her league in her husband’s world of deceit. Rosalyn is really a child in a grown man’s world.

Renner hits it out of the park as Polito, an honest man whose sketchy manoeuvres as a person in power, really sheds the action-hero substitute Renner has been playing recently in franchise revival action genre films.
  59. Jan 3, 2014
    Per il film con cui confermare il suo buon momento creativo, David O. Russell raccoglie gli attori delle due precedenti pellicole e li immerge in una storia di imbrogli e contro-imbrogli (da cui il sottotitolo italiano ‘L’apparenza inganna’) ispirata a fatti realmente accaduti agli inizi degli anni Settanta. Il tutto riporta certo alla mente film come ‘La stangata’, ma lo svolgimentoPer il film con cui confermare il suo buon momento creativo, David O. Russell raccoglie gli attori delle due precedenti pellicole e li immerge in una storia di imbrogli e contro-imbrogli (da cui il sottotitolo italiano ‘L’apparenza inganna’) ispirata a fatti realmente accaduti agli inizi degli anni Settanta. Il tutto riporta certo alla mente film come ‘La stangata’, ma lo svolgimento personale e la mano assai felice così che non si avvertono le oltre due ore di durata malgrado la trama sia tutto meno che lineare. Irving (Bale) e Sydney (Adams) sono due imbroglioni dalla notevole intesa ‘lavorativa’ e sessuale malgrado la panza e il riportone di lui, Bale ingrassato di una ventina di chili per il ruolo che però cercano di non fare il passo più lungo della gamba. Questo non basta ad evitar loro il venire incastrati dall’agente federale Richie DiMaso (Cooper) che, osteggiato dal proprio capo, pensa di sfruttarli per far carriera scoprendo i maneggi di alcuni politici locali implicati nella ricostruzione di Atlantic City. Due sono i fattori che mandano in crisi l’operazione, l’interessamento della mafia alla gestione delle case da gioco nella persone dal killer Victor Tellegio, un Robert De Niro che, senza comparire nei titoli, fa un’autocitazione dei tempi di ‘Quei bravi ragazzi’ e ‘Casinò’ che anche un omaggio a Scorsese e Rosalyn (Lawrence), quasi ex moglie di Irving che molto meno scricoccata di quanto il suo comportamento faccia pensare, ma comunque una componente non controllabile. Per cavarsela, Irving e socia danno fondo al loro mestiere e in qualche modo riescono a girarsene fuori, mentre nella rete restano solo alcuni pesci piccoli e il sindaco Carmine Polito (Renner), uno che bene o male ha sempre agito per la comunità e, col passare del tempo, di Irving diventato amico. Alla fine, sono i delinquenti di professione a risultare più ‘onesti’ morale discutibile e non certo nuova, una delle poche perplessità che il film fa nascere mentre Richie sparisce dalla scena, scaricato anche da chi pensava di sfruttarne gli eventuali successi. Contrappasso doloroso per un narciso come lui memorabile la scena con i bigodini in testa per farsi i ricci tanto remissivo in casa quanto aggressivo fuori in una ricerca di giustizia sbilanciata dall’ambizione. Nei suoi panni, Cooper offre un’ottima interpretazione, forse solo qua e là un po’ forzata, di un altro personaggio con molte più ombre che luci dopo Avery in ‘Come un tuono’: però tutto il cast che funziona alla perfezione, regalando un insieme di interpretazioni di altissimo livello, tanto che appare davvero difficile citare uno e non l’altro. Va però sottolineato che a fianco della bravura di Bale, Adams e Renner si fa notare Lawrence che sembra un’altra rispetto a quella di ‘Hunger games’ e sa sfruttare con notevole efficacia il minor spazio concessole facendo di Rosalyn una figura fondamentale. Questa insistenza sugli attori voluta dal regista che si sempre detto molto più interessato ai personaggi che all’intreccio: i caratteri sono infatti disegnati a tutto tondo con psicologie definite anche con l’aiuto degli interpreti che sovente sono stati lasciati liberi di improvvisare sullo spartito di una sceneggiatura di Eric Singer (rivista da Russell) che risale a qualche anno fa. Altrettanta importanza data alle dinamiche psicologiche fra le varie figure, con la cinepresa che le segue spesso da distanza ravvicinata alternandosi tra di loro per coglierne le differenti sfumature in special modo nei frequenti faccia a faccia: si tratti di scontri a muso duro o momenti di forte tensione sensuale, ogni situazione svolta in modo da cercare di trasmettere allo spettatore il massimo delle sensazioni. Ne esce un film di gran ritmo che guarda con notevole cinismo, umorismo acido e una punta di amarezza alla società in cui tali personaggi hanno potuto svilupparsi. Al confronto, meno definito il contesto: la fotografia di Linus Sandgren bella, colorata come da momento storico e mai banale, ma gli anni Settanta restano sullo sfondo (con più di un anacronismo, vedi ‘I feel love’ nella versione dei Bronski Beat) e, a parte qualche elemento decorativo i pesanti telefoni, le camicie aperte sul petto gli occhiali a goccia e, soprattutto, i vestiti vedono-non-vedo di Amy Irving si ha l’impressione che la vicenda sarebbe potuta essere ambientata in qualsiasi altro periodo senza perdere nulla della sua efficacia. Efficacia che ha fatto incetta di candidature ai Golden Globe e minaccia di ripetersi agli Oscar. Expand
  60. Feb 23, 2014
    After making great fighter and The Silver Linnings Playbook that helped in the total image transformation director, David O.Russel reaches the apex of his career doing his hilarious, daring, and ambitious film about the reinvention of the human being and the necessity of such a cheat to live with the minimum of dignity, and he tells it through fine performances ranging from soft-spokenAfter making great fighter and The Silver Linnings Playbook that helped in the total image transformation director, David O.Russel reaches the apex of his career doing his hilarious, daring, and ambitious film about the reinvention of the human being and the necessity of such a cheat to live with the minimum of dignity, and he tells it through fine performances ranging from soft-spoken characters we all know that one hour will explode, the ones who are always on ecxtase and his screen presence is striking, in a reverent, slow but very fun and compensatory what makes you think without guilt contrary to another strong oscar nominated 12 years a slave history. Expand
  61. Jan 1, 2014
    While having unambitious and unpredictable main plot "American Hustle" shines in almost every aspect of cinema! But this movie also did some questionable turns, that took away the from the overall experience!
  62. Feb 4, 2014
    Despite its head-straching moments in this otherwise interesting plot, American Hustle is nostalgia with its brillant acting from the ensemble cast...
  63. May 8, 2014
    There wasn't much of a storyline, and that's the film's fatal flaw, but "American Hustle" was an undeniable extravaganza of a film. Director David O. Russell deserves credit for his exuberant, striking evocation of the glitz and glamour '70s. The acting was superb all round: I particularly enjoyed Bradley Cooper, who made for an excellent sleazebag FBI agent. It may have been a massiveThere wasn't much of a storyline, and that's the film's fatal flaw, but "American Hustle" was an undeniable extravaganza of a film. Director David O. Russell deserves credit for his exuberant, striking evocation of the glitz and glamour '70s. The acting was superb all round: I particularly enjoyed Bradley Cooper, who made for an excellent sleazebag FBI agent. It may have been a massive exercise in style over substance, but it was an entertaining one. Expand
  64. Mar 24, 2014
    Another excellent film under the directorship of David O. Russell. American Hustle is a modern day classic. Just genius. It tells the story of conman Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and his seductive mistress and partner Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams) who are forced to work with the F.B.I by Agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper) to set up an elaborate sting operation to uncover corruptAnother excellent film under the directorship of David O. Russell. American Hustle is a modern day classic. Just genius. It tells the story of conman Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and his seductive mistress and partner Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams) who are forced to work with the F.B.I by Agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper) to set up an elaborate sting operation to uncover corrupt politicians including the Mayor of camden (Jeremy Renner) however it's the unpredictability of Rosenfelds's wife (Jennifer Lawrence) that puts the plan in danger. It's filled with fantastic performances from all the leads. Christian Bale proves his class with a stellar showing accompanied by his partner in crime Amy Adams who herself, impresses with a varying performance. Bradley Cooper also comes up with the goods in yet another star turn. Yet again, it's Jennifer Lawrence who steals the show. The girl isn't just amazingly stunning but she's an extraordinarily gifted actress as she continues to wow audiences in each film she appears in. She is sensational in her supporting role. The film is thoroughly entertaining. Infact, it's contagious!! Definitely a feel good film that you would foolish to miss out on especially when you have the star studded line up on show. Expand
  65. Mar 2, 2014
    I can't give an opinion on this movie without talking about David O. Russell's previous film first.

I didn't enjoy Silver Linings Playbook when i first saw it. I thought the characters were too crazy and the story was just over-the-top. As the months went by, i started realizing that, maybe, we all are really crazy; each in his/her own subtle way. David O. Russell just denotes this idea, without the subtle so as to make it clear to us. That's when i watched the movie again and really loved it. And then i watched American Hustle, and loved it as well.

The characters are really screwed up. Thanks to very stellar performances, especially by Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence, the characters really exemplify the craziness inherent in many people. Amy Adams is brilliant, while Bradley Cooper should have taken the craziness down a notch. The directing is superb, and so is the script. And it has one of the best soundtracks of the year.

I'm so glad to have seen this film. David O. Russell is one of my favorite director's right now.
  66. Feb 10, 2014
    "American Hustle" offers us mixed sensations. I can't stop to think how would be this film if Scorsese had directed it. I think David O. Russell is overrated. Although cast ensemble is amazing. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence are wonderful.
  67. Sep 17, 2014
    David O. Russell has really grown on me as a director. I have only seen four of his films now--Three Kings, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook and now this--but they have been four of the most intriguing American films of the past fifteen years. If he is patient, keeps up his writing and directing prowess and continues to develop the fine talent pool that obviously enjoys working forDavid O. Russell has really grown on me as a director. I have only seen four of his films now--Three Kings, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook and now this--but they have been four of the most intriguing American films of the past fifteen years. If he is patient, keeps up his writing and directing prowess and continues to develop the fine talent pool that obviously enjoys working for him, it's only a matter of time before he's making acceptance speeches in the Kodak Theatre some Sunday evening in February in the not-too-distant future. Expand
  68. Feb 3, 2014
    This movie is great, the acting is great, the writing is great, it is near perfect, but why isn't perfect, well the story is kind of just there, and the movie is just a slide show for the cast, and director David O'Russell's talents, but it is a really good one.
  69. Dec 30, 2013
    Again David O. Russell comes out on top. Bringing back a lot of the people that were in his previous project "Silver Linings Playbook", the film is rich with the cast (the cast, wow!), the story, and the writing. Not to mention some of the humor the film brings is very enjoyable. The film of 2013 without a doubt.
  70. Feb 19, 2014
    I agree, it can sound like any mafia movie made​​, but the subtle and solid direction from David can make Hustle, a film with personality, people can say O. Russell is not a good director, but as the movie goes, you forget that someone is driving everything, and that's one of the greatest assets for a director. There are people there, they are affected, and you feel it, not to mention theI agree, it can sound like any mafia movie made​​, but the subtle and solid direction from David can make Hustle, a film with personality, people can say O. Russell is not a good director, but as the movie goes, you forget that someone is driving everything, and that's one of the greatest assets for a director. There are people there, they are affected, and you feel it, not to mention the fact that it is incredibly fun. Expand
  71. Nov 8, 2014
    Una buena película, mas lenta de lo que pensaba, pero con unas interpretaciones sólidas. La trama es algo complicada de seguir, me perdí en el tramo final pero en general creo que es interesante. Los actores bordan sus papeles, maquillados de una forma inusual.
  72. Feb 2, 2014
    Having now seen this film I can certainly say this is very overrated. Know that it won a Golden Globe and has many BAFTA and Oscar nominations is surprising. It is unnecessarily long, not as interesting as it tries to be, more stylish than it needs to be, has one character which is inconsistent and has a underwhelming ending. It reminds me that Citizen Kane never won best picture butHaving now seen this film I can certainly say this is very overrated. Know that it won a Golden Globe and has many BAFTA and Oscar nominations is surprising. It is unnecessarily long, not as interesting as it tries to be, more stylish than it needs to be, has one character which is inconsistent and has a underwhelming ending. It reminds me that Citizen Kane never won best picture but Driving Miss Daisy did; award ceremonies don't reward great films but rather popular and newly released films. We need to treat these ceremonies as entertainment and not as a measure of cinema hallmarks.

Make no mistake this is a good movie. Ignore the press and hype so you can realise this is just a decent con artist film, one that spends more time giving it's 4 cast members time to shine and entertaining us, than having a compelling and memorable story.
  73. Jan 25, 2014
    American Hustle, the most overrated movie of 2013. It's not a bad movie but doesn't deserve all the Oscar nominees that it recieved. The actors did do a good job in their roles but I spent half the movie asking "What is going on right now?". It just felt convolulted. I might have had too high expectations but it just wasn't that impressed. Not a bad film but not whay it is being made out to be.
  74. Dec 23, 2013
    From a directing and acting standpoint, American Hustle is a tour de force. This is O'Russell's best film to date (which is no small feat). Like his past work, the character's are dense, intricate, believable, and even relatable. Though all of the actors and actresses are game, Lawrence, Bale, and Renner seemed stand out the most, giving some very exceptional performances. The productionFrom a directing and acting standpoint, American Hustle is a tour de force. This is O'Russell's best film to date (which is no small feat). Like his past work, the character's are dense, intricate, believable, and even relatable. Though all of the actors and actresses are game, Lawrence, Bale, and Renner seemed stand out the most, giving some very exceptional performances. The production design here is truly a feast for the eyes, and it captures the essence of the late 70's impeccably. The only weakness here is that the story (while good) does not have that real "grab-and-pull" quality that so many great stories have. But this is only a minor quibble, when considering all of the greatness that is on display here. Expand
  75. Dec 26, 2013
    My second favorite movie of the year after "Blue is....". A film critic wrote the perfect blurb for this movie "This movie is like a slot machine which keeps spitting out quarters". Exactly. The movie is so much fun and scene after scene after scene are delightful. Pure entertainment.
  76. Jan 4, 2014
    Loosely based on the FBI ABSCAM Operation in the 1970’s, the film follows successful conman Irving Rosenfeld, played by the usually committed Christian Bale, and his deceptive crime partner and mistress “Edith Greensly” played with allure by Amy Adams. To evade prosecution these con artists are forced to serve the FBI by creating an elaborate sting operation to nail corrupt politicians inLoosely based on the FBI ABSCAM Operation in the 1970’s, the film follows successful conman Irving Rosenfeld, played by the usually committed Christian Bale, and his deceptive crime partner and mistress “Edith Greensly” played with allure by Amy Adams. To evade prosecution these con artists are forced to serve the FBI by creating an elaborate sting operation to nail corrupt politicians in the U.S of A. Spearheading this FBI operation on the field is Bradley Cooper’s Agent Richie DiMaso, who goes toe-to-toe with the very con artists he enlisted. Among the corrupt politicians being played by all involved; Mayor Carmine Polito (well played by Jeremy Renner) has his heart in the right place but uses the wrong means to go about accomplishing his plans. While all this scamming and “stinging” is going, Jennifer Lawrence’s Rosalyn Rosenfeld, the zany wife of Irving, threatens the whole operation with her jealousy driven antics. I detailed all the major characters, not to fill space or waste time, but to express my appreciation for the characters in this film. A great character is nothing without great performances, and the cast delivers from all angles! If I was to single out any performance it would probably be Bradley Cooper’s eccentric characterization, which was nice comedic work in an already hilarious film. As it stands the ensemble was fantastic, and well guided by director David O. Russell who continues to prove his ability to direct actors. With the multiple narrators to widen the viewer’s perspective, the off-key film editing and the soundtrack, O. Russel may have taken a few too many notes from Scorsese; but it works, it all works well. This approach was a service to the complicated story, which was made into a digestible viewing experience. It also helped in character development; after all, the film was a character study at its heart. With a sound cast and confident direction, this was a wild burst of energy from a filmmaker who is eyeing gold at this year’s awards season. Expand
  77. Jan 27, 2014
    Well i love the cast and have to admit i'm a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence, but can't give this a high score. On the pros; it had an excellent sounds track (especially for baby boomers) and yes much of the cast blended together very well. But on the negative side, i just felt the plot line was a bit tedious and the movie overall felt like it was about 30 min too long.
  78. Jan 27, 2014
    Again, it's David O'Russel that saves this clumsy fairy tale. The cast was OK although i find Bradley Cooper and Jenifer Lawrence very annoying and not interesting in general. I even felt real chemistry between Bale and Adams (and Adams was sooooo beautiful in this film).
  79. Jan 10, 2014
    American Hustle has everything you'd want in a movie -- an interesting plot, a well-crafted film, and great acting. Amy Adams hasn't received much acclaim for her role here, having been largely over-shadowed by Jennifer Lawrence, but there are no weak performances here.
  80. Dec 26, 2013
    Good but not great. Once again the professional critics are star-struck. The acting is fun to watch but the direction and editing are definitely sub-par. Amy Adams' boobs are a metaphor for this film. They are great to look at but they are really just a distraction. I enjoyed it but it's not going to make it to my favorites list. Too long and really not much point to it other thatGood but not great. Once again the professional critics are star-struck. The acting is fun to watch but the direction and editing are definitely sub-par. Amy Adams' boobs are a metaphor for this film. They are great to look at but they are really just a distraction. I enjoyed it but it's not going to make it to my favorites list. Too long and really not much point to it other that watching some of my favorite actors have fun. Expand
  81. Jan 14, 2014
    anybody who is anybody is in this film, so as you might be able to tell my expectations were high, awesome story, the acting was OK, but i still think it lacked something to make it great and i had a difficult time paying attention and keeping up with it, it all comes together in the end though.
  82. Jan 19, 2014
    Best ensemble of the year. Bale, Adams, Cooper, and Lawrence all show how great they are at what they do in a film that tells its story perfectly. The ending was perfect and it still managed to make you laugh many time. Lawrence is Hilarious and was born to act. Great movie, possibly best of the year.
  83. Feb 21, 2014
    A pretty good movie that is a fun ride. The best part of the film is easily the acting by the amazing cast. After seeing it though I would have chosen a couple other movies for the best picture nomination well over this one. I also really think that if the roles were in lesser actors hands I would like the movie a lot less, the cast are a very big part of what made it enjoyable to watch for me.
  84. Jan 30, 2014
    Yeah, this film really derives most of its interest from exposing people to the fashions and foolishness of the seventies and the distorted appearance of Christian Bale. It's mostly made up of insipid characters in a rather far-fetched love triangle and the con plays a secondary role. If it had concentrated more on that, it could have some intrigue. As a comedic Seventies' romp, it wouldYeah, this film really derives most of its interest from exposing people to the fashions and foolishness of the seventies and the distorted appearance of Christian Bale. It's mostly made up of insipid characters in a rather far-fetched love triangle and the con plays a secondary role. If it had concentrated more on that, it could have some intrigue. As a comedic Seventies' romp, it would have possibilities. To take a fine cast, dress them up stupidly and have them dance around in the middle of these two possibilities ends up being a trifle, nothing more. Expand
  85. Jan 26, 2014
    Fun to watch with a great director David O. Russell, phenomenal cast Jennifer Lawrence, Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Louis C.K. and Jeremy Renner, very successful production design, hair styles and costumes.Script may be a little bit weak but they did a great job, especially Jennifer Lawrence as Irving's manic but sexy wife Rosalyn.
  86. Dec 13, 2013
    An acting masterclass delivered by talented cast-amazing direction-High-energy comedy crime film that will catch our heart there is no moment u will not feel dull-it keep u engaged,superb cast-acting-direction-script that made this HUSTLE Ranks with the year's best movies, CHRISTIAN BALE IS VERY DEDICATED ACTOR-I LOVE IT- THIS YEAR HUSTLE WILL ROCK AT OSCAR 2013
  87. Jan 15, 2014
    Bradly Cooper has to be one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood; Few flaws in this movie. The role of the "good" politicians just trying to "help" their communities was foolishly unrealistic
  88. Mar 25, 2014
    Fantastic film! Enjoyed this movie throughly from start to finish! Christian Bale gives a brilliant performance that easily rivals that of his work in Out of the Furnace! He is joined by an incredible supporting cast that includes Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Rehner, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Robert De Niro! All of whom do phenomenal work! Last but definitely not least,Fantastic film! Enjoyed this movie throughly from start to finish! Christian Bale gives a brilliant performance that easily rivals that of his work in Out of the Furnace! He is joined by an incredible supporting cast that includes Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Rehner, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Robert De Niro! All of whom do phenomenal work! Last but definitely not least, the story is incredible! It has an excellent twist at the end that was completely perfect and end up being exactly how you wanted it all to end! Don't listen to the people who tell you this movie is boring, it is truly one of the best films of the year and if you don't give it a chance you will really be doing yourself a disservice! Expand
  89. Aug 26, 2014
    This was another good movie. Christian Bale delivered another solid performance. Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper were good as well but Jennifer Lawrence's performance was outstanding. My favourite part was Bradley Cooper's face coming to the end.
  90. Apr 7, 2014
    I liked this film a lot (at least compared to the other crap in 2013-14). The acting was great. Amy Adams and Christian Bale were very good....you cared about the characters in this movie, which is more than I can say about others (Gravity, Grand Budapest, even Wolf of Wall st). The ending was great too. There was humor interspersed, but not overly done for a drama. I went into thisI liked this film a lot (at least compared to the other crap in 2013-14). The acting was great. Amy Adams and Christian Bale were very good....you cared about the characters in this movie, which is more than I can say about others (Gravity, Grand Budapest, even Wolf of Wall st). The ending was great too. There was humor interspersed, but not overly done for a drama. I went into this with low expectations, thinking it was over-hyped, but I enjoyed it. Better than Wolf of Wall St, which I also enjoyed. Expand
  91. Dec 28, 2013
    A sensationally entertaining film that allows all 5 of its leads to shine (Cooper and Renner are particularly good). There is a moment during the film, a drunken restaurant songfest, when the sheer virtuosity of the storytelling on display here truly hit me.
  92. Mar 12, 2014
    Great Movie, amazing direction and production. Great performances, most notably from Jennifer Lawrence and Christian Bale. Sometimes it gets slow and boring but at last it leads to an incredible plot and an unexpected end. Highly recommended.
  93. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I went to see the film because of the many good reviews. Snucked in a Dominos Pizza and felt lethargic half way through film. Got food poisoning that night.
    Review:
    Pros: General good acting, particularly Lawrence's. Cons: This is a rather slow and miserable film with terrible hair for all the main actors. Cooper's character was a d**k, Bale's was inept,
    Review:
    Pros: General good acting, particularly Lawrence's.
    Cons: This is a rather slow and miserable film with terrible hair for all the main actors. Cooper's character was a d**k, Bale's was inept, Lawrence's was naive and I've never liked Adams's acting ever.
    2/5 - Don't bother.
  94. Jan 28, 2014
    [8.8] This film might prove a bit tedious or underwhelming to those who can't appreciate the nostalgia, but even beyond its impeccable depiction of the late 70's, it's a smart, funny con story, with a solidly entertaining plot, and tremendous characters. Jennifer Lawrence also has a career best performance, and Christian Bale is almost unidentifiable. Louis C.K. also does incredibly well[8.8] This film might prove a bit tedious or underwhelming to those who can't appreciate the nostalgia, but even beyond its impeccable depiction of the late 70's, it's a smart, funny con story, with a solidly entertaining plot, and tremendous characters. Jennifer Lawrence also has a career best performance, and Christian Bale is almost unidentifiable. Louis C.K. also does incredibly well in a dramatic role, and even Amy Adams delivers an unusually great performance (not to say she isn't good in other roles). Despite its few flaws and slight tedium, it's all around a pretty great movie. Expand
  95. Mar 7, 2014
    Going into this movie, I thought with David O. Russell at the helm and the cast he put in place that this was going to be one of the year's best. While a good movie and well acted, this movie had trouble focusing for me and seemed to employ a lot of improv that hurt the overall product.
  96. Jan 19, 2014
    Over hyped by the critics and to many awards/nominations. Lawrence/Adams are amazing! Cooper is Cooper...same character he always plays. I am not a fan of Russel. Great 70 's play-list and costumes.
  97. Feb 7, 2014
    El director David O. Russell está en su estado más puro, primero The Fighter, luego Silver Linings Playbook, ahora es el turno de premiar a American Hustle, por ser valiente y original. La película ofrece una trama completamente original e interesante, y de momentos, muy entretenida diversión con tintes de comedia. La puesta en época es excelente, el vestuario es magistral y merece unEl director David O. Russell está en su estado más puro, primero The Fighter, luego Silver Linings Playbook, ahora es el turno de premiar a American Hustle, por ser valiente y original. La película ofrece una trama completamente original e interesante, y de momentos, muy entretenida diversión con tintes de comedia. La puesta en época es excelente, el vestuario es magistral y merece un Oscar, pero lo mejor de esta película fueron las actuaciones, todas y cada una es perfecta (destaco más sobre Christian Bale y Jennifer Lawrence). Si disfrutas del buen cine o el cine ganador, debes ir corriendo a ver esta película, no los decepcionará. Expand
  98. Dec 16, 2013
    Definitely one of the Best Movie of the year, easily. It was completely different and a nice change from all the drama category. It was entertaining, hilarious and overall engaging film. What really made the movie come alive was the fantastic cast ensemble, from Bradley Cooper to Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence. The cast complemented each other like butter and toast, smooth, silky andDefinitely one of the Best Movie of the year, easily. It was completely different and a nice change from all the drama category. It was entertaining, hilarious and overall engaging film. What really made the movie come alive was the fantastic cast ensemble, from Bradley Cooper to Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence. The cast complemented each other like butter and toast, smooth, silky and sweet. David O. Russell is a great director and writer and deserves to win Original Screenplay and Director. His repertoire definitely puts him in the finest director category along with Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg from his work for "The Three Kings," "The Fighter," and last year's "The Silver Lining's Playbook." Expand
  99. Jan 18, 2014
    I have no idea how this all style, no substance mess has garnered so much acclaim. What a boring film. No stakes, no suspense, poor comedy, and way too much talking. I'm literally baffled by this film.
  100. Ozy
    Jul 11, 2014
    A long and somewhat boring movie with snippets of "fun". Very talky talky and one very hot toilet sex scene - which is about as exciting as the movie got. Great acting by all means. If i got anything from this movie it was that bale can actually act. I didn't know that - good for him.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2013
    Like everyone else in Russell's cast, Lawrence appears to be having a blast in the role. It's downright contagious.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 21, 2013
    A work of tremendous confidence and dazzling showmanship that may just be a delirious movie-as-drug-high or may, if you choose to read it this way, contain a level of commentary about the nature of America and the illusioneering of Hollywood.
    The movie is a slot machine that never stops spitting quarters.