7.5

1. Dec 21, 2013
    You are kidding me. This movie is one of the best? Odds-on favorite for best picture? Who are these professional reviewers? Ahh, yes, they are of that postmodernist breed who like nonsense disguised as cinematic art. Sorry, but this was a mess. To start you had three character narration tracks, Irving, Richie, and Sydney all had their turns--a director's shot at cutting-edgeYou are kidding me. This movie is one of the best? Odds-on favorite for best picture? Who are these professional reviewers? Ahh, yes, they are of that postmodernist breed who like nonsense disguised as cinematic art. Sorry, but this was a mess. To start you had three character narration tracks, Irving, Richie, and Sydney all had their turns--a director's shot at cutting-edge experimentation that was just stupid. Then there was the uneven smattering of Pulp Fiction-like time exploitation which just made it disjointed. The main blight was this now typical fixation with showcasing people doing stunningly insipid things then forcing us to gaze at others trying to cope in wildly emotional ways. This drives me crazy. The attempt at some penetrating authenticity with mere random and painfully distended melodrama was so contrived I just want to puke at the screen. You saw the same thing with Silver Linings Playbook and I hated that movie for the same reason. Yet I keep reading how David O. Russell is so wonderful, so I thought I'd give him another chance and see if this would be different. It wasn't. It gets a "2" rating because it did get tepidly interesting with the mob involvement there for a bit, as well as some of the con artist twists. Other than that, boorishly silly to the hilt Expand
  2. Dec 26, 2013
    The critics that ruined my Christmas. It would have been hard to live up the all the reviews, but this movie was boring. It's not a 1, but certainly not a 10. There was no buzz leaving the theaters, and the discussion in the car was how silly the plot was. The characters would have been better served in a Saturday Night Live skit. They were all kind of over the top and silly.
  3. Feb 23, 2014
    One of the worst films I've seen in theaters. The characters were completely unlikeable, I wasn't sure if I should root for the cop or the crooks, the story was boring and I didn't see a point to Louie CK and Jennifer Lawrence even being there. It seemed like they were there just because they were big names and not because they fit the role.

If it wasn't for Bale and Amy Adams the movie

If it wasn't for Bale and Amy Adams the movie would have been a complete wash. I almost left the theater twice during the movie and I only stayed to find out how it ended for Bale and Adams.
  4. Apr 19, 2014
    Trying to rip off Karen from Goodfellas.....badly! I can't for the life of me understand how this film got such good reviews. Bad. Just BAD.

The plot of this film started as one thing and ended in another but tried to make out a kind of Usual Suspects twist at the end. Rubbish pure rubbish.
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is cynical, vacuous and depressing. The critics are really wrong about this one! The main character is so unlovable. Which is why the ending really irked me. Con-artists don't become good people all of a sudden, and ride off into the sunset enjoying a conventional and moral existence. Yes, perhaps he had some redeeming qualities, but no leopard changes their spots like that. Oh, did I mention that this movie is cynical, vacuous and depressing? Except for the ending, which is just silly. Expand
  6. Mar 26, 2014
    Oh my god!! What a BORING movie!!! I don´t understand what´s the Oscars fuzz about!! Some of the characters are OK, and some even suck. The plot is more of the same, nothing original here. The good things about this are the makeup, clothes, style, and of course Christian Bale´s great performance. The rest of the cast got nothing compared to him. But apart from this, this movie really sucks...
  7. Mar 15, 2014
    What the? Really? I'll make it short.. Overrated beyond belief.. The acting isn't all that and deservedly never won anything at the Oscars. I really don't know what kind of back room deal was going on with the Hollywood clique.. But this is in no way a good film. Waste of time.
  8. Mar 21, 2014
    Sorry, we've been conned, hoodwinked which of course is the film's conceit. A bunch of b-list actors doing a 70s period piece featuring your dad's big-band music and your big brother's pop hits. This looks and feels like a made-for-tv movie from the 70s. I do not know how people sat through this in a theater. Seriously.
  9. Jan 16, 2014
    American Hustle is the only movie I have ever seen where I felt like walking out of the cinema. There were a couple of scenes that made me smile or laugh but overall the whole film was dire, a sort of dull shade of grey and blandness throughout. I can't even put my finger on what was so bad about it I just know I did'nt enjoy it one bit. It kind of reminded me of a Guy Ritchie movie...butAmerican Hustle is the only movie I have ever seen where I felt like walking out of the cinema. There were a couple of scenes that made me smile or laugh but overall the whole film was dire, a sort of dull shade of grey and blandness throughout. I can't even put my finger on what was so bad about it I just know I did'nt enjoy it one bit. It kind of reminded me of a Guy Ritchie movie...but with all the interesting bits taken out. Even the "twist" or "how they did" moment at the end just didnt grab me, it just felt very "oh..." Expand
  10. Jan 14, 2014
    The plot of this film in no way lives up to it's marketing. The acting was excellent, but that ultimately could not sway me from the excruciatingly unrealistic characters, their relationships, and the way they move the plot forward. For a film made to attract audiences that are expecting sex and violence and cliche and humour and drama and cunning... it is a crash and burn failure. No sex.The plot of this film in no way lives up to it's marketing. The acting was excellent, but that ultimately could not sway me from the excruciatingly unrealistic characters, their relationships, and the way they move the plot forward. For a film made to attract audiences that are expecting sex and violence and cliche and humour and drama and cunning... it is a crash and burn failure. No sex. At all. No violence. At all. Little attempt at humour. Honestly, awful film. Expand
  11. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw American Hustle after reading the positive reviews of the Media after all the nominations received for the Oscar Awards but I was very disappointed for the following reasons:
    - the movie tries unsuccessfully to move between comedy and a serious story
    - they said that it was based on a true story Arabscam (or s similar name) but most of the facts seem totally unrealistic and difficult to happen, such as advancing money to receive a loan from UK in the '70 ties or Arabs investing in US in gambling in the same historical period
    - in the movie there are many inconsistencies. For example De Niro discovers that the Arab doesn't understand the arab language and there is no consequence?
    If it is based on a true story I would like to know exactly what happened to see if the erratic behavior of many characters really took place.
    The acting is OK, except for the poor appearence of De Niro but this doesn't seem enough to me to rehabilitate the story and the movie overall
    Roberto Bellei
    Rome Italy
  12. Mar 20, 2014
    I was looking forward to seeing this film for a while but was left very disappointed. I struggled to get through it with boredom. The story seemed forced to me and while the level of acting was good I never got into at all. Expected more from an Oscar nominee.
  13. Mar 30, 2014
    This is the problem that I had with this film, it was utterly boring. The acting was beyond great don't get me wrong, but the movie itself was a total snooze fest! No real memorable scenes in it, except for the ending credits... Look, I don't mean to be so harsh but come on! Some people can agree it wasn't that great of a movie.
  14. Sep 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film convinced me to register here. I just couldn't believe the high average review score. I/10 is harsh but there is no way this is a 7.5, which makes the critic score just ridiculous.

I like the four main characters in their previous work, but my god this was turgid. Cooper, Adams, Lawrence and Bale is pretty much a dream-team cast, but I found myself losing interest well before the end, and generally not caring about what was going to happen.

Where was the danger? The slick voiceovers, quick wit and bizarre costumes created a more comical setting, but apart from the five minutes where De Niro rocks up I never felt that any of the characters were in any danger. Cooper bless him might get his heart broken. Oh well. It's not exactly Joe Pesci's menacing presence.

A bunch of generally unlikeable characters all trying to get one up on each other. Rather than Goodfellas,, this was more like Ocean's Eleven without the charm and twists.
  15. Feb 16, 2014
    The very messy plot should be about a convoluted scam played by a couple of swindlers, “forced” to work for the FBI. The swindlers happen to be Irving (Bale) and Sydney (Adams), also involved in a torrid extramarital affair. Irving is married to Rosalyn (Lawrence) a single mum, whose son he adopted. Like most married men, he stalling divorce because the “child would suffer”.

Irving and

Irving and Sydney get busted by Richie (Cooper) an ambitious FBI agent who forces them to get bigger fish into the agency net. Or, at least this should be the plot, because it gets derailed in all directions, none of which even remotely interesting.

It feels like the whole movie is a scam played on the audience, starting with Lawrence. I understand that she is the present ”Hollywood-IT-hot” girl, but her part is bloated out of proportion, when her character was at best a marginal one.

She is constantly on screen, shouting all her lines and going on endlessly about her relationship with Irving. Who cares? I wanted to see a movie about a hustle, not a dysfunctional couple in action, especially when their dysfunctions are not the core of the plot. We also get plenty of the Sydney-Richie relationship (and again, who cares?)

Everybody is exceedingly verbose, and situations that would require at most 30 seconds of screen time drag on for several minutes. Even considered as a “character study”, the movie still does not work.

Besides, the “moral” of the story is a murky one and an additional joke played on the audience: whoever makes more money (regardless of their methods) is smarter than anybody holding an honest job.
    Corrupted politicians are portrayed as minor offenders, dealing dirty deeds for the good of the community. Richie is played as a fool, while mediocre Irving and Sydney are glorified as first-class tricksters. Even dumb and insufferable Rosalyn gets a happy ending of her own

The best thing about American Hustle is the 70’s atmosphere, with some amazingly tacky clothes and a good soundtrack, but it is definitely not enough to save the movie. Unbelievable to think this mess got 10 Oscars nominations….
  16. Jan 5, 2014
    Thought this film was utter rubbish, yes acting was good but with little plot to go with. Took ages to get going and sadly never did. If this wins any awards I am at a loss as to what people find entertaining
  17. Jan 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A movie perhaps for the bored cinefiles of the world, American Hustle is a convoluted mess with little direction and so much plot that it makes your head spin. It is different, in that David O'Russell way that might have worked for Silver Linings Playbook but fails when it aims for too much. It has some great actors, who give it their all but that doesn't really matter when the audience has no idea of what they're doing or why they're doing it. To give you an idea of what this movie is, I'll say the best part is when Robert De Niro briefly shows up for three minutes and reminds us all of how great Goodfellas and Casino were. For the rest of the movie I sat asking myself a few questions like: What is going on? Shouldn't this be considered entrapment? Man, Amy Adams nipples have been dangerously close to a wardrobe malfunction for like two hours, why does she only wear that one type of v-neck? Seriously, did they just glue her clothes to her nips or something? When will it ever end?'
    The only redeeming factor to this movie is that it's not the typical, it goes its own way and does its own thing and I'll give it props for that. I just don't think American Hustle is an enjoyable movie.
  18. Mar 2, 2014
    The vast majority of critics and (thus?) moviegoers reacted differently, but I actually consider American Hustle to be an effective argument against improvisation in films. Because, whereas I’m a great fan of it when it’s executed amusingly by talented stand-up comedians, unscripted babble can thoroughly blacken a film’s quality – and that’s exactly what happened with this one. Granted, itThe vast majority of critics and (thus?) moviegoers reacted differently, but I actually consider American Hustle to be an effective argument against improvisation in films. Because, whereas I’m a great fan of it when it’s executed amusingly by talented stand-up comedians, unscripted babble can thoroughly blacken a film’s quality – and that’s exactly what happened with this one. Granted, it does have good-looking costumes and set design as well as fine cinematography and editing, and if you find joy in the over the top of over the top portrayal of characters– well, go ahead, watch it. I just think that most of the people claiming to like the film are being overtly pretentious and following critics’ opinions, since American Hustle is a surprisingly boring, annoyingly ridiculous, and not anywhere close to funny film. Expand
  19. Jan 26, 2014
    This movie was a mess. It tried to set up a plot that never ended up happening. The pacing was very slow which would be fine if there was any reward for the two hours of pointlessness required to endure.It wasn't even particularly stylish. On top of that Jennifer Lawrence's accent was absolutely brutal and most of the time non-existent. Metacritic is usually fairly accurate with theirThis movie was a mess. It tried to set up a plot that never ended up happening. The pacing was very slow which would be fine if there was any reward for the two hours of pointlessness required to endure.It wasn't even particularly stylish. On top of that Jennifer Lawrence's accent was absolutely brutal and most of the time non-existent. Metacritic is usually fairly accurate with their scores but this one is miles off. Expand
  20. Feb 2, 2014
    American Hustle is a somewhat uneven movie with disappointing and entertaining parts. The movie sagged in the middle with a tangled plot. Performances were generally good, although some seemed like a rehash from last year's Silver Linings Playbook. Overall, American Hustle is not a particularly memorable movie.
  21. Jan 10, 2014
    I just dont get the critics rave reviews. I thought it had an unoriginal scripts with poorly written characters and even poorer dialogue. Stuffing a film with big name movie starts seems to be inversely related to how good the film is.
    None of it was believable - the romantic interludes didn't work as all characters involved were unlovable. One cop battering another cop with a phone to get arrests - nah.
    Not a good film.
  22. Jan 12, 2014
    I agree with the other reviewers who found this film profoundly boring. I couldn't make it even half-way through before walking out. I also felt it was trying so hard to be another Good Fellas but it didn't come close. In one scene, they showed the outside of the Chelsea Hotel in NYC and then they cut to an interior shot, presumably inside that hotel. They made it look like a nice hotel. II agree with the other reviewers who found this film profoundly boring. I couldn't make it even half-way through before walking out. I also felt it was trying so hard to be another Good Fellas but it didn't come close. In one scene, they showed the outside of the Chelsea Hotel in NYC and then they cut to an interior shot, presumably inside that hotel. They made it look like a nice hotel. I can vouch that the Chelsea Hotel was a fleabag hotel in the late 70s because I stayed there for one night in 1980. We couldn't stand more than one night and scrambled to a safer, cleaner hotel for the rest of our stay.

Bottom line: Save your money
  23. Jan 12, 2014
    There's no denying the acting chops of Bale, Adams & Lawrence. However, that their talents were put to the service of this absolute mess of a "story" is a misfortune for them, the entire viewing audience - and especially these actors' fans. I lasted 65 minutes. As my stomach began to churn with more agitation, I chose to walk out - and was happy to do so. I read the rest of the plotThere's no denying the acting chops of Bale, Adams & Lawrence. However, that their talents were put to the service of this absolute mess of a "story" is a misfortune for them, the entire viewing audience - and especially these actors' fans. I lasted 65 minutes. As my stomach began to churn with more agitation, I chose to walk out - and was happy to do so. I read the rest of the plot details at Wikipedia and apparently the mess I saw only got much worse. My dissatisfaction is not just personal, but for all of us in the movie-viewing public, that we should be offered as entertainment a made-up tale of moral recklessness. Expand
  24. Apr 2, 2014
    I came in to this movie thinking I was going to see a real badass gangster movie about hustlers. can't give more then 0 because I couldn't finish it. This is the story of a pathetic man that robs people of 5000 dollars, in my eyes this isn't a hustler. Bad title, bad story and just overall bad, can't seem to find the reason this movie gets a score that high from critics, together withI came in to this movie thinking I was going to see a real badass gangster movie about hustlers. can't give more then 0 because I couldn't finish it. This is the story of a pathetic man that robs people of 5000 dollars, in my eyes this isn't a hustler. Bad title, bad story and just overall bad, can't seem to find the reason this movie gets a score that high from critics, together with frozen probably the most misleading scores of critics this year, can't finish either movie and they have more then 7? everyone has a right to an opinion but this 10? What, you people have not seen any movie the past 10 years? Just watch silver linings playbook, a lot of the same actors, 10x better story (and I don't like romantic movies!!), IN WHAT WORLD WOULD THIS MOVIE BE WORTHY OF AN OSCAR? Even 47 ronin was more entertaining and man that movie sucked, but at least I could finish it Expand
  25. Dec 31, 2013
    My comment is also in the red zone. I thought AH was a very bad rip off of Goodfellas-but with no humor, no likable characters, no attractiveness in any of the characters (not actual actors) save a few scenes with Jennifer Lawrence who wasn't given much in the way of dialogue to work with. I was hoping there would be a great soundtrack to at least jump us from scene to scene, but thatMy comment is also in the red zone. I thought AH was a very bad rip off of Goodfellas-but with no humor, no likable characters, no attractiveness in any of the characters (not actual actors) save a few scenes with Jennifer Lawrence who wasn't given much in the way of dialogue to work with. I was hoping there would be a great soundtrack to at least jump us from scene to scene, but that wasn't even included as promised. It was just too cold outside and too late at night to motivate my daughter or myself to get up and face the freezing walk to the car, so we stayed "hoping for a moment that just don't come" I didn't believe the plot, the dialogue, the characters..it just seemed like the most contrived attempt at art I've seen in a long time. I would have been better off watching the alleged porn in the next theater aka Wolf of Wall Street. Bummer! Expand
  26. Jan 4, 2014
    Did not live up to the hype. If you liked Silver Linings Playbook (I'm sorry for you if you did), and are a Jennifer Lawrence fan you'll probably like this movie. If, like myself, you do not find yourself in that camp, American Hustle is not worth your time. Unmemorable plot and characters, passably acted at best, and slow (oh god is it slow). Upsides are Christian Bale's performanceDid not live up to the hype. If you liked Silver Linings Playbook (I'm sorry for you if you did), and are a Jennifer Lawrence fan you'll probably like this movie. If, like myself, you do not find yourself in that camp, American Hustle is not worth your time. Unmemorable plot and characters, passably acted at best, and slow (oh god is it slow). Upsides are Christian Bale's performance (funny, nuanced, highly-committed) and the soundtrack. Expand
  27. Cik
    Jan 26, 2014
    Linear, predictable and mundane move. Maybe, maybe a decent rental, but not a rewarding movie at all, and certainly any comparisons to Pulp Fiction are grossly exaggerated.
  28. Feb 11, 2014
    David. O Russell thinks he is a better director than he really is, and this movie is the biggest evidence of this. The only notable is Amy Adam's performance, but American Hustle is in my opinion a boring, superficial and totally overrated film.
  29. Jan 16, 2014
    I'm really disappointed, the movie is boring and confusing at some points. I expected so much more, the trailer looked so cool and funny and the end was really flat. So Overrated.
  30. BKM
    Jan 9, 2014
    I've never been a huge fan of David O. Russel's films, but this one was a complete mess in spite of the top shelf talent involved. The narrative felt clunky and unfocused and the performances seemed hammy and over the top. Only Louis C.K., in a small role as one of the few sane characters in this overstuffed pinata, generated any laughs. One of the most overrated awards season filmsI've never been a huge fan of David O. Russel's films, but this one was a complete mess in spite of the top shelf talent involved. The narrative felt clunky and unfocused and the performances seemed hammy and over the top. Only Louis C.K., in a small role as one of the few sane characters in this overstuffed pinata, generated any laughs. One of the most overrated awards season films I've seen in a long time. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2013
    Like everyone else in Russell's cast, Lawrence appears to be having a blast in the role. It's downright contagious.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 21, 2013
    A work of tremendous confidence and dazzling showmanship that may just be a delirious movie-as-drug-high or may, if you choose to read it this way, contain a level of commentary about the nature of America and the illusioneering of Hollywood.
    The movie is a slot machine that never stops spitting quarters.