7.5

1. Jul 25, 2014
    Unoriginal, unfunny,unengaging , uninteresting, unentertaining, self obsessed, super pretentious and absolutely boring. The oscar wining the sting meets goodfellas/casino and cast Robert DeNiro to insult the injury.

We see Christian Blair doing his hair in the opening scene and this is the point where the film loses the connection with its audience and proves that " the look" is so
    important. This is why we see the 70s hair do, fashion and music all the way through film but hey Who cares the plot?

Some of the audience might have loved the film's charm.However ,it is a 20 minute too long and empty film in the end.
  2. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I went to see the film because of the many good reviews. Snucked in a Dominos Pizza and felt lethargic half way through film. Got food poisoning that night.
    Review:
    Pros: General good acting, particularly Lawrence's.
    Cons: This is a rather slow and miserable film with terrible hair for all the main actors. Cooper's character was a d**k, Bale's was inept,
    Lawrence's was naive and I've never liked Adams's acting ever.
    2/5 - Don't bother.
  3. May 16, 2014
    I had high hopes for this film, I decided not to bother reading the reviews, what a mistake that was!!! While its not one of the worst films I've ever watched it was close! Over two hours of my life I'll never get back. The pacing was terrible, after about 30 minutes I found myself wanting the film to end, I would have turned it off if I didn't have company. Even Amy Adams obvious talents did nothing to improve my opinion of this film, and Christian Bale was about as far away from the Batman trilogy as is humanly possible!!

Do yourself a favour and don't buy this, wait until its on TV. I wish I had read the reviews before buying this film.
  4. May 3, 2014
    Once again the movie critics prove how little they know about what goes into making a great movie. Yes, the movie had incredible acting and the setting was founded upon detail after detail. However, does entertainment value mean nothing? I'm sorry but I was to enjoy my moviegoing experience, not be bored out of my mind while I acknowledge that Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress. Honestly, the only things redeemable about this movie were Lawrence and Bradley Cooper's insane yet fantastic performances and Amy Adams relentless cleavage and side-boob. None of the characters are likable in any way and the plot drags and is annoying. The acting and the well detailed setting are worthwhile but the rest of the film is not. Expand
  5. Apr 19, 2014
    Trying to rip off Karen from Goodfellas.....badly! I can't for the life of me understand how this film got such good reviews. Bad. Just BAD.

The plot of this film started as one thing and ended in another but tried to make out a kind of Usual Suspects twist at the end. Rubbish pure rubbish.
  6. Apr 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is cynical, vacuous and depressing. The critics are really wrong about this one! The main character is so unlovable. Which is why the ending really irked me. Con-artists don't become good people all of a sudden, and ride off into the sunset enjoying a conventional and moral existence. Yes, perhaps he had some redeeming qualities, but no leopard changes their spots like that. Oh, did I mention that this movie is cynical, vacuous and depressing? Except for the ending, which is just silly. Expand
  7. Apr 2, 2014
    I came in to this movie thinking I was going to see a real badass gangster movie about hustlers. can't give more then 0 because I couldn't finish it. This is the story of a pathetic man that robs people of 5000 dollars, in my eyes this isn't a hustler. Bad title, bad story and just overall bad, can't seem to find the reason this movie gets a score that high from critics, together with frozen probably the most misleading scores of critics this year, can't finish either movie and they have more then 7? everyone has a right to an opinion but this 10? What, you people have not seen any movie the past 10 years? Just watch silver linings playbook, a lot of the same actors, 10x better story (and I don't like romantic movies!!), IN WHAT WORLD WOULD THIS MOVIE BE WORTHY OF AN OSCAR? Even 47 ronin was more entertaining and man that movie sucked, but at least I could finish it Expand
  8. Mar 30, 2014
    This is the problem that I had with this film, it was utterly boring. The acting was beyond great don't get me wrong, but the movie itself was a total snooze fest! No real memorable scenes in it, except for the ending credits... Look, I don't mean to be so harsh but come on! Some people can agree it wasn't that great of a movie.
  9. Mar 26, 2014
    Oh my god!! What a BORING movie!!! I don´t understand what´s the Oscars fuzz about!! Some of the characters are OK, and some even suck. The plot is more of the same, nothing original here. The good things about this are the makeup, clothes, style, and of course Christian Bale´s great performance. The rest of the cast got nothing compared to him. But apart from this, this movie really sucks...
  10. Mar 21, 2014
    Sorry, we've been conned, hoodwinked which of course is the film's conceit. A bunch of b-list actors doing a 70s period piece featuring your dad's big-band music and your big brother's pop hits. This looks and feels like a made-for-tv movie from the 70s. I do not know how people sat through this in a theater. Seriously.
  11. Mar 20, 2014
    I was looking forward to seeing this film for a while but was left very disappointed. I struggled to get through it with boredom. The story seemed forced to me and while the level of acting was good I never got into at all. Expected more from an Oscar nominee.
  12. Mar 15, 2014
    What the? Really? I'll make it short.. Overrated beyond belief.. The acting isn't all that and deservedly never won anything at the Oscars. I really don't know what kind of back room deal was going on with the Hollywood clique.. But this is in no way a good film. Waste of time.
  13. Mar 13, 2014
    Great acting but very poor story line, difficult to follow and left you feeling empty at the end. It got high critic reviews but honestly, I think the NY Post review was spot on.
  14. Mar 10, 2014
    Good actors, poor story, extremely boring movie. They could make the ending brilliant by saying something like "And then he found a five dollar bill!"
  15. Mar 3, 2014
    Jesus did someone actually compare this to Good Fellas now that's the best joke iv heard all year. Is this what is seen as a great movie, it reminds me of bad improve acting classes where actors we all have seen in a million other movies talking crap. Its too long as well. Avoid
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    The vast majority of critics and (thus?) moviegoers reacted differently, but I actually consider American Hustle to be an effective argument against improvisation in films. Because, whereas I’m a great fan of it when it’s executed amusingly by talented stand-up comedians, unscripted babble can thoroughly blacken a film’s quality – and that’s exactly what happened with this one. Granted, it does have good-looking costumes and set design as well as fine cinematography and editing, and if you find joy in the over the top of over the top portrayal of characters– well, go ahead, watch it. I just think that most of the people claiming to like the film are being overtly pretentious and following critics’ opinions, since American Hustle is a surprisingly boring, annoyingly ridiculous, and not anywhere close to funny film. Expand
  17. Feb 23, 2014
    One of the worst films I've seen in theaters. The characters were completely unlikeable, I wasn't sure if I should root for the cop or the crooks, the story was boring and I didn't see a point to Louie CK and Jennifer Lawrence even being there. It seemed like they were there just because they were big names and not because they fit the role.

If it wasn't for Bale and Amy Adams the movie
    would have been a complete wash. I almost left the theater twice during the movie and I only stayed to find out how it ended for Bale and Adams. Expand
  18. Feb 16, 2014
    The very messy plot should be about a convoluted scam played by a couple of swindlers, “forced” to work for the FBI. The swindlers happen to be Irving (Bale) and Sydney (Adams), also involved in a torrid extramarital affair. Irving is married to Rosalyn (Lawrence) a single mum, whose son he adopted. Like most married men, he stalling divorce because the “child would suffer”.

Irving and
    Sydney get busted by Richie (Cooper) an ambitious FBI agent who forces them to get bigger fish into the agency net. Or, at least this should be the plot, because it gets derailed in all directions, none of which even remotely interesting.

It feels like the whole movie is a scam played on the audience, starting with Lawrence. I understand that she is the present ”Hollywood-IT-hot” girl, but her part is bloated out of proportion, when her character was at best a marginal one.

She is constantly on screen, shouting all her lines and going on endlessly about her relationship with Irving. Who cares? I wanted to see a movie about a hustle, not a dysfunctional couple in action, especially when their dysfunctions are not the core of the plot. We also get plenty of the Sydney-Richie relationship (and again, who cares?)

Everybody is exceedingly verbose, and situations that would require at most 30 seconds of screen time drag on for several minutes. Even considered as a “character study”, the movie still does not work.

Besides, the “moral” of the story is a murky one and an additional joke played on the audience: whoever makes more money (regardless of their methods) is smarter than anybody holding an honest job.
    Corrupted politicians are portrayed as minor offenders, dealing dirty deeds for the good of the community. Richie is played as a fool, while mediocre Irving and Sydney are glorified as first-class tricksters. Even dumb and insufferable Rosalyn gets a happy ending of her own

The best thing about American Hustle is the 70’s atmosphere, with some amazingly tacky clothes and a good soundtrack, but it is definitely not enough to save the movie. Unbelievable to think this mess got 10 Oscars nominations….
  19. Feb 11, 2014
    David. O Russell thinks he is a better director than he really is, and this movie is the biggest evidence of this. The only notable is Amy Adam's performance, but American Hustle is in my opinion a boring, superficial and totally overrated film.
  20. Feb 8, 2014
    I can't help but see this as the most overrated film of 2013. The acting, cinematography, and soundtrack is good...but the script is not even half as clever as it thinks it is, the plot is so scattered it feels like a schizophrenic leprechaun on LSD wrote it, and director David O. Russel just seems so lost in his own recent success that he feels like he can push all of the boundaries he wants and get applauded for it. Sadly that last part seems basically true. I'm all for movies that break traditional molds and delve deep into the bizarre and contradictory rawness of human thoughts and emotions, but this just made me feel sick and confused. There is no structure at all, while this is clearly intentional, it doesn't work for me. Plus the movie isn't funny enough to be a comedy, it isn't engaging enough to be a romance, and it isn't interesting enough to be a drama, leaving it stuck in some sort of genre-limbo. That isn't even touching on the extreme overuse of narration to explain the characters feelings, the fact that the actual problem of the movie is completely ambiguous until the end of the second act, and the absence any real protagonist to care about or find fascinating. Expand
  21. Feb 2, 2014
    American Hustle is a somewhat uneven movie with disappointing and entertaining parts. The movie sagged in the middle with a tangled plot. Performances were generally good, although some seemed like a rehash from last year's Silver Linings Playbook. Overall, American Hustle is not a particularly memorable movie.
  22. Jan 29, 2014
    Buyer beware. This is more of a rom com than a hustle flick.

Not what it says on the tin, and for that I feel utterly scammed. If Romance isn't your thing, don't touch this with a 6 foot pole.

A few points for the 70s costumes, Christian's Bale unrecognizable character, and the thrashy wife, superbly played by Jennifer Lawrence.
  23. Jan 26, 2014
    This movie was a mess. It tried to set up a plot that never ended up happening. The pacing was very slow which would be fine if there was any reward for the two hours of pointlessness required to endure.It wasn't even particularly stylish. On top of that Jennifer Lawrence's accent was absolutely brutal and most of the time non-existent. Metacritic is usually fairly accurate with their scores but this one is miles off. Expand
  24. Cik
    Jan 26, 2014
    Linear, predictable and mundane move. Maybe, maybe a decent rental, but not a rewarding movie at all, and certainly any comparisons to Pulp Fiction are grossly exaggerated.
  25. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw American Hustle after reading the positive reviews of the Media after all the nominations received for the Oscar Awards but I was very disappointed for the following reasons:
    - the movie tries unsuccessfully to move between comedy and a serious story
    - they said that it was based on a true story Arabscam (or s similar name) but most of the facts seem totally unrealistic and difficult to happen, such as advancing money to receive a loan from UK in the '70 ties or Arabs investing in US in gambling in the same historical period
    - in the movie there are many inconsistencies. For example De Niro discovers that the Arab doesn't understand the arab language and there is no consequence?
    If it is based on a true story I would like to know exactly what happened to see if the erratic behavior of many characters really took place.
    The acting is OK, except for the poor appearence of De Niro but this doesn't seem enough to me to rehabilitate the story and the movie overall
    Roberto Bellei
    Rome Italy
  26. Jan 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A movie perhaps for the bored cinefiles of the world, American Hustle is a convoluted mess with little direction and so much plot that it makes your head spin. It is different, in that David O'Russell way that might have worked for Silver Linings Playbook but fails when it aims for too much. It has some great actors, who give it their all but that doesn't really matter when the audience has no idea of what they're doing or why they're doing it. To give you an idea of what this movie is, I'll say the best part is when Robert De Niro briefly shows up for three minutes and reminds us all of how great Goodfellas and Casino were. For the rest of the movie I sat asking myself a few questions like: What is going on? Shouldn't this be considered entrapment? Man, Amy Adams nipples have been dangerously close to a wardrobe malfunction for like two hours, why does she only wear that one type of v-neck? Seriously, did they just glue her clothes to her nips or something? When will it ever end?'
    The only redeeming factor to this movie is that it's not the typical, it goes its own way and does its own thing and I'll give it props for that. I just don't think American Hustle is an enjoyable movie.
  27. Jan 22, 2014
    This movie is so overrated. It is not funny nor the story is interesting. I have no clue why it is considered to be so good. It deserves 5/10 at most.
  28. Jan 22, 2014
    This film got nothing new for the ones who commonly watch movies at all. Big Hollywood cliché. Slow-motion desnecessarily, characters with no sympathy and not "deep" enough, script with no originality... The only thing I can say is positive about this is the envolvement with the main (Bale, Amy Adams, Cooper and J. Lawrence characters) just it. And probably this piece of s**t will win some Academy Award. Shameful... Expand
  29. Jan 19, 2014
    The film is chalk full of good performances, too bad they’re drowned out by weak storytelling, blathering dialog and an unsure sense of style.
    Bale, Cooper, Adams, Lawrence, Renner and the rest all give solid performances. Bale as the self-assured conman is as usual, methodical in his performance. Cooper is rightly over the top in his role as the overly self-involved FBI agent. Adams is
    rock solid, albeit Russell and the wardrobe department seem to think her cleavage should have top billing. Lawrence does her Silver Linings shtick and does it really well. Renner is wonderfully charismatic as the naïve corrupt mayor. And yet all these parts do not add up to a great or even a good movie.
    The poor storytelling that is on display in this film well, it wastes all the strength of its performances. The film is merely a series of events strung together to deliver the semblance of a story. The film starts of quickly enough, but quickly spirals out of control as the narration speeds through events and character development from one set piece to the next. The audience has no time to breathe or take in any of the atmosphere that Russell rushes through on his way to fill the tale with detail. Characters are introduced and then promptly discarded as if they were nothing more than set pieces (poor Michael Pena). Major events are set up that have the pacing of a teledrama, like the documentaries on crime you see while skipping through the history channel in the morning, albeit with a few **** more. It’s such a flurrying buzz of events and information presented in a disorganized fashion that by the end you’re not entirely sure what you’ve just sat through. Sure the story is all their, the pieces fit, but the elegance of the man who brought us The Fighter, Three Kings and such is nowhere to be seen. The narration does not help things, there are three different narrations and their used in an ad hoc manner as if they weren’t sure whether to use them or not, so instead they cut it down and sprinkled it down at random points throughout the film. All this combines to create an environment where even a great performance is easily lost to sloppy filmmaking. By mid-way through the film you realize, that you might be more interested in reading the Wikipedia article about the Abscam then actually finishing this meandering film.
    Lawrence’s manic energy is drowned out to make room for as much story as possible. Her character has no moments of connection; she is all energy all the time. There is no respite from her whimsy, she exits only to do bafflingly stupid things and is given no redemptive qualities. Lawrence does her best, and I can imagine a lot of her performance was left on the cutting room floor, but she can’t get over the fact that her character is nothing more than a means to an end, like the car that gets them from point A to point B. Renner fares little better as the nice but naïve mayor. His character is made to look like such an oaf you begin to wonder how he ever became a mayor of anything. These two are the main supporting cast so if they’re treated like furniture, imagine how the third tier cast is treated.
    Cooper and Bale are good in their roles, but their resolved to acting out specific scenes that rarely tie into the previous one. This makes it seem as if their performances are uneven and at time all over the place. By the end of it, the two seem to blend in as almost one character that could be interchangeable were it not for the hair styles. Russell should’ve look to The Town to see how it is that a film makes a clean cop look like the bad guy.
    Adams on the other hand is evidently trying and the camera pays her a lot of attention. Wait no sorry my mistake, it pays her breasts a lot of attention. Apparently the films wardrobe didn’t allow for a dress or shirt that didn’t show of her mammary glands. In a film like this, this kind of attire distracts from the performance, which I think was pretty good, but thanks to the camera’s constant focus on her **** or hair I can’t be sure. In fact this brings up a great way to Segway to the next point.
    With films dull, textbook like narrative structure one might be prone to dose of or possibly even turn of the movie and save yourself at least one hour that this movie robs you of. In my case that wasn’t the case, I strove to finish it even as my brain screamed at me to just read the Wikipedia article to see what happens. Thankfully I stayed which allowed me to experience the good part of the film. No not the end, that was just as boring as the start. No, I talk of the technical side and visual style of the film. The camera work is fantastic. As the camera flows and weaves through each set piece, it’s almost like floating through the film on a cloud. You find yourself ignoring the blathering dialogue and enjoying the picturesque view of the film.
    The art deco and cinematography both do a wonderful job, even if they falter once or twice. The glitz and glamour of the Abscam world is brought to vibrant light as the characters navigate their harrowing odyssey. The disco scene in particular is stunning to behold. The colours, the movement, the sound all match up perfectly. They almost make you forget that you’re watching a **** film. The only odd part about the deco style of the film is when they try to throw in some gritty realism. It instantly looks out of place and knocks you from the daze. The start of the disco scene is a prime example of this. It’s as if they are trying to be an ode to seventies style fog machine but winds up looking cheap.
    All said and done, the film is really just a montage of events padded to a two plus hour’s length. That or the film is really three hours long and was cut down without care for structure or pacing. The performances are good, but they are good enough to overlook the storytelling problems that painfully populate the screen. A film with tons of stuff happening, but lacking in tension. The Globes and the Academy might be giving Russell a pass, by I sure as hell won’t. But hey, at least it looks pretty.
    Oh and it has a pretty decent soundtrack.
  30. Jan 18, 2014
    I have no idea how this all style, no substance mess has garnered so much acclaim. What a boring film. No stakes, no suspense, poor comedy, and way too much talking. I'm literally baffled by this film.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2013
    Like everyone else in Russell's cast, Lawrence appears to be having a blast in the role. It's downright contagious.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 21, 2013
    A work of tremendous confidence and dazzling showmanship that may just be a delirious movie-as-drug-high or may, if you choose to read it this way, contain a level of commentary about the nature of America and the illusioneering of Hollywood.
    The movie is a slot machine that never stops spitting quarters.