7.5

1. Oct 18, 2014
    To be 100% honest i watched this film with family members on the off chance that it may be ok. I had avoided watching it since its release because i wouldnt be assed with another "wolf of wall street" copy.

When i actually watched the film it was both original and entertaining. Its really not what i expected and it really captured my imagination. The soundtrack alone spoke to me
    (pretentious some may say) but i really fell in love with this film because of the latter. The story isnt the most original in the world but they make the best of it and it kept me hooked. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys seeing the bad guy win and can relate to sin ;) Expand
  2. Sep 29, 2014
    It is something out of the common. 'American Hustle' turns out to be my top favorite of the year-maybe of ALL time. It is great! Uncommonly hilarious and contagious. The best picture of 2013!
  3. Sep 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film convinced me to register here. I just couldn't believe the high average review score. I/10 is harsh but there is no way this is a 7.5, which makes the critic score just ridiculous.

I like the four main characters in their previous work, but my god this was turgid. Cooper, Adams, Lawrence and Bale is pretty much a dream-team cast, but I found myself losing interest well before the end, and generally not caring about what was going to happen.

Where was the danger? The slick voiceovers, quick wit and bizarre costumes created a more comical setting, but apart from the five minutes where De Niro rocks up I never felt that any of the characters were in any danger. Cooper bless him might get his heart broken. Oh well. It's not exactly Joe Pesci's menacing presence.

A bunch of generally unlikeable characters all trying to get one up on each other. Rather than Goodfellas,, this was more like Ocean's Eleven without the charm and twists.
  4. Sep 20, 2014
    A con artist and his con artist mistress, being blackmailed, after being caught conning, to con an unsuspecting politician in the hopes of catching the big time cons – this is the plot of American Hustle.

Richie DiMaso is the FBI agent, hungry to make a name for himself, not happy with catching two small time crooks, Sydney Prosser (Lady Edith Greensley) and Irving Rosenfeld. Instead he
    uses these con artists to help him catch more in exchange for immunity from their crimes, continually upping the stakes. Not satisfied until he has several politicians and the mob within his reach.

David O. Russell reminds me of the directors of the past that had a reliable inner circle of actors he recycled over and over in movies – clearly favoring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Both talented actors who seem miscast in their roles as neither are able to fully become their characters. You, as the viewer, can’t help shake that it is Bradley Cooper being the hungry FBI agent Richie DiMaso and Jennifer Lawrence pretending to be the unstable wife Rosalyn Rosenfeld, the latter being far worse than the former.

Amy Adams’ multilayered portrayal of the master con artist manipulator Sydney Prosser (aka Edith) steals the show in the role. Unfortunately, this is not particularly difficult given her costars’ performances. The character development is there for all roles, but just not brought to life. Better equipped, though lesser known, actors would have elevated this movie to a point where it was a runaway for the Oscars.

I was absolutely charmed by the costume design by Michael Wilkinson and believe that his innate ability in capturing the late 1970’s helps captivate the audience, drawing them into this comedic drama. I am sure true fashionistas knowledgeable in style trends will point out flaws but the polyester clad bodies, exposed chests and prevalent curlers will be awesome fun for the ignorant viewer.

All in all, it is a fun movie filled with good music and an entertaining story line as you root for unlikely con artist protagonists. Hoping they get out unscathed for their ‘happily ever after’.

More reviews of recent releases at our website!
  5. Sep 17, 2014
    David O. Russell has really grown on me as a director. I have only seen four of his films now--Three Kings, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook and now this--but they have been four of the most intriguing American films of the past fifteen years. If he is patient, keeps up his writing and directing prowess and continues to develop the fine talent pool that obviously enjoys working for him, it's only a matter of time before he's making acceptance speeches in the Kodak Theatre some Sunday evening in February in the not-too-distant future. Expand
  6. Sep 2, 2014
    Another incredible ensemble from David O. Russell. He's once again taken a dark theme and somehow made it comedic. I applaud David O. Russell and his wonderful cast of bandits. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence once again prove their worthiness.
  7. Aug 26, 2014
    This was another good movie. Christian Bale delivered another solid performance. Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper were good as well but Jennifer Lawrence's performance was outstanding. My favourite part was Bradley Cooper's face coming to the end.
  8. Aug 8, 2014
    David O. Russell has once again proves himself of how to direct a good film. It is the brilliant movie ever since Silver Linings Playbook with Cooper and Lawrence. With Bale and Adams, the movie brings stimulating performances and interlectuall dialogue by the actors and the filmmakers to bring this movie into real life.
  9. Jul 25, 2014
    American Hustle es, sin dudas, otro gran éxito del buen director David O. Russel, ya que el el film no solo cuenta con buenas actuaciones, buena dirección, buen montaje, buen vestuario, entre otros., si no que también ofrece una historia interesante y muy bien hecha.
  10. Jul 25, 2014
    Unoriginal, unfunny,unengaging , uninteresting, unentertaining, self obsessed, super pretentious and absolutely boring. The oscar wining the sting meets goodfellas/casino and cast Robert DeNiro to insult the injury.

We see Christian Blair doing his hair in the opening scene and this is the point where the film loses the connection with its audience and proves that " the look" is so
    important. This is why we see the 70s hair do, fashion and music all the way through film but hey Who cares the plot?

Some of the audience might have loved the film's charm.However ,it is a 20 minute too long and empty film in the end.
  11. Jul 19, 2014
    Uno de los mejores trabajos de David O. Rusell, si no, hasta el mejor, artisticamente una maravilla para vista, y con interpretaciones magnificas por parte de todo el elenco.
  12. Jul 13, 2014
    I'm just scratching my head looking at these comments complaining how silly and over the top everything was.
    Um, you people are aware this is a comedy, right? In the words of the Joker: "Why so serious?"
  13. Ozy
    Jul 11, 2014
    A long and somewhat boring movie with snippets of "fun". Very talky talky and one very hot toilet sex scene - which is about as exciting as the movie got. Great acting by all means. If i got anything from this movie it was that bale can actually act. I didn't know that - good for him.
  14. Jul 4, 2014
    "American Hustle" is a very talky film - I think that's why many audiences have disliked it. However, that is exactly why I liked it, because it gave all the characters more developed personalities than we usually see in the movies. The use of the 70s music was also excellent. The ending wasn't really that good; from a movie that is about a HUSTLE, I expect more HUSTLING. Still, the movie is super-solid, though. An award-show bait, but still solid. Expand
  15. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I went to see the film because of the many good reviews. Snucked in a Dominos Pizza and felt lethargic half way through film. Got food poisoning that night.
    Review:
    Pros: General good acting, particularly Lawrence's.
    Cons: This is a rather slow and miserable film with terrible hair for all the main actors. Cooper's character was a d**k, Bale's was inept,
    Lawrence's was naive and I've never liked Adams's acting ever.
    2/5 - Don't bother.
  16. Jun 7, 2014
    David O. Russel is back and this time its for American Hustle. With famous stars such as Bale, Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Renner this movie is deemed for greatness. With a jazzy powerful script and actors that transformed themselves into their roles this truly makes for a great movie. You are left speechless at the amazing script and plot and when the end of this movie happens you will be struck with awe at how well of an overall movie this is. I truly think this movie deserved Best Picture at The Oscars 2013... 10/10 Expand
  17. Jun 4, 2014
    Great actors, not a bad story. But the movie just didn't flow for me, about 3/4 of the way. I totally lost interest. That's not a good sign! the movie overall is a 5 out of 10. I already forgot about it
  18. Jun 1, 2014
    A whole bunch of good actors playing interesting characters with clear motivation. I've read that the director cared about the characters more than about the story, so he let them improvise, and that's really great! The story is pretty slow though and some interesting events start to happen only in the second half of the movie.
  19. May 25, 2014
    From David O. Russell the director of The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook brings us a "some what true stroy" of A FBI operation that took place in the late 1970's to early 80s. Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Adams) are two con artist that end up being forced to work for the FBI (Cooper) to help them set up a operation to take down all the corrupt politicians and mayor of New Jersey. The cast is amazing of course with all these stars it would be hard for a movie not be great. The Dialog was fantastic it felt real and that's when you know there is good chemistry between all the actors.

Overall though the movie was too bloated for me it felt like the whole time it was one step forward two steps back. A lot of scenes that you can tell have nothing to do with the story other then just to have more character drama. The ending was great though maybe if the movie was about 10-15 minutes shorter then it could have been something great. I give it a 7.3 I don't see how the film is being loved so much people need to get past the eye candy look through all the BS filler and see what the movie really is.
  20. May 24, 2014
    Good acting but I just could not get into this movie, I felt bored for most of the first half. I didn't really know why they were doing what they were doing. Story felt pretty bland even though it was based on a true story I just couldn't get into this movie. I didn't hate this movie by any means but I don't know why it got all the praise it did. I'm glad it did not win any Oscars as it was not deserving of any. Expand
  21. May 16, 2014
    I had high hopes for this film, I decided not to bother reading the reviews, what a mistake that was!!! While its not one of the worst films I've ever watched it was close! Over two hours of my life I'll never get back. The pacing was terrible, after about 30 minutes I found myself wanting the film to end, I would have turned it off if I didn't have company. Even Amy Adams obvious talents did nothing to improve my opinion of this film, and Christian Bale was about as far away from the Batman trilogy as is humanly possible!!

Do yourself a favour and don't buy this, wait until its on TV. I wish I had read the reviews before buying this film.
  22. May 9, 2014
    Beautifully striking movie that David O. Russel manages to pull off but he's not the only one you should be giving credit to. The acting that Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Bale use to reinforce such strong acting and writing make this movie a thrill to watch.
  23. May 8, 2014
    There wasn't much of a storyline, and that's the film's fatal flaw, but "American Hustle" was an undeniable extravaganza of a film. Director David O. Russell deserves credit for his exuberant, striking evocation of the glitz and glamour '70s. The acting was superb all round: I particularly enjoyed Bradley Cooper, who made for an excellent sleazebag FBI agent. It may have been a massive exercise in style over substance, but it was an entertaining one. Expand
  24. May 6, 2014
    Critics are wrong sometimes but why do they thought this film terrific, this film is bad, tge unic thing that saves this film are the actings and im not talking about the not so good at this film jennifer lawrence.
  25. May 3, 2014
    Once again the movie critics prove how little they know about what goes into making a great movie. Yes, the movie had incredible acting and the setting was founded upon detail after detail. However, does entertainment value mean nothing? I'm sorry but I was to enjoy my moviegoing experience, not be bored out of my mind while I acknowledge that Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress. Honestly, the only things redeemable about this movie were Lawrence and Bradley Cooper's insane yet fantastic performances and Amy Adams relentless cleavage and side-boob. None of the characters are likable in any way and the plot drags and is annoying. The acting and the well detailed setting are worthwhile but the rest of the film is not. Expand
  26. Apr 29, 2014
    American Hustle is energetic, funny and perfectly cast. It features smart twists & turns from a very smart script and is directed stylishly by David O. Russell.
  27. Apr 28, 2014
    This film left me confused, for lack of a better word. David O. Russell again put the actor’s need at the forefront, giving them almost complete freedom with their characters, and that’s great. Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and especially Amy Adams knock the ball out of the park. Unfortunately this was detrimental to the overall plot, which seemed muddled and sloppy. I feel like in the moment this film is great, full of life and energy, but a week or so after, you don’t remember it as fondly. And the hair is too much. Expand
  28. Apr 23, 2014
    I finally watched this movie on Blu-Ray today. No need to recap the many, many comments already made. Suffice to say, in my opinion, that the performances, by an excellent cast, were more over-the-top than seemed necessary. I grew weary of all of the shouting. In summary, "American Hustle" was about 30 minutes too long.
  29. Apr 19, 2014
    Trying to rip off Karen from Goodfellas.....badly! I can't for the life of me understand how this film got such good reviews. Bad. Just BAD.

The plot of this film started as one thing and ended in another but tried to make out a kind of Usual Suspects twist at the end. Rubbish pure rubbish.
  30. Apr 12, 2014
    American Hustle tells the story of con man Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and partner Sydney Prosser (Adams) as they are forced to use their tricks in order to help ambitious FBI agent Richie DiMaso (Cooper).

Featuring a fantastic cast and a darkly humorous script this is certainly one of the best movies of 2013, even if it doesn’t quite deliver fully on it initial set up.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2013
    Like everyone else in Russell's cast, Lawrence appears to be having a blast in the role. It's downright contagious.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 21, 2013
    A work of tremendous confidence and dazzling showmanship that may just be a delirious movie-as-drug-high or may, if you choose to read it this way, contain a level of commentary about the nature of America and the illusioneering of Hollywood.
    The movie is a slot machine that never stops spitting quarters.