7.5

1. Sep 2, 2014
    Another incredible ensemble from David O. Russell. He's once again taken a dark theme and somehow made it comedic. I applaud David O. Russell and his wonderful cast of bandits. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence once again prove their worthiness.
  2. Aug 26, 2014
    This was another good movie. Christian Bale delivered another solid performance. Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper were good as well but Jennifer Lawrence's performance was outstanding. My favourite part was Bradley Cooper's face coming to the end.
  3. Aug 8, 2014
    David O. Russell has once again proves himself of how to direct a good film. It is the brilliant movie ever since Silver Linings Playbook with Cooper and Lawrence. With Bale and Adams, the movie brings stimulating performances and interlectuall dialogue by the actors and the filmmakers to bring this movie into real life.
  4. Jul 25, 2014
    American Hustle es, sin dudas, otro gran éxito del buen director David O. Russel, ya que el el film no solo cuenta con buenas actuaciones, buena dirección, buen montaje, buen vestuario, entre otros., si no que también ofrece una historia interesante y muy bien hecha.
  5. Jul 25, 2014
    Unoriginal, unfunny,unengaging , uninteresting, unentertaining, self obsessed, super pretentious and absolutely boring. The oscar wining the sting meets goodfellas/casino and cast Robert DeNiro to insult the injury.

We see Christian Blair doing his hair in the opening scene and this is the point where the film loses the connection with its audience and proves that " the look" is so
    important. This is why we see the 70s hair do, fashion and music all the way through film but hey Who cares the plot?

Some of the audience might have loved the film's charm.However ,it is a 20 minute too long and empty film in the end.
  6. Jul 19, 2014
    Uno de los mejores trabajos de David O. Rusell, si no, hasta el mejor, artisticamente una maravilla para vista, y con interpretaciones magnificas por parte de todo el elenco.
  7. Jul 13, 2014
    I'm just scratching my head looking at these comments complaining how silly and over the top everything was.
    Um, you people are aware this is a comedy, right? In the words of the Joker: "Why so serious?"
  8. Ozy
    Jul 11, 2014
    A long and somewhat boring movie with snippets of "fun". Very talky talky and one very hot toilet sex scene - which is about as exciting as the movie got. Great acting by all means. If i got anything from this movie it was that bale can actually act. I didn't know that - good for him.
  9. Jul 4, 2014
    "American Hustle" is a very talky film - I think that's why many audiences have disliked it. However, that is exactly why I liked it, because it gave all the characters more developed personalities than we usually see in the movies. The use of the 70s music was also excellent. The ending wasn't really that good; from a movie that is about a HUSTLE, I expect more HUSTLING. Still, the movie is super-solid, though. An award-show bait, but still solid. Expand
  10. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I went to see the film because of the many good reviews. Snucked in a Dominos Pizza and felt lethargic half way through film. Got food poisoning that night.
    Review:
    Pros: General good acting, particularly Lawrence's.
    Cons: This is a rather slow and miserable film with terrible hair for all the main actors. Cooper's character was a d**k, Bale's was inept,
    Lawrence's was naive and I've never liked Adams's acting ever.
    2/5 - Don't bother.
  11. Jun 20, 2014
    Consensus: American Hustle is pretentious and overcooked. 63/100 (C+)

I really wanted to like this film, but it was so boring, despite the excellent performances and a few funny moments, the film is affected by a very surreal, yet confusing and overcooked script. Why I call it pretentious?, Because American Hustle is a film that only was made it to win awards, i noticed in the script,
    the camera direction, the setting, the throwback style, etc.. I have no problem with that, David O. Russell is a superb director but i think that American Hustle is a stylish mess.

I intensely love Silver Linings Playbook is one of my favorite dramas, but this film is very unnecessary and pretentious, as I said. The production is incredible, the costume design is excellent, all is excellent!, this is my problem with American Hustle is excellent but it's a film without soul, very robotic. Everything in this film is so perfect and well crafted, but the script and many of the moments in the film are very cliché and derivative those moments for me are very "Oscar", i mean, lesbian kisses, confusing conversations, people overreacting, sex scenes, etc. All the situations here are very pretentious and annoying. It's a film that was only made it to win awards, nothing more.

I enjoyed so many scenes, it's not a bad film at all, it's just that everything feels quite calculated and cold, yes! i said "cold". The cast is excellent as always and the script is quite complex and sometimes the plot is very hard to follow. Whatever I'm happy because this film didn't win any award, and it doesn't deserves any Oscar, for being pretentious. My dear American Hustle you didn't get your sinister targets. Visit my blog: www.memobosque.blogspot.mx Twitter: @MemoBosque
  12. Jun 7, 2014
    David O. Russel is back and this time its for American Hustle. With famous stars such as Bale, Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Renner this movie is deemed for greatness. With a jazzy powerful script and actors that transformed themselves into their roles this truly makes for a great movie. You are left speechless at the amazing script and plot and when the end of this movie happens you will be struck with awe at how well of an overall movie this is. I truly think this movie deserved Best Picture at The Oscars 2013... 10/10 Expand
  13. Jun 4, 2014
    Great actors, not a bad story. But the movie just didn't flow for me, about 3/4 of the way. I totally lost interest. That's not a good sign! the movie overall is a 5 out of 10. I already forgot about it
  14. Jun 1, 2014
    A whole bunch of good actors playing interesting characters with clear motivation. I've read that the director cared about the characters more than about the story, so he let them improvise, and that's really great! The story is pretty slow though and some interesting events start to happen only in the second half of the movie.
  15. May 25, 2014
    From David O. Russell the director of The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook brings us a "some what true stroy" of A FBI operation that took place in the late 1970's to early 80s. Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Adams) are two con artist that end up being forced to work for the FBI (Cooper) to help them set up a operation to take down all the corrupt politicians and mayor of New Jersey. The cast is amazing of course with all these stars it would be hard for a movie not be great. The Dialog was fantastic it felt real and that's when you know there is good chemistry between all the actors.

Overall though the movie was too bloated for me it felt like the whole time it was one step forward two steps back. A lot of scenes that you can tell have nothing to do with the story other then just to have more character drama. The ending was great though maybe if the movie was about 10-15 minutes shorter then it could have been something great. I give it a 7.3 I don't see how the film is being loved so much people need to get past the eye candy look through all the BS filler and see what the movie really is.
  16. May 24, 2014
    Good acting but I just could not get into this movie, I felt bored for most of the first half. I didn't really know why they were doing what they were doing. Story felt pretty bland even though it was based on a true story I just couldn't get into this movie. I didn't hate this movie by any means but I don't know why it got all the praise it did. I'm glad it did not win any Oscars as it was not deserving of any. Expand
  17. May 16, 2014
    I had high hopes for this film, I decided not to bother reading the reviews, what a mistake that was!!! While its not one of the worst films I've ever watched it was close! Over two hours of my life I'll never get back. The pacing was terrible, after about 30 minutes I found myself wanting the film to end, I would have turned it off if I didn't have company. Even Amy Adams obvious talents did nothing to improve my opinion of this film, and Christian Bale was about as far away from the Batman trilogy as is humanly possible!!

Do yourself a favour and don't buy this, wait until its on TV. I wish I had read the reviews before buying this film.
  18. May 9, 2014
    Beautifully striking movie that David O. Russel manages to pull off but he's not the only one you should be giving credit to. The acting that Cooper, Lawrence, Adams, and Bale use to reinforce such strong acting and writing make this movie a thrill to watch.
  19. May 8, 2014
    There wasn't much of a storyline, and that's the film's fatal flaw, but "American Hustle" was an undeniable extravaganza of a film. Director David O. Russell deserves credit for his exuberant, striking evocation of the glitz and glamour '70s. The acting was superb all round: I particularly enjoyed Bradley Cooper, who made for an excellent sleazebag FBI agent. It may have been a massive exercise in style over substance, but it was an entertaining one. Expand
  20. May 6, 2014
    Critics are wrong sometimes but why do they thought this film terrific, this film is bad, tge unic thing that saves this film are the actings and im not talking about the not so good at this film jennifer lawrence.
  21. May 3, 2014
    Once again the movie critics prove how little they know about what goes into making a great movie. Yes, the movie had incredible acting and the setting was founded upon detail after detail. However, does entertainment value mean nothing? I'm sorry but I was to enjoy my moviegoing experience, not be bored out of my mind while I acknowledge that Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress. Honestly, the only things redeemable about this movie were Lawrence and Bradley Cooper's insane yet fantastic performances and Amy Adams relentless cleavage and side-boob. None of the characters are likable in any way and the plot drags and is annoying. The acting and the well detailed setting are worthwhile but the rest of the film is not. Expand
  22. Apr 29, 2014
    American Hustle is energetic, funny and perfectly cast. It features smart twists & turns from a very smart script and is directed stylishly by David O. Russell.
  23. Apr 28, 2014
    This film left me confused, for lack of a better word. David O. Russell again put the actor’s need at the forefront, giving them almost complete freedom with their characters, and that’s great. Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and especially Amy Adams knock the ball out of the park. Unfortunately this was detrimental to the overall plot, which seemed muddled and sloppy. I feel like in the moment this film is great, full of life and energy, but a week or so after, you don’t remember it as fondly. And the hair is too much. Expand
  24. Apr 23, 2014
    I finally watched this movie on Blu-Ray today. No need to recap the many, many comments already made. Suffice to say, in my opinion, that the performances, by an excellent cast, were more over-the-top than seemed necessary. I grew weary of all of the shouting. In summary, "American Hustle" was about 30 minutes too long.
  25. Apr 19, 2014
    Trying to rip off Karen from Goodfellas.....badly! I can't for the life of me understand how this film got such good reviews. Bad. Just BAD.

The plot of this film started as one thing and ended in another but tried to make out a kind of Usual Suspects twist at the end. Rubbish pure rubbish.
  26. Apr 12, 2014
    American Hustle tells the story of con man Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and partner Sydney Prosser (Adams) as they are forced to use their tricks in order to help ambitious FBI agent Richie DiMaso (Cooper).

Featuring a fantastic cast and a darkly humorous script this is certainly one of the best movies of 2013, even if it doesn’t quite deliver fully on it initial set up.
  27. qev
    Apr 10, 2014
    every aspect of this film is a delight, from concept to execution (via some tremendous characterizations by a truly talented cast (Bale's best perf, perchance?), thru a proper on-it plot, by way of excellent settings and bang-on, shameless costumes (and hair!), right up to the "did you guess the end beforehand? NO!" activity). spot on
  28. Apr 7, 2014
    I liked this film a lot (at least compared to the other crap in 2013-14). The acting was great. Amy Adams and Christian Bale were very good....you cared about the characters in this movie, which is more than I can say about others (Gravity, Grand Budapest, even Wolf of Wall st). The ending was great too. There was humor interspersed, but not overly done for a drama. I went into this with low expectations, thinking it was over-hyped, but I enjoyed it. Better than Wolf of Wall St, which I also enjoyed. Expand
  29. Apr 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is cynical, vacuous and depressing. The critics are really wrong about this one! The main character is so unlovable. Which is why the ending really irked me. Con-artists don't become good people all of a sudden, and ride off into the sunset enjoying a conventional and moral existence. Yes, perhaps he had some redeeming qualities, but no leopard changes their spots like that. Oh, did I mention that this movie is cynical, vacuous and depressing? Except for the ending, which is just silly. Expand
  30. Apr 2, 2014
    I came in to this movie thinking I was going to see a real badass gangster movie about hustlers. can't give more then 0 because I couldn't finish it. This is the story of a pathetic man that robs people of 5000 dollars, in my eyes this isn't a hustler. Bad title, bad story and just overall bad, can't seem to find the reason this movie gets a score that high from critics, together with frozen probably the most misleading scores of critics this year, can't finish either movie and they have more then 7? everyone has a right to an opinion but this 10? What, you people have not seen any movie the past 10 years? Just watch silver linings playbook, a lot of the same actors, 10x better story (and I don't like romantic movies!!), IN WHAT WORLD WOULD THIS MOVIE BE WORTHY OF AN OSCAR? Even 47 ronin was more entertaining and man that movie sucked, but at least I could finish it Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2013
    Like everyone else in Russell's cast, Lawrence appears to be having a blast in the role. It's downright contagious.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 21, 2013
    A work of tremendous confidence and dazzling showmanship that may just be a delirious movie-as-drug-high or may, if you choose to read it this way, contain a level of commentary about the nature of America and the illusioneering of Hollywood.
    The movie is a slot machine that never stops spitting quarters.