American Psycho

8.8

1. AndyB.
    Apr 3, 2001
    So much of this film was hillarious and a lot of fun, in a way similar to "Clockwork Orange." However, unlike "Clockwork," this movie expresses no point. Schitzo corporate type likes to kill women? The novel must have done a better job in this area.
  2. Nov 26, 2011
    The acting was solid and the entire film was interesting. I think the run time was pushing it a little bit and it does get boring at times. Also its pretty confusing as well.
  3. Jan 10, 2012
    It's alright. It would helped to know about Patrick's past. It doesn't have enough gore. It seems like a comedy at times with little to no suspense.
  4. Nov 11, 2013
    Patrick Bateman is an obviously mentally deranged yuppie. We see right from the beginning that he is purely pop-culture and sex obsessed, and we see an embodiment right there of his narcissistic mentality and the sarcastic intonation of his voice. If the film was meant to be artificial, then it was well-matched with its leading character. His crazed breakdown may be too far down the linePatrick Bateman is an obviously mentally deranged yuppie. We see right from the beginning that he is purely pop-culture and sex obsessed, and we see an embodiment right there of his narcissistic mentality and the sarcastic intonation of his voice. If the film was meant to be artificial, then it was well-matched with its leading character. His crazed breakdown may be too far down the line for its previous contrast but the confessional point of view was the savior, and this portrayal of a typical yuppie was satirical enough to demand the cold sterility of an apartment, the emptiness of any kind of relationship he might have had, and the insistence of making reservations to end all reservations. Personal lifestyle for what sake? Expand
  5. Sep 2, 2013
    American Psycho is worth watching, but it`s just an over the top killing movie, so make sure you care for that kind of thing, or just have nothing else to watch. I could see how some people may find this movie great, but it`s just not for me.I will say the word Psycho fits the main character in every way. If you want to see a Psycho who dresses like the every day business man this is theAmerican Psycho is worth watching, but it`s just an over the top killing movie, so make sure you care for that kind of thing, or just have nothing else to watch. I could see how some people may find this movie great, but it`s just not for me.I will say the word Psycho fits the main character in every way. If you want to see a Psycho who dresses like the every day business man this is the movie for you. Expand
  6. Jan 26, 2015
    All the artistic value and ambition and all the effort from Christian Bale does not stop this film from being boring. As boring as a film can get. I am all for artistry and definitely prefer a small film with a lot of artistry than a blockbuster. But nothing justifies this type of boredom Slightly over rated film, although not many people know about it. They are not missing much.
  7. Apr 29, 2014
    American Psycho is the kind of film which one may enjoy watching clips of when inebriated but isn't as enjoyable to watch as a whole. This is because it doesn't take enough direction from the novel and focuses too greatly on Bale's performance and his killing scenes.
  8. Jan 4, 2014
    Christian Bale play's the psychopathic businessman, Patrick Bateman, in New York City in the 1980s in Mary Harron's adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho. With a relatively cliched protagonist as well as a forgettable story, this movies saving grace is found in the talented acting of Christian Bale.

Bale's character is given little depth, as his motives are never made clear

Bale's character is given little depth, as his motives are never made clear beyond a whim to kill. The viewer can not pity him in almost any way, except at the near end of the film, but Bale manages to turn this role into a very entertaining and somewhat interesting character. His voice-over at times also adds tremendously to the role.

The story follows the life of Bale after he murders fellow businessman, Paul Allen, played by Jered Leto. It is simplistic within itself and offers very little if any groundbreaking cinematic moments.

Though the camerawork and atmosphere of the movie are quite well put together and do allow for a more enjoyable movie experience.

In the end this film offers nothing out of the way of normal psychopathic thrillers, but is decent enough to pass its running time.
  9. AndrewM.
    Apr 4, 2004
    Watched from the right perspective, this film is amusing, disturbing and intriguing. Watched from the wrong perspective, it is just painful. I did a little of both, so it gets a five.
  10. YoonC.
    Sep 13, 2003
    The first 15 minutes are impressive and stylish, slyly satirical. But when it degenerates into a gorefest one really wonders if the movie(or the book it was based on) really has to go to this length to criticize consumerism during the Reagan Era. I'll go with Blade Runner instead.
  11. BobM.
    Aug 22, 2003
    Decent movie. The trailers were misleading to me. They made it look a lot more interesting than it really was. Good plot. I lean toward buying it, but can't quite commit to adding it to my collection. Rent it , it's worth it.
  12. Dec 17, 2014
    American Psycho is a sick and hilarious film, but unfortunately to boring for my taste.

The film is about a killer and I really like the story. It illustrates how mankind’s needs depend on who you are, and how strong they can be. The movie gives a great insight in who we are and who we can be on the inside. The film is about our basic needs; food, sex and in this case: blood. The story is well presented by the awesome actor Christian Bale and he’s both funny and insane in this film. The reason why I only give this film a 6 is because there are much slow scenes. There are also not much unique things. It could have happened more. There’s also not a clear climax-part in the film, which made the ending a bit rash but I still like it. The ending sums up the film very well and even though there could have happened more in the film, do I really recommend it.

The characters and the story are both awesome, but the story could have included more action.

American Psycho gets a 6.5/10.

1. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    The film's details are spot-on, its tone ludicrously ironic, and its casting deft.
  2. Boston Globe
    Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    In both senses of the word, American Psycho wastes its women.
    Bateman could have been much more interesting if he'd been played by someone who wouldn't need to work quite so hard (Charlie Sheen or Rob Lowe might have been fascinating here).