8.1

1. Aug 1, 2012
    11/10 would watch again.
    It's funny, I seriously just love watching people die. It legitimately turns me on, at least a bit. Good, good, good movie...
  2. May 10, 2011
    Based on the book of the same name, American Psycho is a journey through the mind of a mentally deranged yuppie. While that makes it seem like a very serious movie it's actually very funny in a dark sense. Christian Bale is delightful as the main character Patrick Bateman.
  3. Dec 27, 2012
    Despite being a bit confusing especially the end, the characters in it were brilliant and Christian Bale acted brilliantly. The subtle jokes were the best and the satirical undertones were great.
  4. Jan 12, 2014
    One of the best and most underrated movies of all time IMHO. Its smart , funny and gory with deep dark undertones about the paradoxical times we live in
  5. May 5, 2014
    Christian Bale gives a well acted performance in this cult classic as Patrick Bateman, a young handsome New Yorker who is just cold-hearted. The formula in this Mary Harron of horror and black comedy works perfectly. This movie is one of the best of 2000
  6. Jun 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very intriguing movie. We get to watch as Patrick Bateman's sanity slowly slips away to his uncontrollable nightly blood lust. However, we find out that he may be delusional, and not necessarily dangerous. I still can't decide whether he is crazy or a serial killer. Expand
  7. Feb 3, 2012
    To be honest I never thought Christian Bale was that incredible as an actor... until I saw this movie, and I was blown away. What a an amazing performance, being able to create a character so deep but completely shallow at the same time. It's like Dexter, but 10 times more insane, satirical and absolutely terrifying.
  8. Nov 8, 2012
    American Psycho is brilliant social satire cleverly dressed up as a slasher film. I love it! A masterwork.
  9. Nov 28, 2012
    Featuring some of Christian Bale's greatest work, and some priceless juxtapositions of horror and humor, "American Psycho" remains a hysterically written piece of satire.
  10. Jan 1, 2014
    American Psycho is off the rails.
    Christian Bale has possibly the performance of his career as a psychopathic businessman on tilt of killing in public. This film is a blast.
  11. Jan 20, 2012
    American Psycho is one of the most deranged yet enjoyable stories ever committed to film. A satire of the "yuppie" lifestyle of the 1980s, and a warning against the corrupting power of money, it's expertly told, well-scripted, somewhat disturbingly funny, and grusomely thrilling. The entire film pretty much hinges on one performance, that of Christian Bale's increasingly disturbed Wall Street trader-by-day and serial killer-by-night Patrick Bateman. Bale doesn't disappoint, delivering the performance of his career, and in the process creating a horror villain to rival Norman Bates, and an anti-hero and chillingly disturbing narrator to rival Alex DeLarge. Comparissons to such films as Psycho and A Clockwork Orange are inevitable, and American Psycho could be seen as an affectionate tribute to both, but with its own ideas to add to the bubbling cauldron of depravity. All these films use madness as a metaphor for something wrong with society - in Psycho it's misogyny, in A Clockwork Orange it's the corruption of government, and in American Psycho it's the evils of capitalism. The films are similar in many ways, amd vastly different in others, but all three communicate a powerful message to their audience extremely effectively. American Psycho certainly deserves equal recognition as a film - the performances are just as good, the story just as engaging, the underlying themes just as dark and compelling. Even director Mary Harron shows great flair in her art, though sadly as a cult film director she is unlikely to be classed in the same league as so-called "masters" as **** and Kubrick. If you enjoy the film, cult icon as it is, then feel free to be smug in the fact that you and a select group of others appreciate a truly fine, though criminally underrated film. Expand
  12. Jun 8, 2014
    Without a shadow of a doubt one of the most underrated movies I have ever had the privilege of watching. Christian Bale plays the role so well and the story is full of clever plot points and surprises throughout. Why this film got such mixed reviews upon release is beyond me, it's so well made. Thankfully with age this film has seen it's fan base and popularity grow and rightly so, this film is so worth watching! Expand
  13. Sep 2, 2014
    This is one of my favorite films of all time. It's extremely well-acted, and I love the 80's vibe of the film. It's quite an interesting take on the slasher film with our main character, portrayed quite darkly by Christian Bale. "American Psycho" is a very interesting (and even sometimes funny) look into the mind of a serial killer, and it's a very intense and enjoyable film. I give it my highest recommendation. Expand
  14. Mar 3, 2013
    First off, Christian Bale is totally excellent in this part; because I’ve seen all the Batman films before seeing this, it came as a bit of a culture shock to see him in this particular role. But he carries it off brilliantly! I love the way his character’s narration overlay’s the images and the musical references are worked in so well. It’s a really well made film too with a pretentious cuisine and big chunky telephones taking us back to the 80’s. Having not read the book I did find some of it a little hard to follow, but I’ll add it to the reading list and give this one another look afterwards. Definitely worth a look though, if just for Bale’s performance.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.1/10
  15. Aug 7, 2011
    Satiric and socially relevant. A film not for the faint of heart. Filled with violence but with a purpose. Christian Bale creates an interesting performance. A must see, well stylized dark comedy with a lot to say. Soon to be a modern classic, and certainly deserving of its cult following.
  16. Nov 26, 2013
    American Psycho is a bloody success! It's funny and violent and Bale's performance was excellent. The largest problem I had with the film was the ambiguity of the ending but that aside it's a must see!
  17. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. American psycho has a great suspense about what is going to happen in the movie whether they are going to catch him or whether everything is a lie. It has a really good concept and Christian Bale's performance is excellent. The last 20 minutes are the only not so bad, but I would prefer to call them not so good as the twist was predictable and that disappointed me as I was expecting something bigger. Though the movie is really interesting and good in general. Not the best thriller I have ever seen but it's a good one to see. It is entertaining and suspense but while you expect something big you are given a twist that has been seen many times... Despite that, Thumb up! Expand
  18. Nov 22, 2013
    Classic. American Psycho is a masterpiece. Christian Bale is phenomenal. Patrick Bateman is the most interesting character I have ever seen on screen.
  19. Mar 6, 2014
    The film entire is slightly blotched, or spotty, as the whole cast has a trouble fitting in with the themes of the story, with the exception of Bale. His acting range spreads far beyond than any other actor in his generation. His depth into the role of Bateman adds more to the already allegorical outlook of the whole plot, and he's oddly charming and funny, especially when he kills Jared Leto with an ax to the face. Collapse
  20. Sep 8, 2014
    "American Psycho" is a nightmarish movie that delivers humor, horror and a stupendous performance from the charming star Christian Bale even if it is not as scary as the book that it's based of.
  21. Sep 13, 2010
    Yuppie bloke goes bonkers, has a breakdown & kills lots of people. Or does he?
    I'd never read the Brett Easton-Ellis book but had heard a lot about it before seeing this when it came out.
    Bale is excellent as Patrick Bateman & the mood & feel of the late 80's is very well done.
    Certainly listening to Phil Collins is understandable that you'd want to kill someone.
    Great performance, if
    brief, by Willem Dafoe as Detective Kimble. Expand
  22. Mar 2, 2012
    A frank and unsettling insight into the mind of a psychopath. Christian Bale gives an excellent performance and really sells the character to the audience. The tension and thrills slowly and effectively build as the movie progresses. The film can be a bit disjointed at times, possibly due to the cutting of some material in the transition from book to movie.
  23. Jan 6, 2012
    N'ayant pas lu le livre, je m'arrêterai donc à ce film, assez spécial... Bizarre déjà dans le sujet (un playboy qui nous raconte et montre ses pulsions meutrières non sans pudeur), dévoilant au passage un humour d'une noirceur sans nom, ce qui apporte à American Psycho une jouissance quasi malsaine. Etrange dans le fait que le film n'apporte rien, si ce n'est que du divertissement qu'il faut prendre au dixième degré pour supporter et apprécier les déboires psychopathes de cet abominable personnage (l'interdiction au moins de 16 ans n'est pas une exagération). Franchement spécial! Mais s'il fallait retenir quelque chose d'évident, c'est bien la prestation de Christian Bale, que j'ai rarement vu aussi glacial, fendard et talentueux qu'ailleurs que dans cet OVNI du cinéma. Expand
  24. Jan 2, 2014
    A unique blend of comedy and horror, this film is infinitely enjoyable. Christian Bale kills it as psychotic serial killer Patrick Bateman. I never expected myself to find a movie of this type funny, but it most certainly is at times, while the horror scenes are certainly suitably bloody and terrifying. Really good film.
  25. May 11, 2013
    Christian Bale plays a character so simple, yet so complex, it's hard to understand what you're actually watching. In short, the movie's just about a man killing women. There is no great background story to why he's exactly doing this or not an ending that gives you a final conclusion. On one side, Christian Bale is perfect for this role, but somehow, at the same time, he's not. His preformance, however, is what makes this dark thriller so interresting and brutally funny, going so far it makes you wonder "How sick am I?" every time you laugh at any of the events. Expand
  26. Jul 29, 2013
    At its heart its a satire of the times u know sexist greedy pigs who have it all Party and drug use rampant and filthy but clean and shiny fake.Just like Patrick Bateman wearing a mask of sanity the 80's was nothing but a lie on the outside and empty on the inside. Great Movie must see or buy
  27. Jul 13, 2014
    American Psycho has a terrific plot, acting and is a satire of the lifestyle of those who lived in the 1980's.
    The movie is absorbing and intricate which is great to see. The movie also has great comedy provided
    by Christian Bale. Bale put so many facets into his character that it would take a while to list them
    all, one of my favourite thrillers, A+.
  28. Nov 26, 2011
    The acting was solid and the entire film was interesting. I think the run time was pushing it a little bit and it does get boring at times. Also its pretty confusing as well.
  29. Jan 10, 2012
    It's alright. It would helped to know about Patrick's past. It doesn't have enough gore. It seems like a comedy at times with little to no suspense.
  30. Nov 11, 2013
    Patrick Bateman is an obviously mentally deranged yuppie. We see right from the beginning that he is purely pop-culture and sex obsessed, and we see an embodiment right there of his narcissistic mentality and the sarcastic intonation of his voice. If the film was meant to be artificial, then it was well-matched with its leading character. His crazed breakdown may be too far down the line for its previous contrast but the confessional point of view was the savior, and this portrayal of a typical yuppie was satirical enough to demand the cold sterility of an apartment, the emptiness of any kind of relationship he might have had, and the insistence of making reservations to end all reservations. Personal lifestyle for what sake? Expand
  31. May 8, 2012
    From writer Bret Easton Ellis, author of the dark teen 1980â
  32. Sep 2, 2013
    American Psycho is worth watching, but it`s just an over the top killing movie, so make sure you care for that kind of thing, or just have nothing else to watch. I could see how some people may find this movie great, but it`s just not for me.I will say the word Psycho fits the main character in every way. If you want to see a Psycho who dresses like the every day business man this is the movie for you. Expand
  33. Apr 29, 2014
    American Psycho is the kind of film which one may enjoy watching clips of when inebriated but isn't as enjoyable to watch as a whole. This is because it doesn't take enough direction from the novel and focuses too greatly on Bale's performance and his killing scenes.
  34. Nov 7, 2014
    Although the ironic tone is ridiculously uneven, American Psycho gets a passing grade. Christian Bale is deranged, sick, and amusing here with his portrayal of a Wall Street hotshot, and his associates are all oblivious and blissfully unaware of anything going on in the movie to the point where it's funny. The best part about the film is the ambiguity of everything. To decipher what's real and imaginary is all speculation, and that's the fun of it. Many movies have done this "main-character-is-delusional" thing before (Shutter Island, to name one), but not many have achieved it so satisfyingly well as American Psycho. Expand
  35. Jan 4, 2014
    Christian Bale play's the psychopathic businessman, Patrick Bateman, in New York City in the 1980s in Mary Harron's adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho. With a relatively cliched protagonist as well as a forgettable story, this movies saving grace is found in the talented acting of Christian Bale.

Bale's character is given little depth, as his motives are never made clear
    beyond a whim to kill. The viewer can not pity him in almost any way, except at the near end of the film, but Bale manages to turn this role into a very entertaining and somewhat interesting character. His voice-over at times also adds tremendously to the role.

The story follows the life of Bale after he murders fellow businessman, Paul Allen, played by Jered Leto. It is simplistic within itself and offers very little if any groundbreaking cinematic moments.

Though the camerawork and atmosphere of the movie are quite well put together and do allow for a more enjoyable movie experience.

In the end this film offers nothing out of the way of normal psychopathic thrillers, but is decent enough to pass its running time.
  36. Nov 22, 2014
    Christian Bale probably displays his best acting performance ever in American Psycho. He is just so nuts in this film and no one suspects anything until he's about to slit their throat. Its like a slasher film without all the jump out scares. Bales character took a lot of thought and it was well executed. Such a great film.

The film's details are spot-on, its tone ludicrously ironic, and its casting deft.
  2. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    In both senses of the word, American Psycho wastes its women.
    Bateman could have been much more interesting if he'd been played by someone who wouldn't need to work quite so hard (Charlie Sheen or Rob Lowe might have been fascinating here).