8.0

Aug 29, 2003
    Absurdly overrated.
  2. Didin'tLaikit
    Sep 9, 2003
    It just simply was not a good or entertaining movie in any way. While it was done well, it was a poor idea to begin with and a complete waste of money.
    Feb 24, 2004
    When this movie isn't depressing it's boring. It strives to be the opposite of a big high budget commericalized production but just because it's different doesn't make it good. It is refreshing to watch a story that is based on characters but not the ones in this movie. Waste Of Time.
  4. MarcK.
    Sep 24, 2003
    What a huge disappointment. Unlike most critics (and Sundance), I found Pekar to be most unlikeable, and I wasn't thrilled with his quirky wife and "borderline autistic" friend. And were we supposed to believe that his appearances on Letterman were sincere rather than schtick? I don't think so. I couldn't wait for this movie to end.
  5. SpillyD.
    Feb 13, 2004
    Don't understand the hype behind this movie. really dull and ultimately forgettable. the only funny parts were with his slightly retarded coworker. i can laugh more watching howard stern make fun of freaks. didn't like crumb either if that helps.
  6. AdamG.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Just plain dull. If I wanted to experience a dull meaningless life, I could have just lived my own instead of wasting 90 odd minutes watching someone else's!

One genuine small triumph of American Splendor is that the title isn't ironic. The movie is a splendid, inventive piece of urban Americana about that hardboiled original, Harvey Pekar.
    Thoroughly unique work of art.
  3. It's a humane and witty treatment of an average life that, incidentally, speaks to the worth and inherent drama of average lives.