HBO Films | Release Date: August 15, 2003
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 92 Ratings
WATCH NOW
R.DalviApr 11, 2006
Excellent. Liked the comedy as well as the dramedy. There was the nerd thing which I liked as well. Good movie.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
russellkruzNov 6, 2006
fantastic film.
ButteredP.Dec 3, 2006
I've seen this move twice and I have to say, it's one of the best I've seen in some time. A great deal of humor lies just beneath the surface, and often times, it's just the absurdity and irony of the situation that is so I've seen this move twice and I have to say, it's one of the best I've seen in some time. A great deal of humor lies just beneath the surface, and often times, it's just the absurdity and irony of the situation that is so unbelievably funny. Very inventive mingling of real people with their onscreen correlatives, and while this may be the one movie you'd think would not stoop to a happy ending.... well, see for yourself. Expand
EpicLadySpongeMar 17, 2016
Finally, something worth watching that's been Americanized. If you're American, don't miss your only chance to see this once-in-a-lifetime movie worth watching.
nutterjrOct 12, 2010
Large credit for the appeal of this film is the visionary direction interweaving comic drawings into the film and the masterful performance of Paul Giamatti. Deservedly received awards from independent film festivals such as Sundance.
RobertBroganSep 27, 2015
American Splendor is quite the postmodern film. It's an interesting take on life from the POV of a normal eccentric man. The film itself is normal eccentric, neither straightforward nor weird. Those who enjoy aspects of postmodernism such asAmerican Splendor is quite the postmodern film. It's an interesting take on life from the POV of a normal eccentric man. The film itself is normal eccentric, neither straightforward nor weird. Those who enjoy aspects of postmodernism such as messiness and infinite regress will likely enjoy American Splendor. And, of course, Paul Giamatti is great in it. Expand
ChristopherJ.Mar 20, 2007
I was excited about watching it, but then I didn't like it that much. It seemed to me like to much unjustified bitterness, if I remember correctly. I tried to watch it again, but I fell asleep.