5.6

1. Kristy
    Jul 23, 2001
    I really enjoyed it. This movie wasn't supposed to make you think - that was the beauty of it. It was obviously a parody on Hollywood itself, and I thought they all played their stereotypical parts very well.
  2. DeborahL.
    Aug 15, 2002
    Very funny and charming, with excellent characterizations.
  3. JohnW.
    Jul 29, 2001
    I can't understand why this movie got critically panned except perhaps the professional film reviewers can't see it from the eyes of a regular person. This film wasn't "about" Hollywood any more than "Caddyshack" was "about" golfing, "Animal House" was "about" frats, or "My Cousin Vinny" was "about" lawyers . . . When it hits $100M the critics will be dumbfounded.

Chockablock with things we're not supposed to notice: that Roberts is wasted; that she and Cusack have no characters to play, so it's virtually impossible to understand why she loves him or vice versa; that the script provides comedy without bite and romance without resonance.
  2. This is the downside of Roberts' giant success and her dazzling ability to charm: Every time she goes plain, as she did in the little-seen "Mary Reilly" and "Michael Collins," our princess simply fizzles.
  3. Terrifically funny romantic comedy, is a slam-dunk for Julia Roberts, the Michael Jordan of cuteness.