7.9

1. Jan 13, 2013
    Amour features fine actors doing their best, but they also have to give performances that come from boring and never compelling characters. The story is simple and features plot points that aren't needed or particularly make sense. An original score would have been nice to hear because I was bored most of the time with it featuring long quiet scenes with no dialogue. Michael Haneke's AmourAmour features fine actors doing their best, but they also have to give performances that come from boring and never compelling characters. The story is simple and features plot points that aren't needed or particularly make sense. An original score would have been nice to hear because I was bored most of the time with it featuring long quiet scenes with no dialogue. Michael Haneke's Amour is a boring and undeniably pretty drama that manages to be forgettable. I give this movie 58%. Expand
  2. Feb 18, 2013
    Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva play a Parisian couple in their 80s. When she has an attack, he nurses her thru the final agonizing days. Michael Haneke is a skilled director, who's at his most stark and dispassionate, which translates into interminable pacing, uncompromising camera and oblique narrative. If you like watching the deterioration of a woman in a detached, heavy andJean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva play a Parisian couple in their 80s. When she has an attack, he nurses her thru the final agonizing days. Michael Haneke is a skilled director, who's at his most stark and dispassionate, which translates into interminable pacing, uncompromising camera and oblique narrative. If you like watching the deterioration of a woman in a detached, heavy and bleak atmosphere, you may appreciate this well-acted but agonizing (in so many ways) examination. Call me shallow, but I wasn't moved. Collapse
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a typical movie that film critics love but is hard to like. The wife of an elderly couple gets a stroke, and from there it goes downhill. The film is incredibly slow but also realistic and as the woman's health and mental state deteriorate it becomes more difficult for the man to cope with the situation and also for you as a viewer more irritating to watch. Watching this film isThis is a typical movie that film critics love but is hard to like. The wife of an elderly couple gets a stroke, and from there it goes downhill. The film is incredibly slow but also realistic and as the woman's health and mental state deteriorate it becomes more difficult for the man to cope with the situation and also for you as a viewer more irritating to watch. Watching this film is like spending time in a retirement home, it's depressing, you don't wanna stay longer then necessary and you're glad when it's over. Expand
  4. Feb 2, 2013
    Just another reminder to myself to look beyond rave reviews.

PROS: Strong actors. A cultured, music-filled context for the story. CONS: The characters are simply not interesting or compelling people. We were led to believe that something "deep" was going on because of so much silence and empty space in the film. The male lead appropriately and scornfully dismissed a careless nurse,
    Just another reminder to myself to look beyond rave reviews.

PROS: Strong actors. A cultured, music-filled context for the story.

CONS: The characters are simply not interesting or compelling people. We were led to believe that something "deep" was going on because of so much silence and empty space in the film. The male lead appropriately and scornfully dismissed a careless nurse, but did not treat his wife that well himself. While it's true that sometimes silence can be profound, it's also true that silence can be empty. Some films use sadness and space to communicate important and useful messages. This film was just a container for sadness and space. RECOMMENDATION: Don't go.
  5. Feb 4, 2013
    This movie is quite drawn-out and boring. The story being told provides you no reason to care about either of the main characters or to relate in any way to them. Not worth the two hours.
  6. Aug 28, 2013
    What a sad movie! Gets you wondering how will you get old. This kind of non-hollywoodian film can be oustanding some times, but here that's not the case, in my humble opinion. Go for The Intouchables.
  7. Oct 25, 2013
    OK, good to have a topic like getting old and doing it up real, but the director did many really annoying things that served no purpose. Like five minutes of looking out on a theater audience, an old dude chasing a pigeon for half an hour, panning paintings for half a dog's life.
    This film needed to have some flamboyant or different characters. everyone was the same morose one-note. The neighbors, kids, students, nurses. Geesh.
    I'm very sympathetic to the story, have lived through many passings of aged parents and even a couple of contemporaries..but we had a lot more laughter and upbeat moments..
    I kind of agree with the guy who said it was like sitting in a nursing home all night. I'm sure glad I didn't see this at the theater. Good performance by the old lady, but way too much artsie by the director.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Feb 16, 2013
    Amour is a far cry from the warm-and-fuzzy version of love that most people are probably looking for on Valentine's Day. This movie is more of a slap than a hug. But reality hurts sometimes - just like love does.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Feb 13, 2013
    The superb Trintignant and the Oscar-nominated Riva – who would win, in a just world – embody once-vigorous people in inevitable decline. Yet as another critic has said, the film is sad without being depressing.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Feb 13, 2013
    With Amour, it's the rare feeling of watching a masterpiece unfold.