5.6

1. smceveety
    Oct 10, 2008
    God-awful. MPower pictures the company that made this film ough to be fined and banned from filmmaking--forever. this had SO MUCH POTENTIAL and it was squandered. it is a sad, sad film. how could anyone involved with it ever allow it to screen? i am ashamed to call myself a Republican.
  2. WilliamJ.
    Oct 5, 2008
    It was funny, very funny. However, seemed to go a bit to far in some spots. The points the movie makes is spot on.
  3. Tom
    Oct 4, 2008
    Zucker should go back to film school.
  4. TimD
    Oct 4, 2008
    A laugh out loud comedy- refreshing to see a right of center movie. Looking forward to the sequel. Robert Davi is excellent Hope Saturday Night Live has the balls to have Farley as their guest host to exploit the movie- now that would be great.
  5. MaryB
    Oct 5, 2008
    The most I've laughed in years. LOVED IT!!!
  6. JackC
    Oct 1, 2008
    Those previous reviews are obviously plants. This movie is a joke - and not the good kind. As lame as it gets.
  7. JasonW..
    Oct 3, 2008
    This may be the first Hollyweird movie to hit the nail on the head politically. This 'Scathing Michael Moore Spoof' was a joy to watch. A must watch for anyone that hates backwards Hollywood politics.
  8. McLainC
    Oct 3, 2008
    Very funny! Good reminder of why people like Michael Moore, moveon.org, and other similiar types are dangerous for our country. (And by the way - all of those unpatriotic people who could learn a lesson from this movie are supporting Barrack Obama).
  9. JimO.
    Oct 3, 2008
    Super funny spoof on a person who can dish out lies and meanness but can't even accept criticism from lefty Christopher Hitchens. FUNNY!
  10. MartyK.
    Oct 4, 2008
    An obvious piece of cheap, biased, politically-motivated garbage not-so-cleverly disguised as satire. Pure spunk. The First Amendment is the cornerstone of our democracy. It works well when used to keep our democracy strong by speaking truth to power, but one has to wonder if the Founding Fathers intended its use to include disgustingly inaccurate and blatant smear campaigns on American An obvious piece of cheap, biased, politically-motivated garbage not-so-cleverly disguised as satire. Pure spunk. The First Amendment is the cornerstone of our democracy. It works well when used to keep our democracy strong by speaking truth to power, but one has to wonder if the Founding Fathers intended its use to include disgustingly inaccurate and blatant smear campaigns on American patriots. It is also worth mentioning that the entire starring cast, including Kelsey Grammer, Kevin Farley, Trace Adkins, Jon Voight, and Dennis Hopper all hold conservative values, solidifying the notion that An American Carol is a one-sided, albeit futile effort at biting political satire. As if this point isn't driven home by now, even Bill-O makes an appearance. Not that he needed to, mind you, just like how you don't need to see the Grand Dragon take the stage to know that you're at a Klan rally. Expand
  11. TaB
    Oct 4, 2008
    I caught a little bit of Bill O'Rielly the other day. He had a 10 minute segment of how Nancy Pelosi's hand gestures didn't match her words and brought in a professional "conversation analyst" to discuss it. Now he's taking shots at Michael Moore. What an incredibly easy and irrelevant target. Let's tell some more Lewinsky jokes. Guess what? I don't wear a I caught a little bit of Bill O'Rielly the other day. He had a 10 minute segment of how Nancy Pelosi's hand gestures didn't match her words and brought in a professional "conversation analyst" to discuss it. Now he's taking shots at Michael Moore. What an incredibly easy and irrelevant target. Let's tell some more Lewinsky jokes. Guess what? I don't wear a flag pin on my lapel either, so suck my balls Limbaugh crowd after you're finished putting the spit-shine on Ann Coulter's. Expand
  12. TerryA.
    Oct 4, 2008
    This was one funny flick, it will keep you in stitches.
  13. GeorgeN.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Wow, just what we need. A movie making fun of Michael Moore. I don't really understand how this trash gets made. Someone must own the wrong kind of people a lot of money.
  14. JackR.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Very funny and right on point. Nice to see something out of Hollywood from a different point of view.
  15. DavidP.
    Oct 5, 2008
    satire of the far left - a lot of slapstick comedy - BUT it did have a message about America as a great country - and it is great to be patriotic.
  16. JeremyB.
    Oct 5, 2008
    Could this end up as one of those movies with the most unfair ratings? This movie isn't supposed to be an enlightened attack on liberal thought, it's a ridiculous parody of the most ridiculous people in this country. The quality of the jokes is great throughout, and the previews don't cover any of the best ones. A great movie.
  17. MikeG.
    Oct 5, 2008
    While the movie doesn't deserve a 10, it doesn't deserve a 0 either. People's political views tend to distort their perceptions. This is a great comedy for those who can laugh a little at stupid democrat American politics, republicans have to watch democrat propaganda in just about every piece of media and Hollywood creation, so shut up, ppl like tab, go watch Saturday While the movie doesn't deserve a 10, it doesn't deserve a 0 either. People's political views tend to distort their perceptions. This is a great comedy for those who can laugh a little at stupid democrat American politics, republicans have to watch democrat propaganda in just about every piece of media and Hollywood creation, so shut up, ppl like tab, go watch Saturday night live,and let us enjoy a movie that makes fun of your loser political views. Expand
  18. TateM.
    Oct 6, 2008
    I gave this a 6 because I live overseas and will probably have to rent to movie to see it and didn't want to alter the score. However, I would like to point out the disparity between those who scored it highly and those who scored it lowly... Most of the user comments which have scored it lowly have not seen the movie. If you discount those scores, the user score would be much high; I gave this a 6 because I live overseas and will probably have to rent to movie to see it and didn't want to alter the score. However, I would like to point out the disparity between those who scored it highly and those who scored it lowly... Most of the user comments which have scored it lowly have not seen the movie. If you discount those scores, the user score would be much high; in stark contrast to the critics' score. In fact, I think this is the largest discrepancy I have seen between the two scores. I wonder who has the bone to pick? Expand
  19. JohnS.
    Oct 6, 2008
    It might be a bad movie, but I like b-comedies. Sometimes bad comedies are funnier than the conventional big budget comedies that follow the box office and pop culture trends. If the reviewers hate this movie, being a counter-liberal flick, then its automatically better than reviewed, probably worth a view and a laugh by those with an open mind.
  20. BillyChief
    Oct 7, 2008
    Very sad. I couldn't believe it when I saw the promos that this was actually produced. Let's parade out the handful of conservatives in Hollywood right before the election. Duh. What ineptitude. This wouldn't have happened under Larry Levy's watch.
  21. Richard
    Jan 5, 2009
    WOW I can't wait to see this film!! Anything that the so called professional movie reviewers mark as bad, must be just incredible! I mean really, how about an honest review of the movie instead of your liberal left wing bias huh?? OH! and to the guy that wrote: "is disappointed that even a few people could possible be so stupid to like this movie" LOL! Isn't it a bit ironic WOW I can't wait to see this film!! Anything that the so called professional movie reviewers mark as bad, must be just incredible! I mean really, how about an honest review of the movie instead of your liberal left wing bias huh?? OH! and to the guy that wrote: "is disappointed that even a few people could possible be so stupid to like this movie" LOL! Isn't it a bit ironic thayt ou are calling other people stupid and you can't even type up a correct sentence? Expand
  22. StephenH.
    Oct 10, 2008
    Wow. Really, really unfunny. I loved Airplane and thought this would also be hilarious. Man, was I wrong. Don't waste your money.
  23. RebA.
    Oct 1, 2008
    It was funny and made me feel good - patriotic
  24. DavidF
    Oct 17, 2008
    A cute film with some laugh-out-loud moments. Not nearly as good as some other Zucker contributions. I suspect several critics rated this without watching it, due to either liberal bias or just plain laziness. Not a conservative film, but a patriotic one. Since when is that so wrong?
  25. Al
    Oct 17, 2008
    Its hilarious! Hollywood critics who don't get this must either resent or honestly not understand this kind of free-spirited humor -- which pays absolutely no quarter to their increasingly narrow post-modern, post-Judeo-Christian mind-set. OH well...they always have side-splitters like Religulous and Hamlet II to fall back on.
  26. ChrisC
    Oct 2, 2008
    It's so cute how the republicans are finally trying to do satire too. The democrats have presented them as ridiculous strawman stereotypes for years, and finally they're doing the same right back. (Of course, people who aren't Bill O'Reilly can tell the difference between hating America and just thinking it has problems that need to be fixed, but hey.)
  27. JohnMcCain
    Oct 2, 2008
    I didn't understand this newest Michael Moore documentary at all! Why would anyone want to abolish the 4th of July. Just horrible!!!
    Oct 2, 2008
    Finally a movie that sticks it to Hollywood, nice.
  29. C.B.
    Oct 3, 2008
    Honestly, one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Leave the comedy to the liberals...
  30. JayT.
    Oct 3, 2008
    That's not really the plot of the movie? Is it? And, Bill O'Really from Fox Noise is really in this movie? Boy, as for the rest of the players in this movie (including the director), their careers have aged well, haven't they? At this point in his career, I don't think John Voight could get the part of Frostie the Snowman in my daughter's third grade play.
  31. AndyR.
    Oct 3, 2008
    Best film of the year...or possibly the decade!!! Makes Jonathan Swift look like the guy who did Airplane! And, just to be clear, i'm not a right wing troll that is somehow trying to disuade people that this film is pure propaganda.
  32. PatS.
    Just hysterical... long overdue
  33. JimS.
    Oct 3, 2008
    I live in Trace Atkins' trailer park, he hooked me up with a screener of this farce. If you liked Epic Movie, Date Movie, and/or Gigli, you will love this reeking flop. Then again, if you liked any of these movies, you're probably not able to read a single word of this comment. This one is doomed to bomb.
  34. TinaP.
    Oct 3, 2008
    Wow! The first Hollywood movie that understands the American people and frauds like Michael Moore. I can't say how wonderful it was to watch a movie that was so in tune with my views. What was ever better was watching Michael Moore get totally skewered for his moronic politics.
  35. RainyL.
    Oct 3, 2008
    A total waste of time. No funny in the least. Bad acting, directing and story all around. If people really prefer to watch mindless movies like this, then I do feel sorry for creative film makers. They won't have a chance, because intellectual material will be lost on people who like this.
  36. ChrisM
    Oct 3, 2008
    As a middle of the road American with no party affiliation, I was very curious as to how much of a Republican propoganda film this would be. It wasn't at all. It was a great parody and it reminded me why I'm proud to be an American and why people like Michael Moore really aren't good for this country. Great movie!!
  37. JerryT.
    Oct 4, 2008
    I am a conservative and had high hopes for this movie. I saw it and this movie can be most adequately described as shit.
  38. SteveO
    Oct 4, 2008
    So "TaB" I'm guessing you didn't like the movie? The points you made are irrelevant to this movie. You just showed me how stupid liberals really are. As for the movie it was HILARIOUS. Political Satire at its finest.
  39. DerrickAge
    Oct 4, 2008
    Wow, a good movie out of Hollywood that isnâ??t a commercial for the Dems â?? what a breath of fresh air!
  40. TomW.
    Oct 4, 2008
    As a conservative, I am appalled at the quality of this film. I wish there would have been some actual thought put into making it. the word "funny" cannot be used in describing this trash. This movie is garbage.
  41. gerald
    Oct 4, 2008
    Wow I love the people who voted for "The Worst President In The History Of America" getting all giddy over their ridiculously bad pre-election propoganda BS. Just proving that if it wasn't for the crowd who think art is a well told fart joke Dubya wouldn't even have seen the light of day.
  42. SalB.
    Oct 4, 2008
    pure drivel. I know a job is a job but surely most of these people didn't need the money. So why?
  43. NancyN.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Nice surprise! My husband dragged me to see it Friday night and it's first time in many many years that I didn't fall asleep part way through. If you can keep a straight face all the way through... you must be a serious grump.
  44. StanG
    Oct 4, 2008
    What a disappointment. Skewing Michael Moore by David Zucker sounds like a good idea, but slapdash filmaking, horrible mugging by non-actor Kevin Farley and virtually no laughs (they are all literally in the preview).. Only saving graces are Robert Davi and Kelsey Grammer. At least you get your money's worth. 83 minutes seemed like three hours,
  45. LiberalIdiot
    Oct 4, 2008
    The two reviewers, the Hollywood Reporter and LA Weekly, are just blatant DemonKraut leftist liberals. The Hollywood Reporter article has a line "...Democrats (sic; It's "Democratics" idiots...) are simply funnier". Blatant editorializing and has nothing to do with the movie. Not only that, since the overwhelming vast majority of "Hollywood" is liberal, it would stand to reason that The two reviewers, the Hollywood Reporter and LA Weekly, are just blatant DemonKraut leftist liberals. The Hollywood Reporter article has a line "...Democrats (sic; It's "Democratics" idiots...) are simply funnier". Blatant editorializing and has nothing to do with the movie. Not only that, since the overwhelming vast majority of "Hollywood" is liberal, it would stand to reason that Hollywood "Comedies" are made by liberals. And the vast overwhelming majority of Hollywood "comedies" SUCK!!! So, how does that make "Democrats" funnier? Oh right: because usually they are making fun of persons who are more conservative than Hollywood. And, in the mind of liberals, like the Hollywood Reporter, that "is funny". Now, since I have a REAL job, I don't have time to sit in a dark room all day and watch the crap, er "art" that comes out of Hollywood (vastly liberal). But I'll just bet I can come-up with a whole lot of unfunny "funny" Hollywood bits about Christians (especially Catholics!!!), Caucasian Middle Class Men (virtually every depiction a stereotype; ESPECIALLY as a "father", the Military, Wall Steet, Main Street, REPUBLICANS...you name it. So, LA Weakly critic, when you're writing a list of the associations in "Carol" that you think aren't funny or are "unfair", you be sure and trash all those vast number of comedies, created by USAmerica-hating Hollywood Liberals with the cliches above. But, of course, you'll be too busy laughing your @$$ off to make notes on it. Both of you critics should be fired for your blatant political biases. Expand
  46. JohnH.
    Oct 5, 2008
    What an hilarious send-up of right wing comedy! David Zucker really skewed the "silent majority's" lack of a sense of humor with this pitch-perfect impression of what a right-leaning spoof would be like! He lampooned how dated and irrelevant their targets are: Jimmy Carter and Michael Moore? haha, Yeah, and I got a new 8-track you need to listen to. He showed how contradictory they What an hilarious send-up of right wing comedy! David Zucker really skewed the "silent majority's" lack of a sense of humor with this pitch-perfect impression of what a right-leaning spoof would be like! He lampooned how dated and irrelevant their targets are: Jimmy Carter and Michael Moore? haha, Yeah, and I got a new 8-track you need to listen to. He showed how contradictory they can be at times. For example, Joe McCarthy is dismissed as a "drunken Senator", and they say McCarthyism "doesn't exist anymore" in a movie that accuses those who disagree of actively trying to destroy the country! Brilliant! He also lampooned the fantasy like nature quality of the "real America" Republicans believe in where everyone is good looking, in shape, and a model of responsible citizenry. Sound like any red-states you've been to?? Apparently Zucker didn't think so either. On a side note, I watched this movie in a very conservative town, and the stony silence of all of the conservatives sitting around me is ample evidence that the zingers hit their targets. Hahaha! I do wonder why they would pay 7.50 to see a movie that so thoroughly satires them, though. Expand
  47. AntonioD.
    Oct 5, 2008
    Its about time we had a movie that says it like it is , not afraid to stand up to the scum in Hollywood , I would see it again , laughed the whole time.
  48. ALT.
    Oct 5, 2008
    A must see movie. The people who have rated this a 0(zero) probably never even saw the movie and are Michael Moore worshipers. They can just go back to singing KUMBAHYAH and living in their fantasy world (denial).
  49. LayneD.
    Oct 5, 2008
    The liberal media HATES it - what does that tell you? Tells me I should go buy another ticket and see it again! Lots of the slapstick falls flat, but the overwhelmingly conservative patriotic message makes that very easy to forgive. I can't remember the last time a breath of fresh air blew out of Hollywood. It's great to know that there are still a hand full of people there who The liberal media HATES it - what does that tell you? Tells me I should go buy another ticket and see it again! Lots of the slapstick falls flat, but the overwhelmingly conservative patriotic message makes that very easy to forgive. I can't remember the last time a breath of fresh air blew out of Hollywood. It's great to know that there are still a hand full of people there who share a genuine love of country. Expand
  50. MichaelB.
    Oct 5, 2008
    I'm pretty sure the point of this movie was to confirm what most of us already knew: conservatives just can't do comedy. Zucker hasn't been funny since Baseketball, and hasn't been relevant since Airplane.
  51. Mike
    Oct 5, 2008
    This movie is absolutely hilarious. It's refreshing to see the left get skewered for once. It's equally entertaining to read the comments of the brain dead lefties coming out of the woodwork to defend the psychotic & indefensible Michael Moore. Kudo's to Zucker!
  52. SteveH.
    Oct 6, 2008
    Misfires occasionally but overall is right on target.
  53. EdO
    Oct 6, 2008
    100% pure garbage in case everyone forgot republicans and right-wing wacko's don't have a sense of humor watching this movie will remind you of just that. I just checked ti numbers and the movie flopped over the weekend so the only honorary thing for the entire cast left to do is just kill themselves.
  54. DanielS.
    Oct 6, 2008
    I love the fact that republican stooges are giving this a 10 on here.... I bet Nick M and Jack R are both Bill O'Rielly.
  55. BruceH
    Oct 7, 2008
    All of you hopeless naysayers don't "get it", because it is about you as much as it is about Michael Moore and the post '68 Hollywood "ick" factor. You have to understand real American history, real geopolitics and threats, and real American Culture. I may go see it again, and definitely add the DVD to my collection.
  56. JeffH.
    Oct 7, 2008
    Very good humor liberals will not like it.
  57. Tristram
    Oct 7, 2008
    Wow, imagine...all the libs hate the movie making fun of michael moore. weren't the conservatives supposed to be the ones who needed a sense of humor.
  58. MarkT.
    Oct 7, 2008
    It's about time. The fact that the left wing movie crictics can't laugh at themselves is the greatest loss in an otherwise fresh of breath air. Bravo!
  59. ManlyHunter
    Oct 8, 2008
    Said to be the most republican movie ever created, An American Carol, came pretty close to hitting the bulls eye. Making fun of Michael Moore, terrorists, liberals and the ACLU (the living dead), this movie was as funny as it was right wing. It had scenes that were not only politically incorrect, but were so revealing that they would make the NRA blush. The only changes that should have Said to be the most republican movie ever created, An American Carol, came pretty close to hitting the bulls eye. Making fun of Michael Moore, terrorists, liberals and the ACLU (the living dead), this movie was as funny as it was right wing. It had scenes that were not only politically incorrect, but were so revealing that they would make the NRA blush. The only changes that should have been made would have been more talk from Washington, elaborating on why Leslie Nealson had a machete, and possible adding more to the movie (We know that there are a lot of points that they could have included.) We hope that Hollywood did not get their nasty fingers on this film, but it seems that it was kept untainted. Overall, we thought that this movie was enjoyable, but with the election coming up we had hoped that it would have had a bigger American sock-it-to-ya punch. Although it lacked a bit it was a very enjoyable movie that made you happy to be a patriot and fighting the good fight. We recommend this movie to anyone tired of liberal propaganda and want a patriotic tale. Best to see again on July 4th. Expand
  60. PhilT
    Oct 9, 2008
    What a scream! My apologies to Mr. Farley, his likeness to Moore was right on! My theater was laughing so much I think I missed a few lines of dialogue here and there.
  61. TynanD
    Jan 13, 2009
    i feel this movie should not be discussed as a comedy. it is more like special interest. it did so horrible that people are being paid to write positive things about it. they will not make their 13 million back though is the only thing
  62. SabrinaD
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hilarious! Def. some low blows to the Liberals! but couldnt be more true! loved it!
  63. joshf
    Jan 4, 2009
    Haha i'm still laughing at just how terrible this movie is. i'm also laughing at the people defending this movie, the critics gave it low scores because it is a poorly directed, poorly written, poorly acted, typical parody, just like all the scary movies, epic movie, date movie, meet the spartans, and so on. and i think its downright hilarious that all these conservatives are Haha i'm still laughing at just how terrible this movie is. i'm also laughing at the people defending this movie, the critics gave it low scores because it is a poorly directed, poorly written, poorly acted, typical parody, just like all the scary movies, epic movie, date movie, meet the spartans, and so on. and i think its downright hilarious that all these conservatives are giving it a ten just because they agree with some of the points. a ten? you think this movie is a ten out of ten? a perfect? you say its just as good, or better, than the godfather, shawshank redemption, star wars, lord of the rings, forrest gump? methinks not. if you give this movie a ten, that just reveals your poor poor taste in entertainment. Expand
  64. davek
    Feb 1, 2009
    Has some pretty funny parts. I guess if I were a liberal person I would be offended and give it a bad review. It's refreshing to see somethiing come out of Hollywood that's not the same spoon-fed dolt fodder.
  65. MisuR
    Feb 8, 2009
    I like Michael Moore and I was looking forward to laughing at his expense. I love satire. The problem with this movie is that it lost all capabilities of producing real comedy. The slapstick was funny, but the overall bias destroyed the satire. It was an "If you don't believe how we believe, you are unpatriotic" mess. Kelsey Grammar is one of my favorite actors but the lines given to I like Michael Moore and I was looking forward to laughing at his expense. I love satire. The problem with this movie is that it lost all capabilities of producing real comedy. The slapstick was funny, but the overall bias destroyed the satire. It was an "If you don't believe how we believe, you are unpatriotic" mess. Kelsey Grammar is one of my favorite actors but the lines given to him made me want to puke. They just weren't funny. They were filled with pathetic generalizations. That is not comedy. Comedy makes fun of details (especially ones that we tend to look over). Even though I hate the way they portrayed the ACLU, it was still funny. I like killing zombies. The only laughed more at how the movie showed the inability of some Americans to see beyond black and white. It truly showed how ignorant too many of us tend to be. Whether you are liberal or conservative, this movie was not worth the money. I wouldn't even suggest renting it on DVD. Maybe watching it on cable when you have to clean the house. Expand
  66. MrEd
    Aug 2, 2009
    Absolutely hilarious. Seeing "Michael Monroe" being slapped by real Americans makes it worthwhile, but there's so much more. Rosie's part on the O'Reilly show was a hoot; add in; inept terrorists, the spirits of Patton, G. Washington and Kennedy teaching Michael M. about the real America, and the jabs at MM for only winning a "documentary" file award. Of course, Liberals Absolutely hilarious. Seeing "Michael Monroe" being slapped by real Americans makes it worthwhile, but there's so much more. Rosie's part on the O'Reilly show was a hoot; add in; inept terrorists, the spirits of Patton, G. Washington and Kennedy teaching Michael M. about the real America, and the jabs at MM for only winning a "documentary" file award. Of course, Liberals won't appreciate it (look at the media reviews!). Funny how "culture wars" are wrong when your viewpoint is under attack. Expand
  67. GerryF
    Oct 11, 2008
    Great Movie. I knew this movie would go over very poorly with the Left Wing Liberal Elitist media, rating this movie a dismal 20. Those lefties/socialist can never laugh at themselves, while they have no problem rating Michael Moore's movie sicko a 74. Soooooooo typical of the Left! At least the viewers can leave their comments, and a true rating can be provided, back out all those Great Movie. I knew this movie would go over very poorly with the Left Wing Liberal Elitist media, rating this movie a dismal 20. Those lefties/socialist can never laugh at themselves, while they have no problem rating Michael Moore's movie sicko a 74. Soooooooo typical of the Left! At least the viewers can leave their comments, and a true rating can be provided, back out all those lefty 0s and we have an 80! Nice! Expand
  68. Ted
    Oct 1, 2008
    Dis film... iz sooo delishus! A great statement on Micheal Moor and his PC bull. On a lot of people's PC bull, really.
  69. JeffL.
    Oct 1, 2008
    David Zucker: Ruining the once-great genre of movie he worked so hard to create one horrible train wreck after another.
  70. PJunlisted
    Oct 14, 2008
    I thought this might be funny, but it wasn't even funny in a stupid way....not even in an unintended cult way. there's no saving it. save your brain cell and dollars. see anything else.
  71. HarryS.
    Oct 18, 2008
    About time a movie like this came along. Michael Moore is an idiot and what is wrong with America.
  72. ZackG
    Oct 18, 2008
    Someone needs to displace the surge of brainwashed conservatives in this site. The movie is of horrible quality and provides no meaningful satire. Stop lying to yourselves, the people who vote highly of this movie are the same ones who are destroying this country.
  73. DustinH.
    Oct 2, 2008
    Another quickie parody film loaded with scads of cameos by David Zucker. Unfortunately anyone expecting something on par with Team America will be sorely disappointed as most jokes seem to follow the same tired Superhero/Scary Movie formula.
  74. BillM.
    Oct 2, 2008
    Saw a private screening, and this movie is just not funny, the jokes are stale and flat. And the political humor, or attempt thereof is too steeped in rhetoric. Half of the audience left, bored.
  75. MD
    Oct 2, 2008
    I saw a pre-screening of this, and I see why they haven't let professional reviewers anywhere near it -- it's horribly done, idiotic, and hateful. Jokes are supposed to be funny, not insulting to more than half the nation. This movie is also why rabid political folks should stay away from creative film making (as compared to documentaries) -- blindly following an ideology gets I saw a pre-screening of this, and I see why they haven't let professional reviewers anywhere near it -- it's horribly done, idiotic, and hateful. Jokes are supposed to be funny, not insulting to more than half the nation. This movie is also why rabid political folks should stay away from creative film making (as compared to documentaries) -- blindly following an ideology gets in the way of making a decent, entertaining film. This is neither decent, nor entertaining. Just ... well, hateful is the word that keeps coming to mind. Expand
  76. EdF.
    Oct 2, 2008
    This movie was godawful. I walked out after a half hour. It was painfully unfunny and honestly quite sad.
  77. AnonymousMC
    Oct 23, 2008
  78. bc
    Oct 26, 2008
    I think that Zucker's films have been OK, and this one's again OK. I find the reaction of those with liberal leanings and empty heads to be entertaining though. Hey, if you can't take a joke, it must have hit too close to home. Take that weenies.
  79. KarenS.
    Oct 28, 2008
    This film portrayed a very comedic parody of not only Michael Moore, but of terrorists as well. It was a feel-good, patriotic movie for those of us who still believe in America!
  80. DennisC
    Oct 3, 2008
    Unlike those who were invited to private screenings (not exactly a subjective bunch), I paid to see this film and it misses more often than it hits. While South Park has managed to bring a conservative spin on broad humor it's never lost sight of the overall hypocracy on both sides of the political aisle and virtually everyone is a target. This film fails on that count in that Unlike those who were invited to private screenings (not exactly a subjective bunch), I paid to see this film and it misses more often than it hits. While South Park has managed to bring a conservative spin on broad humor it's never lost sight of the overall hypocracy on both sides of the political aisle and virtually everyone is a target. This film fails on that count in that there's but a single target (the left) and Zucker seems to have forgotten what satire is. Most on the right will love it, the left will despise it and those with a more subjective view will walk away realizing they what they watched was a political diatribe that's a bit short on laughs. Expand
  81. FrankH.
    Oct 3, 2008
    Wow! This was pathetically bad. The cast is full of has beens and there are whole bits with no punchline---just a big lecture. You will enjoy it if you are a right wing kool aid drinker though.
  82. MichaelV.
    Oct 3, 2008
    Absolutely abysmal. No wonder the studio wouldn't allow critics to view the movie before it came out, it's an absolute train-wreck. Chris Farley shares exactly NONE of his brother's charisma or comic prowess and is simply atrocious in his role as the buffoonish, two-dimensional Michael Moore character. And the rest of the cast is a veritable Who's Who of Absolutely abysmal. No wonder the studio wouldn't allow critics to view the movie before it came out, it's an absolute train-wreck. Chris Farley shares exactly NONE of his brother's charisma or comic prowess and is simply atrocious in his role as the buffoonish, two-dimensional Michael Moore character. And the rest of the cast is a veritable Who's Who of straight-to-DVD actors such as Kelsey Grammer and Leslie Nielsen. I admit, I only went to see a screening of this movie because it was free and I figured hey, why not see how the other side of the aisle gets their laughs. Well, you'll probably won't be shocked to learn that their is a damn good reason there is a complete vacuum in the entertainment industry when it comes to "Republican humor". The entire concept is a complete OXYMORON. This pitiful attempt at red-state friendly entertainment ranks right up there with Fox New's cancelled stab at comedy, the Half-hour News Hour, by being completely void of anything even remotely approaching comedy or wit. Since its clear by their refusal to screen this movie to critics that the studio that released this turd clearly knows how god-awful it is and wishes to screw you out of your money nonetheless, I felt it my duty to emphasize to you just how unfunny and poorly made this movie was before you go out and get mugged out of an hour-and-a-half of your life you'll never get back. Knowing something about the movie industry myself, I think I can unabashedly say that this movie will be pulled from most screens in, at most, two weeks max. Do yourself a favor and stay clear until then. Expand
  83. EvanS.
    Oct 3, 2008
    What a hateful, stinking pile of garbage. There's zero humor in it and the posts Meta Critic is surfacing on the home page are plants.
  84. JimK.
    Oct 3, 2008
    Much funnier than I ever expected. Great humor for anyone who loves politically incorrect.
  85. ParrishM.
    Oct 3, 2008
    An American Carol is the best comedy I have seen in a very long time. Patriotic + Funny = Perfection. A big Thank You to all those involved in making this movie!
  86. SteveB
    Oct 3, 2008
    This was humor and parody at it's best: all the more hilariously sad because there are so many out there that fit the molds that are skewered by Zucker and his cast!!
  87. NickM
    Oct 3, 2008
    Absolutely hilarious......this is truely one of the best slapstick comedies i have ever seen!!
  88. JayV.
    Oct 3, 2008
    As a Democrat, even I I could appreciate the humor but then I knew what I was getting into. Heavy handed, yes but at least an attempt to begin to balance the scales in film-making. Propaganda, maybe, but pushing love or country not hate and anger. And not another anti-government/ conspiracy film. Many apects of truth found here. While not a great piece of film, I have to respect Zucker As a Democrat, even I I could appreciate the humor but then I knew what I was getting into. Heavy handed, yes but at least an attempt to begin to balance the scales in film-making. Propaganda, maybe, but pushing love or country not hate and anger. And not another anti-government/ conspiracy film. Many apects of truth found here. While not a great piece of film, I have to respect Zucker for his exercising his right of free speech. Expand
  89. MattO.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Whether or not you agree with the views, the movie gets it's point across well, without sounding too preachy. It is actually a decent movie and a good comedy.
  90. dh
    Oct 4, 2008
    What an expose of the liberal media!!! Not the movie itself, which is great, but the COVERAGE by the critics! I'm writing this on Saturday afternoon (American Carol came out yesterday) and so far only 2 reviewers are listed as having reviewed it! Not enough reviews for Metacritic to even give it a score! I've never seen a movie in wide release be so totally ignored by the What an expose of the liberal media!!! Not the movie itself, which is great, but the COVERAGE by the critics! I'm writing this on Saturday afternoon (American Carol came out yesterday) and so far only 2 reviewers are listed as having reviewed it! Not enough reviews for Metacritic to even give it a score! I've never seen a movie in wide release be so totally ignored by the critics!!! Sounds like they think if they ignore it, it will go away! ...or is it a form of liberal censorship???? Why won't they even cover it??? Sounds like those principles of fairness and free speech don't apply to movies from a conservative point of view! Expand
  91. BillW
    Oct 4, 2008
    Thank God someone is giving it to the liberals for once. No, liberal bias how come most theaters aren't running it.
  92. JoeyM.
    Oct 4, 2008
    I have been a conservative voter all my life and am going to vote that way again this year. I regret, however, that I "voted" for this movie with my hard earned money. It is possible to create great conservative comedy, but the words "great" and "comedy" apparently have no business in the same sentence as "Jerry Zucker." The humor is constructed around the idea that audiences are too I have been a conservative voter all my life and am going to vote that way again this year. I regret, however, that I "voted" for this movie with my hard earned money. It is possible to create great conservative comedy, but the words "great" and "comedy" apparently have no business in the same sentence as "Jerry Zucker." The humor is constructed around the idea that audiences are too stupid to recognize the difference between "ha ha liberals are dumb" and actual jokes. If this is the best comedy that Hollywood conservatives can produce then I'm afraid the liberals are going to continue to dominate Hollywood for years to come. For shame, gentlemen, for shame. Expand
  93. JoshuaB.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Great movie!! Sorry about you liberals and your God hating ways..You've been exposed!!
  94. MikeS.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Hilarious! We need more like this one!
  95. GaryS.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Classic well written attack on the Ameriphobics of our country. Great humor and also sadness how some people in our country undermine our survival.
  96. DougJ.
    Oct 4, 2008
    No wonder the NT Times didn't like it. It was about them and their kind. Thought it was lol funny. The people at my showing seemed to really like. Farly was great. Although he is better looking than Michael Moore.
  97. CharlesP.
    Oct 4, 2008
    I can't say that my politics are very conservative (except in making government smaller), but this film makes "Baby Geniuses" seems like "Citizen Kane." I can appreciate a well-made film regardless of its agenda. "Patton" and "Dirty Harry" are great, quality films with a Conservative bent. "An American Carol" is not. This movie is not quality film-making. The writing, as Shakespeare I can't say that my politics are very conservative (except in making government smaller), but this film makes "Baby Geniuses" seems like "Citizen Kane." I can appreciate a well-made film regardless of its agenda. "Patton" and "Dirty Harry" are great, quality films with a Conservative bent. "An American Carol" is not. This movie is not quality film-making. The writing, as Shakespeare wrote, "is a tale told by an idiot: full of sound and fury and signifying nothing." And NOT funny. The acting - (Dennis Hopper, go watch your early work and strive for half of that artistry) - is painful. They say, "drama is hard, but comedy is harder." In this case, Kevin Farley (the Frank Stallone of the comedy world) must think drama is impossible. As to the dual credits of direction/writing, David Zucker has completely lost it. I loved his earlier work, but he hasn't worked on an artistically successful film in over ten years, and it shows. Sort of like Dennis Hopper. Expand
  98. DavidH.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Wow -- going after Michael Moore. How daring. How bold. Because the entire liberal power system rests on him, right? But if the movie was just a bad idea, fair enough -- it's not just a bad idea, it's horrific, make-you-never-wanna-see-a-movie-again-in-your-life bad from start to finish. I'd rather eat my lower intestine than see another minute of this film.
  99. BagOfHammers
    Oct 5, 2008
    Wow, there are more plants in here than at the Home Depot Nursery. Look, if a film is funny I'll laugh, I don't give a crap about politics, but this film was....not...funny. Rates right down there with all the Epic/Date/Scary Movie parodies. I laughed more during Meet the Spartans and that film sucked. The 9/11 sequence was sickening (anybody who uses that to score political Wow, there are more plants in here than at the Home Depot Nursery. Look, if a film is funny I'll laugh, I don't give a crap about politics, but this film was....not...funny. Rates right down there with all the Epic/Date/Scary Movie parodies. I laughed more during Meet the Spartans and that film sucked. The 9/11 sequence was sickening (anybody who uses that to score political points, right or left, is a total scumbag). Even if you live off of Bill Orielly and Ann Coulter's "OMG!! Libruls are teh ghey!" propaganda, you will still be disappointed (although I'm sure you won't admit it). Complete crap. Okay, you can start calling me names now. Expand
  100. c4Logic
    Oct 5, 2008
    It's totally lame and unfunny. I always thought Airplane was funny, and I have seen funny political satire before, and I don't even mind some dumb humor, but this just failed to resonate truthfully against anything in reality. All the jokes were about tired old right wind strawmen. It just tried too hard.

1. The sole laughs are scored by Robert Davi, amusingly playing it straight as a Muslim terrorist who wants to hire Malone to make a suicide bomber recruitment film.
    Astonishingly inept alleged satire.
    Cheap shots and mean spirits abound, as do celebrity cameos (James Woods, Jon Voight, Dennis Hopper, Kelsey Grammer). But it's the laziness of the writing that most offends.