7.9

1. Oct 6, 2011
    Director Lon Scherfig orchestrates his french maturity movie "An Education" with consistency, maintaining the tone of the movie pretty classy. Other than that, Peter Sarsgaard also does a superb performance throughout the movie. It's a film that deeply troubled teens will watch and understand.
  2. JoelM.
    Mar 31, 2010
    Overrated creepy, unbelievable film. Parents pimping their daughter portrayed as comedic. Film is as manipulative and puerile as the central male character. Typical of the director's approach: if we don't like the schoolmaster's point of view, make her an anti-semitic monster. Heroine's wisdom at the end amounts to "been there, done that" as an epiphany.
  3. GrafZ
    Feb 8, 2010
    It's well made and well acted, but after 40 or 50 minutes everything just falls apart. Or maybe it's just me tired of dumb moralizing.
  4. Nov 4, 2011
    An Education is a nice coming-of-age tale with an important message that may resonant with a lot of young people. And it sports an impressive cast and a star-making performance from Carey Mulligan. 4/4 stars.
  5. JamesL
    Nov 9, 2009
    Did I miss something or did I just see 2009's equivalent of "Happy Go Lucky"? There was nothing fresh, original, or interesting about this film. We have seen the plot before and the ending was a let down. The entire film was a big let down. An 85 review. I do not see how!
  6. NormG
    Nov 7, 2009
    Geez, is Carey Mulligan ever going to look old? She pretty much looks 14 as she did five years ago in Bleak House. Here she plays a saucy smart 16 year old on her way to Oxford. You have no problem guessing where the story ends, but along the way Jenny, and her family, get a little different education than you
  7. Mila
    Mar 14, 2010
    "Mulligan was perfect"? What came over you, people?! She doesn't develop a character at all
  8. Sep 5, 2010
    An Education is a great movie. Carey Mulligan could be the next Natalie Portman. It's one of the best British films ever made. I loved it. Be sure to see it.
  9. Jan 26, 2011
    Having missed this in theaters was glad to see it on Netflix instant - anticipated an excellent film. Boy was I disappointed and weirded out. The premise is absurd - older guy semi-stalks 16 yr old and then gets her parents' permission to not only date her but etc. So on that level quite pervy and bizarre. Add to that the older guy is "a Jew" who is rather shady on several levels, and hisHaving missed this in theaters was glad to see it on Netflix instant - anticipated an excellent film. Boy was I disappointed and weirded out. The premise is absurd - older guy semi-stalks 16 yr old and then gets her parents' permission to not only date her but etc. So on that level quite pervy and bizarre. Add to that the older guy is "a Jew" who is rather shady on several levels, and his Jewishness is made a central theme. So we have a pervy older Jew corrupting a beautiful young thing with her parents' blissful encouragement. Please - this is supposed to be charming? It's perverse. Yuch. Expand
  10. Sep 29, 2010
    Within the film industry, there are types of movies that are created simply to just please the eye or take a break from the monotony of life for a couple hours of adrenaline and testosterone. While there are some that are created to inspire its audience in some positive or even a negative way. A perfect example of an inspirational movie that anyone average movie goer can relate to isWithin the film industry, there are types of movies that are created simply to just please the eye or take a break from the monotony of life for a couple hours of adrenaline and testosterone. While there are some that are created to inspire its audience in some positive or even a negative way. A perfect example of an inspirational movie that anyone average movie goer can relate to is Disney Pixar's Up, which depicts an elderly man overcoming his dull and boring life to reach a life filled with substance. One can say that An Education follows the same model, but instead of achieving a life filled with pleasure and glamor, it shows an individual having this coveted life, and eventually losing it.

An Education is the screen adaptation of author Nick Hornby's, writer of About A Boy, screenplay with the identical title. It is a coming-of-age story about a high school student from London named Jenny, Carey Mulligan, who embarks on a relationship with a man twice her own age, with this relationship she receives a life that any teenager would dream to have. An Education is Carey Mulligan's breakthrough role, who has been unknown to the general audience starring in small roles such as last year's Public Enemies. This movie does a fantastic job in introducing the actress, whose maturity resembles an actress much older. Jenny then eventually comes to a dark conclusion about this rich-filled life. Spoilers set aside, the dark conclusion is very inspiring in both a dark and negative way and depicts really how life truly is.

An Education, in simple words, does things right. Its star-studded English cast, which includes Alfred Molina, Emma Thompson, and Rosamund Pike(Pride & Prejudice), shines as they represent various types of characters. From a rich unintelligent woman, to an average instructor that one encounters in day-to-day life. It's artistic view of London, the night-life, and Paris, is simply beautiful due to it's simplicity. It's dialogue that adds to both character development and subtle humor. The soundtrack filled with vintage and classical tunes that add to the overall mood of the story. And it ultimately conveys a true life, a life that's possible, and how it possesses both good times and bad.

Some negative aspects of the movie include racial stereotypes expressed by the author. The movie is filled with some anti-semitic feelings that are somewhat unnecessary for the film. This ambiguity towards the Jewish community is totally irrelevant to the story, and could have been left out. The only positivity of this aspect is that it portrays racial feelings expressed in 1960s London. But even at that, it could have been removed.

Overall, An Education is one of my favorite films of 2009. I cannot really say what inspired me from this movie due to spoiler reasons, but I can say that every student should watch it. It really shows why it's all important, and that life doesn't have its shortcuts. An Education has been recently nominated for Best Picture, but will be sadly overshadowed by hyped films such as Avatar, or Inglorious Basterds. Carey Mulligan is my pick for Best Actress because her performance is truly impeccable, but I have a feeling Sandra Bullock's overhyped performance in "The Blind Side," will beat it. Anyway, awards set aside, An Education is a remarkable film, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a film with purpose.
  11. Feb 9, 2011
    The major failing of this film is that for much of its duration, the film is dominated by unsympathetic characters. Carey Mulligan's Jenny begins a precocious show-off that simply doesn't do enough to win the audience over in the first act to make us care about her undoing in the second. Peter Sarsgaard's David has too much screen-time with no purpose other than to reinforce hisThe major failing of this film is that for much of its duration, the film is dominated by unsympathetic characters. Carey Mulligan's Jenny begins a precocious show-off that simply doesn't do enough to win the audience over in the first act to make us care about her undoing in the second. Peter Sarsgaard's David has too much screen-time with no purpose other than to reinforce his unwholesome motivations which, unfortunately, are screamingly obvious from the outset. The films soul lies with the Jenny's father and teacher (Alfred Molina and Olivia Williams on excellent form) -- underused characters the resolution of whose plotlines serve to make the film's final quarter of an hour by far its most entertaining. Half a good film.

The underused Olivia Williams and Alfred Molina are
  12. Ryan
    May 2, 2010
    I loved this movie. Carey Mulligan was amazing, she should have won the Oscar, in my opinion.
  13. JamesH.
    Apr 7, 2010
    95/100. This film works on every level. It
  14. DanaM
    Oct 20, 2009
    A film that keeps you thinking, about your own upbringing, and the direction of the story. At times uncomfortable, and at times humorous, this film should be on everyone's must-see list
  15. GeorgeM
    Oct 9, 2009
    An almost perfect film. I generally despise coming of age tales and really hate older-man/young-girl stories. However, joy and energy pulsates from the screen. Will transport you back to the optimism of your youth before the hard truths start to pile up.
  16. EggyG
    Feb 15, 2010
    Carrey Mulligan was perfect...delivered wonderful performance. Love the movie style and pace, but kinda disappointed with weak ending...felt anti climax. Overall still a nice movie.
  17. HashimN.
    Feb 17, 2010
    education is very important for life and also for death After providing background on the characteristics of
  18. AndyG.
    Jan 13, 2010
    Started wonderfully, but seems to cop-out on its 'there's more to life than education' tale and instead opts for a startlingly (Time Out New York said it best;) 'moralistic' ending - That men are pigs and girls should stay in school 'because'. I'm also amazed that her teachers and headmistress had no insight into the purpose of education. Worth a Started wonderfully, but seems to cop-out on its 'there's more to life than education' tale and instead opts for a startlingly (Time Out New York said it best;) 'moralistic' ending - That men are pigs and girls should stay in school 'because'. I'm also amazed that her teachers and headmistress had no insight into the purpose of education. Worth a watch for the performances. Expand
  19. JohnM
    Feb 13, 2010
    An absolutely charming film about an era we will never see again. Carrie Mulligan's performance as an old teenager is spot on, while Alfred Molina hits a high mark as a father with doubts and fears that gets through life on stubborness. A MUST SEE FOR TEENAGERS, PARENTS, AND THOSE WHO LIVED IN THE '60'S.
  20. KennethS
    Feb 15, 2010
    An Education is acted out wonderfully, and newcomer Carey Mulligan is sharp and witty playing Jenny. Though it has a familiar plot, An Education never feels cliched or dull. It could have a better screenplay; the ending was a little too abrupt and blunt.
  21. LindaL
    Feb 7, 2010
    I'll remember the lovely face of the winsome lead actress, and not much else. It's a coming-of-age story that yields some rather wary laughs before turning into a morality tale.
  22. SB
    May 16, 2010
    An average feel-good film you'll soon forget.
  23. DebraKK
    Jun 6, 2010
    Have just run across this dvd. what a wonderful zany movie! Carey Mulligan as the scheming Jenny (scheming, as she angles for a trip to Paris --& gets it!) is funny; Sarsgaard as David is wonderful; Rosamund Pike is hysterically funny as Helen (in one sense, not bright, but, in another sense, able to light up a room with her smile); Alfred Molina and ? (forgive my memory) were like my Have just run across this dvd. what a wonderful zany movie! Carey Mulligan as the scheming Jenny (scheming, as she angles for a trip to Paris --& gets it!) is funny; Sarsgaard as David is wonderful; Rosamund Pike is hysterically funny as Helen (in one sense, not bright, but, in another sense, able to light up a room with her smile); Alfred Molina and ? (forgive my memory) were like my parents. You even get Emma Thompson and Olivia Williams. This is first-rate casting. The movie is based on British journalist Lynn Barber's memoir of her real life romance in the 1961 to 1963 period. Maybe the movie's release on dvd and the deserved Oscar nominations will allow more people a chance to see this. (You probably had to drive a long distance to see this on the big screen.) Please see this if you haven't already! (Second effort at posting as first effort resulted in script error message.) Expand
  24. AndresU
    Nov 1, 2009
    Absolutely excellent film. One of the best films I've seen this year
  25. DeanR
    Oct 18, 2009
    Subtle and disarming. Her parents WERE my parents. Brilliantly acted, written, and directed.
  26. PeterG
    Dec 22, 2009
    If the movie had been about 1 minute shorter, stopping immediately after the scene where she asked her former English teacher for help, I would have rated it more highly. The last minute wraps things up too quickly, neatly and simply, making sure we know everything turns out all right. A typical ending for an American script, not a good European one.
  27. Happy
    Dec 6, 2009
    Wonderful, faithfully recreated tale from a bygone non-pc era.
  28. roberti
    Dec 6, 2009
    Spot-on evocation of a time, but more importantly, an achingly poignant, pitch-perfect portrait of an ultrabright young Englishwoman's coming of age. Hits you like a tidal wave, despite its conventional plot.
  29. KevinA
    Feb 14, 2010
    Excellent performance from Carey Mulligan, a few weaknbesses in the script was the only thing stopping this from being rated a touch higher.
  30. DarleenO
    Nov 16, 2009
    This film raises and then skates breezily over some interesting feminist history. Ultimately, the motives of the main characters aren't believable. Carey Mulligan is wonderful, though.
  31. EdwardK
    Nov 21, 2009
    As some have suggested, the plot is predictable, but oh the performances. And most of the characters and script are outstanding. Perhaps the father and the headmistress are overdrawn, but Jenny (Carey Mulligan) and David (Peter Sarsgaard) and their friends were well worth watching.
  32. JamieS
    Nov 22, 2009
    A medium disappointment. Sad to give it a 6, but that's what it deserves. It was choppy, had several technical mistakes, but watchable. Jenny was decent enough, but it didn't gel enough to be entertaining. The highlight was probably the 2 minutes of Beth Rowley
  33. CareyS
    Nov 25, 2009
    This is a beautiful film with engaging characters and a delightful real life plot. Jenny is wonderful as the not so naive young woman. The sixties, sort of, but not yet the sixties we now know.
  34. MichelleD
    Nov 26, 2009
    A very hypnotic film. I hope that there will be some major awards ( and much wider distribution than currently here in the US ).
  35. RichardE
    Nov 26, 2009
    This is a mostly well-done movie with a knock-out performance at the center, and some nice ambiguities -- but there are some real problems with its (plural word coming) politics. A problem-and-a-half could have been handled easily if one doesn't mind a major change from a source, and this one doesn't: David is just "David" until Jenny discovers letters addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. This is a mostly well-done movie with a knock-out performance at the center, and some nice ambiguities -- but there are some real problems with its (plural word coming) politics. A problem-and-a-half could have been handled easily if one doesn't mind a major change from a source, and this one doesn't: David is just "David" until Jenny discovers letters addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. David Gold." Make that "Mr. and Mrs. David Bulwer-Smythe," and have David's ethnicity and class remain ambiguous -- the man *is* a liar -- and that would help with the anti-Semitic undertone and middle-class anxiety about both the upper-class and lower-middle rung-grabbers. As the film stands, we have a Jewish adult male as a seducer of a nice gentile/Aryan, a Jew who is not just a thief but a block-busting realtor helping dark-skinned people move into the neighborhood. Emma Thompson's Headmistress's speech on Jews as Christ-killers is misdirectiion: the real fears insufficiently addressed are "The Lustful Jew" and "The International Jewish/Black Conspiracy." As others have said, the feminist message is undercut by having Headmistress antiJewish; its an additional problem when it confuses the anti-Semitism. The anti-Romantic message in the film is okay, but _An Education_ also teaches fear and distrust of adult strangers and reinforces (among other stereotypes) that of the Stupid Teen who needs to stick to her own kind and the conventional teachings of middle-class prudence. There's much to be said for such prudence, but chronic distrust of strangers reinforces age-segregation and helps eat away at social solidarity. I will seriously consider the message here next time I'm tempted to offer a lift to any teenager caught in the rain with the possibility of her -- or his, for that matter -- precious cello getting ruined. Adult strangers who offer a favor are obviously up to no good! Expand
  36. AndrewW
    Nov 27, 2009
    This is a must see! A real moviegoing experience!
  37. Johnl
    Nov 29, 2009
    Great acting and a scary/dreamy script with a distinctly different plot yet somehow it seems hollow.
  38. JeffS
    Nov 3, 2009
    I couldn't agree more with Time Out New York. I was onboard with the film until the abrupt and insulting ending which made everything that had preceded it much, much less interesting.
  39. Lewis
    Oct 22, 2009
    Slow and I'm sorry but not very interesting. The performances were all good, but I don't really understand all the Oscar buzz. Alfred Molina is pretty great in it, but the rest drags.
  40. FilipeM
    Nov 12, 2009
    The kind of movie with a script that will hardly take your eyes off the screen. A must see of 2009.
  41. CLR
    Nov 22, 2009
    This is easily the best film I've seen this year. Jenny is a delight as a young lady both man - ipulative & man - ipulated, unwisely loving & trusting & unwisely loved & trusted. She uses & sins & is used & sinned against. But more sinned against than sinning. We love her zest, her gusto, & her determination, for no shrinking violet can she be. The film is based on fact, & it remains This is easily the best film I've seen this year. Jenny is a delight as a young lady both man - ipulative & man - ipulated, unwisely loving & trusting & unwisely loved & trusted. She uses & sins & is used & sinned against. But more sinned against than sinning. We love her zest, her gusto, & her determination, for no shrinking violet can she be. The film is based on fact, & it remains close to the original autobiography. A delightful recreation of a by-gone era. Please do see it !!! Expand
  42. BillyS
    Nov 24, 2009
    In 2 hours while watching An Education, you witness the complete transformation of a school girl into a complex, refined woman, all in the beautiful Carey Mulligan, who critics are comparing to Audrey Hepburn, but without the black dress and sunglasses I see a young Diane Keaton throughout the movie. She is a definite lock for an Oscar Nomination. The rest of the cast, Alfred Molina, In 2 hours while watching An Education, you witness the complete transformation of a school girl into a complex, refined woman, all in the beautiful Carey Mulligan, who critics are comparing to Audrey Hepburn, but without the black dress and sunglasses I see a young Diane Keaton throughout the movie. She is a definite lock for an Oscar Nomination. The rest of the cast, Alfred Molina, Olivia Williams and Rosamund Pike in paticular, are terrific in a smart, funny and poignant script under top notch direction by Lone Scherfig. An Education is going to be a major contender come awards season. Expand
  43. suzyd
    Dec 19, 2009
    Loved it. One of the best movies of 2009. Carey Mulligan was wonderful. Alfred Molina was hysterically funny. Peter Sarsgaard was brilliant.
  44. Aug 27, 2010
    Carey Mulligan plays a naive teenager looking for fulfillment, torn between the wishes of her father, who pushes her to attend Oxford University, and an older womanizer who wants her to explore life while she is still young. The post-war English setting is great, along with all the performances, and the evolution of Mulligan's character makes the film well worth watching.
  45. Sep 17, 2010
    I remember hearing about this and thinking it would be a typical British melodrama. I was wrong because An Education is actually an entertaining and romantic drama that makes a star of its young star Carey Mulligan - whose presence on screen is truly remarkable. Her performance as the 16 year old Jenny who falls for the much older Peter Sarsgaard, is simply sublime. Alfred Molina as theI remember hearing about this and thinking it would be a typical British melodrama. I was wrong because An Education is actually an entertaining and romantic drama that makes a star of its young star Carey Mulligan - whose presence on screen is truly remarkable. Her performance as the 16 year old Jenny who falls for the much older Peter Sarsgaard, is simply sublime. Alfred Molina as the father, Jack is brilliant and at times, hilarious. The film itself is nicely put together and it's like a giant homage to the 60's school life. That's a good thing. Expand
  46. Jan 19, 2011
    This movie is just utterly amazing. Carey Mulligan displays such passion in this role, I truly believe that she is someone to watch in the future. I have never been a huge fan of Peter Sarsgaard especially after watching the orphan the previous night, but this film restored my faith in him as an actor. The only downfall I felt that this film had was its ending, I left feeling unsatisfied,This movie is just utterly amazing. Carey Mulligan displays such passion in this role, I truly believe that she is someone to watch in the future. I have never been a huge fan of Peter Sarsgaard especially after watching the orphan the previous night, but this film restored my faith in him as an actor. The only downfall I felt that this film had was its ending, I left feeling unsatisfied, I wanted a bigger ending, I wanted to know more about Peter's character. However in hindsight this movie is truly inspirational and I wish that my age group saw films like this instead of the trashy movies advertised on MTV. Expand
  47. Sep 25, 2011
    An Education is a tastefully crafted movie with good characters, acting and a meaningful story to important life lessons. The film makers did a good job not over complicating the story, unneeded conflict is far too common in most modern films and this movie manages to get a good balance. I felt cultured and that I had learnt something after watching this movie, the female lead also plays aAn Education is a tastefully crafted movie with good characters, acting and a meaningful story to important life lessons. The film makers did a good job not over complicating the story, unneeded conflict is far too common in most modern films and this movie manages to get a good balance. I felt cultured and that I had learnt something after watching this movie, the female lead also plays a fun and interesting character worth remembering. Recommended Expand
  48. Apr 14, 2012
    Crammed with great acting and powerful storytelling, An Education rises above the normal romantic film by providing a realistic sense of life and a bold point to make sure it stands out. Although the second half falls low in character; it is no secret that An Education is an excellent film. Particular praise to Carey Mulligan, who offers a strong and diverse performance.
  49. May 14, 2013
    There probably aren't enough words to outline how beautiful, enjoyable, emotionally driven and often humorous the fantastic An Education is,but lets try anyway.
    Taking place in 1962, we meet Jenny, a 16 year-old schoolgirl, played very convincingly and warming by Carey Mulligan, we see Jenny being swept off her feet by the mysterious and confident David, (played by Peter Sarsgaard), in a time when an Oxford education is sought after, but a wealthy husband will do just fine.
    Jenny is introduced to a world alive and full of colour when she is in David's company, joined by his friends Helen (Rosamund Pike) and Danny (Dominic Cooper), they embark on a journey throughout the lives of free-spirited individuals, concerts, late night suppers, trips throughout the country and beyond. The film really outlines just how different life was in 1960s Britain, it was perhaps more acceptable for the events that unfold in the film, but with such a sunny outlook there are of course clouds in the distance.
    As common sense would go, its natural for people to be concerned about the blossoming relationship, simply for how much brighter the other path seems, its a difficult and thoughtful concept of educational needs over living life through your own accordance.
    Peter Sarsgaard puts in a fantastic performance as the classy and forthright David, someone who gets what he wants, and knows just what to say, but without ever seeming deceiving or over-bearing about it. Sarsgaard perfectly captures someone who easily sways those around him to live life in the fast lane.
    Mulligan puts a superb performance in as the smart, witty and beautiful schoolgirl Jenny, a girl who loves to think for herself, but rarely sees a life outside of her books and overbearing yet kind-hearted father (Alfred Molina).
    The era that the film is set in is perfectly handled by the superb writing and wonderfully acted gem of a film, that never tries to aim too high above what story it is telling, it never claims to be something it isn't.
    While the ending was a little weak and too expected after the last half hour, this is a wonderful film that takes a risky subject but in a way opens up the eyes of the younger generation to all sorts of opportunities, outlining that not everything is black and white.
  50. Sep 1, 2014
    This film bears more than one great education--not only for the cast but also for its audience. Carey Mulligan breaks through with this shining performance (and one of the best of the year).
  51. Jan 11, 2013
    I liked it. But there aren't really any great moments.
  52. May 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jenny doesn't just get An Education at Oxford, she gets a life education as well. David is a charming man–everyone is enamored. He's wealthy, smart, has fun,, and is quite a bit older than Jenny. Her parents only want the best for her, which seems to be an education, but they meet this shiny new person and this shiny new relationship which may be able to provide more for their daughter than any education ever could. I saw the relationship as one that was not only wrong due to their age, but also quite disturbing in how an older man would prey on a 16 year-old girl.

Jenny is an excellent student and devotes most of her time to her studies, learning as much as she can to be prepared for this magnificent education and future that her parents have planned. But with David it's different. She has fun, and isn't that all everyone wants to do? It's not sustainable though. Her grades start to slip and all of a sudden she loses interest in school altogether because she's found greener grass. A husband. "Money doesn't grow on trees" is a sentiment echoed from both Jenny's father and David, and on one side we have a man who is trying to provide for his family and the other is a thief who just wants all the luxuries in life without working for them.

The movie starts to expose these flaws about David and their relationship that we see quite clearly, but Jenny's young and naïve eyes gloss over. It's uneasy but she throws her future away anyway. David's promises and gifts get larger and larger as the web he spins becomes stronger and stronger until Jenny is stuck. She has nowhere to go but to him. It's not like she doesn't receive fair warning "I'm telling you to go to Oxford no matter what because if you don't, you'll break my heart," she just follows what she thinks is her heart instead. But who can blame her?

Then the bomb is dropped just as Jenny is promised this magnificent life. David is married and Jenny has flushed her education down the drain. This is her rock bottom and she really has nowhere to go but up with the help of her teacher. I'm not very old myself, but from the beginning I knew this was bad for Jenny, if only because of his age. He's had many relationships with other girls and Jenny is no different no matter how special he made her feel. She just has to pick up the pieces and start again. It was a coming-of-age story, but one that I almost which would have given more independence to the girl to show her own future and recognize that this relationship was wrong. But you live and you learn. "I feel old, but not very wise."

1. Topped by a fine cast, a first-rate script by Nick Hornby and tight direction by Lone Scherfig, the film is a smart, moving but not inaccessible entry in the coming-of-age canon.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Carey Mulligan shines in a captivating performance.
  3. For all its original touches, though, An Education follows a conventional trajectory.