Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: November 21, 1997
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 78 Ratings
Watch Now
paulgreenFeb 8, 2012
Marvelous! Easily the movie! I am from Russia and I know a lot abour Anasrasia.... May be it si not true , but I think It is the greatest animation movie has ever been !
MovieLonely94Jun 29, 2011
It looks like a Disney knockoff, but not very similiar to Disney. It has great animation, solid voice acting, and very catchy songs. Don Bluth did a very good job at making this non-disney masterpiece.
Tiber45Mar 31, 2016
THIS IS THE BEST FOX ANIMATED MOVIE EVER!!!! LET'S GRADE THE MOVIE!!!!! Animation: A Characters: B Story: A+ For Kids: Oh my God, Yeah!!! Music: A Voice Acting: B Overall: A-!!!!! FINAL GRADE = A-! MY SECOND BEST IS ICE AGE!!!! MY THIRD BESTTHIS IS THE BEST FOX ANIMATED MOVIE EVER!!!! LET'S GRADE THE MOVIE!!!!! Animation: A Characters: B Story: A+ For Kids: Oh my God, Yeah!!! Music: A Voice Acting: B Overall: A-!!!!! FINAL GRADE = A-! MY SECOND BEST IS ICE AGE!!!! MY THIRD BEST IS ROBOTS!!!! AND IT EVEN WAS A BOX OFFICE SUCCESS!!! I'M SO GLAD!!!! WE ARE LOVING THIS ANIMATED MOVIE!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! THERE IS NEVER ANYTHING WRONG ABOUT THE MOVIE!!!!!! THAT'S GOOD!!!!!! THAT'S WHY I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
ChristinaH.May 27, 2007
This has to be the best Disney movie I've seen, with a good plot, great characters, and catchy songs, who can't love it?
1 of 2 users found this helpful
UncannyGarlicFeb 2, 2009
Anastasia is an excellent film with a great story and probably the most general audience appeal of traditionally animated film outside of Disney. The underlying themes of the plot are very familiar to Disney fans, being a self discovery Anastasia is an excellent film with a great story and probably the most general audience appeal of traditionally animated film outside of Disney. The underlying themes of the plot are very familiar to Disney fans, being a self discovery journey of a spunky princess, but it's well executed and has good interactions between characters. The voice acting is surprisingly good for most characters, with most actors getting into character very well and voicing their character in a manner which makes them unrecognizable. Hank Azaria does an amazing job with the comic bat, giving the character the perfect voice and delivery, probably being the unexpected standout. Christopher Loyd surprised me by doing a good job changing his voice to be that of Rasputin, with his signature yelling being the only thing giving him away, though it's not disrupting. Meg Ryan, on the other hand, plays Anastasia in the classic Meg Ryan way, making no changes in how she speaks for the character. This makes her performance a bit disrupting, though fans of Meg Ryan will likely disagree, but all of the animation fits the voices, including Ryan's, perfectly. Animation in the film is crisp, fluid, and beautiful with wonderfully illustrated backgrounds. The one flaw of the film is it's use of computer generated (CG) images which, like in most traditionally animated films, stick out. It's not to say that the CG doesn't look good but merely that it doesn't seamlessly mesh with the traditional animation. The movement in the film feels wonderfully natural, with more quirky minor movements made by characters than seems to be in most films. It's musicals are generally good, with a few greats and some misses. "Once Upon a December" really stands out as the height of the movies musical scenes and scores while "A Rumor in St. Petersburg", the first musical scene in the film, was mediocre. The "In the Dark of the Night" scene causes me to laugh every time I watch the film because of how out of place the music seems, despite how the good music was. All in all, this is arguably Don Bluth's best animated film with "The Secret of NIMH" being the competition. The film brushes or even matches the lower edge of the Disney renaissance, being more enjoyable than "The Little Mermaid" for me, despite having more technical problems. If you're looking for a fun and enjoyable animated film for the whole family, I'd fully recommend this film. Expand
ThomasD.Apr 15, 2006
It's scarry for kids. The bad guy head comes off. He falls a part. What's that all abot?
SallyR.Sep 16, 2006
It is brilliant. Not at all scarring for kids, in your face Thomas D.
DawnOct 21, 2005
The music takes me to magical mind trips, it creates dreams,and makes me appreciate the moment.
AmmeTJan 31, 2008
Fantastic film. Breath taking for any ages. The music is catchy with brilliant lyrics. It has character and is interesting.
beingryanjudeSep 4, 2014
Anastasia is Twentieth Century Fox's response to many of Disney's historically inaccurate, though intellectual animated musicals in the past twenty years.
AwesomeReviewerApr 26, 2012
â
InspectorJApr 19, 2013
Films inspired off of factual history are always difficult to produce but this here is a perfect example. Steady story, catchy tunes, good subtle morals, and with no interaction with Disney animation studios. It is a shame this did not getFilms inspired off of factual history are always difficult to produce but this here is a perfect example. Steady story, catchy tunes, good subtle morals, and with no interaction with Disney animation studios. It is a shame this did not get as much recognition as it deserves. Expand
Dangerman1973Nov 24, 2012
This is one of the greatest non-Disney animated movies there is! Anastasia is one of those rare non-Disney heroines who is thoroughly modern and enchanting. She's not the only thing I love about the movie, the musical numbers, the animation,This is one of the greatest non-Disney animated movies there is! Anastasia is one of those rare non-Disney heroines who is thoroughly modern and enchanting. She's not the only thing I love about the movie, the musical numbers, the animation, the characters, everything! My only gripe, and it's a small quibble, is that Rasputin is a little bit leaning towards Dick Dastardly than a Disney-like villain. The two supporting characters, Dimitri and Marie, are the some of the most human I've seen in an animated movie. There's plenty of bad rap towards Bartok, but in my opinion he's likable and deserves more respect. Anya is the representative of the perfect non-Disney heroine as she can stand on her own ground with the Mouse House's beauties like Ariel and Belle. I definitely love this move as I watched it respectively on video and TV and recommend this to every animation fan and fan of Don Bluth. Spectacular! Collapse
Rox22Mar 27, 2013
One of my favorite non-Disney/Pixar animated movies. Superb animation. Great voice acting. Catchy and memorable music. While it does take some HUGE liberties with history, it is just a story after all. What really got my attention was thatOne of my favorite non-Disney/Pixar animated movies. Superb animation. Great voice acting. Catchy and memorable music. While it does take some HUGE liberties with history, it is just a story after all. What really got my attention was that this was really the first GOOD non-Disney movie of its time. This level of production for hand drawn animation was almost unheard of and really shook the chains of quality superiority that Disney once held. Overall: A charming and fun animated movie that won't be for everyone, but it has a place in my heart. Expand
SimpsonFansSep 18, 2016
Tiber5Jan 16, 2017
ThisIsSparta666Jan 16, 2017
PAMAJan 16, 2017
Pama300Jan 16, 2017
Creepers200Jan 16, 2017
LowMercOct 9, 2017
Anastasia has got one of the best songs ever created for a cartoon. The cartoon itself though, giving me chills and having me cry at some point, is not that unique. The villain does not stand out, and some typical Disney like elements areAnastasia has got one of the best songs ever created for a cartoon. The cartoon itself though, giving me chills and having me cry at some point, is not that unique. The villain does not stand out, and some typical Disney like elements are present which is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm giving this a 7 simply because I enjoyed it as a 7 rated movie. Nothing about it is special (except for Once Upon a December) and the romance is well done, just like most of the cartoons involving princesses and errand boys who end up living happily ever after. *** Spoilers ahead!

I have to say it though... a mistake like Dimitry's, has been made a lot-- even I have done such a thing but in its own uniqueness. This cartoon is going to remind me for some time that cartoons are not what the real life represents. If you miss an opportunity, you may never get another, and no one will drag you all the way from where you're going only to take you to the exact place where your significant other is and there's no magic to make things right. I'm a cynical :p