6.2

1. Dec 19, 2013
    I'm in shock that this movie is getting such good reviews. I was a fan of the first one, and I love all the actors involved. This movie really wasn't that funny. So many of the scenes fall flat and so many of the jokes are stale. I was surprised by how boring this movie actually was. There are sections of the movie that drag on for so long, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of the theater. I think our standards for comedies have absolutely plummeted in the past 3-4 years. The jokes have no substance, they're cheap and stupid. What's actually funny about the movie is that it really has a strong message regarding the history of media in our country and how things have changed. Unfortunately, it seemed pretty clear to me that the message of the movie was going way over the heads of many of the morons in the theater I saw it in. I chucked once or twice, which is just unacceptable, this movie sucked. Expand
  2. Dec 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'Anchorman 2' is stunningly, breathtakingly bad. Not only entirely unoriginal and humorless, this heaving, gasping attempt at a sequel manages to reach transcendent levels of racism and bigotry. In a sense, you could say that Will Ferrell's comedy has disappeared into a nether-world in which his jokes are so lame and his apparent idea of what's funny so reactionary that you feel that he must be doing it on purpose: there must be some second-level joke going on, a sort of ironically bad comedy.

Unfortunately, it just is what it looks like: bad, lazy, offensive comedy. 'Anchorman 2''s joke overwhelmingly are not jokes; they're just exaggerated portrayals of stereotypes. The movie is overflowing with saucy Black women with Afros and angry libidos, there's an extended bit toward the end which basically boils down to "Ha ha, it's hard to be blind," and Stever Carell is back with what no one else seems to notice is a *retard routine.* The most painful moment of the film is probably when Ferrell has dinner with the "Black family" of his "Black girlfriend" (his repeated phrasing), where viewers are treated to something like five minutes of Will Ferrell doing paintless Blackface, saying "My man" and "Big mama" and trying to get high fives. But, you know, it's *ironic*, so it's not racist. Totally.

Let's be clear: I am not just whining that a movie violated my moral tastes. It is possible to write racist comedy which is, at least on a technical level, funny. 'Anchorman 2' is not bad only because it reduces systemic oppression to a punchline. It's also just a lazy, empty movie. The gags are just variations on the gags used in the original 'Anchorman': because the first film has a special cologne scene, the sequel gets a special condom scene; because the original had a random, surreal battle the sequel also got one (but with a bunch of pointless celebrity cameos). As others have noted, a great deal of the films ostensible humor centers on Carrell and Ferrel screaming. Just screaming. 'Cause it's funny, evidently.

Rarely have I been so disappointed by a film. I went in expecting something not quite as good as the original but still passably funny. What I got was self-imitating garbage that manages to be casually bigoted and deeply boring at the same time. Save your money, your time, and your dignity. Just say no to 'Anchorman 2.'
  3. Dec 21, 2013
    The new definition of a 'bad movie'. The characters were parodies of themselves from the first film (which was great), and it's one of the only films I've actually had to walk out of due to the cringe-inducing 'jokes'.
  4. Dec 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was not impress with the first movie but this one is a real stinker. There are a number of scenes that are set up with some promise but just fall short; usually ending with someone, or multiple actors screaming instead of delivering any dialogue. The realization of just how unfunny these characters are comes in the final battle scene when Jim Carrey appears in a cameo and delivers just 3 or 4 lines that are funnier than anything previously viewed. The idea of Ron accidentally creating the modern day news format was rather cleaver but was more interesting than funny. Expand
  5. Dec 27, 2013
    Arguably less funny than Hannibal, this might be the least funny movie ever produced by Judd Apatow.

I really had my hopes up because the first movie was quite funny and is always a good re-watch and the cast consists of some very funny people. I don't know what happened to the writing team, but it appears that they were convinced that the low-hanging fruit of obvious racial stereotype
    jokes would achieve some laughter (surprisingly it did work on some people around me).

Not that jokes that go after stereotypes can't be funny, these were just executed so poorly it played like a film directed by a 12 year old Call of Duty player.

The new characters in this film were incredibly one-dimensional and added nothing to the story or the humor. Ron's child was so annoying that I strongly debated leaving the theater the very moment he was introduced. The rival anchorman Jack Lime was so bad at acting that his humor felt forced to work with this writing style.. I just don't really know what to say. It was all so bad. I am an easy laugh, too.

This is the first movie I have ever seen where I would have left had I gone alone. No question.
  6. Dec 20, 2013
    Please do not waste your money on this movie...many scenes are unfunny, unimaginative, dry and flat. It really surprises me that its getting anything above a 4/10 because although it's got many star cameo appearances.. the writing just isn't funny.
  7. Dec 22, 2013
    Too random.
    Poor acting is an understatement.
    Scenes so pointless they were unbearable, some due to longevity, and trying too damn hard to be funny.
    The underlying story had more substance than the humor.
    Worst use of great cameos of all-time.....*face palm*
  8. Dec 23, 2013
    The humour in this film felt flat and stale. There was poor buildup to funny situations, and the plot line was incoherent to say the least (even by comedy standards). There were few bits of good humour, but most of the time the film leaves you wondering how strange, awkward and 'spoofy' it is going to get before it finally draws to a close.

The film attempts to explore themes of family
    and friendship, and at times it does so in a touching way. However, this is overshadowed by an excess of flat humour. The writer seems to value jokes in quantity over quality.

There was one notable positive though. The film satirizes how modern TV networks attempt to draw audience, as well as many stereotypes about Fox News.

Overall, however, this film was disappointing to watch and not worth the money for the ticket. If you don't like humour arising from awkward situations, don't bother watching it.
  9. Dec 23, 2013
    I love Anchorman, and I've seen it a million times... I've even memorized most of it. For those who don't know they actually killed the first Anchorman movie and redid it completely (Wikipedia). I tried watching the old version of the first film, it's horrible... hard to believe the next script for what is now part 1, is an epic comedy. I would argue that Anchorman 1 is one of the top 5 comedies of all time. Part 2, I can't really tell you, I walked out about 15 minutes in... it was bad. It has been edited from a rated R movie into a PG13 movie, and you can hear voice dubs over swear words, and the comedy is bad, I mean really bad. Nobody laughed at all, and jokes were flying by and crickets were heard. Ron B. has the best random lines and the improv in part 1 is liquid gold. Part 2 felt cheap and Ron B. felt like a different version of himself. Expand
  10. Dec 28, 2013
    Worst movie i have ever seen in the past couple of years. I can't believe the type of positive reviews it has been getting. So many scenes are stupid and not funny. Waste of money.
  11. Dec 24, 2013
    I am a HUGE fan of the first movie and all the incredible new comedic ideas it brought to the table. I feel that the movie was very dry and choppy plus a lot of the jokes were dragged out. There were funny parts but they weren't anything new it could have been better.
  12. Dec 26, 2013
    Do not waste your time or money on this movie. At the very least it does not need to be seen on the big screen. The comedy is thin and infrequent. The cameo appearances were fun, but the writing was unimaginative and cliche. Although we were the most mature people in the theater, we laughed far more frequently than the younger people.
  13. Dec 30, 2013
    Loved the first one... But Anchorman 2: 45 minutes too long. Tries way too hard to be funny. Over crude to compensate for lack of originality. Couldn't wait for it to end...
  14. Dec 31, 2013
    To be honest this was not a good movie. I never expected wanting a movie to end that had will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, and steve carrel. The jokes had no substance, the theater I was in was silent for most of the movie, not something I am used to, even at a terrible movie. The only positive was the satire on what the news industry has become. However, the fact that people are giving this a positive review, I'm guessing it eluded most. This was one of the worst comedies I have seen. I was very disappointed, especially since I am a huge Paul Rudd and steve carrel fan. Expand
  15. Jan 1, 2014
    A solid contender for Worst Movie of 2013. My wife dragged me to it, accompanied by another couple who, like her, are rabid Will Ferrell fans who loved the first Anchorman. At one point or another, each of us fell asleep, and when the film was over, my wife and her friends admitted they'd hated it. There are long stretches where nothing funny happens, there are no belly laughs, and only a few half-decent gags. Will Ferrell will bounce back with something worth seeing, I'm sure, but this clunker will contribute nothing to his reputation as a funny man. Expand
  16. Jan 1, 2014
    OMG this film is TERRIBLE. I loved anchorman and it's absurd humor but this doesn't even seem like it's written by the same person. Adam Mckay has really gone down hill recently. Every film after Stepbrothers has been awful. It's like the goblins stole his sense of humor while he slept. They should make a fantasy adventure about him trying to get it back or something. I just wanted to cringe through most of it and I don't see how the blatantly racist humor could be viewed by anyone (other than racists) as funny. RIP Ron Burgundy in Olympus next to mighty Zeus himself. Expand
  17. Jan 26, 2014
    This was a very lazy sequel. They took every character and every gag from the first movie and just pushed it further outside of reality, and further outside of comedy. Without any semblance of reality grounding this film, the jokes float in a kind of vacuum of absurdity.There was almost nothing that can be described as clever about the writing of this film. There were too many incessant half-hearted jokes that mostly fell flat. Expand
  18. Jan 2, 2014
    Laughed my ass off at the original. This one missed the mark, the majority of jokes fell on their face. There were a few that made my wife and I laugh. We were both thinking of leaving the theater but kept waiting/hoping for it to get better. Not worth the money or time. We were so very dissappointed.
  19. Jan 12, 2014
    It was so stupid. It didn't live up to my expectations after receiving solid reviews such as the ones displayed here. I smiled a few times, laughed a little maybe once or twice, but it's a very far cry from the original.
  20. Jan 5, 2014
    I really wanted this movie to be funny but it really is the case that the best moments were in the trailers. As a film its a feel good romp with some clever pokes at the news industry but as a comedy it just lacks laughs. Seriously, a slight chuckle was as good as it got.

Really for all the billing that went along with this movie some decent writers wouldn't have gone astray. Not even
    close to the original. Expand
  21. Jan 2, 2014
    Created an account solely to express my disappointment at this movie. Apatow should be embarrassed. I wanted to walk out of this horrible waste of time. I saw it on New Years Eve and it skyrocketed to the worst movie of the year! In fact I think it may be the worst of 2014 also since this dreadful movie was on my mind past midnight. I'm sure the stars who made cameos will never do another Apatow cameo without seeing the rest of the movie first. I know Ferrell and his branded Anchorman but this was the most poorly written movie I've ever seen...and the clearly ad-libbed lines thrown in by the actors missed their marks as well. Carell surely didn't have to prepare for the nonsense he delivered. This was supposed to be a movie about the absurdity of 24/7 news...it quickly became a movie about how promotion and hype can sucker people into the theater to watch something in which the director puts as little creative thinking as possible into making. Expand
  22. Jan 2, 2014
    This movie was extremely disappointing and I can't believe the positive reviews it's getting. It's easily the worst comedy I've ever seen and I found myself praying for it to end.
  23. Jan 4, 2014
    Anchorman 2 is a poor film in comparison to its predecessor. Most of the jokes involving Ron are over thought and try to hard. The story itself is far too jumpy and doesn't flow at all. Some key area plot lines in the opening hour aren't followed through and we jump to some ridiculous conclusions. I have given this one star for the initial performance of Steve Carrell as Brick he is funny but his jokes again go too far.

Overall a good concept is ruined by poor jokes and trying to be funny it's just not natural.
  24. Mar 12, 2014
    Disappointing. Hardly evoked a single laugh. The plot was okay but it got a bit too ridiculous at some points. E.g. the werewolf. The funniest joke was Dick Phuc. Enough said.
  25. Mar 19, 2014
    I really can't believe that there are ANY positive reviews for this movie. This movie was TERRIBLE. I barely laughed at all watching this movie. I did have high hopes going into the movie but also knew not to expect it to be as good as the first movie. But I couldn't believe how incredibly bad it was.
  26. Mar 19, 2014
    The best part of this movie was the premise-going into a 24 hour news channel. The rest is re-hashed grade school comedy equal to fart and stink jokes. There are some funny one liners but quite a few less than the original. It was painful to watch this sequel cuz you can tell they are trying to "one up" the original and can't. most importently they didn't! Very disappointing.
  27. Apr 10, 2014
    I really enjoyed the first film and wanted to enjoy this one so much, but sadly I could not. Most of the film is completely moronic, taking what good jokes they had way to far. It also went for far to long. I watch many movies, and this was one of the few I felt like I really wasted my time with.
  28. Jun 20, 2014
    Truly one of the biggest, if not the biggest, disappointments in film making! This movie had everything going for it! A complete returning cast, a good premise and what looked like more of the same hilarious over the top comedy that we knew and loved! Sadly this movie is a disgrace to the legacy that the first one has built! The majority is not funny and even the few bits that are can't save this from being a movie that I pray you will not waste your money on! Expand
  29. Mar 22, 2014
    Utter tripe. Stale jokes, recycled characters, boring plot.
    Sometimes bad comedies still have a couple of redeeming features. This has none. The movie coasts along on the premise that it'll be saved by the big names on the cast list. Well, they phoned this one in, and it shows.
  30. Apr 13, 2014
    Watching this film was like watching a mom and dad trying to be funny. It was the typical American dumb-ass humor with no original story. The film might as well have been equipped with a laugh-track because I sure didn't know when to laugh.
  31. Jan 4, 2014
    Ashamed. The producers and cast of this movie created neither entertainment or a mild diversion of this this type of movie usually services. It was an embarrassment for all associated. In fact, I should have been paid to sit and watch this movie travesty not the other way around at $44 for a family of four. Not funny. Hard to understand the garbled, gibberish lines uttered. Poor jokes and some of the worst humor (if that what is was imaginable). It was that bad.

Don't go!
  32. Jun 30, 2014
    Largely unfunny and such a waste of $1.25 from Redbox. The jokes are just stupid and not original. I did not even get to the end. I fell asleep. Boring and sad. I am finding it really hard to get to beyond 150 characters.
  33. Apr 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was just horrible! It did have some good laughs in the beginning (which is why i didn't give it a zero.) But towards the end of the film I honestly think that they just ran out of ideas. I mean really!? A musical number about a shark, someone turning into a ware wolf, a god-awful fight scene that was way worse than the first film. It was all just completely horrible and dumb! The first film was waaaay better than this abomination!! Dumbest movie ever! Expand
  34. Apr 13, 2014
    Obnoxious and profane does not equal funny to me. This movie also suffers from poor writing and acting. Did a 12 year old write this thing? Did an 8 year old direct it? I couldn't watch it to the end and turned it off an hour into it. Glad I only spent a dollar on it at red box. This movie is in the same class as Beverly Hills Ninja; wanted and expected it to be good but was a huge turkey
  35. Apr 13, 2014
    People tried to say “You just don’t get it. Unless you saw the first Anchorman, you just won’t get it.” Well, I saw the first Anchorman, and I saw Anchorman 2—well, not quite. I walked out of the theater because the film was so offensive. Using racism, sexism, discrimination and low-caliber humor to try to make jokes was the film’s biggest flaw. The acting, set design and production are all fine, but whoever wrote this film made an enormous error in judgment. Almost everyone other than a white male will be horrified by the dialogue in this movie. Expand
  36. Apr 17, 2014
    This was the dumbest movie ever. I just pissed $4.95 away on pay per view. Why would intelligent adults give this flick a great review. Was this written by a 3rd grader? What a let down for a bunch off talented comedians. Too bad.
  37. Apr 18, 2014
    Honestly, one of the most unfunny comedies I have the total misfortune to endure. I love the actors, but there was something seriously wrong with the screenplay, direction and comedic content. This rates in my bottom 20 movies of all time.
  38. Jun 8, 2014
    With a bland cast of boring unfunny characters, actors overacting, and dull unfunny writing with the idea that "stupid is funny" Anchorman 2 should have just stayed a sad, lonely screenplay like the film prior to it. Worst than the first film, very unfunny and unevenly structured, Anchorman 2 is one of the worst films I have seen in a long time.

1. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 20, 2013
    This is the kind of movie where most people know what they want and are pretty sure what they will get, that being “more of the same, please.”
  2. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Dec 19, 2013
    While Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues is a disappointment — how could it not be? — it’s not for lack of trying. If anything, the movie tries too hard.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Dec 19, 2013
    Anchorman 2 is more like SNL in the sharper years (1995–2002), when McKay was a writer and Ferrell one of the Not Ready for Prime Time Players. Expect no more and you should be satisfied. Wine connoisseurs would call this a new Burgundy with an old bouquet.