7.8

1. Oct 28, 2012
    I really can't fathom why a movie like this is popular. It's just Will Ferrell saying stupid things in a tone he considers to be comedic. If you can shut off your brain for 90 minutes, this might be enjoyable, but if you prefer to laugh at movies that are written with wit and intelligence, you might want to stay away from this one. It is one of the most overrated comedies of the 21stI really can't fathom why a movie like this is popular. It's just Will Ferrell saying stupid things in a tone he considers to be comedic. If you can shut off your brain for 90 minutes, this might be enjoyable, but if you prefer to laugh at movies that are written with wit and intelligence, you might want to stay away from this one. It is one of the most overrated comedies of the 21st century, as well as one of the worst. I think this sort of act from Will Ferrell was popular when this movie came out, but now I think people are starting to get sick of it, and I can't imagine the sequel getting good reviews. I could find the same level of intelligent humor on Nickelodeon or The Cartoon Network, just not as crude. I wouldn't mind the crudeness if it were actually funny or clever, but this movie was far from that. I didn't laugh one time. I'd like to sit down with someone who found this movie funny, and ask them to explain the humor in every joke. Thinking about the jokes in a great comedy causes those jokes to flourish, and the value of the humor increases. Try to dissect each moment of purported humor in this movie, and you will truly find nobody home. Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2014
    Despite overwhelming praise for Anchorman over the past ten years, I still have little appreciation for this "comic" flick. Will Ferrell is Will Ferrell and nothing more. His unfunny antics are just as present here as they are in every other disappointing Ferrell flick.
  3. MarkJ.
    Mar 30, 2007
    Terrible! Boring! I thought this movie woul be fun to watch, but it was total crap!
  4. AndrewH
    Nov 22, 2005
    Old School was funny, and Elf was enjoyable enough to watch twice. This, on the other hand, is an insipid waste of time. If you laugh at this, you'll laugh at anything.
  5. AshishC.
    Feb 5, 2005
    Hard to believe the studios allowed such a hackneyed script to be made into a film.. it is targeted at the lowest common denominator of mankind.
  6. MatthewL.
    Aug 1, 2006
    I thought this film was terrible. I was so disappointed b/c it looked really funny. It felt more like a long, interminable sketch originally rejected by the producers of "Saturday Night Live", instead of a movie. Will Ferrell tries way too hard in this film that made me want to change the channel. It was dumb, but not funny. Will Ferrell, you let me down so much with "Elf", but I thought this film was terrible. I was so disappointed b/c it looked really funny. It felt more like a long, interminable sketch originally rejected by the producers of "Saturday Night Live", instead of a movie. Will Ferrell tries way too hard in this film that made me want to change the channel. It was dumb, but not funny. Will Ferrell, you let me down so much with "Elf", but you've let me down even more with this terrible film. 1 star out of four. Grade: D Expand
  7. JayW.
    Jul 10, 2004
    Raunchy, stupid, no redeeming value. An embarrassment to all involved and particularly to the critics, who must have seen a different movie of the same name.
  8. KellyM.
    Jul 12, 2004
    Andrew L. gives good advice. I didn't find the opening credits to be funny at all (I didn't hear anyone else laughing either), and it didn't get any better after that. It was the kind of comedy you watch and try to laugh because you know it's supposed to be funny, but it just isn't. Without Steve Carrell I would rate it -10. And I think I've seen more than Andrew L. gives good advice. I didn't find the opening credits to be funny at all (I didn't hear anyone else laughing either), and it didn't get any better after that. It was the kind of comedy you watch and try to laugh because you know it's supposed to be funny, but it just isn't. Without Steve Carrell I would rate it -10. And I think I've seen more than enough newscasters who read whatever is on the teleprompter jokes. Enough with that already. Expand
  9. GregA
    Jul 12, 2004
    I can't believe that some people liked this movie - it was just terrible. I love Will Ferrell, but a bunch of monkies could have written a better script. This was a total dissapointment.
  10. LoriS.
    Jul 17, 2004
    Where have all the comedy writers gone? There was nothing clever or funny about this movie. Juvenile antics at best. A total waste of time.
  11. IfferS.
    Jul 9, 2004
    The only more effective sedative than Ron Burgundy is Nyquil. Do not bother with this film. It is stunningly horrible. Don't get snookered by the hype. Nothing to see here. Move along.
  12. AlanL.
    Aug 2, 2004
    Bad. Really, really bad. The only reason it didn't get a 0 from me is because the outtake reel is really funny. However, the rest of the film is tedious to the point of being painful. I don't know who in Hollywood decided Will Farrell is funny, but I strongly disagree. He wasn't funny on SNL, and isn't funny in movies. About the only thing I took from this movie is a Bad. Really, really bad. The only reason it didn't get a 0 from me is because the outtake reel is really funny. However, the rest of the film is tedious to the point of being painful. I don't know who in Hollywood decided Will Farrell is funny, but I strongly disagree. He wasn't funny on SNL, and isn't funny in movies. About the only thing I took from this movie is a sense of disappointment that some truly talented comedic actors (Applegate, Carell, and Willard) made the bad choice to appear in this dud. Expand
  13. MitchM.
    Jan 10, 2005
    The film really nails things like Ron's hair, his clothes, his arching eyebrow, period details, and the artifice of his personna. The rest of it is all rather flat. ELF is a far superior vehicle for WF. (yawn)
  14. LouisS
    Jan 8, 2005
    This was awful. Worst film I've ever watched!!!
  15. SteveW
    Jul 10, 2004
    This movie was terrible. It had no definition. What, exactly was Ferrell supposed to be...dumb, arrogant, suave? Applegate was horrible, some of the worst acting ever. She could not have been worse. And save the lame "it's supposed to be stupid." My problem isn't that jokes are stupid, its that they are dumb. They wasted Carell, really badly too. A travesty on all counts.
  16. JohnQ.
    Jul 11, 2004
    Pretty much a big waste of talent.
  17. DaveH.
    Jul 30, 2004
    This movie was painfully boring. i may have cracked a smile once but other than that it was an hour and a half of wondering why i paid $9.50 to be bored. im not sure who would find this movie funny if i, a fifteen year old boy, found the humor stupid, crude, and immature.
  18. MikeN.
    Aug 5, 2004
    Dull, disappointing, and just plain not funny. Did any thought go into the making of this piece of crap? Do yourself a favor and go see something else.
  19. YanaS.
    Aug 5, 2004
    Horrible!!! After so much hype about this movie i can say that none of it was true. Will Ferrell was stupid and everyone else in the cast was no better. I kept thinking it would get better, but unfortunetly it never did. Like others said: Painfully boring!!! and overall stupid the laughs just arent there.
  20. NavinR
    Jan 12, 2005
    This is a terrible movie unless you are a Will Ferrel lover.
  21. KevinE.
    Feb 7, 2005
    Slop. I kept waiting for it to rise above 'Bio Dome' stature but it just wouldn't. Finally pulled the plug after the umpteenth ploppy floppy dud of a go-nowhere punchline delivered by - take your pick (= to about 18 minutes into this bomb).
  22. JimW.
    Apr 4, 2005
    This movie was so bad. I didn't laugh a single time. I love stupid comedies (Airplane, Dumb and Dumber, etc) but this moive was just terrible. What version of the 70's did they live in, anyway? The video Sabatoge by the Beastie Boys looks more like the 70's than this hunk of shit. Avoid it at all cost.
  23. AndrewL.
    Jul 11, 2004
    If you don't like this movie by the time the opening credits are over, then do yourself a favor and leave.
  24. PatG.
    Jul 21, 2004
    I can't believe this movie had a 61 average from the critics!!! It is so lame--groaningly lame--that we walked out and asked for our money back after 30 minutes. Maybe 10-year-old boys will enjoy this movie. It's not just silly, it's dumb and flat. My cat could write a better script. What a waste of film!
  25. MediaMaverick
    Jul 24, 2004
    I was really looking forward to going to a funny movie and 'laughing like an idiot', as one reviewer noted. I was sooooo disappointed. I really wanted to like this one but it just didn't hit any marks.
  26. Kristin
    Jul 27, 2004
    Mr. Ferrell, what happened here? I thought this movie was going to be laugh-out-loud-hilarious, not flat and boring. I just stared at a screen with nothing but a blank screen with people on it. I did not laugh at all. I just slept. Honestly, depressed Earnest Hemingway could have written a more comedic script. Deeply disappointing, Will Ferrell.
  27. RobertS.
    May 23, 2005
    I'm surprised to give this film a rating at all--as if it deserved one! You know, it's funny--I used to think Will Ferrell was too normal to be funny (except on SNL). But his characters are too dumb--his acting in general is dumb. Look at Old School--that was just twisted. ANCHORMAN was even more so--not even funny. It was the same twisted, childish bathroom humor that keeps I'm surprised to give this film a rating at all--as if it deserved one! You know, it's funny--I used to think Will Ferrell was too normal to be funny (except on SNL). But his characters are too dumb--his acting in general is dumb. Look at Old School--that was just twisted. ANCHORMAN was even more so--not even funny. It was the same twisted, childish bathroom humor that keeps pathetic actors like Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and Ferrell on set long enough to show people how stupid and unoriginal they are. What a waste of two hours of my precious life. Save your time and your money. If you receive a copy of ANCHORMAN for a birthday present from a friend or family member, I'd recommend throwing away the cover and using the DVD for a Frisbee. That's all it's good there. Expand
  28. Mar 9, 2014
    Saw the positive reviews and watched the movie. Was really disappointing, it's like a trash movie just for comedy, you should probably be high to enjoy it, ir I don't know, maybe it's just not my kind of humor, as even South Park/Family Guy has a higher standard.

1. Wonderfully silly all the time.
  2. Ferrell, of course, has his moments. But he doesn't have an engaging "center" as a comedian.
  3. I can't help but feel that a funny movie was waiting to be unearthed amid all this self-congratulation and juvenile prankishness.