7.5

1. DaveF
    Aug 9, 2005
    Hilarious movie. This is SNL skit-cinema at its (almost) best, with far more laughs than groans. The surprise a capella "Afternoon Delight" was surprisingly well-done, too. It works because it's inversely ironic--a piece of real class set against a ridiculously silly and crude movie.
  2. CharlieD.
    Oct 3, 2006
    One of the best films ever, this truly is Will Farrell at his best....
  3. WillieG.
    May 23, 2006
    this film had plenty of laughs - ferrell, vaughn, carell...they're all a trip - I usually don't like films that are THIS stupid, but they hit the sweet spot with the ridiculous skits (like the news team brawl) - applegate was the only miscast and totally non-funny member of the cast, they should have gotten the brunette from scary movie - if you can't find several things to this film had plenty of laughs - ferrell, vaughn, carell...they're all a trip - I usually don't like films that are THIS stupid, but they hit the sweet spot with the ridiculous skits (like the news team brawl) - applegate was the only miscast and totally non-funny member of the cast, they should have gotten the brunette from scary movie - if you can't find several things to crack a smile or laugh at in this film, you just might be a 'smelly pirate hooker'. Expand
  4. JustinP.
    Dec 5, 2007
    One of my all time favourite comedies.
  5. Sophie
    Jul 31, 2007
    Fantastic comedy.. just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. Some of the lines are priceless and instant classics. I can watch this movie again and again and not get bored.
  6. ClintT.
    Mar 1, 2008
    It
  7. AndrewL.
    Jul 11, 2004
    If you don't like this movie by the time the opening credits are over, then do yourself a favor and leave.
  8. DavidC.
    Jul 11, 2004
    Very silly and stupid. But I laughed a lot.
  9. K.H.
    Jul 12, 2004
    I went in expecting Will Ferrell to make me laugh a few times. I was laughing non-stop throughout the entire movie. It was ridiculous. But I must admit, it was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Will Ferrell is a god among men.
  10. JeffL.
    Jul 12, 2004
    As long as this film sticks to its main points of satire - local TV news, the male chauvanism, and those wacky Seventies - it is often genuinely riotous gold. Will Ferrell is tremendously funny and oddly likeable as the casually sexist Burgundy, Christina Applegate is sweet and lively as a reporter who wants to break through the boundaries to become the nation's first female anchor, As long as this film sticks to its main points of satire - local TV news, the male chauvanism, and those wacky Seventies - it is often genuinely riotous gold. Will Ferrell is tremendously funny and oddly likeable as the casually sexist Burgundy, Christina Applegate is sweet and lively as a reporter who wants to break through the boundaries to become the nation's first female anchor, and the guys in the newsroom are hilarious (even the usually dull Paul Rudd is great.) In the final third, though, the film turns into Airplane-style free-for-all silliness, much to its detriment. And it doesn't help that Ferrell seems to want to stuff in cameos by every actor he's ever worked with (Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, etc.) Still, the good stuff outweighs the bad, and the performances are really worth checking out. Expand
  11. MichaelM.
    Jul 12, 2004
    Really funny... but the movie is what it i...a light comedy not a work of art. Very amusing ferrel is hilarious!
  12. JamesandtheGiantPeach
    Jul 15, 2004
    Ok, so it may be stupid. But you know what? ITS FUNNY! Honestly we need more movies like this one. Movies to brighten up our day. Vince Vaghn was in it and even though I can't really stand him, he was ok in this since I really only had to see him a couple of times. Will Ferrell though, he did great. Its like being back in the good old days when he was the star of SNL. I really sugest Ok, so it may be stupid. But you know what? ITS FUNNY! Honestly we need more movies like this one. Movies to brighten up our day. Vince Vaghn was in it and even though I can't really stand him, he was ok in this since I really only had to see him a couple of times. Will Ferrell though, he did great. Its like being back in the good old days when he was the star of SNL. I really sugest this movie to anyone who has not seen it. Expand
  13. MichaelJ.
    Jul 16, 2004
    Will Ferrell is hilarious as Ron Burgundy in this often crude comedy. But the crude humour is the kind which will keep the laughs going. One of the true comedic gems of this year. Don't miss it.
  14. ManynyC.
    Jul 16, 2004
    On the beard of Zeus, people, Anchorman is brilliant. Will Ferrell gives his best, most spirited film performance yet as Ron Burgundy the classic chauvinistic man's man. I LOVE this movie, but heed warning many people will not like this movie. If you know and love Will Ferrell you will have a blast. If hes too out there for you then there is nothing for you in this film. The On the beard of Zeus, people, Anchorman is brilliant. Will Ferrell gives his best, most spirited film performance yet as Ron Burgundy the classic chauvinistic man's man. I LOVE this movie, but heed warning many people will not like this movie. If you know and love Will Ferrell you will have a blast. If hes too out there for you then there is nothing for you in this film. The characters know they're characters, ok, no seriousness going on here. If you dont much like Ferrell and dont watch SNL then go see Napoleon Dynamite again, and realize that your laughing at crap and missing out. Expand
  15. ChuckY.
    Jul 17, 2004
    It certainly had a few fiendishly funny scenes, but a lot of it actually bored me a little. It could have been better.
  16. DrizztD.
    Jul 18, 2004
    I laughed so hard! I almost threw up! We need more movies with erection scenes! People..bears are noble creatures and a proud race, and without Anchorman, I'd never know that.... Go see this to laugh your ass off!
  17. CurfuffleN.
    Jul 19, 2004
    This movie was fairly good, although it seemed to slow in spots and I often became bored. One of the highlights is the Jack Black cameo, and of course the Ben stiller cameo, other than that there didn't seem to be anything all that special about the film. The ending was weak, a scene which seemed promising was ruined by a dog, I'm sure they could have thought up something better This movie was fairly good, although it seemed to slow in spots and I often became bored. One of the highlights is the Jack Black cameo, and of course the Ben stiller cameo, other than that there didn't seem to be anything all that special about the film. The ending was weak, a scene which seemed promising was ruined by a dog, I'm sure they could have thought up something better than what they did. We need a new OldSchool, and Ferral has to be the main character. Expand
  18. PatG.
    Jul 21, 2004
    I can't believe this movie had a 61 average from the critics!!! It is so lame--groaningly lame--that we walked out and asked for our money back after 30 minutes. Maybe 10-year-old boys will enjoy this movie. It's not just silly, it's dumb and flat. My cat could write a better script. What a waste of film!
  19. AustinG.
    Jul 23, 2004
    Definitely entertaining, but I felt that it fell short of even my low expectations. Some funny parts, but not up to par for the hilarious Will Ferrell.
  20. MediaMaverick
    Jul 24, 2004
    I was really looking forward to going to a funny movie and 'laughing like an idiot', as one reviewer noted. I was sooooo disappointed. I really wanted to like this one but it just didn't hit any marks.
  21. Kristin
    Jul 27, 2004
    Mr. Ferrell, what happened here? I thought this movie was going to be laugh-out-loud-hilarious, not flat and boring. I just stared at a screen with nothing but a blank screen with people on it. I did not laugh at all. I just slept. Honestly, depressed Earnest Hemingway could have written a more comedic script. Deeply disappointing, Will Ferrell.
  22. RobertS.
    May 23, 2005
    I'm surprised to give this film a rating at all--as if it deserved one! You know, it's funny--I used to think Will Ferrell was too normal to be funny (except on SNL). But his characters are too dumb--his acting in general is dumb. Look at Old School--that was just twisted. ANCHORMAN was even more so--not even funny. It was the same twisted, childish bathroom humor that keeps I'm surprised to give this film a rating at all--as if it deserved one! You know, it's funny--I used to think Will Ferrell was too normal to be funny (except on SNL). But his characters are too dumb--his acting in general is dumb. Look at Old School--that was just twisted. ANCHORMAN was even more so--not even funny. It was the same twisted, childish bathroom humor that keeps pathetic actors like Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and Ferrell on set long enough to show people how stupid and unoriginal they are. What a waste of two hours of my precious life. Save your time and your money. If you receive a copy of ANCHORMAN for a birthday present from a friend or family member, I'd recommend throwing away the cover and using the DVD for a Frisbee. That's all it's good there. Expand
  23. RitaP.
    Jan 24, 2006
    Gold, absolute gold. If you don't love this film then frankly you have tired of life and should confine yourself to your bed waiting for the inevitable. Otherwise join the rest of us in marvelling at the comedic genius of Will Ferrell and co.
  24. FraserW.
    Mar 12, 2006
    When i aw tis i was laughing so hard in the theater that i almost got kicked out even though the story line looks like it came out of a cows but i enjoyed the hell out of it... Overall: B-
  25. DickO.
    Jun 23, 2007
    To be honest, i cant handle to much dumbass comedy like Adam Sandler as such but this was in a whole different class of dumbass, absolute class.
  26. IanM.
    Sep 17, 2007
    The arousal this movie gave me was painful in its intensity.
  27. JesusC.
    Jan 18, 2008
    Extremely funny. Will Ferrel's best by far.
  28. TjE
    Jan 21, 2009
    A very funny movie. I don't think anyone who appreciates comedy can watch this without laughing once. Be warned however, Anchorman isn't for everybody. People who don't like random jokes or watch movies only for plot will not enjoy Anchorman. Everyone else will fall in love with it.
  29. May 11, 2011
    The funniest film I have ever seen. Period. But my reviews should be longer, so... Will Ferrell excels here as egotistical News Anchor Ron Burgundy, in fact, the entire cast acts above and beyond, excelling as brilliant characters. But the breakout star of the film has to be the mentally challenged Brick Tamland, played by The Office's own Steve Carrell, delivering out a plentitude ofThe funniest film I have ever seen. Period. But my reviews should be longer, so... Will Ferrell excels here as egotistical News Anchor Ron Burgundy, in fact, the entire cast acts above and beyond, excelling as brilliant characters. But the breakout star of the film has to be the mentally challenged Brick Tamland, played by The Office's own Steve Carrell, delivering out a plentitude of hilarious lines ("I ate a big red candle", "Mm, I burnt my tongue", "Where'd you get those clothes, at the toilet store?") One of the most quotable films in movie history. If you picked a random line from this film, you can guarantee it's quotable, from the statistical ("60% of the time, it works every time"), to the insulting ("You're a smelly pirate hooker", "Why don't you go back to your home on whore island"), to the informative ("San Diego, discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina") to the declarations of love ("I love Lamp") The film is rife with cameos, and not one of them feels out of place or like a cardboard cut-out. Be it Ben Stiller as Arturo Mendez, Spanish Anchor, Jack Black as a motorcyclist who won't draw the line at kicking dogs off bridges, Tim Robbins as an anchor who'll cut off arms and then calmly smoke a pipe or Danny Trejo, a bartender who'll offer sage words of advice (even if it goes unheeded) This film is responsible for one of my favourite ever film moments: The big fight between the news stations, which manages to escelate from an exchange of words, to the characters pulling out weapons (knifes, table legs, hand grenades), then in less than half a minute, there's a man on fire, men on horses, Brick killing a guy with a Trident and Luke Wilson getting an arm cut off. It sounds insane, but its one of those moments which must be seen to understand. If I could only recommend one film where you'd have a fun time laughing your ass off, it's Anchorman. You stay classy, Rotten Tomatoes, and thanks for stopping by Collapse
  30. Jul 27, 2011
    This movie is a perfect-to-watch-with-friends comedy. So perfect in fact, there wasn't a time where I wasn't at least smiling. It's humor is somewhat dated and slightly stupid, but it's actors carry it so well.
  31. Jan 18, 2011
    If you don't like Will Ferrell's style of comedy don't even give this one a try. If you do like his comedy then Anchorman is a must and is one of the funnier movies you will watch.
  32. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In typical Will Ferrell fashion, Anchorman combines childish and over-the-top humor with very crude and profane humor and delivers some really funny scenes. Where the film fails to deliver, however, is in anything remotely resembling a well developing plot. A anchorman is on top of the world, gets intimidated when his girlfriend becomes his co-anchor, gets fired for being an idiot, hits rock bottom, and then gets rehired after saving the day. There, that's the entire movie. The other 90 of the 94 minutes is the humor I was referring to. If you don't mind it, you'll find some laughs and probably find the film a worthwhile watch. If not, you'll likely wish you could get back that hour and a half. Personally, I find myself somewhere in the middle, but leaning more towards finding the laughs worthwhile. It's a good movie to watch and laugh at with friends, that's about it. Expand
  33. May 27, 2012
    Anchorman is a decent comedy. It has its moments, and sometimes you will laugh pretty hard. But, its pretty dull most of the times also. From Will Ferrell, I expected more but it is worth a watch at least once.
  34. Jul 29, 2014
    "Anchorman: The legend of Ron Burgundy" is a very solid comedy, in fact, it's very freaking funny, but in all honesty, it's not the greatest comedic driving film ive ever seen. The real overall-arcing problem i have with the film is how its really stupid and i honestly found the main character to be irritating, as well as the supporting acts, besides BRICK, brick is da best.

Overall i

Overall i believe that Anchor man is a good time but in no means necessary a classic
  35. Aug 29, 2013
    One of the best comedies I've ever seen and probably the best with Will Ferrell. A lot of really funny jokes and perfect cast including some guest appearances by Jack Black, Ben Stiller and even Danny Trejo.
  36. Nov 8, 2012
    Is there even an ounce of sense to it? No, none. But its downright hilarious and has a language of its own.
  37. Nov 9, 2012
    I appreciate sophisticated humor as much as the next guy. I do think that such humor is often the best. But that doesn't mean that I don't love the s**t out of some silly nonsense every now and again.
  38. Nov 28, 2012
    An unending tornado of irresistible hilarity, "Anchorman" represents the finest work Adam McKay and Will Ferrell have to offer.
  39. Jun 28, 2013
    There's no denying how funny this movie is. Just about every line is quotable due to how funny they are. In fact, there's a kid in my neighborhood who has, in fact, memorized just about every line in this movie. Every time he quotes Anchorman, I still laugh. I'm super pumped for the sequel.
  40. Apr 6, 2013
    Will Ferrell and director Adam McKay teaming up was truly a brilliant. This movie really boosted Will Ferrell's career as a comedic actor. Not only that, but out of all his movies, this one is his biggest and most known role of his career. Anchorman was a hilarious slap-stick comedy. I do admit, it has stupid moments, but how can you resist the hilarious charm this movie has to offer. ItWill Ferrell and director Adam McKay teaming up was truly a brilliant. This movie really boosted Will Ferrell's career as a comedic actor. Not only that, but out of all his movies, this one is his biggest and most known role of his career. Anchorman was a hilarious slap-stick comedy. I do admit, it has stupid moments, but how can you resist the hilarious charm this movie has to offer. It also features an ensemble of funny actors like Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, David Koechner and Fred Wilard. But out of those actors, Steve Carell steals a bit of the show with his stupid charm. Overall, it's a hilarious screwball comedy done surprisingly right. Expand
  41. Jun 30, 2013
    I just don't know what to say. The first time I saw this, I didn't laugh. Then I watched it again, and I almost peed myself. This is arguably Ferrell's best film to date, no doubt a cult classic.
  42. Aug 16, 2013
    You get it, or you don't, or you do and just don't relate anyway. Whatever the case may be, this sort of random, senseless comedy is a subgenre of comedic films that is just as often praised as it is ridiculed.

I find myself praising it more often than not, and particularly so when Will Ferrell is involved. The man is, quite simply, as adept at this style of comedy as anyone ever has been, and his strong and silly performance, alongside a terrific supporting cast, have made Anchorman a classic in my mind. It has provided me and my friends more quotable lines and good times than any other Ferrell flick, and we typically enjoy them all. The upcoming sequel seems to me, at least, to be Ferrell's way of doing justice to what he believes to be his finest film.

Just as important to making the film work is the rest of the Channel 5 News Team. Brick, Champ and Brian are pivotal in playing off of each other, taking advantage of somewhat predictable quirks and eccentricities with skill. Paul Rudd quickly became a comedy/dramatic comedy staple at the box office, and his work here, alongside Steve Carrell's slow-but-sweet portrayal of weatherman Brick Tamlan and the underrated Champ Kind (played by the also underrated David Koechner) round out the film, give it an identity with memorable characters and classic scenes.

The rest of the cast is stand-up as well, including Alicia Silverstone, who holds up strong as Ferrell's counterpart and vying anchorwoman Veronica Corningstone. It all comes together quite nicely cast-wise, and the writing..well, the writing is the best you're going to find in a quote/unquote "silly" comedy, where the story is just a foundation for the ridiculousness to flow off of.

Honestly, I can understand the strong disagreement when I say so, but in my mind, Anchorman is without a doubt one of the finest comedic films ever created. It is, much like Mr. Burgundy himself, the balls.
  43. Dec 20, 2013
    This movie is hilarious. I can't wait to see no. 2 in movies soon! I think steve did the best acting, but ferrel did do great acting too. WATCH IT RIGHT NOW
  44. Jun 19, 2014
    "60% of the time, it works every time."

"60% of the time, it works every time."

Ah yes Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy i remember it took me a few years after the movie had been released to finally get around to watching it mainly because my friends had recommended it to me. Needless to say i freaking laughed so much at this movie with so many quotable lines and a amazing set of great comedy actors there was no doubt this movie was on the track to be a cult classic. It seems Adam McKay and Will Ferrell do every movie together as all five of McKay's movies have had Will Ferrell in them. This is easily Mckay's best movie but that's no shock because he hit magic with this movie as it really set off his career.

The movie follows Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) The famous lead anchorman for the highest-rated news station in San Diego. After the top bosses want more diversity in the workplace Ron's boss Ed Harken (Fred Willard) informs him and his team, field reporter Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd), Weather man Brick Tamland (Steve Carell), and sports reporter Champ Kind (David Koechner) that he has hired a new reporter Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) which turns out to be the same woman Ron tired to hit on the night before at a party. After a couple of tries Ron finally gets Veronica to basically go on a date with him where she ends up falling for him and they soon start to date. After Ron is unable to deliver the news Veronica steps in and nails it which in turns leads to her becoming co-anchor.

Ron and the group hate this as it turns all the other employees against them and even to be made fun of by other news stations. After Veronica goes too far she gets Ron fired causing his life to become a mess but when duty calls Ron must redeem himself to retake his thrown as the best anchorman in San Diego. The movie has so many hilarious moments my two favorite being the major battle between all the news station, this is when we see a lot of cameos none funnier than Ben Stiller another great moment is the Jack Black part i lost it at those two parts the most and started to cry back when i had first seen it. Even though its lost some of its luster of the past years Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy still to this day stands as one of the best comedy movies of the 2000's also one of the most quotable movies off all time.

Overall i give it a 8.0 I would say the movie has a story but it really doesn't which honestly is amazing that a movie with literally no story can still be so great its because of that all star cast but also because of all the people who made cameos, Vince Vaughn, Tim Robbins, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Luke Wilson, Seth Rogen, Chris Parnell, Fred Armisen, Danny Trejo, Paul F. Tompkins all were excellent.
  45. Mar 9, 2014
    Saw the positive reviews and watched the movie. Was really disappointing, it's like a trash movie just for comedy, you should probably be high to enjoy it, ir I don't know, maybe it's just not my kind of humor, as even South Park/Family Guy has a higher standard.
  46. Nov 10, 2013
    Anchorman is definitely a funny movie: the jokes are there. Many quotes are memorable, and Steve Carrell is an improv genius. The middle does get a little slow and melodramatic, but the movie redeems itself in the end scenes that makes for a concise, raunchy comedy about working in the news.
  47. Dec 20, 2013
    Gets better with every viewing one of the most quotable movies of all time. Will Ferrell is at his best, making you root for a character we really have no business rooting for.
  48. Nov 13, 2013
    Ron Burgundy is the balls.
    Anchorman with its raunchy, over the top characters, and brutally stereotypical screenplay; incredibly succeeds. If you do not laugh at this than you are honestly dark inside.
  49. Dec 4, 2013
    Really???
    It seems like the intention of this movie is being an ironic comedy. But to do it, the director makes a retarded and bad movie with some nonsense things... It is a little strange for me to see a movie being intentionally bad. But that's what happened. I just laughed 2 or 3 times in the movie, and it was only because the scene was extremely retarded.
    Not recommended at all.
  50. Dec 12, 2013
    I was expecting this to be a hilarious Will Ferrel driven film, but instead only had a few laughs and didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. Could have also made more use of the other characters.
  51. Mar 7, 2014
    will ferrell is a good funny , cool dude . i love anchorman it is funny as **** . it will knock your shoes off . i got to go anchorman 2 as the better film then this one
  52. Mar 19, 2014
    If you like Will Ferrell's "man child" comedy this is the best there is. During every scene I was laughing and although many events in the scenario were unreal and absurd somehow they were the exaggeration of the relatable. It has a specific audience I get it; if you are outside this group you would find this movie boring but in its genre this movie is nothing less than perfect.
  53. Mar 4, 2014
    Hilariously absurd, and me being relatively new to Will Ferrell humour, it was incredibly unexpected. A light-hearted, pick-me-up film, but nothing groundbreaking.
  54. May 21, 2014
    Some of the characters are kind of dumb. Brick is really not a normal guy in the movie. If he's dumb, I think he has autism. Well, the reason I gave some points because of the funny jokes and the plot.

1. Wonderfully silly all the time.
  2. Ferrell, of course, has his moments. But he doesn't have an engaging "center" as a comedian.
  3. I can't help but feel that a funny movie was waiting to be unearthed amid all this self-congratulation and juvenile prankishness.