7.7

1. Jul 15, 2015
    One of the more underrated comedy movies of all time, Will Ferrell is at his best in Anchorman. I think he really hit his stride during the years he made this, Old School and Talladega Nights and made the most intelligently stupid comedy the World had seen. A lot of people weren't ready but they need to get ready, movies like this and the people that love it are the future of comedyOne of the more underrated comedy movies of all time, Will Ferrell is at his best in Anchorman. I think he really hit his stride during the years he made this, Old School and Talladega Nights and made the most intelligently stupid comedy the World had seen. A lot of people weren't ready but they need to get ready, movies like this and the people that love it are the future of comedy movies. I, for one, am ecstatic, the genre has a fresh, renewed feeling and is so unique. Will Ferrell is a comedy genius and this is one of his masterpieces. Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2014
    Despite overwhelming praise for Anchorman over the past ten years, I still have little appreciation for this "comic" flick. Will Ferrell is Will Ferrell and nothing more. His unfunny antics are just as present here as they are in every other disappointing Ferrell flick.
  3. Jul 29, 2014
    "Anchorman: The legend of Ron Burgundy" is a very solid comedy, in fact, it's very freaking funny, but in all honesty, it's not the greatest comedic driving film ive ever seen. The real overall-arcing problem i have with the film is how its really stupid and i honestly found the main character to be irritating, as well as the supporting acts, besides BRICK, brick is da best.

Overall i

Overall i believe that Anchor man is a good time but in no means necessary a classic
  4. Jun 19, 2014
    "60% of the time, it works every time."

"60% of the time, it works every time."

Ah yes Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy i remember it took me a few years after the movie had been released to finally get around to watching it mainly because my friends had recommended it to me. Needless to say i freaking laughed so much at this movie with so many quotable lines and a amazing set of great comedy actors there was no doubt this movie was on the track to be a cult classic. It seems Adam McKay and Will Ferrell do every movie together as all five of McKay's movies have had Will Ferrell in them. This is easily Mckay's best movie but that's no shock because he hit magic with this movie as it really set off his career.

The movie follows Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) The famous lead anchorman for the highest-rated news station in San Diego. After the top bosses want more diversity in the workplace Ron's boss Ed Harken (Fred Willard) informs him and his team, field reporter Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd), Weather man Brick Tamland (Steve Carell), and sports reporter Champ Kind (David Koechner) that he has hired a new reporter Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) which turns out to be the same woman Ron tired to hit on the night before at a party. After a couple of tries Ron finally gets Veronica to basically go on a date with him where she ends up falling for him and they soon start to date. After Ron is unable to deliver the news Veronica steps in and nails it which in turns leads to her becoming co-anchor.

Ron and the group hate this as it turns all the other employees against them and even to be made fun of by other news stations. After Veronica goes too far she gets Ron fired causing his life to become a mess but when duty calls Ron must redeem himself to retake his thrown as the best anchorman in San Diego. The movie has so many hilarious moments my two favorite being the major battle between all the news station, this is when we see a lot of cameos none funnier than Ben Stiller another great moment is the Jack Black part i lost it at those two parts the most and started to cry back when i had first seen it. Even though its lost some of its luster of the past years Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy still to this day stands as one of the best comedy movies of the 2000's also one of the most quotable movies off all time.

Overall i give it a 8.0 I would say the movie has a story but it really doesn't which honestly is amazing that a movie with literally no story can still be so great its because of that all star cast but also because of all the people who made cameos, Vince Vaughn, Tim Robbins, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Luke Wilson, Seth Rogen, Chris Parnell, Fred Armisen, Danny Trejo, Paul F. Tompkins all were excellent.
  5. May 21, 2014
    Some of the characters are kind of dumb. Brick is really not a normal guy in the movie. If he's dumb, I think he has autism. Well, the reason I gave some points because of the funny jokes and the plot.
  6. Apr 26, 2014
    Anchorman is funny as hell, and it one of the more memorable straight up comedies. With great one liners and an actual story that isn't repulsive or ridiculously cliché it is hard not to enjoy.
  7. Mar 19, 2014
    If you like Will Ferrell's "man child" comedy this is the best there is. During every scene I was laughing and although many events in the scenario were unreal and absurd somehow they were the exaggeration of the relatable. It has a specific audience I get it; if you are outside this group you would find this movie boring but in its genre this movie is nothing less than perfect.
  8. Mar 9, 2014
    Saw the positive reviews and watched the movie. Was really disappointing, it's like a trash movie just for comedy, you should probably be high to enjoy it, ir I don't know, maybe it's just not my kind of humor, as even South Park/Family Guy has a higher standard.
  9. Mar 7, 2014
    will ferrell is a good funny , cool dude . i love anchorman it is funny as **** . it will knock your shoes off . i got to go anchorman 2 as the better film then this one
  10. Mar 4, 2014
    Hilariously absurd, and me being relatively new to Will Ferrell humour, it was incredibly unexpected. A light-hearted, pick-me-up film, but nothing groundbreaking.
  11. Jan 29, 2014
    One of the best comedies ever made! Will Ferrell at his very best! This is one of those movies I will never get tired of no matter how many times I watch it
  12. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In typical Will Ferrell fashion, Anchorman combines childish and over-the-top humor with very crude and profane humor and delivers some really funny scenes. Where the film fails to deliver, however, is in anything remotely resembling a well developing plot. A anchorman is on top of the world, gets intimidated when his girlfriend becomes his co-anchor, gets fired for being an idiot, hits rock bottom, and then gets rehired after saving the day. There, that's the entire movie. The other 90 of the 94 minutes is the humor I was referring to. If you don't mind it, you'll find some laughs and probably find the film a worthwhile watch. If not, you'll likely wish you could get back that hour and a half. Personally, I find myself somewhere in the middle, but leaning more towards finding the laughs worthwhile. It's a good movie to watch and laugh at with friends, that's about it. Expand
  13. Dec 27, 2013
    A movie of epic ridiculousness, Anchorman is a comedy that has many peaks and valleys in its hilariousness. While many of the jokes do fall flat, there is no denying that this film goes to extraordinary lengths of stupidity to deliver them, which almost makes me admire it. If there is one thing Anchorman is not guilty of though it is not being memorable. Even the scenes I did not like asA movie of epic ridiculousness, Anchorman is a comedy that has many peaks and valleys in its hilariousness. While many of the jokes do fall flat, there is no denying that this film goes to extraordinary lengths of stupidity to deliver them, which almost makes me admire it. If there is one thing Anchorman is not guilty of though it is not being memorable. Even the scenes I did not like as much still stuck in my mind, but luckily there were more good ones than bad that made this film well worth watching from start to finish. Expand
  14. Dec 20, 2013
    Gets better with every viewing one of the most quotable movies of all time. Will Ferrell is at his best, making you root for a character we really have no business rooting for.
  15. Dec 20, 2013
    This movie is hilarious. I can't wait to see no. 2 in movies soon! I think steve did the best acting, but ferrel did do great acting too. WATCH IT RIGHT NOW
  16. Dec 12, 2013
    I was expecting this to be a hilarious Will Ferrel driven film, but instead only had a few laughs and didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. Could have also made more use of the other characters.
  17. Dec 4, 2013
    Really???
    It seems like the intention of this movie is being an ironic comedy. But to do it, the director makes a retarded and bad movie with some nonsense things... It is a little strange for me to see a movie being intentionally bad. But that's what happened. I just laughed 2 or 3 times in the movie, and it was only because the scene was extremely retarded.
    Not recommended at all.
  18. Nov 13, 2013
    Ron Burgundy is the balls.
    Anchorman with its raunchy, over the top characters, and brutally stereotypical screenplay; incredibly succeeds. If you do not laugh at this than you are honestly dark inside.
  19. Nov 10, 2013
    Anchorman is definitely a funny movie: the jokes are there. Many quotes are memorable, and Steve Carrell is an improv genius. The middle does get a little slow and melodramatic, but the movie redeems itself in the end scenes that makes for a concise, raunchy comedy about working in the news.
  20. Nov 2, 2013
    Officially cemented itself on my Favourite Comedies of All Time list. Ferrell is at his comedic best and the ensemble cast including a few uncredited cameos just bring it up even higher. Some lame jokes in one or two places that felt a little forced but ultimately, its a comedic excellence.
  21. Aug 29, 2013
    One of the best comedies I've ever seen and probably the best with Will Ferrell. A lot of really funny jokes and perfect cast including some guest appearances by Jack Black, Ben Stiller and even Danny Trejo.
  22. Aug 16, 2013
    You get it, or you don't, or you do and just don't relate anyway. Whatever the case may be, this sort of random, senseless comedy is a subgenre of comedic films that is just as often praised as it is ridiculed.

I find myself praising it more often than not, and particularly so when Will Ferrell is involved. The man is, quite simply, as adept at this style of comedy as anyone ever has been, and his strong and silly performance, alongside a terrific supporting cast, have made Anchorman a classic in my mind. It has provided me and my friends more quotable lines and good times than any other Ferrell flick, and we typically enjoy them all. The upcoming sequel seems to me, at least, to be Ferrell's way of doing justice to what he believes to be his finest film.

Just as important to making the film work is the rest of the Channel 5 News Team. Brick, Champ and Brian are pivotal in playing off of each other, taking advantage of somewhat predictable quirks and eccentricities with skill. Paul Rudd quickly became a comedy/dramatic comedy staple at the box office, and his work here, alongside Steve Carrell's slow-but-sweet portrayal of weatherman Brick Tamlan and the underrated Champ Kind (played by the also underrated David Koechner) round out the film, give it an identity with memorable characters and classic scenes.

The rest of the cast is stand-up as well, including Alicia Silverstone, who holds up strong as Ferrell's counterpart and vying anchorwoman Veronica Corningstone. It all comes together quite nicely cast-wise, and the writing..well, the writing is the best you're going to find in a quote/unquote "silly" comedy, where the story is just a foundation for the ridiculousness to flow off of.

Honestly, I can understand the strong disagreement when I say so, but in my mind, Anchorman is without a doubt one of the finest comedic films ever created. It is, much like Mr. Burgundy himself, the balls.
  23. Aug 12, 2013
    In Anchorman first time director Adam McKay really makes the most of the fantastic talent at his disposal that includes the likes of Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and of course Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy in what must surely still be his most memorable role to date. Never taking itself too seriously this is a movie that celebrates being ridiculously over the top yet always maintains a pinpointIn Anchorman first time director Adam McKay really makes the most of the fantastic talent at his disposal that includes the likes of Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and of course Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy in what must surely still be his most memorable role to date. Never taking itself too seriously this is a movie that celebrates being ridiculously over the top yet always maintains a pinpoint sense of comic timing to keep the laughs coming.

A must see for fans of films like Austin Powers and The Hangover.
  24. Jun 30, 2013
    I just don't know what to say. The first time I saw this, I didn't laugh. Then I watched it again, and I almost peed myself. This is arguably Ferrell's best film to date, no doubt a cult classic.
  25. Jun 28, 2013
    There's no denying how funny this movie is. Just about every line is quotable due to how funny they are. In fact, there's a kid in my neighborhood who has, in fact, memorized just about every line in this movie. Every time he quotes Anchorman, I still laugh. I'm super pumped for the sequel.
  26. Apr 6, 2013
    Will Ferrell and director Adam McKay teaming up was truly a brilliant. This movie really boosted Will Ferrell's career as a comedic actor. Not only that, but out of all his movies, this one is his biggest and most known role of his career. Anchorman was a hilarious slap-stick comedy. I do admit, it has stupid moments, but how can you resist the hilarious charm this movie has to offer. ItWill Ferrell and director Adam McKay teaming up was truly a brilliant. This movie really boosted Will Ferrell's career as a comedic actor. Not only that, but out of all his movies, this one is his biggest and most known role of his career. Anchorman was a hilarious slap-stick comedy. I do admit, it has stupid moments, but how can you resist the hilarious charm this movie has to offer. It also features an ensemble of funny actors like Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, David Koechner and Fred Wilard. But out of those actors, Steve Carell steals a bit of the show with his stupid charm. Overall, it's a hilarious screwball comedy done surprisingly right. Expand
  27. Jan 20, 2013
    This is a very funny movie, one of Will Ferrell's best. It also has tons of other hollywood funny men as either main characters or a hilarious cameo. There's really not much else to say, as you can see by the score it's a great comedy and one that I recommend.
  28. Nov 28, 2012
    An unending tornado of irresistible hilarity, "Anchorman" represents the finest work Adam McKay and Will Ferrell have to offer.
  29. Nov 9, 2012
    I appreciate sophisticated humor as much as the next guy. I do think that such humor is often the best. But that doesn't mean that I don't love the s**t out of some silly nonsense every now and again.
  30. Nov 8, 2012
    Is there even an ounce of sense to it? No, none. But its downright hilarious and has a language of its own.
  31. Oct 28, 2012
    I really can't fathom why a movie like this is popular. It's just Will Ferrell saying stupid things in a tone he considers to be comedic. If you can shut off your brain for 90 minutes, this might be enjoyable, but if you prefer to laugh at movies that are written with wit and intelligence, you might want to stay away from this one. It is one of the most overrated comedies of the 21stI really can't fathom why a movie like this is popular. It's just Will Ferrell saying stupid things in a tone he considers to be comedic. If you can shut off your brain for 90 minutes, this might be enjoyable, but if you prefer to laugh at movies that are written with wit and intelligence, you might want to stay away from this one. It is one of the most overrated comedies of the 21st century, as well as one of the worst. I think this sort of act from Will Ferrell was popular when this movie came out, but now I think people are starting to get sick of it, and I can't imagine the sequel getting good reviews. I could find the same level of intelligent humor on Nickelodeon or The Cartoon Network, just not as crude. I wouldn't mind the crudeness if it were actually funny or clever, but this movie was far from that. I didn't laugh one time. I'd like to sit down with someone who found this movie funny, and ask them to explain the humor in every joke. Thinking about the jokes in a great comedy causes those jokes to flourish, and the value of the humor increases. Try to dissect each moment of purported humor in this movie, and you will truly find nobody home. Expand
  32. Aug 18, 2012
    For me, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy is pretty much the funniest film of all time. It's an eternal classic that never gets old and has the type of quotes that stay with you for life and enter your daily vernacular. Get your friends round, watch this movie as a group... comedy heaven!
  33. Jun 5, 2012
    Such a great film. I had no idea that San Diego was discovered by Germans.....Will ferrel stars as a Anchorman for Channel 4 news, he has a happy life living with his dog Baxter. Until a new woman journalist comes in. This film was funny, smart and well though through. Steve carrel was especially good in this film.
  34. May 31, 2012
    Its much funnier than Talladega Nights and theres a better cast here. Will Ferrell has rarely been better and the story, while sloppy in its construction, is very memorable.
  35. May 27, 2012
    Anchorman is a decent comedy. It has its moments, and sometimes you will laugh pretty hard. But, its pretty dull most of the times also. From Will Ferrell, I expected more but it is worth a watch at least once.
  36. Apr 2, 2012
    Anchorman is an extrememely funny film with great acting by everyone. Through incorporating an array of different personalties into the film, it creates a pleasurable and enjoyable atmosphere. One of the best comedies in years.
  37. Mar 31, 2012
    Will Farrell is always funny. In this he is hilarious. It is pretty inappropriate. Irections and much more. If you like dogs you will see one fall of a bridge.
  38. Feb 29, 2012
    A ton of hilarious parts in the film but the last 45 mins or so were incredibly stupid and ruined the first half of the film for me. Its still a funny comedy though so I guess it makes up for it.
  39. Dec 26, 2011
    Quite possibly the most quotable movie of all time. "They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time." You don't have a sense of humor if you don't laugh in this.
  40. Dec 12, 2011
    The movie starts off hilariously perfect but the last 45 mins or so of the film are just so terrible and poorly writting that it ruins the good experiance that you had before it. Far too long imo and that hurt the film big time.
  41. Nov 30, 2011
    how the hell is this only a 7.1?! This was easily Will Ferells best movie and you people that comment with no sense of humor always screw it up! This movie was great btw. I say 10!
  42. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    Probably the funniest movie of the decade. Will Ferrell plays his funniest character to date. It just puts a stupid smile on your face. It has that unique quality of repeatably, where you can watch this over and over and not get sick of it.
  43. Jul 27, 2011
    This movie is a perfect-to-watch-with-friends comedy. So perfect in fact, there wasn't a time where I wasn't at least smiling. It's humor is somewhat dated and slightly stupid, but it's actors carry it so well.
  44. Jun 17, 2011
    A fantastic comedy film. It is incredibly funny, and well acted. The writing is brilliant, as is the premise. There are at least 7 moments for which I was laughing uncontrollably. It is easily the best collaboration between McKay and Ferrell, and a great movie all around.
  45. May 19, 2011
    Adam McKay. Need I say more? This movie is my favorite comedy of all time. I loved every moment of it. Is it inappropriate, and crude humor? YES. Is it one of the most quotable movies of all time? YES. This (imo) is Will Ferrell's best film. I still watch it religiously. Should you see this movie? YES. But I am not you.
  46. May 11, 2011
    The funniest film I have ever seen. Period. But my reviews should be longer, so... Will Ferrell excels here as egotistical News Anchor Ron Burgundy, in fact, the entire cast acts above and beyond, excelling as brilliant characters. But the breakout star of the film has to be the mentally challenged Brick Tamland, played by The Office's own Steve Carrell, delivering out a plentitude ofThe funniest film I have ever seen. Period. But my reviews should be longer, so... Will Ferrell excels here as egotistical News Anchor Ron Burgundy, in fact, the entire cast acts above and beyond, excelling as brilliant characters. But the breakout star of the film has to be the mentally challenged Brick Tamland, played by The Office's own Steve Carrell, delivering out a plentitude of hilarious lines ("I ate a big red candle", "Mm, I burnt my tongue", "Where'd you get those clothes, at the toilet store?") One of the most quotable films in movie history. If you picked a random line from this film, you can guarantee it's quotable, from the statistical ("60% of the time, it works every time"), to the insulting ("You're a smelly pirate hooker", "Why don't you go back to your home on whore island"), to the informative ("San Diego, discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina") to the declarations of love ("I love Lamp") The film is rife with cameos, and not one of them feels out of place or like a cardboard cut-out. Be it Ben Stiller as Arturo Mendez, Spanish Anchor, Jack Black as a motorcyclist who won't draw the line at kicking dogs off bridges, Tim Robbins as an anchor who'll cut off arms and then calmly smoke a pipe or Danny Trejo, a bartender who'll offer sage words of advice (even if it goes unheeded) This film is responsible for one of my favourite ever film moments: The big fight between the news stations, which manages to escelate from an exchange of words, to the characters pulling out weapons (knifes, table legs, hand grenades), then in less than half a minute, there's a man on fire, men on horses, Brick killing a guy with a Trident and Luke Wilson getting an arm cut off. It sounds insane, but its one of those moments which must be seen to understand. If I could only recommend one film where you'd have a fun time laughing your ass off, it's Anchorman. You stay classy, Rotten Tomatoes, and thanks for stopping by Expand
  47. Apr 28, 2011
    A truly hilarious movie from start to finish. I must have seen this film at least 10 times and never have I found it boring. This is largely because Anchorman contains some classic quotes and great performances, with a large number of enjoyable cameos. The film never degenerates into a period where the laughs dry up, unlike many other Will Ferrell movies, and is a masterpiece of comedy.
  48. Jan 18, 2011
    If you don't like Will Ferrell's style of comedy don't even give this one a try. If you do like his comedy then Anchorman is a must and is one of the funnier movies you will watch.
  49. Oct 18, 2010
    Quotable and superb comedy. I'm not the biggest fan of Will Ferrel but this is one of the few movies where he pulls it out of the bag for me. 'Gonna find my baby,gonna hold her tight, gonna get some afternoon delight'.
  50. ratethismovie
    Aug 14, 2009
    It has its moments where you'll laugh but at the end of the day it's a pretty bad movie. Most of the humor is based on the characters behaving really stupid and loud. Throughout the movie it felt like my IQ was going down. If you like over the top humor which would amuse 8 year olds then you'll like it, but if you like humor to have a bit of depth and sophistication to it, It has its moments where you'll laugh but at the end of the day it's a pretty bad movie. Most of the humor is based on the characters behaving really stupid and loud. Throughout the movie it felt like my IQ was going down. If you like over the top humor which would amuse 8 year olds then you'll like it, but if you like humor to have a bit of depth and sophistication to it, then look elsewhere. Expand
  51. boolooloo
    Mar 16, 2009
    Between my 3 friends at school and me we have seen this 43 times. Brilliance from Adam Mckay.
  52. TjE
    Jan 21, 2009
    A very funny movie. I don't think anyone who appreciates comedy can watch this without laughing once. Be warned however, Anchorman isn't for everybody. People who don't like random jokes or watch movies only for plot will not enjoy Anchorman. Everyone else will fall in love with it.
  53. ClintT.
    Mar 1, 2008
    It
  54. aimee
    Jan 22, 2008
    This film is hilarious, will farrel is one funny man, I could watch this film over and over and it would never get old. Two phumbs up.
  55. JesusC.
    Jan 18, 2008
    Extremely funny. Will Ferrel's best by far.
  56. JustinP.
    Dec 5, 2007
    One of my all time favourite comedies.
  57. IanM.
    Sep 17, 2007
    The arousal this movie gave me was painful in its intensity.
  58. Sophie
    Jul 31, 2007
    Fantastic comedy.. just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. Some of the lines are priceless and instant classics. I can watch this movie again and again and not get bored.
  59. DickO.
    Jun 23, 2007
    To be honest, i cant handle to much dumbass comedy like Adam Sandler as such but this was in a whole different class of dumbass, absolute class.
  60. MarkJ.
    Mar 30, 2007
    Terrible! Boring! I thought this movie woul be fun to watch, but it was total crap!
  61. TyJ.
    Feb 20, 2007
    Funniest movie of recent times, and, upon further reflection, we can see a glimmer of what the 70's were like, gender equality struggles, and I think we can all see a bit of ourselves in the sweet, although conceited, Ron Burgundy as played by Will Ferrell.
  62. JohnR.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Will Ferrell is hilarious once again. The man is good. I mean really good. The movie is filled with so many great quotes that no one can help but use in their everyday life. Two thumbs way up for this masterpiece.
  63. CharlieD.
    Oct 3, 2006
    One of the best films ever, this truly is Will Farrell at his best....
  64. JoshuaS.
    Aug 11, 2006
    Really, if you want brilliant, surreal, euphoric comedy you have this movie or "Pootytang" in the last, dunno, ten....twenty years? This movie is so chock full of jokes....jokes jokes jokes....than it feels limitless. I love knowing that the film makers loved making the movie and did it with balls confidence but no arrogance. But I love even more knowing those things just by watching the Really, if you want brilliant, surreal, euphoric comedy you have this movie or "Pootytang" in the last, dunno, ten....twenty years? This movie is so chock full of jokes....jokes jokes jokes....than it feels limitless. I love knowing that the film makers loved making the movie and did it with balls confidence but no arrogance. But I love even more knowing those things just by watching the movie. Joy and adventure drips from every scene, every cast member right down to the "Smells like a turd wrapped in burt hair." person. Expand
  65. TinaS.
    Aug 4, 2006
    hilarious...absolutley hystarical.
  66. FrancoH.
    Aug 2, 2006
    It's Anchorman! It's on Bravo's top 100 funniest movies of all-time! So that must mean something.
  67. MatthewL.
    Aug 1, 2006
    I thought this film was terrible. I was so disappointed b/c it looked really funny. It felt more like a long, interminable sketch originally rejected by the producers of "Saturday Night Live", instead of a movie. Will Ferrell tries way too hard in this film that made me want to change the channel. It was dumb, but not funny. Will Ferrell, you let me down so much with "Elf", but I thought this film was terrible. I was so disappointed b/c it looked really funny. It felt more like a long, interminable sketch originally rejected by the producers of "Saturday Night Live", instead of a movie. Will Ferrell tries way too hard in this film that made me want to change the channel. It was dumb, but not funny. Will Ferrell, you let me down so much with "Elf", but you've let me down even more with this terrible film. 1 star out of four. Grade: D Expand
  68. FelixQ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    I expected so much more. We have some comedic geniuses thrown together here, and I expected big bangs. IT didn't suck, despite the presence of Christina Applegate, which is saying something. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if you're going to make a movie this specialized, grab the niche and own it. The problem I have with this is that it almost feels like I expected so much more. We have some comedic geniuses thrown together here, and I expected big bangs. IT didn't suck, despite the presence of Christina Applegate, which is saying something. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if you're going to make a movie this specialized, grab the niche and own it. The problem I have with this is that it almost feels like the film makers did try to do this, but fell short. It's one thing to miss that mark because of reservations, but to shoot the moon and collapse on take off is just plain embarassing. There are some cute moments- the accapella quartet was quite nice, as was the Monty Pythn like hacking of Luke Wilson's limbs. Over all, though, I was disappointed. And for heaven's sake, don't hide all the pretty-ness that is Paul Rudd under a moustache! Expand
  69. MikeH.
    Jul 10, 2006
    I thought Anchorman was great, and the movie is incessantly replayable. Typical comedy cliches are turned inside out and made original and the casting is inspired. There seem to be a fair few negative reviews, I guess the irony of the entire film was lost on some. To each to his own i suppose.
  70. WillieG.
    May 23, 2006
    this film had plenty of laughs - ferrell, vaughn, carell...they're all a trip - I usually don't like films that are THIS stupid, but they hit the sweet spot with the ridiculous skits (like the news team brawl) - applegate was the only miscast and totally non-funny member of the cast, they should have gotten the brunette from scary movie - if you can't find several things to this film had plenty of laughs - ferrell, vaughn, carell...they're all a trip - I usually don't like films that are THIS stupid, but they hit the sweet spot with the ridiculous skits (like the news team brawl) - applegate was the only miscast and totally non-funny member of the cast, they should have gotten the brunette from scary movie - if you can't find several things to crack a smile or laugh at in this film, you just might be a 'smelly pirate hooker'. Expand
  71. RobP.
    Mar 30, 2006
    If i could have given this movie a 11 then i would have in the blink of an eye! First saw the movie over a year ago and me and my mates still laugh and make quotes from it today. Pure genius!
  72. FraserW.
    Mar 12, 2006
    When i aw tis i was laughing so hard in the theater that i almost got kicked out even though the story line looks like it came out of a cows but i enjoyed the hell out of it... Overall: B-
  73. FrankO.
    Jan 25, 2006
    Very funny movie but what should you expect with Will Ferrell in it; plotline and characters got a little old after awhile..interesting concept and a retro look at television news.
  74. RitaP.
    Jan 24, 2006
    Gold, absolute gold. If you don't love this film then frankly you have tired of life and should confine yourself to your bed waiting for the inevitable. Otherwise join the rest of us in marvelling at the comedic genius of Will Ferrell and co.
  75. AndrewH
    Nov 22, 2005
    Old School was funny, and Elf was enjoyable enough to watch twice. This, on the other hand, is an insipid waste of time. If you laugh at this, you'll laugh at anything.
  76. RodDog
    Aug 29, 2005
    The entire cast is hillarious is this fun filled 70's theme movie.
  77. JanetK
    Aug 14, 2005
    This movie should be a cult classic like Rocky Horror! We should be going to see it at midnight showings for 20+years. Shout it from a mountain top!
  78. DaveF
    Aug 9, 2005
    Hilarious movie. This is SNL skit-cinema at its (almost) best, with far more laughs than groans. The surprise a capella "Afternoon Delight" was surprisingly well-done, too. It works because it's inversely ironic--a piece of real class set against a ridiculously silly and crude movie.
  79. Jake
    Aug 4, 2005
    If you hate this show because it's dumb, pull your head out. News Flash, it's supposed to be. It's not supposed to be a damn artsie film. It made me laugh more than any movie in a long time, so it deserves a 10!
  80. JoelA.
    Jul 18, 2005
    The best movie... How can you not love it?!
  81. Mr.B
    Jul 9, 2005
    As far as comedy goes, this is pretty funny. Not the best, but worth adding to you dvd collection. If you put too much thought into it, its not going to be a perfect movie, but who really cares, it succeeds in entertaining and making you laugh. Anyone who gives this a 1 should get a life and lighten up!
  82. RobertS.
    May 23, 2005
    I'm surprised to give this film a rating at all--as if it deserved one! You know, it's funny--I used to think Will Ferrell was too normal to be funny (except on SNL). But his characters are too dumb--his acting in general is dumb. Look at Old School--that was just twisted. ANCHORMAN was even more so--not even funny. It was the same twisted, childish bathroom humor that keeps I'm surprised to give this film a rating at all--as if it deserved one! You know, it's funny--I used to think Will Ferrell was too normal to be funny (except on SNL). But his characters are too dumb--his acting in general is dumb. Look at Old School--that was just twisted. ANCHORMAN was even more so--not even funny. It was the same twisted, childish bathroom humor that keeps pathetic actors like Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and Ferrell on set long enough to show people how stupid and unoriginal they are. What a waste of two hours of my precious life. Save your time and your money. If you receive a copy of ANCHORMAN for a birthday present from a friend or family member, I'd recommend throwing away the cover and using the DVD for a Frisbee. That's all it's good there. Expand
  83. BrianO.
    Apr 12, 2005
    The first time I watched Anchorman I would have given it a 6. But the more you talk about it and watch it with your friends, the funnier it becomes! Its definately a quotable movie. If you didnt like it at first, I suggest watching it with a group of friends because.."Sixty percent of the time, it works EVERY time"
  84. JimW.
    Apr 4, 2005
    This movie was so bad. I didn't laugh a single time. I love stupid comedies (Airplane, Dumb and Dumber, etc) but this moive was just terrible. What version of the 70's did they live in, anyway? The video Sabatoge by the Beastie Boys looks more like the 70's than this hunk of shit. Avoid it at all cost.
  85. ArthurO.
    Feb 23, 2005
    Saw this a long time ago, but I need to say something. This movie is awesome, its too bad that people like ashish and most critics cannot laugh at these great, stupid comedies. That's why brain-dead movies like Million Dollar Baby are up for an Oscar. For those of you who like to actually laugh while watching a movie, pick this up if you haven't already.
  86. KevinE.
    Feb 7, 2005
    Slop. I kept waiting for it to rise above 'Bio Dome' stature but it just wouldn't. Finally pulled the plug after the umpteenth ploppy floppy dud of a go-nowhere punchline delivered by - take your pick (= to about 18 minutes into this bomb).
  87. MarcusM
    Feb 7, 2005
    A halarious movie packed with witty lines and cool characters. The cameos are great too! Hands down, Will Farrell is one of the funniest men alive.
  88. AshishC.
    Feb 5, 2005
    Hard to believe the studios allowed such a hackneyed script to be made into a film.. it is targeted at the lowest common denominator of mankind.
  89. bm
    Jan 26, 2005
    Delightful!
  90. Matt
    Jan 25, 2005
    How can you not love this movie?! Hysterically funny, GREAT quotes! The next Zoolander.
  91. PeterJ.
    Jan 21, 2005
    A good solid comedy. Not Will Ferrell at his best, but a very good performance nonetheless.
  92. BorisG.
    Jan 21, 2005
    Pure genius!! Anchorman incorporates a diverse range of comedic techniques which provides the audience with constant laughter and entertainment. Through incorporating an array of different personalties into the film, it creates a pleasurable and enjoyable atmosphere.
  93. NavinR
    Jan 12, 2005
    This is a terrible movie unless you are a Will Ferrel lover.
  94. BurtonM.
    Jan 12, 2005
    Another comedy masterpiece from will farrel. Hilarious. Especially if you are old enough to remember the 70's.
  95. MitchM.
    Jan 10, 2005
    The film really nails things like Ron's hair, his clothes, his arching eyebrow, period details, and the artifice of his personna. The rest of it is all rather flat. ELF is a far superior vehicle for WF. (yawn)
  96. LAha
    Jan 10, 2005
    One of the best movies I've seen in a while. Will Farrell is absolutely amazing in a role that he was born to play!
  97. TylerN.
    Jan 9, 2005
    Suprisingly funny. Anchorman may have some slow and unnecessary sequences but other than that it is pretty much Will Farrell material. Not only is it funny, but it also one of the few movies I enjoy seeing more than once.
  98. LouisS
    Jan 8, 2005
    This was awful. Worst film I've ever watched!!!
  99. DaveM.
    Jan 7, 2005
    This film was not as funny as I had hoped it would be but was still worth seeing. The scene in the jazz club was priceless!
  100. CalamariJ.
    Jan 7, 2005
    A really funny movie with many cool cameos. Christina Applegate is spot on with her acting. Ferell and her have a great chemistry which makes this movie so damn funny.

1. Wonderfully silly all the time.
  2. Ferrell, of course, has his moments. But he doesn't have an engaging "center" as a comedian.
  3. I can't help but feel that a funny movie was waiting to be unearthed amid all this self-congratulation and juvenile prankishness.