DreamWorks Distribution | Release Date: July 9, 2004
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 421 Ratings
Watch Now
Iggyshow4351Nov 24, 2017
Thumbs up. Good one.Thumbs up. Good one. 888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 Expand
MrMovieBuffSep 4, 2016
'Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy' is a hilarious, sometimes strangely structured and bizarre comedy from director Adam Mckay and star Will Ferrell, who plays the title character, Ron Burgundy.

The story focuses on a Channel 4 News

The story focuses on a Channel 4 News Team during the 1970s which includes Ron, along with his best friends and fellow anchormen, Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd), Champ Kind (David Koechner) and Brick Tamland (Steve Carell). After they hit a ratings high and breaking records, the news team celebrate and Ron bumps into a woman named Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) who he becomes infatuated with, despite giving the wrong impressions. It also turns out that she is interested in becoming an anchorwoman for the Channel 4 Team, becoming the world's first female anchor, ever.

This beings a lot of dismay among Ron's friends as they believe that making this kind of progress is a bad name for the Channel 4 News Team, especially in front of their rivals, the Anchorman Wes Mantooth (Vince Vaughn), whose News network has been plummeting in the ratings.

"Anchorman" is very funny at parts, there are some scenes however, that will seem a little jarring to some as some of the jokes don't land on their feet so to say. But Will Ferrell and his co-stars do some amazing work to keep the movie alive, thanks to their wacky chemistry and obnoxious and perfectly timed humor.

"Anchorman" is funnier than you'd think it is.
imthenoobMay 18, 2016
Anchorman is arguably the best film that Will Ferrell has done. It's hilariously funny from start to finish and features so many classic moments. I haven't seen it in years and I can still recall so many jokes. It's truly a must watch comedy.
YellowKirbyDec 30, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Anchorman is one of the funniest films I've seen. Will Ferrel, Paul Rudd and Steve Carrel are excellent, and the jokes are hilarious.

It has innuendos, physical comedy and straight our random comedy, including the scene where Ron plays jazz flute and the scene where all the anchors have an all out war.

Utter brilliance. Stay classy Will Ferrel, and thanks for stopping by!
DanBurritoDec 26, 2015
A hysterical, witty satire on sexism in the 1970's. Truly a great showcase for Will Ferrell's comedic talent. Nobody could have played Ron Burgundy better than him. The supporting cast were also brilliant. I was in stitches all the wayA hysterical, witty satire on sexism in the 1970's. Truly a great showcase for Will Ferrell's comedic talent. Nobody could have played Ron Burgundy better than him. The supporting cast were also brilliant. I was in stitches all the way through! Who knew a comedy about a self-obsessed anchorman could be so funny? It might be a bit absurd and random for some people but those who enjoy Ferrell's work are in for a real treat! Overall, a hugely enjoyable comedy with a lot of laughs. Stay classy Will Ferrell! Expand
zaziumaJul 31, 2015
This s a great movie, so many funny moments, so many little jokes that aren't specifically stated and you actually have to pay attention to get, something a lot of comedies just throw at you can go "hey hey, notice this joke", but this movieThis s a great movie, so many funny moments, so many little jokes that aren't specifically stated and you actually have to pay attention to get, something a lot of comedies just throw at you can go "hey hey, notice this joke", but this movie knows when to be subtle and when to be big and crazy. The moment with the biker absolutely killed me. Expand
harisongrossJul 15, 2015
One of the more underrated comedy movies of all time, Will Ferrell is at his best in Anchorman. I think he really hit his stride during the years he made this, Old School and Talladega Nights and made the most intelligently stupid comedy theOne of the more underrated comedy movies of all time, Will Ferrell is at his best in Anchorman. I think he really hit his stride during the years he made this, Old School and Talladega Nights and made the most intelligently stupid comedy the World had seen. A lot of people weren't ready but they need to get ready, movies like this and the people that love it are the future of comedy movies. I, for one, am ecstatic, the genre has a fresh, renewed feeling and is so unique. Will Ferrell is a comedy genius and this is one of his masterpieces. Expand
ReubenIsAGodJul 29, 2014
"Anchorman: The legend of Ron Burgundy" is a very solid comedy, in fact, it's very freaking funny, but in all honesty, it's not the greatest comedic driving film ive ever seen. The real overall-arcing problem i have with the film is how its"Anchorman: The legend of Ron Burgundy" is a very solid comedy, in fact, it's very freaking funny, but in all honesty, it's not the greatest comedic driving film ive ever seen. The real overall-arcing problem i have with the film is how its really stupid and i honestly found the main character to be irritating, as well as the supporting acts, besides BRICK, brick is da best.

Overall i believe that Anchor man is a good time but in no means necessary a classic
DuckNationJun 19, 2014
"60% of the time, it works every time."

"60% of the time, it works every time."

Ah yes Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy i remember it took me a few years after the movie had been released to finally get around to watching it mainly because my friends had recommended it to me. Needless to say i freaking laughed so much at this movie with so many quotable lines and a amazing set of great comedy actors there was no doubt this movie was on the track to be a cult classic. It seems Adam McKay and Will Ferrell do every movie together as all five of McKay's movies have had Will Ferrell in them. This is easily Mckay's best movie but that's no shock because he hit magic with this movie as it really set off his career.

The movie follows Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) The famous lead anchorman for the highest-rated news station in San Diego. After the top bosses want more diversity in the workplace Ron's boss Ed Harken (Fred Willard) informs him and his team, field reporter Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd), Weather man Brick Tamland (Steve Carell), and sports reporter Champ Kind (David Koechner) that he has hired a new reporter Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) which turns out to be the same woman Ron tired to hit on the night before at a party. After a couple of tries Ron finally gets Veronica to basically go on a date with him where she ends up falling for him and they soon start to date. After Ron is unable to deliver the news Veronica steps in and nails it which in turns leads to her becoming co-anchor.

Ron and the group hate this as it turns all the other employees against them and even to be made fun of by other news stations. After Veronica goes too far she gets Ron fired causing his life to become a mess but when duty calls Ron must redeem himself to retake his thrown as the best anchorman in San Diego. The movie has so many hilarious moments my two favorite being the major battle between all the news station, this is when we see a lot of cameos none funnier than Ben Stiller another great moment is the Jack Black part i lost it at those two parts the most and started to cry back when i had first seen it. Even though its lost some of its luster of the past years Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy still to this day stands as one of the best comedy movies of the 2000's also one of the most quotable movies off all time.

Overall i give it a 8.0 I would say the movie has a story but it really doesn't which honestly is amazing that a movie with literally no story can still be so great its because of that all star cast but also because of all the people who made cameos, Vince Vaughn, Tim Robbins, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Luke Wilson, Seth Rogen, Chris Parnell, Fred Armisen, Danny Trejo, Paul F. Tompkins all were excellent.
Trev29Apr 26, 2014
Anchorman is funny as hell, and it one of the more memorable straight up comedies. With great one liners and an actual story that isn't repulsive or ridiculously cliché it is hard not to enjoy.
GurolgeMar 19, 2014
If you like Will Ferrell's "man child" comedy this is the best there is. During every scene I was laughing and although many events in the scenario were unreal and absurd somehow they were the exaggeration of the relatable. It has a specificIf you like Will Ferrell's "man child" comedy this is the best there is. During every scene I was laughing and although many events in the scenario were unreal and absurd somehow they were the exaggeration of the relatable. It has a specific audience I get it; if you are outside this group you would find this movie boring but in its genre this movie is nothing less than perfect. Expand
lukechristianscMar 7, 2014
will ferrell is a good funny , cool dude . i love anchorman it is funny as **** . it will knock your shoes off . i got to go anchorman 2 as the better film then this one
KayakMar 4, 2014
Hilariously absurd, and me being relatively new to Will Ferrell humour, it was incredibly unexpected. A light-hearted, pick-me-up film, but nothing groundbreaking.
Longo12Jan 29, 2014
One of the best comedies ever made! Will Ferrell at his very best! This is one of those movies I will never get tired of no matter how many times I watch it
XavierBlaqDec 27, 2013
A movie of epic ridiculousness, Anchorman is a comedy that has many peaks and valleys in its hilariousness. While many of the jokes do fall flat, there is no denying that this film goes to extraordinary lengths of stupidity to deliver them,A movie of epic ridiculousness, Anchorman is a comedy that has many peaks and valleys in its hilariousness. While many of the jokes do fall flat, there is no denying that this film goes to extraordinary lengths of stupidity to deliver them, which almost makes me admire it. If there is one thing Anchorman is not guilty of though it is not being memorable. Even the scenes I did not like as much still stuck in my mind, but luckily there were more good ones than bad that made this film well worth watching from start to finish. Expand
mrjoneseznDec 20, 2013
Gets better with every viewing one of the most quotable movies of all time. Will Ferrell is at his best, making you root for a character we really have no business rooting for.
reviewmattDec 20, 2013
This movie is hilarious. I can't wait to see no. 2 in movies soon! I think steve did the best acting, but ferrel did do great acting too. WATCH IT RIGHT NOW
RayzorMooseNov 13, 2013
Ron Burgundy is the balls.
Anchorman with its raunchy, over the top characters, and brutally stereotypical screenplay; incredibly succeeds. If you do not laugh at this than you are honestly dark inside.
MovieGuysNov 10, 2013
Anchorman is definitely a funny movie: the jokes are there. Many quotes are memorable, and Steve Carrell is an improv genius. The middle does get a little slow and melodramatic, but the movie redeems itself in the end scenes that makes for aAnchorman is definitely a funny movie: the jokes are there. Many quotes are memorable, and Steve Carrell is an improv genius. The middle does get a little slow and melodramatic, but the movie redeems itself in the end scenes that makes for a concise, raunchy comedy about working in the news. Expand
aznassassinNov 2, 2013
Officially cemented itself on my Favourite Comedies of All Time list. Ferrell is at his comedic best and the ensemble cast including a few uncredited cameos just bring it up even higher. Some lame jokes in one or two places that felt a littleOfficially cemented itself on my Favourite Comedies of All Time list. Ferrell is at his comedic best and the ensemble cast including a few uncredited cameos just bring it up even higher. Some lame jokes in one or two places that felt a little forced but ultimately, its a comedic excellence. Expand
StaticSpineAug 29, 2013
One of the best comedies I've ever seen and probably the best with Will Ferrell. A lot of really funny jokes and perfect cast including some guest appearances by Jack Black, Ben Stiller and even Danny Trejo.
Kevbo85Aug 16, 2013
You get it, or you don't, or you do and just don't relate anyway. Whatever the case may be, this sort of random, senseless comedy is a subgenre of comedic films that is just as often praised as it is ridiculed.

I find myself praising it

I find myself praising it more often than not, and particularly so when Will Ferrell is involved. The man is, quite simply, as adept at this style of comedy as anyone ever has been, and his strong and silly performance, alongside a terrific supporting cast, have made Anchorman a classic in my mind. It has provided me and my friends more quotable lines and good times than any other Ferrell flick, and we typically enjoy them all. The upcoming sequel seems to me, at least, to be Ferrell's way of doing justice to what he believes to be his finest film.

Just as important to making the film work is the rest of the Channel 5 News Team. Brick, Champ and Brian are pivotal in playing off of each other, taking advantage of somewhat predictable quirks and eccentricities with skill. Paul Rudd quickly became a comedy/dramatic comedy staple at the box office, and his work here, alongside Steve Carrell's slow-but-sweet portrayal of weatherman Brick Tamlan and the underrated Champ Kind (played by the also underrated David Koechner) round out the film, give it an identity with memorable characters and classic scenes.

The rest of the cast is stand-up as well, including Alicia Silverstone, who holds up strong as Ferrell's counterpart and vying anchorwoman Veronica Corningstone. It all comes together quite nicely cast-wise, and the writing..well, the writing is the best you're going to find in a quote/unquote "silly" comedy, where the story is just a foundation for the ridiculousness to flow off of.

Honestly, I can understand the strong disagreement when I say so, but in my mind, Anchorman is without a doubt one of the finest comedic films ever created. It is, much like Mr. Burgundy himself, the balls.
drlowdonAug 12, 2013
In Anchorman first time director Adam McKay really makes the most of the fantastic talent at his disposal that includes the likes of Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and of course Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy in what must surely still be his mostIn Anchorman first time director Adam McKay really makes the most of the fantastic talent at his disposal that includes the likes of Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and of course Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy in what must surely still be his most memorable role to date. Never taking itself too seriously this is a movie that celebrates being ridiculously over the top yet always maintains a pinpoint sense of comic timing to keep the laughs coming.

A must see for fans of films like Austin Powers and The Hangover.
Jamison12Jun 30, 2013
I just don't know what to say. The first time I saw this, I didn't laugh. Then I watched it again, and I almost peed myself. This is arguably Ferrell's best film to date, no doubt a cult classic.
shpreaJun 28, 2013
There's no denying how funny this movie is. Just about every line is quotable due to how funny they are. In fact, there's a kid in my neighborhood who has, in fact, memorized just about every line in this movie. Every time he quotesThere's no denying how funny this movie is. Just about every line is quotable due to how funny they are. In fact, there's a kid in my neighborhood who has, in fact, memorized just about every line in this movie. Every time he quotes Anchorman, I still laugh. I'm super pumped for the sequel. Expand
Movie1997Apr 6, 2013
Will Ferrell and director Adam McKay teaming up was truly a brilliant. This movie really boosted Will Ferrell's career as a comedic actor. Not only that, but out of all his movies, this one is his biggest and most known role of his career.Will Ferrell and director Adam McKay teaming up was truly a brilliant. This movie really boosted Will Ferrell's career as a comedic actor. Not only that, but out of all his movies, this one is his biggest and most known role of his career. Anchorman was a hilarious slap-stick comedy. I do admit, it has stupid moments, but how can you resist the hilarious charm this movie has to offer. It also features an ensemble of funny actors like Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, David Koechner and Fred Wilard. But out of those actors, Steve Carell steals a bit of the show with his stupid charm. Overall, it's a hilarious screwball comedy done surprisingly right. Expand
TheQuietGamerJan 20, 2013
This is a very funny movie, one of Will Ferrell's best. It also has tons of other hollywood funny men as either main characters or a hilarious cameo. There's really not much else to say, as you can see by the score it's a great comedy andThis is a very funny movie, one of Will Ferrell's best. It also has tons of other hollywood funny men as either main characters or a hilarious cameo. There's really not much else to say, as you can see by the score it's a great comedy and one that I recommend. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
An unending tornado of irresistible hilarity, "Anchorman" represents the finest work Adam McKay and Will Ferrell have to offer.
YoursTrulyNov 9, 2012
I appreciate sophisticated humor as much as the next guy. I do think that such humor is often the best. But that doesn't mean that I don't love the s**t out of some silly nonsense every now and again.
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
Is there even an ounce of sense to it? No, none. But its downright hilarious and has a language of its own.