Angels & Demons

6.2

1. Nov 23, 2011
    Great movie, very entertaining with a thrilling story. Again same as Part 1 the "Da Vinci Code" pretty much setup story but...who cares. These are the movies you go to the cinema for.... I love such mystical thrillers of which you unfortunately nowadays can only find so few.....Watch it!
  2. ScottD
    Oct 9, 2009
    I enjoyed this film a lot, despite the length and extension of the action (I enjoyed this actually). I found the film very interesting, there was a fair share of action, but I liked the film more on the way it tells the story, and how interesting it was for me.
  3. Mar 16, 2011
    I liked that movie. It kept me watching, which is rare these days. I did not read the book, so I have no comparison to that. I was never bored, the action moved along, the acting was good, Rome was nice and authentic. If all movies made these days would have the same caliber, audiences around the world would be happier !
  4. JohnA
    May 15, 2009
    Angels and Demons re-affirm the past dealings of the church with a link to the future of religion. The twist towards the end was excellent. A "MUST' see movie.
  5. WiniB
    May 15, 2009
    No need to compare this movie, on it's own, it made 2 hours go buy quickly. It was however, predictable. I will see it again because on it's merit, it was entertaining and I believe you need to see it twice to see what you may have missed. There is always something.
  6. R.L
    May 24, 2009
    When I first heard they were making a film adaption of "Angels & Demons" I didn't know what to expect, sometimes these film adaptions of extremely popular books are not as good as the source material. But for once they did very well, Angels and Demons is prefect summer entertainment in every way imaginable. It's got loads of action, a great story and some very intellectual When I first heard they were making a film adaption of "Angels & Demons" I didn't know what to expect, sometimes these film adaptions of extremely popular books are not as good as the source material. But for once they did very well, Angels and Demons is prefect summer entertainment in every way imaginable. It's got loads of action, a great story and some very intellectual moments about the maters that go into electing a new pope, it also boast some very good acting on the part of the main and supporting cast, the first one it kind of lagged a little, but his one delivers an unprecedented amount of good out of the park fun. It gives you what you want and doesn't fail to show it. Tom Hanks( Minus his lame hair from the previous film.) delivers an awesome return performance as Robert Langdon, who has really jumped form lowly symbologist to superhero status all in two films. But to reach my point Angels & Demons is a film that won't let you down and will not disappoint fans of the books either, it's a perfect summer movie that when you walk into that theater, sit down and watch this film you'll be walking out smiling knowing that you got your money's worth. Expand
  7. RockyB
    Jun 8, 2009
    Best movie I've seend so far. Full of breath-cutting sceans and an ending which you won't expect unless you red the book.
  8. KarlS
    May 17, 2009
    It was a great movie.It shows the whole Chritian world what politics got into the religion and how corrupt it is.Hopefully will make them rethink and investigate Islam.
  9. ToddD
    May 17, 2009
    First off I liked the movie. Was it as good as the book? No, it was not. Though the pace was good it lacked the heart pounding, thrilling suspense of the novel. I finished A&D in a matter of days because I simply could not put it down. Did it convey the same sense of awe and wonder in the search for the "God Particle" as a Higgs Boson is known? No. Did it convey the existential crisis First off I liked the movie. Was it as good as the book? No, it was not. Though the pace was good it lacked the heart pounding, thrilling suspense of the novel. I finished A&D in a matter of days because I simply could not put it down. Did it convey the same sense of awe and wonder in the search for the "God Particle" as a Higgs Boson is known? No. Did it convey the existential crisis that the Large Hadron Collider poses? The spark of Creation in the hands of man? No it did not. A&D is a deep book. Posing huge questions. Do I trust that Director Ron Howard was aware and fully understood this? Yes I do. I believe Mr Howard has given us a smart, beautifully shot picture that is accessible to a wide audience. I thought Ewan McGregor was especially good in his role. Do I think that A&D the novel will get more reads as a result of the film and as such - those new readers are in for a big-time thrill! Its quiet amazing that the archaic rules of the Catholic Church (Conclave, it's Archives, etc.); great works of Master Artist; and real science are the making of a summer blockbuster. Hoo-ray for Dan Brown! Expand
  10. reedf
    May 18, 2009
    Just got back from the theater and despite a few unintentional laughs at the strained twists and a weakly predictable fourth act, the wife and I enjoyed this -- but much like the National Treasure films and the recent Indiana Jones,we felt like we should be there with our son, and that our son would still echo our sentiments that the grown-up-adventuring thing ran its course and ended Just got back from the theater and despite a few unintentional laughs at the strained twists and a weakly predictable fourth act, the wife and I enjoyed this -- but much like the National Treasure films and the recent Indiana Jones,we felt like we should be there with our son, and that our son would still echo our sentiments that the grown-up-adventuring thing ran its course and ended with Last Crusade. I give Ron Howard and Tom Hanks more breathing room than they may deserve, as criticism goes, and will be the first to say the movie is a pile of flaws, but I also feel it's worth watching while it's new. I would also rate the music higher than the script and the script higher than the editing -- and am officially no longer eager to see a movie written or adapted by Akiva Goldsman, bleaugh. Expand
  11. Sam
    May 28, 2009
    I really hate the way some people claim that because others like a popcorn movie they are idiots. At NO POINT does this film say something like: "this FICTIONAL story means that the Catholic Church is corrupt and evil". In fact, for anyone who paid even the slightest bit of attention, there is only one evil person from the church! There is not supposed to be sexual chemistry, and the I really hate the way some people claim that because others like a popcorn movie they are idiots. At NO POINT does this film say something like: "this FICTIONAL story means that the Catholic Church is corrupt and evil". In fact, for anyone who paid even the slightest bit of attention, there is only one evil person from the church! There is not supposed to be sexual chemistry, and the action/chase scenes were, to my mind, intriguing and tense, even for one who has read the book and knew the outcome. To correspond to one particular review which annoyed me: The villain does not interfere with the books or the archive chambers; had sole access to the pope and his medication leaving the cardinals and swiss guard no reason to suspect him either in person or on camera; and it is clearly stated that he trained in helicopters with the air force prior to his joining the church. There was NOTHING for the camera's to watch him for, as it was the assassin who did all the actual activities which, whilst extreme are all possible, save perhaps for the infiltration of CERN and the actual kidnapping of the preferriti, which I did find somewhat implausible. The villain's role was that of planning and, with someone who knew the EXACT proceedings of the election of a new pope, the ideas cannot have been too challenging. That said, a main plot hole for me in the film was how the villain found out about the illuminati and their secrets in the first place. I wanted to give this film an 8.5 for these flaws (and some moments of poor dialogue), but rounded up upon reading some of the more negative reviews, although some of the positive reviews (making people investigate Islam? Come off it Karl S that's ridiculous) also seem completely erroneous. Enjoy it as an action movie, at which it excels. Expand
  12. WilliamT
    Jun 5, 2009
    I don't know how or why, but I ended up enjoying this film very much. There's no outstanding reason.
  13. LuisG
    Jul 16, 2009
    Coming in with little notion of what the previous film was despite wide exposure ... angels and demons plays out as a international easter hunt full of clues and chases. Hanks is far more pausible . Ewan pitch perfect. Enough winks to remain grounded.
  14. TomfromEvanston
    May 15, 2009
    Damn good movie. A bit heavy-handed at times, a bit disjointed at times. Overall a great time. Acting was good, directing was capable, story was good. I think it helped that I had read the book and been to most of the locations in the movie (we actually chose Rome based on Dan Brown's book for a vacation). Good pace, exciting, gruesome at times. I liked it a lot.
  15. IremT
    May 15, 2009
    This movie was amazing. Not as good as the book, but so much better than The Da Vinci Code. The twists are brilliant (unlike in State of Play).
  16. GordonC
    May 15, 2009
    being the first book that got made last into a movie, Angels & Demons is the better of the two books, I hope the movie dose it justice, oh and one more thing, if your going to be a Critic you must learn to read first, or at least know what you are talking about
  17. TinaW
    May 15, 2009
    I love ALL Dan Brown's books. I thoroghly enjoyed the story line. A bit condensced for time and varied to keep the audience engaged. I love moives and this was interesting, brought out a little known legend, made fodder for others to grasp and possibly take off on. Like DVC It really makes you want to read the book (if you haven't already). I hope that a good Director that is I love ALL Dan Brown's books. I thoroghly enjoyed the story line. A bit condensced for time and varied to keep the audience engaged. I love moives and this was interesting, brought out a little known legend, made fodder for others to grasp and possibly take off on. Like DVC It really makes you want to read the book (if you haven't already). I hope that a good Director that is into FX will grasp Deception Point and make a HIT out of that book. Done well, I would buy it for gifts as well as for my Dan Brown Collection. An entertaining movie even at the midnight showing. Expand
  18. ChazzR
    May 15, 2009
    The movie doesn't entertain profoundly - nor does it profoundly entertain. It takes a lot of work to turn a Dan Brown novel into a movie. I don't think the various and myriad would-be movie critiques have gotten over their superficial preconceived notions about Ron Howard's directing ability or Dan Browns story telling, and therefore, haven't given this movie it's The movie doesn't entertain profoundly - nor does it profoundly entertain. It takes a lot of work to turn a Dan Brown novel into a movie. I don't think the various and myriad would-be movie critiques have gotten over their superficial preconceived notions about Ron Howard's directing ability or Dan Browns story telling, and therefore, haven't given this movie it's due. The movie does tell a story... and an underlying truth. Whether or not we choose to recognize it, is of course, up to us. In that, lies it's redeeming value. I thought it was a good movie and I recommend it... and when it comes out on DVD, I'm going to buy it. Expand
  19. MickH
    May 15, 2009
    Fast entertaining, beautiful to look at. A very good summer popcorn movie.
  20. LizC
    May 15, 2009
    I went to see this movie at midnight on Friday morning. I didn't think I would stay awake but with all the action and suspense, I didn't have a problem keeping my eyes open. BEST movie I have seen in a while.
  21. AlexB
    May 16, 2009
    After having read the book, I was throughly pleased. Except for the wishy-washy ending, the movie is a fantastic adaptation. What people who read the book and gave bad reviews fail to realize that this is DIFFERENT from the book. It is an ADAPTATION, and a spectacular one at that. If you enjoy being entertained and enjoy good film-making, go see Angels and Demons.
  22. Jp
    May 16, 2009
    Being that it's really hard to make a book, a good book, into a good movie, ron howard did a great job with what he could. Not going to lie, better than Da Vinci Code, and though a little different in some aspects from the book, it still kept me at the edge of my seat.
  23. LesterO
    Very entertaining!
  24. KennyR
    May 17, 2009
    really more like a 6.5. For someone who has not read the book, I can understand the liking of the movie, especially given its fast pace, action, and plot. However, the movie does not do teh book justice. In order to keep the movie in a conceivable time frame, Howard clearly decided to omit certain details that are certainly important. His omition of things such as the camerlengo's really more like a 6.5. For someone who has not read the book, I can understand the liking of the movie, especially given its fast pace, action, and plot. However, the movie does not do teh book justice. In order to keep the movie in a conceivable time frame, Howard clearly decided to omit certain details that are certainly important. His omition of things such as the camerlengo's past, and certain characters (head of CERN cough cough) greatly decrease the movie, but overall a good attempt and I acknowledge the impossible task that Howard was faced with when asked to turn this into a 2 and a half hour movie. Overall, a job well done but read the book Expand
  25. LynnA
    May 17, 2009
    My partner & I have both read the book multiple times and were in Rome for nearly a week 2 yrs ago ... we both LOVED this movie. It's not identical to the book but all books get parts cut when made into movies. We thought the plot held together well & the characters were generally very well developed. Did the writer of Metacritic's description see the same movie we did? I My partner & I have both read the book multiple times and were in Rome for nearly a week 2 yrs ago ... we both LOVED this movie. It's not identical to the book but all books get parts cut when made into movies. We thought the plot held together well & the characters were generally very well developed. Did the writer of Metacritic's description see the same movie we did? I don't think so; this summary was so far off of the plot you really should have somebody different take another stab at it. Expand
  26. DanaM
    May 19, 2009
    Really enjoyed this movie. Twisting and turning at high speed, this movie keeps your attention. I really don't care that thie plot follows history. It was great entertainment and worth my ten bucks.
  27. davidm
    May 19, 2009
    Okay, so the movie is more like a 6 but it gets an extra point because it was entertaining. Considering the movie was based on the book, it is a touch out there and unrealistic, but come on guys, there are movie out there about Killer Cell phones. The A List cast was great, the movie overall was a bit predictable. I would still recommend people go watch it. I would say it was worth Okay, so the movie is more like a 6 but it gets an extra point because it was entertaining. Considering the movie was based on the book, it is a touch out there and unrealistic, but come on guys, there are movie out there about Killer Cell phones. The A List cast was great, the movie overall was a bit predictable. I would still recommend people go watch it. I would say it was worth spending the money on it. Expand
  28. AmandaD
    May 22, 2009
    Awesome movie! Keeps your attention throughout the whole movie. As good as National Treasure.
  29. DanielG
    May 26, 2009
    Better than the davinci code in terms of Langdon's intelectual potential. Even if it mentions a lot of fictional events, it touches reality in a sutil way.
  30. dane
    May 28, 2009
    My favourite movie of the past few years. Fast paced with interesting history, many brutal yet beautiful scenes that will stay with you for a while after you leave the theatre. The soundtrack is just perfect. Top marks.
  31. JoseG
    Jun 12, 2009
    OK, Ok, I admit it, I haven't read the book... yet... but, book aside, I think was a OK action movie... the script was so so... also the acting, but I have no regrets of watching this movie... maybe I change my point of view when I finally get the book.
  32. BrentP.
    Jun 16, 2009
    Not terribly entertaining, but an interesting story. I read the book and loved it. The movie is a descent translation, but not a substitute by any stretch of the imagination. Read the book, then go see the movie.
  33. FataM
    May 15, 2009
    I thought it was very deftly done--never flagged, stayed true to the book. I found it enormously entertaining!
  34. ChristopherG
    May 15, 2009
    A very good adaptation of the book, but with some changes which led to the credibility of the story, and makes Robert Langdon a better ally to the church, rather than a perceived enemy
  35. SusanC
    May 16, 2009
    I loved this movie as well as the first one. I had no idea that the movie was as long as it was because I was lost in it. The cinematography was great. The tension and pace were excellent. I still like the first one better.
  36. TDKinDallas
    May 17, 2009
    An entertaining night at the movies. I was wondering what they were going to do with some of the wildly unbelievable stuff from the book. They just left it out. Bravo. Nothing special, sort of a procedural, worth a watch.
  37. ChrisC
    Jul 24, 2009
    Surprisingly good, much better than the DaVinci code movie IMO. Flowed pretty well.
  38. MarkF.
    Nov 17, 2009
    A genuinly enjoyable thriller. Fast paced, an intelligent plot, and amazing production values. A little disappointed with how loosely adapted this film was from the Dan Brown novel, but Ron Howard at least pulls some twists of his own to allow the story to keep flowing. A brilliant movie.
  39. Nov 19, 2011
    The acting was good and it is suspensful and keeps you interested through out. Was no where near as good as the previous film was and I was actually a bit disapointed with it because it abandond the puzzles (which made the first film so good) and had far too much violence.
  40. Jan 18, 2011
    Much better than The Da Vinci Code but the subject matter (symbolism and the likeness) is a very hard sell going from book to the big screen. At times Tom Hanks having to explain things felt so out of place, yet it was necessary to keep the plot moving. Angels and Demons might have been ranked a bit higher for me but I was unfortunate (or fortunate depending on how you look at it) and readMuch better than The Da Vinci Code but the subject matter (symbolism and the likeness) is a very hard sell going from book to the big screen. At times Tom Hanks having to explain things felt so out of place, yet it was necessary to keep the plot moving. Angels and Demons might have been ranked a bit higher for me but I was unfortunate (or fortunate depending on how you look at it) and read the book before seeing the movie and as the movie strayed so far from the book I became a bit annoyed thus making my viewing experience not as enjoyable. But if you haven't read the book by all means watch the movie as it will give you a heck of a good thrill ride with some extremely disturbing visuals. Expand
  41. May 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Angels and Demons is the sequel to 'The DaVinci Code' both based on the novels by Dan Brown. Angels and Demons is the first in the novel series but second in the movies and tells a fast paced story about a bomb threat that could potentially wipe out Vatican City. Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) is a representative from Vatican City and is asked to help find the bomb hidden somewhere in the Vatican.

On top of the general bomb scare, the pope has died two weeks previous and now conclave (where the college of cardinals vote in the next pope) is about to begin. Then to add even further to the plot, the preferiti (those most likely to be voted as the next pope) have been kidnapped by the same people who planted the bomb, the Illuminati.

Angels & Demons brings you on a fast paced story, which leads you all around the fabulous city of Rome. Not only do you get an amazingly gripping plot, but you also get a history lesson from the brilliant minded, Robert Langdon. You get a sense of history of the Catholic Church in Rome after you see church after church whilst following clues that lead Langdon to the kidnapped cardinals and eventually to the bomb. The movie shows some brilliant acting throughout, whilst running from church to church the actors essentially have to 'walk the walk' and 'talk the talk', especially Hanks who informs you of facts that you might not have known about Rome and the Catholic Church.

In general, a very interesting movie and very attention grabbing. No matter what age you are (once you can grasp the concept and are remotely interested in religious history) you can enjoy this movie. Sadly though Angels & Demons was not received in the box office as well as The DaVinci Code was, but it is still a good movie.

Positives: Fascinating and attention grabbing plot with great acting all round.

Negatives: Doesn't live up to the hype of it's predecessor. Nowhere as good as the novel. I give it a 8/10.
  42. May 18, 2011
    "Robert Langdon" (Tom Hanks) is back, and he has only a few hours to solve a mystery to save thousands of Catholic faithful, and top candidates for role of pope, before an incident which will kill them all as they await the annoucement of who the new leader of the church will be.

Now, "Langdon", along with a woman who helped create antimatter in a lab, must figure out the clues and save the faithful of the world's largest church.

Let me say first that this is much better than the original movie, which I barely remember seeing. You really don't need to read the novel that the movie is based upon to enjoy it.

There are some really good performances in this film, especially from Hanks, who proved himself as a solid leading man many times. Here, he really shines as a leading man.

There is some serious problems with character development with supporting characters, especially "Dr. Vittoria Vetra" (Ayelet Zurer), whose antimatter is being used as a weapon, and "Camerlengo Patrick McKenna" (Ewan McGregor), who turns an interesting plot twist that I never expected at the end, but isn't seen as much as I would like.

Another problem with this movie is that it is obvious that they opted for green screen for many scenes depicting Roman Catholic churches within Rome's city limits (the church refused to allow the movie to be filmed at the locations since the church declared the book offesive to the church). A barely trained eye (which I have since I learned TV production back in high school) could see the actors were in front of a green screen. These effects will become noticeable to the untrained eye as the film ages, and special effects advance.

One thing this movie does pretty well is that it gives very little time for the audience to breathe between action and plot advancing scenes. You get excited as "Langdon" and "Vetra" get closer to the murderer(s) as they discover new clues.

Despite not being able to shoot on location, and the threat of a strike at the time, Ron Howard did a great job in the director's chair as usual. He was able to use interesting camera angles to help tell the story nicely.

I can't really say I noticed the soundtrack of the movie, since I barely pay attention to instrumentals since that's not my style I listen to. I do notice that it helped the scenes, and in this movie it did.

If you see this on any of the movie channels like HBO, or on Netflix, check this one out.
  43. Feb 23, 2013
    Angels Demons is the sequel to the Da Vinci Code, and while it's generally said that Da Vinci Code was better, I disagree. When Da Vinci Code came out, I had just seen National Treasure, and there were so many similarities, that I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. Angels Demons does what every sequel aspires to do. It takes the characters we like and puts them in a similar butAngels Demons is the sequel to the Da Vinci Code, and while it's generally said that Da Vinci Code was better, I disagree. When Da Vinci Code came out, I had just seen National Treasure, and there were so many similarities, that I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. Angels Demons does what every sequel aspires to do. It takes the characters we like and puts them in a similar but different story. Tom Hanks is once again terrific, bringing an intensity that few others can match. Following the clues lost in time and the twists and turns thrown in by writer, Dan Brown, Angels Demons is most defiantly a sequel that lives up to the first one and also gives you something to talk about. What else could you ask for? Expand
  44. Aug 30, 2013
    Very entertaining and suspenseful!! Ron Howard is a very good director. Watch this movie!! It's obviously very underrated but do not listen to the critics and enjoy it!!
  45. Dec 29, 2013
    The movie Angels & Demons pales in comparison to its novel but is nonetheless thrilling, exciting and more compelling than its film predecessor. 7.6/10

1. Reviewed by: Deborah Young
    Plucking the same violent, occult strings as "Da Vinci" while avoiding its leadenness, Angels keeps the action coming for the best part of 139 minutes.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Less turgid and aggravating than its predecessor, this cleverly produced melodrama remains hamstrung by novelist's Dan Brown's laborious connect-the-dots plotting and the filmmakers' prosaic literal-mindedness in the face of ripe historical antagonisms, mystery and intrigue.
  3. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    More entertaining than "The Da Vinci Code," but still tosh.