Anger Management

8.6

1. Aug 19, 2010
    Man gets into a "situation", wrongly accused of assault, goes on Anger Management course with wacky Doctor.
    Average comedy with Adam Sandler & Jack Nicholson on autopilot through most of the film. Lots of good cameos though & probably the funniest cat ever on film.
  2. Nov 18, 2011
    Adam Sandler has had funnier movies, but this one does have some good moments. It doesn't draw a line at the ridiculousness, but that is what helps it be a mediocre comedy.
  3. Aug 31, 2014
    A richly funny premise that suffers what every other Adam Sandler movie does: Adam Sandler. Jack Nicholson and his antics are hilarious and great fun.
  4. Nov 7, 2012
    It has its moments, but the script doesn't go as far as it should.
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    It's pretty funny throughout, but some of the film's unnecessary twists and turns seem to bog down the value of everything you're watching.
  6. Jun 16, 2014
    Anger Management: 6/10: Having a bad ending has torpedoed more than one film experience. The Village's twist was a groaner and the last scene of the Last Samurai knocked it down a rung or two. But in a comedy?

Comedy is about laughter during the journey not the stories conclusion. None of our best comedies are known for their finales. Meet the Parents left with a comparative whimper, There's Something about Mary's ending is at best forgettable, and the bombastic over the top noise of say The Blues Brothers or Caddyshack certainly wasn't for everyone. (The exception to this rule is the wonderful Stay Puff marshmallow man payoff from Ghostbusters)

Unlike thrillers or drama, comedy rarely invests enough in the plot to begin with for the ending to matter all that much. And an Adam Sandler comedy, lets face it, has less plot than most. (Or at the very least the same plot and characters over and over again. Sandler after all is the Jim Varney of Long Island nerds.) So to create a disaster this momentous you first need a good hour and change of comedy (rare enough esp. with Mr. Sandler on board) then you need an ending so stupendously bad it erases the laughter.

Welcome to Anger Management. First the good news. This movie has some quite funny bits. The bad news well lets start with the last 15 minutes or so absolutely feel good romantic awfulness with enough celebrity cameos that could sink the Titanic, wipe out any goodwill one feels towards former Mayor Giulliani of New York and embarrass one to be a Yankee fan. Add on a plot device at the end that wouldn't be out of place in a Deanna Durbin film and let the jaw dropping awfulness commence.

The last 15 minutes aside this movie has some really funny bits. Even stupid stuff like sweaters for overweight cats worked for me. Now that's rare. The set-up is pure gold and the cast is great.

If anything Sandler is easily theweakest of the bunch. (Luis Guzman and John Turturro's characters needed their own movie and it was great seeing Jack be Jack again after that slog that was About Schmidt. Sandler knows how to do cruel. Anger Management was such a good concept and had such funny execution that it demanded a dark cruel outburst of energy at the end not this indescribably painful schmaltz.
  7. SHIRLEYL.
    Apr 14, 2003
    I was very disapointed. With the two stars you should be able to expect more! The ending is an insult it is like a nasty trick. Almost as bad as "it was all just a dream." Does Sandler never get tired of the "little penis" jokes?
  8. ScottM.
    May 9, 2003
    This movie obviously ran out of humour somewhere with all the repetitive penis jokes. But the film is a good comedy for those of you who are different.
  9. SaerA.
    Aug 9, 2004
    The movie made me laugh at a few scenes but Adam Sandler is doing the same thing over and over. All of his movies are the same.
  10. MarcK.
    Nov 4, 2003
    I had very low expectations, but it turned out better than I thought. However, the "twist" at the ending made me like the movie considerably less...they just should have left it the way it was. Interestingly, I thought the deleted scenes that were shown in the DVD were a lot better than many of the scenes that actually made the final cut.
  11. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    I enjoyed this show a few months back. Can't remember a thing about it now. Truly middle of the pack.
  12. Mikem.
    Apr 21, 2003
    I am not an Adam Sandler fan and it is the usual Sandler performance. The make or break point is your view of what Jack's character does to keep the plot moving.Some people in the theater were laughing out loud, while others were walking out. The jokes thread the line between acceptable and plain absurd. if you can take jokes that push the limit you should like this movie. When will I am not an Adam Sandler fan and it is the usual Sandler performance. The make or break point is your view of what Jack's character does to keep the plot moving.Some people in the theater were laughing out loud, while others were walking out. The jokes thread the line between acceptable and plain absurd. if you can take jokes that push the limit you should like this movie. When will Adam Sandler grow up and play a different role? All his characters are pretty much the same and the movies seem to get worse. If not for Jack Nicholson I would have walked out, not in spite of the character. Expand
  13. JohnY.
    Apr 26, 2003
    I admit this is not my type of comedy. I don?t laugh when someone fights a monk or simply because a film contains numerous celebrities. And I definitely don?t welcome such a contrived story -- when a nice guy?s life is ruined for the sake of elementary comedy and then explained away with artificial cleverness.
  14. RobertC.
    Mar 16, 2004
    With a duo of Sandler and Nicholson, the hype-machine in far-blast, and commercials alone that made you crack up...it sounded like the return of the Comedic Duo, right? Sadly...no, but it does have some laughs.
  15. ChadS.
    May 21, 2003
    Once you establish plausibility, anything can be funny; penis jokes, beating up a monk, you name it. But we never believe Nicholson's character could be an actual doctor. You need that root in reality for comedy to truly work. Guzman and Turturro's might've been funny if you believed in the encounter group. It's a lousy screenplay, and that's a shame, because the Once you establish plausibility, anything can be funny; penis jokes, beating up a monk, you name it. But we never believe Nicholson's character could be an actual doctor. You need that root in reality for comedy to truly work. Guzman and Turturro's might've been funny if you believed in the encounter group. It's a lousy screenplay, and that's a shame, because the chemistry between Sandler and Nicholson isn't half-bad. With less concessions to Sandler's core audience, "Anger Management" could've gone in a darker direction instead of pulling that sunny reversal at Yankee Stadium. Expand
  16. Jeremy
    Sep 29, 2003
    Although I haven't been a fan of more than a handful of Sandler's offering, the teaming of him and Jack Nicholson should provide more than 5 minutes of laughs before a venture into safe, sitcom territory.

1. What's most astonishing is that a film populated by two madmen can grow so wearying and dull; the movie crawls toward its climax, which is so barmy it's almost surreal.
  2. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    Anger Management is bearable up to its protracted climax, set in Yankee Stadium, which gets my vote for the most excruciating wind-up of any comedy, ever.
    Anger Management is so almost-but-not-quite funny that it feels like one colossal gyp.