7.7

1. Jul 19, 2015
    Heard a lot about the film when it came out. The thing is much of the script is great, the acting is great, the general plot is great... This movie was ruined by the slapstick comedy, since it was so serious at some points, I would of just rather had a more serious movie. I genuinely felt sad for the main character. I'm sure a lot of homophobes are scared of trans women, but really, theHeard a lot about the film when it came out. The thing is much of the script is great, the acting is great, the general plot is great... This movie was ruined by the slapstick comedy, since it was so serious at some points, I would of just rather had a more serious movie. I genuinely felt sad for the main character. I'm sure a lot of homophobes are scared of trans women, but really, the old "oh hey, I'm a girl... NOT" thing isn't funny, if anything it's disturbing and downright tasteless. A few scenes were incredibly rushed and its glaringly obvious. Expand
  2. Aug 31, 2014
    A richly funny premise that suffers what every other Adam Sandler movie does: Adam Sandler. Jack Nicholson and his antics are hilarious and great fun.
  3. Jun 28, 2014
    Finally we may watch a decent movie starring Adam Sandler. The strong dynamic between him and Jack Nicholson successfully makes up for the film's largely dull plot and lack of ideas to move on, but again, as i just said, this is a DECENT movie that you may enjoy from Adam Sandler's collection of Razzle-Winning flicks.
  4. Jun 16, 2014
    Anger Management: 6/10: Having a bad ending has torpedoed more than one film experience. The Village's twist was a groaner and the last scene of the Last Samurai knocked it down a rung or two. But in a comedy?

Comedy is about laughter during the journey not the stories conclusion. None of our best comedies are known for their finales. Meet the Parents left with a comparative whimper, There's Something about Mary's ending is at best forgettable, and the bombastic over the top noise of say The Blues Brothers or Caddyshack certainly wasn't for everyone. (The exception to this rule is the wonderful Stay Puff marshmallow man payoff from Ghostbusters)

Unlike thrillers or drama, comedy rarely invests enough in the plot to begin with for the ending to matter all that much. And an Adam Sandler comedy, lets face it, has less plot than most. (Or at the very least the same plot and characters over and over again. Sandler after all is the Jim Varney of Long Island nerds.) So to create a disaster this momentous you first need a good hour and change of comedy (rare enough esp. with Mr. Sandler on board) then you need an ending so stupendously bad it erases the laughter.

Welcome to Anger Management. First the good news. This movie has some quite funny bits. The bad news well lets start with the last 15 minutes or so absolutely feel good romantic awfulness with enough celebrity cameos that could sink the Titanic, wipe out any goodwill one feels towards former Mayor Giulliani of New York and embarrass one to be a Yankee fan. Add on a plot device at the end that wouldn't be out of place in a Deanna Durbin film and let the jaw dropping awfulness commence.

The last 15 minutes aside this movie has some really funny bits. Even stupid stuff like sweaters for overweight cats worked for me. Now that's rare. The set-up is pure gold and the cast is great.

If anything Sandler is easily theweakest of the bunch. (Luis Guzman and John Turturro's characters needed their own movie and it was great seeing Jack be Jack again after that slog that was About Schmidt. Sandler knows how to do cruel. Anger Management was such a good concept and had such funny execution that it demanded a dark cruel outburst of energy at the end not this indescribably painful schmaltz.
  5. Mar 1, 2014
    Nicholson and Sandler make for a good team in this hilarious comedy. However it's Nicholson who steals the show. Sander's just... well Adam Sandler.
  6. Jun 28, 2013
    It has been a very, very long time since Adam Sandler was funny, if he ever was, but this is one of the first Adam Sandler comedies to realize this and understand how to use that fact to its advantage. By casting him as the clueless mild-mannered straight man and filling the rest of the movie out with genuine comedic talent in strong comedic roles spearheaded by Jack Nicholson we get toIt has been a very, very long time since Adam Sandler was funny, if he ever was, but this is one of the first Adam Sandler comedies to realize this and understand how to use that fact to its advantage. By casting him as the clueless mild-mannered straight man and filling the rest of the movie out with genuine comedic talent in strong comedic roles spearheaded by Jack Nicholson we get to see something hilarious: Adam Sandler suffering at the hands of far more talented actors. The greatest Adam Sandler comedy ever is a Jack Nicholson comedy. Who knew? A solid addition to any comedic library. Expand
  7. Jun 20, 2013
    I give this movie an 8 because it is a great movie that manages to make you laugh a lot. It is very funny and enjoyable, to say the least. Just when you think something will happen, something else happens. The monk part was very funny, and so was the jealous/dating scene. Nicholson made a great Anger Management supervisor, and the end was VERY surprising. You should see this movie, even ifI give this movie an 8 because it is a great movie that manages to make you laugh a lot. It is very funny and enjoyable, to say the least. Just when you think something will happen, something else happens. The monk part was very funny, and so was the jealous/dating scene. Nicholson made a great Anger Management supervisor, and the end was VERY surprising. You should see this movie, even if it has a 6. Expand
  8. Mar 11, 2013
    The worst movie I have seen. And Adam Sandler is still out there somewhere with yet another idea in his head that's ready to spit on the faces of moviegoers.
  9. Jan 1, 2013
    It's a hilarious comedy. My family and I watched it quite a few times and we laughed from start to finish. It's simply an enjoyable comedy, Not much more I can say about it.
  10. Nov 28, 2012
    It's pretty funny throughout, but some of the film's unnecessary twists and turns seem to bog down the value of everything you're watching.
  11. Nov 7, 2012
    It has its moments, but the script doesn't go as far as it should.
  12. Jul 5, 2012
    I loved this film. Adam Sandler is awesome (I am from NH so might be bias) but I will admit some of his films lagged a little. This movie though, unlike some others (ex. funny people, click) continued a strong, funny, good story all the way till the end. Nice little twist, good acting, and good story.
  13. Dec 31, 2011
    It was a funny film. It did fade quite a bit in the last 1/3 of the film but the parts before that were funny and made the film well worth watching. I enjoyed it.
  14. Dec 12, 2011
    A fantastic comedy with heart, all the characters acting are great, and it's just hilarious all the way through, if you a fan of Adam Sandler's other movies or just enjoy comedies then this is a must watch.
  15. Nov 18, 2011
    Adam Sandler has had funnier movies, but this one does have some good moments. It doesn't draw a line at the ridiculousness, but that is what helps it be a mediocre comedy.
  16. Oct 16, 2011
    I see no reason why a film like this shouldn't receive such brilliant reviews. When I watched it, I thought it was hilarious - I could never imagine Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson as such a pairing. The antics that both of them get up to could knock me off my feet any time. I wouldn't say that this movie was peppered with just jokes about private parts, because it wasn't. This film had aI see no reason why a film like this shouldn't receive such brilliant reviews. When I watched it, I thought it was hilarious - I could never imagine Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson as such a pairing. The antics that both of them get up to could knock me off my feet any time. I wouldn't say that this movie was peppered with just jokes about private parts, because it wasn't. This film had a deeper meaning than that, especially as it was one man's unexpected journey to find himself. Although that sounds a bit weird, it's true, but the fact it psychologically meaningful and still manages to pull off the most hilarious jokes, it's one of the best films of its kind. Expand
  17. Jan 7, 2011
    A nice built story. Great team Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson. The jokes were funny enough. The theme 'i feel pretty' and the line 'goos-fra-ba' give a specific mark to this movie.
  18. Aug 19, 2010
    Man gets into a "situation", wrongly accused of assault, goes on Anger Management course with wacky Doctor.
    Average comedy with Adam Sandler & Jack Nicholson on autopilot through most of the film. Lots of good cameos though & probably the funniest cat ever on film.
  19. NigeM.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Absolute drivel. Not often i actually get angry watching a 'comedy', but this was insulting. Unbelievably bad. Jack comes across a sad parody of himself whil Sandler is exactly the same as in all his other films. I.E. the funny bit is where he loses his temper. Yaaawwwwn!
  20. SaraB.
    Apr 1, 2006
    ;-(..The film ran out of gas 1/4 the way through... Great cast as Jack Nicholson can be stunning as an oddball character, but Sandler just let him down, to held back, and the 'anger-allies' went nowhere ? Not enuff interaction with Marissa Tomei, and the Court Judge was unrealistic, also some jokes were actually sad, like the 'Olivier Newton-john bit, are the referring to ;-(..The film ran out of gas 1/4 the way through... Great cast as Jack Nicholson can be stunning as an oddball character, but Sandler just let him down, to held back, and the 'anger-allies' went nowhere ? Not enuff interaction with Marissa Tomei, and the Court Judge was unrealistic, also some jokes were actually sad, like the 'Olivier Newton-john bit, are the referring to the singer, very inappropriate! Also, on the plane, the "this country is going through troubled times', really weird, to say that in 2003?? too serious also, sandler was a wimp. Overall, not many laughs and the far fetched...each character were a little much, and sandler was shy, TOO shy! Marissa Tomei was as always cute, but she Expand
  21. JonD.
    Mar 9, 2006
    This is funny at points but i hate critics. Happy gilmore gets a terrible review but this gets an ok review Happy Gilmore is a Classic and this is just funny.
  22. SaerA.
    Aug 9, 2004
    The movie made me laugh at a few scenes but Adam Sandler is doing the same thing over and over. All of his movies are the same.
  23. KevinM.
    Mar 17, 2004
    Suprisingly funny and enjoyable.
  24. RobertC.
    Mar 16, 2004
    With a duo of Sandler and Nicholson, the hype-machine in far-blast, and commercials alone that made you crack up...it sounded like the return of the Comedic Duo, right? Sadly...no, but it does have some laughs.
  25. ChristopherS.
    Feb 26, 2004
    Anger Management is really a true masterpiece. Adam sandler makes this movie enjoyable and funny. I reccomend that you see this amazing film!
  26. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    I enjoyed this show a few months back. Can't remember a thing about it now. Truly middle of the pack.
  27. HalW.
    Nov 16, 2003
    This movie could have been better, at times it seemed too drawn out. I really expected it to be much better just because of its cast.
  28. MarcK.
    Nov 4, 2003
    I had very low expectations, but it turned out better than I thought. However, the "twist" at the ending made me like the movie considerably less...they just should have left it the way it was. Interestingly, I thought the deleted scenes that were shown in the DVD were a lot better than many of the scenes that actually made the final cut.
  29. JoeA.
    Oct 25, 2003
    Promising promos and good cast set ups some high expectations. Unfortunately, not much was well written comedy ... just lame gags. Nicholson didn't work for me as the genius doctor.
  30. RonaldS.
    Oct 16, 2003
    This movie is a movie of a life time this is 2 superstars with 2 X funny in it it is a great movie for a family night.
  31. Jeremy
    Sep 29, 2003
    Although I haven't been a fan of more than a handful of Sandler's offering, the teaming of him and Jack Nicholson should provide more than 5 minutes of laughs before a venture into safe, sitcom territory.
  32. PhilF.
    Jun 7, 2003
    The movie makes some obscene jokes about people who are buddist and I don't think that it was appropiate. It is somewhat funny but not that funny as most comedy movies are.
  33. DavidK.
    May 28, 2003
    Total waste of time. Why did they bother? No redeaming features whatsoever. I feel pretty? Not watching this I didn't.
  34. ChadS.
    May 21, 2003
    Once you establish plausibility, anything can be funny; penis jokes, beating up a monk, you name it. But we never believe Nicholson's character could be an actual doctor. You need that root in reality for comedy to truly work. Guzman and Turturro's might've been funny if you believed in the encounter group. It's a lousy screenplay, and that's a shame, because the Once you establish plausibility, anything can be funny; penis jokes, beating up a monk, you name it. But we never believe Nicholson's character could be an actual doctor. You need that root in reality for comedy to truly work. Guzman and Turturro's might've been funny if you believed in the encounter group. It's a lousy screenplay, and that's a shame, because the chemistry between Sandler and Nicholson isn't half-bad. With less concessions to Sandler's core audience, "Anger Management" could've gone in a darker direction instead of pulling that sunny reversal at Yankee Stadium. Expand
  35. DelroyT.
    May 20, 2003
    Hilariously funny. Paul if you think Adam's movies suck and they are all the same, why do you go see them? Perhaps you should have been in counseling with Adam for Anger Management. Now repeat after me...I feel pretty, I feel pretty.
  36. Paul
    May 13, 2003
    I'm sorry but this movies sucked. To be honest, all of Sandler's movies are the same and there's not one witty joke in any one of them. This one is no different. Penis jokes, beating up on monks. and a sappy ending totally massacre this movie. Man it feels like Sandler hasnt made a decent movie in a million years.
  37. JonathanD.
    May 13, 2003
    My sides hurt! This has to be, honestly, the funniest movie I have seen in my entire life. Repetitive penis jokes? What? I caught about 3. Nicholson and Sandler, as usual, are amazing, and together it's even better. Screw the critics, go see this movie immediately.
    May 11, 2003
    This movie is hilarious. I didn't think it would be that great, but I loved it.
  39. ScottM.
    May 9, 2003
    This movie obviously ran out of humour somewhere with all the repetitive penis jokes. But the film is a good comedy for those of you who are different.
  40. AmberP.
    May 6, 2003
    "I feel Pretty" pretty good that is about this flick. I laughed my A-- off out loud as did most of the others viewers in the theater. Those people who do not appreciate slapstick humor should not see this movie. Those who do will simply love Crazy Jack having fun with Loveable Adam. The movie is a scream and their pairing is fantastic. As for those of you who hated it, repeat after me, "I "I feel Pretty" pretty good that is about this flick. I laughed my A-- off out loud as did most of the others viewers in the theater. Those people who do not appreciate slapstick humor should not see this movie. Those who do will simply love Crazy Jack having fun with Loveable Adam. The movie is a scream and their pairing is fantastic. As for those of you who hated it, repeat after me, "I feel pretty." Now doesn't that make you feel better? Expand
  41. CoreyB
    May 1, 2003
    Cody what are you talking about? The audience I saw it with roared with laughter. The movie is not meant to be reality; just some good natured slapstick comedy. Obviously, this is not your cup of tea. By now everyone should know what Adam Sandler movies are like? Jack Nicholson had a ball playing Wacko Jacko. Their teaming was a scream.
  42. CodyA.
    Apr 30, 2003
    I'm sorry everyone, but this movie was not good. If you people really like penis jokes and utterly stupid slapstick humor (Ex. the monk scene), then fine, but even then, this movie was simply not good. I had yet to smile when the movie ended. Sandler is not funny. He just isn't. And what was with the beginning? Did that have anything to do with the movie? Absolutely not, unless I'm sorry everyone, but this movie was not good. If you people really like penis jokes and utterly stupid slapstick humor (Ex. the monk scene), then fine, but even then, this movie was simply not good. I had yet to smile when the movie ended. Sandler is not funny. He just isn't. And what was with the beginning? Did that have anything to do with the movie? Absolutely not, unless you'd like to think the movie had a real ending (which is doesn't, by the way). There is no humour in this movie. I almost felt bad for Nickolson, considering all of his films, and his acting, are great. Jack and Adam are NOT funny together. Nickolson seems out of place, and so do all of the secondary characters (that really don't need to be there). I kinda liked Sandler's previous movies. They were funny, but Anger Management is definitely not. Expand
  43. HerbieF.
    Apr 28, 2003
    John Y you took this so seriously. Now repeat after me: "I feel Pretty..." This was one funny movie with a tremendous supporting cast. This was not meant for a Rhodes Scholar.
  44. JohnY.
    Apr 26, 2003
    I admit this is not my type of comedy. I don?t laugh when someone fights a monk or simply because a film contains numerous celebrities. And I definitely don?t welcome such a contrived story -- when a nice guy?s life is ruined for the sake of elementary comedy and then explained away with artificial cleverness.
  45. MatthewA.
    Apr 26, 2003
    Unbelievably funny. The connection between Sandler and Nicholson was perfect for the film.
  46. DelvinD.
    Apr 24, 2003
    Hilarious as this is one funny movie. Jack and Adam are great together.
  47. ZachL.
    Apr 22, 2003
    Meat and Mike are probably the same person. My response to your BS is get a life. I don't know about anyone else, but the audience I saw this with laughed out loud as did I. Jack and Adam were a scream. As for the bridge scene, I have heard people walking around my office singing with a smile on their face, "I feel Pretty". This is one hysterical movie.
  48. Mikem.
    Apr 21, 2003
    I am not an Adam Sandler fan and it is the usual Sandler performance. The make or break point is your view of what Jack's character does to keep the plot moving.Some people in the theater were laughing out loud, while others were walking out. The jokes thread the line between acceptable and plain absurd. if you can take jokes that push the limit you should like this movie. When will I am not an Adam Sandler fan and it is the usual Sandler performance. The make or break point is your view of what Jack's character does to keep the plot moving.Some people in the theater were laughing out loud, while others were walking out. The jokes thread the line between acceptable and plain absurd. if you can take jokes that push the limit you should like this movie. When will Adam Sandler grow up and play a different role? All his characters are pretty much the same and the movies seem to get worse. If not for Jack Nicholson I would have walked out, not in spite of the character. Expand
  49. Meat
    Apr 21, 2003
    O' lord was this movie horrible! As someone already said, "Its a comedy with no jokes". The toilet dick jokes were not funny, Sandler singing on the bridge was NOT funny, and the fat cat gag was funny the first 5 times. After that, its NOT funny! And who are the knuckleheads who keep giving this movie a 10? Get a clue and see Old School which is a real comedy. UGH! And don't get O' lord was this movie horrible! As someone already said, "Its a comedy with no jokes". The toilet dick jokes were not funny, Sandler singing on the bridge was NOT funny, and the fat cat gag was funny the first 5 times. After that, its NOT funny! And who are the knuckleheads who keep giving this movie a 10? Get a clue and see Old School which is a real comedy. UGH! And don't get me started on the ending... They must've been hurtin' for ideas on that one-LAME. Plus, rooting for the Yankees is the biggest bandwagon audience kiss ass you could think of. I'm surprised Nicholson didn't talk them into staging the ending at a Lakers game. This was just bad all around. Expand
  50. MikeT.
    Apr 21, 2003
    I have never felt compelled to post a vote before, but I feel it is my duty to knock down the average a bit. Please don't spend any money on this movie. I feel guilty for encouraging such a luke-warm chicken broth half-hearted cash-in on low standards.
  51. Wendy
    Apr 20, 2003
    For those of you trying to analyze every little thing in this movie, please just relax. This is simply two great actors having fun with each other and tweaking the audience. They connect magnificently. If you want to have a good time and simply laugh out loud, then Anger Management is the ticket.
  52. CarolAnn
    Apr 18, 2003
    Absolutely loved it. I laughed so loud that it hurt. Just accept the film as Adam and Jack having some fun with themselves and the audience. The supporting cast was superb. Yes, the plot is silly and the end is predictable; but that does not detract from it being one funny funny film.
  53. Sean
    Apr 16, 2003
    This movie rocked it was really funny and even the New York jokes were funny. An all-around funny-good movie.
  54. TedL.
    Apr 15, 2003
    Simple plot, no hidden agenda's, with fantastic actors and supporting case make for one very funny movie. If you are looking to go to the movies to laugh then this is the ticket.
  55. JanetS.
    Apr 14, 2003
    Absolutely hilarious. What a difference from that horrible Punch Drunk Love and the boring About Schmidt. Now this is entertainment at its funniest.
  56. FranM.
    Apr 14, 2003
    I walked out of this movie after an hour. Maybe I missed all the laughs that came later, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I refuse longer sit through lame, almost funny movies just because I like the actors in it. This movie is just a waste of time.
  57. SHIRLEYL.
    Apr 14, 2003
    I was very disapointed. With the two stars you should be able to expect more! The ending is an insult it is like a nasty trick. Almost as bad as "it was all just a dream." Does Sandler never get tired of the "little penis" jokes?
  58. Zeke
    Apr 14, 2003
    Adam last made Punch Drunk Love, and Jack did About Schmidt. The professional critics raved, while the Metacritics (the real people who pay for tickets) bombed both flicks. Now the professionals give Anger Management a 50. Folks after seeing AM with a packed theater, I can tell you that this is one very hysterical movie. The audience laughs at loud. The supporting cast is sensational. My Adam last made Punch Drunk Love, and Jack did About Schmidt. The professional critics raved, while the Metacritics (the real people who pay for tickets) bombed both flicks. Now the professionals give Anger Management a 50. Folks after seeing AM with a packed theater, I can tell you that this is one very hysterical movie. The audience laughs at loud. The supporting cast is sensational. My guess is that Anger Management will do more in revenues that PDL and AS combined and then some. We will soon see who is right? If you feel like laughing go see it and enjoy. Expand
  59. LassiterP.
    Apr 14, 2003
    Thank God Adam rethought Punch Drunk Love? But this time, instead of making it so boring, he added wacko Jacko, and voila, instant insanity. This is one funny movie with the audience having as much fun as Jack and Adam had making it.
  60. RobertH.
    Apr 13, 2003
    I laughed so hard that I almost wet my pants at some of the scenes in Anger Management. Jack and Adam were sensational.
  61. EvelynP.
    Apr 13, 2003
    Jack & Adam, Adam & Jack were dropdead funny. I had a ball. I can't wait until they hook up again. It looked like the outtakes on the DVD are going to be a scream. This is one funny movie.
  62. Fantasy
    Apr 13, 2003
    I say the professional critics are all wrong. The audience I saw it with loved it. We laughed out loud. Now isn't that entertainment. As they say, the tale of the tape (box office receipts) will tell who is right? My guess is that word of mouth will like what was seen. Go see it and have fun.
  63. TomS.
    Apr 13, 2003
    Nicholson and Sandler pulled off the funniest comedy since "Meet the Parents" The film actually has an interesting plot that does have character development, but the climax of the film is rather dull and corny. But if you want a good movie that will make you laugh, Anger Management does the job.
  64. RompBomp
    Apr 13, 2003
    Pure crap. an enormous step backward after the brilliant "punch drunk love."
  65. AmberP
    Apr 12, 2003
    All you need to know is that the professional critics gave it a 49. The packed audience I watched it with howled out loud. Adam and Jack were hysterical, with a very talented supporting cast. If you are looking for a funny, feel good, escape film, Anger Management is the ticket.
  66. Matt
    Apr 12, 2003
    i mean who realy listenes to anyone from seattle? (read last critic rating)

1. What's most astonishing is that a film populated by two madmen can grow so wearying and dull; the movie crawls toward its climax, which is so barmy it's almost surreal.
  2. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    Anger Management is bearable up to its protracted climax, set in Yankee Stadium, which gets my vote for the most excruciating wind-up of any comedy, ever.
    Anger Management is so almost-but-not-quite funny that it feels like one colossal gyp.