Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: July 17, 2015
Generally favorable reviews based on 1613 Ratings
1,384
Watch Now
binioJul 17, 2015
Very good Marvel movie,i definitely had more fun watching it than watching Avengers Age of Ultron. Main character was a good one, the one that you could really sympathise with.Supporting characters were also good,especially Michael Douglas asVery good Marvel movie,i definitely had more fun watching it than watching Avengers Age of Ultron. Main character was a good one, the one that you could really sympathise with.Supporting characters were also good,especially Michael Douglas as Hank Pym.The final fight scene was fast paced and had some funny moments.Ultimately it's worth a watch :D Expand
RedeadhoodMar 28, 2016
Ant-Man is probably one of the only Marvel movies that I believe had the right tone. A man who can turn into an ant is seriously bonkers, but Marvel made it work. And I really did't mind the comedy this time around.
ripclawNov 22, 2015
I was honestly surprised about how much I liked this film and how utterly entertained I was. For me, it hit the perferct sweet spot of superhero action and comedy. This is not a serious, dark, fallen hero drama. This is purely entertainingI was honestly surprised about how much I liked this film and how utterly entertained I was. For me, it hit the perferct sweet spot of superhero action and comedy. This is not a serious, dark, fallen hero drama. This is purely entertaining cinema, but it is just so well done. Paul Rudd works very well as Ant Man, which again, surprised me. What really got me was how well they used editing and sound for comedic effect. The train derailment? The little "blub" sound in the pool? Had me laughing out loud. More please! Expand
NikolayGDec 30, 2015
This movie started strong but after a half or so, as the characters and personalities gave way to effects and fights, relentlessly, and as the novelty of seeing small objects like bathtub stoppers appear huge, and as the novelty of Ant ManThis movie started strong but after a half or so, as the characters and personalities gave way to effects and fights, relentlessly, and as the novelty of seeing small objects like bathtub stoppers appear huge, and as the novelty of Ant Man being normal size, shrinking, the suddenly becoming normal size again (giving the impression of constantly appearing and disappearing during fights) wore off, I lost interest. I'm not against action; I enjoyed Spectre and Force Awakens and other superhero movies such as Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 and the first Avengers movie, but there was nothing like the entertaining relationships of Avengers or Spider-Man in this film, and somehow the personal story (which revolved around Ant Man's desire to see his daughter, which his ex-wife wouldn't let him do because he hadn't paid child support which he had not been able to do because he'd just gotten out of prison) and its connection to the action wasn't convincing to me. It may have had to do with the lead not having adequate charisma or chemistry with anyone. It really just all came across to me as a bunch of noise. I think the musical score should have been a lot better too. It came across as generically bombastic. One bright spot was Michael Douglas, especially the way they made Michael Douglas in the first scene, which takes place in the past, appear so young. That was a fun bit that lasted a few minutes.

Overall a harmless movie for kids - not a shred of realistic violence; it's all pretty silly violence and no one gets killed - or bad language, and it's not a cynical movie either. But aside from being kid safe, I can't recommend it.
Paminico96Aug 6, 2015
Its fun, had good effects and they really made an incredible relationship between the ant-man and his environment. For me was a really nice surprise. But you have to know that it is a superheroes, comedy movie, is not an academy movie
RvwFromUpHereAug 8, 2015
Who: Paul Rudd, Kate from Lost, and that guy from the Wall Street movies

What: A statement from Marvel saying, "We can make any comic look super awesome no matter how lame it sounds." Where: The Marvel Cinematic Universe When (can I
Who: Paul Rudd, Kate from Lost, and that guy from the Wall Street movies

Where: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

When (can I watch again): 6 months before it's an enjoyable re watch

Why: This is an enjoyable flick for any Marvel fan, in order to keep up to date with this constantly fluctuating movie universe, you should definitely watch this film.
GameBoy57Feb 11, 2016
Ant-Man is a jawdropping experience for the mind blowing physical effects. The humor is hilarious and the actors too (in a good way). Various of emotions are highly present through the movie and the viewers mood quickly changes from sad toAnt-Man is a jawdropping experience for the mind blowing physical effects. The humor is hilarious and the actors too (in a good way). Various of emotions are highly present through the movie and the viewers mood quickly changes from sad to funny moments which is perfect put together and combined. The CGI is impressive and perfect balanced with reality. A must watch. Expand
YorkManFeb 10, 2016
Ant-Man is one of the Marvel comic universe's more obscure characters.... And there's a very good reason for that.
One of the biggest problems with Ant-Man, not just as a film, but as a character as a whole.... Is that his backstory, motives and development are things we've seen before. The annoying thing is that this is mainly down to the necessities of fitting the character into the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).

Unlike Captain America, where they took the comic's origin story and brought Cap' into the modern age via the 'frozen in ice for 70 years' idea, in Ant-Man they try to dispense with the original story altogether.

In this film, the 'Ant-Man' is effectively the second incarnation, the original being the 'old guy' scientist whose origin story would have been far more interesting. Instead we get a convoluted narrative that suggests a new 'Ant-Man' is needed to combat the machinations of the 'old guy' scientist's former assistant who is attempting to duplicate his miniaturisation processes.

What follows is a 30 minute training montage, involving more technology whose invention is never explained (i.e. the ability to control various species of ant), and then the 'surprise' discovery the young scientist is looking to sell miniaturisation tech to the army for profit, now he's worked out how to make things smaller....

Cue Ant-Man's heroic infiltration of the bad scientist's research facility, you know, the one bearing the name of the 'old guy' scientist who was ousted from the board etc. And the finale between Ant-Man and young scientist who has shrunk himself in his own combat suit.....

It's sooooooo predictable as to be patronising!

However, it's not all bad. Paul Rudd displays his usual comedic sensibilities as the 'hero', and Michael Douglas is also good as the 'old guy' scientist. Their interplay is very funny. Rudd's three criminal sidekicks are also good value, except that Michael Pena's Mexican Stereotype characterisations which do grate immensely very quickly!

Overall, it's a paint-by-numbers Superhero flick, but one that does benefit from a superior comic-interplay between the main characters.
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
“Ant-Man” is passable but could’ve been better. The humour, ‘heist’ aspect of the movie, and miniature-sized action scenes make it fun enough. The movie feels lively and cheery throughout, and I think this is one of the main reasons why it“Ant-Man” is passable but could’ve been better. The humour, ‘heist’ aspect of the movie, and miniature-sized action scenes make it fun enough. The movie feels lively and cheery throughout, and I think this is one of the main reasons why it works. The acting and story is average at best. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKE: Ant Man is quite simular in plot to the original 'Iron Man', but perhaps Marvel's funnest film yet. For a start, that action scene with Falcon is very exciting, and the size changing allows for some other incredible and freshWHAT I LIKE: Ant Man is quite simular in plot to the original 'Iron Man', but perhaps Marvel's funnest film yet. For a start, that action scene with Falcon is very exciting, and the size changing allows for some other incredible and fresh action scenes that really have you on the edge of your seat. As a film that could've easily felt out of place in Phase 2; 'Ant Man' fits in well thanks to Pym's past and hilarious references to the Avengers etc., plus the cast are all excellent (particularly Paul Rudd as Scott Lang and Michael Douglas as Hank Pym). So, 'Ant-Man' is once again something very new from Marvel that exceeded everyone's expctations, offering a fun, bitesize teaser after the spectacular 'Age of Ultron'
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The plot is very simple, which makes the film feel very short, plus it's not the most interesting film experience overall
VERDICT: Marvel does it again: pulling off something that nobody thought would work, 'Ant Man' is a gripping and fun heist film that exceeds everyone's expectations.
cjbJan 9, 2016
I have to say I was very impressed by this movie. I am a big fan of the marvel universe but I really had no desire to see this movie. I couldn't see how it would be good. But I am glad to say I was completely wrong. It is extremelyI have to say I was very impressed by this movie. I am a big fan of the marvel universe but I really had no desire to see this movie. I couldn't see how it would be good. But I am glad to say I was completely wrong. It is extremely entertaining, hilarious, the fight scenes are awesome, and the special effects are incredible. I highly recommend this movie. Easily one of my favorite Marvel movies to date. Plus, how the movie ties into the marvel cinematic universe and the two end credit scenes are awesome. Expand
jjb3Jan 22, 2016
THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME. It seems like it would be really lame but its not! It was surprisingly a great movie. The acting, jokes, action, and story were all great!
AaronWasserman1Mar 26, 2016
A very fun Marvel movie, but not a movie i feel I need to see again, and that is a common trend I seem to experience with Marvel movies, they are fun in a theater and I look forward to them, but in the end, they are silly popcorn movies.
ElectroNickMay 11, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Much like everyone else I was pretty doubtful about how this film would turn out. Even after the success of "Guardians of the Galaxy" I was expecting this film to bomb. Much to my surprise though it turned out to be a solid film. It is not groundbreaking as the other films but it is good at what it does. i was nervous about this film since Hank Pym had always been one of my least favorite heroes but they made the smart move of him being a mentor figure and having the spotlight be on Scott Lang. He is the typical reluctant hero with a criminal past and tries to redeem himself. He has a nice relationship with his daughter and has problems with his marriage due to his criminal past. The family is a big component of his character arc but there are still lasting consequences for his past. Even when he saves his daughter he still is divorced and is still living away from his daughter. The relationship he has with Hank is the the typical hero mentor relationship which reminds me of a similar relationship that Mr. Hun and Daniel from the Karate Kid remake had when the mentor learns from the student as well as the student learning from the mentor. His relationship with the future Wasp was also well done as they learn form each other as well as start to grow a fondness for the other. I am interested in seeing how Ant Man would fit into the Avengers and I would love to see Wasp enter the fray in the future battles ahead. The action scenes are fun to watch because they give creative elements to other wise standard action sequences. Unfortunately there are some problems that keeps this film from being only a good film to a great film. As well as the story line was told, it does rely heavily on cliches. The plot was well told and it did have some genuine surprises such as the time when Ant-Man shrunk so much that he was in another dimension which gives way to a visual spectacular visual set piece. Aside from that though the majority of the story line revolves around the standard tropes of a heist movie. As well developed as the main heroes are, the villain is once again bland. Marvel really needs more villains that stand out aside from Kingpin, Ultron, Loki, and Iron Monger. The side characters are really nothing more than stereotypes which includes a very problematic representation of Latinos in Lang's best friend. It is also strange that Wasp wasn't allowed to be part of the final battle even though it was heavily established that she was a better fighter than Lang. Although I still think this is a good film I did dislike that one aspect of it. It is a good film that could have been a great film if it wasn't tied down by it's reliance on cliches and stereotypes. Expand
Stargirl04May 15, 2016
I never pictured Paul Rudd as a superhero but I really enjoyed the film. I will never look at ants the same way again!! I have never seen anything about Ant-Man prior to this movie, so I don't know how accurate it is to the comics but I loveI never pictured Paul Rudd as a superhero but I really enjoyed the film. I will never look at ants the same way again!! I have never seen anything about Ant-Man prior to this movie, so I don't know how accurate it is to the comics but I love how eventually I am sure they will tie in all the characters together. Great Movie! Expand
preziJul 21, 2015
This is a solid movie no doubt .The visuals are perfect. No complaints about the special effects or the photography. The cast is also perfect. Michael Douglas does an awesome job as Dr. Hank Pym; Evangeline Lilly is really hot; and Paul RuddThis is a solid movie no doubt .The visuals are perfect. No complaints about the special effects or the photography. The cast is also perfect. Michael Douglas does an awesome job as Dr. Hank Pym; Evangeline Lilly is really hot; and Paul Rudd is Ant-Man, period! The weakness is in the script. It's uneven and spends too much time on Ant-Man's personal development and not enough on the villain, Darren Cross (Yellowjacket) played superbly by Corey Stoll. The movie does a poor job of expressing the urgency of preventing Cross from having Ant-Man's power. And because it spends so much time on Ant-Man's training, the movie starts to get tedious, albeit for a short time thank goodness.

Overall, I totally recommend this movie especially in 3D. I just wish the villain had been more developed so that I cared more about the climatic battle.
sumguitardudeJul 27, 2015
I was really not looking forward to seeing a movie called ant man. Even the name of it is so stupid its hard for me to take it seriously.

But The movie manged to surprised me inn a really good way! Its funny its well thought out, the

But The movie manged to surprised me inn a really good way!
Its funny its well thought out, the action is great and it also gives nods to the avengers movies.
If you have been like me and was worried this movie called ant man would be bad then reoice its one o the best marvel movies this year!

So dont wait any longer get to the theaters and watch this one!
grandpajoe6191Aug 14, 2015
"Ant-Man" definitely does not reach the heights of "The Avengers" or any other mainstream Marvel movie in terms of production value. However, as Ant Man himself had thoroughly proven, sometimes the smaller things are better; instead of more"Ant-Man" definitely does not reach the heights of "The Avengers" or any other mainstream Marvel movie in terms of production value. However, as Ant Man himself had thoroughly proven, sometimes the smaller things are better; instead of more explosions or action, a lot of effort looks to have been focused towards the script like "Guardians of The Galaxy", as the plot does have a well-balanced mix of humor, seriousness, and the heartwarming theme that is the importance of family. Truly an excellent Marvel superhero movie and, in someways, a great example that highlights what direction Marvel should take their stand-alone hero movies to. Expand
Bruce722Jul 23, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ant-Man was actually a really good movie, one of the better movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as of late. Paul Rudd was perfect for the role and the rest of the cast did marvelous (get it?). The movie took a little while to get going and it had one of the same drawbacks that the first Iron-Man had (where the villain can operate his suit with no practice whatsoever even though a large portion of the film is spent with the protagonist learning to control his "powers") but once it got going, the humor, action, and excitement was non-stop. Surprisingly, there was a fair amount of emotion as well, which helped connect the audience to the film. Overall, it's a must see for MCU fans and superhero fans in general but I think casual movie-goers will also appreciate it. Expand
xDaudexAug 5, 2015
Pros:
They use the main characters abilities in unique ways
The main character is likable

Cons:
The villain is extremely generic and not likable

All in all it wasn't amazing but it was definitely a good movie that I would recommend to watch.
njlakeAug 7, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed this more than expected, but that's only because my expectations were not very high.

Ant-Man is a relatively minor character in Marvel comics but there's no telling how much of a role he'll play in the MCU. That's kind of where the problems (minor character) and the good parts are (MCU involvement).

This movie, when it didn't revolve around the Avengers or anything involving the rest of the MCU was a pretty ordinary superhero movie. What set it apart was Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas. Both play their characters very well. I liked the idea of Scott Lang (Rudd) being a burglar that Hank Pym (Douglas) was watching for a while. Inevitably Pym teams of with Lang through Michael Peña's character (good choice) getting a tip to break into Pym's house.

I enjoyed a lot of the moments and the comedy wasn't too over the top. But where this movie falls short is where a lot of other superhero movies fall. The villain. Basically, just like almost every other superhero movie, the hero is fighting a different version of himself. It's a tired and overused character at this point.

I'm interested to see where Marvel takes this character within the rest of the MCU, but this film also has me a little worried for the upcoming Doctor Strange and Black Panther standalone movies. I have no doubt that Marvel can make them work within an ensemble but unfortunately their stand alone films may be a little weak.
blanks09Jul 31, 2015
Ant-Man is simply a great time at the movies. It's everything Marvel does well rolled into well-crafted heist movie. This one was also even funnier that I had anticipated and I went in prepared to laugh. Marvel has impressed me the pastAnt-Man is simply a great time at the movies. It's everything Marvel does well rolled into well-crafted heist movie. This one was also even funnier that I had anticipated and I went in prepared to laugh. Marvel has impressed me the past couple of years in demonstrating a broader range and scope in their movie making. I give Ant-Man an 8.5 and highly recommend it. Expand
UltimateBubJul 22, 2015
Surprisingly good. Really enjoyed it. If you've seen every Marvel Cinematic Universe film, you'll find this one different I think, and in a good way. Scott Lang, Ant-Man, is very charismatic, as is the rest of the characters. I found theSurprisingly good. Really enjoyed it. If you've seen every Marvel Cinematic Universe film, you'll find this one different I think, and in a good way. Scott Lang, Ant-Man, is very charismatic, as is the rest of the characters. I found the story interesting, different and grounded. The action is not over the top and the visual effects are entertaining for sure. Once you get used to the whole ant situation (interacting with the ants I mean, and the diminutive size), you'll find it's actually very well executed and enjoyable. Even though the villain is somewhat lacking and the story is not as cohesive as I would like it to be, I think Ant-Man is the kind of film Marvel needs right now. A much smaller, yet humble, movie. Expand
DevilsndadetailJul 30, 2015
After the excellent CAtws marvel has fallen back into it's tedious grinding franchise ways again with AAOU and now Antman.

Marvel know Antman is a weak movie and seem to try to combat this with blundering references to all it's other movies, cameos, and end of credit scenes avid fans need to see to get ready for the next movie churned out of the franchise factory.

Clunky comedy, a dull lead, an even duller villain, and aptly a CGI and steals the show from the wooden cast. Only a cool Michael Douglas kept me interested as I sat there.

the best thing I can say about Antman is it's not as bad as Terminator Genisys.
diogomendesJul 18, 2015
I thought "Ant-Man" was going to be last year's Guardians of the Galaxy, but I found myself disappointed while watching it. I was kind of bummed that this movie didn't go for the usual Marvel formula, but at least the movie did a good job inI thought "Ant-Man" was going to be last year's Guardians of the Galaxy, but I found myself disappointed while watching it. I was kind of bummed that this movie didn't go for the usual Marvel formula, but at least the movie did a good job in generating some laughs. And Paul Rudd's performance was appealing. I can't say there weren't parts that were particularly uninvolving but it got better over the second half of the movie. The villain is clearly one-note, and it doesn't seem like a character that anyone would like simply because he wears a badass yellow jacket (pun unintended). However, beyond the dazzling visuals, great cast and entertaining action, there was actually some easter eggs to be found, but the one that most excited me was the reference to Spider-Man in the end of the movie. As a Spidey fan, I'm looking forward to the new reboot produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Sony Pictures.

So... my take on "Ant-Man"? It was a solid movie, and if you're a fan of super-heroes, this film is watchable for you.

6.5/10.
FilmPhonicJul 17, 2015
Bringing a character not well known outside of comic-book fandom into the Marvel Cinematic universe is a risk particularly considering the unique powers that ‘Ant-Man’ brings to the table scale-wise, but what it lacks in grandiose spectacularBringing a character not well known outside of comic-book fandom into the Marvel Cinematic universe is a risk particularly considering the unique powers that ‘Ant-Man’ brings to the table scale-wise, but what it lacks in grandiose spectacular set-pieces this movie makes up for with its very grounded comedic tone.
In part ‘Ant-man’ feels rather fittingly like a typical Paul Rudd comedy which happens to involve a heist and people dressing like superheroes which is where it’s at its most effective, but parallel to this runs a formulaic Marvel origin story that ticks all the necessary boxes without offering anything particularly memorable.

It seems like Marvel’s careful planning to ensure a family-friendly tone and narrative that adequately bleeds into the rest of the Marvel universe has resulted in a film that doesn’t take many risks, perhaps this is the cause and consequence of ‘Ant-man’s’ many production problems involving replacing directors and constantly changing scripts.

When risks are taken you get unique action sequences based on the comedic value of shrinking characters along with the heart of the film in Paul Rudd’s lead performance, backed up hilariously by his “Three Stooges-like” companions.

The Bottom Line…
Safe and sometimes clichéd, ‘Ant-man’ lacks the punch of some other Marvel outings but what it lacks in scale it makes up for in humour and charm, given all its production issues it seems like Marvel have done a commendable job in introducing a character that can quite literally slot into any space in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
YenAug 2, 2015
Genuinely funny moments but, ultimately, a sub-par film with a half-baked heist. If only it could have been a comedy with some action (a la Scott Pilgrim) rather than an action movie with some comedy. Standard Marvel money-maker.
Trev29Dec 19, 2015
This is more nonsense. Marvel keeps rehashing the same garbage. The actors are likable enough, but they can't help this overlong silly movie. People will defend anything Marvel puts out, but I won't. It was boring.
mmweissAug 3, 2015
With a script that seems more interested in the MCU as a franchise than the film itself,"Ant-Man" commits the one sin an action-adventure movie cannot: it's boring.
Jim222001Jul 23, 2015
Despite Ant-Man being a superhero/heist film it's one of Marvels best. It has great exchanges between Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lilly. With great mini-sized action and excellent visuals.
Corey Stoll's villain character Darren
Corey Stoll's villain character Darren Cross is my only problem with the film. He feels like Jeff Bridges' Obadiah Stane from Ironman again. He's bald like Stane and makes his own suit like Stane. And holds a grudge because his mentor Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) didn't share his shrinking technology with him. When Stane was mad Stark didn't share his Iron suit technology with him.
Well you get the point; the villain could have been better. Spoiler: Plus I almost expected Evangeline Lilly to say "next time baby" about being Wasp "lol." Like Rhodes in the first Ironman. Since there is a slight first Ironman deja-vu but not too much at least. The movie mostly stands on it's own as a fun, cool and a pretty funny addition to the Marvel films.