6.7

1. Jan 11, 2013
    It's 1979 and Alan Cumming's character is making his meager living as a drag performer. He quickly meets a shy closeted hunk (Garret Dillahunt) and they end up fighting for custody of an abandoned teen with Down syndrome. This is an affecting and sweet drama that's elevated by Cumming's feisty performance (and wonderful singing), Dillahunt's lovable charm and Isaac Leyva's sweet smile. The period wardrobe is rich with wide collars and garish patterns, but it's the attitudes that provide the most jarring flashback (although they remain with us). While the subject is fodder for outrage and the story is basic, the acting and direction combine to create an appealing experience. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Ben Walters
    Sep 4, 2013
    Rousing as a tale of saintly gays against the system, Any Day Now is less stirring as cinema.
  2. Reviewed by: Farran Smith Nehme
    Dec 14, 2012
    Things go awry in the last act, as the movie stops dead for more songs and a tragic coda that seems forced and trite, rather than the three-hankie finale we've all earned. Still, Cumming is wonderful.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Dec 13, 2012
    The film's title suggests the wry irony of hindsight: We've come a long way, baby, but we're not there yet. Any Day Now could do with a little more of that astringent humor and a little less sap.