7.4

1. Jan 2, 2013
    Watching it with my family when it first came out and we all really enjoyed it. What I really liked about it was that it managed to keep you interested from start to finish. Just a solid movie overall imo.
  2. Jul 29, 2013
    Thanks to Gibson's self-evident understanding of cinematic scope and an utterly astounding level of detail in the costume and production design departments, "Apocalypto" breathes a richly believable breath of atmosphere into a civilization long gone and a story that's relatable to most.
  3. Nov 19, 2011
    Actually pretty good for the most part. The one flaw of the movie is that its far too long and really could have been shortend quite a bit and imo it could have gotten the film a lot better reviews as well. It does get a little dull at times and doesnt really have much suspense either but still a solid film.
  4. Aug 13, 2012
    The film builds it's characters themes and setting until it finally breaks out into a gut wrenching thrill ride. Although many are saying this is just an action film and has nothing to say there is a surprising amount of depth in the themes.
  5. Mar 26, 2012
    First things first, the movie is a chase movie without any cheesy special effects, CGI, or flashy cars. It is the bare bones of survival, a man running for his life. The movie tackles messages about the price for being free and how much we cherish our lives and the lives of the ones we love. It also tells of how a great civilization, that is very smart and advanced can turn to suchFirst things first, the movie is a chase movie without any cheesy special effects, CGI, or flashy cars. It is the bare bones of survival, a man running for his life. The movie tackles messages about the price for being free and how much we cherish our lives and the lives of the ones we love. It also tells of how a great civilization, that is very smart and advanced can turn to such inhumane and animal like practices in times of great depression.

The first thing I noticed while watching the movie is the cinematography, which is so beautiful. Giving us great shots of the forest and ancient cities. It is especially good in the chase sequences where I felt like I was the character and running for my life. Mel Gibson, one of my favorite directors, directs this movie so well. He has a knack for creating drama and very brutal scenes. My heart was constantly pounding even in slow scenes where nothing was happening. Iâ
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    A real spectacle! Drawing inspiration from Mayan culture, Gibson creates his own vision of Mesoamerica, aesthetically coherent yet overwhelming to the senses. In it, urban mercenaries attack isolated villages, hoping to reverse their city's decline by sacrificing captives to an insatiable sun-god. The sacrifice and the frenzy around it are dazzling; everything looks reminiscent of MayanA real spectacle! Drawing inspiration from Mayan culture, Gibson creates his own vision of Mesoamerica, aesthetically coherent yet overwhelming to the senses. In it, urban mercenaries attack isolated villages, hoping to reverse their city's decline by sacrificing captives to an insatiable sun-god. The sacrifice and the frenzy around it are dazzling; everything looks reminiscent of Mayan art yet, at the same, time, marvelously new. Beneath the exotic surface, however, run familiar emotional currents, and the charismatic young actors have no difficulty inspiring sympathy despite speaking entirely in a language most of us have never heard. But, alas, Gibson brought his ideological sledgehammer to the set. As the film opens, we read, in the immortal words of Will Durant, "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." In other words, what could have been a tale of a village besieged or the birth of a hero or the power of love is also an apology for imperialism. Look here, says Gibson, let me show you why Native Mesoamerica DESERVED Cortes. Those heathens piled up dead bodies like so much firewood, making the theft, betrayal, slaughter, and germ warfare that Europeans practiced a form of justice--pretty much what the conquistadors said at the time, if memory serves. As for the argument that the film is meant as a mirror of contemporary western culture, that does not shut down other lines of interpretation. If there's one thing everyone knows about Gibson, it's that he's a pre-Vatican II Catholic, meaning he was raised with the idea that every story has four levels: the distant past, the recent past, the end of time, and the individual soul. From the title onward, "Apocalypto" announces that it's about Mesoamerica AND the modern west AND the Apocalypse AND a person's family bonds, no one of which cancels out another. Objections aside, I recommend the film but suggest following it with "The Mission." Expand
  7. Mar 2, 2015
    Mel Gibson es de mis directores favoritos, pues se da tantas libertades que son de lujo, a pesar de que no es el mejor trabajo de Gibson (ese lugar es para su obra maestra -La Pasión De Cristo-) sin duda alguna es un espectáculo visual cargado de adrenalina pura, secuencias de acción y suspenso hacen que esta pelicula sea entretenimiento puro. La dirección de Gibson como siempre esMel Gibson es de mis directores favoritos, pues se da tantas libertades que son de lujo, a pesar de que no es el mejor trabajo de Gibson (ese lugar es para su obra maestra -La Pasión De Cristo-) sin duda alguna es un espectáculo visual cargado de adrenalina pura, secuencias de acción y suspenso hacen que esta pelicula sea entretenimiento puro. La dirección de Gibson como siempre es increíble y admirable, Gibson siempre le pone hasta el mas mínimo detalle en cada aspecto cinematográfico; la música, la fotografía, el sonido, la ambientación son un triunfo. Vuelvo a mencionar, y esto es una petición; pido que Mel Gibson regrese como director, (Yo lo considero mejor director que actor) estoy ansioso por ver su próxima pelicula. 10/10 Expand
  8. May 8, 2011
    The things you see in this movie are heavy, highly detailed, intense, and exist in a realm that most filmmakers can't go-such as using genocide as a plot device in a non-documentary piece. Very real feelings electrify this movie.
  9. Aug 5, 2013
    Apocalypto 8/10.......................................................................................................................................
  10. Sep 25, 2014
    Apocalypto is a beautiful and horrifying movie about a tribe of native Americans which gets raided by the Mayas to be enslaved, painted blue, ritually sacrificed, eaten and who knows what else. It is a virtual descent into hell and back again for the viewer, though nowhere near as persistently hellish as Passion of Christ, as the movie follows the main character while he tries to escapeApocalypto is a beautiful and horrifying movie about a tribe of native Americans which gets raided by the Mayas to be enslaved, painted blue, ritually sacrificed, eaten and who knows what else. It is a virtual descent into hell and back again for the viewer, though nowhere near as persistently hellish as Passion of Christ, as the movie follows the main character while he tries to escape the clutches of the deranged Mayan soldiery. All of it is done using Mayan language, which adds quite a lot of believability to the entire thing. Historically though, the proceedings are a sort of mix between Mayan and Aztec culture, and deliberately so, for reasons I`ll get to.
    As always I feel myself compelled to use Metacritic to point out allegories in movies, because nobody else is apparently able to notice them. And particularly the "this isn`t historically accurate" people, who have missed every single point about both Passion of Christ and Apocalypto. The reason Gibson used a composite for the imperial culture in Apocalypto is precisely to make it obvious that the movie is not intended to be a docudrama but an allegory of the conflict between power and empire on one side and freedom and natural humanity on the other. It is expected that the viewer notices these simple things to be able to also notice that the entire religious ceremony through which the Mayan elite exercises its power is a farce, a pantomime and a gigantic fraud, and that they all know it up on top of the pyramid, while the subjects down below do not. The whole thing is nothing more than a staged performance of state organized brutality, intended to frighten the peasants.
    This is the main statement Gibson makes in Apocalypto: that power is a fraud, maintained only through terrorizing the people. But because he is not really talking about Mayas, but about our present western power elite, he distorts it by mixing Aztec and Mayan culture. And this is what should tell us that the movie is a political, philosophical allegory about imperialism and oligarchy, which is not intended to be viewed as a period piece or anything of the sort. Otherwise he would not have blended the cultures see? Like Passion of Christ, Apocalypto tries to deal with the hypocrisy and mass murder at the heart of western civilization, with illegitimate power elites suppressing humanity, justice, freedom and truth, by using lies and violence in order to perpetuate their power. It presents a view on the evils of government as organized violence against the inherent good of man in his natural state. Once you truly understand this you`ll figure out that neither of these two movies are strictly about the subject matters, but are far more profound than that. So that`s why these "historical inaccuracies that might confuse people" are in the movie, and not because "Gibson doesn`t know how to read a history book".

Apocalypto is an allegory of contemporary oligarchical nonsense like the "War on Terror", the "War on Drugs", and an endless barrage of equally contrived and fake things. In fact, it is an allegory of any rule by lies, fraud, violence, intimidation and public spectacle and above all it is an allegory of good and evil. But if Mel Gibson had made this movie without allegories, he would probably have been shot by the CIA or been sent off to an insane asylum like Hemingway and Pound were. So much for free speech in the United States, and allegories it is then! Too bad most of the public are deaf dumb and blind to those. Oh well, what can you do, apart from whine about it on Metacritic?

I`m done with my rant now. Go watch Apocalypto at once if you haven`t already. Mass stupidity must be resisted!
  11. tor
    Jan 15, 2011
    Sure, Gibson ain't my favorite person, but let's be fair to this movie. It's great. Brutal and violent, but I was engrossed in the story from the beginning. Visually stunning. Twists and turns. Probably would have been an Oscar contender had Gibson not been so disliked. If you can get past the director and like action/adventure, you're likely to love it.
  12. Jan 31, 2011
    Fantastic film. I can't really say it was an "accurate portrayal" of the Mayan culture but it sure felt like it. It was intense and visually outstanding, when you see the sacrifice scene and the crowd of people is shown it is amazing how many there are, and if you see pictures of the actors after watching the movie it's incredible how they transformed them completely with the piercingsFantastic film. I can't really say it was an "accurate portrayal" of the Mayan culture but it sure felt like it. It was intense and visually outstanding, when you see the sacrifice scene and the crowd of people is shown it is amazing how many there are, and if you see pictures of the actors after watching the movie it's incredible how they transformed them completely with the piercings that looked so real and clothing that seemed so authentic. I liked how the movie wasn't in English because it would have ruined the movie like other times I've seen things like world war II movies where the Germans all have American accents. Overall this film just feels like what i would have imagined Mayan culture to be like and the one small complaint that i had was in character development. Besides the main character you didn't really learn much about anyone. Still this movie is not to be missed, unless you have a weak stomach because there is some pretty visual stuff, but again that really just helps capture the feel of the setting. Expand
  13. Apr 28, 2013
    Great movie. Original, fast-paced and fiercely violent. When I first saw it at the cinema, it was a random choice as everything else looked toss. I left the cinema drained (in a good way) and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days afterwards. I now lend my dvd copy to everyone I can, and almost all agree.
  14. Feb 6, 2011
    If one can get past the fact that this movie was meant to entertain and not educate, I think they would enjoy this film. The movie is a bit violent and not recommended for younger viewers. I think that the film does show how violent the Mayans probably lived.
  15. Jan 6, 2012
    I thought that this movie, while not comparable to Braveheart, or the Passion, was good in its own way. Though bloody and violent, the plot line was a classic Mel Gibson. I watched an oppressed person rise above insane odds (much like in The Passion, and Braveheart). I loved the movie and thought that the native language used throughout only helped create a more realistic movie. This isI thought that this movie, while not comparable to Braveheart, or the Passion, was good in its own way. Though bloody and violent, the plot line was a classic Mel Gibson. I watched an oppressed person rise above insane odds (much like in The Passion, and Braveheart). I loved the movie and thought that the native language used throughout only helped create a more realistic movie. This is another great win for Mel Gibson. Expand
  16. Jan 16, 2015
    A totally different themed movie than others which i was searching and now got
    It Showed some real action,adventures & story of the wild from fast to last
    I couldn't stop watching until see the end
    But now i want Apocalypto 2
    Hope someone will make it..
  17. ChaiM.
    Feb 2, 2007
    The movie was superbly created. With tons of metaphors and thoughts about courage, I, as an avid movie buff will certainly crave for this movie every once in a while...way to go!
  18. NabeelM.
    Jan 15, 2007
    Awesome piece of work. Truly shows how brutal man can get. There's one thing I need to say before I leave for those who are complaining about this movie being excessively violent. They should either try to understand the meaning of 'Rated - R' before buying a ticket in the theatres or buy a lolly pop and hold mommy's little finger before entering the theatre to watch Pingu.
  19. MattO'S
    Jan 7, 2007
    the most intense, nail-biting, seat grabbing flick i have seen all year. i have not left a cinema felling so tense since i saw tarintinos hostel, which by no means was a great film, but very gruesome. the movie has you has you captivated from start to finish. the setting is perfect, its great to see an all hispanic cast of virtual nobodies - who can act, and the ancient mayan language capsthe most intense, nail-biting, seat grabbing flick i have seen all year. i have not left a cinema felling so tense since i saw tarintinos hostel, which by no means was a great film, but very gruesome. the movie has you has you captivated from start to finish. the setting is perfect, its great to see an all hispanic cast of virtual nobodies - who can act, and the ancient mayan language caps it off and adds to the overall sinister tone of the film. not for the light hearted but a must see in my opinion. Expand
  20. JasonL.
    Jan 8, 2007
    Yeah it's violent. Yeah it's not factually 100% correct. Yeah Mel Gibson has lost the plot. But none of those facts make this movie bad. Who cares about the politics of it all when you have the chance to see something like this. It is stunning and really quite fresh. I hope he makes more just like it.
  21. PatE.
    Apr 8, 2007
    Undountedly, the people who no nothing of America's Indians can't help but rate this movie low, for the mind too small to comprehend anything past the violence, I say this movie isn't for you! Go watch an Arnold flick! It wasn't meant to brilliantly potray the mayan's culture. It also wasn't meant to give you a history lesson either. It was meant for you toUndountedly, the people who no nothing of America's Indians can't help but rate this movie low, for the mind too small to comprehend anything past the violence, I say this movie isn't for you! Go watch an Arnold flick! It wasn't meant to brilliantly potray the mayan's culture. It also wasn't meant to give you a history lesson either. It was meant for you to understand the nature of a people. The Mayans had spiritual beliefs, they had societies built by slaves. Yes, this slaves were their own people, stop bashing mel gibson just because this movie isn't for the simple minded. Sure, Mel isn't perfect, and sure he's a bit crazy. Alot of brilliant people have been on the brink of insanity. Stop taking away from a brilliant movie. Brilliant because it still captivates somewhat of a meaningful end. This isn't for you Jackass 2 movie lovers, so go back to your MTV rubbish and save the space for meaningful comment! Expand
  22. BernardB.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Undoubtedly the best action film ever shot.100% pure adrenaline.Blood and gore match the Mayan civilization of yore and criticizing Mel Gibson's realistic viewpoint is actually quite laughable.
  23. SolN.
    Jan 6, 2007
    I just came from the movie theater and searched the internet to rate this film. One word, Brilliant!
  24. LlaveO.
    Feb 5, 2007
    The film may be subject to negative comments for historical inaccuracies and brutal violences, but as a fiction, without a doubt, it is a masterpiece especially the performances of actors-- collectively, they performed with tribal perfection!
  25. RobertM.
    Jun 11, 2007
    The film shows time and time again that while the main character was intuitive, even lucky, his struggle against merely coping with the superstitious tendencies of his people was more than enough to drive him to save his two children and wife from a pit, slightly inaccurate but all around depicts what life would have been like, great jib Mel, keep em coming
  26. SimpleGuy
    Jul 27, 2007
    Good Movie.. Mel presented Westerners as the Saviours at the end of the Movie but in fact they were they real invaders and conquerers.. And he also presented the Mayans as Savages when these people respected each other and also respected nature.. Really disappointed at Mel..
  27. C.Yamashita
    Jan 6, 2008
    A fantastic work of cinema. It left me wanting more, which is a test of any great film. It seems most are missing the main reason for making the movie
  28. ShelbyJ.
    Apr 4, 2008
    I loved the movie. I think it was exciting and there was never a dull moment. I think that they should have more movies about this.
  29. SteveR
    Mar 24, 2009
    My opinion is that this was a Great movie!! The scenery the actors, and the story line exceeded my expectations! I haven't bought a DVD for some time but I will definitely buy this one. Action packed and very dramatic. I could visualize myself being there in this time of change for the Mexica Indians.
  30. MikeC.
    Dec 10, 2006
    Great movie. We care for the characters, there is plenty of breathtaking action, it's moving, the acting is excellent, photo and direction almost perfect. It would have been a perfect movie without the 3 or 4 really gory, over the top scenes. Mel, we didn't need it. We get the point.
  31. MGC.
    Dec 7, 2006
    Read Scott Foundas and Todd McCarthy and ignore the looney preachings of dinosaurs like Turan. This is a humanistic masterpiece, but sadly, telling the truth about humanity is, in Turan's weird book of Solemn Movie Rules, verboten.
  32. JohnV.
    Jan 14, 2007
    My wife and I discussed the symbolisms for hours! It really made me think of the world around us and inspired me to make a difference. Thank You Mr. Gibson.
  33. BettyM.
    Jan 14, 2007
    This film was astounding. Lucky I wasn't deterred by the shallow reviews I encountered. I left the movie overwhelmed by thoughts of things like the value of family, simplicity, leadership, community, fear, wealth and our 'civilization' . The violence is intense but I don't agree with those who think it was indulgent (I should admit to watching a few scenes through my This film was astounding. Lucky I wasn't deterred by the shallow reviews I encountered. I left the movie overwhelmed by thoughts of things like the value of family, simplicity, leadership, community, fear, wealth and our 'civilization' . The violence is intense but I don't agree with those who think it was indulgent (I should admit to watching a few scenes through my fingers though). Mel Gibson continues to amaze me with he manages to bring to a screen. Expand
  34. erinb
    Jan 2, 2007
    I could not understand why people couldn't believe that part of Maya culture was sacrificing their captives. I don't question opinions on historical accuracy but this is a movie not a documentary. The violence was apt for how the order of things were conducted in those days. I take the movie for what it is...it shows the demise of a decadent culture that has become numb to I could not understand why people couldn't believe that part of Maya culture was sacrificing their captives. I don't question opinions on historical accuracy but this is a movie not a documentary. The violence was apt for how the order of things were conducted in those days. I take the movie for what it is...it shows the demise of a decadent culture that has become numb to violence and has lost its respect for life. If this was directed by somebody else it would have gotten rave reviews for portraying the parallelisms that exist in the world then and what exists in the world now. Expand
  35. VinceUndisclosed
    Jan 2, 2007
    Absolutely amazing. Graphic, but really gets your attention. Very well thought out, written, and displayed on the screen.
  36. BrianDowdy
    Jan 20, 2007
    Should get best picture/director/actor, but it won't. This is an awesome movie that I saw twice last year and the images (eating testicles) stick with me still today. Gibson really knows how to ramp up the violence! This is pure adrenaline, better than any Rocky, fight movie you could consider. This movie is a Rush. Go see it. No other movie this past year gets a 4/4 except this one.Should get best picture/director/actor, but it won't. This is an awesome movie that I saw twice last year and the images (eating testicles) stick with me still today. Gibson really knows how to ramp up the violence! This is pure adrenaline, better than any Rocky, fight movie you could consider. This movie is a Rush. Go see it. No other movie this past year gets a 4/4 except this one. Don't believe the hype about the violence. It's not THAT bad. I've seen worse. Excellent film! Expand
  37. FreddsyD.
    Jan 26, 2007
    Action masterpiece!
  38. BillJ.
    Jan 3, 2007
    This movie was absolutely fantastic. It drew me into the film in the beginning with humor and it led to a very adrenaline pumping experience.
  39. MiklosP.
    Jan 5, 2007
    Really excellent. Violent and bloody, may not be for everyone - Mel overdoes it again a little bit, but overall a great achievement and a compelling, entertaining movie.
  40. Hardish
    Jan 6, 2007
    This was an intense rollercoaster cinematic experience. How times have changed--20 years ago this would've possibly been classed as a mondo movie (probably with smaller production values and banned) and even 10 years ago in the UK this movie would've seen censor cuts before a cinema release. Yes, it's violent and gory but Gibson is one of them rare directors who is not This was an intense rollercoaster cinematic experience. How times have changed--20 years ago this would've possibly been classed as a mondo movie (probably with smaller production values and banned) and even 10 years ago in the UK this movie would've seen censor cuts before a cinema release. Yes, it's violent and gory but Gibson is one of them rare directors who is not afraid to tell a story so real, that as an audience member, I was pretty much living the experience on the screen. Beautiful, uncomprimising and emotional on many levels. Expand
  41. TroyMossman
    Apr 14, 2007
    You know what guys? Quit ******** about how inaccurate the movie portrays the Mayans. We are no longer living in those times and they are impossible to completely re-create. Not to mention this movie was never meant to be a scientific study of Mayan life. Go watch a DIscovery special if that's what you're looking for. As it stands, Apocalyto is a great, fast paced action film.You know what guys? Quit ******** about how inaccurate the movie portrays the Mayans. We are no longer living in those times and they are impossible to completely re-create. Not to mention this movie was never meant to be a scientific study of Mayan life. Go watch a DIscovery special if that's what you're looking for. As it stands, Apocalyto is a great, fast paced action film. The story is interesting if not "historically accurate", and the filming is done very well. See it for what it is. Not because you want some boring British lecturer to take you through the life of the Mayan's or some crap like that. Expand
  42. StoshW.
    Jul 1, 2007
    Not nearly as bad as I expected so it gets points for exceeding expectations. Kind of a fun , though bloody romp , with no real substance at the end but an interesting ride with great scenery and costumes along the way. Wouldn't be worth getting on for another ride , but as they say and totally appropriate here , "better than a sharp stick in the eye."
  43. uzir.
    Jul 16, 2007
    Why is everyone whining about how historically inaccurate this movie is? "blah blah i wanted to learn something about the Mayans" well i wanted to see an awesome movie and my man Mel delivers. the ending wasn't super great, but the movie was totally awesome to look at, not to mention totally brutal.
  44. SimpleGuy
    Jul 27, 2007
  45. RichardT.
    Sep 14, 2007
    Apocalypto clearly refers to the practice of human sacrifices in Mesoamerican societies, mainly the Aztec people. I would refer to Michel Graulich work:
  46. Tupac
    Sep 2, 2007
    It's in my top 5 favorite movies of all-time. I usually don't like movies with subtitles in them but this one is different; it doesn't seem like a chore to be reading because it is such a good story.
  47. MartinaC.
    Feb 7, 2008
    Brilliant, inspiring, and very bloody. But I couldn't take my eyes of the screen. Gibson is brilliant story teller. The point is that while they are killing each other, bigger beast is coming to wipe them out. It's to remind us to live today for the moment, because there may not be another chance to do or say what we always wanted to.
  48. DanC.
    Mar 29, 2008
    This is an extremely effective and engrossing piece of story telling. Mel Gibson has a real talent for putting action on the screen within a larger and more meaningful context. The design and visuals are stunning, the action is extremely well done, and the acting is quite good as well. The squeamish critics are a mystery to me - the blood here serves a purpose, tells a compelling story, This is an extremely effective and engrossing piece of story telling. Mel Gibson has a real talent for putting action on the screen within a larger and more meaningful context. The design and visuals are stunning, the action is extremely well done, and the acting is quite good as well. The squeamish critics are a mystery to me - the blood here serves a purpose, tells a compelling story, and is realistic, not gratuitous. All in all, a very good movie experience. Very much worth seeing. Expand
  49. bobc.
    May 10, 2008
    Alex S. got it ALL correct..Mel's a great movie maker. I'm sick to death of smarmy so called movie critics who by and large, are self appointed seeing themselves as omnipotent arbiters of our entertainment..I would like to drop them back at the temple altar and see how they'd rate his accuracy. Mel .. love ya work!
  50. jazzman
    May 27, 2009
    Really a great movie. If you haven't seen it check it out. in my top 10 movies all time.
  51. David
    Jun 16, 2009
    I loved this movie!!! Very graphic in certain areas, but one of the few films I could watch over and over.
  52. FranklinC.
    Dec 11, 2006
    I know this is an allegory, but I like some historical realism with my allegory, thank you very much. Gibson obviously confused the Triple Alliance, or Aztecs if you will, with the Mayan. Additionally, there are other things that don't fit the historical facts: the contact scene at the film's end feels forced and is surely off in chronological terms as the Mayan civilization I know this is an allegory, but I like some historical realism with my allegory, thank you very much. Gibson obviously confused the Triple Alliance, or Aztecs if you will, with the Mayan. Additionally, there are other things that don't fit the historical facts: the contact scene at the film's end feels forced and is surely off in chronological terms as the Mayan civilization declined in 1000 not 1500. Mayans farmed maize, but never in monoculture as we see at the beginning of the chase scene. Mayans were no more blood thirsty than Europeans at the time, either. The film is entertaining, though. Gibson doesn Expand
  53. AmeronA.
    Dec 11, 2006
    You can hate Mel Gibson, but that doesn't mean his art is bad. In fact, I went in this movie with kind of a chip on my shoulder. When I left, I felt my money was justified. The story is a basic story of human survival in an historic setting. There are some down points, the gore was a bit much, some of the animal animatroinic part looked silly. But it makes up with great acting, You can hate Mel Gibson, but that doesn't mean his art is bad. In fact, I went in this movie with kind of a chip on my shoulder. When I left, I felt my money was justified. The story is a basic story of human survival in an historic setting. There are some down points, the gore was a bit much, some of the animal animatroinic part looked silly. But it makes up with great acting, gorgeous visuals, and a good story. Expand
  54. Chris
    Dec 10, 2006
    This is really an amazing film. I didn't even notice it was subtitled. Another significant accomplishment by Mr. Gibson.
  55. Giterdone
    Dec 11, 2006
    Simply Amazing film. Heart pounding, intense and gripping throughout. Definitely the best of the year. The score should be much higher than what is being reported on Metacritic. Make no mistake, it is a violent film, but all of it is necessary and well done.
  56. JonathanP.
    Dec 13, 2006
    Some of these comments are as asinine as the reviews were. The violence was mostly limited to a handful of scenes and completely overblown. As a film, it's a fantastic portrayal into how life was in that era and proves that Mel Gibson has an unparalleled ability at transporting the audience to another era.
  57. DanteJ.
    Dec 16, 2006
    Very suspenseful and exciting, but too short.
  58. KM.
    Dec 19, 2006
    Gibson has presented us with a remarkable version of Mayan history, focusing in at once on the social fabric of a small village and a complex city. The actors are outrageously authentic, the costumes stupendous and the cinematography drop-dead gorgeous. Having the characters speak in the surviving dialect capped the authenticity of the experience for this viewer. I am no fan of Mr. Gibson Gibson has presented us with a remarkable version of Mayan history, focusing in at once on the social fabric of a small village and a complex city. The actors are outrageously authentic, the costumes stupendous and the cinematography drop-dead gorgeous. Having the characters speak in the surviving dialect capped the authenticity of the experience for this viewer. I am no fan of Mr. Gibson as a person, but he is a dynamic and visionary director. Definitely a big screen must-see! Expand
  59. Nandi
    Dec 20, 2006
    Mel Gibson proves himself again as a true independent in Hollywood. I do not share his religious beliefs and expected this film to be more beholden to his Catholic beliefs but I was amazed at his objective characterization of two sides of a highly "advanced" culture, of course in dramatically and very spell bindingly terse terms. In the end the "righteous" Christians are actually Mel Gibson proves himself again as a true independent in Hollywood. I do not share his religious beliefs and expected this film to be more beholden to his Catholic beliefs but I was amazed at his objective characterization of two sides of a highly "advanced" culture, of course in dramatically and very spell bindingly terse terms. In the end the "righteous" Christians are actually portrayed as the scariest monsters in the film. This film was packed with energy and horrifyingly violent but to this film viewer who is a big fan of Jean Jacgues Rosseau', "noble savage' it hit me as being very realistic, with a solid understanding of the corrupting nature of civilization and struck a deep chord within me. Bravo Mel! Expand
  60. MichaelP.
    Dec 23, 2006
    I took this film for what it was--a fast and furious thriller about "primative" people fighting for survival--and loved every minute of it. My pulse was pounding when I left the theater, the violence and well-deserved revenge gave me a much-needed emotional release. There's absolutely nothing politically correct about this movie, Gibson pulls out all the stops. The graphic violence I took this film for what it was--a fast and furious thriller about "primative" people fighting for survival--and loved every minute of it. My pulse was pounding when I left the theater, the violence and well-deserved revenge gave me a much-needed emotional release. There's absolutely nothing politically correct about this movie, Gibson pulls out all the stops. The graphic violence and completely unvarnished view of human nature probably does upset some people--it's not for the faint of heart. However, if you don't mind looking life straight in the face and want to see an exciting, fast-paced thriller in a very unusual setting, you'll enjoy this film. (The only reason I gave it a 9 was that there were a few technical flaws that broke the spell a little bit for me, like having the moon overhead the night after a solar eclipse, and a human heart beating after it's been pulled from a body, etc.) Expand
  61. SteveH
    Dec 26, 2006
    If you are looking for different kind of movie this holiday season, this is it. This movie throws you into a Darwinian world that allows for few mistakes. The main character lives happily in this world until a stronger group enslaves them. The rest of the movie shows him running to survive. My only knock on this movie is that the violence goes a little too far. After the first beheading, If you are looking for different kind of movie this holiday season, this is it. This movie throws you into a Darwinian world that allows for few mistakes. The main character lives happily in this world until a stronger group enslaves them. The rest of the movie shows him running to survive. My only knock on this movie is that the violence goes a little too far. After the first beheading, you get it, "These people are bad" Expand
  62. UliD
    Dec 30, 2006
    A fascinating movie. Unfortunately Mel Gibson does not receive the credit he deserves.
  63. MichaelG.
    Dec 4, 2006
    Audacious, provocative but at the end of the day simply thrilling and startling in its coveyance of a time and place of great beauty and peril. A movie about the triumph of hope over fear. And as all the critics have pointed, there's A LOT to fear in the world Gibson so brilliantly creates.
  64. Jeremy
    Dec 8, 2006
    This movie was absolutely fantastic. it was gory, yes, but the genius of the story much outweighed the violence. what is it with people and wanting such intense historical accuracy? many of the critics disliked it because they expected some answer to the end of the Mayan civilization (including the person i went to see the movie with). yet i thought we were treated with something better:This movie was absolutely fantastic. it was gory, yes, but the genius of the story much outweighed the violence. what is it with people and wanting such intense historical accuracy? many of the critics disliked it because they expected some answer to the end of the Mayan civilization (including the person i went to see the movie with). yet i thought we were treated with something better: the last dying breath of a civilization as seen through the eyes of a man unwillingly brought into it during its last days. Marie Antoinette and Apocolypto shall remain in my memory for quite some time (and in my DVD collection), regardless of the historical accuracy. The story is fantastic in both, the cinematography is better, and best of all, the directors of both movies get the feel right. and that's all that matters to me. if i want a history lesson, i'll pick up an encyclopedia. see this movie. simple as that. Expand
  65. Compo
    Dec 8, 2006
    I think this movie is the best film out this year hands down. It is a great story, void of all Hollywood faces, making me care about the character rather than the actor. More movies of this caliber need to be made. Bravo Mr. Gibson. I also feel that a lot of movie critics judged the director rather than the film, letting their own disapproval for Mr.Gibson completely shroud their eyes I think this movie is the best film out this year hands down. It is a great story, void of all Hollywood faces, making me care about the character rather than the actor. More movies of this caliber need to be made. Bravo Mr. Gibson. I also feel that a lot of movie critics judged the director rather than the film, letting their own disapproval for Mr.Gibson completely shroud their eyes from the best film made in the last five years. Expand
  66. MaxB.
    Dec 9, 2006
    I can't understand how critics can praise this movie for it's ability to transport the audience to another time and place and then slam it for be excessively violent. The violence and blood letting in this movie wasn't that intense or gratuitous for the situations in which central character was depicted in. It's rated R for a reason and it's an adult movie. I I can't understand how critics can praise this movie for it's ability to transport the audience to another time and place and then slam it for be excessively violent. The violence and blood letting in this movie wasn't that intense or gratuitous for the situations in which central character was depicted in. It's rated R for a reason and it's an adult movie. I guess they're just use to the continual spew of PG-13 movies that Hollywood keeps cranking out in hopes of covering as many demographics as possible. It was nice to see an adult film that doesn't hold anything back from it's creators vision. Mel Gibson, you rock dude. Expand
  67. SenZu
    Dec 9, 2006
    This movie was great. It added to Mr. Gibson legendary stature in Hollywood as a marquee director. People, and that includes most professional reviewers, are making the big mistake of reviewing Mr. Gibson instead of reviewing the movie. That is wrong. The movie is untouchable. Its a great work of art.
  68. ArielG.
    Jan 12, 2007
    Mel Gibson did it again with this movie! I'll have to admit to being afraid that he may have lost his film-making touch due to the problems in his personal life (alcoholism and racist rants). But I'm glad that I was proved wrong. Apocalypto was easily one of better movies I've seen these past few months. The story grips you right from the very beginning, and doesn't Mel Gibson did it again with this movie! I'll have to admit to being afraid that he may have lost his film-making touch due to the problems in his personal life (alcoholism and racist rants). But I'm glad that I was proved wrong. Apocalypto was easily one of better movies I've seen these past few months. The story grips you right from the very beginning, and doesn't let go until the credits come up at the very end. The intensity is apparent throughout the entire movie, and there is a sense of danger and foreboding in every scene. Visually it was beautiful to watch, and we're given characters that we care about and sympathize with. I would gave it a rating of 10/10 if it weren't for the gratuitous gore and violence in the movie, which made some parts hard to watch. I understand he was trying to convey the sort of brutality at the time, but I don't think it needed to be as graphic as it was. So I took away 1 point from my rating. But still a great movie from a great film-maker! Expand
  69. JamesG.
    Jan 15, 2007
    Great film, excellent!!! Well worth a watch; had my girlfriend in tears. One of the best films I have seen in a long time.
  70. MarkB.
    Jan 17, 2007
    Nearly three years ago, while squeamishly preparing myself to see Mel Gibson's now-legendary The Passion of the Christ, I stopped in a favorite sports bar and, learning that the bartender on duty had already seen it, asked her if I should have a courage- fortifying beer beforehand. "Yes," she replied, "and one after, too!" Gibson's followup might well demand a six-pack before Nearly three years ago, while squeamishly preparing myself to see Mel Gibson's now-legendary The Passion of the Christ, I stopped in a favorite sports bar and, learning that the bartender on duty had already seen it, asked her if I should have a courage- fortifying beer beforehand. "Yes," she replied, "and one after, too!" Gibson's followup might well demand a six-pack before viewing by the overly sensitive--any movie that opens with testicle-eating (animal, not human) is one that isn't shy about letting the audience know early on what it's in for--but if you're prepared for where Mel takes you, Apacalypto is one of the purest, most viscerally exciting and visually stunning action movies of the last several years. It helps enormously that the likable hero, Jaguar Paw (Rudy Youngblood) is motivated not by revenge (justifiable though this might be) but by self-defense and preservation of his family...especially when his wife and little boy represent the zenith of noncloying adorableness. Gibson's much-publicized use of the Mayan language throughout turns out to be something of a moot point: after the establishing sequences (which feature lots of tribal male bonding and practical joking, just what you'd expect from the director of Braveheart and a rabid Three Stooges fan), the action becomes so clearly set that Apocalypto would've worked beautifully as a silent film. And while you don't normally expect to use (or read) words like "subtlety", "thoughtfulness" and "nuance" when referring to the cinema of Mel Gibson, Apocalypto's left-field final twist brings the movie's breathless pacing and vivid violence to a surprisingly somber, reflective close. It also forces viewers to redefine again the controversial filmmaker who rather puzzlingly became the darling of the right-wing media with Passion (as though identifying and supporting intensely with Jesus' suffering in his last hours on earth and supporting troop buildups in Iraq and turning a deaf ear to restrictions on torturing prisoners were somehow synonymous) but recently made some anti-Bush statements that confounded the right-wing press while delighting those moviegoers who, like me, found absolutely nothing wrong with loving both Passion AND Fahrenheit 9/11. Being a big fan of Apocalypto as well doesn't prevent me from expressing a few reservations and misgivings, though: as far as certain other, far more heavily-publicized, tequila-fueled utterances made by Mel are concerned, it's hard to completely put them out of one's mind during a sequence in which Jaguar Paw, fleeing from Mayans attempting to sacrifice him to their gods, comes across some examples of their brutal handiwork that unavoidably brought to mind certain Holocaust photos and films I've seen. Equally disturbing is that, as hugely effective and even enjoyable as Apocalypto is during most of its running time, its maker (who reportedly encouraged director Ron Howard to use a lot more ketchup during the shootout scenes in Ransom) seems to be having just a little bit too much Herschell Gordon Lewis-style fun filming the tribal atrocities he's putting up on screen. Remember the junior high school boys' room admonition "Shake it more than twice and you're playing with it"? Put it this way: depicting one human sacrifice qualifies as legitimate plot revelation...but going back and lovingly doing it all over again is masturbation. Expand
  71. S.B.
    Jan 25, 2007
    The raw energy and passion of the film is very primal, but it makes you feel alive and very human. It is not a film for audiences whom hang their lives on intellectual hooks. This said, I found the central messages strong and powerful and above all very honest. The violence and brutality served it purpose in revealing the central themes. Fear in life is the killer of all human evolution, The raw energy and passion of the film is very primal, but it makes you feel alive and very human. It is not a film for audiences whom hang their lives on intellectual hooks. This said, I found the central messages strong and powerful and above all very honest. The violence and brutality served it purpose in revealing the central themes. Fear in life is the killer of all human evolution, the individual who can stare it in the face and not sucumb will be at one with nature, and the spirit of the world or the "jungle" will become there ally. Expand
  72. NickX.
    Jan 27, 2007
    I wish I could rate it with 11/10. The film is amazing for every fan of the Mayans..and not!
  73. MauriceD.
    Jan 6, 2007
    This is a fantastic movie, Gibson is a true artist.
  74. GavinM.
    Jan 7, 2007
    An absolute must-see. Incredibly convincing and exciting, though the violence is stomach-churning.
  75. John
    Jan 8, 2007
    Inasmuch as the violence shocked me, I was forced to recognize that this was in fact what happened in Maya civilization. They performed ritualistic human sacrifice on a massive scale. We do it too, but as long as the American public doesn't have to see it, they can digest the reality (not unlike the way we eat packaged meat, just as long as we don't see the chickens beingInasmuch as the violence shocked me, I was forced to recognize that this was in fact what happened in Maya civilization. They performed ritualistic human sacrifice on a massive scale. We do it too, but as long as the American public doesn't have to see it, they can digest the reality (not unlike the way we eat packaged meat, just as long as we don't see the chickens being slaughtered). We've become so numbed to death, that the lastest figures of those killed on a daily basis in Iraq is reported alongside the latest rising and falling stock prices. We're no longer shocked. Doesn't that speak volumes about the parallels in our societies? Expand
  76. Wetwebwork
    Jan 8, 2007
    Great action film. The era and atmosphere are fantastic, and the action relentless. Probably one for the big screen.
  77. RadiospotsR.
    Feb 18, 2007
    Absolutely a superb work of art. I have been working long hours that last several months, and almost every movie I have dozed off on, but not this. This movie had me from the begining to the very end. Went very fast, absoutely amazing and proving Mel is definitely a very gifted artist.
  78. BrutusO.
    Mar 11, 2007
    A bit of a surprise, and a considerably better film than Braveheart. Above all Apocalypto is a gripping action film, admittedly violent, but well paced and brilliantly shot, with astounding costume design and casting. It is also occasionally humourous, often touching, sometimes romantic and quite a bit more thoughtful than it first appears. The film is not a documentary about Mayan A bit of a surprise, and a considerably better film than Braveheart. Above all Apocalypto is a gripping action film, admittedly violent, but well paced and brilliantly shot, with astounding costume design and casting. It is also occasionally humourous, often touching, sometimes romantic and quite a bit more thoughtful than it first appears. The film is not a documentary about Mayan history. It is a parable about the nature of apocalyptic social collapse (hence the title, guys - it isn't called Mayo) and the centrality and importance of family and primary relationships when society crumbles. So it could have been set in any country where society and the environment are in terminal decline. The lesson is that mindless violence and overpopulation and ethnic cleansing and a war economy and religious hysteria will all come to the fore when the elites within any society lose touch with their basic humanitarian and conservationist impulses. So this movie could just as easily have been set at the fall of Ancient Egypt, or Rome, or even in contemporary Iraq, Sudan or Zimbabwe. But despite being like, "a bit heavy and depressing" the film in fact has the directorial chops to be pretty damn entertaining. I suppose linking one's family values to the environment represents something of a conservative viewpoint, but after all conservation and conservative do stem from the same word. Mel's best film. Expand
  79. MarilenManipula
    May 22, 2007
    hey, i hate those who gave 0 ranking for mel gibson's apocalypto, so i give it 10, it's really a good movie, if there's violence which most consider negative, why won't they open their eyes? stop pretending to be so inncocent! when i've watched this movie it's really good, you can really feel the intense.. i give it a perfect score ^^-
  80. ChristopherW.
    May 23, 2007
    As with Gibson's last three films, if you're looking for historical accuracy, look elsewhere. However, once again, he has made a thoroughly engrossing, beautifully mounted epic. The controversial treatment of Mayan people as brutal savages will, no doubt, be offensive to some history buffs, but the film is remarkably entertaining and well paced, and truly soars in its secondAs with Gibson's last three films, if you're looking for historical accuracy, look elsewhere. However, once again, he has made a thoroughly engrossing, beautifully mounted epic. The controversial treatment of Mayan people as brutal savages will, no doubt, be offensive to some history buffs, but the film is remarkably entertaining and well paced, and truly soars in its second half. Gibson may have some serious character flaws, but he has filmmaking in his blood. Extraordinary! Expand
  81. JackieR.
    Jun 13, 2007
    I found this picture hard to watch at times as the images were so upsetting but I felt it probably portrayed the actual times accurately. Not a big Mel fan, I would recommend this but not to the fainthearted!
  82. Eldon
    Jun 17, 2007
    I had avoided seeing this film for a number of reasons... but I have to admit I thought it was good. It really did surprise me. Brutus O's review is right there.
  83. JohnM.
    Jun 22, 2007
    I really loved the film regardless of some of the critics own remarks . It might seem that the problem of the films historical vision of the Mayan city at the end of the Maya civilization - seems rather pointless to identity the 'city' in the film - My friend who is a Maya-ologist says that the 'pyramid of doom' in the film where the sacrifices took place is one of the I really loved the film regardless of some of the critics own remarks . It might seem that the problem of the films historical vision of the Mayan city at the end of the Maya civilization - seems rather pointless to identity the 'city' in the film - My friend who is a Maya-ologist says that the 'pyramid of doom' in the film where the sacrifices took place is one of the pyramids in the city of Tikal which was abandoned in 9 cen AD way after the time that the movie says that Jaguar Paw taken captive- Gibson did use some old National Geographic paintings of the city of Tikal as his Mayan city in the movie ; nevertheless it is a good film and it is close to the new conceptions of the Maya in light of modern archaeological findings. The Maya were more warlike than 'peaceful' as was once thought. Expand
  84. HannahB.
    Jun 23, 2007
    I think this was an amazing movie and it was very suspenseful! Mel Gibson has out done himself once again!
  85. Jerry
    Jun 30, 2007
    Wow, very good movie. Wasn't expecting it at all. I figured with the way the previews made it look it would just be a bunch of random, scenes of a violent history documentary. Yes it is violent but the story is great and its an incredible amount of excitement thru out. (P.S. I'm a jew that knows Mel Gibson is a grade A closet anti-semetic but that that bias I held going into the Wow, very good movie. Wasn't expecting it at all. I figured with the way the previews made it look it would just be a bunch of random, scenes of a violent history documentary. Yes it is violent but the story is great and its an incredible amount of excitement thru out. (P.S. I'm a jew that knows Mel Gibson is a grade A closet anti-semetic but that that bias I held going into the movie says just how good this movie was.) Expand
  86. ChristianV.
    Jun 8, 2007
    Incredible! Kept my heart pounding through out the entire movie! Extremely entertaining. I would definitely watch this movie over and over again.
  87. AMovieCritic
    Jul 15, 2007
    Forget the fact that Mel Gibson made it.....this is a great movie. It literally feels like you're being transported to another world. Extremely immersing experience with music and sound effects that completely bring this world to life. Great chase scenes in the last half hour as well. As much as I hate to admit it (since this movie's directed and co-written by Mel Gibson,) I Forget the fact that Mel Gibson made it.....this is a great movie. It literally feels like you're being transported to another world. Extremely immersing experience with music and sound effects that completely bring this world to life. Great chase scenes in the last half hour as well. As much as I hate to admit it (since this movie's directed and co-written by Mel Gibson,) I really liked this movie. It does have a tendency to linger on certain scenes a little too long (an attack on a village in the beginning seems to go on forever, as does a trek to a city,) but overall, it's a satisfying and interesting experience and a worthwhile rental, at least. Obviously it's a violent movie, but it didn't really feel excessive. Expand
  88. ReneV
    Jul 9, 2007
    Horrible, violent, disgusting.
  89. MarkS.
    Aug 24, 2007
    This is one of those movie that shows how little some people know about making a fantastic movie, including critics especially. People 'getting sick' from watching Apocalypto is pathetic, because it is also one of those films that isn't nearly as violent as it seemed it would be. Makes me wonder if some of these critics and fans voting on here even watched the movie. The This is one of those movie that shows how little some people know about making a fantastic movie, including critics especially. People 'getting sick' from watching Apocalypto is pathetic, because it is also one of those films that isn't nearly as violent as it seemed it would be. Makes me wonder if some of these critics and fans voting on here even watched the movie. The voter here named 'A Movie Critic' says it right: it literally feels like you're being transported to another world." And that is Great-with -a-capital-G filmaking. I don't give it a 10 only because that is reserved for films like The Empire Strikes Back, The Wizard of Oz, and Ben Hur. Expand
  90. SeanS.
    Aug 4, 2007
    One of the best films I have ever seen. What I don't understand is all the critics saying that it was too violent and bloody, especially in the temple scene. Well guess what? This is how it was. Hahaha oh yeah, this one critic even wrote..."what kind of brutal movie is this....who would watch this....gangbangers"? Mannnnn, this isn't New Jack City or Boys in the Hood you One of the best films I have ever seen. What I don't understand is all the critics saying that it was too violent and bloody, especially in the temple scene. Well guess what? This is how it was. Hahaha oh yeah, this one critic even wrote..."what kind of brutal movie is this....who would watch this....gangbangers"? Mannnnn, this isn't New Jack City or Boys in the Hood you half-wit. What, did u think that the Mayan warriors went to the villages tapping on the inhabitants shoulders telling them..."can you please come with me"? NO! And the temple scene.... actually, there were so many sacrifices that there were pools of blood and fat at the bottom of them so Mel was really giving us a break from how it really was. My god, I wonder what u people would say then. Yeah its gross, yeah its violent as hell but this is how the civilization was. Weapons, tattoos, piercings......everything was accurate except for the arrival of the Spaniards. But who cares! Instead of mentally searching for the arrival time of the Spaniards to make sure its historically correct, I thought to myself...."ha, that's cool....look at that....here they come to end it all....spread/force their language, diseases and religious beliefs on the Mayan people and totally end what I just saw through the movie....forever"! I really enjoyed the movie. Sit back and enjoy it. Let it take u on a wild ride throught the jungle and witness how the Mayans lived for thousands of years. Well not the whole culture of course but the religious aspect of it anyway. The Mayan military REALLY did go out to surrounding villages to get victims for their religious sacrifices. They even actually had wars solely for them. They REALLY did sacrifice the victims in that way up there on top of the temples. There's your "historical accuracy" right there. I mean, the whole film is accurate but those 5 seconds capturing the arrival. Never mind the bad reviews. See it. Trust me! Expand
  91. PaulF.
    Sep 12, 2007
    What can I say but that Apocalypto felt as near perfect as it could be. Sure it was not the most feel good movie of the year seeing as there is so much violence with its war and sacrificial plot lines. But at times I'm sure this was exactly how it was for the Mayan and surrounding peoples. They did have at one point in their history a belief that human sacrifice in reflection of one What can I say but that Apocalypto felt as near perfect as it could be. Sure it was not the most feel good movie of the year seeing as there is so much violence with its war and sacrificial plot lines. But at times I'm sure this was exactly how it was for the Mayan and surrounding peoples. They did have at one point in their history a belief that human sacrifice in reflection of one of their God Expand
  92. DesmondM
    Nov 24, 2008
    You can always tell if a movie's going to be good or bad by reading the user comments in metacritic. After reading apocalypto's comments I knew I had to watch it. All the people who gave it bad ratings were obviously either complete idiots, or the sort of feeble, weak people who scream at the sight of mice. Why would you watch a movie rated R for violence and disturbing images You can always tell if a movie's going to be good or bad by reading the user comments in metacritic. After reading apocalypto's comments I knew I had to watch it. All the people who gave it bad ratings were obviously either complete idiots, or the sort of feeble, weak people who scream at the sight of mice. Why would you watch a movie rated R for violence and disturbing images if you don't like the sight of blood!? The main reason you can tell that the people who thought badly of 'apocalypto' are idiots is by the fact that the same people who say that they went into the movie expecting it to be about the downfall of the mayans and were surprised that it was not, go on to state that the plot is predictable... Hmm... let's think... How can the storyline be surprising and unexpected, and yet the plot is predictable??? Aren't the storyline and the plot pretty much the same thing!? And I don't get how 'Andrew' can say that the movie was historically inaccurate, even after 'Richard. T' wrote what looked like a novel about the many aspects of the film that related to history and were plausible. Also, I don't think many of us would have left the theatre with a mortal fear of mayans, scared that at any second they're going to come and destroy our houses, tie us up and take us away... In case everyone who said that the mayans were portrayed incorrectly as a violent people don't realise, not only were the people who wrecked the village and stole all the adults (the 'bad guys') mayan, but the good guys were mayans as well. You all choose to look at it from the point of view that everyone will have the wrong idea about the mayans now, even though 'jaguar paw' (who was mayan as well, duh!) was shown as such a kind and loving man who did so much for his wife, son, and unborn child, and only killed or harmed his enemies in self defence... As I mentioned before, immediately after reading the comments on metacritic, and seeing how stupid the people who were cynical of this movie were, I went and watched the movie, for which I am very grateful. It was actually one of the best movies I've ever seen, even though I haven't really liked Mel Gibson in the past. This was one of those movies that I just had to have on DVD. It was a great movie, and I don't even need to criticize the people who didn't like it any more, because their dim-wittedness speaks for itself. Awesome acting. Awesome storyline. Awesome movie!!! Expand
  93. AlexS.
    Jan 28, 2008
    The overwhelming majority of people critiquing the movie have two arguments: excessive gore and lack of insight on the Mayan empire. Guess what, the movie was not about that in the first place. You loath blood, open your eyes, see the R rating and than buzz off. You want documentary on Mayan empire
  94. AdamS.
    Dec 8, 2008
    Really drawn into it the whole time. Loved it. A+
  95. AcelleJ.
    Jan 7, 2008
    This is the GREATEST movie I have ever seen! Mel Gibson is the BESTt actor and director! Much RESPECT!
  96. DionK.
    May 13, 2008
    JUST BRILLIANT!!!! Can't get enough of it... Mel Gibson is a genius and for those of you who didn't enjoy it, you should get educated on Mayan culture which was so well pictured. There is brutal violence and it is a hard to watch movie but it IS The HISTORY, this is real, just thank God you didn't live those days. And if you find Jurassic Park, Spiderman, Star Wars, Matrix JUST BRILLIANT!!!! Can't get enough of it... Mel Gibson is a genius and for those of you who didn't enjoy it, you should get educated on Mayan culture which was so well pictured. There is brutal violence and it is a hard to watch movie but it IS The HISTORY, this is real, just thank God you didn't live those days. And if you find Jurassic Park, Spiderman, Star Wars, Matrix or Transformers better done, they you need to grow up! This movie is EXCEPTIONALLY inspiring. It blew my mind for daaays now. Just got back from Mayan Riviera and been studying mayan civilization for awhile. It was great to get an ide of what happened their at the ruin sites. Great job on costumes and make-up, they were almost described to a tee. Thank you for making such a GREAT movie. Would love to see the Incas next. Expand
  97. sreepriyabs
    Jan 19, 2009
    Excellent movie!! was able to watch the movie on tv n i was really moved by the movie... loved the emotions through the movie and a gr8 job by mel gibson!
  98. AaronM.
    Dec 11, 2006
    Extremely original, intense, often moving, and unforgettable. I really hope this movie does well at the box office cause it's worth seeing. Mel Gibson has done it again.
  99. JasonK.
    Dec 10, 2006
    VERY captivating movie and it seems to be historically plausible! I honestly don't know where these bad reviews are coming from...
  100. AndrewM.
    Dec 10, 2006
    Great Movie, Excellent Presentation of New Camera Technology (The Genesis HD Camera). Honestly. When a Critic critizes a movie because of its Gore Elements. you know they are jus trying to find new ways to Critize a Genius. Kill BIll , History of Violence , among other horror films had gore. and were shot for the current era. A movie which captures the life and times of that civilization Great Movie, Excellent Presentation of New Camera Technology (The Genesis HD Camera). Honestly. When a Critic critizes a movie because of its Gore Elements. you know they are jus trying to find new ways to Critize a Genius. Kill BIll , History of Violence , among other horror films had gore. and were shot for the current era. A movie which captures the life and times of that civilization needs that element. Fend Off those useless Critics. GO SEE IT Expand

Gibson has made a film of blunt provocation and bruising beauty.
  2. The guy knows how to make a heart-pounding movie; he just happens to be a cinematic sadist.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Mel Gibson is always good for a surprise, and his latest is that Apocalypto is a remarkable film. Set in the waning days of the Mayan civilization, the picture provides a trip to a place one's never been before, offering hitherto unseen sights of exceptional vividness and power.