Apocalypto

7.4

1. May 8, 2011
    The things you see in this movie are heavy, highly detailed, intense, and exist in a realm that most filmmakers can't go-such as using genocide as a plot device in a non-documentary piece. Very real feelings electrify this movie.
  2. tor
    Jan 15, 2011
    Sure, Gibson ain't my favorite person, but let's be fair to this movie. It's great. Brutal and violent, but I was engrossed in the story from the beginning. Visually stunning. Twists and turns. Probably would have been an Oscar contender had Gibson not been so disliked. If you can get past the director and like action/adventure, you're likely to love it.
  3. Mar 8, 2016
    Truly tremendous in every sense. Mel Gibson made a beautiful movie that can be watched again and again and again.

It won't be truly honored for the classic it is until after his death when he'll be rehabilitated no doubt but that is the way of the world. That aside, this is one of the 10 movies of the century.
  4. Mar 2, 2015
    Mel Gibson es de mis directores favoritos, pues se da tantas libertades que son de lujo, a pesar de que no es el mejor trabajo de Gibson (ese lugar es para su obra maestra -La Pasión De Cristo-) sin duda alguna es un espectáculo visual cargado de adrenalina pura, secuencias de acción y suspenso hacen que esta pelicula sea entretenimiento puro. La dirección de Gibson como siempre esMel Gibson es de mis directores favoritos, pues se da tantas libertades que son de lujo, a pesar de que no es el mejor trabajo de Gibson (ese lugar es para su obra maestra -La Pasión De Cristo-) sin duda alguna es un espectáculo visual cargado de adrenalina pura, secuencias de acción y suspenso hacen que esta pelicula sea entretenimiento puro. La dirección de Gibson como siempre es increíble y admirable, Gibson siempre le pone hasta el mas mínimo detalle en cada aspecto cinematográfico; la música, la fotografía, el sonido, la ambientación son un triunfo. Vuelvo a mencionar, y esto es una petición; pido que Mel Gibson regrese como director, (Yo lo considero mejor director que actor) estoy ansioso por ver su próxima pelicula. 10/10 Expand
  5. David
    Jun 16, 2009
    I loved this movie!!! Very graphic in certain areas, but one of the few films I could watch over and over.
  6. JimE.
    Jun 15, 2007
    The contradictions of the human condition are understood by Gibson. Unlike his critics (who, based on their ad hominum remarks, are mere children next to him), he is authentic and unapologetic and will therefore be remembered.
  7. ChaiM.
    Feb 2, 2007
    The movie was superbly created. With tons of metaphors and thoughts about courage, I, as an avid movie buff will certainly crave for this movie every once in a while...way to go!
  8. NabeelM.
    Jan 15, 2007
    Awesome piece of work. Truly shows how brutal man can get. There's one thing I need to say before I leave for those who are complaining about this movie being excessively violent. They should either try to understand the meaning of 'Rated - R' before buying a ticket in the theatres or buy a lolly pop and hold mommy's little finger before entering the theatre to watch Pingu.
  9. MattO'S
    Jan 7, 2007
    the most intense, nail-biting, seat grabbing flick i have seen all year. i have not left a cinema felling so tense since i saw tarintinos hostel, which by no means was a great film, but very gruesome. the movie has you has you captivated from start to finish. the setting is perfect, its great to see an all hispanic cast of virtual nobodies - who can act, and the ancient mayan language capsthe most intense, nail-biting, seat grabbing flick i have seen all year. i have not left a cinema felling so tense since i saw tarintinos hostel, which by no means was a great film, but very gruesome. the movie has you has you captivated from start to finish. the setting is perfect, its great to see an all hispanic cast of virtual nobodies - who can act, and the ancient mayan language caps it off and adds to the overall sinister tone of the film. not for the light hearted but a must see in my opinion. Expand
  10. JasonL.
    Jan 8, 2007
    Yeah it's violent. Yeah it's not factually 100% correct. Yeah Mel Gibson has lost the plot. But none of those facts make this movie bad. Who cares about the politics of it all when you have the chance to see something like this. It is stunning and really quite fresh. I hope he makes more just like it.
  11. PatE.
    Apr 8, 2007
    Undountedly, the people who no nothing of America's Indians can't help but rate this movie low, for the mind too small to comprehend anything past the violence, I say this movie isn't for you! Go watch an Arnold flick! It wasn't meant to brilliantly potray the mayan's culture. It also wasn't meant to give you a history lesson either. It was meant for you toUndountedly, the people who no nothing of America's Indians can't help but rate this movie low, for the mind too small to comprehend anything past the violence, I say this movie isn't for you! Go watch an Arnold flick! It wasn't meant to brilliantly potray the mayan's culture. It also wasn't meant to give you a history lesson either. It was meant for you to understand the nature of a people. The Mayans had spiritual beliefs, they had societies built by slaves. Yes, this slaves were their own people, stop bashing mel gibson just because this movie isn't for the simple minded. Sure, Mel isn't perfect, and sure he's a bit crazy. Alot of brilliant people have been on the brink of insanity. Stop taking away from a brilliant movie. Brilliant because it still captivates somewhat of a meaningful end. This isn't for you Jackass 2 movie lovers, so go back to your MTV rubbish and save the space for meaningful comment! Expand
  12. BernardB.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Undoubtedly the best action film ever shot.100% pure adrenaline.Blood and gore match the Mayan civilization of yore and criticizing Mel Gibson's realistic viewpoint is actually quite laughable.
  13. SolN.
    Jan 6, 2007
    I just came from the movie theater and searched the internet to rate this film. One word, Brilliant!
  14. LlaveO.
    Feb 5, 2007
    The film may be subject to negative comments for historical inaccuracies and brutal violences, but as a fiction, without a doubt, it is a masterpiece especially the performances of actors-- collectively, they performed with tribal perfection!
  15. RobertM.
    Jun 11, 2007
    The film shows time and time again that while the main character was intuitive, even lucky, his struggle against merely coping with the superstitious tendencies of his people was more than enough to drive him to save his two children and wife from a pit, slightly inaccurate but all around depicts what life would have been like, great jib Mel, keep em coming
  16. SimpleGuy
    Jul 27, 2007
    Good Movie.. Mel presented Westerners as the Saviours at the end of the Movie but in fact they were they real invaders and conquerers.. And he also presented the Mayans as Savages when these people respected each other and also respected nature.. Really disappointed at Mel..
  17. C.Yamashita
    Jan 6, 2008
    A fantastic work of cinema. It left me wanting more, which is a test of any great film. It seems most are missing the main reason for making the movie
  18. ShelbyJ.
    Apr 4, 2008
    I loved the movie. I think it was exciting and there was never a dull moment. I think that they should have more movies about this.
  19. SteveR
    Mar 24, 2009
    My opinion is that this was a Great movie!! The scenery the actors, and the story line exceeded my expectations! I haven't bought a DVD for some time but I will definitely buy this one. Action packed and very dramatic. I could visualize myself being there in this time of change for the Mexica Indians.
  20. MikeC.
    Dec 10, 2006
    Great movie. We care for the characters, there is plenty of breathtaking action, it's moving, the acting is excellent, photo and direction almost perfect. It would have been a perfect movie without the 3 or 4 really gory, over the top scenes. Mel, we didn't need it. We get the point.
  21. MGC.
    Dec 7, 2006
    Read Scott Foundas and Todd McCarthy and ignore the looney preachings of dinosaurs like Turan. This is a humanistic masterpiece, but sadly, telling the truth about humanity is, in Turan's weird book of Solemn Movie Rules, verboten.
  22. JohnV.
    Jan 14, 2007
    My wife and I discussed the symbolisms for hours! It really made me think of the world around us and inspired me to make a difference. Thank You Mr. Gibson.
  23. BettyM.
    Jan 14, 2007
    This film was astounding. Lucky I wasn't deterred by the shallow reviews I encountered. I left the movie overwhelmed by thoughts of things like the value of family, simplicity, leadership, community, fear, wealth and our 'civilization' . The violence is intense but I don't agree with those who think it was indulgent (I should admit to watching a few scenes through my This film was astounding. Lucky I wasn't deterred by the shallow reviews I encountered. I left the movie overwhelmed by thoughts of things like the value of family, simplicity, leadership, community, fear, wealth and our 'civilization' . The violence is intense but I don't agree with those who think it was indulgent (I should admit to watching a few scenes through my fingers though). Mel Gibson continues to amaze me with he manages to bring to a screen. Expand
  24. erinb
    Jan 2, 2007
    I could not understand why people couldn't believe that part of Maya culture was sacrificing their captives. I don't question opinions on historical accuracy but this is a movie not a documentary. The violence was apt for how the order of things were conducted in those days. I take the movie for what it is...it shows the demise of a decadent culture that has become numb to I could not understand why people couldn't believe that part of Maya culture was sacrificing their captives. I don't question opinions on historical accuracy but this is a movie not a documentary. The violence was apt for how the order of things were conducted in those days. I take the movie for what it is...it shows the demise of a decadent culture that has become numb to violence and has lost its respect for life. If this was directed by somebody else it would have gotten rave reviews for portraying the parallelisms that exist in the world then and what exists in the world now. Expand
  25. VinceUndisclosed
    Jan 2, 2007
    Absolutely amazing. Graphic, but really gets your attention. Very well thought out, written, and displayed on the screen.
  26. BrianDowdy
    Jan 20, 2007
    Should get best picture/director/actor, but it won't. This is an awesome movie that I saw twice last year and the images (eating testicles) stick with me still today. Gibson really knows how to ramp up the violence! This is pure adrenaline, better than any Rocky, fight movie you could consider. This movie is a Rush. Go see it. No other movie this past year gets a 4/4 except this one.Should get best picture/director/actor, but it won't. This is an awesome movie that I saw twice last year and the images (eating testicles) stick with me still today. Gibson really knows how to ramp up the violence! This is pure adrenaline, better than any Rocky, fight movie you could consider. This movie is a Rush. Go see it. No other movie this past year gets a 4/4 except this one. Don't believe the hype about the violence. It's not THAT bad. I've seen worse. Excellent film! Expand
  27. FreddsyD.
    Jan 26, 2007
    Action masterpiece!
  28. BillJ.
    Jan 3, 2007
    This movie was absolutely fantastic. It drew me into the film in the beginning with humor and it led to a very adrenaline pumping experience.
  29. MiklosP.
    Jan 5, 2007
    Really excellent. Violent and bloody, may not be for everyone - Mel overdoes it again a little bit, but overall a great achievement and a compelling, entertaining movie.
  30. Hardish
    Jan 6, 2007
    This was an intense rollercoaster cinematic experience. How times have changed--20 years ago this would've possibly been classed as a mondo movie (probably with smaller production values and banned) and even 10 years ago in the UK this movie would've seen censor cuts before a cinema release. Yes, it's violent and gory but Gibson is one of them rare directors who is not This was an intense rollercoaster cinematic experience. How times have changed--20 years ago this would've possibly been classed as a mondo movie (probably with smaller production values and banned) and even 10 years ago in the UK this movie would've seen censor cuts before a cinema release. Yes, it's violent and gory but Gibson is one of them rare directors who is not afraid to tell a story so real, that as an audience member, I was pretty much living the experience on the screen. Beautiful, uncomprimising and emotional on many levels. Expand

Gibson has made a film of blunt provocation and bruising beauty.
  2. The guy knows how to make a heart-pounding movie; he just happens to be a cinematic sadist.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Mel Gibson is always good for a surprise, and his latest is that Apocalypto is a remarkable film. Set in the waning days of the Mayan civilization, the picture provides a trip to a place one's never been before, offering hitherto unseen sights of exceptional vividness and power.