4.7

1. Jul 30, 2012
    This was a surprisingly good movie, considering the negative reviews. Then again, I'm not a horror fan so I might not know something others know. Still I enjoyed it and I'm rating it accordingly.
  2. Sep 6, 2011
    I liked Apollo 18 because it makes me think of old (re: 1950s) era SF short stories. However I'd been anticipating the film for the better part of a year so when I finally saw it, I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed, but then again, this isn't going to be 2001; just a SF thriller on the moon and it that respect, it's a good little film.
  3. Sep 4, 2011
    Apollo 18 is a great example of a decent sci fi thriller that doesn't drag on, doesn't bore you with ineffectual CGI special effects and has a couple great jump moments. Why all the haters??
  4. Sep 3, 2011
    If you liked found footage movies a-la Paranormal Activity and close, isolated atmospheric movies like Moon, you will enjoy Apollo 18. there's not a lot of new ground broken here, but it is an enjoyable experience for those with the correct mindset. I liked it on the basis of the above.
  5. Sep 5, 2011
    I feel it was just a good movie. I doubt it's real but still well thought out plot with a predictable ending. I don't understand why people have told me this movie is slow paced. I mean 10 min in they they are already on the moon. There were a couple great jump scenes i have to say!
  6. Sep 5, 2011
    If you grew up watching the Apollo moon landings, and liked episodes of Night Gallery then you should enjoy this film. I watched it with my ten year old and watched him pull down his cap bill during the "strobe scenes". He claimed it didn't scare him a bit. I know he was lying.
  7. Sep 15, 2011
    small rip off of paranormal, but only in camera POV, and paranormal is not the first to do that. original story, original aliens, effective use of pop outs and weird, creepy, isolated feeling all throughout. whats worse than getting attacked by camouflage aliens.. them attacking you on the moon with 0 help. if you can get aside from a bit of un realism then its great. its the movie thatsmall rip off of paranormal, but only in camera POV, and paranormal is not the first to do that. original story, original aliens, effective use of pop outs and weird, creepy, isolated feeling all throughout. whats worse than getting attacked by camouflage aliens.. them attacking you on the moon with 0 help. if you can get aside from a bit of un realism then its great. its the movie that makes kids not want to be astronauts anymore. Collapse
  8. Oct 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you want to see a found footage film in space, check out "Apollo 18". This film delivers more chills and some best performances from the actors who play the Astronauts, and a very eerie setting for the film. Expand
  9. Nov 1, 2011
    Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed this film. It had it's creepy moments and it was quite enjoyable. But unfortunately, it wasn't scary and was a bit slow.
  10. Sep 2, 2011
    I'm very confused on why this movie gets such low reviews, when Don't be afraid of the dark had a 50 score. This movie was one of the best films i have seen in a long time. The movie isn't crowded with jumpscares and over the top childish-gore, it instead focused on a conspiracy story and it was a really good story too. The only bad thing I can think off is that the so called "aliens"I'm very confused on why this movie gets such low reviews, when Don't be afraid of the dark had a 50 score. This movie was one of the best films i have seen in a long time. The movie isn't crowded with jumpscares and over the top childish-gore, it instead focused on a conspiracy story and it was a really good story too. The only bad thing I can think off is that the so called "aliens" arent really that surprising and there was still some things that I thought they might have forgot to explain. You will know what im talking about when you see it. Seriously though, I feel as if some people have just lost taste in Entertainment. Expand
  11. Sep 4, 2011
    I want to say that it wasn't the best movie, like it could have went more in depth with it's characters and what not. But then again you have to consider it's made up of a series of tapes that they apparently got. Giving a real sci fi "what if" feel to it. Sure, rock crabs, that's completely stupid. But why are we thinking aliens are going to be not stupid in some sort of way. They won'tI want to say that it wasn't the best movie, like it could have went more in depth with it's characters and what not. But then again you have to consider it's made up of a series of tapes that they apparently got. Giving a real sci fi "what if" feel to it. Sure, rock crabs, that's completely stupid. But why are we thinking aliens are going to be not stupid in some sort of way. They won't be our "normal" or our "advanced". So it was a real release to what normal movies are now a days. For example, I'll watch this movie 20 more times before watching one Paranormal Activity. It was cool, the editing was great, the story was pretty good, and most of all it wasn't a clone of everything currently out there. Thinking outside the box for the win guys. Expand
  12. Sep 9, 2011
    I'd probably give it a 7.5, but am rounding up to 8. Really don't understand the critical thrashing this movie is receiving. It's actually pretty well-made, given the budget and all. The deal-breaker for everyone seems to be the "threat". When it is revealed, you will either find it rather original and go with it, or think it's the most ridiculous thing you ever heard and wish theyI'd probably give it a 7.5, but am rounding up to 8. Really don't understand the critical thrashing this movie is receiving. It's actually pretty well-made, given the budget and all. The deal-breaker for everyone seems to be the "threat". When it is revealed, you will either find it rather original and go with it, or think it's the most ridiculous thing you ever heard and wish they had done little green men, and the film will lose you.

The filmmakers were really stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. Still, much better film then ANYONE seems to want to give it credit for.
  13. Sep 27, 2011
    APOLLO 18 has it's creepy moments, but even though the film is slow, it still entertains and keeps you watching. Although, I thought the ending was predictable and could've been better. The film was better than I thought it would be.
  14. Sep 7, 2011
    It was a decent movie. It was slow at some parts. But the overall story was interesting. I don't know why people compare it to Paranormal Activity. It's a different movie, different story, and different antagonist.
  15. Sep 15, 2011
    The formula used in this movie is that similar to The Blair witch project and Paranormal activity. It starts with the typical "everything you see in this movie is real documented footage and blah blah" Of course most of the audience watching knows this isn't true, so I don't really know why the directors bother to put something like that in movies in the first place anymore. I guess it'sThe formula used in this movie is that similar to The Blair witch project and Paranormal activity. It starts with the typical "everything you see in this movie is real documented footage and blah blah" Of course most of the audience watching knows this isn't true, so I don't really know why the directors bother to put something like that in movies in the first place anymore. I guess it's used in an attempt to immerse the crowd watching the movie but after awhile it just starts feeling silly. To my disappointment, most of the movie wasn't shown in full screen. This is obviously due to the supposed cameras used back in the 70's, imitated by the director to further have the crowd believe everything seen is real. It's just disappointing to go to the theater and see the movie not take full advantage of the screen. The length of the movie was a bit on the short side and most of the people watching seemed bored out of their minds until the last half of the movie. I feel that the start of the movie had the plot moving to fast, which sort of made for a rough start. The plot wasn't exactly stellar either, it was pretty generic in the sense that you have astronauts out in space, encountering alien life forms and somehow getting "infected" by them, like seriously guys? How many times do we have to see this same old plot re-used? Despite the movies flaws, it did have it's moments, specifically the moments where it would make you jump in fear. The acting was good, the special effects were great for the budget it had and by the end of the movie I was satisfied with what I've seen. We watch movies for enjoyment and this movie gave me enough enjoyment to feel that I got my monies worth. Expand
  16. Feb 2, 2013
    In 1972, the Department of Defense launches Apollo 18 on a secret mission to the moon. Objective: Unknown. Its crew would never return. Nearly 30 years later, their footage has been found. If you aren't already a fan of the "found-footage" genre, APOLLO 18 is unlikely to change that fact, but for anyone who enjoys watching in horror through the shaky first-person perspective of the cameraIn 1972, the Department of Defense launches Apollo 18 on a secret mission to the moon. Objective: Unknown. Its crew would never return. Nearly 30 years later, their footage has been found. If you aren't already a fan of the "found-footage" genre, APOLLO 18 is unlikely to change that fact, but for anyone who enjoys watching in horror through the shaky first-person perspective of the camera will find this to be another fresh new take on the format. Director Gonzalo López-Gallego has taken great care in making every scene feel authentic by properly aging the footage and dressing down the technology to fit the early 1970's. The cramped space station and craterous moon setting add the the believability, and allow for a suspension of disbelief as we travel alongside the cosmonauts in zero-gravity. While this particular style does lend credibility to the plot, it is also cause for a lot of expected slow-downs in the pace, with the action being spread thin throughout the entire run-time. Fear and paranoia do set in much like in THE THING once the men discover that there is life on other worlds. An interesting use of the format to be sure, APOLLO 18 nevertheless reaches the limit of its own high concept quickly as the audience eagerly awaits any signs of life from the film. -Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  17. Jul 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a different kind of horror. It does not rely on gore and cheap jump scares to illicit fright from viewers. It does not use the "omnipresent serial killer/ demon" trope so many movies are content to recycle. Rather, it puts two men in a location that is familiar to them (they are astronauts, after all), then watches as **** hits the fan and they are hunted by beings whose nature is never explained. To make matters worse, the government they have been trusting basically flips them off and refuses to rescue them because they have already fulfilled their purpose. Tension is slowly built up, culminating in a scenario that generates true horror. And found footage isn't a gimmick, it is a genre of film! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Sep 8, 2011
    This isn't at all scary, but the rough images can be weirdly compelling, the movie's conspiratorial jive enhanced by the fact that the lunar surface looks like someone's backyard.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Sep 8, 2011
    The real tension of the piece lies in the sound design, with its layering of heavy breaths, inexplicably compromised frequencies, and invasive thwackings of no known origin to the ship hull.
  3. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Sep 7, 2011
    Whatever merits the production values have, the cheap frights don't deliver, the performers bring no pathos and the gimmick behind Apollo 18 flat out does not work.