5.7

1. JohnC.
    Feb 12, 2009
    Its a good old fashion western. I loved it.
  2. BEEsnider
    Jul 18, 2009
    Great Cinematography, acting was superb, I have a feeling most people did not understand much of the story but hey, it's their loss.
  3. scarpyO.
    Oct 6, 2008
    Believable and likable characters with a great blend of humor, violence and a great unpredictable ending. Can't remember a western this enjoyable.
  4. AnnB.
    Oct 4, 2008
    The story line wasn't exactly "new," but the film was beautifully shot and the acting was good. We liked seeing an "old fashioned" Western. But, hey, couldn't they have found an American to play Bragg instead of Jeremy Irons, who was good, but his accent left something to be desired.
  5. BartJ.
    Sep 21, 2008
    A good old-fashioned western.
  6. BitBurn
    Jan 4, 2009
    Not that bad. Storyline holds up well, well acted. Lacks a bit action scenes though.
  7. JudyT
    Oct 3, 2008
    Appaloosa is an okay western and an okay movie. It's a great character study in Virigil and Everett. Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen are great to watch. In the end though Viggo's part is written much better. His rendition of Everett Hitch makes it worth the money.
  8. hughiec
    Sep 17, 2008
    Exciting and quietly funny. Mortensen and Harris are great. Zellwegger pretty good too.
  9. JaredC.
    Sep 18, 2008
    2008's No Country for Old Men, but what it should've got in the reviews. Personally No Country's over rated. But damn, is Appaloosa is what Unforgiven fans and western lovers like.
  10. SimonH.
    Sep 29, 2008
    A welcome return to the western - Fantastic cast, great character relationships, some of the tensest scenes I can ever remember watching - highly recommended.
  11. JayH.
    Jan 13, 2009
    Solid western, well directed and the actors are ideally cast. Fine attention to period detail, great cinematography, fine score, good art direction. A traditional western made with modern flair.
  12. Jan 6, 2013
    The story focuses on the relationship between Cole and Hitch, and what affect the (rather flighty) Mrs Fitch has on it. I actually quite liked this aspect of the plot; it gave the characters some realism, something that many westerns lack. All the performances from the main cast were excellent; in particular Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen, who takes the prize for the best beard andThe story focuses on the relationship between Cole and Hitch, and what affect the (rather flighty) Mrs Fitch has on it. I actually quite liked this aspect of the plot; it gave the characters some realism, something that many westerns lack. All the performances from the main cast were excellent; in particular Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen, who takes the prize for the best beard and moustache combo I Expand
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    Appaloosa is one of my favorite westerns ever made (along with Unforgiven and Shane). The cinematography is beautiful, the acting is fantastic and the gun-play is exciting. It also has one of the best climactic quick-draws in movie history. from start to finish, Appaloosa is western perfection.

1. A fine dramatic comedy with fresh characters, witty dialogue and a keen interest in how relationships must have developed among frontier folks, tyrannical ranchers, no-nonsense lawmen and -- oh, yes -- the complicated women on that frontier.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Harris' first directorial outing since his impressive and entirely different "Pollock" biopic bears echoes of many genre predecessors, especially Howard Hawks' "Rio Bravo" -- but echoes they remain.
  3. Reviewed by: Chuck Wilson
    Harris and his collaborators are playing it straight with a timeless male fantasy--horse, hat, six-shooter--a traditional approach that will please moviegoers like my dad and yours.