7.8

1. Jul 17, 2014
    This is a well done film by Ben Affleck who gives sharp direction and acting to this movie. It's triumphant and thrilling. Great performances from Affleck, Cranston, Alda, Goodman and the supporting cast
  2. May 25, 2014
    So this is my first film that i have watched that Ben Affleck has directed. Though i do own the town i have not watched it yet. But now after watching this movie i will now have to find the time to watch that and also gone baby gone. So this film is about the 1979 true story of the rescue of six American's from Iran, while most the film has a really gritty serious tone as it should they do seem to place some dark humor in it... well as much as they could.

The whole cast sold it from the start Ben Affleck/Alan Arkin/John Goodman/Bryan Cranston all just killed it but for me Alan Arkin stole the show everytime the guy is on the screen he steals it. The last half hour of the movie was so intense it's crazy pulse pounding nail biting tension i have not had that felling while watching a movie in some time well maybe just not to that extent. Now i can see how this film won best picture at the Oscars this year. Also i'm a bit mad at myself for not watching this film while it was still in theaters.

A great film that everyone should at least take the time to give it a watch i don't regret watching it Overall i give this movie an 8.5

Oh Yeah Argo F**K Youself =D
  3. May 11, 2014
    Interesting start
    Then comes abrupt stall somewhere between Hollywood and BBC
    So many usual hardships like divorced hero with a Son in shared custody far far away
    People do strange thing under duress but I am sure it wasn't like n this movie when embassy opens its doors because some officer wanted to reason with hostagetakers
    Couldn't bear it
    4 only
  4. Apr 16, 2014
    Cuando empece a verla en un principio me convenció, pero conforme avanza la historia se vuelve muy comercial con muchos tintes patrióticos, la verdad no sentí que los personajes estuvieran en un verdadero peligro, rescato los últimos minutos cuando están a punto de subir del avión, en donde agarra tensión, pero eso nada mas, ni la trama socio-política es muy buena, eso si tiene un buen montaje. Expand
  5. Apr 12, 2014
    Argo F#&K Yourself is all this movie is telling the audience literally. Im probably being biased, but this movie is really boring and slow. for an academy nominated movie it sure sucked, i woke up during the Arabs arguing in Arabic, and throwing stuff at each other. So i turned it off an watched Seinfeld. i love Cramer.
  6. Apr 7, 2014
    Ben Affleck's swift, skillful direction - including a fantastic opening sequence - fails to disguise the fact that "Argo" lacks any real style or substance, offering instead bland characterizations and caper cliches, not to mention gross historical inaccuracies that make this "epic" perilously close to a fabrication.
  7. Mar 18, 2014
    I don't understand why this has such great reviews. It was a boring as all hell patriotic American BS movie that drags along until the end. Boring story.
  8. Mar 13, 2014
    Very tense and very well done. The directing was perfect to make the situation as tense and intense as it truly was. It was very entertaining and very interesting. However nothing about the film seemed particularly innovative or new. A good film, yes. Best picture worthy, questionable.
  9. Mar 8, 2014
    The buildup was a bit slow, but once it gets going, it's just awesome. It's thrilling, suspenseful, and well-directed. I mean, just think about the dialogue and the acting, and this movie really stands out.
  10. Feb 6, 2014
    Argo is for all intensive purposes one of the most over hyped films in quite sometime and given the fact that it is on the edge of being propaganda one can quickly realize why. While I applaud Afflek's continuing development as a director. This work aside from his direction is sub-par at best. Like all based on a true story films it is extremely loosely based, but the sheer fact that it is based on reality robs the movie of all suspense. Reality is fine for docudrama's but reality in terms of suspense is quite dull. Argo is a film that needs you to leave your brain at the door and hopes that you know not of things like history or something other ethnic stereotypes. From an entertainment standpoint that is usually a good choice in any film, check out and buy into what they are selling. However from a technical standpoint it creates films that falter.
    On Entertainment value I would give it a 7.5
    On the Poe Scale however it gets a 6.5

Acting: 1/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 1.5/2
    Writing: 1.5/2
  11. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must say this movie is just amazing.
    I did not know about the Canadian Caper incident but now i know more than anything.

This is Ben Affleck's Masterpiece and it is breathtaking.
    Ben plays the master of disguise Tony Mendez and is quite a performance.
    Every actor especially who plays the trapped civialians are truly good.
    no wonder it has won an Oscar for Best movie and Best Adapted screenplay

Tense,dark,gloomy,clever and occasionally funny,
    it is so entertaining and not too long
    you would wonder how short it was.

Alan Arkin really makes us laugh with his clever jokes .
    Cinematography is top-notch.
    The locations,sets and everything about this movie is so great.
    The climax is incredible so are the credits.

R.I.P the victims and Praise the lord who sent a real hero to save those people and all the people who were on this case helping them.

In Nutshell,Argo is masterpiece of modern film making.
    it makes us so happy so you cannot resist without saying "Argo f**k yourself.
  12. Dec 14, 2013
    The third movie in direction for Ben Affleck brings the world of old fashioned thriller movie into 2012 which is about 6 Americans trapped in Iraq ,the movie is outstanding directing ,acting great script is just WOW!
  13. Dec 14, 2013
    Argo balances suspense with fun and entertainment very well despite its slow pace. Although it falls short on expectations, it's old-school feel and tension escalates it from falling flat.
  14. Oct 18, 2013
    Especially I won't forget the escape scene with aircraft from Iran. I feel the operation Argo, I feel like I am in this Argo operation now. It impressed me, I feel some complicated feels but this film is in my hits.
  15. Oct 4, 2013
    horrible display of american propaganda apart of that stiff very slow moving plot and uninteresting characters. Dont recommend it to anyone.
    Dont watch it but looks like no one has anyways judging by the number of rating this picture got.
  16. Sep 24, 2013
    Not a bad film at all, does not fail to build massive tension throughout the end... but i was disappointed due the fact that this ends up in typical exaggerated american style "we are the good guys and we always win".

It's great that they make films about historic events, but i think it's just an absolutely onesided view of events.
  17. Sep 22, 2013
    Argo is a true story, so it`s amazing, but did not make for a great movie for me. It`s interesting, but did not blow me away, and I wouldn`t care much for it if it was all made up. I did find it watchable, and worth finishing for the movie rush at the end.
  18. Sep 21, 2013
    One of a kind movie! Ben Affleck does a great job directing and portraying the main character. You hold your breath every step of the way until the end. It's unbelievable that it was based on a true CIA story. It's a real life Mission Impossible. The movie contains every detail from the characters to the era fashion. Clean movie and historic film for the family to watch, no profanity or nudity.
  19. Aug 27, 2013
    There should be restrictions on the use of the expression "Based on a true story" because in this case, lies far surpass what really happened. This movie represents everything that is shameful about American narcissism. This work has twisted the facts in favor of the U.S. image without respect for those who risked more than their reputations. I know it is a product of hollywood not considered a documentary, but if the goal is creating a fanciful story, it is better to let history undefiled. Finally, it is surprising that so many have acknowledged the work with so little knowledge (newspapers, academy awards).
    Canada, non-revolutionary Iranians, New-Zealand had way more to do with the results than Tony Mendez.
  20. Aug 23, 2013
    The idea is profoundly astonishing, and the reality that these events were reality, were even more astonishing. It's only downfall, unfortunately, is its bias towards the Americans. In general, I admire Ben Affleck as a director and producer, as well as John Goodman and Alan Arkin for the laughs they bring into the movie. The fake suspension makes the movie less banal, and for that I contemplate whether I like or hate it. Expand
  21. Aug 7, 2013
    A movie with some definite potential that didn't quite make it. There were some great scenes mixed in with some average which left me disappointed.

Seemed very much a US propaganda piece that bastardized actual events. Are all middle-eastern men inherently evil? Are all American men misunderstood heros? The movie gave me this impression, from a non-partisan point of view it left a
    bitter taste.. especially with the perpetual war-hungry state the USA seems to be in. Congratulating the CIA? I think i need a shower.

Some good cinematography and sets. Good acting in parts although i felt the movie dwelt on Affleck's character & the fake Hollywood studio too much.. the comedy moments seemed forced.
  22. Aug 5, 2013
    Argo 8/10.............................................................................................................................................
  23. Jul 30, 2013
    This movie was thrilling and an interesting story to be told in the form of film. Performances by the actors were incredibly convincing and the film was fantastically directed. Being unfamiliar with the subject matter however led to my disappointment when I realized the the movie made some changes from the original events. This was mainly to make the movie more tense, especially near the end of the movie, but alot of changes were made to increase the role of america in the event and diminish Canada's role and leave out the roles of countries like the UK and New Zealand completely. Overall if you ignore the fact that the movie is historically inaccurate then you've got a tense, enjoyable movie Expand
  24. Jul 29, 2013
    "Gone Baby Gone," "The Town," and now "Argo," Ben Affleck scores a hat trick with three acclaimed films that exhibit his impressive command behind the camera. Producing the film with George Clooney and Grat Heslov, who worked with Mr. Affleck for the award winning "Good Night, and Good Luck,” (2005) "Argo" is also based on history, with its fair share of dramatic license, that uniquely incorporates Hollywood during the tumultuous times of the Iran hostage crisis of the late 70's to early 80's.

“Argo” opens with a compelling re-creation of the takeover of the U.S. Embassy in Iran by militant students. It's November 4, 1979 and the world is about to change. Civilians force their way into the Embassy slowly, then, once the gates are forced open, in droves. Employees and diplomats rush to shred and incinerate all sensitive material before the building is completely overtaken. Six of them Bob Anders (Tate Donovan), Lee Schatz (Rory Cochrane), Mark and Cora Lijek (Christopher Denham and Clea DuVall), and Joe and Kathy Stafford (Scoot McNairy and Kerry Bishe) escape and make it to the residence of Canadian ambassador Ken Taylor (Victor Garber), where they are hidden for nearly 3 months.

The State Department, helped by the CIA, decides to mount a rescue mission. By mid-January, concerns are rising that, if the diplomats aren't smuggled out of Iran, they may be captured and publicly executed. The Canadian government, concerned about the safety of the ambassador and his staff, is also applying pressure. CIA director Jack O'Donnell (Bryan Cranston) calls in agent Tony Mendez (Affleck), an infiltration expert, to devise a plan to get the six people out. The primary problem is that there is no viable reason why a half-dozen North Americans would be wandering Tehran. With the help of Hollywood make-up artist John Chambers (John Goodman) and producer Lester Siegel (Alan Arkin), Tony establishes a fake production company for a cheesy sci-fi movie called “Argo,” and devises a cover story that will hopefully allow them to pass through security at the airport and board a Swiss Air flight.

“Argo,” is directed with flair and style by an admired actor/director, and as a period recreation it is just about flawless. There is a notable lack of on-screen bloodshed or violence, confident in its compelling story to invoke edge-of-your-seat tension. The movie has a surprisingly celebratory, feel-good tone rather than dwelling on any political overtones or commentary. The film is made to resemble something coming out of that era, integrating archive footage that lends authenticity to the retelling of the "Canadian Caper.”

A closing-credits side-by-side montage shows to what lengths Affleck has gone to re-create the real-life places and people of "Argo,” and its his impressive command behind the camera the staging, editing, and the calibrated progression of the story, especially its harrowing final moments that solidifies Mr. Affleck as a talented and formidable director. "Argo" deserves to find the discerning audience it has been made for: After all, if we buy tickets, it hopefully leads to more intelligent, sophisticated filmmaking.
  25. Jul 25, 2013
    how the critics gave this movie an 8 out of 10 is beyond me! i guess critics are into incredibly bland movies or they must've got paid to give this movie a high score! this movie drags; the dialogue is uninteresting, the pace drags, there is no suspense or thrills! the only thrill i got was the beginning of the movie and when theyre riding through the crowd of angry israel's! other than that though this movie was bland, dry, and devoid of any suspense or thrills! the only reason why im not giving this turd bomb a 0 out of 10 is because the popcorn they gave me at the theatre was damn good! i got more entertainment hearing the crunch of the popcorn as i chewed it! i got more entertainment out playing with my thumbs!

3 out of 10!

the only postives i can give this movie is the beginning, the bus ride, and the popcorn i had while watching the movie! send this piece of back to the vagabonds of hell from whence it came from!
  26. Jul 23, 2013
    I liked Argo. In fact I even bought it on DVD. It's a very well made movie and it's entertaining. Afleck directs it with attention to detail and the story is rendered with a well written screenplay. The acting is solid from all of the cast and there are some tense and exciting moments. It also has a very authentic 70's feel, even utilizing vintage styled cinematography at times. All of that being said, I still found it to be very overrated. Yes there are some tense moments, but I wished there were even more, and the ones in the film, except for the beginning, could have been even tenser, seeing what Afleck did with The Town. The car chase at the end felt fake for some reason and some other scenes felt kinda flat too. Yes it's overall a good movie and another success for Afleck, but I don't think it deserved best picture. I think it should have went to Zero Dark Thirty, or Django Unchained, even though they had slimmer chances of winning than the hostages had of making it out alive. Expand
  27. Jul 4, 2013
    A triumphant piece of cinema. Argo consists of tension, sincerity, mystery, artistic responsibility, entertainment value, technical expertise, cinematography that seems like eye candy to the viewers and starling performances delivered by a cast of breakthrough actors. After years of experience in the movie world, I think Affleck has finally given us his masterpiece. This is a near flawless film given to us with an old-school espionage thrill ride with a truly flawless script along with dialogue that offers us with many memorable quotes and sarcastic and witty comedic relief. Every actor on screen does his or her job but there were three supporting actors that stole the every scene they were in: Bryan Cranston, Alan Arkin and John Goodman. A film worth remembering. Expand
  28. Jul 3, 2013
    Amazing, well acted, well directed, gorgeous, breathtaking, suspenseful, amazing, well shot, wonderfully executed, and the list goes on and on. Argo, is a truly unique story and what makes it more unique is that all the events in the film actually happened. Argo is gold! A cinematic experience that will keep you at the edge of your seat the entire time. Its good old fashioned suspenseful excitement that is complete eye candy. I guarantee that ANYONE who watches this movie will enjoy it in any way, shape or form. Go watch Argo! Expand
  29. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautiful film that was nailed to the people, because this movie was made about my country.
    I had got a movie.
    Oscar was really the writing life.
    Mr. Affleck hurt.
    Blowing hot
  30. Jun 15, 2013
    Argo manages to make an American movie without losing the essence of its context or the main depiction of the history. It's simple, easy to follow and understand, requires no previous knowledge or anything. But perhaps this is the problem; whilst it's straightforward it lacks in depth, and the two hour run-time is slightly too long given how predictable it is and how little goes on in it. There's almost no suspense until the last half an hour, and the bits before are practically oversized fillers. Still a good film but either needs to be more concise or have more content or action for it to be a great one. Expand
  31. Jun 4, 2013
    "No question and hands down one of the best films of this year. Argo is an award contender that's for sure. With Affleck's fantastic direction and an amazing in depth story. Argo is a movie were going to be talking about for years and years to come." A+
  32. May 18, 2013
    In the end, this was kind of underwhelming. The performances are fine (although Affleck doesn't do much aside from looking glum), the recreation of the events using real footage is excellently done, and the story is quite compelling, but the problem is with the script. Dialogue tends toward cliche at times and the moments of tension feel overly manufactured. The film is strongest in its opening sequence as the hostage crisis unfolds, and in the scenes shared with John Goodman and Alan Arkin who have a lot of fun with their roles. The ending lays on the 'America Always Triumphs' adage pretty thick; it's easy to see how it won Best Film at the Oscars. Solid, if uninspiring. Expand
  33. May 12, 2013
    Argo is an intense thriller with almost no shots fired or over-the-top action. And the fact that it all actually happend makes it even more intense. The humor is great, the cast is brilliant, the shots look good, it all makes this movie so enjoyeble to watch. I highly recommend Argo, one of the best films of 2012!
  34. May 11, 2013
    as most people i was over-excited to watch argo because my all time favorite movies are the ones based on true stories the movie have a good reputation an Oscar for best picture and add-in the fact that i love the movies directed by ben affleck so was the excitement worth it unfortunately no the movie is good not great and it have so many elements missing first of all it is one of the best Rescues in U.S history that we know of so it have to be intense but the fact that it's not intense only in a few scenes far away from eachother with some cold acting by ben affleck and not even a single intense acting scene and the fact that there isn't a soundtrack until the second half of the movie makes you disconnect from the story every 10 minutes i mean it's pretty obvious giving that ben affleck didn't recieve an Oscar for best directing because of these missing elements that made the movie a little bit disappointing but i give a pledge to the movie for showing real events with characters as exact as the real people and shine a light on those people because of what they have gone through. Expand
  35. May 10, 2013
    Compared to the book basis is laughable, but with cinematographic look is very interesting, because its narrative line is modern and funny, but knows how to be serious and rough, the dialogues are otimos especially when the topic is holiwood, the second best thing is the performance of Alan Arkin, who gives a satirical tone in the dialogues, another very interesting thing is the accuracy of the portrayal of facts acontecidos.Esse film proves that Ben Afleck can indeed perform well and drive good shape. Expand
  36. May 8, 2013
    Argo makes all the right moves and deviates greatly from what is expected from such a serious situation as the the Iranian hostage crisis.
    Ben Affleck continues his commanding streak as director and lead actor, he takes on a film based on a true story, and what a story it is. Affleck plays Tony Mendez, a CIA operative whose speciality is exfiltration, and when he is brought in to the fold
    after six embassy workers in Iran escape, he must devise a plan to safely rescue them from Iranian rule. This plan has of course went down in history, whether for its riskiness, stupidity or genius is anyone's guess.
    Mendez himself carries out the task, an elaborate plan is set in motion where he, and the six people he plans to rescue, are a film crew who are location scouting in Iran, they all have fake identities and Argo proves that everything is about detail, a fake script, storyboard, marketing tools and even press involvement for a film that will never actually exist, simply for the fact that getting in is not the problem, but getting out is a whole different story.
    There are plenty of colourful characters that light up this wonderful thriller, Alan Arkin, John Goodman and Bryan Cranston join Affleck in creating a very nostalgic and peak into the world of 1970s operations. Arkins portrayal of Lester Siegel is brilliant and one of the highlights of the film, while Affleck perfectly captures the dad in Mendez, who just wants to be with his family. Of course the the real winning formula of the film is the ludicrous idea of the fake movie to get in and out of Iran, and Argo (which is also what the fake film is called) manages to give a realistic and nerve-wracking account of just how difficult and frightening it was to be an American with the the boundaries of Iran, something we are shown as the credits role, when various screens from the film are put against the real images taken all those years ago.
    Diretor Affleck continues to surpass all expectations and is truly solidifying himself as one of the most talented and sought after directors in our generation, is ability to to take various pivotal moments within a character and create a rousing and entertaining story are becoming unmatched, he has taken a very serious crisis and managed to create a often humorous yet thrilling affair, with a final act that will definitely leave you at the edge of your seat, time is indeed of the essence.
    If any film deserved Oscar recognition, it was Argo, its taste for nostalgia while taking on a subject that only became declassified almost 20 years after the crisis. It is a true blend of genres that has created a winning film through and through.
  37. Apr 27, 2013
    A shocking movie full good quality Actors and Actions Magnificent like Goodman and Alan Arkin Jhon without removing the Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston keeps you in the seat expectant that happen in the movie is full of stress and Action
  38. Apr 20, 2013
    Truth by chance. That is what Argo is. What Ben Affleck did is he took a really really awkward 'true' story and made a goddamn movie with it. So, it's rather funny how more serious things are portrayed in this film with true transparency and real ease. What more to say? You have to spend 120 minutes of your life being spellbound or damned by watching this. And only then you'll probably can decide whether to kiss me or to shoot me. Well, I might answer, 'Argo, damn yourself!' (They don't wanna let me write what I actually want to.) Expand
  39. Apr 11, 2013
    The movie is very overrated, and I believe because Ben Affleck did a multitasking job, which I respect, but not enough to swipe nearly every Best Film category. The film lacked the opportunity given by having one of the greatest casts of 2012 and Ben Affleck seemed to shine himself, which wouldn't have been a major issue if he actually brought great emotion to his role, which was needed but never really delivered. Not considering the multiple awards, I did enjoy the film and it's colorful characters aside from Ben Affleck's. Expand
  40. Apr 9, 2013
    It felt like the movie started out a little slow. But, that feeling went away pretty quickly.

Argo is easily one of the best movies of 2012. Ben Affleck, John Goodman, Bryan Cranston and the rest of the crew deliver an Oscar-worthy performance.
  41. Apr 6, 2013
    Argo is absolutely incredible. I have never had encountered so much suspense in a single movie. The plot was splendid, the acting was amazing, and the plan of Tony Mendez was crazy. I felt that this movie was very serious, but had sets of comic relief, with Lester and John Chambers. Overall, this movie has soared into being one of my favorite movies and I suggest everyone should check it out.
  42. Apr 6, 2013
    Beautifully made with all everything from the costumes to the technology accurate to a tee. I loved the way the film was intercut with archive news footage of the time; this really gave the audience a sense of the world at that juncture. All the performances were excellent with Ben Affleck taking centre stage, but I really enjoyed seeing Alan Arkin as a Hollywood producer; he stole it for me! There was real tension towards the end of the film; it slowly builds for quite a long time and I found that quite masterful. It’s something that has been missing from many Hollywood films for a long time now but Affleck seems to have rediscovered the art. Because it‘s a film based in real events, there’s little time for character development and I think it suffers slightly because of it. Other than that, it has some interesting songs on the soundtrack and it’s well worth a look!

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.6/10
  43. Apr 3, 2013
    THE BEST movie since Gladiator (2000)!!! All those tension, all those mystery, with some good humor...
    highly recommended!!!
  44. Apr 2, 2013
    Argo is tense and exciting with well written characters. The recognizable names help push it to greater heights. I give this film 83%.
  45. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. More should have happened in this movie. It doesn't seem that way at first glance, but....don't you feel like they should have been questioned more and had more intense moments? In the second half of the movie I was prepared to handle a bunch of vigorous interrigations, but it just didn't happen. One single questioning period at the end is all that really stuck out. Anyways besides that one complaint it was a good show throughout. Expand
  46. Apr 1, 2013
    This year's top films: Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln, Argo. Without comparison, Argo is a fine film. Tension is high, story is strong, and acting all around is good. With comparison however, I'm afraid it just doesn't measure up with Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty. I'm afraid Argo got the "pity vote" this year......but I suppose it still pays the bills, right Ben? A win is a win.
  47. Mar 31, 2013
    I went into watching Argo with an open mind as I was unfamiliar with the subject matter. I decided to watch it due to its high rating. All I can say is that I'm glad I gave it a try. With Argo you get an intelligent thriller packed with plenty of suspense and tension (particularly the last 30 minutes). All the main cast put on solid performances Affleck was good, but I felt John Goodman was excellent in the limited screen time that he had). The plot is good and it unfolds at an even pace, I didn't feel that there were any scenes that were dragged out for too long. My only gripe was the airport chase scene towards the end which I felt was totally unrealistic.

Having said that, I would say Argo is still highly recommended viewing. Enjoy!
  48. Mar 31, 2013
    Despite some historical inaccuracies and having a pro-American approach, this is a fast paced political thriller which also has some moments of comedy (from Alan Arkin in one of his best roles) under the direction of star Ben Affleck who has now become something of a pro at making edge-of-your-seat movies. One of the best of 2012.
  49. Mar 31, 2013
    A very mediocre piece of U.S patriotic drama. That the film took out the Oscar for Best Picture is a sad reflection on the dim witted fervour of The Academy. Despite an honest opening sequence that attempts to give some sketch of the destructive involvement of the CIA in Iran, the film plunges straight into an overt juxtaposition of idyllic American civilisation and the barbarism of the middle east that is rife and disturbing. The vilification of the Iranian people and the shallow representation of the context of the tragic circumstances destroys the integrity of the film on all levels.
    There are some acute performances in small places, but with Affleck on screen most of the time, everything is rendered pretty flat and monochrome. Shocker.
  50. Mar 30, 2013
    I was completely surprised by this movie. I thought it was going to be dull, but every line spoken is either interesting or funny. Very suspenseful. Must watch!
  51. Mar 30, 2013
    Argo has been praised by both critics and audience alike. Bit surprisingly, as despite being better than average political thriller it is difficult to believe it would be looked back as Oscar-winning classic. It has inaccuracies and dramatizations which have too much of a scripted feel, given the story is based on real events.
  52. Mar 29, 2013
    If I were to criticize the film I’d have to say is that it was overrated. It was good but it was not that good. I quite honestly was not invested the whole time only at certain parts. Maybe this is not my kind of film. Maybe I’m just not used to the style. I don’t know for whatever reason the movie did not suck me in the way it did lots of critics. Frequently in the film I was bored. I don’t know if the characters and story were not interesting, if it was the amount of dialogue; but for whatever reason I just thought it was good. Maybe if the film took more liberties from the actual event by creating false events to create more tension and excitement, the actors gave stronger performances, and the script a little tighter I would have really enjoyed this film; but as it is the film is just good. Way too overrated by critics if you ask me. Expand
  53. Mar 29, 2013
    IF this movie is an 8 and frankly I gave it an 8 mainly because it won the Oscar for best film it is certainly a weak 8. While an interesting film, there is little special going on here. This really makes one wonder about the entire awards process. An entertaining two hours, but nothing that will leave you feeling you have seen something extraordinary.
  54. Mar 26, 2013
    Argo is a true thriller, bringing together suspense as well as an edge-of-your-seat experience. Were the people able to get out alright? I was granted a solid and well developed answer to this question. Unbelievable.
  55. Mar 24, 2013
    Argo is magnificently brilliant in every way. It's perfect in terms of espeonauge and story telling (even though it's based on a true story). Not only was there great acting, but director, Ben Affleck, reels in some great acting as well. But overall, Affleck has given us an incredible experience of how far one man will go to save the lives of others.
  56. Mar 24, 2013
    Not bad. No way. It's okay. It's well above average. But it isn't an appropriate Best Film of the the Year. Have fun, watch it--then go see a real stand out: Zero Dark 30.
  57. Mar 23, 2013
    argo is an overall good film. I feel that a few scenes fell flat and many supporting characters were unnecessary because they had such small roles, but the overall film has plenty of nail-biting moments and phenomonal acting.
  58. Mar 22, 2013
    Impresionante, la puesta en escena, la interpretación, y lo crehíble de la historia aunque parezca increhíble. Ben Affleck extraordinario, convirtiendo al actor en un buenísimo director.
  59. Mar 21, 2013
    Argo doesn't quite succeed entirely. Despite excelling in its screenplay, structure, pacing and especially its cinematography; Argo delivers not-so stunning acting performances (apart from Alan Arkin- who steals the show) and its character construction is rather unsatisfying- Tony Mendez never really strays beyond the cliche of a workaholic divorcee. Overall, its a nice little piece of American propaganda, as well as being a competent thriller, but it doesn't wholly fulfil its promise. Expand
  60. Mar 21, 2013
    Disregarding some factual controversy and looking at it solely as a film, Argo is quite well made. The performances are great and the film does a good job of keeping things moving. However, when compared to some other pictures from this year I don't know that I'd agree that its "Best Picture" good.
  61. Mar 17, 2013
    lo deja a uno sin aliento ,argo es una obra maestra bien pensada y ejecutada pero lo que mas marca a argo con una película excepcional es su ultimo acto donde los americanos se suben al avión ira-ni
  62. Mar 17, 2013
    This is a boring story. A CIA agent flies a commercial airliner into Tehran, and flies out two days later with six endangered Americans. There is no firefight, no border crossing, not even a romantic subplot. The entire appeal of this movie is that it is historical "based on true events" says the promo but it turns out the movie has little to do with what actually happened in 1980. The CIA played a small part in the rescue, the Canadians did all the work, and most of the scenes are complete bunk. Given the lack of historical content, Ben Affleck could have thrown in a car chase or two, a "traitor within" subplot, or maybe had the 747 pursued by Iranian fighter jets and chased off by a Sopwith camel. Better yet, have the aliens from Argo intervene on behalf of the good guys (assuming that is us). It's all crap history anyway. Expand
  63. Mar 16, 2013
    This is not my favorite film of the year but it is the most well made film of the year on an all around score. It lacks my emotional captivation however it brings all the well moving parts of a hot evenly paced thriller (of sorts). It brings a fantastic script alive and I may forgive Affleck for faults in his previous career stumbles.
  64. Mar 10, 2013
    Wow who could believe that Ben Affleck would become this good of a director. Argo is his best work to date and lined with a great cast including Affleck himself, this film has some very suspenseful moments.
  65. Mar 9, 2013
    While a sizeable proportion of America got caught up with whether or not Tony Mendez should be considered hispanic or not, the rest of us experienced one of Ben Affleck's better performances in a movie that essentially cements his reputation as a 5-star director. Ben Affleck is the new Oliver Stone. No, let me rephrase that Oliver Stone wishes he was Ben Affleck...
  66. Mar 8, 2013
    A wonderful film with lovely attention to detail. From the old school Warner logo to the side-by-side comparison shots at the end, Argo has clearly had a lot of work put into, what is, a fairly simple plot. It is engrossing throughout as the situation worsens and the bizarre rescue plot looks doomed to failure. A somewhat sedate pace is amped up towards the last half hour. Details are probably fudged for dramatic tension but the nice thing is that no one member of the cast goes for the obvious grandstanding. Even Affleck resists at points where a more overblown performance would have taken away from the film.

The film looks great, with a great late 70's cinema feel. The soundtrack has some nice tunes in there as well to carry the mode. Pity John Goodman doesnt get to shine as much as I'd like but thats a minor quibble. Is it worth the oscar? How should I know, but it is worth the two hours of your time.
  67. Mar 6, 2013
    Not knowing what the ending will be like, kept me on the edge of my seat! Yes, the real story wasnt real to the true story. But the movie did pull off one thing, and thats tension!
  68. Mar 5, 2013
    All’inizio della crisi degli ostaggi in Iran, un piccolo gruppo fuoriuscito dall’ambasciata degli Stati Uniti durante l’assalto alla stessa finisce per ritrovarsi in una posizione più pericolosa rispetto ai diplomatici rimasti prigionieri: riparati in casa dell’ambasciatore canadese, non hanno addosso gli occhi del mondo e ogni giorno che passa il rischio di venir scoperti e processati aumenta. Per portarli a casa, la Cia si inventa un falso film di fantascienza, ‘Argo’, da girarsi in esotiche locations persiane: sul filo del rasoio, l’operazione riesce, ma l’agente Mendez che il tutto ha apparecchiato e portato a termine non può ricevere i pubblici elogi fino a quando Clinton, vent’anni dopo, non toglie il segreto sulla missione. Per raccontarne la storia, l’esordiente Affleck gira un film d’azione senza pecche, basato su di una sceneggiatura di Chris Terrio che segue la traccia dei fatti drammatizzandone alcune parti (una questione che appare secondaria, non trattandosi di un documentario). Nella prima ora, la tensione si stempera grazie ai tocchi di commedia che si possono trovare nei dialoghi serrati all’interno dell’Agenzia e durante la parentesi holliwoodiana (alcune battute sono un po’ telefonate ma pazienza…), poi il ritmo si fa sempre più serrato, fra montaggio incrociato con qualche discrepanza sui fusi orari e possibili pericoli evitati per un soffio che lasciano con il fiato sospeso. L’occhio del regista restituisce in modo efficace un mondo del tutto analogico, fatto di telescriventi e grossi nodi alla cravatta, raggiungendo i risultati migliori negli interni ambientati a Langley e inquadrati come negli anni Settanta. Alla riuscita collabora un cast esperto e ben assortito, in cui oltre all’Affleck attore, con barba e capello lungo molto Seventies spiccano Cranston (il capo duro ma sensibile) e, soprattutto, la coppia Arkin/Goodman che, a Los Angeles, fornisce la base logistica al falso film strappando anche qualche sorriso: in confronto, risultano meno definiti i sei in fuga, con il solo Scoot McNairy che ha la possibilità di rendere un po’ meno bidimensionale il suo personaggio, il più dubbioso nei confronti del piano di Mendez. Detto tutto questo, e confermato che le due ore scorrono veloci e coinvolgenti, lascia perplessi che ‘Argo’ sia stato preferito a ‘Lincoln’ nella corsa agli Oscar e l’unico motivo che pare plausibile l’eccesso patriottico. Non che il film di Spielberg manchi di retorica a stelle e strisce, ma vuoi mettere un film ambientato un secolo e mezzo fa che parla di una spaccatura interna non del tutto superata neppure oggi con uno costruito attorno a un momento storico che tantissimi di noi hanno vissuto e ha il pregio di poter nettamente separare i buoni dai cattivi? Se non fosse per il prologo in cui si accenna alla responsabilità anglo-americana nella caduta di Mossadeq che spianò la strada al feroce regime di Reza Pahlavi la Cia ne esce candida come un giglio (e alla fine rinuncia anche ad appuntarsi la medaglia al merito) mentre gli iraniani sono rappresentati, a parte la barba, alla stregua degli indiani dei film di una volta violenti, urlanti e pure un po’ tonti: se un dato di fatto che la Rivoluzione Islamica non sia stata un pranzo di gala, la banalizzazione risulta comunque fastidiosa. Expand
  69. Mar 2, 2013
    Argo was a very good film but Picture of the Year it was not. Sorry Academy but you got it wrong once again. Don't mistake this for bashing. Like I said, Argo was a very good film. Ben Affleck has proven once again that he's not only a fantastic and underrated actor but that he's becoming one of the better directors in Hollywood. Argo had great pacing for the type of movie it is, the plot developed perfectly, the characters all felt real and authentic, etc. The only negative I would really have is that some of the suspense felt cheap and forced. Sure, they truly did escape Iran. That part is a true story. However, how close they were to getting caught is not necessarily known. So the fact that the final 30 minutes of the movie was close call after close call and that these scrapes didn't develop authentically but felt manufactured was not ideal. Nonetheless, I'd say this is a really good movie that, while it's a little overrated and overhyped (it won Picture of the Year when I'm not even sure it's the best true story CIA film of the year that would probably be Zero Dark Thirty), most people would still enjoy. "Argo f*** yourself!" Expand
  70. Mar 1, 2013
    Argo is a success. This film is one of the ones that i will remember my whole life. The last 30 mins are absolutely heart-pounding and i just love how ben affleck tells the story of Tony Mendez through his direction and acting. Argo is one of the best.
  71. Feb 28, 2013
    puh-leez, this movie was not that good. won the oscars because the industry is a scene that celebrates itself. the movie was average and uncompelling. ben afleck is about as talented an actor as keanu reeves.
  72. Feb 28, 2013
    If you strip away the historical and political relevance of Argo and the knowledge that the events in the movie are based on reality, you are left with an average thriller. The characters in this movie are shells of characters; I could describe each of them in a single sentence. The plot of Argo eventually turns into the repetition of an age old formula: build suspense, make it look like the bad thing is going to happen, make the good thing happen at the last second. Rinse and repeat. It's boring and predictable and repetitive and entirely unoriginal. I think it's worth watching, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again. Expand
  73. Feb 27, 2013
    Apparently film critic Leonard Maltin liked Argo and is quoted as saying, “Don't get your history from the movies.” Maybe it would be better to say, “Don't put history in your movies if you don't get it.” Argo was a good film but it wasn't about what it claimed to be about. If you're going to fiddle with very minor historical moments, maybe no one will notice or care, but this was a major event in recent American history. A short summary of what never happened--there was no trip to the Bazaar, which would have been too dangerous; the six were divided up at the homes of two Canadian officials, not one, and they all liked the idea of the movie production team as their cover; the airport screening went off without a hitch--no one confronted them and no squad cars chased the plane down--the only tension was the announcement that there would be a 1-hour delay because of mechanical problems. However, after the plane cleared Iranian air space, everybody cheered. They got that part right. Some feel that Iranians have a right to object to the stereotypical portrayal of their citizens, and Canada feels that the CIA is being made to look like the heroes, when the Canadians did most of the work, which included three months of preparation for the final coup. A scene at the end of the film gives the erroneous impression that Canada had to be given the credit because no one was allowed to know that the CIA was involved, in which case, it sounded almost like Canada was taking the heat for the CIA rather than being lauded for heroism. Ben Affleck is a good director and a good actor, but his fantasy version of the story should have been filmed as fiction and not fact. Argo worked well when it showed insiders being caustically critical of how a Hollywood production is run behind the scenes. (That would make a good movie by itself.) The film might have been a good thriller, but when you go into it knowing that the most exciting part, the airport clearance and chase at the end, never happened, it's not that thrilling. It's boring. In any case, the film has nothing to do with the American government's view of the episode; it's just trying to be pure Hollywood entertainment, using all the old tricks that all directors and screenwriters use to lure people into the theaters so that the studios can make money. And given how many bad films are being released lately, a film that shows directorial skill and tells a good story ends up being exaggerated to the point where it wins Best Picture. Argo was not the best picture, but the pickings were slim. They couldn't even come up with ten selections at the Oscars--they had nine, and one movie, Amour, was listed twice under Best Picture and Best Foreign Picture. In the end, no one should be insulted by Argo--it's not worth it. Expand
  74. Feb 26, 2013
    "the town" was a million times better than this movie. this is the most overrated underwhelming movie i think i have ever seen. had it been nominated last year for best picture it wouldn't have had a chance. the academy needs to recognize more genres for best picture. "this is 40" isn't an instant classic, but there's more feeling put into that comedy than this drama. this belonged on lifetime, not on the big screen. i want to tell anyone who voted for this movie "argo f*** yourself." Expand
  75. Feb 26, 2013
    This movie is obviously overrated and mediocre. Total lack of 70's atmosphere, the Hollywood side story is very weak and unconvincing, most performances give you the feeling of watching a History Channel documenrary. The film is boring and the adrenaline in the airport scene is boosted with cheap tricks rather than fine and skillfull movie direction: the Iranians realize the truth at the exact moment the Americans flee the country. How convenient is that.... Best motion picture of the year award? seriously??? LMAO.... Expand
  76. Feb 25, 2013
    True story excellent direction and storyline absolute deserve the best film of 2012! Exciting dark story A good movie without past history story, so it bring a original thinking on this movie.
  77. Feb 24, 2013
    Generally, there are three themes that tend to be favored by award community and film critics, the winning themes are about humanity (“Schindler’s List” {1993}, “The Shawshank Redemption {1994}, “Slumdog Millionaire” {2008}, etc.), patriotism (“Saving Private Ryan” {1998}, “Black Hawk Down” {2001}, “Lincoln” {2012}, etc.) and the world of cinema itself (“Cinema Paradiso” {1998}, “Hugo” {2011}, “The Artist” {2011}, etc.). Well, thiz movie has all three of them. Producer, Director and Actor Ben Affleck is smart enough to realize it and takes advantage of that. Ben Affleck is Tony Mendez, a CIA agent who is responsible for covert operation to extract six American embassy employees out of the rage of Iran revolutionary by pretending to be Canadian film crew. It seems that Ben Affleck has done a tremendous job as the Director. He starts with an effective prologue to provide sufficient information and every time the scene heats up, particularly when the scene of American embassy is invaded, he cleverly adds relaxing piano instrumental music to cool things down and doesn’t try to provoke audience into infuriated reactions. Thiz is his third feature films behind the camera after “Gone Baby Gone” (2007) and “The Town” (2010). For the acting, Ben Afflecks looks cool, calm and confident. John Goodman, Bryan Cranston and Victor Garber give brief but consistent performances and the last but definitely not least, Alan Arkin creates a powerful and believable emotion as fearless Hollywood Producer. I also have to put some credit to the Production Designer Sharon Seymour who successfully makes everything look like 1980s such as costume, hairstyle, glasses, car, furniture, television, telephone, everything! How they put attention to detail is undoubtedly amazing. Personally, for me, the power of thiz movie is in the last half hour. Thiz is a good example of what you can get when great script and great editing are perfectly combined. My heart nearly stopped while watching thiz final scene which takes place in Iran airport. They use almost all aspects to create tensions from ticket, telephone, soldier, bus, you name it and they have done it. When it’s over, there will be some satisfying and gratifying feelings. In the closing scene, when the camera pans over the toys of Star Wars, Planet of the Apes and other sci-fi movies one by one. It simply wants to remind us that they are not only inspirational icons in our pop culture, but also they have ever saved lives. Great movie, great story, great moviemaker!

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  78. Feb 24, 2013
    Ben's Argo and Lance's Medals

What do these have in common? Both generated great gobs of money, both represent a dramatic distortion of the truth, both take another significant chunk out of American credibility.

It is bad enough that a majority of America receives its education (17th or lower in world ranking) from movies, in Argo's case "based on a declassified true story". When
    Ben claimed, in a recent interview, that the reason the Canadians integral role (90% Canada/ 10% USA according to president Jimmy Carter and those actually involved) in freeing the hostages was not represented truthfully, he brushed it off quickly by commenting that "there was not enough time to fit it all in".

In other words, for Ben, making the Americans "centre of the universe" even under the guise of docudrama, trumps truth. The reality is that the small role the CIA did actually play, had the real potential of getting the hostages killed on their way out of Iran. Historically (pun intended) the CIA espionage folk put a wrong date on the passport stamp which if not detected, and altered (again by a Canadian) would have meant instant detection, and potentially certain death on their way out of the airport not to mention what would have happened to the Canadian embassy personnel.

Dramatic license must be extended to any historical account for time constraints or the inevitable lapse in research, however, when the focus is to distort and or pervert the truth, everyone involved suffers.

Ben in recent award shows, still attempts to use his youthful ignorance and surprised-face to pass off this travesty of history. I don't buy that, or the movie nor should anyone interested in the truth. Historical accuracy can be every bit as dramatic and entertaining as BS with the added bonus of attracting a wider audience and staying on the charts for many more years.

No doubt, all those, who have or will receive monetary gain from this schlock will rally to its defense, somehow. There is no defense, however, for the damage inflicted on the historical record, those who buy into that distortion, or the Canadians, and the lives of six US hostages whose lives depended on real intervention by real people.

Ziek bamfrmcan
  79. Feb 23, 2013
    Unbelievably great movie! I had some trepidation if Affleck could bring this very serious story to the screen with as much emotion and respect required for this story. I hoped he could bring out the feelings of the true life players in this true story. Well, Ben brought his A game and then some. I'm writing this the day before Oscar night and wonder how this didn't get him a best actor nomination. I think he was tremendous in acting directing! I was on the edge of my seat through the whole movie; though I knew the outcome. I believe this is exceptional movie that stays true to the story. I believe Victor Gather should have gotten the nomination for supporting role rather than Alan Arkin; though his performance is good. First movie I've ever given 10 stars on. Collapse
  80. Feb 23, 2013
    I thought this was a bit of a let down. Loved the Town but Argo wasn't gritty enough for me. Some Iranian security guards with some intelligence would have been nice. The film also plays up the çoolness' of making a fake movie, which detracts from the seriousness of the subject matter for me. Funky music as they arrive on their fake set, hmm. And 'Argo f!@k yourself' gets very annoying. Big let down. And we all know how it's going to end. Amazing thing they did though. Expand
  81. Feb 22, 2013
    Patient script that at times seems to move a little bit too slow. The film feels very authentic. Affleck does a nice job in directing and acting in this flick. The ending left a little to be desired. Overall, solid film.
  82. Feb 18, 2013
    Argo is a great story that sells itself on the fact that it is an insane, but true story. It's a good movie, but it really isn't great in any capacity. The performances were on, but afflec's distance felt forced. The story was interesting, but very predictable, and very Hollywood (I guess that might be part of the point, so we'll let that pass). There wasn't anything bad in Argo, in fact, you could say it was flawless. However, I don't feel it did justice to the historical situation, and that something was indeed missing. In a year that didn't include Zero Dark Thirty, I might not be looking for that extra something, but I digress. Expand
  83. Feb 18, 2013
    After all the talk, I thought well maybe Ben Affleck did something good after all, but I was sceptical. I was right. This movie is just one big orgy of tough man tough talk, which really gets annoying after 20 minutes or so. There is completely no character development in any of the hostages. I had a hard time not falling asleep. What an incredible bore.
  84. Feb 11, 2013
    A one-sided self-satisfying nationalist and political propaganda film with no real suspense and substance. With highly-implausible inventions to reality that make it look stupid to the audience with some common sense and minimum level knowledge of the situation. The silly car chase on the airport runway or the lack of explanation for why the airliner is not turned back to the airport by the control tower, or the American women wandering provocatively (taking photos) among the Muslim Persians with no head-covering (the stupidest thing of all), etc. Expand
  85. Feb 8, 2013
    The movie had excellent visuals and period feel. The acting was good too. I also liked the subject matter. But the pace was slow, so the movie became a drag at times. Something was off the entire time. I cannot bring myself to watch it again. There are other movies with serious tone and longer running time like The Pianist and Shawshank Redemption that manage to pull it off and are highly entertaining. Argo definitely doesn't deserve the highest prize at the Oscars. Expand
  86. Feb 6, 2013
    Excellent, understated film. Not that realistic, and as over-simplified as any true story has to be, but the detail and drama are really well done, and the acting is perfectly understated (apart from Arkin, who is just good fun). I don't follow the criticism that the film is pro-US propaganda. It unflinchingly (and accurately) lays the balme for many of Iran's woes at US foreign policy's door, where they belong. And then tells a cracking, terrific story. Expand
  87. Feb 2, 2013
    It's an interesting movie and well directed. It gives you some insight as to what happened. Though I would have liked some scenes on the other embassy employees that were held hostage. The best part for me was seeing the old Swissair 747 take off.... (But that's just because I'm Swiss)........... Btw, that 747 was named Argovia (after the Kanton/State Aargau) Argo is the short version.
  88. Jan 29, 2013
    Argo is a spectacular movie full of tension, drama and tricks. First, we notice that the story is very original, not only because of the invasion to the US embassy in Teheran, from where six people escaped, but also because of the idea that the CIA has to take them out of Iran, make a fake movie so this people act like the film crew. Second, everything becomes more interesting when we see that the film is based on true events. Third, is amazing the levels of tension that reach this picture, every detail fits perfectly in the puzzle that created Ben Affleck to reveal the outcome. Fourth, there are some great scenes that show the contemporary modus operandi and mentality of the American people; like at the invasion of the embassy, the workers must destroy all the confidential documents instead of run away; another one is in the first reunion of the CIA when is noticeable that this men do not know or care of knowing about other cultures than their own; and the last one is when then protagonist goes to Hollywood and discovers that no one actually works there. Fifth, its surprising the idea of the story inside a story, because the ending of the plot in the fake film is the same that the one in the real picture. Finally this is one of those pictures were the whole cast perform good, highlighting Tony Mendez, the six that escaped and the maid of the ambassador. With an excellent direction this is definitely an outstanding film. Argo **** yourself. Expand
  89. Jan 27, 2013
    great film! not sure I understand the hype? good storyline and screen play, but nothing extra special? ben Affleck is obviously talented as a director, writer and actor. but for me it falls short of any other critically acclaimed film this year? Alan Arkin is superb and partnered with John Goodman they make a humours, realistic depiction of their characters. A great film, and a must see if you like a tense drama... but isn't the best film of the year? its barely memorable! Expand
  90. Jan 26, 2013
    I would have liked this movie a lot better if it weren't so fast and loose with the facts. For starters, the ending is complete Hollywood b.s. In real life the hostages didn't have any trouble boarding their flight and there was no chase down the tarmac. But hey, the change made for a more suspenseful ending which. let's face it, sells more tickets. Most offensive, though, was the lack of credit the film gives the Canadians for the role they played in getting the American hostages free. Leave it to the Americans to beat their chests and take all the credit for themselves while portraying the Canadians are mere "innkeepers". Expand
  91. Jan 25, 2013
    This movie was excellent, had me sweating at the beginning and end. Affleck managed to tell an important scene in history while also providing an entertaining and witty screenplay along with great acting. I'm really hoping Argo will get an Oscar. And to those who disliked the movie "Argo **** yourself!"
  92. Jan 25, 2013
    If you ever grind drama, suspense and a hint of comedy together you would definitely get a fully baked
  93. Jan 24, 2013
    When Ben Affleck released his first film as director, Gone Baby Gone, most were expecting it to be a flop, because as history tells us, not many successful actors can just switch gears and become very successful directors. Well, Ben has managed to do both, very successfully, I might add. The Town was such a hit, Ben knew that he had to find something and work extremely hard for his next film. And he struck GOLD with Argo. With the history lesson at the beginning, you knew that Ben wanted the audience to grasp on to the full story and not just nose dive in without any backstory on why this was what it was. The tension and the thrill of it all really made for an excellent movie. I felt that the movie progressed too fast and most certainly could have been longer, but regardless this was still a great movie. With all the nominations in the category of Best Picture, it certainly wouldn't be a shock if Argo walked away with this Oscar. And it most certainly is a crime that Ben Affleck didn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Director. Expand
  94. Jan 24, 2013
    Argo is a brilliant and tense thriller directed by Ben Affleck, and has proven to me that after three films, Affleck may be one of the most talented directors in the current age of Hollywood. Ben Affleck has had a bumpy career with his acting, I mean he has sucked (
  95. Jan 21, 2013
    I am not a huge Ben Affleck fan, Reindeer Games, Daredevil, Gigli, really. I decided to watch this movie after seeing Ben Affleck's movie win a Golden Globe. Boy was I surprised! Very good movie! It doesn't matter if you are familiar with that time in our history or not. The story being told will pull you in, and have you thinking can this guy pull this off? Surprisingly, I enjoyed all of the performances by these fine actors. I will go out in a limb to say, Mr. Affleck probably put a lot at stake in making this movie. Well played Mr. Affleck! Having George Clooney along for the ride was very smart too. Go see this movie. Collapse Expand
  96. Jan 17, 2013
    Nice movie, again Ben Affleck made an amazing film
  97. Jan 16, 2013
    I was skeptical and not a big Ben Affleck fan, but this was good, gripping and good acting by all. I wasn't familiar with the story, though I was alive when this happened. Good movie overall. Maybe made more suspenseful than real life, from what I read, but that's hollywood. right? Good story and took some balls to pull it off.
  98. Jan 14, 2013
    This is an impressive offering from Ben Affleck, who is finally emerging from the Hollywood Hall of Lame to remake a name for himself. He was always talented, but fell out of favour after Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Gigli and his bizarre and very public relationship with Jennifer Lopez. I think he's redeemed himself with Argo, a fast-paced thriller based on the true story of the rescue of six American diplomats from Tehran during the Iran hostage crisis in 1979. Stranger than fiction, the story is compelling and emotional. If you like a feel-good movie with some substance, you'll find it here. Some reviewers here found the film boring (I certainly did not - I barely blinked for the duration) and others have criticised the film for it's pro-American bias and for glossing over the complexities of the diplomatic crisis itself, and the plight of Iranians in revolutionary Iran. I think this criticism is legitimate, but Affleck can't please both groups: the film has to strike a balance between historical accuracy and theatricality. The scope of the film is limited, but it tells its story well. Affleck outs in a solid performance as CIA operative Tony Mendez. His character looks chronically depressed much of the time, and I suspect he is, as he's separated from his wife and child and apparently an alcoholic. There is a sense from the beginning of the film that this mission, if successful, could redeem him, and he puts everything on the line to achieve that. Perhaps with the exception of Tate Donovan, the hostages themselves are not very engaging characters. Maybe that's the point. John Goodman, Alan Arkin and Bryan Cranston on the other hand play witty, warm and engaging characters, and with great verve. Sheila Vand is impressive as Sahar, Iranian maid to the Canadian ambassador, who helps the hostages and later escapes to Iraq. Victor Garber is great as Canadian Ambassador Ken Taylor, as is Page Leong as his wife Pat. The movie itself recreates the slightly washed-out aesthetic of a late 1970's film beautifully, so it blends seamlessly with contemporaneous documentary footage, and some of what I thought I was documentary footage was actually recreated: real and staged images are displayed side by side during the end credits, as well as pictures of the actual people involved, so we can see how closely the producers recreated the hairstyles, FACIAL-hair-styles, horn-rimmed glasses and polyester waistcoats of the real-life characters who wore them. Alexandre Desplat's soundtrack is evocative, except for a track featuring uilleann pipes in a scene with Ben Affleck (what an Irish folk instrument is doing in a movie about Americans and Canadians in Iran is beyond me). Ultimately I found the film really gripping and fulfilling. There's no underestimating the power of a happy ending, and in a time of ceaseless unrest in the Middle East, a small story of triumph doesn't go astray once in a while. I'm surprised that Argo was largely overlooked it the Oscar nominations, and thrilled that it won best dramatic film, and Affleck best director, at the Golden Globes. I think it's deserved. Expand
  99. Jan 9, 2013
    Alan Arkin stole the show in this movie, but all of the supporting cast delivered authentic heartfelt performances. It was suspenseful and smoothly paced. One of the better films I have seen recently.
  100. Jan 6, 2013
    Everything about this movie I love, the acting is great, the story is excellent and Affleck shows that he is becoming a great director. It is an engaging view on the foreign dealings between US and Iran. The story is tense and riveting but is broken up by the create change of pace comedy from John Goodman and Alan Arkin. I've seen Lincoln, Les Miserables, Looper, and many other great movies this year but Argo is my pick for the best! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Nov 5, 2012
    An old-school espionage thriller with a movie-biz comedy twist, all the better for being (almost) entirely true. It is to Ben Affleck's credit that the tension and laughs complement rather than neutralise each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Jordan
    Oct 17, 2012
    Combining laughs and thrills with plenty of verve, Ben Affleck continues his smart directorial career with a stylish, gripping hostage drama.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 12, 2012
    Argo isn't quite on the level of the Sidney Lumet classics to which Affleck pays stylistic homage - smart and taut as it is, it lacks the broader political vision of a film like "Dog Day Afternoon." But Lumet lite still goes down pretty smooth.