Warner Bros. | Release Date: October 12, 2012
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 934 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeJun 8, 2016
Argo makes lasting events look real even though everything in the movie was all part of the act. No wonder I can't even manage to get past through the scenes in Argo without having common sense.
SpangleDec 22, 2012
Fantastic movie. Ben Affleck is awesome in the lead role and while this was obviously not 110% historically accurate, it was still great look at one of the most contentious issues in US history.
TVJerryOct 24, 2012
In 1979, when Iranians stormed our embassy and took 52 people hostage, 6 Americans escaped to the Canadian Ambassador's residence. After months, CIA agent Ben Affleck devised a plan to sneak them out of the country: pretending to be a crewIn 1979, when Iranians stormed our embassy and took 52 people hostage, 6 Americans escaped to the Canadian Ambassador's residence. After months, CIA agent Ben Affleck devised a plan to sneak them out of the country: pretending to be a crew scouting a new film. This historically-based story is told thru involving scenarios, some humor and a quietly tense escape. The characters are uniformly bland, but the hair and wardrobe were right-on 70s. While this is not a riveting or fast-paced espionage adventure, it is a low-key, well-crafted and fulfilling experience. NOTE: Be sure to sit thru the early credits to see a wonderful montage of photos that inspired the movie. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Featuring a slew of brilliant performances and one of the most nail-biting climaxes I've witnessed in quite a while, "Argo" proves to be a brilliantly written and superbly directed thriller/drama.
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
Affleck has directed and crafted one of the best films of not only this year, but of his entire career. This film manages to take a true story and turn it into a masterpiece.
BrianMcCriticMar 10, 2013
Wow who could believe that Ben Affleck would become this good of a director. Argo is his best work to date and lined with a great cast including Affleck himself, this film has some very suspenseful moments.
csw12Jan 3, 2013
Argo is one hell of a movie. It is tense, thrilling and sensational. Ben Affleck has put together a film that has hardly any flaws and a film that is gripping and captivating. A truly great American story.
Tss5078Aug 24, 2014
Argo is the Academy Award Winner for Best Picture of 2012, and while it was an amazing film, the actual story was far less interesting. In 1980, the tensions between Iran and The United States began, and the U.S. embassy in Tehran wasArgo is the Academy Award Winner for Best Picture of 2012, and while it was an amazing film, the actual story was far less interesting. In 1980, the tensions between Iran and The United States began, and the U.S. embassy in Tehran was overrun. Hundreds were held hostage for over a year, but six did manage to escape and went into hiding. Knowing that their lives were even more in danger than those of the hostages, the C.I.A. developed a unique plan to get them out of Iran. They sent in one of their top agents, with credentials claiming that he was part of a Canadian film crew. Armed with fake documents, he would smuggled the six out of the country. The film was intense and featured one close call after another, but in reality, getting them out was almost too easy. They were never stopped or questioned, and slipped out under the cover of early morning, without a hitch, but what kind of a movie would that be? Once these classified files were released by the U.S. Government, Hollywood saw the chance to tell this story in an extreme manor, and did so much to the delight of audiences and much to the chagrin of the other countries involved. Ben Affleck both stars and directs this film, and while everyone raves about his performance, I thought it was typically cold and flat. Ben Affleck wasn't interesting, the character he played was. Affleck wasn't any more likeable or skillful here than he was in any other role and that's why he didn't win best actor. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the man is a fantastic Director, but a very mediocre actor. That being said, the extreme locations and huge cast, were his biggest challenge to date as a Director, and I was very impressed by the way he managed to pull it off. Argo is based on a true story, it's fast paced, and even though we all know what happened before seeing the film, it's still an edge of your seat thriller that really shouldn't be missed. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 5, 2012
Affleck proves here that he's a top notch director. The crew of Argo never made a mistake; the story is represented here as best as its going to be anywhere. Alan Arkin and John Goodman are both terrific in their supporting roles.
Trev29Jan 9, 2013
Alan Arkin stole the show in this movie, but all of the supporting cast delivered authentic heartfelt performances. It was suspenseful and smoothly paced. One of the better films I have seen recently.
CineAutoctonoJun 27, 2016
" Argo " was a film that had an impressive thematic although I felt very slow film , Ben Affleck or say " Benji " as an actor to his inicos are disastrous but gradually gained ground , and as a director is one of the best who brought movies" Argo " was a film that had an impressive thematic although I felt very slow film , Ben Affleck or say " Benji " as an actor to his inicos are disastrous but gradually gained ground , and as a director is one of the best who brought movies very good caliber , and " Argo " is no exception. Expand
foxgroveDec 9, 2012
Wonderfully directed and acted very subtly by Ben affleck, this film was a total surprise. Full of both tension and humour, the two complimented each other to sublime effect. The best film of 2012.
MarcDoyleOct 14, 2012
I'm sure it was difficult to weave an element of comedy in with the dramatic and the thriller aspects, but Affleck does it well. The movie is not as dramatic or as impactful as The Town, but for a movie based on true events, with itsI'm sure it was difficult to weave an element of comedy in with the dramatic and the thriller aspects, but Affleck does it well. The movie is not as dramatic or as impactful as The Town, but for a movie based on true events, with its limiting nature, it's one of the best I've seen. They effectively establish 1980 Iran as a truly horrific place, and by doing this, the escape sequence made me feel as if my heart were going to beat out of my chest. For a movie like this, that's a good sign. Goodman and Aarkin are outstanding. As a side note, I wish the trailer had been a bit less comprehensive because most of the best and funniest lines I'd seen before. This is obviously true of many movies - you have to sell the darned thing - but it was glaring here. "If I"m going to make a fake movie, I'm going to make a fake hit!" Yes, it's funny, but I'd seen it 10 times before going in. Finally, the fact that this movie was released within weeks of the Libyan embassy murders made the opening sequence all the more chilling. I don't mean to suggest the movie was better because of the timing visa vis the deaths of civil servants, but it made the film even more relevant. Bottom line: it's not high art, but it's very entertaining. Expand
lasttimeisawDec 5, 2012
Ben Affleck
JacobMar 29, 2013
If I were to criticize the film I’d have to say is that it was overrated. It was good but it was not that good. I quite honestly was not invested the whole time only at certain parts. Maybe this is not my kind of film. Maybe I’m just not usedIf I were to criticize the film I’d have to say is that it was overrated. It was good but it was not that good. I quite honestly was not invested the whole time only at certain parts. Maybe this is not my kind of film. Maybe I’m just not used to the style. I don’t know for whatever reason the movie did not suck me in the way it did lots of critics. Frequently in the film I was bored. I don’t know if the characters and story were not interesting, if it was the amount of dialogue; but for whatever reason I just thought it was good. Maybe if the film took more liberties from the actual event by creating false events to create more tension and excitement, the actors gave stronger performances, and the script a little tighter I would have really enjoyed this film; but as it is the film is just good. Way too overrated by critics if you ask me. Expand
FranzHcriticAug 23, 2013
The idea is profoundly astonishing, and the reality that these events were reality, were even more astonishing. It's only downfall, unfortunately, is its bias towards the Americans. In general, I admire Ben Affleck as a director and producer,The idea is profoundly astonishing, and the reality that these events were reality, were even more astonishing. It's only downfall, unfortunately, is its bias towards the Americans. In general, I admire Ben Affleck as a director and producer, as well as John Goodman and Alan Arkin for the laughs they bring into the movie. The fake suspension makes the movie less banal, and for that I contemplate whether I like or hate it. Expand
GreatMartinOct 12, 2012
Thirty-five of the last 40 minutes of the film
heyitsmegrif4Apr 2, 2013
Argo is tense and exciting with well written characters. The recognizable names help push it to greater heights. I give this film 83%.
StevenFMay 8, 2013
Argo makes all the right moves and deviates greatly from what is expected from such a serious situation as the the Iranian hostage crisis.
Ben Affleck continues his commanding streak as director and lead actor, he takes on a film based on a true story, and what a story it is. Affleck plays Tony Mendez, a CIA operative whose speciality is exfiltration, and when he is brought in to the fold after six embassy workers in Iran escape, he must devise a plan to safely rescue them from Iranian rule. This plan has of course went down in history, whether for its riskiness, stupidity or genius is anyone's guess.
Mendez himself carries out the task, an elaborate plan is set in motion where he, and the six people he plans to rescue, are a film crew who are location scouting in Iran, they all have fake identities and Argo proves that everything is about detail, a fake script, storyboard, marketing tools and even press involvement for a film that will never actually exist, simply for the fact that getting in is not the problem, but getting out is a whole different story.
There are plenty of colourful characters that light up this wonderful thriller, Alan Arkin, John Goodman and Bryan Cranston join Affleck in creating a very nostalgic and peak into the world of 1970s operations. Arkins portrayal of Lester Siegel is brilliant and one of the highlights of the film, while Affleck perfectly captures the dad in Mendez, who just wants to be with his family. Of course the the real winning formula of the film is the ludicrous idea of the fake movie to get in and out of Iran, and Argo (which is also what the fake film is called) manages to give a realistic and nerve-wracking account of just how difficult and frightening it was to be an American with the the boundaries of Iran, something we are shown as the credits role, when various screens from the film are put against the real images taken all those years ago.
Diretor Affleck continues to surpass all expectations and is truly solidifying himself as one of the most talented and sought after directors in our generation, is ability to to take various pivotal moments within a character and create a rousing and entertaining story are becoming unmatched, he has taken a very serious crisis and managed to create a often humorous yet thrilling affair, with a final act that will definitely leave you at the edge of your seat, time is indeed of the essence.
If any film deserved Oscar recognition, it was Argo, its taste for nostalgia while taking on a subject that only became declassified almost 20 years after the crisis. It is a true blend of genres that has created a winning film through and through.
Bruce722Mar 2, 2013
Argo was a very good film but Picture of the Year it was not. Sorry Academy but you got it wrong once again. Don't mistake this for bashing. Like I said, Argo was a very good film. Ben Affleck has proven once again that he's not only aArgo was a very good film but Picture of the Year it was not. Sorry Academy but you got it wrong once again. Don't mistake this for bashing. Like I said, Argo was a very good film. Ben Affleck has proven once again that he's not only a fantastic and underrated actor but that he's becoming one of the better directors in Hollywood. Argo had great pacing for the type of movie it is, the plot developed perfectly, the characters all felt real and authentic, etc. The only negative I would really have is that some of the suspense felt cheap and forced. Sure, they truly did escape Iran. That part is a true story. However, how close they were to getting caught is not necessarily known. So the fact that the final 30 minutes of the movie was close call after close call and that these scrapes didn't develop authentically but felt manufactured was not ideal. Nonetheless, I'd say this is a really good movie that, while it's a little overrated and overhyped (it won Picture of the Year when I'm not even sure it's the best true story CIA film of the year that would probably be Zero Dark Thirty), most people would still enjoy. "Argo f*** yourself!" Expand
eagleeyevikingDec 14, 2013
Argo balances suspense with fun and entertainment very well despite its slow pace. Although it falls short on expectations, it's old-school feel and tension escalates it from falling flat.
BikerjamesOct 29, 2012
Argo starts interesting and gets better as it goes along. A couple of things were confusing to me, however. The Iranians were holding 52 Americans hostage. Why was it so important to them to see if any had escaped during the takeover? WhyArgo starts interesting and gets better as it goes along. A couple of things were confusing to me, however. The Iranians were holding 52 Americans hostage. Why was it so important to them to see if any had escaped during the takeover? Why couldn't they simply get that information from the Americans they were holding hostage instead of having to piece together shredded documents? I also couldn't quite figure out why we had to know that Ben Affleck had a son from a prior marriage - that part seemed tacked on and was never relevant. Lastly, when the group entered the airport they all had a scared "deer in the headlights" look. If they were pretending to be filmmakers why weren't they all coached to talk to each other like people normally would? The final chase scene on the tarmac is over the top Hollywood for sure but exciting nonetheless. Overall a good film with some flaws. Expand
nutterjrDec 29, 2012
Ben Affleck has proved for a third time that he can direct. After the low key drama 'Gone Baby Gone' and the powerful thriller 'The Town', he comes with this well crafted piece, which is politically charged, has quickening pace and good doseBen Affleck has proved for a third time that he can direct. After the low key drama 'Gone Baby Gone' and the powerful thriller 'The Town', he comes with this well crafted piece, which is politically charged, has quickening pace and good dose of humor but above all filled with nerve-racking suspense. And like Clooney's (the other actor turned into one notable director) middle eastern political thriller 'Syriana', 'Argo' is Ben's best film yet. Expand
Movie1997Mar 24, 2013
Argo is magnificently brilliant in every way. It's perfect in terms of espeonauge and story telling (even though it's based on a true story). Not only was there great acting, but director, Ben Affleck, reels in some great acting as well. ButArgo is magnificently brilliant in every way. It's perfect in terms of espeonauge and story telling (even though it's based on a true story). Not only was there great acting, but director, Ben Affleck, reels in some great acting as well. But overall, Affleck has given us an incredible experience of how far one man will go to save the lives of others. Expand
diogomendesDec 19, 2014
Smart, tense and well directed, "Argo" succeeds not just as a great movie but as a realistic political thriller that keeps audience entertained for 2 hours.
audreythomas25Jan 14, 2016
It’s a highly entertaining movie. An awesome thriller film.

Watch this movie for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-178063-Argo-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
NerdConsultantDec 22, 2014
Argo is the film that made me think why are people worried that Ben Affleck is playing batman because this film is beyond brilliant. i loved every second of it's amazing true plot, great acting from a all star cast ( special mention to johnArgo is the film that made me think why are people worried that Ben Affleck is playing batman because this film is beyond brilliant. i loved every second of it's amazing true plot, great acting from a all star cast ( special mention to john goodman, Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston and Scoot McNairy) and one of the most suspenseful endings i've seen. for once my pick for best picture at the oscars has actually won Expand
OfficialMar 8, 2014
The buildup was a bit slow, but once it gets going, it's just awesome. It's thrilling, suspenseful, and well-directed. I mean, just think about the dialogue and the acting, and this movie really stands out.
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
Argo balances suspense with fun and entertainment very well despite its slow pace. Although it falls short of Oscar winning expectations, it's old-school feel and tension escalates it from falling flat.
BHBarryNov 3, 2012
BradySmithJul 23, 2013
I liked Argo. In fact I even bought it on DVD. It's a very well made movie and it's entertaining. Afleck directs it with attention to detail and the story is rendered with a well written screenplay. The acting is solid from all of theI liked Argo. In fact I even bought it on DVD. It's a very well made movie and it's entertaining. Afleck directs it with attention to detail and the story is rendered with a well written screenplay. The acting is solid from all of the cast and there are some tense and exciting moments. It also has a very authentic 70's feel, even utilizing vintage styled cinematography at times. All of that being said, I still found it to be very overrated. Yes there are some tense moments, but I wished there were even more, and the ones in the film, except for the beginning, could have been even tenser, seeing what Afleck did with The Town. The car chase at the end felt fake for some reason and some other scenes felt kinda flat too. Yes it's overall a good movie and another success for Afleck, but I don't think it deserved best picture. I think it should have went to Zero Dark Thirty, or Django Unchained, even though they had slimmer chances of winning than the hostages had of making it out alive. Expand
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
So this is my first film that i have watched that Ben Affleck has directed. Though i do own the town i have not watched it yet. But now after watching this movie i will now have to find the time to watch that and also gone baby gone. So thisSo this is my first film that i have watched that Ben Affleck has directed. Though i do own the town i have not watched it yet. But now after watching this movie i will now have to find the time to watch that and also gone baby gone. So this film is about the 1979 true story of the rescue of six American's from Iran, while most the film has a really gritty serious tone as it should they do seem to place some dark humor in it... well as much as they could.

The whole cast sold it from the start Ben Affleck/Alan Arkin/John Goodman/Bryan Cranston all just killed it but for me Alan Arkin stole the show everytime the guy is on the screen he steals it. The last half hour of the movie was so intense it's crazy pulse pounding nail biting tension i have not had that felling while watching a movie in some time well maybe just not to that extent. Now i can see how this film won best picture at the Oscars this year. Also i'm a bit mad at myself for not watching this film while it was still in theaters.

A great film that everyone should at least take the time to give it a watch i don't regret watching it Overall i give this movie an 8.5

Oh Yeah Argo F**K Youself =D
dharmaDec 2, 2012
If I mentioned that Ben Affleck was a good director a number of years ago, a lot of people would probably smirked at me. Let's face it though: as an actor, Affleck has limited range. But as a Writer and Director, he is actually pretty good.If I mentioned that Ben Affleck was a good director a number of years ago, a lot of people would probably smirked at me. Let's face it though: as an actor, Affleck has limited range. But as a Writer and Director, he is actually pretty good. Affleck creates the same films that Michael Mann creates, grittier but somehow better in many ways. Characters are developed nicely; he never forgets his audiences so his films are tightly structured. His films are still stylish but gritty and realistic at the same time. Mann's films, on the other hand, seemed to be drowned too much in style, losing its narrative drive. Argo is the best example of his talent, and one of the better films coming out this year. Not the Best Picture, but deserves a nomination for it in this year's Oscars. Expand
jeremypOct 13, 2012
Affleck moves out of Boston and takes on the land of the mullahs. It's a true story which he embellishes for dramatic affect and the last half hour have us on the edge of our seats. At this time of our national elections with all of it'sAffleck moves out of Boston and takes on the land of the mullahs. It's a true story which he embellishes for dramatic affect and the last half hour have us on the edge of our seats. At this time of our national elections with all of it's negativism this is a breath of fresh air for Americans. We did something right, with a lot of help from our Canadian friends, and Affleck should be commended for keeping down the jingoism and focusing on the basic heroism of those we'll never know. If you want to have the true story go to CIA site and type in Argo. Expand
Nesbitt10Jul 29, 2013
"Gone Baby Gone," "The Town," and now "Argo," Ben Affleck scores a hat trick with three acclaimed films that exhibit his impressive command behind the camera. Producing the film with George Clooney and Grat Heslov, who worked with Mr."Gone Baby Gone," "The Town," and now "Argo," Ben Affleck scores a hat trick with three acclaimed films that exhibit his impressive command behind the camera. Producing the film with George Clooney and Grat Heslov, who worked with Mr. Affleck for the award winning "Good Night, and Good Luck,” (2005) "Argo" is also based on history, with its fair share of dramatic license, that uniquely incorporates Hollywood during the tumultuous times of the Iran hostage crisis of the late 70's to early 80's.

“Argo” opens with a compelling re-creation of the takeover of the U.S. Embassy in Iran by militant students. It's November 4, 1979 and the world is about to change. Civilians force their way into the Embassy slowly, then, once the gates are forced open, in droves. Employees and diplomats rush to shred and incinerate all sensitive material before the building is completely overtaken. Six of them Bob Anders (Tate Donovan), Lee Schatz (Rory Cochrane), Mark and Cora Lijek (Christopher Denham and Clea DuVall), and Joe and Kathy Stafford (Scoot McNairy and Kerry Bishe) escape and make it to the residence of Canadian ambassador Ken Taylor (Victor Garber), where they are hidden for nearly 3 months.

The State Department, helped by the CIA, decides to mount a rescue mission. By mid-January, concerns are rising that, if the diplomats aren't smuggled out of Iran, they may be captured and publicly executed. The Canadian government, concerned about the safety of the ambassador and his staff, is also applying pressure. CIA director Jack O'Donnell (Bryan Cranston) calls in agent Tony Mendez (Affleck), an infiltration expert, to devise a plan to get the six people out. The primary problem is that there is no viable reason why a half-dozen North Americans would be wandering Tehran. With the help of Hollywood make-up artist John Chambers (John Goodman) and producer Lester Siegel (Alan Arkin), Tony establishes a fake production company for a cheesy sci-fi movie called “Argo,” and devises a cover story that will hopefully allow them to pass through security at the airport and board a Swiss Air flight.

“Argo,” is directed with flair and style by an admired actor/director, and as a period recreation it is just about flawless. There is a notable lack of on-screen bloodshed or violence, confident in its compelling story to invoke edge-of-your-seat tension. The movie has a surprisingly celebratory, feel-good tone rather than dwelling on any political overtones or commentary. The film is made to resemble something coming out of that era, integrating archive footage that lends authenticity to the retelling of the "Canadian Caper.”

A closing-credits side-by-side montage shows to what lengths Affleck has gone to re-create the real-life places and people of "Argo,” and its his impressive command behind the camera the staging, editing, and the calibrated progression of the story, especially its harrowing final moments that solidifies Mr. Affleck as a talented and formidable director. "Argo" deserves to find the discerning audience it has been made for: After all, if we buy tickets, it hopefully leads to more intelligent, sophisticated filmmaking.
Forrestgump1Jun 4, 2013
"No question and hands down one of the best films of this year. Argo is an award contender that's for sure. With Affleck's fantastic direction and an amazing in depth story. Argo is a movie were going to be talking about for years and years"No question and hands down one of the best films of this year. Argo is an award contender that's for sure. With Affleck's fantastic direction and an amazing in depth story. Argo is a movie were going to be talking about for years and years to come." A+ Expand
Andys_ReviewsApr 6, 2013
Beautifully made with all everything from the costumes to the technology accurate to a tee. I loved the way the film was intercut with archive news footage of the time; this really gave the audience a sense of the world at that juncture. AllBeautifully made with all everything from the costumes to the technology accurate to a tee. I loved the way the film was intercut with archive news footage of the time; this really gave the audience a sense of the world at that juncture. All the performances were excellent with Ben Affleck taking centre stage, but I really enjoyed seeing Alan Arkin as a Hollywood producer; he stole it for me! There was real tension towards the end of the film; it slowly builds for quite a long time and I found that quite masterful. It’s something that has been missing from many Hollywood films for a long time now but Affleck seems to have rediscovered the art. Because it‘s a film based in real events, there’s little time for character development and I think it suffers slightly because of it. Other than that, it has some interesting songs on the soundtrack and it’s well worth a look!

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.6/10
Knicksfan7Oct 17, 2012
I honestly don't know what to tell you other than that this movie is just flat out great. Argo will have you engaged from the opening credits to the ending credits. Its funny, it's suspenseful (especially if you don't know the whole storyI honestly don't know what to tell you other than that this movie is just flat out great. Argo will have you engaged from the opening credits to the ending credits. Its funny, it's suspenseful (especially if you don't know the whole story behind it), its intriguing, its just flat out genius. I must tip my hat off to Mr. Ben Affleck on another job well done from both sides of the camera. If you enjoy great cinema then what are you possibly waiting for? You must see Argo. I must also add that i think this is probably the best and most powerful cast i've EVER seen in a film before. Argo is certainly a must-see! 10/10 Expand
BKMNov 29, 2012
With Argo, Ben Affleck continues to display his maturity and growing talents as a director. Everything from the slowly escalating tension to the authentic 70's look and feel of the film is a testament to his command of the material. As aWith Argo, Ben Affleck continues to display his maturity and growing talents as a director. Everything from the slowly escalating tension to the authentic 70's look and feel of the film is a testament to his command of the material. As a performer, however, he is the film's weakest link. His portrayal of Tony Mendez is never short of bland. Fortunately he is overshadowed by the excellent ensemble surrounding him. I can only imagine at how good Argo could have been if he had stayed behind the camera where he is becoming increasingly comfortable. Expand
smijatovOct 16, 2012
Out of over 580 films I have seen and reviewed (not all on here, yet!), there have only been 31 films that I have given a 10. "Argo" is the 32nd. I watched it at the Toronto International Film Festival and went into it without actually havingOut of over 580 films I have seen and reviewed (not all on here, yet!), there have only been 31 films that I have given a 10. "Argo" is the 32nd. I watched it at the Toronto International Film Festival and went into it without actually having a clue what it was about, which was great because I had no expectations. Soon enough, I ended up being completely immersed in the world of the American escapees from the Embassy. Ben Affleck has managed a feat that only a few actors have - giving an excellent performance as an actor and excellently directing a film at the same time. The entire cast, actually, is fantastic. There is not a single moment that does not have credible acting, and one must give kudos to John Goodman and Alan Arkin for kind of 'stealing the show'. But in a film with such superb acting, it is a rather hard thing to achieve, so that goes even more to their credit. The cinematography is very subtle and very appropriate, with perfectly chosen lenses that transport the viewer into the actual space that the film portrays. Production-wise, overall, the film is very effective. Great costumes, makeup, solid score, everything works well. The screenplay is very well written and manages a fine balance between suspense, drama and humour, which is a very difficult to achieve. "Argo" is one of the rare films that actually manages to make you sympathise and feel with the characters very fast, and basically transports you there with them. It feels as if we are in that same Canadian Embassy in Tehran, in that market, and on the airport. After leaving the theatre, I found myself looking suspiciously at people on the street, thinking who'd figure out that I'm not one of them. And then I realised - I am one of them. I'm not in the film myself. I've been completely engrossed in the film, and that is noteworthy. This is Ben Affleck's triumph on so many levels, and he is setting an extremely high bar for his follow-up projects. Let us hope they are half as good as "Argo," since that would still provide for some very good films. 10/10! Expand
moonman1994Mar 13, 2014
Very tense and very well done. The directing was perfect to make the situation as tense and intense as it truly was. It was very entertaining and very interesting. However nothing about the film seemed particularly innovative or new. A goodVery tense and very well done. The directing was perfect to make the situation as tense and intense as it truly was. It was very entertaining and very interesting. However nothing about the film seemed particularly innovative or new. A good film, yes. Best picture worthy, questionable. Expand
Khunter4382Apr 1, 2013
This year's top films: Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln, Argo. Without comparison, Argo is a fine film. Tension is high, story is strong, and acting all around is good. With comparison however, I'm afraid it just doesn't measure up with Lincoln orThis year's top films: Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln, Argo. Without comparison, Argo is a fine film. Tension is high, story is strong, and acting all around is good. With comparison however, I'm afraid it just doesn't measure up with Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty. I'm afraid Argo got the "pity vote" this year......but I suppose it still pays the bills, right Ben? A win is a win. Expand
NedRyerson1Jan 29, 2013
Argo is a spectacular movie full of tension, drama and tricks. First, we notice that the story is very original, not only because of the invasion to the US embassy in Teheran, from where six people escaped, but also because of the idea thatArgo is a spectacular movie full of tension, drama and tricks. First, we notice that the story is very original, not only because of the invasion to the US embassy in Teheran, from where six people escaped, but also because of the idea that the CIA has to take them out of Iran, make a fake movie so this people act like the film crew. Second, everything becomes more interesting when we see that the film is based on true events. Third, is amazing the levels of tension that reach this picture, every detail fits perfectly in the puzzle that created Ben Affleck to reveal the outcome. Fourth, there are some great scenes that show the contemporary modus operandi and mentality of the American people; like at the invasion of the embassy, the workers must destroy all the confidential documents instead of run away; another one is in the first reunion of the CIA when is noticeable that this men do not know or care of knowing about other cultures than their own; and the last one is when then protagonist goes to Hollywood and discovers that no one actually works there. Fifth, its surprising the idea of the story inside a story, because the ending of the plot in the fake film is the same that the one in the real picture. Finally this is one of those pictures were the whole cast perform good, highlighting Tony Mendez, the six that escaped and the maid of the ambassador. With an excellent direction this is definitely an outstanding film. Argo **** yourself. Expand
theahsanhaseebNov 25, 2012
As we all know that majority of the films that are inspired by true events do not work properly, they don
wishmasterNov 2, 2012
the script is great, please another Oscar to Affleck. Recommended film with a montage realizadp well, good performances (any very desaclable), overall the movie takes you back in some dialogues huge, but you do feel the anxiety of freedom ofthe script is great, please another Oscar to Affleck. Recommended film with a montage realizadp well, good performances (any very desaclable), overall the movie takes you back in some dialogues huge, but you do feel the anxiety of freedom of the cast, is a film that conveys the right thing and that is a good point to emphasize in any movie. good job. Expand
JonnyFendiFeb 24, 2013
Generally, there are three themes that tend to be favored by award community and film critics, the winning themes are about humanity (“Schindler’s List” {1993}, “The Shawshank Redemption {1994}, “Slumdog Millionaire” {2008}, etc.), patriotismGenerally, there are three themes that tend to be favored by award community and film critics, the winning themes are about humanity (“Schindler’s List” {1993}, “The Shawshank Redemption {1994}, “Slumdog Millionaire” {2008}, etc.), patriotism (“Saving Private Ryan” {1998}, “Black Hawk Down” {2001}, “Lincoln” {2012}, etc.) and the world of cinema itself (“Cinema Paradiso” {1998}, “Hugo” {2011}, “The Artist” {2011}, etc.). Well, thiz movie has all three of them. Producer, Director and Actor Ben Affleck is smart enough to realize it and takes advantage of that. Ben Affleck is Tony Mendez, a CIA agent who is responsible for covert operation to extract six American embassy employees out of the rage of Iran revolutionary by pretending to be Canadian film crew. It seems that Ben Affleck has done a tremendous job as the Director. He starts with an effective prologue to provide sufficient information and every time the scene heats up, particularly when the scene of American embassy is invaded, he cleverly adds relaxing piano instrumental music to cool things down and doesn’t try to provoke audience into infuriated reactions. Thiz is his third feature films behind the camera after “Gone Baby Gone” (2007) and “The Town” (2010). For the acting, Ben Afflecks looks cool, calm and confident. John Goodman, Bryan Cranston and Victor Garber give brief but consistent performances and the last but definitely not least, Alan Arkin creates a powerful and believable emotion as fearless Hollywood Producer. I also have to put some credit to the Production Designer Sharon Seymour who successfully makes everything look like 1980s such as costume, hairstyle, glasses, car, furniture, television, telephone, everything! How they put attention to detail is undoubtedly amazing. Personally, for me, the power of thiz movie is in the last half hour. Thiz is a good example of what you can get when great script and great editing are perfectly combined. My heart nearly stopped while watching thiz final scene which takes place in Iran airport. They use almost all aspects to create tensions from ticket, telephone, soldier, bus, you name it and they have done it. When it’s over, there will be some satisfying and gratifying feelings. In the closing scene, when the camera pans over the toys of Star Wars, Planet of the Apes and other sci-fi movies one by one. It simply wants to remind us that they are not only inspirational icons in our pop culture, but also they have ever saved lives. Great movie, great story, great moviemaker!

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
BarneyOnMTOct 9, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: We knew by this point that Ben Affleck can both act and direct to an incredible standard, but he still manages to surprise us with every great turn he makes. This time, he pulled out all the stops and as a result 'Argo' is oneWHAT I LIKED: We knew by this point that Ben Affleck can both act and direct to an incredible standard, but he still manages to surprise us with every great turn he makes. This time, he pulled out all the stops and as a result 'Argo' is one of the most inventively put together and well directed films of 2012 (and that's saying something by the way). He really grips you through each creative montage and scene change; it actually feels like the events are unfolding before your very eyes at points, and this journey is often aided by the contrasting performances and tones that the movie straddles. Somehow it's incredibly engaging and exciting, whilst also scarcastically mocking and entertaining at times...
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: As I said, manier contrast this film doth straddle - and whilst it mostly gels, it occasionaly doesn't. I feel the tonal confusion that this creates is mainly apparent in the lengthly set-up, but at least it's diminished by the end.
VERDICT: What's most apparent is just how well-made Argo is, but that doesn't stop you from properly engaging and having a great time with it. Well done again Mr Affleck, you've outdone yourself.
MikefromAngusMar 6, 2013
Not knowing what the ending will be like, kept me on the edge of my seat! Yes, the real story wasnt real to the true story. But the movie did pull off one thing, and thats tension!
heeldavidJul 17, 2014
This is a well done film by Ben Affleck who gives sharp direction and acting to this movie. It's triumphant and thrilling. Great performances from Affleck, Cranston, Alda, Goodman and the supporting cast
ExKingMay 11, 2013
as most people i was over-excited to watch argo because my all time favorite movies are the ones based on true stories the movie have a good reputation an Oscar for best picture and add-in the fact that i love the movies directed by benas most people i was over-excited to watch argo because my all time favorite movies are the ones based on true stories the movie have a good reputation an Oscar for best picture and add-in the fact that i love the movies directed by ben affleck so was the excitement worth it unfortunately no the movie is good not great and it have so many elements missing first of all it is one of the best Rescues in U.S history that we know of so it have to be intense but the fact that it's not intense only in a few scenes far away from eachother with some cold acting by ben affleck and not even a single intense acting scene and the fact that there isn't a soundtrack until the second half of the movie makes you disconnect from the story every 10 minutes i mean it's pretty obvious giving that ben affleck didn't recieve an Oscar for best directing because of these missing elements that made the movie a little bit disappointing but i give a pledge to the movie for showing real events with characters as exact as the real people and shine a light on those people because of what they have gone through. Expand
MattyiceOct 13, 2012
Best movie of the year! Amazing casting, amazing representations, amazing ending, and most of all, amazing directing by Ben Affleck. A must see suspense/action of the year!
tropicAcesOct 20, 2012
Is this a good movie? Yes, definitely. The acting is spot on, even from the smaller role or even lesser known actors and the set pieces are breathtaking. However there are certain spots of the movie that drag, an others that transition tooIs this a good movie? Yes, definitely. The acting is spot on, even from the smaller role or even lesser known actors and the set pieces are breathtaking. However there are certain spots of the movie that drag, an others that transition too quickly from thrilling to calm. I wasnt alive during the Iran Hostage Crisis, so maybe I lose some of the feelings that are attached to this movie. But in a year of average films, this is at the top. Expand
fantasyOct 13, 2012
The movie is fantastic. Perhaps one of the best movies I've ever seen by Ben Afleck in quite awhile. For a novice Director he did some outstanding job. The dialogue is great, the suspense is deafening as the audience holds it collectiveThe movie is fantastic. Perhaps one of the best movies I've ever seen by Ben Afleck in quite awhile. For a novice Director he did some outstanding job. The dialogue is great, the suspense is deafening as the audience holds it collective breath; and the comedic lines uttered, especially by Alan Arkin, hit the mark. Definitely OSCAR worthy! Don't miss it. Expand
SummersausageMar 16, 2013
This is not my favorite film of the year but it is the most well made film of the year on an all around score. It lacks my emotional captivation however it brings all the well moving parts of a hot evenly paced thriller (of sorts). It bringsThis is not my favorite film of the year but it is the most well made film of the year on an all around score. It lacks my emotional captivation however it brings all the well moving parts of a hot evenly paced thriller (of sorts). It brings a fantastic script alive and I may forgive Affleck for faults in his previous career stumbles. Expand
JawsLaxerDramaDec 20, 2012
I am a 16 year old girl who went to see this with a friend. It started as a history lesson, and if you are able to have an attention span, it turns out into a wonderful movie! Suspense, great acting (Bryan Cranston and Ben Affleck!) ItI am a 16 year old girl who went to see this with a friend. It started as a history lesson, and if you are able to have an attention span, it turns out into a wonderful movie! Suspense, great acting (Bryan Cranston and Ben Affleck!) It deserves at least one oscar for writing. Humor is with John Goodman and Alan Arkin. Fantastic movie! I was cheering at the end! Well done, Ben! Make more movies! Expand
ScorpionMay 10, 2013
Compared to the book basis is laughable, but with cinematographic look is very interesting, because its narrative line is modern and funny, but knows how to be serious and rough, the dialogues are otimos especially when the topic is holiwood,Compared to the book basis is laughable, but with cinematographic look is very interesting, because its narrative line is modern and funny, but knows how to be serious and rough, the dialogues are otimos especially when the topic is holiwood, the second best thing is the performance of Alan Arkin, who gives a satirical tone in the dialogues, another very interesting thing is the accuracy of the portrayal of facts acontecidos.Esse film proves that Ben Afleck can indeed perform well and drive good shape. Expand
catcarloMar 5, 2013
All’inizio della crisi degli ostaggi in Iran, un piccolo gruppo fuoriuscito dall’ambasciata degli Stati Uniti durante l’assalto alla stessa finisce per ritrovarsi in una posizione più pericolosa rispetto ai diplomatici rimasti prigionieri:All’inizio della crisi degli ostaggi in Iran, un piccolo gruppo fuoriuscito dall’ambasciata degli Stati Uniti durante l’assalto alla stessa finisce per ritrovarsi in una posizione più pericolosa rispetto ai diplomatici rimasti prigionieri: riparati in casa dell’ambasciatore canadese, non hanno addosso gli occhi del mondo e ogni giorno che passa il rischio di venir scoperti e processati aumenta. Per portarli a casa, la Cia si inventa un falso film di fantascienza, ‘Argo’, da girarsi in esotiche locations persiane: sul filo del rasoio, l’operazione riesce, ma l’agente Mendez che il tutto ha apparecchiato e portato a termine non può ricevere i pubblici elogi fino a quando Clinton, vent’anni dopo, non toglie il segreto sulla missione. Per raccontarne la storia, l’esordiente Affleck gira un film d’azione senza pecche, basato su di una sceneggiatura di Chris Terrio che segue la traccia dei fatti drammatizzandone alcune parti (una questione che appare secondaria, non trattandosi di un documentario). Nella prima ora, la tensione si stempera grazie ai tocchi di commedia che si possono trovare nei dialoghi serrati all’interno dell’Agenzia e durante la parentesi holliwoodiana (alcune battute sono un po’ telefonate ma pazienza…), poi il ritmo si fa sempre più serrato, fra montaggio incrociato con qualche discrepanza sui fusi orari e possibili pericoli evitati per un soffio che lasciano con il fiato sospeso. L’occhio del regista restituisce in modo efficace un mondo del tutto analogico, fatto di telescriventi e grossi nodi alla cravatta, raggiungendo i risultati migliori negli interni ambientati a Langley e inquadrati come negli anni Settanta. Alla riuscita collabora un cast esperto e ben assortito, in cui oltre all’Affleck attore, con barba e capello lungo molto Seventies spiccano Cranston (il capo duro ma sensibile) e, soprattutto, la coppia Arkin/Goodman che, a Los Angeles, fornisce la base logistica al falso film strappando anche qualche sorriso: in confronto, risultano meno definiti i sei in fuga, con il solo Scoot McNairy che ha la possibilità di rendere un po’ meno bidimensionale il suo personaggio, il più dubbioso nei confronti del piano di Mendez. Detto tutto questo, e confermato che le due ore scorrono veloci e coinvolgenti, lascia perplessi che ‘Argo’ sia stato preferito a ‘Lincoln’ nella corsa agli Oscar e l’unico motivo che pare plausibile l’eccesso patriottico. Non che il film di Spielberg manchi di retorica a stelle e strisce, ma vuoi mettere un film ambientato un secolo e mezzo fa che parla di una spaccatura interna non del tutto superata neppure oggi con uno costruito attorno a un momento storico che tantissimi di noi hanno vissuto e ha il pregio di poter nettamente separare i buoni dai cattivi? Se non fosse per il prologo in cui si accenna alla responsabilità anglo-americana nella caduta di Mossadeq che spianò la strada al feroce regime di Reza Pahlavi la Cia ne esce candida come un giglio (e alla fine rinuncia anche ad appuntarsi la medaglia al merito) mentre gli iraniani sono rappresentati, a parte la barba, alla stregua degli indiani dei film di una volta violenti, urlanti e pure un po’ tonti: se un dato di fatto che la Rivoluzione Islamica non sia stata un pranzo di gala, la banalizzazione risulta comunque fastidiosa. Expand
ScreenagerMar 31, 2013
Despite some historical inaccuracies and having a pro-American approach, this is a fast paced political thriller which also has some moments of comedy (from Alan Arkin in one of his best roles) under the direction of star Ben Affleck who hasDespite some historical inaccuracies and having a pro-American approach, this is a fast paced political thriller which also has some moments of comedy (from Alan Arkin in one of his best roles) under the direction of star Ben Affleck who has now become something of a pro at making edge-of-your-seat movies. One of the best of 2012. Expand
amboyOct 24, 2012
This is a glorious machine of a movie in which everything works. The problem is how to generate suspense when you know the ending from history. They have found a way==it's all performance and superb camera work. This is a big jump fromThis is a glorious machine of a movie in which everything works. The problem is how to generate suspense when you know the ending from history. They have found a way==it's all performance and superb camera work. This is a big jump from Affleck from the smaller movies he has done so well, and his cast is superb. John Goodman and Alan Arkin should share an Oscar. Irresistible. Expand
jgzegerJan 26, 2013
I would have liked this movie a lot better if it weren't so fast and loose with the facts. For starters, the ending is complete Hollywood b.s. In real life the hostages didn't have any trouble boarding their flight and there was no chase downI would have liked this movie a lot better if it weren't so fast and loose with the facts. For starters, the ending is complete Hollywood b.s. In real life the hostages didn't have any trouble boarding their flight and there was no chase down the tarmac. But hey, the change made for a more suspenseful ending which. let's face it, sells more tickets. Most offensive, though, was the lack of credit the film gives the Canadians for the role they played in getting the American hostages free. Leave it to the Americans to beat their chests and take all the credit for themselves while portraying the Canadians are mere "innkeepers". Expand
Antgiog1202Apr 29, 2016
Argo is a film that was directed, starred, and produced by Ben Affleck and he surprisingly did an amazing job. The way this film is crafted is incredibly realistic. It was an intense historically accurate film that I enjoyed very much.Argo is a film that was directed, starred, and produced by Ben Affleck and he surprisingly did an amazing job. The way this film is crafted is incredibly realistic. It was an intense historically accurate film that I enjoyed very much.

This film can teach you a lot about Iran in your tenth grade Global, Social Studies class.

Rating: 9/10

D = 1.5
D- = 1
F = 0
Epik_NinnjaMay 23, 2015
Based on real events, this movie is about an agent going in to extract six Americans who are trapped in Iran. Their only way out is to pretend they were looking for locations for a Star Wars rip off called "Argo." Most of the movie feltBased on real events, this movie is about an agent going in to extract six Americans who are trapped in Iran. Their only way out is to pretend they were looking for locations for a Star Wars rip off called "Argo." Most of the movie felt realistic and the acting was well done. The story may sound boring to some but I'd still encourage those people to watch it because it's actually quite interesting. Expand
gfnyOct 12, 2012
A good mix of suspense and action. Ben Aflec does a good job in both acting and directing. The movie is done in the Alfred **** style of suspense.
WiesyJan 17, 2013
Nice movie, again Ben Affleck made an amazing film
lahaine2012Nov 25, 2012
How can one not enjoy Argo. Sure we all know how it will end, but the story was too good and the film was too well made to let that get in the way. All petty quibbles about historical inaccuracies aside, Chris Terrio
OroiaelNov 14, 2012
Guess who finally grew up and stopped being a dumb "Chowder-head" from Beantown? Affleck is a far better Director than actor. Also he excels in serious films rather than bubblegum garbage. This is a must see. Also any film with Alan Arkin isGuess who finally grew up and stopped being a dumb "Chowder-head" from Beantown? Affleck is a far better Director than actor. Also he excels in serious films rather than bubblegum garbage. This is a must see. Also any film with Alan Arkin is good, sort of a law of nature. It really does help to know something about the fall of Shah of Iran and the Student's Revolution. If you are historically challenged, you might want to watch a cartoon or something. Expand
jordiMar 22, 2013
Impresionante, la puesta en escena, la interpretación, y lo crehíble de la historia aunque parezca increhíble. Ben Affleck extraordinario, convirtiendo al actor en un buenísimo director.
CinemaphileJul 29, 2016
Docudramas often do not lend themselves naturally to action or suspense without omitting mundane detail or using editing to build suspense where no immediate jeopardy actually existed. Argo, Ben Affleck's recreation of the escape of 6 embassyDocudramas often do not lend themselves naturally to action or suspense without omitting mundane detail or using editing to build suspense where no immediate jeopardy actually existed. Argo, Ben Affleck's recreation of the escape of 6 embassy workers from Iran in 1980 is guilty on all counts. Unlike a similar period pic, Zodiac - Argo doesn't capture the feeling of the time, it seems more like a department store window display. Oddly enough, the copious inclusion of all the skiffy kitch from the era works against this film.

Affleck does gets strong, workmanlike performances from a cast that uncannily resembles their real life counterparts, but unfortunately he cannot string those scenes together into a cohesive narrative. That in itself is forgivable, but one cannot help but feel that the three key action sequences were given the Hollywood treatment to turn a story more akin to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy into The Great Escape. Affleck's greatest sin is giving Iranian automobiles nitrus oxide turbocharged engines to keep pace with a Swiss Air 747. One can almost hear the strains of John Barry's Bond theme in the background.

Argo isn't a bad movie, nor is it a great one. It is worth the animated history lesson of British and American Cold War meddling in Iran's politics at the beginning of the film. Not worth a full price ticket, but worth afternoon matinee price or pay per view in a month or so.
DTDunnMar 29, 2013
IF this movie is an 8 and frankly I gave it an 8 mainly because it won the Oscar for best film it is certainly a weak 8. While an interesting film, there is little special going on here. This really makes one wonder about the entireIF this movie is an 8 and frankly I gave it an 8 mainly because it won the Oscar for best film it is certainly a weak 8. While an interesting film, there is little special going on here. This really makes one wonder about the entire awards process. An entertaining two hours, but nothing that will leave you feeling you have seen something extraordinary. Expand
diego9901Mar 17, 2013
lo deja a uno sin aliento ,argo es una obra maestra bien pensada y ejecutada pero lo que mas marca a argo con una película excepcional es su ultimo acto donde los americanos se suben al avión ira-ni
DollisOct 20, 2012
The film is a whopper of a tale, one designed for Oscar nominations, Best Picture and Best Director among them , 'Argo' is one of the best movies of the year. Hollywood stop the remakesThe film is a whopper of a tale, one designed for Oscar nominations, Best Picture and Best Director among them , 'Argo' is one of the best movies of the year. Hollywood stop the remakes http://www.facebook.com/pages/Remake-Movies-is-Killing-Hollywood/361119783969397 Expand
wiggipopMay 18, 2013
In the end, this was kind of underwhelming. The performances are fine (although Affleck doesn't do much aside from looking glum), the recreation of the events using real footage is excellently done, and the story is quite compelling, but theIn the end, this was kind of underwhelming. The performances are fine (although Affleck doesn't do much aside from looking glum), the recreation of the events using real footage is excellently done, and the story is quite compelling, but the problem is with the script. Dialogue tends toward cliche at times and the moments of tension feel overly manufactured. The film is strongest in its opening sequence as the hostage crisis unfolds, and in the scenes shared with John Goodman and Alan Arkin who have a lot of fun with their roles. The ending lays on the 'America Always Triumphs' adage pretty thick; it's easy to see how it won Best Film at the Oscars. Solid, if uninspiring. Expand
LokathorAug 13, 2014
Argo is an good slow-growth film that caps with a fantastically tense ending. If you can stand a slower movie without things constantly exploding for you then you should absolutely see this movie.
UtopianStuffJul 3, 2013
Amazing, well acted, well directed, gorgeous, breathtaking, suspenseful, amazing, well shot, wonderfully executed, and the list goes on and on. Argo, is a truly unique story and what makes it more unique is that all the events in the filmAmazing, well acted, well directed, gorgeous, breathtaking, suspenseful, amazing, well shot, wonderfully executed, and the list goes on and on. Argo, is a truly unique story and what makes it more unique is that all the events in the film actually happened. Argo is gold! A cinematic experience that will keep you at the edge of your seat the entire time. Its good old fashioned suspenseful excitement that is complete eye candy. I guarantee that ANYONE who watches this movie will enjoy it in any way, shape or form. Go watch Argo! Expand
VidsRuleApr 1, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. More should have happened in this movie. It doesn't seem that way at first glance, but....don't you feel like they should have been questioned more and had more intense moments? In the second half of the movie I was prepared to handle a bunch of vigorous interrigations, but it just didn't happen. One single questioning period at the end is all that really stuck out. Anyways besides that one complaint it was a good show throughout. Expand
JudgeHoldenDec 1, 2012
This movie will not cater for everyone. It has a feeling of old spy movies and manages to mix in an engaging way various genres: drama, action, thriller, and comedy about Hollywood. Despite the characters lack more depth and the movie doesThis movie will not cater for everyone. It has a feeling of old spy movies and manages to mix in an engaging way various genres: drama, action, thriller, and comedy about Hollywood. Despite the characters lack more depth and the movie does not focus on the global situation (which could add to the thrill), I think Affleck squeezed every drop of potential for success from a crazy and out-of-the-box-thinking story, making it accessible and entertaining for the modern viewer, who is not used to old-school spy movies. Chapeau to both Affleck and the CIA. Expand
eliteco3Feb 22, 2013
Patient script that at times seems to move a little bit too slow. The film feels very authentic. Affleck does a nice job in directing and acting in this flick. The ending left a little to be desired. Overall, solid film.
ClayMerrittJan 24, 2013
When Ben Affleck released his first film as director, Gone Baby Gone, most were expecting it to be a flop, because as history tells us, not many successful actors can just switch gears and become very successful directors. Well, Ben hasWhen Ben Affleck released his first film as director, Gone Baby Gone, most were expecting it to be a flop, because as history tells us, not many successful actors can just switch gears and become very successful directors. Well, Ben has managed to do both, very successfully, I might add. The Town was such a hit, Ben knew that he had to find something and work extremely hard for his next film. And he struck GOLD with Argo. With the history lesson at the beginning, you knew that Ben wanted the audience to grasp on to the full story and not just nose dive in without any backstory on why this was what it was. The tension and the thrill of it all really made for an excellent movie. I felt that the movie progressed too fast and most certainly could have been longer, but regardless this was still a great movie. With all the nominations in the category of Best Picture, it certainly wouldn't be a shock if Argo walked away with this Oscar. And it most certainly is a crime that Ben Affleck didn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Director. Expand
wisertimeJan 16, 2013
I was skeptical and not a big Ben Affleck fan, but this was good, gripping and good acting by all. I wasn't familiar with the story, though I was alive when this happened. Good movie overall. Maybe made more suspenseful than real life,I was skeptical and not a big Ben Affleck fan, but this was good, gripping and good acting by all. I wasn't familiar with the story, though I was alive when this happened. Good movie overall. Maybe made more suspenseful than real life, from what I read, but that's hollywood. right? Good story and took some balls to pull it off. Expand
reddave2Mar 8, 2013
A wonderful film with lovely attention to detail. From the old school Warner logo to the side-by-side comparison shots at the end, Argo has clearly had a lot of work put into, what is, a fairly simple plot. It is engrossing throughout as theA wonderful film with lovely attention to detail. From the old school Warner logo to the side-by-side comparison shots at the end, Argo has clearly had a lot of work put into, what is, a fairly simple plot. It is engrossing throughout as the situation worsens and the bizarre rescue plot looks doomed to failure. A somewhat sedate pace is amped up towards the last half hour. Details are probably fudged for dramatic tension but the nice thing is that no one member of the cast goes for the obvious grandstanding. Even Affleck resists at points where a more overblown performance would have taken away from the film.

The film looks great, with a great late 70's cinema feel. The soundtrack has some nice tunes in there as well to carry the mode. Pity John Goodman doesnt get to shine as much as I'd like but thats a minor quibble. Is it worth the oscar? How should I know, but it is worth the two hours of your time.
BreakingBradJan 24, 2013
Argo is a brilliant and tense thriller directed by Ben Affleck, and has proven to me that after three films, Affleck may be one of the most talented directors in the current age of Hollywood. Ben Affleck has had a bumpy career with hisArgo is a brilliant and tense thriller directed by Ben Affleck, and has proven to me that after three films, Affleck may be one of the most talented directors in the current age of Hollywood. Ben Affleck has had a bumpy career with his acting, I mean he has sucked ( Expand
UltimateBubFeb 5, 2015
I can barely believe how good this movie is. It may not be necessarily perfect, but it's got so many great things going on. The acting is impeccable, the direction is great... but the standout is definitely the plot, the story. It's got suchI can barely believe how good this movie is. It may not be necessarily perfect, but it's got so many great things going on. The acting is impeccable, the direction is great... but the standout is definitely the plot, the story. It's got such suspense and it's so entertaining that you soon forget the notion that "Argo" may sound like a boring film. Quite the opposite actually. Expand
jimboesqDec 31, 2012
The movie is well-filmed, well-acted, well-directed and well-written. I connected with it emotionally. Yet, as soon as I left the theater, I felt a little empty. The perception that it is an Oscar contender may have set the bar too high. ItsThe movie is well-filmed, well-acted, well-directed and well-written. I connected with it emotionally. Yet, as soon as I left the theater, I felt a little empty. The perception that it is an Oscar contender may have set the bar too high. Its been out for several weeks. So 24 hours later, three factors account for my ambivalent attitude. First, I felt a lack of connection with the hostages whose lives are at stake. (remember those Die Hard movies?) The file does attempt to connect with them and give us insight into their captivity so "A" for effort. Yet, the story is centered on Ben Affleck who seems to be adopting the Clint Eastwood 'less-is more' acting persona. Second, the movie lacks true suspense because we all know the hostages successfully escape. So in order to compensate for the lack of suspense, the director alters the timeline to create fear and apprehension. It feels contrived. The film has to make it seem as if they won't escape and but the we-are -running-out-of-time- device wears thin. Iin the beginning of the film director Affleck quite successfully uses John Goodman and Alan Arkin's characters to co-create a cover story for CIA agent Affleck's film venture to Iran. But when these characters no longer serve the story, the director nevertheless keeps them involved to generate suspense, humor and emotion. Then, at the climatic ending of the film, Affleck's character who we were told was separated from his wife and family, and whom we never met, goes home to his wife and family. Obviously, this movies heart is in the right place but its apparent who is pulling the strings. [At the movie rating : 7-8; DVD rental: 8-9] Expand
mschoaNov 15, 2012
Loved the movie. For a change, we see a government agency functioning well, in this case, the CIA. The cooperation rendered by the Canadians is also wonderful to see. This offsets the typical news items we hear about all day. There are stillLoved the movie. For a change, we see a government agency functioning well, in this case, the CIA. The cooperation rendered by the Canadians is also wonderful to see. This offsets the typical news items we hear about all day. There are still some highly functional people out there, although there are fewer and fewer of them. Tony Mendez has been totally unknown to most people until now. A true hero. I salute him.
Kudos to Ben Affleck for a thrilling film. He's grown up right before our eyes, and is now a substantive director.
Potarto72Dec 21, 2014
Argo has great direction and acting, and builds up a thrilling and convincing piece of history. Despite accusations of inaccuracy and nationalism (even though the film only focuses on one small, isolated group of people undergoing a minorArgo has great direction and acting, and builds up a thrilling and convincing piece of history. Despite accusations of inaccuracy and nationalism (even though the film only focuses on one small, isolated group of people undergoing a minor operation), this is still a very intense and gripping story that shouldn't be passed up. Expand
moslegend34Dec 4, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'If we're going to make a fake movie, we're going to make a fake hit!'
Mr. Affleck, you've made a real one, an authentic masterpiece, which, even if some parts of the story were emebellished, paints a wonderful portrait of the human spirit. Combining geeky sci-fi ideas and spy like knowledge, one of the most unlikely heists imaginable is undertaken.
As mentioned though, this is not only about effects and jargon- it's about cunning, brains, teamwork and above all enormous courage against all odds. Affleck for me, not only delivers a career director's performance but acts superbly as well. The best film of the year; great scenery, cultural and historical context and wit. 9.5/10
PaganostaghettiOct 12, 2012
Remember the days of Daredevil, Gigli, and Surviving Christmas? The days when Ben Affleck was everywhere, doing many films a year, most of which turned out horrid? Turns out all it took was for him to step behind the camera and startRemember the days of Daredevil, Gigli, and Surviving Christmas? The days when Ben Affleck was everywhere, doing many films a year, most of which turned out horrid? Turns out all it took was for him to step behind the camera and start directing his own films to begin a new career as a person actually worth talking about again. With Gone Baby Gone and The Town, he met critical success, and with Argo his trend of successful films continues. Adapting a true-but-absurd story for Hollywood can be difficult, but its playful nature about it as well as tension-filled moments equate to another milestone in Affleck Expand
podunk411Nov 28, 2012
Maybe my expectations were too high, but Argo fell a little flat for me. Definitely an old-school spy caper with "docudrama" feel given the real story. However several of the suspense/thriller moments felt contrived (though some were wellMaybe my expectations were too high, but Argo fell a little flat for me. Definitely an old-school spy caper with "docudrama" feel given the real story. However several of the suspense/thriller moments felt contrived (though some were well done) including the ending act. Ben Affleck was good, but probably miscast himself--which is a real career hazard when Actor turns Director. Really liked John Goodman and Alan Arkin as the Hollywood guys--overall, a pretty good film but as far as great (recent) spy capers to me: Tinker Tailor Solder Spy and the Bourne movies hold the top honors Expand
vmd1020Oct 13, 2012
Really solid film, super suspenseful and has you wondering down to the wire. Although I looked up details after and it is not overly accurate, it is a great film. Also, the similarities in some of the characters to their real counterparts wasReally solid film, super suspenseful and has you wondering down to the wire. Although I looked up details after and it is not overly accurate, it is a great film. Also, the similarities in some of the characters to their real counterparts was really awesome to see. Expand
moviebuff_420Dec 23, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must say this movie is just amazing.
I did not know about the Canadian Caper incident but now i know more than anything.

This is Ben Affleck's Masterpiece and it is breathtaking.
Ben plays the master of disguise Tony Mendez and is quite a performance.
Every actor especially who plays the trapped civialians are truly good.
no wonder it has won an Oscar for Best movie and Best Adapted screenplay

Tense,dark,gloomy,clever and occasionally funny,
it is so entertaining and not too long
you would wonder how short it was.

Alan Arkin really makes us laugh with his clever jokes .
Cinematography is top-notch.
The locations,sets and everything about this movie is so great.
The climax is incredible so are the credits.

R.I.P the victims and Praise the lord who sent a real hero to save those people and all the people who were on this case helping them.

In Nutshell,Argo is masterpiece of modern film making.
it makes us so happy so you cannot resist without saying "Argo f**k yourself.
ninja_dolphinJul 30, 2013
This movie was thrilling and an interesting story to be told in the form of film. Performances by the actors were incredibly convincing and the film was fantastically directed. Being unfamiliar with the subject matter however led to myThis movie was thrilling and an interesting story to be told in the form of film. Performances by the actors were incredibly convincing and the film was fantastically directed. Being unfamiliar with the subject matter however led to my disappointment when I realized the the movie made some changes from the original events. This was mainly to make the movie more tense, especially near the end of the movie, but alot of changes were made to increase the role of america in the event and diminish Canada's role and leave out the roles of countries like the UK and New Zealand completely. Overall if you ignore the fact that the movie is historically inaccurate then you've got a tense, enjoyable movie Expand
wordy_actionsOct 30, 2012
Well written, directed, and acted. The movie has a very authentic feel to it, though there are many changes from the true story (almost all for the better). A must watch for anyone even remotely interested in the subject matter.
LetzTalkMoveezOct 22, 2012
It seems like a guarantee now; while Ben Afleck probably won't do much in the way of surprising us in the future, we can always look to him to make movies like "Argo". It goes by the numbers mostly and ends up surprisingly anti-climactic, butIt seems like a guarantee now; while Ben Afleck probably won't do much in the way of surprising us in the future, we can always look to him to make movies like "Argo". It goes by the numbers mostly and ends up surprisingly anti-climactic, but through the strong performances and great direction remains a terrifically staged, technically sound, captivating piece of filmmaking that I'm sure will hold up for decades to come. Expand
RecycledAirJul 4, 2013
A triumphant piece of cinema. Argo consists of tension, sincerity, mystery, artistic responsibility, entertainment value, technical expertise, cinematography that seems like eye candy to the viewers and starling performances delivered by aA triumphant piece of cinema. Argo consists of tension, sincerity, mystery, artistic responsibility, entertainment value, technical expertise, cinematography that seems like eye candy to the viewers and starling performances delivered by a cast of breakthrough actors. After years of experience in the movie world, I think Affleck has finally given us his masterpiece. This is a near flawless film given to us with an old-school espionage thrill ride with a truly flawless script along with dialogue that offers us with many memorable quotes and sarcastic and witty comedic relief. Every actor on screen does his or her job but there were three supporting actors that stole the every scene they were in: Bryan Cranston, Alan Arkin and John Goodman. A film worth remembering. Expand
outsideinNov 9, 2012
Argo-Nuts!

Argo-Nuts!

Ben Affleck is the new Clint Eastwood, but better; not only is he the finest actor turned director, but he makes the barely moving Eastwood look like an emoting Brando bellowing 'Stella! at the foot of the stairs. Wooden is high praise indeed for his lead (or is it lead?) performance.

Argo is his third outing and manages to surpass The Town and Gone Baby Gone. Affleck loves tightly plotted, unflashy thrillers, and this 'true story' is the tightest, unflashiest bit of brilliance yet. I thought he would do a George V. Higgins first, but no. Someone less good did Cogan's Trade. The story is a barely credible account of how a CIA man - with Canadian help - rescued 6 Americans from wacky Iran in 1980. It is nail biting, re-creates the mood precisely, and features great non-performances from the cast - it almost plays as a documentary in Iran, but that is down to the skill of the cast and Affleck.

Walking off with the acting honors are John Goodman and Alan Arkin, who, back in La La Land, supply a fake Hollywood backstory for the escape. They are funny, sharp and add the spice that the rest of the film deliberately avoids like poison. The script is exemplarly, tight, believable, and compelling.

Films this good never win Oscars. They are not flashy enough, emotional enough, and they never do great box office. But they do win Blockies - my own awards.

I am nominating Argo for Best Picture and Affleck for Best Director. It has a shot at winning both, depending on how the rest of 2012 goes.
SchizophreniacOct 18, 2013
Especially I won't forget the escape scene with aircraft from Iran. I feel the operation Argo, I feel like I am in this Argo operation now. It impressed me, I feel some complicated feels but this film is in my hits.
hardkor33Aug 5, 2013
Argo 8/10.............................................................................................................................................
cnrcnrJan 27, 2013
great film! not sure I understand the hype? good storyline and screen play, but nothing extra special? ben Affleck is obviously talented as a director, writer and actor. but for me it falls short of any other critically acclaimed film thisgreat film! not sure I understand the hype? good storyline and screen play, but nothing extra special? ben Affleck is obviously talented as a director, writer and actor. but for me it falls short of any other critically acclaimed film this year? Alan Arkin is superb and partnered with John Goodman they make a humours, realistic depiction of their characters. A great film, and a must see if you like a tense drama... but isn't the best film of the year? its barely memorable! Expand
BlakePNov 1, 2012
No doubt in my mind that Ben Affleck is one of the best actor turned directors. With sharp writing and a good amount of suspense, "Argo" is a classy, inventive thriller that keeps you at the edge of your seat.
firefighterrFeb 2, 2013
It's an interesting movie and well directed. It gives you some insight as to what happened. Though I would have liked some scenes on the other embassy employees that were held hostage. The best part for me was seeing the old Swissair 747 takeIt's an interesting movie and well directed. It gives you some insight as to what happened. Though I would have liked some scenes on the other embassy employees that were held hostage. The best part for me was seeing the old Swissair 747 take off.... (But that's just because I'm Swiss)........... Btw, that 747 was named Argovia (after the Kanton/State Aargau) Argo is the short version. Expand