7.8

1. Aug 13, 2014
    Argo is an good slow-growth film that caps with a fantastically tense ending. If you can stand a slower movie without things constantly exploding for you then you should absolutely see this movie.
  2. Jul 17, 2014
    This is a well done film by Ben Affleck who gives sharp direction and acting to this movie. It's triumphant and thrilling. Great performances from Affleck, Cranston, Alda, Goodman and the supporting cast
  3. May 25, 2014
    So this is my first film that i have watched that Ben Affleck has directed. Though i do own the town i have not watched it yet. But now after watching this movie i will now have to find the time to watch that and also gone baby gone. So this film is about the 1979 true story of the rescue of six American's from Iran, while most the film has a really gritty serious tone as it should they do seem to place some dark humor in it... well as much as they could.

The whole cast sold it from the start Ben Affleck/Alan Arkin/John Goodman/Bryan Cranston all just killed it but for me Alan Arkin stole the show everytime the guy is on the screen he steals it. The last half hour of the movie was so intense it's crazy pulse pounding nail biting tension i have not had that felling while watching a movie in some time well maybe just not to that extent. Now i can see how this film won best picture at the Oscars this year. Also i'm a bit mad at myself for not watching this film while it was still in theaters.

A great film that everyone should at least take the time to give it a watch i don't regret watching it Overall i give this movie an 8.5

Oh Yeah Argo F**K Youself =D
  4. May 11, 2014
    Interesting start
    Then comes abrupt stall somewhere between Hollywood and BBC
    So many usual hardships like divorced hero with a Son in shared custody far far away
    People do strange thing under duress but I am sure it wasn't like n this movie when embassy opens its doors because some officer wanted to reason with hostagetakers
    Couldn't bear it
    4 only
  5. Apr 16, 2014
    Cuando empece a verla en un principio me convenció, pero conforme avanza la historia se vuelve muy comercial con muchos tintes patrióticos, la verdad no sentí que los personajes estuvieran en un verdadero peligro, rescato los últimos minutos cuando están a punto de subir del avión, en donde agarra tensión, pero eso nada mas, ni la trama socio-política es muy buena, eso si tiene un buen montaje. Expand
  6. Apr 12, 2014
    Argo F#&K Yourself is all this movie is telling the audience literally. Im probably being biased, but this movie is really boring and slow. for an academy nominated movie it sure sucked, i woke up during the Arabs arguing in Arabic, and throwing stuff at each other. So i turned it off an watched Seinfeld. i love Cramer.
  7. Apr 7, 2014
    Ben Affleck's swift, skillful direction - including a fantastic opening sequence - fails to disguise the fact that "Argo" lacks any real style or substance, offering instead bland characterizations and caper cliches, not to mention gross historical inaccuracies that make this "epic" perilously close to a fabrication.
  8. Mar 18, 2014
    I don't understand why this has such great reviews. It was a boring as all hell patriotic American BS movie that drags along until the end. Boring story.
  9. Mar 13, 2014
    Very tense and very well done. The directing was perfect to make the situation as tense and intense as it truly was. It was very entertaining and very interesting. However nothing about the film seemed particularly innovative or new. A good film, yes. Best picture worthy, questionable.
  10. Mar 8, 2014
    The buildup was a bit slow, but once it gets going, it's just awesome. It's thrilling, suspenseful, and well-directed. I mean, just think about the dialogue and the acting, and this movie really stands out.
  11. Feb 6, 2014
    Argo is for all intensive purposes one of the most over hyped films in quite sometime and given the fact that it is on the edge of being propaganda one can quickly realize why. While I applaud Afflek's continuing development as a director. This work aside from his direction is sub-par at best. Like all based on a true story films it is extremely loosely based, but the sheer fact that it is based on reality robs the movie of all suspense. Reality is fine for docudrama's but reality in terms of suspense is quite dull. Argo is a film that needs you to leave your brain at the door and hopes that you know not of things like history or something other ethnic stereotypes. From an entertainment standpoint that is usually a good choice in any film, check out and buy into what they are selling. However from a technical standpoint it creates films that falter.
    On Entertainment value I would give it a 7.5
    On the Poe Scale however it gets a 6.5

Acting: 1/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 1.5/2
    Writing: 1.5/2
  12. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must say this movie is just amazing.
    I did not know about the Canadian Caper incident but now i know more than anything.

This is Ben Affleck's Masterpiece and it is breathtaking.
    Ben plays the master of disguise Tony Mendez and is quite a performance.
    Every actor especially who plays the trapped civialians are truly good.
    no wonder it has won an Oscar for Best movie and Best Adapted screenplay

Tense,dark,gloomy,clever and occasionally funny,
    it is so entertaining and not too long
    you would wonder how short it was.

Alan Arkin really makes us laugh with his clever jokes .
    Cinematography is top-notch.
    The locations,sets and everything about this movie is so great.
    The climax is incredible so are the credits.

R.I.P the victims and Praise the lord who sent a real hero to save those people and all the people who were on this case helping them.

In Nutshell,Argo is masterpiece of modern film making.
    it makes us so happy so you cannot resist without saying "Argo f**k yourself.
  13. Dec 14, 2013
    The third movie in direction for Ben Affleck brings the world of old fashioned thriller movie into 2012 which is about 6 Americans trapped in Iraq ,the movie is outstanding directing ,acting great script is just WOW!
  14. Dec 14, 2013
    Argo balances suspense with fun and entertainment very well despite its slow pace. Although it falls short on expectations, it's old-school feel and tension escalates it from falling flat.
  15. Oct 18, 2013
    Especially I won't forget the escape scene with aircraft from Iran. I feel the operation Argo, I feel like I am in this Argo operation now. It impressed me, I feel some complicated feels but this film is in my hits.
  16. Oct 4, 2013
    horrible display of american propaganda apart of that stiff very slow moving plot and uninteresting characters. Dont recommend it to anyone.
    Dont watch it but looks like no one has anyways judging by the number of rating this picture got.
  17. Sep 24, 2013
    Not a bad film at all, does not fail to build massive tension throughout the end... but i was disappointed due the fact that this ends up in typical exaggerated american style "we are the good guys and we always win".

It's great that they make films about historic events, but i think it's just an absolutely onesided view of events.
  18. Sep 22, 2013
    Argo is a true story, so it`s amazing, but did not make for a great movie for me. It`s interesting, but did not blow me away, and I wouldn`t care much for it if it was all made up. I did find it watchable, and worth finishing for the movie rush at the end.
  19. Sep 21, 2013
    One of a kind movie! Ben Affleck does a great job directing and portraying the main character. You hold your breath every step of the way until the end. It's unbelievable that it was based on a true CIA story. It's a real life Mission Impossible. The movie contains every detail from the characters to the era fashion. Clean movie and historic film for the family to watch, no profanity or nudity.
  20. Aug 27, 2013
    There should be restrictions on the use of the expression "Based on a true story" because in this case, lies far surpass what really happened. This movie represents everything that is shameful about American narcissism. This work has twisted the facts in favor of the U.S. image without respect for those who risked more than their reputations. I know it is a product of hollywood not considered a documentary, but if the goal is creating a fanciful story, it is better to let history undefiled. Finally, it is surprising that so many have acknowledged the work with so little knowledge (newspapers, academy awards).
    Canada, non-revolutionary Iranians, New-Zealand had way more to do with the results than Tony Mendez.
  21. Aug 23, 2013
    The idea is profoundly astonishing, and the reality that these events were reality, were even more astonishing. It's only downfall, unfortunately, is its bias towards the Americans. In general, I admire Ben Affleck as a director and producer, as well as John Goodman and Alan Arkin for the laughs they bring into the movie. The fake suspension makes the movie less banal, and for that I contemplate whether I like or hate it. Expand
  22. Aug 7, 2013
    A movie with some definite potential that didn't quite make it. There were some great scenes mixed in with some average which left me disappointed.

Seemed very much a US propaganda piece that bastardized actual events. Are all middle-eastern men inherently evil? Are all American men misunderstood heros? The movie gave me this impression, from a non-partisan point of view it left a
    bitter taste.. especially with the perpetual war-hungry state the USA seems to be in. Congratulating the CIA? I think i need a shower.

Some good cinematography and sets. Good acting in parts although i felt the movie dwelt on Affleck's character & the fake Hollywood studio too much.. the comedy moments seemed forced.
  23. Aug 5, 2013
    Argo 8/10.............................................................................................................................................
  24. Jul 30, 2013
    This movie was thrilling and an interesting story to be told in the form of film. Performances by the actors were incredibly convincing and the film was fantastically directed. Being unfamiliar with the subject matter however led to my disappointment when I realized the the movie made some changes from the original events. This was mainly to make the movie more tense, especially near the end of the movie, but alot of changes were made to increase the role of america in the event and diminish Canada's role and leave out the roles of countries like the UK and New Zealand completely. Overall if you ignore the fact that the movie is historically inaccurate then you've got a tense, enjoyable movie Expand
  25. Jul 29, 2013
    "Gone Baby Gone," "The Town," and now "Argo," Ben Affleck scores a hat trick with three acclaimed films that exhibit his impressive command behind the camera. Producing the film with George Clooney and Grat Heslov, who worked with Mr. Affleck for the award winning "Good Night, and Good Luck,” (2005) "Argo" is also based on history, with its fair share of dramatic license, that uniquely incorporates Hollywood during the tumultuous times of the Iran hostage crisis of the late 70's to early 80's.

“Argo” opens with a compelling re-creation of the takeover of the U.S. Embassy in Iran by militant students. It's November 4, 1979 and the world is about to change. Civilians force their way into the Embassy slowly, then, once the gates are forced open, in droves. Employees and diplomats rush to shred and incinerate all sensitive material before the building is completely overtaken. Six of them Bob Anders (Tate Donovan), Lee Schatz (Rory Cochrane), Mark and Cora Lijek (Christopher Denham and Clea DuVall), and Joe and Kathy Stafford (Scoot McNairy and Kerry Bishe) escape and make it to the residence of Canadian ambassador Ken Taylor (Victor Garber), where they are hidden for nearly 3 months.

The State Department, helped by the CIA, decides to mount a rescue mission. By mid-January, concerns are rising that, if the diplomats aren't smuggled out of Iran, they may be captured and publicly executed. The Canadian government, concerned about the safety of the ambassador and his staff, is also applying pressure. CIA director Jack O'Donnell (Bryan Cranston) calls in agent Tony Mendez (Affleck), an infiltration expert, to devise a plan to get the six people out. The primary problem is that there is no viable reason why a half-dozen North Americans would be wandering Tehran. With the help of Hollywood make-up artist John Chambers (John Goodman) and producer Lester Siegel (Alan Arkin), Tony establishes a fake production company for a cheesy sci-fi movie called “Argo,” and devises a cover story that will hopefully allow them to pass through security at the airport and board a Swiss Air flight.

“Argo,” is directed with flair and style by an admired actor/director, and as a period recreation it is just about flawless. There is a notable lack of on-screen bloodshed or violence, confident in its compelling story to invoke edge-of-your-seat tension. The movie has a surprisingly celebratory, feel-good tone rather than dwelling on any political overtones or commentary. The film is made to resemble something coming out of that era, integrating archive footage that lends authenticity to the retelling of the "Canadian Caper.”

A closing-credits side-by-side montage shows to what lengths Affleck has gone to re-create the real-life places and people of "Argo,” and its his impressive command behind the camera the staging, editing, and the calibrated progression of the story, especially its harrowing final moments that solidifies Mr. Affleck as a talented and formidable director. "Argo" deserves to find the discerning audience it has been made for: After all, if we buy tickets, it hopefully leads to more intelligent, sophisticated filmmaking.
  26. Jul 25, 2013
    how the critics gave this movie an 8 out of 10 is beyond me! i guess critics are into incredibly bland movies or they must've got paid to give this movie a high score! this movie drags; the dialogue is uninteresting, the pace drags, there is no suspense or thrills! the only thrill i got was the beginning of the movie and when theyre riding through the crowd of angry israel's! other than that though this movie was bland, dry, and devoid of any suspense or thrills! the only reason why im not giving this turd bomb a 0 out of 10 is because the popcorn they gave me at the theatre was damn good! i got more entertainment hearing the crunch of the popcorn as i chewed it! i got more entertainment out playing with my thumbs!

3 out of 10!

the only postives i can give this movie is the beginning, the bus ride, and the popcorn i had while watching the movie! send this piece of back to the vagabonds of hell from whence it came from!
  27. Jul 23, 2013
    I liked Argo. In fact I even bought it on DVD. It's a very well made movie and it's entertaining. Afleck directs it with attention to detail and the story is rendered with a well written screenplay. The acting is solid from all of the cast and there are some tense and exciting moments. It also has a very authentic 70's feel, even utilizing vintage styled cinematography at times. All of that being said, I still found it to be very overrated. Yes there are some tense moments, but I wished there were even more, and the ones in the film, except for the beginning, could have been even tenser, seeing what Afleck did with The Town. The car chase at the end felt fake for some reason and some other scenes felt kinda flat too. Yes it's overall a good movie and another success for Afleck, but I don't think it deserved best picture. I think it should have went to Zero Dark Thirty, or Django Unchained, even though they had slimmer chances of winning than the hostages had of making it out alive. Expand
  28. Jul 4, 2013
    A triumphant piece of cinema. Argo consists of tension, sincerity, mystery, artistic responsibility, entertainment value, technical expertise, cinematography that seems like eye candy to the viewers and starling performances delivered by a cast of breakthrough actors. After years of experience in the movie world, I think Affleck has finally given us his masterpiece. This is a near flawless film given to us with an old-school espionage thrill ride with a truly flawless script along with dialogue that offers us with many memorable quotes and sarcastic and witty comedic relief. Every actor on screen does his or her job but there were three supporting actors that stole the every scene they were in: Bryan Cranston, Alan Arkin and John Goodman. A film worth remembering. Expand
  29. Jul 3, 2013
    Amazing, well acted, well directed, gorgeous, breathtaking, suspenseful, amazing, well shot, wonderfully executed, and the list goes on and on. Argo, is a truly unique story and what makes it more unique is that all the events in the film actually happened. Argo is gold! A cinematic experience that will keep you at the edge of your seat the entire time. Its good old fashioned suspenseful excitement that is complete eye candy. I guarantee that ANYONE who watches this movie will enjoy it in any way, shape or form. Go watch Argo! Expand
  30. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautiful film that was nailed to the people, because this movie was made about my country.
    I had got a movie.
    Oscar was really the writing life.
    Mr. Affleck hurt.
    Blowing hot

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Nov 5, 2012
    An old-school espionage thriller with a movie-biz comedy twist, all the better for being (almost) entirely true. It is to Ben Affleck's credit that the tension and laughs complement rather than neutralise each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Jordan
    Oct 17, 2012
    Combining laughs and thrills with plenty of verve, Ben Affleck continues his smart directorial career with a stylish, gripping hostage drama.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 12, 2012
    Argo isn't quite on the level of the Sidney Lumet classics to which Affleck pays stylistic homage - smart and taut as it is, it lacks the broader political vision of a film like "Dog Day Afternoon." But Lumet lite still goes down pretty smooth.