Argo

7.7

1. Jan 26, 2013
    I would have liked this movie a lot better if it weren't so fast and loose with the facts. For starters, the ending is complete Hollywood b.s. In real life the hostages didn't have any trouble boarding their flight and there was no chase down the tarmac. But hey, the change made for a more suspenseful ending which. let's face it, sells more tickets. Most offensive, though, was the lack ofI would have liked this movie a lot better if it weren't so fast and loose with the facts. For starters, the ending is complete Hollywood b.s. In real life the hostages didn't have any trouble boarding their flight and there was no chase down the tarmac. But hey, the change made for a more suspenseful ending which. let's face it, sells more tickets. Most offensive, though, was the lack of credit the film gives the Canadians for the role they played in getting the American hostages free. Leave it to the Americans to beat their chests and take all the credit for themselves while portraying the Canadians are mere "innkeepers". Expand
  2. Mar 29, 2013
    IF this movie is an 8 and frankly I gave it an 8 mainly because it won the Oscar for best film it is certainly a weak 8. While an interesting film, there is little special going on here. This really makes one wonder about the entire awards process. An entertaining two hours, but nothing that will leave you feeling you have seen something extraordinary.
  3. Sep 1, 2014
    Affleck has directed and crafted one of the best films of not only this year, but of his entire career. This film manages to take a true story and turn it into a masterpiece.
  4. Jan 9, 2013
    Alan Arkin stole the show in this movie, but all of the supporting cast delivered authentic heartfelt performances. It was suspenseful and smoothly paced. One of the better films I have seen recently.
  5. Oct 12, 2012
    Thirty-five of the last 40 minutes of the film
  6. Feb 18, 2013
    Argo is a great story that sells itself on the fact that it is an insane, but true story. It's a good movie, but it really isn't great in any capacity. The performances were on, but afflec's distance felt forced. The story was interesting, but very predictable, and very Hollywood (I guess that might be part of the point, so we'll let that pass). There wasn't anything bad in Argo, in fact,Argo is a great story that sells itself on the fact that it is an insane, but true story. It's a good movie, but it really isn't great in any capacity. The performances were on, but afflec's distance felt forced. The story was interesting, but very predictable, and very Hollywood (I guess that might be part of the point, so we'll let that pass). There wasn't anything bad in Argo, in fact, you could say it was flawless. However, I don't feel it did justice to the historical situation, and that something was indeed missing. In a year that didn't include Zero Dark Thirty, I might not be looking for that extra something, but I digress. Expand
  7. Mar 13, 2014
    Very tense and very well done. The directing was perfect to make the situation as tense and intense as it truly was. It was very entertaining and very interesting. However nothing about the film seemed particularly innovative or new. A good film, yes. Best picture worthy, questionable.
  8. Dec 22, 2012
    Fantastic movie. Ben Affleck is awesome in the lead role and while this was obviously not 110% historically accurate, it was still great look at one of the most contentious issues in US history.
  9. Oct 20, 2012
    Is this a good movie? Yes, definitely. The acting is spot on, even from the smaller role or even lesser known actors and the set pieces are breathtaking. However there are certain spots of the movie that drag, an others that transition too quickly from thrilling to calm. I wasnt alive during the Iran Hostage Crisis, so maybe I lose some of the feelings that are attached to this movie. ButIs this a good movie? Yes, definitely. The acting is spot on, even from the smaller role or even lesser known actors and the set pieces are breathtaking. However there are certain spots of the movie that drag, an others that transition too quickly from thrilling to calm. I wasnt alive during the Iran Hostage Crisis, so maybe I lose some of the feelings that are attached to this movie. But in a year of average films, this is at the top. Expand
  10. Jan 24, 2013
    When Ben Affleck released his first film as director, Gone Baby Gone, most were expecting it to be a flop, because as history tells us, not many successful actors can just switch gears and become very successful directors. Well, Ben has managed to do both, very successfully, I might add. The Town was such a hit, Ben knew that he had to find something and work extremely hard for his nextWhen Ben Affleck released his first film as director, Gone Baby Gone, most were expecting it to be a flop, because as history tells us, not many successful actors can just switch gears and become very successful directors. Well, Ben has managed to do both, very successfully, I might add. The Town was such a hit, Ben knew that he had to find something and work extremely hard for his next film. And he struck GOLD with Argo. With the history lesson at the beginning, you knew that Ben wanted the audience to grasp on to the full story and not just nose dive in without any backstory on why this was what it was. The tension and the thrill of it all really made for an excellent movie. I felt that the movie progressed too fast and most certainly could have been longer, but regardless this was still a great movie. With all the nominations in the category of Best Picture, it certainly wouldn't be a shock if Argo walked away with this Oscar. And it most certainly is a crime that Ben Affleck didn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Director. Expand
  11. Oct 20, 2012
    The film is a whopper of a tale, one designed for Oscar nominations, Best Picture and Best Director among them , 'Argo' is one of the best movies of the year. Hollywood stop the remakes http://www.facebook.com/pages/Remake-Movies-is-Killing-Hollywood/361119783969397
  12. Nov 8, 2012
    Argo represents the American purposes: get a plan to save their citizens, no matter what. Ben Affleck shows himself as a great director and actor too, once again. Argo is pure action; an amazing piece of thriller that makes you wish so bad that they will arrive in safety to their country. More than dedication, Argo shows the real matter to the Americans.
  13. Nov 14, 2012
    Guess who finally grew up and stopped being a dumb "Chowder-head" from Beantown? Affleck is a far better Director than actor. Also he excels in serious films rather than bubblegum garbage. This is a must see. Also any film with Alan Arkin is good, sort of a law of nature. It really does help to know something about the fall of Shah of Iran and the Student's Revolution. If you areGuess who finally grew up and stopped being a dumb "Chowder-head" from Beantown? Affleck is a far better Director than actor. Also he excels in serious films rather than bubblegum garbage. This is a must see. Also any film with Alan Arkin is good, sort of a law of nature. It really does help to know something about the fall of Shah of Iran and the Student's Revolution. If you are historically challenged, you might want to watch a cartoon or something. Expand
  14. Aug 5, 2013
    Argo 8/10.............................................................................................................................................
  15. Jan 25, 2013
    If you ever grind drama, suspense and a hint of comedy together you would definitely get a fully baked
  16. Mar 31, 2013
    I went into watching Argo with an open mind as I was unfamiliar with the subject matter. I decided to watch it due to its high rating. All I can say is that I'm glad I gave it a try. With Argo you get an intelligent thriller packed with plenty of suspense and tension (particularly the last 30 minutes). All the main cast put on solid performances Affleck was good, but I felt John GoodmanI went into watching Argo with an open mind as I was unfamiliar with the subject matter. I decided to watch it due to its high rating. All I can say is that I'm glad I gave it a try. With Argo you get an intelligent thriller packed with plenty of suspense and tension (particularly the last 30 minutes). All the main cast put on solid performances Affleck was good, but I felt John Goodman was excellent in the limited screen time that he had). The plot is good and it unfolds at an even pace, I didn't feel that there were any scenes that were dragged out for too long. My only gripe was the airport chase scene towards the end which I felt was totally unrealistic.

Having said that, I would say Argo is still highly recommended viewing. Enjoy!
  17. May 10, 2013
    Compared to the book basis is laughable, but with cinematographic look is very interesting, because its narrative line is modern and funny, but knows how to be serious and rough, the dialogues are otimos especially when the topic is holiwood, the second best thing is the performance of Alan Arkin, who gives a satirical tone in the dialogues, another very interesting thing is the accuracyCompared to the book basis is laughable, but with cinematographic look is very interesting, because its narrative line is modern and funny, but knows how to be serious and rough, the dialogues are otimos especially when the topic is holiwood, the second best thing is the performance of Alan Arkin, who gives a satirical tone in the dialogues, another very interesting thing is the accuracy of the portrayal of facts acontecidos.Esse film proves that Ben Afleck can indeed perform well and drive good shape. Expand
  18. May 25, 2014
    So this is my first film that i have watched that Ben Affleck has directed. Though i do own the town i have not watched it yet. But now after watching this movie i will now have to find the time to watch that and also gone baby gone. So this film is about the 1979 true story of the rescue of six American's from Iran, while most the film has a really gritty serious tone as it should they doSo this is my first film that i have watched that Ben Affleck has directed. Though i do own the town i have not watched it yet. But now after watching this movie i will now have to find the time to watch that and also gone baby gone. So this film is about the 1979 true story of the rescue of six American's from Iran, while most the film has a really gritty serious tone as it should they do seem to place some dark humor in it... well as much as they could.

The whole cast sold it from the start Ben Affleck/Alan Arkin/John Goodman/Bryan Cranston all just killed it but for me Alan Arkin stole the show everytime the guy is on the screen he steals it. The last half hour of the movie was so intense it's crazy pulse pounding nail biting tension i have not had that felling while watching a movie in some time well maybe just not to that extent. Now i can see how this film won best picture at the Oscars this year. Also i'm a bit mad at myself for not watching this film while it was still in theaters.

A great film that everyone should at least take the time to give it a watch i don't regret watching it Overall i give this movie an 8.5

Oh Yeah Argo F**K Youself =D
  19. Oct 18, 2013
    Especially I won't forget the escape scene with aircraft from Iran. I feel the operation Argo, I feel like I am in this Argo operation now. It impressed me, I feel some complicated feels but this film is in my hits.
  20. Dec 14, 2013
    Argo balances suspense with fun and entertainment very well despite its slow pace. Although it falls short on expectations, it's old-school feel and tension escalates it from falling flat.
  21. Dec 19, 2014
    Smart, tense and well directed, "Argo" succeeds not just as a great movie but as a realistic political thriller that keeps audience entertained for 2 hours.
  22. Nov 9, 2014
    Argo balances suspense with fun and entertainment very well despite its slow pace. Although it falls short of Oscar winning expectations, it's old-school feel and tension escalates it from falling flat.
  23. May 23, 2015
    Based on real events, this movie is about an agent going in to extract six Americans who are trapped in Iran. Their only way out is to pretend they were looking for locations for a Star Wars rip off called "Argo." Most of the movie felt realistic and the acting was well done. The story may sound boring to some but I'd still encourage those people to watch it because it's actually quiteBased on real events, this movie is about an agent going in to extract six Americans who are trapped in Iran. Their only way out is to pretend they were looking for locations for a Star Wars rip off called "Argo." Most of the movie felt realistic and the acting was well done. The story may sound boring to some but I'd still encourage those people to watch it because it's actually quite interesting. Expand
  24. Jan 14, 2016
    It’s a highly entertaining movie. An awesome thriller film.

Watch this movie for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-178063-Argo-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  25. Mar 29, 2013
    If I were to criticize the film I’d have to say is that it was overrated. It was good but it was not that good. I quite honestly was not invested the whole time only at certain parts. Maybe this is not my kind of film. Maybe I’m just not used to the style. I don’t know for whatever reason the movie did not suck me in the way it did lots of critics. Frequently in the film I was bored. IIf I were to criticize the film I’d have to say is that it was overrated. It was good but it was not that good. I quite honestly was not invested the whole time only at certain parts. Maybe this is not my kind of film. Maybe I’m just not used to the style. I don’t know for whatever reason the movie did not suck me in the way it did lots of critics. Frequently in the film I was bored. I don’t know if the characters and story were not interesting, if it was the amount of dialogue; but for whatever reason I just thought it was good. Maybe if the film took more liberties from the actual event by creating false events to create more tension and excitement, the actors gave stronger performances, and the script a little tighter I would have really enjoyed this film; but as it is the film is just good. Way too overrated by critics if you ask me. Expand
  26. Nov 28, 2012
    Maybe my expectations were too high, but Argo fell a little flat for me. Definitely an old-school spy caper with "docudrama" feel given the real story. However several of the suspense/thriller moments felt contrived (though some were well done) including the ending act. Ben Affleck was good, but probably miscast himself--which is a real career hazard when Actor turns Director. ReallyMaybe my expectations were too high, but Argo fell a little flat for me. Definitely an old-school spy caper with "docudrama" feel given the real story. However several of the suspense/thriller moments felt contrived (though some were well done) including the ending act. Ben Affleck was good, but probably miscast himself--which is a real career hazard when Actor turns Director. Really liked John Goodman and Alan Arkin as the Hollywood guys--overall, a pretty good film but as far as great (recent) spy capers to me: Tinker Tailor Solder Spy and the Bourne movies hold the top honors Expand
  27. May 18, 2013
    In the end, this was kind of underwhelming. The performances are fine (although Affleck doesn't do much aside from looking glum), the recreation of the events using real footage is excellently done, and the story is quite compelling, but the problem is with the script. Dialogue tends toward cliche at times and the moments of tension feel overly manufactured. The film is strongest in itsIn the end, this was kind of underwhelming. The performances are fine (although Affleck doesn't do much aside from looking glum), the recreation of the events using real footage is excellently done, and the story is quite compelling, but the problem is with the script. Dialogue tends toward cliche at times and the moments of tension feel overly manufactured. The film is strongest in its opening sequence as the hostage crisis unfolds, and in the scenes shared with John Goodman and Alan Arkin who have a lot of fun with their roles. The ending lays on the 'America Always Triumphs' adage pretty thick; it's easy to see how it won Best Film at the Oscars. Solid, if uninspiring. Expand
  28. Oct 14, 2012
    not the second coming of the gritty 70's docudrama that many say, but a mostly entertaining well done movie. despite the unique premise, nothing about it feels like something you haven't seen before. see it though if only to experience the great story.
  29. Jan 29, 2013
    Argo is a spectacular movie full of tension, drama and tricks. First, we notice that the story is very original, not only because of the invasion to the US embassy in Teheran, from where six people escaped, but also because of the idea that the CIA has to take them out of Iran, make a fake movie so this people act like the film crew. Second, everything becomes more interesting when we seeArgo is a spectacular movie full of tension, drama and tricks. First, we notice that the story is very original, not only because of the invasion to the US embassy in Teheran, from where six people escaped, but also because of the idea that the CIA has to take them out of Iran, make a fake movie so this people act like the film crew. Second, everything becomes more interesting when we see that the film is based on true events. Third, is amazing the levels of tension that reach this picture, every detail fits perfectly in the puzzle that created Ben Affleck to reveal the outcome. Fourth, there are some great scenes that show the contemporary modus operandi and mentality of the American people; like at the invasion of the embassy, the workers must destroy all the confidential documents instead of run away; another one is in the first reunion of the CIA when is noticeable that this men do not know or care of knowing about other cultures than their own; and the last one is when then protagonist goes to Hollywood and discovers that no one actually works there. Fifth, its surprising the idea of the story inside a story, because the ending of the plot in the fake film is the same that the one in the real picture. Finally this is one of those pictures were the whole cast perform good, highlighting Tony Mendez, the six that escaped and the maid of the ambassador. With an excellent direction this is definitely an outstanding film. Argo **** yourself. Expand
  30. Aug 13, 2014
    Argo is an good slow-growth film that caps with a fantastically tense ending. If you can stand a slower movie without things constantly exploding for you then you should absolutely see this movie.
  31. Dec 31, 2012
    The movie is well-filmed, well-acted, well-directed and well-written. I connected with it emotionally. Yet, as soon as I left the theater, I felt a little empty. The perception that it is an Oscar contender may have set the bar too high. Its been out for several weeks. So 24 hours later, three factors account for my ambivalent attitude. First, I felt a lack of connection with theThe movie is well-filmed, well-acted, well-directed and well-written. I connected with it emotionally. Yet, as soon as I left the theater, I felt a little empty. The perception that it is an Oscar contender may have set the bar too high. Its been out for several weeks. So 24 hours later, three factors account for my ambivalent attitude. First, I felt a lack of connection with the hostages whose lives are at stake. (remember those Die Hard movies?) The file does attempt to connect with them and give us insight into their captivity so "A" for effort. Yet, the story is centered on Ben Affleck who seems to be adopting the Clint Eastwood 'less-is more' acting persona. Second, the movie lacks true suspense because we all know the hostages successfully escape. So in order to compensate for the lack of suspense, the director alters the timeline to create fear and apprehension. It feels contrived. The film has to make it seem as if they won't escape and but the we-are -running-out-of-time- device wears thin. Iin the beginning of the film director Affleck quite successfully uses John Goodman and Alan Arkin's characters to co-create a cover story for CIA agent Affleck's film venture to Iran. But when these characters no longer serve the story, the director nevertheless keeps them involved to generate suspense, humor and emotion. Then, at the climatic ending of the film, Affleck's character who we were told was separated from his wife and family, and whom we never met, goes home to his wife and family. Obviously, this movies heart is in the right place but its apparent who is pulling the strings. [At the movie rating : 7-8; DVD rental: 8-9] Expand
  32. Nov 25, 2012
    How can one not enjoy Argo. Sure we all know how it will end, but the story was too good and the film was too well made to let that get in the way. All petty quibbles about historical inaccuracies aside, Chris Terrio
  33. Oct 28, 2012
    Argo is an intelligent film detailing a CIA covert operation during the depths of the Iranian hostage crisis is 1980. Affleck directs this taut thriller with a great command of the cinematic elements - using vintage cinematography to convey the period at hand - but the script lacks the emotional depth and characterisation seen in masterpieces of the genre. Nevertheless, it is a realisticArgo is an intelligent film detailing a CIA covert operation during the depths of the Iranian hostage crisis is 1980. Affleck directs this taut thriller with a great command of the cinematic elements - using vintage cinematography to convey the period at hand - but the script lacks the emotional depth and characterisation seen in masterpieces of the genre. Nevertheless, it is a realistic portrayal of a fascinating (and gripping) mission that does not disappoint in terms of sheer intensity. Expand
  34. Oct 15, 2012
    To go or to forgo Argo?
    See what two old-school Hollywood veterans have to say
  35. Mar 5, 2013
    All’inizio della crisi degli ostaggi in Iran, un piccolo gruppo fuoriuscito dall’ambasciata degli Stati Uniti durante l’assalto alla stessa finisce per ritrovarsi in una posizione più pericolosa rispetto ai diplomatici rimasti prigionieri: riparati in casa dell’ambasciatore canadese, non hanno addosso gli occhi del mondo e ogni giorno che passa il rischio di venir scoperti e processatiAll’inizio della crisi degli ostaggi in Iran, un piccolo gruppo fuoriuscito dall’ambasciata degli Stati Uniti durante l’assalto alla stessa finisce per ritrovarsi in una posizione più pericolosa rispetto ai diplomatici rimasti prigionieri: riparati in casa dell’ambasciatore canadese, non hanno addosso gli occhi del mondo e ogni giorno che passa il rischio di venir scoperti e processati aumenta. Per portarli a casa, la Cia si inventa un falso film di fantascienza, ‘Argo’, da girarsi in esotiche locations persiane: sul filo del rasoio, l’operazione riesce, ma l’agente Mendez che il tutto ha apparecchiato e portato a termine non può ricevere i pubblici elogi fino a quando Clinton, vent’anni dopo, non toglie il segreto sulla missione. Per raccontarne la storia, l’esordiente Affleck gira un film d’azione senza pecche, basato su di una sceneggiatura di Chris Terrio che segue la traccia dei fatti drammatizzandone alcune parti (una questione che appare secondaria, non trattandosi di un documentario). Nella prima ora, la tensione si stempera grazie ai tocchi di commedia che si possono trovare nei dialoghi serrati all’interno dell’Agenzia e durante la parentesi holliwoodiana (alcune battute sono un po’ telefonate ma pazienza…), poi il ritmo si fa sempre più serrato, fra montaggio incrociato con qualche discrepanza sui fusi orari e possibili pericoli evitati per un soffio che lasciano con il fiato sospeso. L’occhio del regista restituisce in modo efficace un mondo del tutto analogico, fatto di telescriventi e grossi nodi alla cravatta, raggiungendo i risultati migliori negli interni ambientati a Langley e inquadrati come negli anni Settanta. Alla riuscita collabora un cast esperto e ben assortito, in cui oltre all’Affleck attore, con barba e capello lungo molto Seventies spiccano Cranston (il capo duro ma sensibile) e, soprattutto, la coppia Arkin/Goodman che, a Los Angeles, fornisce la base logistica al falso film strappando anche qualche sorriso: in confronto, risultano meno definiti i sei in fuga, con il solo Scoot McNairy che ha la possibilità di rendere un po’ meno bidimensionale il suo personaggio, il più dubbioso nei confronti del piano di Mendez. Detto tutto questo, e confermato che le due ore scorrono veloci e coinvolgenti, lascia perplessi che ‘Argo’ sia stato preferito a ‘Lincoln’ nella corsa agli Oscar e l’unico motivo che pare plausibile l’eccesso patriottico. Non che il film di Spielberg manchi di retorica a stelle e strisce, ma vuoi mettere un film ambientato un secolo e mezzo fa che parla di una spaccatura interna non del tutto superata neppure oggi con uno costruito attorno a un momento storico che tantissimi di noi hanno vissuto e ha il pregio di poter nettamente separare i buoni dai cattivi? Se non fosse per il prologo in cui si accenna alla responsabilità anglo-americana nella caduta di Mossadeq che spianò la strada al feroce regime di Reza Pahlavi la Cia ne esce candida come un giglio (e alla fine rinuncia anche ad appuntarsi la medaglia al merito) mentre gli iraniani sono rappresentati, a parte la barba, alla stregua degli indiani dei film di una volta violenti, urlanti e pure un po’ tonti: se un dato di fatto che la Rivoluzione Islamica non sia stata un pranzo di gala, la banalizzazione risulta comunque fastidiosa. Expand
  36. Oct 15, 2012
    This is not a review just a few stray thoughts........

- It's a movie movie in the best sense. It keeps you entertained, provides some humor, some thrills, characters to care about but doesn't tax you too much. - Has a couple of simple but thrilling set pieces. The one at the end of the movie had me at edge of my seat, willing the characters to go where I knew they'd end... but
    This is not a review just a few stray thoughts........

- Has a couple of simple but thrilling set pieces. The one at the end of the movie had me at edge of my seat, willing the characters to go where I knew they'd end... but still thrilling. It probably didn't happen that way in real life but it's a movie.... dramatic license. I was OK with it.

- I wish the screenplay developed Affleck's main character beyond the stock ""excellent at his job, trying to spend more time with kid". We've seen that many times. He's based on a real person after all!!

- Things go too smoothly throughout. Too straightforward and simple. Yes the rescue idea is called out as being bad but everybody gets on board. The Hollywood setting up of the fake movie also goes without a hitch. Is this how it happened in real life? There is no real conflict.

- My fave line : Ladies and Gentleman alcoholic beverages can be served now as we just crossed out of Iranian air space"". As I used to travel in Middle East that announcement always meant the party can start, has more meaning in the movie; still fun to hear it.

- Don't understand the Oscar buzz for Alan Arkin. He's very funny but hardly in the movie. Yes he has almost all the funny one liners but that's "best"of year?

- Chris Messina; when are you going to get a meaty movie role? Nice to see you pop up everywhere and lead on The Mindy Project, though.
  37. Mar 21, 2013
    Argo doesn't quite succeed entirely. Despite excelling in its screenplay, structure, pacing and especially its cinematography; Argo delivers not-so stunning acting performances (apart from Alan Arkin- who steals the show) and its character construction is rather unsatisfying- Tony Mendez never really strays beyond the cliche of a workaholic divorcee. Overall, its a nice little piece ofArgo doesn't quite succeed entirely. Despite excelling in its screenplay, structure, pacing and especially its cinematography; Argo delivers not-so stunning acting performances (apart from Alan Arkin- who steals the show) and its character construction is rather unsatisfying- Tony Mendez never really strays beyond the cliche of a workaholic divorcee. Overall, its a nice little piece of American propaganda, as well as being a competent thriller, but it doesn't wholly fulfil its promise. Expand
  38. Nov 8, 2012
    This supposedly movie of the year wind up being a lackluster cinematic bust. It may intrigue a certain type of audience, but it's not exactly a well-rounded movie that everyone could enjoy. The thing is even if it was a factual story, the structure and directing made it feel too homogeneous. The movie also lacked suspense until the end, and to do so they had to even exaggerate the scene,This supposedly movie of the year wind up being a lackluster cinematic bust. It may intrigue a certain type of audience, but it's not exactly a well-rounded movie that everyone could enjoy. The thing is even if it was a factual story, the structure and directing made it feel too homogeneous. The movie also lacked suspense until the end, and to do so they had to even exaggerate the scene, because, in reality, they got out easily. The character development, especially those who were rescued, was weak. There wasn't a genuine reason that made a viewer completely want to see them be rescued other than..well, they were captured. If they were going to exaggerate something, it should have been where they were had to stay. Seriously, it didn't even look where they were living was that terrible. At least do something that makes them appear they're in serious peril.

After Ben Affleck's greatly crafted movie, The "Town", and after the well-received praised this movie was getting (higher than the Town as a matter of fact), the expectations perhaps were too high. Even if they were, this movie was nothing more than a mediocre capture and rescue true story, though. The problem with true stories is people tend to proceed they are automatically better than fiction stories a lot of times. Well, I went to school yesterday and then watched basketball. That's a true story, but it doesn't mean it's intriguing enough to make it a film about it.
  39. Jan 27, 2013
    great film! not sure I understand the hype? good storyline and screen play, but nothing extra special? ben Affleck is obviously talented as a director, writer and actor. but for me it falls short of any other critically acclaimed film this year? Alan Arkin is superb and partnered with John Goodman they make a humours, realistic depiction of their characters. A great film, and a must see ifgreat film! not sure I understand the hype? good storyline and screen play, but nothing extra special? ben Affleck is obviously talented as a director, writer and actor. but for me it falls short of any other critically acclaimed film this year? Alan Arkin is superb and partnered with John Goodman they make a humours, realistic depiction of their characters. A great film, and a must see if you like a tense drama... but isn't the best film of the year? its barely memorable! Expand
  40. Jul 23, 2013
    I liked Argo. In fact I even bought it on DVD. It's a very well made movie and it's entertaining. Afleck directs it with attention to detail and the story is rendered with a well written screenplay. The acting is solid from all of the cast and there are some tense and exciting moments. It also has a very authentic 70's feel, even utilizing vintage styled cinematography at times. AllI liked Argo. In fact I even bought it on DVD. It's a very well made movie and it's entertaining. Afleck directs it with attention to detail and the story is rendered with a well written screenplay. The acting is solid from all of the cast and there are some tense and exciting moments. It also has a very authentic 70's feel, even utilizing vintage styled cinematography at times. All of that being said, I still found it to be very overrated. Yes there are some tense moments, but I wished there were even more, and the ones in the film, except for the beginning, could have been even tenser, seeing what Afleck did with The Town. The car chase at the end felt fake for some reason and some other scenes felt kinda flat too. Yes it's overall a good movie and another success for Afleck, but I don't think it deserved best picture. I think it should have went to Zero Dark Thirty, or Django Unchained, even though they had slimmer chances of winning than the hostages had of making it out alive. Expand
  41. Feb 2, 2013
    It's an interesting movie and well directed. It gives you some insight as to what happened. Though I would have liked some scenes on the other embassy employees that were held hostage. The best part for me was seeing the old Swissair 747 take off.... (But that's just because I'm Swiss)........... Btw, that 747 was named Argovia (after the Kanton/State Aargau) Argo is the short version.
  42. Jul 30, 2013
    This movie was thrilling and an interesting story to be told in the form of film. Performances by the actors were incredibly convincing and the film was fantastically directed. Being unfamiliar with the subject matter however led to my disappointment when I realized the the movie made some changes from the original events. This was mainly to make the movie more tense, especially near theThis movie was thrilling and an interesting story to be told in the form of film. Performances by the actors were incredibly convincing and the film was fantastically directed. Being unfamiliar with the subject matter however led to my disappointment when I realized the the movie made some changes from the original events. This was mainly to make the movie more tense, especially near the end of the movie, but alot of changes were made to increase the role of america in the event and diminish Canada's role and leave out the roles of countries like the UK and New Zealand completely. Overall if you ignore the fact that the movie is historically inaccurate then you've got a tense, enjoyable movie Expand
  43. May 11, 2013
    as most people i was over-excited to watch argo because my all time favorite movies are the ones based on true stories the movie have a good reputation an Oscar for best picture and add-in the fact that i love the movies directed by ben affleck so was the excitement worth it unfortunately no the movie is good not great and it have so many elements missing first of all it is one ofas most people i was over-excited to watch argo because my all time favorite movies are the ones based on true stories the movie have a good reputation an Oscar for best picture and add-in the fact that i love the movies directed by ben affleck so was the excitement worth it unfortunately no the movie is good not great and it have so many elements missing first of all it is one of the best Rescues in U.S history that we know of so it have to be intense but the fact that it's not intense only in a few scenes far away from eachother with some cold acting by ben affleck and not even a single intense acting scene and the fact that there isn't a soundtrack until the second half of the movie makes you disconnect from the story every 10 minutes i mean it's pretty obvious giving that ben affleck didn't recieve an Oscar for best directing because of these missing elements that made the movie a little bit disappointing but i give a pledge to the movie for showing real events with characters as exact as the real people and shine a light on those people because of what they have gone through. Expand
  44. Mar 24, 2013
    Not bad. No way. It's okay. It's well above average. But it isn't an appropriate Best Film of the the Year. Have fun, watch it--then go see a real stand out: Zero Dark 30.
  45. Aug 23, 2013
    The idea is profoundly astonishing, and the reality that these events were reality, were even more astonishing. It's only downfall, unfortunately, is its bias towards the Americans. In general, I admire Ben Affleck as a director and producer, as well as John Goodman and Alan Arkin for the laughs they bring into the movie. The fake suspension makes the movie less banal, and for that IThe idea is profoundly astonishing, and the reality that these events were reality, were even more astonishing. It's only downfall, unfortunately, is its bias towards the Americans. In general, I admire Ben Affleck as a director and producer, as well as John Goodman and Alan Arkin for the laughs they bring into the movie. The fake suspension makes the movie less banal, and for that I contemplate whether I like or hate it. Expand
  46. Dec 21, 2014
    Argo has great direction and acting, and builds up a thrilling and convincing piece of history. Despite accusations of inaccuracy and nationalism (even though the film only focuses on one small, isolated group of people undergoing a minor operation), this is still a very intense and gripping story that shouldn't be passed up.
  47. Nov 3, 2012
    Yes I'm going against the grain here. Overated, overated, overated. Would be alright at home on the couch. I found this movie quite boring. The script was unintelligent and flat. Slightly nail biting toward the end but nothing like other reviews are stating. With a good script and far more character development this could have been great, instead it's only OK...just. I should haveYes I'm going against the grain here. Overated, overated, overated. Would be alright at home on the couch. I found this movie quite boring. The script was unintelligent and flat. Slightly nail biting toward the end but nothing like other reviews are stating. With a good script and far more character development this could have been great, instead it's only OK...just. I should have waited for the blu ray... Expand
  48. Oct 16, 2012
    I just don't see what the fuss is about. This is a straight line story with little suspense and no other developed subplots. I found "The Town" much more entertaining. Frankly, this could have been a made for tv film. Riveting is the last word that comes to my mind when I think of this film. Maybe Hollywood just wanted to pat itself on the back for the role it played in a great service toI just don't see what the fuss is about. This is a straight line story with little suspense and no other developed subplots. I found "The Town" much more entertaining. Frankly, this could have been a made for tv film. Riveting is the last word that comes to my mind when I think of this film. Maybe Hollywood just wanted to pat itself on the back for the role it played in a great service to our country. Expand
  49. Oct 13, 2012
    I cannot believe how overrated this film is. Sure it create's the world and clausterphobia the hostages are living in . Another quality of the film is in the riot sequences it takes the camera and puts you in the middle of the madness for this reason it is entirely indicative of it's time and place. Is this enough? Sure some of the humour is funny but it is not enough to carry the film.I cannot believe how overrated this film is. Sure it create's the world and clausterphobia the hostages are living in . Another quality of the film is in the riot sequences it takes the camera and puts you in the middle of the madness for this reason it is entirely indicative of it's time and place. Is this enough? Sure some of the humour is funny but it is not enough to carry the film. The story is so bland and never embellished except at the end when it finally gains momentum and starts to thrill. I know it's a true story and it wanted to stay true, but they needed to tell it in a more interesting way. If you had seen the trailer you basically knew everything about the movie. No twists or turns here most of Argo's runtime is just boring. Expand
  50. Feb 28, 2013
    If you strip away the historical and political relevance of Argo and the knowledge that the events in the movie are based on reality, you are left with an average thriller. The characters in this movie are shells of characters; I could describe each of them in a single sentence. The plot of Argo eventually turns into the repetition of an age old formula: build suspense, make it look likeIf you strip away the historical and political relevance of Argo and the knowledge that the events in the movie are based on reality, you are left with an average thriller. The characters in this movie are shells of characters; I could describe each of them in a single sentence. The plot of Argo eventually turns into the repetition of an age old formula: build suspense, make it look like the bad thing is going to happen, make the good thing happen at the last second. Rinse and repeat. It's boring and predictable and repetitive and entirely unoriginal. I think it's worth watching, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again. Expand
  51. Jun 15, 2013
    Argo manages to make an American movie without losing the essence of its context or the main depiction of the history. It's simple, easy to follow and understand, requires no previous knowledge or anything. But perhaps this is the problem; whilst it's straightforward it lacks in depth, and the two hour run-time is slightly too long given how predictable it is and how little goes on in it.Argo manages to make an American movie without losing the essence of its context or the main depiction of the history. It's simple, easy to follow and understand, requires no previous knowledge or anything. But perhaps this is the problem; whilst it's straightforward it lacks in depth, and the two hour run-time is slightly too long given how predictable it is and how little goes on in it. There's almost no suspense until the last half an hour, and the bits before are practically oversized fillers. Still a good film but either needs to be more concise or have more content or action for it to be a great one. Expand
  52. Mar 23, 2013
    argo is an overall good film. I feel that a few scenes fell flat and many supporting characters were unnecessary because they had such small roles, but the overall film has plenty of nail-biting moments and phenomonal acting.
  53. Feb 26, 2013
    This movie is obviously overrated and mediocre. Total lack of 70's atmosphere, the Hollywood side story is very weak and unconvincing, most performances give you the feeling of watching a History Channel documenrary. The film is boring and the adrenaline in the airport scene is boosted with cheap tricks rather than fine and skillfull movie direction: the Iranians realize the truth at theThis movie is obviously overrated and mediocre. Total lack of 70's atmosphere, the Hollywood side story is very weak and unconvincing, most performances give you the feeling of watching a History Channel documenrary. The film is boring and the adrenaline in the airport scene is boosted with cheap tricks rather than fine and skillfull movie direction: the Iranians realize the truth at the exact moment the Americans flee the country. How convenient is that.... Best motion picture of the year award? seriously??? LMAO.... Expand
  54. Oct 26, 2012
    I went into the movie expecting a little more of the extraction and a little less of the political workings and preparation leading up to the extraction. Never once did I have the sense of urgency I typically get with a movie like this nor did I form an emotional connection with any of the characters - hostages or those working to get them out alike. I think the story is a great one andI went into the movie expecting a little more of the extraction and a little less of the political workings and preparation leading up to the extraction. Never once did I have the sense of urgency I typically get with a movie like this nor did I form an emotional connection with any of the characters - hostages or those working to get them out alike. I think the story is a great one and lends an insight into the diverse assets at the fingertips of the US's clandestine forces. I enjoyed it once and will surely watch it again when it makes it to my movie channels but not a movie I am thinking of seeing again at the theater or waiting for the DVD to come out. Affleck was very good but The Town is still the best of his directorial efforts in my opinion. Expand
  55. Oct 30, 2012
    This movie's rating average is almost as big as Affleck's head. After seeing "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Town" I really wanted to love this movie. But Affleck ruined it for me. Not that he's a bad actor--I just can't relate to him. He's handsome, charming, strong...it's hard to feel sorry for him. They tried to beef up his character with the whole "my wife and I are taking a break"This movie's rating average is almost as big as Affleck's head. After seeing "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Town" I really wanted to love this movie. But Affleck ruined it for me. Not that he's a bad actor--I just can't relate to him. He's handsome, charming, strong...it's hard to feel sorry for him. They tried to beef up his character with the whole "my wife and I are taking a break" concept but I didn't believe it for one second.

So I have to watch this secret agent that's never really in any danger himself try to save people from a desperate situation. Though I felt the situation was well set up, it's hard to get tense when I already know everyone makes it out fine. It felt like just another Hollywood movie celebrating the great victories Hollywood has provided to mankind. Which might be why it's already getting Oscar talk.
  56. Feb 8, 2013
    The movie had excellent visuals and period feel. The acting was good too. I also liked the subject matter. But the pace was slow, so the movie became a drag at times. Something was off the entire time. I cannot bring myself to watch it again. There are other movies with serious tone and longer running time like The Pianist and Shawshank Redemption that manage to pull it off and are highlyThe movie had excellent visuals and period feel. The acting was good too. I also liked the subject matter. But the pace was slow, so the movie became a drag at times. Something was off the entire time. I cannot bring myself to watch it again. There are other movies with serious tone and longer running time like The Pianist and Shawshank Redemption that manage to pull it off and are highly entertaining. Argo definitely doesn't deserve the highest prize at the Oscars. Expand
  57. Mar 30, 2013
    Argo has been praised by both critics and audience alike. Bit surprisingly, as despite being better than average political thriller it is difficult to believe it would be looked back as Oscar-winning classic. It has inaccuracies and dramatizations which have too much of a scripted feel, given the story is based on real events.
  58. Dec 15, 2014
    As neither an American nor a Canadian citizen, I get to watch this movie for what it is: a movie. If we consider it a crime film, it doesn't have a twisted enough plot. If we consider it a thriller, there's not enough tension. If we consider it a documentary, it's not true enough. Where are the laughs the critics are talking about? When are supposed to laugh? If we consider it a comedy, itAs neither an American nor a Canadian citizen, I get to watch this movie for what it is: a movie. If we consider it a crime film, it doesn't have a twisted enough plot. If we consider it a thriller, there's not enough tension. If we consider it a documentary, it's not true enough. Where are the laughs the critics are talking about? When are supposed to laugh? If we consider it a comedy, it doesn't make you laugh enough.

I understand it's a celebration of the American intelligence and it is intelligently released in a period where pretty much all of the Western World looks at Arabic countries with suspicion. I didn't know anything about the Canadian Caper and honestly, this film didn't make me curious about it.

Ben Affleck was in 2012, so that meant no facial expressions, and I get it. He did the same in To The Wonder. A notable yet tiny performance by Cranston is worth mentioning, the rest of the cast were blank pawns. The score, despite being Alexandre Desplat and all, I found irritating.

Not a bad movie, but not a great one either. It certainly doesn't deserve that 86. The political gets too much in the way to judge Argo without prejudice.
  59. Apr 11, 2013
    The movie is very overrated, and I believe because Ben Affleck did a multitasking job, which I respect, but not enough to swipe nearly every Best Film category. The film lacked the opportunity given by having one of the greatest casts of 2012 and Ben Affleck seemed to shine himself, which wouldn't have been a major issue if he actually brought great emotion to his role, which was neededThe movie is very overrated, and I believe because Ben Affleck did a multitasking job, which I respect, but not enough to swipe nearly every Best Film category. The film lacked the opportunity given by having one of the greatest casts of 2012 and Ben Affleck seemed to shine himself, which wouldn't have been a major issue if he actually brought great emotion to his role, which was needed but never really delivered. Not considering the multiple awards, I did enjoy the film and it's colorful characters aside from Ben Affleck's. Expand
  60. Apr 16, 2014
    Cuando empece a verla en un principio me convenció, pero conforme avanza la historia se vuelve muy comercial con muchos tintes patrióticos, la verdad no sentí que los personajes estuvieran en un verdadero peligro, rescato los últimos minutos cuando están a punto de subir del avión, en donde agarra tensión, pero eso nada mas, ni la trama socio-política es muy buena, eso si tiene un buenCuando empece a verla en un principio me convenció, pero conforme avanza la historia se vuelve muy comercial con muchos tintes patrióticos, la verdad no sentí que los personajes estuvieran en un verdadero peligro, rescato los últimos minutos cuando están a punto de subir del avión, en donde agarra tensión, pero eso nada mas, ni la trama socio-política es muy buena, eso si tiene un buen montaje. Expand
  61. Feb 6, 2014
    Argo is for all intensive purposes one of the most over hyped films in quite sometime and given the fact that it is on the edge of being propaganda one can quickly realize why. While I applaud Afflek's continuing development as a director. This work aside from his direction is sub-par at best. Like all based on a true story films it is extremely loosely based, but the sheer fact that it isArgo is for all intensive purposes one of the most over hyped films in quite sometime and given the fact that it is on the edge of being propaganda one can quickly realize why. While I applaud Afflek's continuing development as a director. This work aside from his direction is sub-par at best. Like all based on a true story films it is extremely loosely based, but the sheer fact that it is based on reality robs the movie of all suspense. Reality is fine for docudrama's but reality in terms of suspense is quite dull. Argo is a film that needs you to leave your brain at the door and hopes that you know not of things like history or something other ethnic stereotypes. From an entertainment standpoint that is usually a good choice in any film, check out and buy into what they are selling. However from a technical standpoint it creates films that falter.
    On Entertainment value I would give it a 7.5

Effects and Design 1.5/2
    Writing: 1.5/2
  62. Lyn
    Oct 14, 2012
    I remember this period and this incident, and so found the movie interesting. But I'm surprised at how few critics have quibbles with the historical inaccuracies! (See articles in Slate, Wired and elsewhere for details.) Already a thriller low on thrills -- we know how it ends, obviously -- it tries too hard to fabricate them. Enjoyed every performance more than Affleck's, which wasI remember this period and this incident, and so found the movie interesting. But I'm surprised at how few critics have quibbles with the historical inaccuracies! (See articles in Slate, Wired and elsewhere for details.) Already a thriller low on thrills -- we know how it ends, obviously -- it tries too hard to fabricate them. Enjoyed every performance more than Affleck's, which was low-key almost to the point of tedium. Expand
  63. Aug 7, 2013
    A movie with some definite potential that didn't quite make it. There were some great scenes mixed in with some average which left me disappointed.

Seemed very much a US propaganda piece that bastardized actual events. Are all middle-eastern men inherently evil? Are all American men misunderstood heros? The movie gave me this impression, from a non-partisan point of view it left a bitter taste.. especially with the perpetual war-hungry state the USA seems to be in. Congratulating the CIA? I think i need a shower.

Some good cinematography and sets. Good acting in parts although i felt the movie dwelt on Affleck's character & the fake Hollywood studio too much.. the comedy moments seemed forced.
  64. Nov 29, 2012
    To sum up: narration hell. Let me explain: Although there isn't an actual "narration", this film just tells you the story. It doesn't show it. Just as having a film narrate everything important, Argo does the visual equivalent. There is no sense of urgency, no tension, nothing. It starts flat lining immediately, and refuses to respond at all. It's a completely comatose film. I mean, it'sTo sum up: narration hell. Let me explain: Although there isn't an actual "narration", this film just tells you the story. It doesn't show it. Just as having a film narrate everything important, Argo does the visual equivalent. There is no sense of urgency, no tension, nothing. It starts flat lining immediately, and refuses to respond at all. It's a completely comatose film. I mean, it's reasonably watchable, but also preeminently boring. The intro notes that the US caused the whole situation in Iran by supporting the Shah (who lived lavishly, murdered people and oppressed the rest of them). Then they hid him in the US when he was wanted for crimes in Iran. However, they still manage to turn this into a "the US is awesome" film. It's insulting. Expand
  65. Feb 27, 2013
    Apparently film critic Leonard Maltin liked Argo and is quoted as saying, “Don't get your history from the movies.” Maybe it would be better to say, “Don't put history in your movies if you don't get it.” Argo was a good film but it wasn't about what it claimed to be about. If you're going to fiddle with very minor historical moments, maybe no one will notice or care, but this was a majorApparently film critic Leonard Maltin liked Argo and is quoted as saying, “Don't get your history from the movies.” Maybe it would be better to say, “Don't put history in your movies if you don't get it.” Argo was a good film but it wasn't about what it claimed to be about. If you're going to fiddle with very minor historical moments, maybe no one will notice or care, but this was a major event in recent American history. A short summary of what never happened--there was no trip to the Bazaar, which would have been too dangerous; the six were divided up at the homes of two Canadian officials, not one, and they all liked the idea of the movie production team as their cover; the airport screening went off without a hitch--no one confronted them and no squad cars chased the plane down--the only tension was the announcement that there would be a 1-hour delay because of mechanical problems. However, after the plane cleared Iranian air space, everybody cheered. They got that part right. Some feel that Iranians have a right to object to the stereotypical portrayal of their citizens, and Canada feels that the CIA is being made to look like the heroes, when the Canadians did most of the work, which included three months of preparation for the final coup. A scene at the end of the film gives the erroneous impression that Canada had to be given the credit because no one was allowed to know that the CIA was involved, in which case, it sounded almost like Canada was taking the heat for the CIA rather than being lauded for heroism. Ben Affleck is a good director and a good actor, but his fantasy version of the story should have been filmed as fiction and not fact. Argo worked well when it showed insiders being caustically critical of how a Hollywood production is run behind the scenes. (That would make a good movie by itself.) The film might have been a good thriller, but when you go into it knowing that the most exciting part, the airport clearance and chase at the end, never happened, it's not that thrilling. It's boring. In any case, the film has nothing to do with the American government's view of the episode; it's just trying to be pure Hollywood entertainment, using all the old tricks that all directors and screenwriters use to lure people into the theaters so that the studios can make money. And given how many bad films are being released lately, a film that shows directorial skill and tells a good story ends up being exaggerated to the point where it wins Best Picture. Argo was not the best picture, but the pickings were slim. They couldn't even come up with ten selections at the Oscars--they had nine, and one movie, Amour, was listed twice under Best Picture and Best Foreign Picture. In the end, no one should be insulted by Argo--it's not worth it. Expand
  66. Oct 29, 2012
    I had very high expectations for this movie and unfortunately was disappointed on most levels. First the good, this movie looks great. I love the feel of the period in this film. I also think this film was incredibly acted, every performance is spot on with ironically the exception of Afflek. He is however not bad, just the worst of a very strong group. Of particular note is theI had very high expectations for this movie and unfortunately was disappointed on most levels. First the good, this movie looks great. I love the feel of the period in this film. I also think this film was incredibly acted, every performance is spot on with ironically the exception of Afflek. He is however not bad, just the worst of a very strong group. Of particular note is the performance of Arkin, who eats up every scene he is in. This might be my favorite supporting performance of the year. Where does this movie fall short? First the dialogue is flat for me. Especially for a movie that is trying to be witty and hip. Second there are many scenes in this movie that are absolutely implausible. I wont go into details but in the last third of this film their at least half a dozen scenes that completely removed me from the reality that this film is trying to convey. This is inexcusable in any film, but magnified in a true story. Very disappointed in a movie with so much potential. Expand
  67. Sep 24, 2013
    Not a bad film at all, does not fail to build massive tension throughout the end... but i was disappointed due the fact that this ends up in typical exaggerated american style "we are the good guys and we always win".

It's great that they make films about historic events, but i think it's just an absolutely onesided view of events.
  68. Sep 22, 2013
    Argo is a true story, so it`s amazing, but did not make for a great movie for me. It`s interesting, but did not blow me away, and I wouldn`t care much for it if it was all made up. I did find it watchable, and worth finishing for the movie rush at the end.
  69. Feb 24, 2013
    Ben's Argo and Lance's Medals

What do these have in common? Both generated great gobs of money, both represent a dramatic distortion of the truth, both take another significant chunk out of American credibility. It is bad enough that a majority of America receives its education (17th or lower in world ranking) from movies, in Argo's case "based on a declassified true story". When
    Ben's Argo and Lance's Medals

It is bad enough that a majority of America receives its education (17th or lower in world ranking) from movies, in Argo's case "based on a declassified true story". When Ben claimed, in a recent interview, that the reason the Canadians integral role (90% Canada/ 10% USA according to president Jimmy Carter and those actually involved) in freeing the hostages was not represented truthfully, he brushed it off quickly by commenting that "there was not enough time to fit it all in".

In other words, for Ben, making the Americans "centre of the universe" even under the guise of docudrama, trumps truth. The reality is that the small role the CIA did actually play, had the real potential of getting the hostages killed on their way out of Iran. Historically (pun intended) the CIA espionage folk put a wrong date on the passport stamp which if not detected, and altered (again by a Canadian) would have meant instant detection, and potentially certain death on their way out of the airport not to mention what would have happened to the Canadian embassy personnel.

Dramatic license must be extended to any historical account for time constraints or the inevitable lapse in research, however, when the focus is to distort and or pervert the truth, everyone involved suffers.

Ben in recent award shows, still attempts to use his youthful ignorance and surprised-face to pass off this travesty of history. I don't buy that, or the movie nor should anyone interested in the truth. Historical accuracy can be every bit as dramatic and entertaining as BS with the added bonus of attracting a wider audience and staying on the charts for many more years.

No doubt, all those, who have or will receive monetary gain from this schlock will rally to its defense, somehow. There is no defense, however, for the damage inflicted on the historical record, those who buy into that distortion, or the Canadians, and the lives of six US hostages whose lives depended on real intervention by real people.

Ziek bamfrmcan
  70. Feb 23, 2013
    I thought this was a bit of a let down. Loved the Town but Argo wasn't gritty enough for me. Some Iranian security guards with some intelligence would have been nice. The film also plays up the çoolness' of making a fake movie, which detracts from the seriousness of the subject matter for me. Funky music as they arrive on their fake set, hmm. And 'Argo f!@k yourself' gets very annoying.I thought this was a bit of a let down. Loved the Town but Argo wasn't gritty enough for me. Some Iranian security guards with some intelligence would have been nice. The film also plays up the çoolness' of making a fake movie, which detracts from the seriousness of the subject matter for me. Funky music as they arrive on their fake set, hmm. And 'Argo f!@k yourself' gets very annoying. Big let down. And we all know how it's going to end. Amazing thing they did though. Expand
  71. Feb 28, 2013
    puh-leez, this movie was not that good. won the oscars because the industry is a scene that celebrates itself. the movie was average and uncompelling. ben afleck is about as talented an actor as keanu reeves.
  72. Nov 24, 2012
    The movie started mildly fast, got very slow, then very intense. The only reason I saw this movie was because im a huge Bryan Cranston fan, and many people were saying the film was going to win best picture. This movie has two storylines (thats the only word i could think off to describe it) The one about the hostages, and the one in Hollywood and the C.I.A , about them trying to make theThe movie started mildly fast, got very slow, then very intense. The only reason I saw this movie was because im a huge Bryan Cranston fan, and many people were saying the film was going to win best picture. This movie has two storylines (thats the only word i could think off to describe it) The one about the hostages, and the one in Hollywood and the C.I.A , about them trying to make the movie. I would give the hostage situation a 3 out of 10, and the Hollywood story a 7 out of 10. The airport scene at the end, I would give 9 out of 10 that was very intense, and the scene was very well written. I would give the acting 6 out of 10 varying from actor to actor, directing 5 out of 10, and writing 6 out of 10, and overall 4 out of ten. Expand
  73. Apr 7, 2014
    Ben Affleck's swift, skillful direction - including a fantastic opening sequence - fails to disguise the fact that "Argo" lacks any real style or substance, offering instead bland characterizations and caper cliches, not to mention gross historical inaccuracies that make this "epic" perilously close to a fabrication.
  74. May 11, 2014
    Interesting start
    Then comes abrupt stall somewhere between Hollywood and BBC
    So many usual hardships like divorced hero with a Son in shared custody far far away
    People do strange thing under duress but I am sure it wasn't like n this movie when embassy opens its doors because some officer wanted to reason with hostagetakers
    Couldn't bear it
    4 only
  75. Oct 29, 2012
    Why did Affleck play Tony Mendez? Mendez is a shorter, chubbier man of Mexican decent. Luiz Guzman would have been a great pick for the lead. Affleck is just trying to make a name for himself and you can't blame him for trying to do so but in the process turned in a very dull performance. The feel of the period was nailed from outfits to mustaches but the acting was hollow. No oneWhy did Affleck play Tony Mendez? Mendez is a shorter, chubbier man of Mexican decent. Luiz Guzman would have been a great pick for the lead. Affleck is just trying to make a name for himself and you can't blame him for trying to do so but in the process turned in a very dull performance. The feel of the period was nailed from outfits to mustaches but the acting was hollow. No one stood out. Better left as a documentary of archival footage than a scripted movie. Gaah! Affleck. Expect no change here despite everyone and their mother urging you he's changed his ways. Expand
  76. Mar 31, 2013
    A very mediocre piece of U.S patriotic drama. That the film took out the Oscar for Best Picture is a sad reflection on the dim witted fervour of The Academy. Despite an honest opening sequence that attempts to give some sketch of the destructive involvement of the CIA in Iran, the film plunges straight into an overt juxtaposition of idyllic American civilisation and the barbarism of theA very mediocre piece of U.S patriotic drama. That the film took out the Oscar for Best Picture is a sad reflection on the dim witted fervour of The Academy. Despite an honest opening sequence that attempts to give some sketch of the destructive involvement of the CIA in Iran, the film plunges straight into an overt juxtaposition of idyllic American civilisation and the barbarism of the middle east that is rife and disturbing. The vilification of the Iranian people and the shallow representation of the context of the tragic circumstances destroys the integrity of the film on all levels.
    There are some acute performances in small places, but with Affleck on screen most of the time, everything is rendered pretty flat and monochrome. Shocker.
  77. Jul 25, 2013
    how the critics gave this movie an 8 out of 10 is beyond me! i guess critics are into incredibly bland movies or they must've got paid to give this movie a high score! this movie drags; the dialogue is uninteresting, the pace drags, there is no suspense or thrills! the only thrill i got was the beginning of the movie and when theyre riding through the crowd of angry israel's! other thanhow the critics gave this movie an 8 out of 10 is beyond me! i guess critics are into incredibly bland movies or they must've got paid to give this movie a high score! this movie drags; the dialogue is uninteresting, the pace drags, there is no suspense or thrills! the only thrill i got was the beginning of the movie and when theyre riding through the crowd of angry israel's! other than that though this movie was bland, dry, and devoid of any suspense or thrills! the only reason why im not giving this turd bomb a 0 out of 10 is because the popcorn they gave me at the theatre was damn good! i got more entertainment hearing the crunch of the popcorn as i chewed it! i got more entertainment out playing with my thumbs!

3 out of 10!

the only postives i can give this movie is the beginning, the bus ride, and the popcorn i had while watching the movie! send this piece of back to the vagabonds of hell from whence it came from!
  78. Jan 3, 2015
    The only thing good about Argo is the fact that its based on a true story, but it obviously does not stop the fact that Ben Affleck is a bad actor and that Arabians speaking frantically is extremely annoying. This movie is great if you can get past Ben Afflecks acting and annoying Arabians acting like imbeciles. To keep it short and sweet like everyone should on this site, if you don'tThe only thing good about Argo is the fact that its based on a true story, but it obviously does not stop the fact that Ben Affleck is a bad actor and that Arabians speaking frantically is extremely annoying. This movie is great if you can get past Ben Afflecks acting and annoying Arabians acting like imbeciles. To keep it short and sweet like everyone should on this site, if you don't care for the true story don't watch it. If you do watch it, watch it. Then stop watching it and turn on something worth watching. Expand
  79. Mar 17, 2013
    This is a boring story. A CIA agent flies a commercial airliner into Tehran, and flies out two days later with six endangered Americans. There is no firefight, no border crossing, not even a romantic subplot. The entire appeal of this movie is that it is historical "based on true events" says the promo but it turns out the movie has little to do with what actually happened in 1980. TheThis is a boring story. A CIA agent flies a commercial airliner into Tehran, and flies out two days later with six endangered Americans. There is no firefight, no border crossing, not even a romantic subplot. The entire appeal of this movie is that it is historical "based on true events" says the promo but it turns out the movie has little to do with what actually happened in 1980. The CIA played a small part in the rescue, the Canadians did all the work, and most of the scenes are complete bunk. Given the lack of historical content, Ben Affleck could have thrown in a car chase or two, a "traitor within" subplot, or maybe had the 747 pursued by Iranian fighter jets and chased off by a Sopwith camel. Better yet, have the aliens from Argo intervene on behalf of the good guys (assuming that is us). It's all crap history anyway. Expand
  80. Feb 18, 2013
    After all the talk, I thought well maybe Ben Affleck did something good after all, but I was sceptical. I was right. This movie is just one big orgy of tough man tough talk, which really gets annoying after 20 minutes or so. There is completely no character development in any of the hostages. I had a hard time not falling asleep. What an incredible bore.
  81. Oct 30, 2012
    Entertaining propanda flick. But why the need to constantly churn out these US Propaganda political/war films? And with the US on the cusp of yet another bloody, wasteful war? Enough already!
  82. Mar 18, 2014
    I don't understand why this has such great reviews. It was a boring as all hell patriotic American BS movie that drags along until the end. Boring story.
  83. Oct 4, 2013
    horrible display of american propaganda apart of that stiff very slow moving plot and uninteresting characters. Dont recommend it to anyone.
    Dont watch it but looks like no one has anyways judging by the number of rating this picture got.
  84. Feb 11, 2013
    A one-sided self-satisfying nationalist and political propaganda film with no real suspense and substance. With highly-implausible inventions to reality that make it look stupid to the audience with some common sense and minimum level knowledge of the situation. The silly car chase on the airport runway or the lack of explanation for why the airliner is not turned back to the airport byA one-sided self-satisfying nationalist and political propaganda film with no real suspense and substance. With highly-implausible inventions to reality that make it look stupid to the audience with some common sense and minimum level knowledge of the situation. The silly car chase on the airport runway or the lack of explanation for why the airliner is not turned back to the airport by the control tower, or the American women wandering provocatively (taking photos) among the Muslim Persians with no head-covering (the stupidest thing of all), etc. Expand
  85. Feb 26, 2013
    "the town" was a million times better than this movie. this is the most overrated underwhelming movie i think i have ever seen. had it been nominated last year for best picture it wouldn't have had a chance. the academy needs to recognize more genres for best picture. "this is 40" isn't an instant classic, but there's more feeling put into that comedy than this drama. this belonged on"the town" was a million times better than this movie. this is the most overrated underwhelming movie i think i have ever seen. had it been nominated last year for best picture it wouldn't have had a chance. the academy needs to recognize more genres for best picture. "this is 40" isn't an instant classic, but there's more feeling put into that comedy than this drama. this belonged on lifetime, not on the big screen. i want to tell anyone who voted for this movie "argo f*** yourself." Expand
  86. Aug 27, 2013
    There should be restrictions on the use of the expression "Based on a true story" because in this case, lies far surpass what really happened. This movie represents everything that is shameful about American narcissism. This work has twisted the facts in favor of the U.S. image without respect for those who risked more than their reputations. I know it is a product of hollywood notThere should be restrictions on the use of the expression "Based on a true story" because in this case, lies far surpass what really happened. This movie represents everything that is shameful about American narcissism. This work has twisted the facts in favor of the U.S. image without respect for those who risked more than their reputations. I know it is a product of hollywood not considered a documentary, but if the goal is creating a fanciful story, it is better to let history undefiled. Finally, it is surprising that so many have acknowledged the work with so little knowledge (newspapers, academy awards).
    Canada, non-revolutionary Iranians, New-Zealand had way more to do with the results than Tony Mendez.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Nov 5, 2012
    An old-school espionage thriller with a movie-biz comedy twist, all the better for being (almost) entirely true. It is to Ben Affleck's credit that the tension and laughs complement rather than neutralise each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Jordan
    Oct 17, 2012
    Combining laughs and thrills with plenty of verve, Ben Affleck continues his smart directorial career with a stylish, gripping hostage drama.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 12, 2012
    Argo isn't quite on the level of the Sidney Lumet classics to which Affleck pays stylistic homage - smart and taut as it is, it lacks the broader political vision of a film like "Dog Day Afternoon." But Lumet lite still goes down pretty smooth.