7.8

1. Jul 3, 2013
    Amazing, well acted, well directed, gorgeous, breathtaking, suspenseful, amazing, well shot, wonderfully executed, and the list goes on and on. Argo, is a truly unique story and what makes it more unique is that all the events in the film actually happened. Argo is gold! A cinematic experience that will keep you at the edge of your seat the entire time. Its good old fashioned suspenseful excitement that is complete eye candy. I guarantee that ANYONE who watches this movie will enjoy it in any way, shape or form. Go watch Argo! Expand
  2. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautiful film that was nailed to the people, because this movie was made about my country.
    I had got a movie.
    Oscar was really the writing life.
    Mr. Affleck hurt.
    Blowing hot
  3. Jun 15, 2013
    Argo manages to make an American movie without losing the essence of its context or the main depiction of the history. It's simple, easy to follow and understand, requires no previous knowledge or anything. But perhaps this is the problem; whilst it's straightforward it lacks in depth, and the two hour run-time is slightly too long given how predictable it is and how little goes on in it. There's almost no suspense until the last half an hour, and the bits before are practically oversized fillers. Still a good film but either needs to be more concise or have more content or action for it to be a great one. Expand
  4. Jun 4, 2013
    "No question and hands down one of the best films of this year. Argo is an award contender that's for sure. With Affleck's fantastic direction and an amazing in depth story. Argo is a movie were going to be talking about for years and years to come." A+
  5. May 18, 2013
    In the end, this was kind of underwhelming. The performances are fine (although Affleck doesn't do much aside from looking glum), the recreation of the events using real footage is excellently done, and the story is quite compelling, but the problem is with the script. Dialogue tends toward cliche at times and the moments of tension feel overly manufactured. The film is strongest in its opening sequence as the hostage crisis unfolds, and in the scenes shared with John Goodman and Alan Arkin who have a lot of fun with their roles. The ending lays on the 'America Always Triumphs' adage pretty thick; it's easy to see how it won Best Film at the Oscars. Solid, if uninspiring. Expand
  6. May 12, 2013
    Argo is an intense thriller with almost no shots fired or over-the-top action. And the fact that it all actually happend makes it even more intense. The humor is great, the cast is brilliant, the shots look good, it all makes this movie so enjoyeble to watch. I highly recommend Argo, one of the best films of 2012!
  7. May 11, 2013
    as most people i was over-excited to watch argo because my all time favorite movies are the ones based on true stories the movie have a good reputation an Oscar for best picture and add-in the fact that i love the movies directed by ben affleck so was the excitement worth it unfortunately no the movie is good not great and it have so many elements missing first of all it is one of the best Rescues in U.S history that we know of so it have to be intense but the fact that it's not intense only in a few scenes far away from eachother with some cold acting by ben affleck and not even a single intense acting scene and the fact that there isn't a soundtrack until the second half of the movie makes you disconnect from the story every 10 minutes i mean it's pretty obvious giving that ben affleck didn't recieve an Oscar for best directing because of these missing elements that made the movie a little bit disappointing but i give a pledge to the movie for showing real events with characters as exact as the real people and shine a light on those people because of what they have gone through. Expand
  8. May 10, 2013
    Compared to the book basis is laughable, but with cinematographic look is very interesting, because its narrative line is modern and funny, but knows how to be serious and rough, the dialogues are otimos especially when the topic is holiwood, the second best thing is the performance of Alan Arkin, who gives a satirical tone in the dialogues, another very interesting thing is the accuracy of the portrayal of facts acontecidos.Esse film proves that Ben Afleck can indeed perform well and drive good shape. Expand
  9. May 8, 2013
    Argo makes all the right moves and deviates greatly from what is expected from such a serious situation as the the Iranian hostage crisis.
    Ben Affleck continues his commanding streak as director and lead actor, he takes on a film based on a true story, and what a story it is. Affleck plays Tony Mendez, a CIA operative whose speciality is exfiltration, and when he is brought in to the fold
    after six embassy workers in Iran escape, he must devise a plan to safely rescue them from Iranian rule. This plan has of course went down in history, whether for its riskiness, stupidity or genius is anyone's guess.
    Mendez himself carries out the task, an elaborate plan is set in motion where he, and the six people he plans to rescue, are a film crew who are location scouting in Iran, they all have fake identities and Argo proves that everything is about detail, a fake script, storyboard, marketing tools and even press involvement for a film that will never actually exist, simply for the fact that getting in is not the problem, but getting out is a whole different story.
    There are plenty of colourful characters that light up this wonderful thriller, Alan Arkin, John Goodman and Bryan Cranston join Affleck in creating a very nostalgic and peak into the world of 1970s operations. Arkins portrayal of Lester Siegel is brilliant and one of the highlights of the film, while Affleck perfectly captures the dad in Mendez, who just wants to be with his family. Of course the the real winning formula of the film is the ludicrous idea of the fake movie to get in and out of Iran, and Argo (which is also what the fake film is called) manages to give a realistic and nerve-wracking account of just how difficult and frightening it was to be an American with the the boundaries of Iran, something we are shown as the credits role, when various screens from the film are put against the real images taken all those years ago.
    Diretor Affleck continues to surpass all expectations and is truly solidifying himself as one of the most talented and sought after directors in our generation, is ability to to take various pivotal moments within a character and create a rousing and entertaining story are becoming unmatched, he has taken a very serious crisis and managed to create a often humorous yet thrilling affair, with a final act that will definitely leave you at the edge of your seat, time is indeed of the essence.
    If any film deserved Oscar recognition, it was Argo, its taste for nostalgia while taking on a subject that only became declassified almost 20 years after the crisis. It is a true blend of genres that has created a winning film through and through.
  10. Apr 27, 2013
    A shocking movie full good quality Actors and Actions Magnificent like Goodman and Alan Arkin Jhon without removing the Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston keeps you in the seat expectant that happen in the movie is full of stress and Action
  11. Apr 20, 2013
    Truth by chance. That is what Argo is. What Ben Affleck did is he took a really really awkward 'true' story and made a goddamn movie with it. So, it's rather funny how more serious things are portrayed in this film with true transparency and real ease. What more to say? You have to spend 120 minutes of your life being spellbound or damned by watching this. And only then you'll probably can decide whether to kiss me or to shoot me. Well, I might answer, 'Argo, damn yourself!' (They don't wanna let me write what I actually want to.) Expand
  12. Apr 11, 2013
    The movie is very overrated, and I believe because Ben Affleck did a multitasking job, which I respect, but not enough to swipe nearly every Best Film category. The film lacked the opportunity given by having one of the greatest casts of 2012 and Ben Affleck seemed to shine himself, which wouldn't have been a major issue if he actually brought great emotion to his role, which was needed but never really delivered. Not considering the multiple awards, I did enjoy the film and it's colorful characters aside from Ben Affleck's. Expand
  13. Apr 9, 2013
    It felt like the movie started out a little slow. But, that feeling went away pretty quickly.

Argo is easily one of the best movies of 2012. Ben Affleck, John Goodman, Bryan Cranston and the rest of the crew deliver an Oscar-worthy performance.
  14. Apr 6, 2013
    Argo is absolutely incredible. I have never had encountered so much suspense in a single movie. The plot was splendid, the acting was amazing, and the plan of Tony Mendez was crazy. I felt that this movie was very serious, but had sets of comic relief, with Lester and John Chambers. Overall, this movie has soared into being one of my favorite movies and I suggest everyone should check it out.
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    Beautifully made with all everything from the costumes to the technology accurate to a tee. I loved the way the film was intercut with archive news footage of the time; this really gave the audience a sense of the world at that juncture. All the performances were excellent with Ben Affleck taking centre stage, but I really enjoyed seeing Alan Arkin as a Hollywood producer; he stole it for me! There was real tension towards the end of the film; it slowly builds for quite a long time and I found that quite masterful. It’s something that has been missing from many Hollywood films for a long time now but Affleck seems to have rediscovered the art. Because it‘s a film based in real events, there’s little time for character development and I think it suffers slightly because of it. Other than that, it has some interesting songs on the soundtrack and it’s well worth a look!

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.6/10
  16. Apr 3, 2013
    THE BEST movie since Gladiator (2000)!!! All those tension, all those mystery, with some good humor...
    highly recommended!!!
  17. Apr 2, 2013
    Argo is tense and exciting with well written characters. The recognizable names help push it to greater heights. I give this film 83%.
  18. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. More should have happened in this movie. It doesn't seem that way at first glance, but....don't you feel like they should have been questioned more and had more intense moments? In the second half of the movie I was prepared to handle a bunch of vigorous interrigations, but it just didn't happen. One single questioning period at the end is all that really stuck out. Anyways besides that one complaint it was a good show throughout. Expand
  19. Apr 1, 2013
    This year's top films: Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln, Argo. Without comparison, Argo is a fine film. Tension is high, story is strong, and acting all around is good. With comparison however, I'm afraid it just doesn't measure up with Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty. I'm afraid Argo got the "pity vote" this year......but I suppose it still pays the bills, right Ben? A win is a win.
  20. Mar 31, 2013
    I went into watching Argo with an open mind as I was unfamiliar with the subject matter. I decided to watch it due to its high rating. All I can say is that I'm glad I gave it a try. With Argo you get an intelligent thriller packed with plenty of suspense and tension (particularly the last 30 minutes). All the main cast put on solid performances Affleck was good, but I felt John Goodman was excellent in the limited screen time that he had). The plot is good and it unfolds at an even pace, I didn't feel that there were any scenes that were dragged out for too long. My only gripe was the airport chase scene towards the end which I felt was totally unrealistic.

Having said that, I would say Argo is still highly recommended viewing. Enjoy!
  21. Mar 31, 2013
    Despite some historical inaccuracies and having a pro-American approach, this is a fast paced political thriller which also has some moments of comedy (from Alan Arkin in one of his best roles) under the direction of star Ben Affleck who has now become something of a pro at making edge-of-your-seat movies. One of the best of 2012.
  22. Mar 31, 2013
    A very mediocre piece of U.S patriotic drama. That the film took out the Oscar for Best Picture is a sad reflection on the dim witted fervour of The Academy. Despite an honest opening sequence that attempts to give some sketch of the destructive involvement of the CIA in Iran, the film plunges straight into an overt juxtaposition of idyllic American civilisation and the barbarism of the middle east that is rife and disturbing. The vilification of the Iranian people and the shallow representation of the context of the tragic circumstances destroys the integrity of the film on all levels.
    There are some acute performances in small places, but with Affleck on screen most of the time, everything is rendered pretty flat and monochrome. Shocker.
  23. Mar 30, 2013
    I was completely surprised by this movie. I thought it was going to be dull, but every line spoken is either interesting or funny. Very suspenseful. Must watch!
  24. Mar 30, 2013
    Argo has been praised by both critics and audience alike. Bit surprisingly, as despite being better than average political thriller it is difficult to believe it would be looked back as Oscar-winning classic. It has inaccuracies and dramatizations which have too much of a scripted feel, given the story is based on real events.
  25. Mar 29, 2013
    If I were to criticize the film I’d have to say is that it was overrated. It was good but it was not that good. I quite honestly was not invested the whole time only at certain parts. Maybe this is not my kind of film. Maybe I’m just not used to the style. I don’t know for whatever reason the movie did not suck me in the way it did lots of critics. Frequently in the film I was bored. I don’t know if the characters and story were not interesting, if it was the amount of dialogue; but for whatever reason I just thought it was good. Maybe if the film took more liberties from the actual event by creating false events to create more tension and excitement, the actors gave stronger performances, and the script a little tighter I would have really enjoyed this film; but as it is the film is just good. Way too overrated by critics if you ask me. Expand
  26. Mar 29, 2013
    IF this movie is an 8 and frankly I gave it an 8 mainly because it won the Oscar for best film it is certainly a weak 8. While an interesting film, there is little special going on here. This really makes one wonder about the entire awards process. An entertaining two hours, but nothing that will leave you feeling you have seen something extraordinary.
  27. Mar 26, 2013
    Argo is a true thriller, bringing together suspense as well as an edge-of-your-seat experience. Were the people able to get out alright? I was granted a solid and well developed answer to this question. Unbelievable.
  28. Mar 24, 2013
    Argo is magnificently brilliant in every way. It's perfect in terms of espeonauge and story telling (even though it's based on a true story). Not only was there great acting, but director, Ben Affleck, reels in some great acting as well. But overall, Affleck has given us an incredible experience of how far one man will go to save the lives of others.
  29. Mar 24, 2013
    Not bad. No way. It's okay. It's well above average. But it isn't an appropriate Best Film of the the Year. Have fun, watch it--then go see a real stand out: Zero Dark 30.
  30. Mar 23, 2013
    argo is an overall good film. I feel that a few scenes fell flat and many supporting characters were unnecessary because they had such small roles, but the overall film has plenty of nail-biting moments and phenomonal acting.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Nov 5, 2012
    An old-school espionage thriller with a movie-biz comedy twist, all the better for being (almost) entirely true. It is to Ben Affleck's credit that the tension and laughs complement rather than neutralise each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Jordan
    Oct 17, 2012
    Combining laughs and thrills with plenty of verve, Ben Affleck continues his smart directorial career with a stylish, gripping hostage drama.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 12, 2012
    Argo isn't quite on the level of the Sidney Lumet classics to which Affleck pays stylistic homage - smart and taut as it is, it lacks the broader political vision of a film like "Dog Day Afternoon." But Lumet lite still goes down pretty smooth.