7.8

1. Dec 22, 2014
    Argo is the film that made me think why are people worried that Ben Affleck is playing batman because this film is beyond brilliant. i loved every second of it's amazing true plot, great acting from a all star cast ( special mention to john goodman, Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston and Scoot McNairy) and one of the most suspenseful endings i've seen. for once my pick for best picture at theArgo is the film that made me think why are people worried that Ben Affleck is playing batman because this film is beyond brilliant. i loved every second of it's amazing true plot, great acting from a all star cast ( special mention to john goodman, Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston and Scoot McNairy) and one of the most suspenseful endings i've seen. for once my pick for best picture at the oscars has actually won Expand
  2. Dec 21, 2014
    Argo has great direction and acting, and builds up a thrilling and convincing piece of history. Despite accusations of inaccuracy and nationalism (even though the film only focuses on one small, isolated group of people undergoing a minor operation), this is still a very intense and gripping story that shouldn't be passed up.
  3. Dec 19, 2014
    Smart, tense and well directed, "Argo" succeeds not just as a great movie but as a realistic political thriller that keeps audience entertained for 2 hours.
  4. Dec 15, 2014
    As neither an American nor a Canadian citizen, I get to watch this movie for what it is: a movie. If we consider it a crime film, it doesn't have a twisted enough plot. If we consider it a thriller, there's not enough tension. If we consider it a documentary, it's not true enough. Where are the laughs the critics are talking about? When are supposed to laugh? If we consider it a comedy, itAs neither an American nor a Canadian citizen, I get to watch this movie for what it is: a movie. If we consider it a crime film, it doesn't have a twisted enough plot. If we consider it a thriller, there's not enough tension. If we consider it a documentary, it's not true enough. Where are the laughs the critics are talking about? When are supposed to laugh? If we consider it a comedy, it doesn't make you laugh enough.

I understand it's a celebration of the American intelligence and it is intelligently released in a period where pretty much all of the Western World looks at Arabic countries with suspicion. I didn't know anything about the Canadian Caper and honestly, this film didn't make me curious about it.

Ben Affleck was in 2012, so that meant no facial expressions, and I get it. He did the same in To The Wonder. A notable yet tiny performance by Cranston is worth mentioning, the rest of the cast were blank pawns. The score, despite being Alexandre Desplat and all, I found irritating.

Not a bad movie, but not a great one either. It certainly doesn't deserve that 86. The political gets too much in the way to judge Argo without prejudice.
  5. Dec 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'If we're going to make a fake movie, we're going to make a fake hit!'
    Mr. Affleck, you've made a real one, an authentic masterpiece, which, even if some parts of the story were emebellished, paints a wonderful portrait of the human spirit. Combining geeky sci-fi ideas and spy like knowledge, one of the most unlikely heists imaginable is undertaken.
    As mentioned though, this is not only about effects and jargon- it's about cunning, brains, teamwork and above all enormous courage against all odds. Affleck for me, not only delivers a career director's performance but acts superbly as well. The best film of the year; great scenery, cultural and historical context and wit. 9.5/10
  6. Nov 9, 2014
    Argo balances suspense with fun and entertainment very well despite its slow pace. Although it falls short of Oscar winning expectations, it's old-school feel and tension escalates it from falling flat.
  7. Sep 1, 2014
    Affleck has directed and crafted one of the best films of not only this year, but of his entire career. This film manages to take a true story and turn it into a masterpiece.
  8. Aug 24, 2014
    Argo is the Academy Award Winner for Best Picture of 2012, and while it was an amazing film, the actual story was far less interesting. In 1980, the tensions between Iran and The United States began, and the U.S. embassy in Tehran was overrun. Hundreds were held hostage for over a year, but six did manage to escape and went into hiding. Knowing that their lives were even more in dangerArgo is the Academy Award Winner for Best Picture of 2012, and while it was an amazing film, the actual story was far less interesting. In 1980, the tensions between Iran and The United States began, and the U.S. embassy in Tehran was overrun. Hundreds were held hostage for over a year, but six did manage to escape and went into hiding. Knowing that their lives were even more in danger than those of the hostages, the C.I.A. developed a unique plan to get them out of Iran. They sent in one of their top agents, with credentials claiming that he was part of a Canadian film crew. Armed with fake documents, he would smuggled the six out of the country. The film was intense and featured one close call after another, but in reality, getting them out was almost too easy. They were never stopped or questioned, and slipped out under the cover of early morning, without a hitch, but what kind of a movie would that be? Once these classified files were released by the U.S. Government, Hollywood saw the chance to tell this story in an extreme manor, and did so much to the delight of audiences and much to the chagrin of the other countries involved. Ben Affleck both stars and directs this film, and while everyone raves about his performance, I thought it was typically cold and flat. Ben Affleck wasn't interesting, the character he played was. Affleck wasn't any more likeable or skillful here than he was in any other role and that's why he didn't win best actor. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the man is a fantastic Director, but a very mediocre actor. That being said, the extreme locations and huge cast, were his biggest challenge to date as a Director, and I was very impressed by the way he managed to pull it off. Argo is based on a true story, it's fast paced, and even though we all know what happened before seeing the film, it's still an edge of your seat thriller that really shouldn't be missed. Expand
  9. Aug 13, 2014
    Argo is an good slow-growth film that caps with a fantastically tense ending. If you can stand a slower movie without things constantly exploding for you then you should absolutely see this movie.
  10. Jul 17, 2014
    This is a well done film by Ben Affleck who gives sharp direction and acting to this movie. It's triumphant and thrilling. Great performances from Affleck, Cranston, Alda, Goodman and the supporting cast
  11. May 25, 2014
    So this is my first film that i have watched that Ben Affleck has directed. Though i do own the town i have not watched it yet. But now after watching this movie i will now have to find the time to watch that and also gone baby gone. So this film is about the 1979 true story of the rescue of six American's from Iran, while most the film has a really gritty serious tone as it should they doSo this is my first film that i have watched that Ben Affleck has directed. Though i do own the town i have not watched it yet. But now after watching this movie i will now have to find the time to watch that and also gone baby gone. So this film is about the 1979 true story of the rescue of six American's from Iran, while most the film has a really gritty serious tone as it should they do seem to place some dark humor in it... well as much as they could.

The whole cast sold it from the start Ben Affleck/Alan Arkin/John Goodman/Bryan Cranston all just killed it but for me Alan Arkin stole the show everytime the guy is on the screen he steals it. The last half hour of the movie was so intense it's crazy pulse pounding nail biting tension i have not had that felling while watching a movie in some time well maybe just not to that extent. Now i can see how this film won best picture at the Oscars this year. Also i'm a bit mad at myself for not watching this film while it was still in theaters.

A great film that everyone should at least take the time to give it a watch i don't regret watching it Overall i give this movie an 8.5

Oh Yeah Argo F**K Youself =D
  12. May 11, 2014
    Interesting start
    Then comes abrupt stall somewhere between Hollywood and BBC
    So many usual hardships like divorced hero with a Son in shared custody far far away
    People do strange thing under duress but I am sure it wasn't like n this movie when embassy opens its doors because some officer wanted to reason with hostagetakers
    Couldn't bear it
    4 only
  13. Apr 16, 2014
    Cuando empece a verla en un principio me convenció, pero conforme avanza la historia se vuelve muy comercial con muchos tintes patrióticos, la verdad no sentí que los personajes estuvieran en un verdadero peligro, rescato los últimos minutos cuando están a punto de subir del avión, en donde agarra tensión, pero eso nada mas, ni la trama socio-política es muy buena, eso si tiene un buenCuando empece a verla en un principio me convenció, pero conforme avanza la historia se vuelve muy comercial con muchos tintes patrióticos, la verdad no sentí que los personajes estuvieran en un verdadero peligro, rescato los últimos minutos cuando están a punto de subir del avión, en donde agarra tensión, pero eso nada mas, ni la trama socio-política es muy buena, eso si tiene un buen montaje. Expand
  14. Apr 12, 2014
    Argo F#&K Yourself is all this movie is telling the audience literally. Im probably being biased, but this movie is really boring and slow. for an academy nominated movie it sure sucked, i woke up during the Arabs arguing in Arabic, and throwing stuff at each other. So i turned it off an watched Seinfeld. i love Cramer.
  15. Apr 7, 2014
    Ben Affleck's swift, skillful direction - including a fantastic opening sequence - fails to disguise the fact that "Argo" lacks any real style or substance, offering instead bland characterizations and caper cliches, not to mention gross historical inaccuracies that make this "epic" perilously close to a fabrication.
  16. Mar 18, 2014
    I don't understand why this has such great reviews. It was a boring as all hell patriotic American BS movie that drags along until the end. Boring story.
  17. Mar 13, 2014
    Very tense and very well done. The directing was perfect to make the situation as tense and intense as it truly was. It was very entertaining and very interesting. However nothing about the film seemed particularly innovative or new. A good film, yes. Best picture worthy, questionable.
  18. Mar 8, 2014
    The buildup was a bit slow, but once it gets going, it's just awesome. It's thrilling, suspenseful, and well-directed. I mean, just think about the dialogue and the acting, and this movie really stands out.
  19. Feb 6, 2014
    Argo is for all intensive purposes one of the most over hyped films in quite sometime and given the fact that it is on the edge of being propaganda one can quickly realize why. While I applaud Afflek's continuing development as a director. This work aside from his direction is sub-par at best. Like all based on a true story films it is extremely loosely based, but the sheer fact that it isArgo is for all intensive purposes one of the most over hyped films in quite sometime and given the fact that it is on the edge of being propaganda one can quickly realize why. While I applaud Afflek's continuing development as a director. This work aside from his direction is sub-par at best. Like all based on a true story films it is extremely loosely based, but the sheer fact that it is based on reality robs the movie of all suspense. Reality is fine for docudrama's but reality in terms of suspense is quite dull. Argo is a film that needs you to leave your brain at the door and hopes that you know not of things like history or something other ethnic stereotypes. From an entertainment standpoint that is usually a good choice in any film, check out and buy into what they are selling. However from a technical standpoint it creates films that falter.
    On Entertainment value I would give it a 7.5
    On the Poe Scale however it gets a 6.5

Acting: 1/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 1.5/2
    Writing: 1.5/2
  20. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must say this movie is just amazing.
    I did not know about the Canadian Caper incident but now i know more than anything.

This is Ben Affleck's Masterpiece and it is breathtaking.
    Ben plays the master of disguise Tony Mendez and is quite a performance.
    Every actor especially who plays the trapped civialians are truly good.
    no wonder it has won an Oscar for Best movie and Best Adapted screenplay

Tense,dark,gloomy,clever and occasionally funny,
    it is so entertaining and not too long
    you would wonder how short it was.

Alan Arkin really makes us laugh with his clever jokes .
    Cinematography is top-notch.
    The locations,sets and everything about this movie is so great.
    The climax is incredible so are the credits.

R.I.P the victims and Praise the lord who sent a real hero to save those people and all the people who were on this case helping them.

In Nutshell,Argo is masterpiece of modern film making.
    it makes us so happy so you cannot resist without saying "Argo f**k yourself.
  21. Dec 14, 2013
    The third movie in direction for Ben Affleck brings the world of old fashioned thriller movie into 2012 which is about 6 Americans trapped in Iraq ,the movie is outstanding directing ,acting great script is just WOW!
  22. Dec 14, 2013
    Argo balances suspense with fun and entertainment very well despite its slow pace. Although it falls short on expectations, it's old-school feel and tension escalates it from falling flat.
  23. Oct 18, 2013
    Especially I won't forget the escape scene with aircraft from Iran. I feel the operation Argo, I feel like I am in this Argo operation now. It impressed me, I feel some complicated feels but this film is in my hits.
  24. Oct 4, 2013
    horrible display of american propaganda apart of that stiff very slow moving plot and uninteresting characters. Dont recommend it to anyone.
    Dont watch it but looks like no one has anyways judging by the number of rating this picture got.
  25. Sep 24, 2013
    Not a bad film at all, does not fail to build massive tension throughout the end... but i was disappointed due the fact that this ends up in typical exaggerated american style "we are the good guys and we always win".

It's great that they make films about historic events, but i think it's just an absolutely onesided view of events.
  26. Sep 22, 2013
    Argo is a true story, so it`s amazing, but did not make for a great movie for me. It`s interesting, but did not blow me away, and I wouldn`t care much for it if it was all made up. I did find it watchable, and worth finishing for the movie rush at the end.
  27. Sep 21, 2013
    One of a kind movie! Ben Affleck does a great job directing and portraying the main character. You hold your breath every step of the way until the end. It's unbelievable that it was based on a true CIA story. It's a real life Mission Impossible. The movie contains every detail from the characters to the era fashion. Clean movie and historic film for the family to watch, no profanity or nudity.
  28. Aug 27, 2013
    There should be restrictions on the use of the expression "Based on a true story" because in this case, lies far surpass what really happened. This movie represents everything that is shameful about American narcissism. This work has twisted the facts in favor of the U.S. image without respect for those who risked more than their reputations. I know it is a product of hollywood notThere should be restrictions on the use of the expression "Based on a true story" because in this case, lies far surpass what really happened. This movie represents everything that is shameful about American narcissism. This work has twisted the facts in favor of the U.S. image without respect for those who risked more than their reputations. I know it is a product of hollywood not considered a documentary, but if the goal is creating a fanciful story, it is better to let history undefiled. Finally, it is surprising that so many have acknowledged the work with so little knowledge (newspapers, academy awards).
    Canada, non-revolutionary Iranians, New-Zealand had way more to do with the results than Tony Mendez.
  29. Aug 23, 2013
    The idea is profoundly astonishing, and the reality that these events were reality, were even more astonishing. It's only downfall, unfortunately, is its bias towards the Americans. In general, I admire Ben Affleck as a director and producer, as well as John Goodman and Alan Arkin for the laughs they bring into the movie. The fake suspension makes the movie less banal, and for that IThe idea is profoundly astonishing, and the reality that these events were reality, were even more astonishing. It's only downfall, unfortunately, is its bias towards the Americans. In general, I admire Ben Affleck as a director and producer, as well as John Goodman and Alan Arkin for the laughs they bring into the movie. The fake suspension makes the movie less banal, and for that I contemplate whether I like or hate it. Expand
  30. Aug 7, 2013
    A movie with some definite potential that didn't quite make it. There were some great scenes mixed in with some average which left me disappointed.

Seemed very much a US propaganda piece that bastardized actual events. Are all middle-eastern men inherently evil? Are all American men misunderstood heros? The movie gave me this impression, from a non-partisan point of view it left a bitter taste.. especially with the perpetual war-hungry state the USA seems to be in. Congratulating the CIA? I think i need a shower.

Some good cinematography and sets. Good acting in parts although i felt the movie dwelt on Affleck's character & the fake Hollywood studio too much.. the comedy moments seemed forced.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Nov 5, 2012
    An old-school espionage thriller with a movie-biz comedy twist, all the better for being (almost) entirely true. It is to Ben Affleck's credit that the tension and laughs complement rather than neutralise each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Jordan
    Oct 17, 2012
    Combining laughs and thrills with plenty of verve, Ben Affleck continues his smart directorial career with a stylish, gripping hostage drama.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 12, 2012
    Argo isn't quite on the level of the Sidney Lumet classics to which Affleck pays stylistic homage - smart and taut as it is, it lacks the broader political vision of a film like "Dog Day Afternoon." But Lumet lite still goes down pretty smooth.