7.7

1. Oct 16, 2012
    Out of over 580 films I have seen and reviewed (not all on here, yet!), there have only been 31 films that I have given a 10. "Argo" is the 32nd. I watched it at the Toronto International Film Festival and went into it without actually having a clue what it was about, which was great because I had no expectations. Soon enough, I ended up being completely immersed in the world of theOut of over 580 films I have seen and reviewed (not all on here, yet!), there have only been 31 films that I have given a 10. "Argo" is the 32nd. I watched it at the Toronto International Film Festival and went into it without actually having a clue what it was about, which was great because I had no expectations. Soon enough, I ended up being completely immersed in the world of the American escapees from the Embassy. Ben Affleck has managed a feat that only a few actors have - giving an excellent performance as an actor and excellently directing a film at the same time. The entire cast, actually, is fantastic. There is not a single moment that does not have credible acting, and one must give kudos to John Goodman and Alan Arkin for kind of 'stealing the show'. But in a film with such superb acting, it is a rather hard thing to achieve, so that goes even more to their credit. The cinematography is very subtle and very appropriate, with perfectly chosen lenses that transport the viewer into the actual space that the film portrays. Production-wise, overall, the film is very effective. Great costumes, makeup, solid score, everything works well. The screenplay is very well written and manages a fine balance between suspense, drama and humour, which is a very difficult to achieve. "Argo" is one of the rare films that actually manages to make you sympathise and feel with the characters very fast, and basically transports you there with them. It feels as if we are in that same Canadian Embassy in Tehran, in that market, and on the airport. After leaving the theatre, I found myself looking suspiciously at people on the street, thinking who'd figure out that I'm not one of them. And then I realised - I am one of them. I'm not in the film myself. I've been completely engrossed in the film, and that is noteworthy. This is Ben Affleck's triumph on so many levels, and he is setting an extremely high bar for his follow-up projects. Let us hope they are half as good as "Argo," since that would still provide for some very good films. 10/10! Expand
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    "No question and hands down one of the best films of this year. Argo is an award contender that's for sure. With Affleck's fantastic direction and an amazing in depth story. Argo is a movie were going to be talking about for years and years to come." A+
  3. Oct 12, 2012
    What can I say about this movie. It's an engaging view into the workings of the CIA, the events during the Iranian hostage crisis, the life inside a foreign counsulate and Hollywood. While we get mainly glimpses, they are so well executed that we come out of this feeling like we have the insider info on how they all work.

The performances are riveting as well as very real in their

The performances are riveting as well as very real in their delivery. I never felt like I was watching actors in a movie, I was watching things as they transpired almost 40 years ago.

Ben Affleck has solidified himself as a great actor and director with Argo.
  4. Oct 17, 2012
    I honestly don't know what to tell you other than that this movie is just flat out great. Argo will have you engaged from the opening credits to the ending credits. Its funny, it's suspenseful (especially if you don't know the whole story behind it), its intriguing, its just flat out genius. I must tip my hat off to Mr. Ben Affleck on another job well done from both sides of the camera. IfI honestly don't know what to tell you other than that this movie is just flat out great. Argo will have you engaged from the opening credits to the ending credits. Its funny, it's suspenseful (especially if you don't know the whole story behind it), its intriguing, its just flat out genius. I must tip my hat off to Mr. Ben Affleck on another job well done from both sides of the camera. If you enjoy great cinema then what are you possibly waiting for? You must see Argo. I must also add that i think this is probably the best and most powerful cast i've EVER seen in a film before. Argo is certainly a must-see! 10/10 Expand
  5. Apr 3, 2013
    THE BEST movie since Gladiator (2000)!!! All those tension, all those mystery, with some good humor...
    highly recommended!!!
  6. Oct 15, 2012
    Totally blown away by this movie. They really captured the tension during this time in history. Affleck really nails it as a director and actor, showing that he has the chops for this sort of serious work. Though there are some light comedic elements, it's not over wrought or disrespectful to the core material. Characters seem organic and aware of whats going on. Most importantly it reallyTotally blown away by this movie. They really captured the tension during this time in history. Affleck really nails it as a director and actor, showing that he has the chops for this sort of serious work. Though there are some light comedic elements, it's not over wrought or disrespectful to the core material. Characters seem organic and aware of whats going on. Most importantly it really captures the heroism of everyone on both sides of the Canadian and America line. Best thriller of recent years for sure! Expand
  7. Oct 12, 2012
    I think this might just be Mr. Affleck's masterpiece. Gone Baby Gone was great. The Town was Excellent. This is a near flawless film, the kind I cannot watch to look for mistakes because it is so absolutely engrossing start to finish. The performances, the execution, the script, the freshness of an important ingenious story to tell of a historical moment. All involved brought their A gameI think this might just be Mr. Affleck's masterpiece. Gone Baby Gone was great. The Town was Excellent. This is a near flawless film, the kind I cannot watch to look for mistakes because it is so absolutely engrossing start to finish. The performances, the execution, the script, the freshness of an important ingenious story to tell of a historical moment. All involved brought their A game for this one. Just see it and if you walk out without being able to describe how you felt about your experience with Argo, just accept that it just did it's job. It is what Cinema is all about. ANd if you walk out feeling a bit underwhelmed from the experience, that's okay. Give it some time to ingest and think about every detail. Then see it again. Alot of films beg to be seen more than once. Just remember, a film that leaves you thinking about it afterwards just did it's job. See Argo Now!!! Expand
  8. Oct 12, 2012
    Argo is a triumph. It has tension, sincerity, mystery, artistic responsibility, entertainment value, technical expertise, a narrative arc and a thrilling respect for the tradition of how to tell a story with minimum frills and maximum impact. It's a great footnote to history, one of the best films of 2012 and a sure-fire contender on Oscar night.
  9. May 8, 2013
    Argo makes all the right moves and deviates greatly from what is expected from such a serious situation as the the Iranian hostage crisis.
    Ben Affleck continues his commanding streak as director and lead actor, he takes on a film based on a true story, and what a story it is. Affleck plays Tony Mendez, a CIA operative whose speciality is exfiltration, and when he is brought in to the fold after six embassy workers in Iran escape, he must devise a plan to safely rescue them from Iranian rule. This plan has of course went down in history, whether for its riskiness, stupidity or genius is anyone's guess.
    Mendez himself carries out the task, an elaborate plan is set in motion where he, and the six people he plans to rescue, are a film crew who are location scouting in Iran, they all have fake identities and Argo proves that everything is about detail, a fake script, storyboard, marketing tools and even press involvement for a film that will never actually exist, simply for the fact that getting in is not the problem, but getting out is a whole different story.
    There are plenty of colourful characters that light up this wonderful thriller, Alan Arkin, John Goodman and Bryan Cranston join Affleck in creating a very nostalgic and peak into the world of 1970s operations. Arkins portrayal of Lester Siegel is brilliant and one of the highlights of the film, while Affleck perfectly captures the dad in Mendez, who just wants to be with his family. Of course the the real winning formula of the film is the ludicrous idea of the fake movie to get in and out of Iran, and Argo (which is also what the fake film is called) manages to give a realistic and nerve-wracking account of just how difficult and frightening it was to be an American with the the boundaries of Iran, something we are shown as the credits role, when various screens from the film are put against the real images taken all those years ago.
    Diretor Affleck continues to surpass all expectations and is truly solidifying himself as one of the most talented and sought after directors in our generation, is ability to to take various pivotal moments within a character and create a rousing and entertaining story are becoming unmatched, he has taken a very serious crisis and managed to create a often humorous yet thrilling affair, with a final act that will definitely leave you at the edge of your seat, time is indeed of the essence.
    If any film deserved Oscar recognition, it was Argo, its taste for nostalgia while taking on a subject that only became declassified almost 20 years after the crisis. It is a true blend of genres that has created a winning film through and through.
  10. Nov 9, 2012
    Argo-Nuts!

Ben Affleck is the new Clint Eastwood, but better; not only is he the finest actor turned director, but he makes the barely moving Eastwood look like an emoting Brando bellowing 'Stella! at the foot of the stairs. Wooden is high praise indeed for his lead (or is it lead?) performance. Argo is his third outing and manages to surpass The Town and Gone Baby Gone. Affleck
    Argo-Nuts!

Argo is his third outing and manages to surpass The Town and Gone Baby Gone. Affleck loves tightly plotted, unflashy thrillers, and this 'true story' is the tightest, unflashiest bit of brilliance yet. I thought he would do a George V. Higgins first, but no. Someone less good did Cogan's Trade. The story is a barely credible account of how a CIA man - with Canadian help - rescued 6 Americans from wacky Iran in 1980. It is nail biting, re-creates the mood precisely, and features great non-performances from the cast - it almost plays as a documentary in Iran, but that is down to the skill of the cast and Affleck.

Walking off with the acting honors are John Goodman and Alan Arkin, who, back in La La Land, supply a fake Hollywood backstory for the escape. They are funny, sharp and add the spice that the rest of the film deliberately avoids like poison. The script is exemplarly, tight, believable, and compelling.

Films this good never win Oscars. They are not flashy enough, emotional enough, and they never do great box office. But they do win Blockies - my own awards.

I am nominating Argo for Best Picture and Affleck for Best Director. It has a shot at winning both, depending on how the rest of 2012 goes.
  11. Nov 15, 2012
    Loved the movie. For a change, we see a government agency functioning well, in this case, the CIA. The cooperation rendered by the Canadians is also wonderful to see. This offsets the typical news items we hear about all day. There are still some highly functional people out there, although there are fewer and fewer of them. Tony Mendez has been totally unknown to most people until now. ALoved the movie. For a change, we see a government agency functioning well, in this case, the CIA. The cooperation rendered by the Canadians is also wonderful to see. This offsets the typical news items we hear about all day. There are still some highly functional people out there, although there are fewer and fewer of them. Tony Mendez has been totally unknown to most people until now. A true hero. I salute him.
    Kudos to Ben Affleck for a thrilling film. He's grown up right before our eyes, and is now a substantive director.
  12. Oct 24, 2012
    This is a glorious machine of a movie in which everything works. The problem is how to generate suspense when you know the ending from history. They have found a way==it's all performance and superb camera work. This is a big jump from Affleck from the smaller movies he has done so well, and his cast is superb. John Goodman and Alan Arkin should share an Oscar. Irresistible.
  13. Oct 13, 2012
    Best movie of the year! Amazing casting, amazing representations, amazing ending, and most of all, amazing directing by Ben Affleck. A must see suspense/action of the year!
  14. Nov 25, 2012
    As we all know that majority of the films that are inspired by true events do not work properly, they don
  15. Oct 16, 2012
    Excellent movie. The 1979 Hostage Crisis from a side you never knew. Sets, costuming, music all true to late 70"s. Thrilling. Based on a true story embellished to make an exciting movie. See it.
  16. Oct 28, 2012
    A nice suspense throughout the movie, especially nearing the end. It is one of those movies that builds up every last detail then puts it all into action in a short amount of time at the end, and while you might want to see the plan finally put into action, the details they keep adding keep you interested throughout.
  17. Nov 30, 2012
    Argo is that rare thriller that stuns on multiple levels and not just for its suspense. It will not only guarantee that you have bitten all of your nails off by the end, but it provides a spirited yet informative attitude that demands admiration. The sets look amazing, the script will never cease to grab your attention, and Affleck's directing is truly top-notch as he presents carefulArgo is that rare thriller that stuns on multiple levels and not just for its suspense. It will not only guarantee that you have bitten all of your nails off by the end, but it provides a spirited yet informative attitude that demands admiration. The sets look amazing, the script will never cease to grab your attention, and Affleck's directing is truly top-notch as he presents careful insight into every detail of the situation being illustrated on-screen. At times where it should be boring and filled with information that sets up the rest of the movie, it is full of energy, which is probably the greatest compliment I could give the movie. Everything is perfectly reasonable in all of its serious and light-hearted moments alike. Consistent reminders keep in mind that this is an actual true story which makes Argo all the more interesting. The cast as a whole puts on a strong performance which largely benefits from Affleck's direction as properly shifts the movie's tones. He creates a subtle blend between the heart-pounding and fast-paced situations that the characters are forced upon, with the awareness of its own whimsical feel. This movie is great entertainment swimming in thrills, humor and historical details that makes this movie one of the best of the year. Expand
  18. Dec 9, 2012
    Wonderfully directed and acted very subtly by Ben affleck, this film was a total surprise. Full of both tension and humour, the two complimented each other to sublime effect. The best film of 2012.
  19. Dec 27, 2012
    "Argo" is filled with a cast so impeccably acted and a style astoundingly directed. This thriller poises as Ben Affleck's best and perhaps his most masterful as a director of the cinema, a triumphant of the year that unleashes a surge of blood-pumping surprise and comical wit.
  20. Feb 6, 2013
    Excellent, understated film. Not that realistic, and as over-simplified as any true story has to be, but the detail and drama are really well done, and the acting is perfectly understated (apart from Arkin, who is just good fun). I don't follow the criticism that the film is pro-US propaganda. It unflinchingly (and accurately) lays the balme for many of Iran's woes at US foreignExcellent, understated film. Not that realistic, and as over-simplified as any true story has to be, but the detail and drama are really well done, and the acting is perfectly understated (apart from Arkin, who is just good fun). I don't follow the criticism that the film is pro-US propaganda. It unflinchingly (and accurately) lays the balme for many of Iran's woes at US foreign policy's door, where they belong. And then tells a cracking, terrific story. Expand
  21. Jan 6, 2013
    Everything about this movie I love, the acting is great, the story is excellent and Affleck shows that he is becoming a great director. It is an engaging view on the foreign dealings between US and Iran. The story is tense and riveting but is broken up by the create change of pace comedy from John Goodman and Alan Arkin. I've seen Lincoln, Les Miserables, Looper, and many other greatEverything about this movie I love, the acting is great, the story is excellent and Affleck shows that he is becoming a great director. It is an engaging view on the foreign dealings between US and Iran. The story is tense and riveting but is broken up by the create change of pace comedy from John Goodman and Alan Arkin. I've seen Lincoln, Les Miserables, Looper, and many other great movies this year but Argo is my pick for the best! Expand
  22. Jan 24, 2013
    Argo is a brilliant and tense thriller directed by Ben Affleck, and has proven to me that after three films, Affleck may be one of the most talented directors in the current age of Hollywood. Ben Affleck has had a bumpy career with his acting, I mean he has sucked (
  23. Mar 30, 2013
    I was completely surprised by this movie. I thought it was going to be dull, but every line spoken is either interesting or funny. Very suspenseful. Must watch!
  24. Mar 17, 2013
    lo deja a uno sin aliento ,argo es una obra maestra bien pensada y ejecutada pero lo que mas marca a argo con una película excepcional es su ultimo acto donde los americanos se suben al avión ira-ni
  25. Feb 23, 2013
    Unbelievably great movie! I had some trepidation if Affleck could bring this very serious story to the screen with as much emotion and respect required for this story. I hoped he could bring out the feelings of the true life players in this true story. Well, Ben brought his A game and then some. I'm writing this the day before Oscar night and wonder how this didn't get him a best actorUnbelievably great movie! I had some trepidation if Affleck could bring this very serious story to the screen with as much emotion and respect required for this story. I hoped he could bring out the feelings of the true life players in this true story. Well, Ben brought his A game and then some. I'm writing this the day before Oscar night and wonder how this didn't get him a best actor nomination. I think he was tremendous in acting directing! I was on the edge of my seat through the whole movie; though I knew the outcome. I believe this is exceptional movie that stays true to the story. I believe Victor Gather should have gotten the nomination for supporting role rather than Alan Arkin; though his performance is good. First movie I've ever given 10 stars on. Expand
  26. Mar 1, 2013
    Argo is a success. This film is one of the ones that i will remember my whole life. The last 30 mins are absolutely heart-pounding and i just love how ben affleck tells the story of Tony Mendez through his direction and acting. Argo is one of the best.
  27. Apr 6, 2013
    Argo is absolutely incredible. I have never had encountered so much suspense in a single movie. The plot was splendid, the acting was amazing, and the plan of Tony Mendez was crazy. I felt that this movie was very serious, but had sets of comic relief, with Lester and John Chambers. Overall, this movie has soared into being one of my favorite movies and I suggest everyone should check it out.
  28. Mar 24, 2013
    Argo is magnificently brilliant in every way. It's perfect in terms of espeonauge and story telling (even though it's based on a true story). Not only was there great acting, but director, Ben Affleck, reels in some great acting as well. But overall, Affleck has given us an incredible experience of how far one man will go to save the lives of others.
  29. Mar 26, 2013
    Argo is a true thriller, bringing together suspense as well as an edge-of-your-seat experience. Were the people able to get out alright? I was granted a solid and well developed answer to this question. Unbelievable.
  30. Apr 27, 2013
    A shocking movie full good quality Actors and Actions Magnificent like Goodman and Alan Arkin Jhon without removing the Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston keeps you in the seat expectant that happen in the movie is full of stress and Action

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Nov 5, 2012
    An old-school espionage thriller with a movie-biz comedy twist, all the better for being (almost) entirely true. It is to Ben Affleck's credit that the tension and laughs complement rather than neutralise each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Jordan
    Oct 17, 2012
    Combining laughs and thrills with plenty of verve, Ben Affleck continues his smart directorial career with a stylish, gripping hostage drama.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 12, 2012
    Argo isn't quite on the level of the Sidney Lumet classics to which Affleck pays stylistic homage - smart and taut as it is, it lacks the broader political vision of a film like "Dog Day Afternoon." But Lumet lite still goes down pretty smooth.