5.9

1. Apr 25, 2015
    Armageddon's Charlton Heston-voiced opening narration, an account of how an asteroid seems to have led to the extinction of the dinosaurs, is an ominous touch in every sense of the phrase. The text of the speech sets the stage for the threat of mass destruction promised by the movie's title, while Heston's voice assures that the threat will be addressed in the most American way possible.Armageddon's Charlton Heston-voiced opening narration, an account of how an asteroid seems to have led to the extinction of the dinosaurs, is an ominous touch in every sense of the phrase. The text of the speech sets the stage for the threat of mass destruction promised by the movie's title, while Heston's voice assures that the threat will be addressed in the most American way possible. And it is, thanks to a photogenic, ragtag bunch of misfits headed by Bruce Willis. Willis plays the world's greatest oil driller, recruited by NASA head Billy Bob Thornton to plant a nuclear bomb in the belly of an earthbound asteroid. Will Willis overcome his creepy attachment to his daughter (Liv Tyler), and reconcile with her oil-drilling lover (Ben Affleck) in time to save America and the rest of the world? What suspense there is in Armageddon naturally lies elsewhere. Will, for instance, director Michael Bay (The Rock) continue to find an excuse to place an American flag in every other shot? (This at one point includes a shot showing that the patriotic astronauts have gone to the trouble of planting one on the asteroid they intend to blow up.) Will Tyler be photographed in a way that doesn't make her look as if she's posing for a Revlon ad? Will this be the one film featuring a ragtag bunch of misfits in which the lovable fat guy makes it out alive? Fortunately, the near-incomprehensibility of the numerous action scenes and the disposability of the rest of the movie allow plenty of time to contemplate such things. The entire second half seems to consist of nothing but vibrating close-ups of heads shouting lines like, "I'm not leaving without my men!" and "We're jumping over that canyon!" As with The Rock, Bay directs Armageddon in a way that seems more concerned with constantly assaulting the senses than anything else, hoping perhaps that the quick cuts and constant explosions will distract from his film's many flaws. Unless you're extremely easily entertained, they probably won't. Expand
  2. Mar 28, 2015
    Armageddon has a lot to say, but mostly attempts to do so via special effects. Given some more character depth and better dialogue the film could have and should have been a hit. Those who aren't fans of Michael Bay's recent works, keep in mind--- this is done before the transformers film line was created
  3. Jan 25, 2015
    Odiar Michael Bay é uma doença que mexe com a diminuição do Q.I,eu não tenho essa doença.
    Armageddon,É Um filme cheio de ação,humor e inteligência o que mais podemos pedir num filme. Fora o ótimo roteiro e só atuações de primeira classe. Bruce Willis,Steve Buscemi,Ben Affleck,Billy Bob Thornton,Michael Clarke Duncan,Peter Stormare,Will Patton,Owen Wilson,William Fichtner,Jason Isaacs,Ken Hudson Campbell e Liv Tyler que elenco!!! o que mais esperar de um filme???
  4. Dec 17, 2014
    The Most exciting action movie i have ever seen. I Loved it. Its got great action, it's very thrilling and just in my opinion a great movie. LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!
  5. Nov 17, 2014
    Jerry Bruckheimer presents A Micheal Bay film that really is a disaster . Not bad from director Micheal Bay Yes we have all heard the same story from every space story were the men come back train hard and get back in space and save the day the only job that is fit for the boys were have we seen this story before ? oh yes Space cowboys ( but it's way different). I like this movie it's aJerry Bruckheimer presents A Micheal Bay film that really is a disaster . Not bad from director Micheal Bay Yes we have all heard the same story from every space story were the men come back train hard and get back in space and save the day the only job that is fit for the boys were have we seen this story before ? oh yes Space cowboys ( but it's way different). I like this movie it's a space classic, The explosions are really good and there unexplainable to describe with groundbreaking effects. It's just Bay's humor that ruins the emotional moment that we see on this movie. It's not Abrams fault his humor well it was not cut out for the movie but all in out great screenplay. the only actors who take being in space seriously is Willis and Affleck , Steve Buscemi did not take being in this movie really seriously same with Wilson. Micheal Bay screws up again as a director. Grade A- Expand
  6. Jul 12, 2014
    Armageddon is stunning, entertaining, groovy and dramatic.

Armageddon is stunning, entertaining, groovy and dramatic.

The opening scene is cool as it is massive, and I really enjoyed it! But after that it became a bit lame with to much slow and boring scenes, which I didn't like at all. The film overall thought, is very entertaining and the action is awesome! Armageddon is a highly unique film that combines a great story with wonderful actors as Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck, which truly are outstanding together. The music is also another aspect of the film that's wonderful, so dramatic, and I love it. Almost every detail in the film is perfect, besides the first slow half of the film and the "missing scenes" at some places that makes it a bit confusing.

A sadly but awesome film by Michael Bay, and the best (to date).

Armageddon gets a 8.3/10
  7. Apr 10, 2014
    For a space trip this movie can't construct a good atmosphere. Instead we have "heroes" from America, who are either too stupid for this mission or stereotypical (like the Russian). Seriously, why are these men selected for this mission? Because of their knowledge of boring, which is too hard for serious experts? Or are they the only US-people, who are capable? And some scenes are also soFor a space trip this movie can't construct a good atmosphere. Instead we have "heroes" from America, who are either too stupid for this mission or stereotypical (like the Russian). Seriously, why are these men selected for this mission? Because of their knowledge of boring, which is too hard for serious experts? Or are they the only US-people, who are capable? And some scenes are also so stereotypical, like the important "Success in the last second".

So this is for me a mediocre movie at best. I'm sorry, but I like "The Core" more (see the review for the reasons). I normally like movies in space, but this is one of the worst I've seen so far! It's an insult, that this movie got Oscar-nominations!
  8. Jul 5, 2013
    The score was given for the drama. This film makes no sense and by that I mean not only plotwise, but physics seem to have been thrown outta the window too. Wrong advertising. Now if had been pushed as a comedy the score would have been much higher....
  9. Jun 9, 2013
    A pretty mediocre movie. Although saying that about a Michael Bay film is about as big a compliment as I can give him. Music is decent at times. but just isn't all that thrilling.
  10. Apr 7, 2013
    Armageddon isn't as bad as everyone says. I really do not see why everyone dislikes this movie. It isn't the best film out there, but it is entertaining. The thing that gets me furious is that critics complain that the movie isn't realistic. I say to them, "Are you a movie critic or just plain stupid? Movies are about entertaining the masses (and making money), not the border of realism."Armageddon isn't as bad as everyone says. I really do not see why everyone dislikes this movie. It isn't the best film out there, but it is entertaining. The thing that gets me furious is that critics complain that the movie isn't realistic. I say to them, "Are you a movie critic or just plain stupid? Movies are about entertaining the masses (and making money), not the border of realism." This movie has been ridiculed for being too unrealistic. Yet when you see other live-actions that are clearly unrealistic (Jurassic Park, Gremlins, which are good movies), you praise the absolute heck outta them!

Anyways, I felt that this movie had a great ensemble cast with the likes of Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Billy Bob Thornton, Liv Tyler, Will Patton, William Fichtner, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare, Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP), and Owen Wilson. These guys had great interaction with each other. Overall, I felt that this was one of Michael Bay's successful endeavors that is entertaining and fun to watch.
  11. Jan 8, 2013
    All I have to say is that when I was watching this... My mom started crying and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life! Michael Bay, you suck.
  12. Nov 7, 2012
    I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. Wait- what do I think about this movie? Oh yeah. I hate this movie.
  13. Sep 1, 2012
    This is a pretty decent film with some great action scenes. the acting is a little sub par but by Michael bay standards it was very good. I really enjoyed it for what it was.
  14. May 27, 2012
    I loved this movie and think it deserves a much higher rating. It is one of my favourite movies of all time, and his everything in it that appeals to my taste of entertainment.
  15. Feb 29, 2012
    The story doesn't reveal anything good to appeal and everything including the visual effects underachieves compared to other disaster movies that have been made so far. However, this is not Michael Bay's worst.
  16. Jan 13, 2012
    I'm not really sure about this movie. It was dull at most parts and the ending was cheesy in my opinion. I was a bit dissapointed to be honest.
  17. Nov 20, 2011
    It was actually rather good, A little unrealistic but it wouldnt be a Michael Bay film if it wasnt. Acting was ok for the most part, A few people I didnt really enjoy on screen. Far too long and really could and should have been shortened quite a bit to make for a better film. If you can over look the obvious flaws, Its not that bad.
  18. Oct 22, 2011
    This was a pretty bad movie. Pretty funny jokes and cool action sequences but not good storyline. It's a classic Michael Bay movie with a terrible storyline but with cool action sequences and special effects. If you like that kind of stuff I highly recommend it for you. It wasn't a horrible movie but it for sure wasn't the best movie I've seen by far(as you can see from the score i gaveThis was a pretty bad movie. Pretty funny jokes and cool action sequences but not good storyline. It's a classic Michael Bay movie with a terrible storyline but with cool action sequences and special effects. If you like that kind of stuff I highly recommend it for you. It wasn't a horrible movie but it for sure wasn't the best movie I've seen by far(as you can see from the score i gave it). But it did have really cool action sequences and special effects, don't get me wrong but the storyline didn't make much sense at all and the physics were terribly off. It did have a really awesome cast though. Including Ben Affleck(barely acting like usual, not my fav), Bruce Willis who did pretty well in this movie, Owen Wilson(cracking me up as usual), and many more. That's one more good thing about this movie and here's another bad thing, some of the acting sucked. Like Ben Affleck was terrible, Billy Bob Thorten was not good and I usually like him a lot in movies. So not the best acting. But good cast as I said before. It's a typical end of the world disaster flick with a lot of special effects and distruction, they have shallow story lines too like this one. Don't get me wrong it was a good movie but I like storyline in my movies. So Michael Bay is not my favorite director, actually he is my least favorite. :) Expand
  19. Oct 3, 2011
    I always saw this film as a real Pearl Harbor, and even with the participation of as Ben Affleck in Pearl Harbor. Love stories the same, terminology dramatic equal. Pure Pearl Harbor, the big difference is that this is not based on fact.
  20. Sep 18, 2011
    You know those original blockbuster movies that have limitless fun and amazing scenes? Well, the space blockbuster "Armaggedon" is on the top list for the category.
  21. Jun 11, 2011
    Part of me cant help enjoying this movie despite it being one Hollywood cliche after another. The cast is believable with a special mention to Peter Stormare who is excellent as the Russian cosmonaut Lev Andropov. Not for everybody but a far better movie than Deep impact which was of a similar vein.
  22. May 9, 2011
    Someone fire a gun into my eyes. You know, Eli Roth should make movie where someone sees this pile of **** and has to have an grisly process of unseeing it. I'd rather be that character than slowly kill my eyes, ears, and brain by rewatching this.
  23. Feb 26, 2011
    The movie is like a roller coaster, but it is one without the need of seat belts. The movie definitely has certain thrills especially in the front part but it is quite boring throughout . A movie to watch unless you have lots of time to waste.
  24. Oct 24, 2010
    screw the critics. go see this movie. it is that awesome!
  25. Aug 27, 2010
    There are worse disaster movies out there, but there are also shorter ones (the popcorn tends to run out about halfway through the film, and then what do you do from there?)
  26. Aug 18, 2010
    While Armageddon does suffer from a 'been there, done that' quality, it's still an exciting and twisting adventure with characters you'll actually care about. From the you know what the movie's going to be like; the main heroes will be going through the ups and downs of their journey to save Earth from total annihilation while communicating with the government and arbitrary love interestsWhile Armageddon does suffer from a 'been there, done that' quality, it's still an exciting and twisting adventure with characters you'll actually care about. From the you know what the movie's going to be like; the main heroes will be going through the ups and downs of their journey to save Earth from total annihilation while communicating with the government and arbitrary love interests back home. While it never really picks up until the final few moments of the movie, the plot is good enough to hold the movie and the acting is decent. The CG is also very good for it's time and really gives the scenes in space some pop, especially if viewed on Blu-Ray. It definitely isn't for everyone, and you've seen most of what's here before, but if you want a good popcorn flick this movie wouldn't be the worst choice you could make either. Expand
  27. DreH.
    Jun 25, 2009
    This movie is not bad, but not for everyone. Its an exciting thrill ride.
  28. MarcusL.
    Jan 5, 2009
    This movie was very sad. I loved it. It had great acting through all the actors. Bruce played another great performance. There was only one problem and that was how predictable it was. But, I still could watch it over and over again.
  29. JoshM.
    Nov 29, 2008
    My gosh I hated this movie. #3 on my worst movies of all time list. The plot is the stupidest and is so predictable. But what I hated most was the constant barrage of obstacles the characters take. You might be saying "Oh but you need conflict for a good plot" But there are literally no seconds where a problem occurs in this movie! Oh no! The Russian dude is mad at us! 3 seconds later, oh My gosh I hated this movie. #3 on my worst movies of all time list. The plot is the stupidest and is so predictable. But what I hated most was the constant barrage of obstacles the characters take. You might be saying "Oh but you need conflict for a good plot" But there are literally no seconds where a problem occurs in this movie! Oh no! The Russian dude is mad at us! 3 seconds later, oh no! the handle on something I have no idea about broke! oh no! we have to save Ben Affleck! Oh no! the nuke is on! oh no! the military is evil! Expand
  30. JackS.
    Nov 22, 2008
    I wasn't that bad, it was epic, it had great special effects, it was extrememly easy to guess the outcome, thats the main reason the movie lost so many votes, I like it anyway, thats just me. It had the best visual effects in 1998. Thats something, most movies are pretty predictable. But, I have to admit, this gave it away. You don't need to know watch the movie to know what I wasn't that bad, it was epic, it had great special effects, it was extrememly easy to guess the outcome, thats the main reason the movie lost so many votes, I like it anyway, thats just me. It had the best visual effects in 1998. Thats something, most movies are pretty predictable. But, I have to admit, this gave it away. You don't need to know watch the movie to know what happens. It is pretty kick-ass though. The only unpredictable part is HOW they end up blowing the asteroid up. (Sorry to those who wanna watch it, it is pretty obviouse though.) Expand
  31. JemS
    Aug 12, 2008
    Without doubt, honestly, without doubt, the worst film I have ever, ever seen. Mind-boggling, almost offensive, in its badness. My god. By the end, you'll be cheering for the asrteroid to give the culture that produced this film the fate it deserves.
  32. NigeM.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Almost makes you wish a meteor would hit the earth. If this is what the public wants, they deserve to die.
  33. Alex
    Jul 6, 2008
    I love this movie! I haven't even seen the whole thing (I missed most of the beginning and part of the middle) And I still got it! And as a bonus it has some of my favorite actors!
  34. Stu
    May 11, 2008
    Easily one of the worst big budget movies I have ever seen. Note, I'm comparing movies with similar budgets and I've seen em. This film has nothing. And I mean nothing. Explosions are like farts in the wind, nobody really cares. CG special effects do not effect me unless they are some what imaginative (such as: LOTR, FF-spirits within). I would actually go so far as to say that Easily one of the worst big budget movies I have ever seen. Note, I'm comparing movies with similar budgets and I've seen em. This film has nothing. And I mean nothing. Explosions are like farts in the wind, nobody really cares. CG special effects do not effect me unless they are some what imaginative (such as: LOTR, FF-spirits within). I would actually go so far as to say that the 1 point it may have gained for actually making it to the big screen (this is the, you've got a point for writing your name on the test, kinda point) was negated by the worst script and ideas I've seen in a movie since... since... Well, even plan 9 seemed to have a better script. Point is, this film was EXACTLY like Micheal Bay filming himself taking a shit on the camera and telling us to eat it. Because for some odd reason, you lot did. Expand
  35. Albin
    Feb 10, 2008
    It was a great movie that I've seen over and over, and it is just as good as the first time I saw it. I see no big problems other than it was a crazy-unbelievable plot. Then again, its a HOLLYWOOD FILM so 10/10.
  36. Natam
    Sep 2, 2007
    So, everybody's complaining it's predictable, and slashing the movie because of it. Fair? no. Please remember most of these reviews were written back in 1998, at the height of the disaster-film trend. Reviewers were fed up with "Volcano"s, they took most of their frustration on Armageddon. Is it that bad? Looking back, not it all. It's even Influential in its own way. So, everybody's complaining it's predictable, and slashing the movie because of it. Fair? no. Please remember most of these reviews were written back in 1998, at the height of the disaster-film trend. Reviewers were fed up with "Volcano"s, they took most of their frustration on Armageddon. Is it that bad? Looking back, not it all. It's even Influential in its own way. Charachters are good enough for a PopcornMovie (what did you expect? The Godfather?), Special Affects are great, maybe noisy and dizzying, but this movie didn't market itself as Driving Miss Daisie anyway... As far as a summer blockbuster can go, it's one of the good ones. It's at least better than Transformers, by any means. Expand
  37. JustinL.
    May 14, 2006
    Something for everyone.
  38. CarlaC.
    Oct 19, 2005
    It's wonderful!!!!
  39. Gemmauwish
    Aug 13, 2005
    I think armageddon is one of the best films ever made,iv watched it about 40 times now and its stil ad gud as first time i watched it.
  40. Andrew
    Jul 30, 2005
    The single worst movie in existence. Glossy special effect driven rubbish with idiotic dialogue, a horrible script, and the most irritating display of American patriotism ever put to film. It's like watching a big, fat commercial- all style, no substance. Far too many one-liners, none of which are humorous, and characters that are as broadly conceived as possible. Every moment of the The single worst movie in existence. Glossy special effect driven rubbish with idiotic dialogue, a horrible script, and the most irritating display of American patriotism ever put to film. It's like watching a big, fat commercial- all style, no substance. Far too many one-liners, none of which are humorous, and characters that are as broadly conceived as possible. Every moment of the movie seems so manufactured, and most of it defies logic. A total insult to any remotely intelligent person! Expand
    Jun 13, 2005
    Not the best story, but to me it's like ID4. It gives you some nice dumb fun. When the Asteroid decapitated the guy and left his dog hanging, it's hard not to laugh. The space action is great. drilling is kinda boring, though. An htat russian Guy...genius.
  42. HidekiY.
    Mar 4, 2005
    It would have been funner if i ate a bowl of caltrops rather than sit through this god-awful boorish meaningless inane piece of junk. that being said, i advise you to see this movie to set the scale for all future sci-fi action filcks.
  43. AlexB.
    Nov 9, 2004
    Great special effects, great sound! Great movie!
  44. AndrewM.
    Jun 24, 2004
    Cliched, predictable, far-fetched, formulaic and patronising...and also lots and lots of fun. It plays on all your emotions like a prodigy devouring a piano concerto, and you feel as such afterwards. It may not be a very good film by definition, but it is very good entertainment, by definition!
  45. ClareP.
    Jun 17, 2004
    I think dis is a wicked film!! It's so sad and really heart warming.
  46. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    Dear God, please don't make me watch it again.
  47. raVen
    Nov 22, 2003
    Maybe it's unfair to the movie that I saw it only after hearing the awful Aerosmith soundtrack song played 68,000,000 times on the radio. But the movie is transparent in its intention to pass the torch from one concrete-jawed hero (Willis) to another (Affleck). It's like watching a two hour music video. Be scared here. Laugh now. Cry now. Be happy! Hooray! Take your trash as you Maybe it's unfair to the movie that I saw it only after hearing the awful Aerosmith soundtrack song played 68,000,000 times on the radio. But the movie is transparent in its intention to pass the torch from one concrete-jawed hero (Willis) to another (Affleck). It's like watching a two hour music video. Be scared here. Laugh now. Cry now. Be happy! Hooray! Take your trash as you leave, and pretend you weren't ripped off. Jeremy's right: Deep Impact went right where this went wrong. Expand
  48. Jeremy
    Sep 29, 2003
    Ok, so I guess it delivered the action sequences that the far superior "Deep Impact" didn't. But when cringing between predictability, one-dimentional, corny characters, hyper-kinetic editing, and some truly painful dialogue, I guess I didn't notice.

1. Director Michael Bay's filmmaking style is so frantic and frenetic that it's often impossible to figure out exactly what is happening.
    The movie is ridiculous, but since the special effects are really quite impressive, that seems a small point.
  3. The actors mark time, and the gung-ho heroics on display are embarrassingly hollow.