Universal Pictures | Release Date: February 19, 1993
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 151 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MeritCobaSep 11, 2016
I am pretty good now, having slept for six hours instead of my four so I feel in a positive mood. So, this particular movie is a complete utter waste of your time unless you like overacting of the obnoxious kind, crappy dialog that bordersI am pretty good now, having slept for six hours instead of my four so I feel in a positive mood. So, this particular movie is a complete utter waste of your time unless you like overacting of the obnoxious kind, crappy dialog that borders on the campy, a redundant script and people being put down because that is funny or are seriously intoxicated.
The movie is carried by Campbell and that is about it. Bruce Campbell will never rank among the best of actors or even among admirable b actors. He overacts, is a buffoon and annoying, but he makes much of it up by sheer utter enthusiasm.
So there isn't really a good story as the movie is mostly a series of patched together sketches with Campbell as the star. Campbell graces the poster of the movie with a chainsaw for his right hand. It is used for a very short time just so it could be on the poster. The jokes are of the bottom kind: crude, at the expense of others, shaming people and embarrassing. For instance a running joke is that he calls the people of the middleages primitives. There is some slapstick in it that reminds you of Chalie Chaplin or Buster Keaton. Unfortunately, because Campbell is such a crud you never get to like him as you get to like Chaplin and Keaton. Which is the iceberg that sinks this one. Campbell has no redeeming qualities, nothing that makes you like him or even 'get' him.
In the eighties cgi was unknown hence the army of the undead is made with stop motion. It is admirable to see how that is done, the patience and editing is laudable. Yet it looks totally awful today. Stop motion is still used in animation movies nowadays, with better skill, but never mind.
What else is there to say?
I skipped through parts of this brainless boring movie that probably gets pawned off as being cult. Garbage would be a better word.
Did I give it a five?