8.0

1. Jul 11, 2012
    This is simply an amazing thriller/drama about the French resistance movement during world war 2. There are some scenes so tense they are hard to watch, and other scenes that are brilliantly poignant, and all of it is incredibly well acted. Melville at his top form.
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    This film is one of the darkest, uncompromising and unsettling movie products of the 1960s - a war movie with no bars and a moral prerogative as gray as the walls of the many prison cells we find the characters in.
  3. Aug 20, 2010
    The 99 metascore is a bit high, but the 8.1 user score is a bit low. This whole movie is very good, but there is one scene in particular (the attempt to break out a beaten associate) that really lives a strong feeling in the pit of your stomach.
  4. ClayC
    Sep 15, 2009
    A truly great film. Your users that have given ARMY OF SHADOWS poor reviews seem not just ignorant of cinema, but, especially, ignorant of history. (They actually seem to be just plain ignorant, and very full of themselves.)
  5. JulianT.
    May 8, 2009
    If you like cinema just as much as I do, you can do nothing but admit that this is probably one of the greatest movie ever... I don't get annoyed by those saying that this was too "slow" or so on... they don't have a clue about what "Cinema" really is. Thank you so much mister Melville.
  6. JeanN.
    Apr 22, 2008
    Simply the best film I have ever seen.
  7. MatthewG.
    Dec 5, 2007
    This film punched me in the chest and woke me up from my "modern cinema" induced coma. A masterpiece that captures humanity at it's best and worst.
  8. J.Weeks
    Nov 29, 2007
    I fell in love with Melville's work when I first saw Le Samourai a year or two ago. He was the master of showing you rather than telling you and this film is no exception. It is true that this film may seem a little slow but there is so much under the surface that no one should be bored. I particularly loved the unspoken way that regular French people recognized the members of the I fell in love with Melville's work when I first saw Le Samourai a year or two ago. He was the master of showing you rather than telling you and this film is no exception. It is true that this film may seem a little slow but there is so much under the surface that no one should be bored. I particularly loved the unspoken way that regular French people recognized the members of the resistance and helped them without a word. I loved that these were regular people, a mathematician, a civil engineer...they were not elite special forces. This story takes the glamor out of the resistance and that, to me, makes it all the more heroic. Expand
  9. KevinL.
    Jul 30, 2007
    I was surprised to find that this film was made in 1969. It has aged v well. Coldly realistic, scary, moving, thought-provoking. A truly brilliant film. I didn't know the director before yesterday. I will look up his other films.
  10. ChristopherD.
    Jun 12, 2007
    This is a well crafted, great collaboration. This movie is shot with more than just craft and the story line is unobtrusive as it takes you deep into a group of French resistors. The film does not take too much time showing how evil the Nazi's are but treats it as a fact of life no matter how unbearable it might have been. It does not dwell on the many French who helped support the This is a well crafted, great collaboration. This movie is shot with more than just craft and the story line is unobtrusive as it takes you deep into a group of French resistors. The film does not take too much time showing how evil the Nazi's are but treats it as a fact of life no matter how unbearable it might have been. It does not dwell on the many French who helped support the Nazi regime. Instead without being overly emotional we are still drawn into the emotions of the characters and threat they constantly faced. This is one of the greatest stories about courage I have ever seen. Worth your time and money and demands repeated viewings. Expand
  11. LarryR.
    Dec 26, 2006
    Certainly the best movie I've seen in 2006; one of the best in the past 5 years. From the opening shot to the haunting ending, I couldn't get the movie out of my mind for weeks.
  12. MichelF.
    Jul 26, 2006
    Stunning, moving film by a true master. Those who complain about the slow pace have seen too many Hollywood crap or MTV garbage.
  13. TedP.
    Jul 1, 2006
    Difficult to imagine that one can strip a series of perilous encounters down to their existential terror any better than Melville.
  14. JustinS.
    Jun 30, 2006
    An excellent, gritty movie that never loses sight of the fact that the members of the Resistance were above all human, not action movie stars. It does seem rather dreary and depressing and lacks emotion other than fear and exhaustion and it doesn't give much sense of what the characters are thinking or feeling, but a terrific film nonetheless.
  15. FlemmingK.
    Jun 15, 2006
    Melville at his very best! Stunning!
  16. JoachimG.
    Jun 13, 2006
    Simply a masterpiece!
  17. AaronS.
    May 29, 2006
    Better late than never. Melville's great 1969 film enjoys its first U.S. release this year. As such, it's the best film of 2006.
  18. J.Rsoenberg
    May 27, 2006
    Riveting blockbuster that drew me in so persuasivly that afterward I felt I was still on the run from German soldiers in Paris in 1944.
  19. MikeT.
    May 17, 2006
    Powerful, moving, hypnotic, and eerily modern.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Infused with the bleak romanticism of Melville's gangster movies ("Le Samouraï," "Bob le Flambeur"), and deepened by his own experiences in the Resistance, this hard-bitten tribute to freedom fighters makes most current movies look flabby and undisciplined. Don't miss it.
    It's here that Melville fully achieved his notion of the sublime, applying "Le Samouraï's" "empty" compositions and near theatrical blocking, as well as its methodical suspense, cosmic fatalism, and sense of grim solitude, to a subject far closer to his heart, namely his own World War II experiences.
  3. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    Composed of relatively few events and scenes, it's often excruciatingly tense and never less than heartbreakingly human. And as much as I admire "Munich," Shadows leaves Spielberg's film in the dust in the moral-ambiguity department. Never before seen in the States, it's already on my year's ten-best list. (April 2006 Premiere)