6.3

1. Jan 5, 2011
    I thought it was a very strange film. I saw it when I was very young and I feel like someone was just trying to make another version of ET. It did however tug on the heart strings a bunch. But the end was just weird.
  2. Nov 18, 2012
    Artificial Intelligence is a miscalculation, and we can probably attribute that because it was Stanley Kubrick's unfinished vision.
  3. JeffD.
    Apr 20, 2002
    This movie had great potiental, but went nowhere with it. The actors' performances were good, but the plot was lacking. After the first hour the movie became a chore to watch.
  4. SteveM.
    May 26, 2002
    The beginning of the film is very good. Kubrick displays well his typical darkness. However, the movie degenerates into outlandish sentimentality at the end. I am told Spielberg added this part to the film. Shame on him.
  5. RusB.
    Jul 9, 2002
    Spielberg doing Kubrik is like Tarantino doing Spielberg. It was like watching a two hour long twilight zone episode that i felt i had seen before.
  6. Bayleef14
    Aug 20, 2002
    Steven Spielberg's biggest misstep since "Hook". It has a great cast, great screenwriters, and a great director. It even had a decent story. But when you sit for so long during a movie you expect it to pay off. For "A.I." there is no payoff, just a hokey, sappy ending that really never solves anything. I believe that somewhere in this movie a good story could be told and made into a Steven Spielberg's biggest misstep since "Hook". It has a great cast, great screenwriters, and a great director. It even had a decent story. But when you sit for so long during a movie you expect it to pay off. For "A.I." there is no payoff, just a hokey, sappy ending that really never solves anything. I believe that somewhere in this movie a good story could be told and made into a better movie with a more pleasing ending. But for now all we have is this. Go see "Minority Report", a movie that satisfies much more than this. Expand
  7. AadhaarV.
    Feb 8, 2003
    It is quite strange, you dont know where it is quite going but you're gripped till the end. The main problem it is very long and one tends to get bored. In all "Weird but Good."
  8. RichardE.
    Feb 11, 2005
    A meandering and unfocused film, with a predictable Spielberg epilog tagged on to give the audience something to feel positive about after two hours of miserable emptiness. Yuck.
  9. ManveerR.
    Feb 18, 2006
    Palin average one speilbergs half hearted efforts good visuals and not bad acting but movie dragged on way too long it was pathetic.
  10. MichaelC.
    Sep 14, 2001
    I looked at this film in many ways. At the start I found it excellent and intriguing, with full-on intelligence and well-built story. However, in the second half, I really started to dislike this film. I found it harder and harder to take seriously. The Flesh Flame thing was just silly, and some of those fantasy sets, although very impressive visually, were laughable. In the final third, I looked at this film in many ways. At the start I found it excellent and intriguing, with full-on intelligence and well-built story. However, in the second half, I really started to dislike this film. I found it harder and harder to take seriously. The Flesh Flame thing was just silly, and some of those fantasy sets, although very impressive visually, were laughable. In the final third, this movie impressed me just enough to get the score about a 4 or 5/10. The thing that really took me off this movie was its disappointingly uninteresting story. The central character David trying to find ?The Blue Fairy? to make a couple of wishes was dopey and silly and ruined the movie?s potential. However, I found this movie to be visually impressive, nice to look at, with some excellent set designs, a great performance from our little blessing Haley Joel Osment and a neat little teddy bear that steals the show. On the other side, the film was sometimes cheesy, mostly uninteresting through the acts and disappoints from the moment David (Haley Joel Osment) steps away from his family. This was one of the year?s most anticipated cinema events, and although it was average and just bearable, it could?ve been something so much more. Because we definitely don?t want to see another "Hook" do we, Steven Spielberg? Expand
  11. RobertP.
    Apr 29, 2002
    This movie would've been much better if Kubrick was still alive to direct it. Spielberg does a fair enough job, but the child-friendly Disney aspects ruin an otherwise dark and intriguing film.
  12. ToriD.
    May 16, 2002
    This movie was a huge disappointment. When you hear a name like Steven Spielberg you expect something good, but this was far from it. It was depressing and, in the end, left you wondering why any of the talented people would commit to such a drab movie.
  13. SayleyR.
    May 28, 2002
    The beginning was great and all the actors very talented but it was obvious they couldn't find any good ending and since Speilberg is such a sappy person and they didn't want to make it too long they just brought in aliens to make it all better. It saddens me that such an interesting and great thought was waisted on such an awful storyline, they never tie up the loose strings The beginning was great and all the actors very talented but it was obvious they couldn't find any good ending and since Speilberg is such a sappy person and they didn't want to make it too long they just brought in aliens to make it all better. It saddens me that such an interesting and great thought was waisted on such an awful storyline, they never tie up the loose strings about gigilo and his "father" and Martin it just ends all sappy. Expand
  14. Layne
    Jul 24, 2003
    Without so much as an esscence of reality in the fictious world of Kubrick, the movie proves to be simply a bizarre failure with one of the most ridiculous endings to any film I've ever seen.
  15. JayZ.
    Jun 28, 2004
    One of the worst movie endings of all time. A just plain wierd film...
  16. May 24, 2013
    Far from being the complete disaster of a movie that some would have you believe A.I certainly gets many things right. The plot, revolving around the ability to produce life-like artificial children, is certainly an interesting concept and the film does on occasions raise some interesting questions The performances, particularly from Hayley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense), are also veryFar from being the complete disaster of a movie that some would have you believe A.I certainly gets many things right. The plot, revolving around the ability to produce life-like artificial children, is certainly an interesting concept and the film does on occasions raise some interesting questions The performances, particularly from Hayley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense), are also very good.

As a result, despite coming across as a little disjointed in places, A.I is a more than passable piece of sci-fi for the much of its running time. Unfortunately many viewers will remember only the apparently rushed and poorly explained ending and the fact that Spielberg has gone online to help clear it up speaks volumes for how it was received.
  17. Dec 15, 2011
    Stephen Spielberg once again directs an excellent film, at least for the first half. The camera angles are beautifully positioned and the camera movements flow smoothly. Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law give terrific performances and the futuristic setting is entirely believable and well created. But for the majority of the second half, the film becomes tiresome. Every scene is filled withStephen Spielberg once again directs an excellent film, at least for the first half. The camera angles are beautifully positioned and the camera movements flow smoothly. Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law give terrific performances and the futuristic setting is entirely believable and well created. But for the majority of the second half, the film becomes tiresome. Every scene is filled with some implausible and unbelievable circumstance and the final ending almost seems as if Spielberg was attempting to give humanity a pat on the back for our "spirit" while ignoring our blood lust and violent nature. Then comes the resolution, which is simply horrendous. Spielberg introduces a new element to the plot as if trying to give homage to a truly great film from his past. Unfortunately, while the connection is seen, it is unrelatable and fails to enhance this film in any way. In fact, it becomes more of a detriment than anything else. Artificial Intelligence thus ways in as only slightly above average, entirely due to the first half of the film, and pales in comparison to Spielberg's true masterpieces. Expand
  18. Feb 24, 2013
    A.I. is quite possibly the strangest and most disturbing movie I've ever seen. The special effects and the teddy bear were cool as hell, but the whole story was just freaking creepy.
  19. Nov 6, 2014
    While not the greatest story line, and it does lack in that department it does show you new aspects. It makes you feel angry and sad for robots at the same time during some points in the movie. It has some nice special effects, and I would have to say the ending is the best part, because it's heart wrenching. It's a good movie to watch if you have the time, nothing spectacular but just aWhile not the greatest story line, and it does lack in that department it does show you new aspects. It makes you feel angry and sad for robots at the same time during some points in the movie. It has some nice special effects, and I would have to say the ending is the best part, because it's heart wrenching. It's a good movie to watch if you have the time, nothing spectacular but just a good movie. Expand

What we're left with -- Kubrick or no -- is a muddled, messy disaster of a film, something that seems more like a drastically edited miniseries, cut down to incomprehensible levels with whole sections missing.
  2. Pure magic, a three-act movie fantasy that transports us -- as the best films do -- to a world of its own, a place of ambiguous joy and delirious terror.
  3. Audiences may find that the deliberate, Kubrickesque pacing -- without his intellectual rigor -- causes them to tune out.