6.3

1. JimT
    Aug 17, 2009
    The film gets this rating simply because it tackles a subject much deeper than 98% of the dreck in theatres now. The fact that it is flawed, probably because it was conceived and executed by two genius filmmakers, only creates a tension that adds to the rating. Utterly fascinating.
  2. GustavoH.R.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Wonderful. A perfect match: Kubrick's bitterness with Spielberg's heart. This masterpiece was misunderstood, but again, it's too odd and dark for general audiences. Brilliant.
  3. Jul 10, 2015
    Unfortunately, HBO has been sucking up valuable time I pay for by showing this film ad nauseam this month. It still stinks and looks even older. Awful story, treacly music, ridiculous plot, horrible acting, lamest ending ever conceived of. It's supposed to be a tearjerker but it is a head scratcher. If I were Ted, I would commit suicide thinking that my future teddy bear self would end upUnfortunately, HBO has been sucking up valuable time I pay for by showing this film ad nauseam this month. It still stinks and looks even older. Awful story, treacly music, ridiculous plot, horrible acting, lamest ending ever conceived of. It's supposed to be a tearjerker but it is a head scratcher. If I were Ted, I would commit suicide thinking that my future teddy bear self would end up with THAT family. Humans is much much better and William Hurt is not being wasted there. Expand
  4. Aug 16, 2014
    Artificial Intelligence is a pretty great film from Spielberg. It could have been a bit better, though, as it's final act seems flabby and contrived. This is a movie that sorely needed a better ending. Nether-the-less, it's an entertaining ride.
  5. May 24, 2013
    Far from being the complete disaster of a movie that some would have you believe A.I certainly gets many things right. The plot, revolving around the ability to produce life-like artificial children, is certainly an interesting concept and the film does on occasions raise some interesting questions The performances, particularly from Hayley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense), are also veryFar from being the complete disaster of a movie that some would have you believe A.I certainly gets many things right. The plot, revolving around the ability to produce life-like artificial children, is certainly an interesting concept and the film does on occasions raise some interesting questions The performances, particularly from Hayley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense), are also very good.

As a result, despite coming across as a little disjointed in places, A.I is a more than passable piece of sci-fi for the much of its running time. Unfortunately many viewers will remember only the apparently rushed and poorly explained ending and the fact that Spielberg has gone online to help clear it up speaks volumes for how it was received.
  6. Dec 15, 2011
    Stephen Spielberg once again directs an excellent film, at least for the first half. The camera angles are beautifully positioned and the camera movements flow smoothly. Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law give terrific performances and the futuristic setting is entirely believable and well created. But for the majority of the second half, the film becomes tiresome. Every scene is filled withStephen Spielberg once again directs an excellent film, at least for the first half. The camera angles are beautifully positioned and the camera movements flow smoothly. Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law give terrific performances and the futuristic setting is entirely believable and well created. But for the majority of the second half, the film becomes tiresome. Every scene is filled with some implausible and unbelievable circumstance and the final ending almost seems as if Spielberg was attempting to give humanity a pat on the back for our "spirit" while ignoring our blood lust and violent nature. Then comes the resolution, which is simply horrendous. Spielberg introduces a new element to the plot as if trying to give homage to a truly great film from his past. Unfortunately, while the connection is seen, it is unrelatable and fails to enhance this film in any way. In fact, it becomes more of a detriment than anything else. Artificial Intelligence thus ways in as only slightly above average, entirely due to the first half of the film, and pales in comparison to Spielberg's true masterpieces. Expand
  7. Feb 24, 2013
    A.I. is quite possibly the strangest and most disturbing movie I've ever seen. The special effects and the teddy bear were cool as hell, but the whole story was just freaking creepy.
  8. Aug 8, 2014
    This one took me a bit to get into as the first half is just not that good. It is necessary, but not interesting in the least. However, the second half really knocks it out of the park and leaves you with tears in your eyes for practically the entire final 20 minutes. Now, the ending is a little sentimental, but the film gets points for not going as sentimental as I thought it could have,This one took me a bit to get into as the first half is just not that good. It is necessary, but not interesting in the least. However, the second half really knocks it out of the park and leaves you with tears in your eyes for practically the entire final 20 minutes. Now, the ending is a little sentimental, but the film gets points for not going as sentimental as I thought it could have, so thank God for that. Haley Joel Osment is a revelation in the lead role and absolutely kills it. This film rests on his shoulders and the fact that he, at age 13, handles that burden this well and performs the way he did is stunningly impressive. The direction from Stephen Spielberg is also strong, though I would have loved to see Stanley Kubrick's take on this film, as I do think Kubrick would have done better with the materials he was given, not to say Spielberg did poorly. While the effects are great and the cinematography gorgeous, the real strength of this one is the pathos and pure child-like magic that really touches your heart. Without it, this one would be entirely lackluster. The ending goes on for a bit too long, but is actually filled with a lot more questions than initially meets the eye. At the end of the day, A.I. is an interesting film that is a success due to the emotions it provokes and how it utilizes its fantasy elements. Expand
  9. Aug 5, 2013
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence 8/10.....................................................................................................................
  10. Jul 10, 2014
    Superb acting, great visual effects, decent story. It had some fun and dramatic scenes, but overall this was a boring movie to me. Great idea but with less fantasy it would've been much better. 7/10
  11. Jul 16, 2013
    Bad movie, just pointless. All the story is so unnatural, so forced. How the family reacts with the boy and the robot is without sense. I cant belive why that movie are so overrated.
  12. Jul 5, 2014
    What a beautiful movie. It's heartbreaking, it's visually fantastic and very curious. The acting is top-notch, the story is interesting and overall, a great film.
  13. Apr 18, 2015
    A.I. is just as philosophical as 2001 and just as poignant as E.T. David's quest to become a real boy is the most fascinating exploration of the human condition I've ever seen. Through the course of the film, he's governed by irrational love, blind faith, self-delusion and eventual death. The primary question of the Pinocchio fable has always been “What does it mean to be human?” A.I.A.I. is just as philosophical as 2001 and just as poignant as E.T. David's quest to become a real boy is the most fascinating exploration of the human condition I've ever seen. Through the course of the film, he's governed by irrational love, blind faith, self-delusion and eventual death. The primary question of the Pinocchio fable has always been “What does it mean to be human?” A.I. finds dark and sobering answers. Expand
  14. Nov 6, 2014
    While not the greatest story line, and it does lack in that department it does show you new aspects. It makes you feel angry and sad for robots at the same time during some points in the movie. It has some nice special effects, and I would have to say the ending is the best part, because it's heart wrenching. It's a good movie to watch if you have the time, nothing spectacular but just aWhile not the greatest story line, and it does lack in that department it does show you new aspects. It makes you feel angry and sad for robots at the same time during some points in the movie. It has some nice special effects, and I would have to say the ending is the best part, because it's heart wrenching. It's a good movie to watch if you have the time, nothing spectacular but just a good movie. Expand
  15. Dec 29, 2014
    Splendid,Brilliant never thought how great Steven Spielberg can become! A movie beyond time , a master of putting imagination into reality.

A 2001 Film seriously ? Just in the year 2012 Quantic Dream released a AI engine video based on this concept.Android named Kara (played by Valorie Curry) who presents a dilemma to her operator after discovering the ability to think. AI is not

A 2001 Film seriously ?

AI is not far behind now. A reality ?

*Speilberg should have directed INTERSTELLAR*

What we're left with -- Kubrick or no -- is a muddled, messy disaster of a film, something that seems more like a drastically edited miniseries, cut down to incomprehensible levels with whole sections missing.
  2. Pure magic, a three-act movie fantasy that transports us -- as the best films do -- to a world of its own, a place of ambiguous joy and delirious terror.
  3. Audiences may find that the deliberate, Kubrickesque pacing -- without his intellectual rigor -- causes them to tune out.