Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 29, 2001
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 308 Ratings
WATCH NOW
wesker2012Jul 23, 2016
One of my favorite movies. Emotionally touching and thought provoking. Also interesting characters and great use of cgi. Highly recommend if you are a Sci Fan.
CDK86Apr 26, 2016
This film is amazing, never before have a cried and felt such involvement with a robot character. This film makes one think about AI and the way we will treat robots in the future.
It's thought provoking, heart wrenching, well produced and
It's thought provoking, heart wrenching, well produced and makes you really want David to be happy.
I really don't understand the bad reviews on here, perhaps some people simply lack compassion and empathy or the don't have the capacity for it.
EpicLadySpongeApr 5, 2016
As smart as a normal computer AI in any video game you might be playing right now, but still suffers from lack of total hardness like what a tough computer AI would always do.
MrMovieBuffMar 3, 2016
'A.I. Artificial Intelligence' is a flawed movie, without a doubt...but it's hardly Spielberg's worst movie, nor is it one of the worst movies ever made.

The idea was conceived by the late Stanley Kubrick ('2001' and 'A Clockwork Orange') for some 15 years, but was unwilling to take the project further because he thought that the CGI special effects were not advanced enough for his vision of the film. It wasn't until Kubrick saw Steven Spielberg's impressively detailed 'Jurassic Park' (1993) that he decided to collaborate with him and maybe even give him directing rights.

The movie stars Haley Joel Osment ('The Sixth Sense') as David, an 11 year old boy robot, or "mecha" that looks like an actual human child, feels like a human child, and can even display the emotion of love. But how can anyone love a boy if he is not real?

The couple that take him and look after him are parents; Monica (Frances O'Connor) and Henry (Sam Robards). Monica seems very frightened and emotionally disconnected from David, there is not much he can understand that humans do. David also doesn't sleep at night, but he is willing to imitate such an activity, he also doesn't eat, but likes to sit at the table to make him feel part of the family.

Eventually, Monica grows fond of David as he calls her "Mommy", and they begin to understand each other better.

One day, after David begins doing some dangerous things even though he was unaware, Monica decides that he is too unsafe to have around the house, and so she abandons David like someone would abandon their pet dog maybe because he accidentally attacked the youngest child.

All alone, David tries to find out where he must go, he remembers the story of "Pinocchio" and how the Blue Fairy is the one who changed the wooden Pinocchio into a real boy, and was able to live his life joyfully.

On the way, the young and vulnerable David meets a male, robotic prostitute named Gigolo Joe (Jude Law) who helps David find his way to the Blue Fairy in Manhattan. David meets his creator, Professor Hobby (William Hurt), who tells him all about his origins, David is shocked and upset to discover that he is not one of a kind, nor was he ever a real boy.

I liked this movie, I'm aware that the ending may have been too drawn out and long-winded for some, but I found myself almost emotionally drained in the moment. I felt sympathy for the young, robotic child who just wants to be loved by his mother, I wanted there to be a happy ending just like the way everything was solved in Disney's 'Pinocchio' (1940).

Without spoiling too much, some say that this movie is like watching two different movies at once, the first half feeling more like a Stanley Kubrick film due to the bleak and almost eerie atmosphere the tone sets itself out to be. The second half was said to be more sentimental and innocent, like most Steven Spielberg films.

The movie is 2 hours and 25 minutes long, and like most good or great films, all those minutes fly by as if it was half that run-time. I cared for the characters, I believed the story and the way it was executed, and I admired Spielberg's commitments to finishing off what Kubrick had trouble with. A story like this is no easy task to complete, Spielberg's execution may not be the most seamless, but he would have done a better job than most directors.

Good, but not great Spielberg.
FilmQueenOct 29, 2015
Fascinatingly interesting! This film is beautiful and a bit sad. Haley Joel Osment's acting is simply brilliant, it's very easy to believe that the kid is an android, not a human. Yet his dreams and emotions are very human. A contradictoryFascinatingly interesting! This film is beautiful and a bit sad. Haley Joel Osment's acting is simply brilliant, it's very easy to believe that the kid is an android, not a human. Yet his dreams and emotions are very human. A contradictory character very well portrayed! Expand
AijixeSep 27, 2015
Artificial Intelligence is a film for people who have the second word in the film's title. It's ambitious and downright silly at moments, but it pays to be silly nowadays.
Tony_VJul 10, 2015
Unfortunately, HBO has been sucking up valuable time I pay for by showing this film ad nauseam this month. It still stinks and looks even older. Awful story, treacly music, ridiculous plot, horrible acting, lamest ending ever conceived of.Unfortunately, HBO has been sucking up valuable time I pay for by showing this film ad nauseam this month. It still stinks and looks even older. Awful story, treacly music, ridiculous plot, horrible acting, lamest ending ever conceived of. It's supposed to be a tearjerker but it is a head scratcher. If I were Ted, I would commit suicide thinking that my future teddy bear self would end up with THAT family. Humans is much much better and William Hurt is not being wasted there. Expand
AkashVijayApr 18, 2015
A.I. is just as philosophical as 2001 and just as poignant as E.T. David's quest to become a real boy is the most fascinating exploration of the human condition I've ever seen. Through the course of the film, he's governed by irrational love,A.I. is just as philosophical as 2001 and just as poignant as E.T. David's quest to become a real boy is the most fascinating exploration of the human condition I've ever seen. Through the course of the film, he's governed by irrational love, blind faith, self-delusion and eventual death. The primary question of the Pinocchio fable has always been “What does it mean to be human?” A.I. finds dark and sobering answers. Expand
root_Dec 29, 2014
Splendid,Brilliant never thought how great Steven Spielberg can become! A movie beyond time , a master of putting imagination into reality.

A 2001 Film seriously ? Just in the year 2012 Quantic Dream released a AI engine video based on

A 2001 Film seriously ?

Just in the year 2012 Quantic Dream released a AI engine video based on this concept.Android named Kara (played by Valorie Curry) who presents a dilemma to her operator after discovering the ability to think.

AI is not far behind now. A reality ?

*Speilberg should have directed INTERSTELLAR*
SiAScORCHNov 6, 2014
While not the greatest story line, and it does lack in that department it does show you new aspects. It makes you feel angry and sad for robots at the same time during some points in the movie. It has some nice special effects, and I wouldWhile not the greatest story line, and it does lack in that department it does show you new aspects. It makes you feel angry and sad for robots at the same time during some points in the movie. It has some nice special effects, and I would have to say the ending is the best part, because it's heart wrenching. It's a good movie to watch if you have the time, nothing spectacular but just a good movie. Expand
TokyochuchuAug 16, 2014
Artificial Intelligence is a pretty great film from Spielberg. It could have been a bit better, though, as it's final act seems flabby and contrived. This is a movie that sorely needed a better ending. Nether-the-less, it's an entertaining ride.
SpangleAug 8, 2014
This one took me a bit to get into as the first half is just not that good. It is necessary, but not interesting in the least. However, the second half really knocks it out of the park and leaves you with tears in your eyes for practicallyThis one took me a bit to get into as the first half is just not that good. It is necessary, but not interesting in the least. However, the second half really knocks it out of the park and leaves you with tears in your eyes for practically the entire final 20 minutes. Now, the ending is a little sentimental, but the film gets points for not going as sentimental as I thought it could have, so thank God for that. Haley Joel Osment is a revelation in the lead role and absolutely kills it. This film rests on his shoulders and the fact that he, at age 13, handles that burden this well and performs the way he did is stunningly impressive. The direction from Stephen Spielberg is also strong, though I would have loved to see Stanley Kubrick's take on this film, as I do think Kubrick would have done better with the materials he was given, not to say Spielberg did poorly. While the effects are great and the cinematography gorgeous, the real strength of this one is the pathos and pure child-like magic that really touches your heart. Without it, this one would be entirely lackluster. The ending goes on for a bit too long, but is actually filled with a lot more questions than initially meets the eye. At the end of the day, A.I. is an interesting film that is a success due to the emotions it provokes and how it utilizes its fantasy elements. Expand
SEROJJul 10, 2014
Superb acting, great visual effects, decent story. It had some fun and dramatic scenes, but overall this was a boring movie to me. Great idea but with less fantasy it would've been much better. 7/10
diogomendesJul 5, 2014
What a beautiful movie. It's heartbreaking, it's visually fantastic and very curious. The acting is top-notch, the story is interesting and overall, a great film.
hardkor33Aug 5, 2013
A.I. Artificial Intelligence 8/10.....................................................................................................................
voidersJul 16, 2013
Bad movie, just pointless. All the story is so unnatural, so forced. How the family reacts with the boy and the robot is without sense. I cant belive why that movie are so overrated.
drlowdonMay 24, 2013
Far from being the complete disaster of a movie that some would have you believe A.I certainly gets many things right. The plot, revolving around the ability to produce life-like artificial children, is certainly an interesting concept andFar from being the complete disaster of a movie that some would have you believe A.I certainly gets many things right. The plot, revolving around the ability to produce life-like artificial children, is certainly an interesting concept and the film does on occasions raise some interesting questions The performances, particularly from Hayley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense), are also very good.

As a result, despite coming across as a little disjointed in places, A.I is a more than passable piece of sci-fi for the much of its running time. Unfortunately many viewers will remember only the apparently rushed and poorly explained ending and the fact that Spielberg has gone online to help clear it up speaks volumes for how it was received.
Tss5078Feb 24, 2013
A.I. is quite possibly the strangest and most disturbing movie I've ever seen. The special effects and the teddy bear were cool as hell, but the whole story was just freaking creepy.
oliver1hFeb 11, 2013
There has been many topics on various forums debating whether this movie is a good one or not. I think it is! Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Kubrick explored the the possible consequences of humans creating robots, that mainly serve our differentThere has been many topics on various forums debating whether this movie is a good one or not. I think it is! Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Kubrick explored the the possible consequences of humans creating robots, that mainly serve our different needs and desires (child like robots, prostitute or service robots...). We can see this future world through the eyes of a child robot named David, who wants to become "real" so that he can regain the love of his human "mother". This is where things get interesting, Many ethical questions arise: What does it mean to be "real" or alive? Does a robot has real feelings, soul, thoughts of his own? How do humans approach these artificial beings. Are they even beings or just objects? I think the director explored these ideas quiet well. The cinematography, and acting is really good. The future world is well thought out, Definitely worth a look, because sooner or later we need to face these questions in reality! Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 18, 2012
Artificial Intelligence is a miscalculation, and we can probably attribute that because it was Stanley Kubrick's unfinished vision.
micahmannMar 2, 2012
Brilliant movie. Kubrick's mind was a special place. And to have Speilberg finish his last project after death, is the combination of two of the most gifted visionaries in cinema. A futuristic tale of a robot boy programmed to love, seeksBrilliant movie. Kubrick's mind was a special place. And to have Speilberg finish his last project after death, is the combination of two of the most gifted visionaries in cinema. A futuristic tale of a robot boy programmed to love, seeks love and the "blue fairy," that will make him a real live boy. Expand
Alexander_FredDec 15, 2011
Stephen Spielberg once again directs an excellent film, at least for the first half. The camera angles are beautifully positioned and the camera movements flow smoothly. Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law give terrific performances and theStephen Spielberg once again directs an excellent film, at least for the first half. The camera angles are beautifully positioned and the camera movements flow smoothly. Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law give terrific performances and the futuristic setting is entirely believable and well created. But for the majority of the second half, the film becomes tiresome. Every scene is filled with some implausible and unbelievable circumstance and the final ending almost seems as if Spielberg was attempting to give humanity a pat on the back for our "spirit" while ignoring our blood lust and violent nature. Then comes the resolution, which is simply horrendous. Spielberg introduces a new element to the plot as if trying to give homage to a truly great film from his past. Unfortunately, while the connection is seen, it is unrelatable and fails to enhance this film in any way. In fact, it becomes more of a detriment than anything else. Artificial Intelligence thus ways in as only slightly above average, entirely due to the first half of the film, and pales in comparison to Spielberg's true masterpieces. Expand
J42HmusicFeb 19, 2011
One of the best films I have ever seen. They could have cut the end back but what fantastic acting and thoughtful plots... I can't understand why someone
ALangdonJan 5, 2011
I thought it was a very strange film. I saw it when I was very young and I feel like someone was just trying to make another version of ET. It did however tug on the heart strings a bunch. But the end was just weird.
JimTAug 17, 2009
The film gets this rating simply because it tackles a subject much deeper than 98% of the dreck in theatres now. The fact that it is flawed, probably because it was conceived and executed by two genius filmmakers, only creates a tension that The film gets this rating simply because it tackles a subject much deeper than 98% of the dreck in theatres now. The fact that it is flawed, probably because it was conceived and executed by two genius filmmakers, only creates a tension that adds to the rating. Utterly fascinating. Expand
JordanKAug 11, 2009
The movie has all the grand, adventurous, frightening, intelligent, and quirky aspects you'd expect from the Kubrick-Speilberg collaboration. While its occasionally knocked for its almost act-by-act feel, the film succeeds to explore The movie has all the grand, adventurous, frightening, intelligent, and quirky aspects you'd expect from the Kubrick-Speilberg collaboration. While its occasionally knocked for its almost act-by-act feel, the film succeeds to explore the world they created with it. Excellent and engaging, although the forced cathartic ending is forgettable at best, and somewhat takes away from the experience. Expand
EdwardR.Aug 2, 2009
I was very young when I watched this film. I don't remember it very well, which makes me happy. I remember that I didn't care about any of the characters, how self-indulgent the film was, and most of all how the film went on, and I was very young when I watched this film. I don't remember it very well, which makes me happy. I remember that I didn't care about any of the characters, how self-indulgent the film was, and most of all how the film went on, and on, and on, and on. And then on some more. I actually started crying because I was really desperate for the film to end (not because of the 'emotion' of the film, but because I was bored) around where [massive spoiler] the aliens turn up and bring the robot's mother back for a moment or too. Well, I was in tears, shame about my reasons. I gave it a one rather than a zero because there is some good ideas and passable acting, but really, I *hated* this film. It should be locked in a cupboard so it can make love to itself in peace. (I should point out that being a small child at the time, I may not of had the best perspective on the film, though I stand by my opinion stubbornly, because I was a pretty smart kid). Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
KolomanR.Jun 19, 2009
Who knew sentimentality could be lifted to such artistic heights? Kubrick was spot on in his choice of director. This film is an unqualified masterpiece.
JoshR.May 1, 2009
An underrated masterpiece from one of the greatest directors of our time.
JoshVMar 31, 2009
This movie is amazing and flawless the people who gave this a bad review are shallow and have no back up for their reasons, this is the most underrated movie of this decade.
SebastianL.Mar 16, 2009
Discount the number. As another critic leaned, this piece is not a movie as much as a rumination; as such, it might be one of the most difficult movies of all time to judge on a quantified scale. For those who decry the ending as overly Discount the number. As another critic leaned, this piece is not a movie as much as a rumination; as such, it might be one of the most difficult movies of all time to judge on a quantified scale. For those who decry the ending as overly sappy, perhaps you should try analyzing it. Yes, it's a statement about the human mystery of faith and the power of love to generate (real) life; but it's made in the depts of a frozen sea over two thousand years of loneliness and ice. A Slumdog Millionaire bow, this isn't. Expand
jonnyqAug 24, 2008
What appears to be a good movie, turns out to be disappointing and the production values of Senior Speilbergo cannot hide that. As Sean P said it is "is very meandering and self-indulgent and weird and incoherent" - and it is not an awful What appears to be a good movie, turns out to be disappointing and the production values of Senior Speilbergo cannot hide that. As Sean P said it is "is very meandering and self-indulgent and weird and incoherent" - and it is not an awful watch but not worth paying to see. It is strange because it is not a cult film (like Donnie Darko) but it is not woefully bad. It is very self indulgent and plain weird. You won't find it difficult to understand and it raises some good points about AI but this is like a pretentious version of Pinnochio. I put the score of 10 so you would read this review - I don't know how to score this film - I may as well rate it as 'lemon pie'. Expand
SteveF.Jun 8, 2008
A Brilliant masterpiece! The Citizen Kane of science fiction.
AdrianneD.Jan 13, 2008
Challenging, harrowing, brilliantly imagined. the fusion of kubrick and spielberg is often messy but the friction is what generates the interest and depth. kubric chose spielberg to direct it for all the right reasons - in a story that Challenging, harrowing, brilliantly imagined. the fusion of kubrick and spielberg is often messy but the friction is what generates the interest and depth. kubric chose spielberg to direct it for all the right reasons - in a story that explores the ideas of what constitute love, longing, fear and humanity and their implications, spielberg's emotion gives depth to kubrick's intellect. Expand
TMJan 1, 2008
This is one of my all time favorite films, i just don't get why the critics have a problem with it. Yes it has flaws but that has to be expected as it was made by two different people. It has a great uneasy feel about it that makes it This is one of my all time favorite films, i just don't get why the critics have a problem with it. Yes it has flaws but that has to be expected as it was made by two different people. It has a great uneasy feel about it that makes it original. I didn't see it expecting a fluffy happy ending and that is not what i got(thank kubrick). A great film. Expand
SeanP.Feb 24, 2007
This film is one of my largest personal enigmas. I usually, almost always, find myself agreeing with the critics, and consequently, I use this site constantly and love it to death. But, there are 4 films that have gotten mixed metacritic This film is one of my largest personal enigmas. I usually, almost always, find myself agreeing with the critics, and consequently, I use this site constantly and love it to death. But, there are 4 films that have gotten mixed metacritic scores which I totally cannot be without: Fight Club, Requiem for a Dream, The New World, and this one. And it's very weird indeed. I recognize that this movie is very far from perfect, is very meandering and self-indulgent and weird and incoherent, and yet while I am actually watching it, my eyes can't leave the freaking screen. It's just one of those very imperfect but very vivid and addicting pieces of art. Much of this film, especially the ending, feels much like a dream, maybe because dreams are also meandering and hazy and incoherent, but dreaming is still essential and likable. Much like this. Expand
ShaneS.Aug 15, 2006
I'm a bit surprised, actually, by all the negative ratings this film has gotten. I disagree, though, because this film is great with three things. [***SPOILERS***] It pushes the imagination in a very uncomfortable way. That is, it I'm a bit surprised, actually, by all the negative ratings this film has gotten. I disagree, though, because this film is great with three things. [***SPOILERS***] It pushes the imagination in a very uncomfortable way. That is, it actually distorts the modern happy ending and hands it an undertone of depressing creepiness, and it does it for a good reason. It speaks volumes of whether or not love is an exclusively human thing. And lastly, it's a subtle examination of modern evolutionary theory, expecting in its efforts to say "humans' time will eventually end on this planet." The ending scene is necessary for that reason, and without it the film would not really have a point. With these long endings, though, where the first fade-out tricks you into believing it actually ends at a certain point, people get a little angry and flabberghasted that they didn't get to leave the theatres that much earlier. Expand
ManveerR.Feb 18, 2006
Palin average one speilbergs half hearted efforts good visuals and not bad acting but movie dragged on way too long it was pathetic.
S.GoldDec 21, 2005
This movie is a bad creepy, boring, overlong, pointless, and weird among other things avoid if you can. Spielberg's worst!
0 of 1 users found this helpful
MikeG.Dec 7, 2005
I was blown away by the way this movie was conceived and realized. The best movies about the future are really movies that look at the present and where we're heading, and this movie did that with aplomb, as it never stopped questioning I was blown away by the way this movie was conceived and realized. The best movies about the future are really movies that look at the present and where we're heading, and this movie did that with aplomb, as it never stopped questioning the relationships between robots and humanity, and the "rights" of the AI. Meanwhile, within all this, was a very touching and exciting movie. I still give Speilberg more credit for this movie than Kubrick, and think that Speilberg kept in a superb mix of dark and light, making this movie as captivating as it was. Expand
NickHOct 7, 2005
Very much an imperfect movie, but it's one that doesn't leave you disappointed. The driving force behind this movie - which is, of course, Kubrick's genius - shines through the muck of a flawed production. Kubrick's dark, Very much an imperfect movie, but it's one that doesn't leave you disappointed. The driving force behind this movie - which is, of course, Kubrick's genius - shines through the muck of a flawed production. Kubrick's dark, dreary nature has sadly been exchanged for a lighter tone, "Speilberg-ian happiness" if you will. Yes Kubrick wrote it, but it seems to be delivered to us in a family friendly nature, one with a thick coating of joy smeared across the original sadness. One has to wonder, if Kubrick were still alive would this movie be darker, creepier, more unusual and even more logical? Would he have made it completely his own or would he have worked in unison with Speilberg? We'll never know, but in the meantime, watch this movie again. Give it another chance. RATING: *** / **** Expand
BobS.Aug 30, 2005
As stiff and robotic as its own characters. The ending renders the entire movie not just pointless, but a complete waste of time. I would have rather spent my two hours in line at the DMV than watching this enigma.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
SimonH.Jun 9, 2003
Although the theme of the movie coukld've spwaned a great movie. The movie harshly kills any interest it has. At the start, the movie seems to head somewhere, but after less than half, A.I. loooses its track. The spectator is made to Although the theme of the movie coukld've spwaned a great movie. The movie harshly kills any interest it has. At the start, the movie seems to head somewhere, but after less than half, A.I. loooses its track. The spectator is made to watch a pointless quest, where one already knows the end. The whole thing goes on for two long. It keeps insiting on a hope that doesn't exist. There are various unnessessary scenes which contradict the idea that has been conditioned to you from the start, so in the end, you have a meaningles movie whose ideas do not make sense. Suddenly, science fiction turns into stupidity when ... [spoiler omitted]. In a last though, the movie is sick trying to make one feel sorry about robots. Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful
DaleM.Jul 31, 2001
Dissatisfied with the ending. Very Kubricesque!