6.3

1. Feb 11, 2013
    There has been many topics on various forums debating whether this movie is a good one or not. I think it is! Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Kubrick explored the the possible consequences of humans creating robots, that mainly serve our different needs and desires (child like robots, prostitute or service robots...). We can see this future world through the eyes of a child robot named David, whoThere has been many topics on various forums debating whether this movie is a good one or not. I think it is! Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Kubrick explored the the possible consequences of humans creating robots, that mainly serve our different needs and desires (child like robots, prostitute or service robots...). We can see this future world through the eyes of a child robot named David, who wants to become "real" so that he can regain the love of his human "mother". This is where things get interesting, Many ethical questions arise: What does it mean to be "real" or alive? Does a robot has real feelings, soul, thoughts of his own? How do humans approach these artificial beings. Are they even beings or just objects? I think the director explored these ideas quiet well. The cinematography, and acting is really good. The future world is well thought out, Definitely worth a look, because sooner or later we need to face these questions in reality! Expand
  2. DorenF.
    Oct 4, 2001
    Absolutely brilliant moviemaking. The people who aren't GETTING IT are most often the EXPLOSIONS/SPECIAL EFFECTS crowd. A.I. requires not only an intellect, but emotional intelligence as well. Let me save you some time- if you liked ARMAGEDDON, don't see A.I.
  3. DenisB.
    Nov 30, 2002
    A hauntingly beautiful & reverential modern depiction of Pinnochio. Life is precious.
  4. JAnderton-M.
    Sep 6, 2003
    Horrible, just Horrible. If you want to watch a real director do justice to a P Dick like story watch vanilla sky.
    Jun 18, 2002
    This movie had absolutely no point, and was boring to the point of tears. I can't believe how bad this movie was. A story that started slowly, and followed a jumbled path which led to absolutely nothing.
  6. Mar 2, 2012
    Brilliant movie. Kubrick's mind was a special place. And to have Speilberg finish his last project after death, is the combination of two of the most gifted visionaries in cinema. A futuristic tale of a robot boy programmed to love, seeks love and the "blue fairy," that will make him a real live boy.
  7. Feb 19, 2011
    One of the best films I have ever seen. They could have cut the end back but what fantastic acting and thoughtful plots... I can't understand why someone
  8. SakqazA.
    Jul 6, 2005
    Heartless, pointless, pretentious, boring and never ending a film with no purpose, story or merit.
  9. BobS.
    Aug 30, 2005
    As stiff and robotic as its own characters. The ending renders the entire movie not just pointless, but a complete waste of time. I would have rather spent my two hours in line at the DMV than watching this enigma.
  10. J.R.
    Dec 20, 2002
    This is one of those shallow films--ultimately convinced of its own importance, believing itself to be good because it looks good. It exhibits uneven acting, uneven plot, inconsistent, and fully forty minutes longer than it ought to have been. Instead of being uplifting, it comes across as misanthropic and gratuitously violent.
  11. SimonH.
    Jun 9, 2003
    Although the theme of the movie coukld've spwaned a great movie. The movie harshly kills any interest it has. At the start, the movie seems to head somewhere, but after less than half, A.I. loooses its track. The spectator is made to watch a pointless quest, where one already knows the end. The whole thing goes on for two long. It keeps insiting on a hope that doesn't exist. Although the theme of the movie coukld've spwaned a great movie. The movie harshly kills any interest it has. At the start, the movie seems to head somewhere, but after less than half, A.I. loooses its track. The spectator is made to watch a pointless quest, where one already knows the end. The whole thing goes on for two long. It keeps insiting on a hope that doesn't exist. There are various unnessessary scenes which contradict the idea that has been conditioned to you from the start, so in the end, you have a meaningles movie whose ideas do not make sense. Suddenly, science fiction turns into stupidity when ... [spoiler omitted]. In a last though, the movie is sick trying to make one feel sorry about robots. Expand
  12. AaronR.
    Aug 6, 2001
    A joke of a movie. If put together by anyone else besides Kubrick and Spielberg it never would have made it to the showcase film on "Wayne's World." The ending was laughable. What a waste of money (mine and the move studio). Can I have my $7.50 back please?
  13. EdwardR.
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was very young when I watched this film. I don't remember it very well, which makes me happy. I remember that I didn't care about any of the characters, how self-indulgent the film was, and most of all how the film went on, and on, and on, and on. And then on some more. I actually started crying because I was really desperate for the film to end (not because of the I was very young when I watched this film. I don't remember it very well, which makes me happy. I remember that I didn't care about any of the characters, how self-indulgent the film was, and most of all how the film went on, and on, and on, and on. And then on some more. I actually started crying because I was really desperate for the film to end (not because of the 'emotion' of the film, but because I was bored) around where [massive spoiler] the aliens turn up and bring the robot's mother back for a moment or too. Well, I was in tears, shame about my reasons. I gave it a one rather than a zero because there is some good ideas and passable acting, but really, I *hated* this film. It should be locked in a cupboard so it can make love to itself in peace. (I should point out that being a small child at the time, I may not of had the best perspective on the film, though I stand by my opinion stubbornly, because I was a pretty smart kid). Expand
  14. S.Gold
    Dec 21, 2005
    This movie is a bad creepy, boring, overlong, pointless, and weird among other things avoid if you can. Spielberg's worst!
  15. Jan 5, 2011
    I thought it was a very strange film. I saw it when I was very young and I feel like someone was just trying to make another version of ET. It did however tug on the heart strings a bunch. But the end was just weird.
  16. Nov 18, 2012
    Artificial Intelligence is a miscalculation, and we can probably attribute that because it was Stanley Kubrick's unfinished vision.
  17. JCFrancois
    Apr 7, 2002
    Pinocchio meets Dr. Frankenstein in an futuristic excess of cheap sentimentalism that Spielberg didn't even have the decency to keep short.
  18. Tom
    Mar 6, 2005
    BTW The film was NOT created by Spielberg. It was conceived and written by Stanley Kubrick before he died...Spielberg merely took it up.
  19. ChrisM.
    Jan 3, 2002
    Extraordinary. One of the best science fiction films ever made. Full of haunting images, from the "flesh fair" and "Rouge City" to "Manhattan" and beyond. Check back in about ten years, when the majority of film "scholars" will be hailing this masterpiece as the classic it already is.
  20. JordyN.
    Apr 19, 2002
    The best film I've ever seen.
  21. LisaH.
    Sep 3, 2004
    Very gd film - im only 14 n i understood it fine. I found it a very sad film, but enjoyable 2 watch. suggect you see it if you havent already.
  22. G.M.D.K.
    Jun 4, 2005
    A.I. manges to do something that movies now adays dont: It absorbs us into a world of sheer fantasy,mixed with realistic human emotions. Even for the robotic kid.
  23. JustinM.
    Nov 5, 2001
    The one film ever to stir me emotionally in years. This movie is well concieved, and displays parts of humanity that strike all too familiar tones in modern life.
  24. J.ManuelO.
    Oct 6, 2001
    The very best picture since "Dancer in the Dark." I think in the future, A.I. will be a classic movie, like Kubrick's "2001". The story, the direction, the photography, the music and the interpretation of all actors and actress are excellent.
  25. AnnaB.
    Jul 5, 2001
    Brillient!!!!!
  26. JeffD.
    Apr 20, 2002
    This movie had great potiental, but went nowhere with it. The actors' performances were good, but the plot was lacking. After the first hour the movie became a chore to watch.
  27. MarcK.
    Apr 6, 2002
    Didn't think anyone could do justice to the "Kubrick style", but Spielberg certainly did. The problem, as one noted earlier on this board, is that filmgoers were expecting another "ET." When they found out it wasn't that, people stayed away in droves. But, as my rating shows, I very much liked it.
  28. EliA.
    Apr 9, 2002
    This is the kind of movie that is so different, so unhollywood if you guys will, that sets it apart from the others by a mile away. It didn't surprise me to know that it shocked some people. It not only made me feel and rationalize like if I was in that kid's shoes, but also feel pain. GOOD MOVIE.
  29. SteveM.
    May 26, 2002
    The beginning of the film is very good. Kubrick displays well his typical darkness. However, the movie degenerates into outlandish sentimentality at the end. I am told Spielberg added this part to the film. Shame on him.
  30. RupertM.
    May 6, 2002
    This is a bit too Spielbergy for me (a tad melodramatic), but the acting is superb and if viewed as an allegory, works well.

What we're left with -- Kubrick or no -- is a muddled, messy disaster of a film, something that seems more like a drastically edited miniseries, cut down to incomprehensible levels with whole sections missing.
  2. Pure magic, a three-act movie fantasy that transports us -- as the best films do -- to a world of its own, a place of ambiguous joy and delirious terror.
  3. Audiences may find that the deliberate, Kubrickesque pacing -- without his intellectual rigor -- causes them to tune out.