6.3

1. Feb 11, 2013
    There has been many topics on various forums debating whether this movie is a good one or not. I think it is! Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Kubrick explored the the possible consequences of humans creating robots, that mainly serve our different needs and desires (child like robots, prostitute or service robots...). We can see this future world through the eyes of a child robot named David, whoThere has been many topics on various forums debating whether this movie is a good one or not. I think it is! Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Kubrick explored the the possible consequences of humans creating robots, that mainly serve our different needs and desires (child like robots, prostitute or service robots...). We can see this future world through the eyes of a child robot named David, who wants to become "real" so that he can regain the love of his human "mother". This is where things get interesting, Many ethical questions arise: What does it mean to be "real" or alive? Does a robot has real feelings, soul, thoughts of his own? How do humans approach these artificial beings. Are they even beings or just objects? I think the director explored these ideas quiet well. The cinematography, and acting is really good. The future world is well thought out, Definitely worth a look, because sooner or later we need to face these questions in reality! Expand
  2. DorenF.
    Oct 4, 2001
    Absolutely brilliant moviemaking. The people who aren't GETTING IT are most often the EXPLOSIONS/SPECIAL EFFECTS crowd. A.I. requires not only an intellect, but emotional intelligence as well. Let me save you some time- if you liked ARMAGEDDON, don't see A.I.
  3. DenisB.
    Nov 30, 2002
    A hauntingly beautiful & reverential modern depiction of Pinnochio. Life is precious.
  4. Mar 2, 2012
    Brilliant movie. Kubrick's mind was a special place. And to have Speilberg finish his last project after death, is the combination of two of the most gifted visionaries in cinema. A futuristic tale of a robot boy programmed to love, seeks love and the "blue fairy," that will make him a real live boy.
  5. Feb 19, 2011
    One of the best films I have ever seen. They could have cut the end back but what fantastic acting and thoughtful plots... I can't understand why someone
  6. Tom
    Mar 6, 2005
    BTW The film was NOT created by Spielberg. It was conceived and written by Stanley Kubrick before he died...Spielberg merely took it up.
  7. ChrisM.
    Jan 3, 2002
    Extraordinary. One of the best science fiction films ever made. Full of haunting images, from the "flesh fair" and "Rouge City" to "Manhattan" and beyond. Check back in about ten years, when the majority of film "scholars" will be hailing this masterpiece as the classic it already is.
  8. JordyN.
    Apr 19, 2002
    The best film I've ever seen.
  9. LisaH.
    Sep 3, 2004
    Very gd film - im only 14 n i understood it fine. I found it a very sad film, but enjoyable 2 watch. suggect you see it if you havent already.
  10. G.M.D.K.
    Jun 4, 2005
    A.I. manges to do something that movies now adays dont: It absorbs us into a world of sheer fantasy,mixed with realistic human emotions. Even for the robotic kid.
  11. JustinM.
    Nov 5, 2001
    The one film ever to stir me emotionally in years. This movie is well concieved, and displays parts of humanity that strike all too familiar tones in modern life.
  12. J.ManuelO.
    Oct 6, 2001
    The very best picture since "Dancer in the Dark." I think in the future, A.I. will be a classic movie, like Kubrick's "2001". The story, the direction, the photography, the music and the interpretation of all actors and actress are excellent.
  13. MarcK.
    Apr 6, 2002
    Didn't think anyone could do justice to the "Kubrick style", but Spielberg certainly did. The problem, as one noted earlier on this board, is that filmgoers were expecting another "ET." When they found out it wasn't that, people stayed away in droves. But, as my rating shows, I very much liked it.
  14. EliA.
    Apr 9, 2002
    This is the kind of movie that is so different, so unhollywood if you guys will, that sets it apart from the others by a mile away. It didn't surprise me to know that it shocked some people. It not only made me feel and rationalize like if I was in that kid's shoes, but also feel pain. GOOD MOVIE.
  15. RupertM.
    May 6, 2002
    This is a bit too Spielbergy for me (a tad melodramatic), but the acting is superb and if viewed as an allegory, works well.
  16. DamienS.
    Jul 10, 2002
    YOU IDIOTS! the "aliens" at the end of the movie were highly advanced mechas, if you actually paid attention to the movie. Ok, now that I got that off my back, this movie was a beautiful and moving cinematic experience. The photography was amazing, the acting was superb, and the effects topped any of the films that were against it in 2001. Kudos to Spielberg, it's trendy not to like YOU IDIOTS! the "aliens" at the end of the movie were highly advanced mechas, if you actually paid attention to the movie. Ok, now that I got that off my back, this movie was a beautiful and moving cinematic experience. The photography was amazing, the acting was superb, and the effects topped any of the films that were against it in 2001. Kudos to Spielberg, it's trendy not to like his movies now anyway. And "BLAH" to all you cynical and nihilistic people that prefer style over substance. Expand
  17. FrankR.
    Apr 19, 2003
    Excellent film. As far as Sci-Fi films go, this one has that same aura that 2001 has. Its slow paced and full of beautiful visuals. It is simplistically sentimental in that Spielberg kind of way but paradoxically is what makes the film beautiful.
  18. DaveC.
    Aug 2, 2003
    As disappointing as it is that Spielberg made this film a no brainer and added a wince inducing speech by the narrator at the end, the arresting style of the film would have made Kubrick proud and though acting like a robot could easily have been done by a lot of other people in Hollywood (namely Keanu Reeves and Arnold Schwartzenegger manage to pull it off in everything they appear in) As disappointing as it is that Spielberg made this film a no brainer and added a wince inducing speech by the narrator at the end, the arresting style of the film would have made Kubrick proud and though acting like a robot could easily have been done by a lot of other people in Hollywood (namely Keanu Reeves and Arnold Schwartzenegger manage to pull it off in everything they appear in) only brilliant actors such as Haley Joel Osmond and co-star Jude Law could have pulled it off with such panache. This is not a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination but its otherworldly feel makes it difficult to believe that this project by Stanley Kubrick underwent its production posthumously with only Spielberg in the directors chair. Give it a go. Sci-fi fans in particular will love it. Expand
  19. MikeN.
    Aug 9, 2003
    I did not like this at all the first time I saw it. But it remains much more memorable and beautiful than almost any new film I have seen since. It is certainly slow. And it requires an certain suspension of logic. But it has a truly haunting quality that makes it worth seeing.
  20. ChrisR.
    Feb 9, 2004
    Misunderstood classic which will stand the test of time, like 2001 and Blade Runner before it.
  21. BenA.
    Mar 14, 2004
    Very good movie. Much better the second time, actually.
  22. DanW
    Sep 22, 2004
    [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] A perfect example of a minority film that is obviously directed at people who can both sympathise and understand at the same time. The performances, especially from Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law, are magnificent to behold The last 30 minutes are sublime genius the likes of which only Spielburg could create (and I cannot believe some people still won't accept [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] A perfect example of a minority film that is obviously directed at people who can both sympathise and understand at the same time. The performances, especially from Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law, are magnificent to behold The last 30 minutes are sublime genius the likes of which only Spielburg could create (and I cannot believe some people still won't accept that the robots at the end were NOT aliens.)People who are likely to not enjoy this film include (but are not limited to): those without even mediocre intelligence and those who watch Big Brother. Expand
  23. ShaneS.
    Aug 15, 2006
    I'm a bit surprised, actually, by all the negative ratings this film has gotten. I disagree, though, because this film is great with three things. [***SPOILERS***] It pushes the imagination in a very uncomfortable way. That is, it actually distorts the modern happy ending and hands it an undertone of depressing creepiness, and it does it for a good reason. It speaks volumes of I'm a bit surprised, actually, by all the negative ratings this film has gotten. I disagree, though, because this film is great with three things. [***SPOILERS***] It pushes the imagination in a very uncomfortable way. That is, it actually distorts the modern happy ending and hands it an undertone of depressing creepiness, and it does it for a good reason. It speaks volumes of whether or not love is an exclusively human thing. And lastly, it's a subtle examination of modern evolutionary theory, expecting in its efforts to say "humans' time will eventually end on this planet." The ending scene is necessary for that reason, and without it the film would not really have a point. With these long endings, though, where the first fade-out tricks you into believing it actually ends at a certain point, people get a little angry and flabberghasted that they didn't get to leave the theatres that much earlier. Expand
  24. TM
    Jan 1, 2008
    This is one of my all time favorite films, i just don't get why the critics have a problem with it. Yes it has flaws but that has to be expected as it was made by two different people. It has a great uneasy feel about it that makes it original. I didn't see it expecting a fluffy happy ending and that is not what i got(thank kubrick). A great film.
  25. SteveF.
    Jun 8, 2008
    A Brilliant masterpiece! The Citizen Kane of science fiction.
  26. ColeL.
    Nov 22, 2001
    A deranged tale of mechs wanting to become real. This disturbing chronicle really explains what it must be like for a robot, who feels unwanted and not real. This time Kubrick and Speilberg did a brillant job and the movie is a exceptional masterpiece.
  27. RyanM.
    Oct 18, 2001
    Great, brilliant, influental film of visul magic and performances from the heavens.
  28. EnricoB.
    Oct 27, 2001
    Remarkable achievement, surely misunderstood by many. A modern interpretation of Pinocchio story.
  29. DaleM.
    Jul 31, 2001
    Dissatisfied with the ending. Very Kubricesque!
  30. FrankV.
    Aug 30, 2001
    Brilliant movie with a lot of unexpected surprises!

What we're left with -- Kubrick or no -- is a muddled, messy disaster of a film, something that seems more like a drastically edited miniseries, cut down to incomprehensible levels with whole sections missing.
  2. Pure magic, a three-act movie fantasy that transports us -- as the best films do -- to a world of its own, a place of ambiguous joy and delirious terror.
  3. Audiences may find that the deliberate, Kubrickesque pacing -- without his intellectual rigor -- causes them to tune out.