6.3

1. Feb 11, 2013
    There has been many topics on various forums debating whether this movie is a good one or not. I think it is! Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Kubrick explored the the possible consequences of humans creating robots, that mainly serve our different needs and desires (child like robots, prostitute or service robots...). We can see this future world through the eyes of a child robot named David, whoThere has been many topics on various forums debating whether this movie is a good one or not. I think it is! Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Kubrick explored the the possible consequences of humans creating robots, that mainly serve our different needs and desires (child like robots, prostitute or service robots...). We can see this future world through the eyes of a child robot named David, who wants to become "real" so that he can regain the love of his human "mother". This is where things get interesting, Many ethical questions arise: What does it mean to be "real" or alive? Does a robot has real feelings, soul, thoughts of his own? How do humans approach these artificial beings. Are they even beings or just objects? I think the director explored these ideas quiet well. The cinematography, and acting is really good. The future world is well thought out, Definitely worth a look, because sooner or later we need to face these questions in reality! Expand
  2. DorenF.
    Oct 4, 2001
    Absolutely brilliant moviemaking. The people who aren't GETTING IT are most often the EXPLOSIONS/SPECIAL EFFECTS crowd. A.I. requires not only an intellect, but emotional intelligence as well. Let me save you some time- if you liked ARMAGEDDON, don't see A.I.
  3. DenisB.
    Nov 30, 2002
    A hauntingly beautiful & reverential modern depiction of Pinnochio. Life is precious.
  4. JAnderton-M.
    Sep 6, 2003
    Horrible, just Horrible. If you want to watch a real director do justice to a P Dick like story watch vanilla sky.
    Jun 18, 2002
    This movie had absolutely no point, and was boring to the point of tears. I can't believe how bad this movie was. A story that started slowly, and followed a jumbled path which led to absolutely nothing.
  6. Mar 2, 2012
    Brilliant movie. Kubrick's mind was a special place. And to have Speilberg finish his last project after death, is the combination of two of the most gifted visionaries in cinema. A futuristic tale of a robot boy programmed to love, seeks love and the "blue fairy," that will make him a real live boy.
  7. Feb 19, 2011
    One of the best films I have ever seen. They could have cut the end back but what fantastic acting and thoughtful plots... I can't understand why someone
  8. SakqazA.
    Jul 6, 2005
    Heartless, pointless, pretentious, boring and never ending a film with no purpose, story or merit.
  9. BobS.
    Aug 30, 2005
    As stiff and robotic as its own characters. The ending renders the entire movie not just pointless, but a complete waste of time. I would have rather spent my two hours in line at the DMV than watching this enigma.
  10. J.R.
    Dec 20, 2002
    This is one of those shallow films--ultimately convinced of its own importance, believing itself to be good because it looks good. It exhibits uneven acting, uneven plot, inconsistent, and fully forty minutes longer than it ought to have been. Instead of being uplifting, it comes across as misanthropic and gratuitously violent.
  11. SimonH.
    Jun 9, 2003
    Although the theme of the movie coukld've spwaned a great movie. The movie harshly kills any interest it has. At the start, the movie seems to head somewhere, but after less than half, A.I. loooses its track. The spectator is made to watch a pointless quest, where one already knows the end. The whole thing goes on for two long. It keeps insiting on a hope that doesn't exist. Although the theme of the movie coukld've spwaned a great movie. The movie harshly kills any interest it has. At the start, the movie seems to head somewhere, but after less than half, A.I. loooses its track. The spectator is made to watch a pointless quest, where one already knows the end. The whole thing goes on for two long. It keeps insiting on a hope that doesn't exist. There are various unnessessary scenes which contradict the idea that has been conditioned to you from the start, so in the end, you have a meaningles movie whose ideas do not make sense. Suddenly, science fiction turns into stupidity when ... [spoiler omitted]. In a last though, the movie is sick trying to make one feel sorry about robots. Expand
  12. AaronR.
    Aug 6, 2001
    A joke of a movie. If put together by anyone else besides Kubrick and Spielberg it never would have made it to the showcase film on "Wayne's World." The ending was laughable. What a waste of money (mine and the move studio). Can I have my $7.50 back please?
  13. EdwardR.
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was very young when I watched this film. I don't remember it very well, which makes me happy. I remember that I didn't care about any of the characters, how self-indulgent the film was, and most of all how the film went on, and on, and on, and on. And then on some more. I actually started crying because I was really desperate for the film to end (not because of the I was very young when I watched this film. I don't remember it very well, which makes me happy. I remember that I didn't care about any of the characters, how self-indulgent the film was, and most of all how the film went on, and on, and on, and on. And then on some more. I actually started crying because I was really desperate for the film to end (not because of the 'emotion' of the film, but because I was bored) around where [massive spoiler] the aliens turn up and bring the robot's mother back for a moment or too. Well, I was in tears, shame about my reasons. I gave it a one rather than a zero because there is some good ideas and passable acting, but really, I *hated* this film. It should be locked in a cupboard so it can make love to itself in peace. (I should point out that being a small child at the time, I may not of had the best perspective on the film, though I stand by my opinion stubbornly, because I was a pretty smart kid). Expand
  14. S.Gold
    Dec 21, 2005
    This movie is a bad creepy, boring, overlong, pointless, and weird among other things avoid if you can. Spielberg's worst!
  15. Jan 5, 2011
    I thought it was a very strange film. I saw it when I was very young and I feel like someone was just trying to make another version of ET. It did however tug on the heart strings a bunch. But the end was just weird.
  16. Nov 18, 2012
    Artificial Intelligence is a miscalculation, and we can probably attribute that because it was Stanley Kubrick's unfinished vision.
  17. JCFrancois
    Apr 7, 2002
    Pinocchio meets Dr. Frankenstein in an futuristic excess of cheap sentimentalism that Spielberg didn't even have the decency to keep short.
  18. Tom
    Mar 6, 2005
    BTW The film was NOT created by Spielberg. It was conceived and written by Stanley Kubrick before he died...Spielberg merely took it up.
  19. ChrisM.
    Jan 3, 2002
    Extraordinary. One of the best science fiction films ever made. Full of haunting images, from the "flesh fair" and "Rouge City" to "Manhattan" and beyond. Check back in about ten years, when the majority of film "scholars" will be hailing this masterpiece as the classic it already is.
  20. JordyN.
    Apr 19, 2002
    The best film I've ever seen.
  21. LisaH.
    Sep 3, 2004
    Very gd film - im only 14 n i understood it fine. I found it a very sad film, but enjoyable 2 watch. suggect you see it if you havent already.
  22. G.M.D.K.
    Jun 4, 2005
    A.I. manges to do something that movies now adays dont: It absorbs us into a world of sheer fantasy,mixed with realistic human emotions. Even for the robotic kid.
  23. JustinM.
    Nov 5, 2001
    The one film ever to stir me emotionally in years. This movie is well concieved, and displays parts of humanity that strike all too familiar tones in modern life.
  24. J.ManuelO.
    Oct 6, 2001
    The very best picture since "Dancer in the Dark." I think in the future, A.I. will be a classic movie, like Kubrick's "2001". The story, the direction, the photography, the music and the interpretation of all actors and actress are excellent.
  25. AnnaB.
    Jul 5, 2001
    Brillient!!!!!
  26. JeffD.
    Apr 20, 2002
    This movie had great potiental, but went nowhere with it. The actors' performances were good, but the plot was lacking. After the first hour the movie became a chore to watch.
  27. MarcK.
    Apr 6, 2002
    Didn't think anyone could do justice to the "Kubrick style", but Spielberg certainly did. The problem, as one noted earlier on this board, is that filmgoers were expecting another "ET." When they found out it wasn't that, people stayed away in droves. But, as my rating shows, I very much liked it.
  28. EliA.
    Apr 9, 2002
    This is the kind of movie that is so different, so unhollywood if you guys will, that sets it apart from the others by a mile away. It didn't surprise me to know that it shocked some people. It not only made me feel and rationalize like if I was in that kid's shoes, but also feel pain. GOOD MOVIE.
  29. SteveM.
    May 26, 2002
    The beginning of the film is very good. Kubrick displays well his typical darkness. However, the movie degenerates into outlandish sentimentality at the end. I am told Spielberg added this part to the film. Shame on him.
  30. RupertM.
    May 6, 2002
    This is a bit too Spielbergy for me (a tad melodramatic), but the acting is superb and if viewed as an allegory, works well.
  31. DamienS.
    Jul 10, 2002
    YOU IDIOTS! the "aliens" at the end of the movie were highly advanced mechas, if you actually paid attention to the movie. Ok, now that I got that off my back, this movie was a beautiful and moving cinematic experience. The photography was amazing, the acting was superb, and the effects topped any of the films that were against it in 2001. Kudos to Spielberg, it's trendy not to like YOU IDIOTS! the "aliens" at the end of the movie were highly advanced mechas, if you actually paid attention to the movie. Ok, now that I got that off my back, this movie was a beautiful and moving cinematic experience. The photography was amazing, the acting was superb, and the effects topped any of the films that were against it in 2001. Kudos to Spielberg, it's trendy not to like his movies now anyway. And "BLAH" to all you cynical and nihilistic people that prefer style over substance. Expand
  32. RobertD.
    Jul 1, 2002
    I gave it a "one", only b/c it was successful at sucking in a major crowd! - now that deserves at least one point.
  33. RusB.
    Jul 9, 2002
    Spielberg doing Kubrik is like Tarantino doing Spielberg. It was like watching a two hour long twilight zone episode that i felt i had seen before.
  34. MichaelE.
    Aug 16, 2002
    One of my three most painful memories of 2001, along with Planet of the Apes and dental surgery. This beats both.
  35. Bayleef14
    Aug 20, 2002
    Steven Spielberg's biggest misstep since "Hook". It has a great cast, great screenwriters, and a great director. It even had a decent story. But when you sit for so long during a movie you expect it to pay off. For "A.I." there is no payoff, just a hokey, sappy ending that really never solves anything. I believe that somewhere in this movie a good story could be told and made into a Steven Spielberg's biggest misstep since "Hook". It has a great cast, great screenwriters, and a great director. It even had a decent story. But when you sit for so long during a movie you expect it to pay off. For "A.I." there is no payoff, just a hokey, sappy ending that really never solves anything. I believe that somewhere in this movie a good story could be told and made into a better movie with a more pleasing ending. But for now all we have is this. Go see "Minority Report", a movie that satisfies much more than this. Expand
  36. AadhaarV.
    Feb 8, 2003
    It is quite strange, you dont know where it is quite going but you're gripped till the end. The main problem it is very long and one tends to get bored. In all "Weird but Good."
  37. FrankR.
    Apr 19, 2003
    Excellent film. As far as Sci-Fi films go, this one has that same aura that 2001 has. Its slow paced and full of beautiful visuals. It is simplistically sentimental in that Spielberg kind of way but paradoxically is what makes the film beautiful.
  38. DaveC.
    Aug 2, 2003
    As disappointing as it is that Spielberg made this film a no brainer and added a wince inducing speech by the narrator at the end, the arresting style of the film would have made Kubrick proud and though acting like a robot could easily have been done by a lot of other people in Hollywood (namely Keanu Reeves and Arnold Schwartzenegger manage to pull it off in everything they appear in) As disappointing as it is that Spielberg made this film a no brainer and added a wince inducing speech by the narrator at the end, the arresting style of the film would have made Kubrick proud and though acting like a robot could easily have been done by a lot of other people in Hollywood (namely Keanu Reeves and Arnold Schwartzenegger manage to pull it off in everything they appear in) only brilliant actors such as Haley Joel Osmond and co-star Jude Law could have pulled it off with such panache. This is not a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination but its otherworldly feel makes it difficult to believe that this project by Stanley Kubrick underwent its production posthumously with only Spielberg in the directors chair. Give it a go. Sci-fi fans in particular will love it. Expand
  39. MikeN.
    Aug 9, 2003
    I did not like this at all the first time I saw it. But it remains much more memorable and beautiful than almost any new film I have seen since. It is certainly slow. And it requires an certain suspension of logic. But it has a truly haunting quality that makes it worth seeing.
  40. ChrisR.
    Feb 9, 2004
    Misunderstood classic which will stand the test of time, like 2001 and Blade Runner before it.
  41. BenA.
    Mar 14, 2004
    Very good movie. Much better the second time, actually.
  42. DanW
    Sep 22, 2004
    [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] A perfect example of a minority film that is obviously directed at people who can both sympathise and understand at the same time. The performances, especially from Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law, are magnificent to behold The last 30 minutes are sublime genius the likes of which only Spielburg could create (and I cannot believe some people still won't accept [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] A perfect example of a minority film that is obviously directed at people who can both sympathise and understand at the same time. The performances, especially from Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law, are magnificent to behold The last 30 minutes are sublime genius the likes of which only Spielburg could create (and I cannot believe some people still won't accept that the robots at the end were NOT aliens.)People who are likely to not enjoy this film include (but are not limited to): those without even mediocre intelligence and those who watch Big Brother. Expand
  43. ShaneS.
    Aug 15, 2006
    I'm a bit surprised, actually, by all the negative ratings this film has gotten. I disagree, though, because this film is great with three things. [***SPOILERS***] It pushes the imagination in a very uncomfortable way. That is, it actually distorts the modern happy ending and hands it an undertone of depressing creepiness, and it does it for a good reason. It speaks volumes of I'm a bit surprised, actually, by all the negative ratings this film has gotten. I disagree, though, because this film is great with three things. [***SPOILERS***] It pushes the imagination in a very uncomfortable way. That is, it actually distorts the modern happy ending and hands it an undertone of depressing creepiness, and it does it for a good reason. It speaks volumes of whether or not love is an exclusively human thing. And lastly, it's a subtle examination of modern evolutionary theory, expecting in its efforts to say "humans' time will eventually end on this planet." The ending scene is necessary for that reason, and without it the film would not really have a point. With these long endings, though, where the first fade-out tricks you into believing it actually ends at a certain point, people get a little angry and flabberghasted that they didn't get to leave the theatres that much earlier. Expand
  44. TM
    Jan 1, 2008
    This is one of my all time favorite films, i just don't get why the critics have a problem with it. Yes it has flaws but that has to be expected as it was made by two different people. It has a great uneasy feel about it that makes it original. I didn't see it expecting a fluffy happy ending and that is not what i got(thank kubrick). A great film.
  45. SteveF.
    Jun 8, 2008
    A Brilliant masterpiece! The Citizen Kane of science fiction.
  46. ColeL.
    Nov 22, 2001
    A deranged tale of mechs wanting to become real. This disturbing chronicle really explains what it must be like for a robot, who feels unwanted and not real. This time Kubrick and Speilberg did a brillant job and the movie is a exceptional masterpiece.
  47. RyanM.
    Oct 18, 2001
    Great, brilliant, influental film of visul magic and performances from the heavens.
  48. EnricoB.
    Oct 27, 2001
    Remarkable achievement, surely misunderstood by many. A modern interpretation of Pinocchio story.
  49. AndyS.
    Jul 25, 2001
    Laughably bad. Unlike the typical Spielberg exercise in mediocrity, this movie fails to rise even once above the director's heavy handed sentimentalizing triteness. If not for heroic but doomed efforts from Osment and Law, we might finally have found a suitable companion piece for "Plan 9 From Outer Space."
  50. JasonM.
    Jul 28, 2001
    Absolutely shameful. Anyone who likes this film doesn't know shallow from shinola and can scarcely be considered as having a brain.
  51. DaleM.
    Jul 31, 2001
    Dissatisfied with the ending. Very Kubricesque!
  52. BobH.
    Aug 19, 2001
    Spectacular yet boring drivel. The audience at Graumann's here in Hollywood was bored; many walked out after the first two hours. Stylistically, the film's direction seems all Spielberg, and that's not so great here. For where Kubrick filled his frames with nuances left for the viewer to discover, rewarding attention and repeated viewings, Spielberg prefers not to trust his Spectacular yet boring drivel. The audience at Graumann's here in Hollywood was bored; many walked out after the first two hours. Stylistically, the film's direction seems all Spielberg, and that's not so great here. For where Kubrick filled his frames with nuances left for the viewer to discover, rewarding attention and repeated viewings, Spielberg prefers not to trust his viewers, instead thrusting what he wants us to see into center frame. This is hardly as rewarding, although most of Spielberg's films are such ripping yarns that this style is entirely appropriate to keep pace with the story. But not here. For all its splendor, the movie has little new to say about the nature of love other than the sheer unique creepiness of treating infantile narcissism as equivalent to genuine love -- whose ultimate validation, even at great cost to the object of the alleged love, is treated as some sort of satisfying, happy ending. Ewwwwwww. Finally, is it possible for Hollywood to make a boy-who-won't-grow-up movie that *doesn't* include Robin Williams (who appears here in voice-over)? Bicentennial Man, Jack, Toys, Hook, Jumanji... Expand
  53. FrankV.
    Aug 30, 2001
    Brilliant movie with a lot of unexpected surprises!
  54. NedD.
    Sep 13, 2001
    Audacious, awe-inspiring, intelligent, thought-provoking, but ultimately imperfect. The ideas themselves are morally challenging and important, the conceptualization of those ideas, however, is sometimes clunky and heavy-handed. Still definitely worthwhile.
  55. Gilbert
    Nov 20, 2002
    Good God, how many stools can one film fall between? This is a mess. A total mess. What Steven was thinking in writing the screenplay himself I don't know. Didn't Kubrick have anything? Oh BOY is this a mess. ...and yet...and yet. An intriguing one. Soppy and sentimental? Oy, is it ever. But oddly moving, at some points - the Flesh Fair had me in some vague tears. And Teddy is Good God, how many stools can one film fall between? This is a mess. A total mess. What Steven was thinking in writing the screenplay himself I don't know. Didn't Kubrick have anything? Oh BOY is this a mess. ...and yet...and yet. An intriguing one. Soppy and sentimental? Oy, is it ever. But oddly moving, at some points - the Flesh Fair had me in some vague tears. And Teddy is just THE greatest creation! It's not fair to say I liked this movie - I'd be surprised if anyone did, it's so muddled - but I respect it. Do try to see it...but be careful out there. Expand
  56. MichaelS.
    Oct 9, 2002
    Spielberg is one of the best movie makers ever! He just reviewed our opinion after some 'blown up' movies (Jurrasic Park etc.) But this time he just give us a dark peep into the future. His dreams and believings are so beautiful. Only after 2 hours it's to much. That's the only thing. But I think Spielberg is realising he has to bring more quality and yes, he's Spielberg is one of the best movie makers ever! He just reviewed our opinion after some 'blown up' movies (Jurrasic Park etc.) But this time he just give us a dark peep into the future. His dreams and believings are so beautiful. Only after 2 hours it's to much. That's the only thing. But I think Spielberg is realising he has to bring more quality and yes, he's done it with this masterpiece! Expand
  57. JohnM.
    Feb 10, 2002
    Visually pummelling images and a completely-contrived sense of emotion prevent this film from being anything noteworthy. A mess. Grade: D
  58. IrvinC.
    Feb 18, 2002
    This is Spielberg's misunderstood masterpiece. An instant, underrated classic of epic proportions. Haley Joel Osment deserves an Oscar.
  59. LucindaS.
    Mar 12, 2002
    This movie was just wrong. I actually walked out of the theater with a headache. It should have ended half way through the movie. It sucked.
  60. DavidA.
    Mar 17, 2002
    Absolutely brilliant. Of course Spielberg did not address every big issue involved in 2.5 hours, who could? The people who are attacking this film are shallow and expected another cute ET featuring loveable, throwaway robots.
  61. KeithB.
    Apr 20, 2002
    A truly awful film. From the opening sex-role stereotypes to the absolute tediousness to the formulaic dialogue, this is a bad one for the ages.
  62. Richard
    Jul 15, 2002
    The deepest and most daring film Spielberg's done.
  63. MichaelH.
    Jul 18, 2002
    One of Spielberg's finest movies. Deeply moving, made with love and compassion, and certainly one that will grow to the stature it deserves. A true masterpiece.
  64. EricS.
    Aug 10, 2002
    A highly provocative, constantly watchable, emotionally compelling, and finely crafted film. Better than it's companion piece "Minority Report." Jude Law gives the best supporting performance by an actor of the year. Dare I say it--it's one of the best films Spielberg has ever made. Worth it's weight in gold for sure.
  65. IreneB.
    Aug 18, 2002
    Touching to its fullest.
  66. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    What was that all about? I tried to follow it for awhile, but it wore me out.
  67. YoonCho
    Sep 13, 2003
    A surprisingly rich harmonization of Kubrick's intellectuaity and Kubrick's emotional rapture, AI transcends its themes(staples of sci-fi)and becomes a profoundly moving rumination on the meaning of memory and time, of love as a lonely island, and the spiritual core of humanity that is both the source of our greatest virtues and achievements as well as the reason why we often A surprisingly rich harmonization of Kubrick's intellectuaity and Kubrick's emotional rapture, AI transcends its themes(staples of sci-fi)and becomes a profoundly moving rumination on the meaning of memory and time, of love as a lonely island, and the spiritual core of humanity that is both the source of our greatest virtues and achievements as well as the reason why we often favor delusion over truth. Here Spielberg doesn't simply manipulate our emotions but examines the very means and methods of such calculations; remarkably, the film becomes all the more powerful as the audience, like the AI child, will likely realize that we often must believe in, indeed rely on, the beautiful lie than on the naked truth for spiritual peace. AI makes us feel helpless--both as observers and victims--in relation to all the suffering and pain in the world, and demonstrates the therapeutic(and deceptive)uses of art and imagination,not to mention technology to alleviate this aspect of human condition. The central character of the AI representing both everlasting innocence and perversion of technology and intellectualism is one of the memorable in sci-fi genre. Expand
  68. MikeG.
    Dec 7, 2005
    I was blown away by the way this movie was conceived and realized. The best movies about the future are really movies that look at the present and where we're heading, and this movie did that with aplomb, as it never stopped questioning the relationships between robots and humanity, and the "rights" of the AI. Meanwhile, within all this, was a very touching and exciting movie. I I was blown away by the way this movie was conceived and realized. The best movies about the future are really movies that look at the present and where we're heading, and this movie did that with aplomb, as it never stopped questioning the relationships between robots and humanity, and the "rights" of the AI. Meanwhile, within all this, was a very touching and exciting movie. I still give Speilberg more credit for this movie than Kubrick, and think that Speilberg kept in a superb mix of dark and light, making this movie as captivating as it was. Expand
  69. NickH
    Oct 7, 2005
    Very much an imperfect movie, but it's one that doesn't leave you disappointed. The driving force behind this movie - which is, of course, Kubrick's genius - shines through the muck of a flawed production. Kubrick's dark, dreary nature has sadly been exchanged for a lighter tone, "Speilberg-ian happiness" if you will. Yes Kubrick wrote it, but it seems to be delivered Very much an imperfect movie, but it's one that doesn't leave you disappointed. The driving force behind this movie - which is, of course, Kubrick's genius - shines through the muck of a flawed production. Kubrick's dark, dreary nature has sadly been exchanged for a lighter tone, "Speilberg-ian happiness" if you will. Yes Kubrick wrote it, but it seems to be delivered to us in a family friendly nature, one with a thick coating of joy smeared across the original sadness. One has to wonder, if Kubrick were still alive would this movie be darker, creepier, more unusual and even more logical? Would he have made it completely his own or would he have worked in unison with Speilberg? We'll never know, but in the meantime, watch this movie again. Give it another chance. RATING: *** / **** Expand
  70. RichardE.
    Feb 11, 2005
    A meandering and unfocused film, with a predictable Spielberg epilog tagged on to give the audience something to feel positive about after two hours of miserable emptiness. Yuck.
  71. ManveerR.
    Feb 18, 2006
    Palin average one speilbergs half hearted efforts good visuals and not bad acting but movie dragged on way too long it was pathetic.
  72. AdrianneD.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Challenging, harrowing, brilliantly imagined. the fusion of kubrick and spielberg is often messy but the friction is what generates the interest and depth. kubric chose spielberg to direct it for all the right reasons - in a story that explores the ideas of what constitute love, longing, fear and humanity and their implications, spielberg's emotion gives depth to kubrick's intellect.
  73. SebastianL.
    Mar 16, 2009
    Discount the number. As another critic leaned, this piece is not a movie as much as a rumination; as such, it might be one of the most difficult movies of all time to judge on a quantified scale. For those who decry the ending as overly sappy, perhaps you should try analyzing it. Yes, it's a statement about the human mystery of faith and the power of love to generate (real) life; but Discount the number. As another critic leaned, this piece is not a movie as much as a rumination; as such, it might be one of the most difficult movies of all time to judge on a quantified scale. For those who decry the ending as overly sappy, perhaps you should try analyzing it. Yes, it's a statement about the human mystery of faith and the power of love to generate (real) life; but it's made in the depts of a frozen sea over two thousand years of loneliness and ice. A Slumdog Millionaire bow, this isn't. Expand
  74. JoshV
    Mar 31, 2009
    This movie is amazing and flawless the people who gave this a bad review are shallow and have no back up for their reasons, this is the most underrated movie of this decade.
  75. JoshR.
    May 1, 2009
    An underrated masterpiece from one of the greatest directors of our time.
  76. JordanK
    Aug 11, 2009
    The movie has all the grand, adventurous, frightening, intelligent, and quirky aspects you'd expect from the Kubrick-Speilberg collaboration. While its occasionally knocked for its almost act-by-act feel, the film succeeds to explore the world they created with it. Excellent and engaging, although the forced cathartic ending is forgettable at best, and somewhat takes away from the The movie has all the grand, adventurous, frightening, intelligent, and quirky aspects you'd expect from the Kubrick-Speilberg collaboration. While its occasionally knocked for its almost act-by-act feel, the film succeeds to explore the world they created with it. Excellent and engaging, although the forced cathartic ending is forgettable at best, and somewhat takes away from the experience. Expand
  77. MartinE.
    Nov 20, 2001
    Multidimensional beautiful-strange movie - just speaks with a language not everyone can understand.
  78. OlarnS.
    Dec 11, 2001
    Excruciatingly boring and way overlong, posterity will not remember this film, unlike most of Spielberg's other works. The special effects were distracting from the story the film was trying to tell, and in the end this film failed to say anything worthwhile about its central question of what really distinguish man from machine.
  79. DaleM.
    Jul 31, 2001
    Dissatisfied with the ending. Very Kubricesque!
  80. BruceN.
    Aug 13, 2001
    A somewhat disjointed, strange movie typical of Spielberg! It is another example of Spielberg's "spoiled brat" approach to making movies. If you want a nice quiet place to take a nap, go see A.I.
  81. PatriciaF.
    Aug 27, 2001
    Am I the only one that noticed this film didn't know which way to go, it was like three or four plots pasted together. My husband covered it well as we walked out: "What was the point of that?"
  82. MichaelC.
    Sep 14, 2001
    I looked at this film in many ways. At the start I found it excellent and intriguing, with full-on intelligence and well-built story. However, in the second half, I really started to dislike this film. I found it harder and harder to take seriously. The Flesh Flame thing was just silly, and some of those fantasy sets, although very impressive visually, were laughable. In the final third, I looked at this film in many ways. At the start I found it excellent and intriguing, with full-on intelligence and well-built story. However, in the second half, I really started to dislike this film. I found it harder and harder to take seriously. The Flesh Flame thing was just silly, and some of those fantasy sets, although very impressive visually, were laughable. In the final third, this movie impressed me just enough to get the score about a 4 or 5/10. The thing that really took me off this movie was its disappointingly uninteresting story. The central character David trying to find ?The Blue Fairy? to make a couple of wishes was dopey and silly and ruined the movie?s potential. However, I found this movie to be visually impressive, nice to look at, with some excellent set designs, a great performance from our little blessing Haley Joel Osment and a neat little teddy bear that steals the show. On the other side, the film was sometimes cheesy, mostly uninteresting through the acts and disappoints from the moment David (Haley Joel Osment) steps away from his family. This was one of the year?s most anticipated cinema events, and although it was average and just bearable, it could?ve been something so much more. Because we definitely don?t want to see another "Hook" do we, Steven Spielberg? Expand
  83. AaronS.
    Dec 31, 2002
    Brilliantly constructed, terribly ended. This movie wreaks of Kubrickian influence, which is why Stevo had to destroy an otherwise fantastic vision with some of the worst final twenty minutes of any quality film ever.
  84. J.W.
    Apr 28, 2002
    Based on the very mixed comments on this movie, I hesitated to pick it up and watch it. But after viewing it, it wasn't that bad. Defintely more Kubrick than Spielberg. The last half-hour was disjointed and a stretch though. [***Potential Spoilers***] Why was the robot company building robots in a half-sunken building in Mahattan? Where did the ice age suddenly come from? Why were Based on the very mixed comments on this movie, I hesitated to pick it up and watch it. But after viewing it, it wasn't that bad. Defintely more Kubrick than Spielberg. The last half-hour was disjointed and a stretch though. [***Potential Spoilers***] Why was the robot company building robots in a half-sunken building in Mahattan? Where did the ice age suddenly come from? Why were aliens visitng Earth, of all places in the universe? And what happened to David, who apparently has an energy source that lasts forever? Expand
  85. RobertP.
    Apr 29, 2002
    This movie would've been much better if Kubrick was still alive to direct it. Spielberg does a fair enough job, but the child-friendly Disney aspects ruin an otherwise dark and intriguing film.
  86. ToriD.
    May 16, 2002
    This movie was a huge disappointment. When you hear a name like Steven Spielberg you expect something good, but this was far from it. It was depressing and, in the end, left you wondering why any of the talented people would commit to such a drab movie.
  87. SayleyR.
    May 28, 2002
    The beginning was great and all the actors very talented but it was obvious they couldn't find any good ending and since Speilberg is such a sappy person and they didn't want to make it too long they just brought in aliens to make it all better. It saddens me that such an interesting and great thought was waisted on such an awful storyline, they never tie up the loose strings The beginning was great and all the actors very talented but it was obvious they couldn't find any good ending and since Speilberg is such a sappy person and they didn't want to make it too long they just brought in aliens to make it all better. It saddens me that such an interesting and great thought was waisted on such an awful storyline, they never tie up the loose strings about gigilo and his "father" and Martin it just ends all sappy. Expand
  88. K.W.
    Jul 27, 2002
    Excellent movie, great ending, thought by the way critics panned it, I was in for a medicore movie, but far exceeded my ....well you know.
  89. RobertT.
    Jul 28, 2002
    This movie was brilliant. I wish stanley could have been alive to add more input to it , but i think steven did it justice and the acting was superb. the dvd is filled with tons of lush extras for those thirsty for more. the movie itself is a truly touching story and is definently one to own. though you probably wont see yourself watching it everyday but one to own and watch from time toThis movie was brilliant. I wish stanley could have been alive to add more input to it , but i think steven did it justice and the acting was superb. the dvd is filled with tons of lush extras for those thirsty for more. the movie itself is a truly touching story and is definently one to own. though you probably wont see yourself watching it everyday but one to own and watch from time to time for sure. its great artistically, musically, and the story is great . Expand
  90. L.W.
    Sep 15, 2002
    This movie was HORRIBLE! What were these people thinking? This movie should've ended like ten times, but no, it kept going on and on and on! I don't know why people liked this movie because it had no point to it and it just plain sucked. This movie was a big flop for a reason!!!
  91. Layne
    Jul 24, 2003
    Without so much as an esscence of reality in the fictious world of Kubrick, the movie proves to be simply a bizarre failure with one of the most ridiculous endings to any film I've ever seen.
  92. ShaunT.
    Jul 31, 2003
    This is a fairly interesting, though devastatingly depressing film. The cast is good, but the overall mood of the film is so teary that it is near to impossible to enjoy. It is also overly long in its running time and, overall, it is way too depressing for its own good. Almost miserable to watch, although somewhat interesting to watch.
  93. Jeremy
    Sep 29, 2003
    An alternately brilliant and frustrating hybrid of two of Hollywood's greatest filmakers, who don't necesarily mix real well together. The last 30 minutes, especially fly off the track. Yet, A.I. is worth seeing just for ambitious alone, and of special performances by it's two leads, Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law.
  94. Michele
    Jan 14, 2004
    Wow. The idiocy of some these people never ceases to astound me. The movie was merely about feeling sorry for robots? Honestly, how stupid can a person be. Anyone with any sort of intelligence can easily see there is far more to the movie than than, unless you sleep through all but two minutes of it. A.I. may very well hold its own in our future. I mean, this movie makes a person ask him Wow. The idiocy of some these people never ceases to astound me. The movie was merely about feeling sorry for robots? Honestly, how stupid can a person be. Anyone with any sort of intelligence can easily see there is far more to the movie than than, unless you sleep through all but two minutes of it. A.I. may very well hold its own in our future. I mean, this movie makes a person ask him or herself what humanity really is. I guess you have to appreciate thought in order to enjoy such movies. Collapse
  95. BillyO.
    Jun 28, 2004
    A very weird and different movie! If you want to see something off the wall, see this. It was long and it kind of depressed me. It was a pretty good movie.
  96. JayZ.
    Jun 28, 2004
    One of the worst movie endings of all time. A just plain wierd film...
  97. CharlieW.
    Jul 19, 2005
    An incredible compilation of sadness, fantasy, and downright creepiness. Has some pretty funny moments. The only thing that someone may find wrong with this movie is its incredible length. Note to Lisa H., I'm only thirteen and I understood it just fine. Also, I don't feel the need to say "2" instead of "to" or use "gd" in place of "good."
  98. SeanP.
    Feb 24, 2007
    This film is one of my largest personal enigmas. I usually, almost always, find myself agreeing with the critics, and consequently, I use this site constantly and love it to death. But, there are 4 films that have gotten mixed metacritic scores which I totally cannot be without: Fight Club, Requiem for a Dream, The New World, and this one. And it's very weird indeed. I recognize that This film is one of my largest personal enigmas. I usually, almost always, find myself agreeing with the critics, and consequently, I use this site constantly and love it to death. But, there are 4 films that have gotten mixed metacritic scores which I totally cannot be without: Fight Club, Requiem for a Dream, The New World, and this one. And it's very weird indeed. I recognize that this movie is very far from perfect, is very meandering and self-indulgent and weird and incoherent, and yet while I am actually watching it, my eyes can't leave the freaking screen. It's just one of those very imperfect but very vivid and addicting pieces of art. Much of this film, especially the ending, feels much like a dream, maybe because dreams are also meandering and hazy and incoherent, but dreaming is still essential and likable. Much like this. Expand
  99. jonnyq
    Aug 24, 2008
    What appears to be a good movie, turns out to be disappointing and the production values of Senior Speilbergo cannot hide that. As Sean P said it is "is very meandering and self-indulgent and weird and incoherent" - and it is not an awful watch but not worth paying to see. It is strange because it is not a cult film (like Donnie Darko) but it is not woefully bad. It is very self indulgent What appears to be a good movie, turns out to be disappointing and the production values of Senior Speilbergo cannot hide that. As Sean P said it is "is very meandering and self-indulgent and weird and incoherent" - and it is not an awful watch but not worth paying to see. It is strange because it is not a cult film (like Donnie Darko) but it is not woefully bad. It is very self indulgent and plain weird. You won't find it difficult to understand and it raises some good points about AI but this is like a pretentious version of Pinnochio. I put the score of 10 so you would read this review - I don't know how to score this film - I may as well rate it as 'lemon pie'. Expand
  100. KolomanR.
    Jun 19, 2009
    Who knew sentimentality could be lifted to such artistic heights? Kubrick was spot on in his choice of director. This film is an unqualified masterpiece.

What we're left with -- Kubrick or no -- is a muddled, messy disaster of a film, something that seems more like a drastically edited miniseries, cut down to incomprehensible levels with whole sections missing.
  2. Pure magic, a three-act movie fantasy that transports us -- as the best films do -- to a world of its own, a place of ambiguous joy and delirious terror.
  3. Audiences may find that the deliberate, Kubrickesque pacing -- without his intellectual rigor -- causes them to tune out.